Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,750 members, 7,809,868 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:22 PM

Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister (11589 Views)

The Faith Of A New Business In This State Of Economy / Chadians, Ghanaians, Others Storm Nigeria For Dollars-the Nation / How To Earn Double Salary In The Face Of Economy Recession (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by JJYOU: 5:43pm On May 18, 2009
[size=18pt]Ghanaians fear Nigerian domination of economy –Minister[/size]
By Oyetunji Abioye
Published: Monday, 18 May 2009

Ghanaian Minister of Trade and Industry, Mrs. Hannah Tetteh, on Sunday threw an insight into why the alleged xenophobic feelings in her country had remained despite efforts at resolving it.

Ghanaian business men were accused of asking foreigners, including Nigerians to leave, for “dominating” their economy.

Tetteh, who spoke with journalists at a press conference at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, on Sunday, said Ghanaian traders were not happy that while Nigerian goods are having free access to the Ghanaian Market, Nigeria had refused to give such access to Ghanaian goods which come under Nigeria’s Import Prohibition List.

The minister said that Ghanaian traders believed that such ought not to be the Case under the economic integration policy on which the Economic Community of West Africa States was based.

According to her, she said following complaints by Ghanaian Trade Union Association, the ministry found out that some foreigners including Nigerians doing business at a certain area in Accra, were not in compliance with the $350,000 minimum capital required by non-Ghanaians to operate a business.

This, she said her ministry looked into and gave Nigerian businessmen a concession to come together and raise the capital, a development which Ghanaian traders were not still happy about, believing that Nigerians traders do not deserve such pointing to her Import prohibition policy.

Tetteh refuted an allegation that its government was further raising the stake for doing business from $350,000 to $1m, saying such was only a proposal for legislation raised by the Ghana Investment Promotion council, which was yet to get to Cabinet.

The Minister further said that all foreign banks operating in Ghana had been asked to recapitalise on or before December 31, 2009 in preparation for an “oil economy” which her country would start operating from next year, contrary to allegation that such was being targeted at Nigerian banks.

She said that Ghanaian banks had also being asked to do same before December 31, 2010 . On why there was difference in the compliance date, Tetteh, said, “such was only meant to be home advantage purpose.”

However, the Minister who was an official visit to Nigeria for the purpose said she had met with the Nigeria ’s Minister of Trade and Commerce, Mr. Humphrey Aba, and decision had been reached for the creation of a technical cooperation committee which would resolve the problem.   http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20090518135315
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by ShotCaller: 5:59pm On May 18, 2009
THIS IS CRAAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!, THEY HAVE MORE TO LOOSE THAN US, LETS GET TOUGH ON THIS GHANIAN NATION, THEY HAVE NEVER STOPPED BEIGN JEALOUSE OF NIGERIANS, WE SHOULD CUT OFF ALL TIES FROM THOSE CHARLIES, EVEN IN LONDON ITS SAME, WE ARE HAD WORKING PEOPLE, ALL WE GET IS HATE,,,ITS ABOUT TIME OUR GOVT WOKE UP, SLEEPY PRIIIICKSSS,
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by hilli666(m): 5:59pm On May 18, 2009
Well, it is only fair that we revise our import prohibition list. I also believe that our foreign policy practises, especially to our immediate neighbours should be revisited and revised. Nigeria will be a much more economically stable country, if we promote and encourage fair trade practises between our neighbours. IMO!
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by Jaytee67(m): 6:03pm On May 18, 2009
They said East or West, Home is best. Remember these Ghanaians have sent our compatriots parking in the past. A word is enough for the wise. Nigerians there should know how to play their games.
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by ikeyman00(m): 6:13pm On May 18, 2009
chie

ghana must go!! make we go make lebanese, chinese,and india come,

finally finally charles people will know what the time is!!

envious fools!!
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by ikeyman00(m): 6:18pm On May 18, 2009
nigeria should never never reverse any trade policy

the EEC members state de protect their farmers

else everyone get their

ghana should go to hellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

come down to london, see and wittness hmmmm evny at the highest order

i said and i wil said it again respect ghanains but never trust them, always use your sense

1 Like

Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by Theblessed(f): 6:54pm On May 18, 2009
You are absolutely, right!!!!!!

Because, Ghanians have been very insecure and jealous of Nigeria for a very long time.The only reason we are still friends is because we are cousins - Northern Ghana and Northern Nigeria speaks HAUSA - that's the only reason else, we would have sorted it out.

I was in a Ghanian shop two weeks ago plaiting my hair and one of the hair plaiters commented 'Well, Ghana has now got oil like Nigeria and there is nothing Nigerians can say to us now,'  I said, so you are jealous of Nigeria? Again, I said yes, you have been blessed like us but your people should be careful because this oil can be a blessing and a curse at the same time else you could end up like us, with corrupt politians screwing up the country.

Well, I'd leave Nigerians to make up their own minds about Ghana's attitude towards us.  

