Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,809 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:59 AM

Why Do Marriages Fail? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Why Do Marriages Fail? (6811 Views)

Revealed: 10 Avoidable Reasons Why MOST Marriages Fail... / Reasons Why Most Marriages Fail In Nigeria / Why Do Marriages Fail? What We Can Do To Keep Our Marriage. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Marriages Fail? by slap1(m): 5:28pm On May 27, 2009
i've asked myself this question several times and the reason i decided to ask it here is i don't see my marriage failing though i'm not married yet. do you think i shud wait and see? but, seriously, why do u think some marriages fail? cool
Re: Why Do Marriages Fail? by angelgirl1(f): 9:24pm On May 27, 2009
It is a good thing that they fail, hmmph! I think most people marry not for love and that is a real drag,
Re: Why Do Marriages Fail? by ElRazur: 9:31pm On May 27, 2009
angelgirl1:

It is a good thing that they fail, hmmph! I think most people marry not for love and that is a real drag,

They probably fail because of women like you? Here is the proof. grin

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-277181.0.html
Re: Why Do Marriages Fail? by olanajim(m): 9:51pm On May 27, 2009
firstly, marriage is not all about love. There are marriage that are devoid of love that actually survive the test of time. I know many people will dipute this, but i am ready to take the challenge when it come.

secondly, most marriage nowaday are contracted based on selfish expectation. It is no wonder why they fail, eventually,

personally, I think marriage fail when the cost of staying together is more than the cost of staying apart. Many people run their marriage on deficit. They keep withdrawing without depoositing somethin into it until they run out of resource.
Re: Why Do Marriages Fail? by Secretz(f): 9:56pm On May 27, 2009
People don't know their God given roles. tongue
Re: Why Do Marriages Fail? by oreofemi(f): 10:12pm On May 27, 2009
some marriage fail because women are willing to respect husband and some do fail because they did not