To that I should add, if Ghana feels this way, I wonder other African countries.  Everyone knows they don't like us but we don't care one bit.  Afterall, what many of them know today we Nigerians taught them e.g. they emulate our music, films, food, dressing and attitudes etc and who cares what they think. To Nigerians, the sky is the limit. Yes, Nigerians are proud and ambitious people and every Nigerian child is raised to look up instead of down.  What's wrong with that?  We don't look down, we look up no matter how wretched we are!  We are high achievers, go-getters and we learn quicker than other African countries if you doubt it, bring them on and you'd see what we are made of - they can't beat us. That's our nature. They will always be jealous of us and, we  should leave them with that - their problems, not ours.
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by dominictj(m): 7:03pm On May 18, 2009
I have noticed that the competittion between Nigeria and Ghana is becoming un-healthy & this is not good for both countries. However, it will only be fair if Nigeria revers her trade policy to accommodate her neighbours especially within the West African sub region.
What about the common laws binding trade within the West African region.
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by naijacutee(f): 7:11pm On May 18, 2009
Why are Nigerians so quick to be xenophobic? Even where we speak the same language, people will still pick at differences. If they don't want us, let us quietly pack and go (as they went when we also sent them packing), and see whether our departure will/will not affect their economy. No need for the insults.
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by untainted: 7:21pm On May 18, 2009
could somebody elaborate on the terms of engagement pls?
we really need to know if nigeria is falling short of stipulated
agreement or if ghana is actually guilty of protectionism
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by OneNaija(m): 7:34pm On May 18, 2009
Ghanaian they don't like Nigeria because we trade on their business and work places. I have gotten the job which a Ghana man needed because he does not have the skills that I have so they grant me the job one hand by a white man, the best club I give it to Nigerians and Banks and other thing you can think of , Nigeria have already develop Ghana Believe me or not they are jobless like most Nigerians in Lagos then the later News they are Into 419, crime if you don't believe me then come to Ghana just try to visit any of their Internet center you will see what i am talking about. so you can see where this Jealousy come from. Their girls are so cheap I am even tired of them. they hate Nigerians so deeply but you wont believe it. but Life goes on because i don't give a damn about any body.
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by tunde300us(m): 7:39pm On May 18, 2009
When will the hate between africans stop,i wont be surprise if this attack has an outside source.Once europeans see any african country getting better they always introduce them to hatism.

1 Like

Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by nazzyon(m): 7:41pm On May 18, 2009
It won't hurt if those Nigerian business men come back to their country to invest.

It will not only favour them, it will create employment for the citizens too.

Se bi na Ghanians them employ for their? If them leave Ghana unemployment go waya them, them go start ask people say make them come back.

Our economy would have been good, if all those people were in Nigeria.

No matter how small our contribution, someone will acknowledge.

Tell them all to come back home.
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by lagbaja(m): 8:05pm On May 18, 2009
There is no basis upon which to compare Nigeria and Ghana, we are a long way ahead of them. Their GDP is a fraction of ours. Forget all the hype about their power generation. How much megawatts are they even generating sef. Ghanains have a lot to loose if they drive Nigerians out of their economy. We introduced them to Online-Realtime banking. infact Zenith just won an award as the best bank in Ghana. If we pool out, it will be hell for them.
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by ikeyman00(m): 8:06pm On May 18, 2009
infact nigeria should sweep up all the west african country just like they did in ghana
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by ikeyman00(m): 8:07pm On May 18, 2009
ghana sweep nigeria out

maybe then, now and neveeeeeeeeeeeeeeer

they know it
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by tamme: 8:14pm On May 18, 2009
good news cool
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by damilola15: 8:20pm On May 18, 2009
Ghanaians being jealouse about Nigerians na today, for football dem dey jealouse, trade dem jealouse wetin dem no go jealose?
 You can never compare a Nigerian business person to his Ghanaian counterpart, just ask a Ghanaian trader "what's the last price" if he would not insult you.
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by Afam4eva(m): 8:28pm On May 18, 2009
Why won't other africans stop being jealous of us.
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by Afam4eva(m): 8:30pm On May 18, 2009
Nigerians have been banned from becoming doctors in south africa because according to the south africans we're a threat to their own doctors.
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by untainted: 8:44pm On May 18, 2009
does it mean u r dis-doctored in S/A or what? grin grin grin
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by tamme: 8:45pm On May 18, 2009
hmmm afam is that true, link please?
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by OneNaija(m): 8:50pm On May 18, 2009
Well I don't blame those country i blame Our Bad Leader.We have good peoples that work outside Nigeria. They are bless and talented.Check out every companies that work here in Ghana. they are almostly own by Nigerians or Lebanon or Asia. Believe me Nigeria are bless We just need a good Leader who will take us forward. Nigeria Hurricane is Leadership.
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by AmAlone: 10:16pm On May 18, 2009
Ghanians have always being jealous of Nigerians
and that is that!
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by Theblessed(f): 11:57pm On May 18, 2009
Well, in terms of international trade, I think 'fair is fair'.  Nigeria has to reciprocate fairly to her trading partners.  Afterall, we have greater advantage and more to gain than them.  They want to access our market because of our vast population and this is good for the Nigerian consumer as competition would bring prices down - let in the neighbouring markets and save our people from suffering this never ending inflated and hiked up prices of goods in Ngerian that are well beyond the reach of vast majority of poor Nigerians.  Please, open the door and let the markets compete at least Nigerian consumers would for the first time in their lives not only get durable and quality goods but also value for money as prices comes crumbling down.  Thus, unscrupulous suppliers/traders would then tidy up their acts - if their goods are not of quality, consumers would vote with their feet and put them out of business for good.  Europe enjoys this, why shouldn't Africans?  For the suppliers and traders, its up to them to  smarten up or be put out of business and that's good for the consumer.  We enjoy quality goods in Europe and, I want the same for our people too.

As for our National security, I don't even know how sophisticated our army is now.  Whether they are still sharing one gun between 3 soldiers or what?  And our Navy, how many canoes they've got not to talk of Aircraft Carriers.lol!!! What about our Airforce? How many fighter Jets are there?  1 or 2  That would do and we can start the world war 3 with that.  How about our police?  I bet they are still in that Colonial uniform: the brown Khaki short/shirt and that round colonial helmet and with bartons in their hands? That would also do, too.  Now, we can show down on any neighbouring country that challenges us and we will win.  At least, everyone knows our national security in the 21st Century, is non-existent compared to countries similar to ours.  If challenged now, we are all doomed.  Shame!!!
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by BenHundred(m): 12:40am On May 19, 2009
Jealous Ghanaians. Be productive and you wouldn't have to be worried about Nigerians in your country.
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by goodboybad(m): 1:03am On May 19, 2009
I think we Nigerians have a lot to learn from Ghana. Thier GDP may be a fraction of ours, but thier per Capita is much higher. This means that a person with the same qualification will likely earn more in Ghana than in Nigeria. Thier democracy is more stable and less corrupt than ours, and so is thier private sector. They have just been cursed with crude oil, but I hope they learn from our mistakes.
As an African, I am dismayed by the ill feeling between Nigerian and Ghanaians. I wish we could streamline our trade laws and partner more effectively with them.
The fact that most of our trade and communications occur with non-African countries is what keeps us weak and divided. If we had more links with each other we would be stronger.
I really hope we are able to reconcile our differences.
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by BenHundred(m): 1:18am On May 19, 2009
goodboybad:

I think we Nigerians have a lot to learn from Ghana. Thier GDP may be a fraction of ours, but thier per Capita is much higher. This means that a person with the same qualification will likely earn more in Ghana than in Nigeria. Thier democracy is more stable and less corrupt than ours, and so is thier private sector. They have just been cursed with crude oil, but I hope they learn from our mistakes.
As an African, I am dismayed by the ill feeling between Nigerian and Ghanaians. I wish we could streamline our trade laws and partner more effectively with them.
The fact that most of our trade and communications occur with non-African countries is what keeps us weak and divided. If we had more links with each other we would be stronger.
I really hope we are able to reconcile our differences.
Sorry to say but this is all lies. We have a higher GDP than Ghana and we have nothing we to learn from them, I'm not saying we are superior but we are ahead of Ghana in every aspect.
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by Abrantie: 2:20am On May 19, 2009
Fvck Nigerians. You are all viruses, a bunch off losers and cowards. I didn't have to go far on this site to see how citizens could allow themselves to be continuously gang raped for years, and still think it's normal. Yeah, bitches and wimps, don't cross my path in Ghana because I'll let you have it.
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by BenHundred(m): 2:56am On May 19, 2009
Abrantie:

Fvck Nigerians. You are all viruses, a bunch off losers and cowards. I didn't have to go far on this site to see how citizens could allow themselves to be continuously gang raped for years, and still think it's normal. Yeah, bitches and wimps, don't cross my path in Ghana because I'll let you have it.
Ok we have heard you my fellow deranged Ghanaian, we won't cross your path because you are in Ghana and we won't be looking for anything there[ not even sun burn]. Now you can kindly leave our beloved Nairaland and go register on your own Cediland. grin grin
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by IykeD1(m): 3:35am On May 19, 2009
Whats all this Ghana hating all about? It looks like Ghana is getting set to eclipse Nigeria from
a lot of things, do I detect some jealousy and envy from Nigerians?

You can't blame Ghana or anyone else, Nigeria's reputation leaves a lot to be desired. Don't you
see a trend, first South Africa, now Ghana. Maybe they are trying to tell you guys something -
try fixing your shit at home and give us some breathing space!
Re: Ghanaians Fear Nigerian Domination Of Economy –minister by sosisi(f): 3:48am On May 19, 2009
Abrantie:

Fvck Nigerians. You are all viruses, a bunch off losers and cowards. I didn't have to go far on this site to see how citizens could allow themselves to be continuously gang raped for years, and still think it's normal. Yeah, bitches and wimps, don't cross my path in Ghana because I'll let you have it.

Oh sharap! kweku amponsah
you should be happy our people are coming over there to bring some beauty into Ghana
bunch of ugly  red lipped creatures grin
I hope your pedestrians wear neon signs at night since you all practically blend in with the night
It should be a law

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigeria Inflation rate Drops To 15.99% In October - as food prices ease / 46.7 Million Nigerian Bank Accounts Dormant / "CARD NOT SMART" What Does This Really Mean !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.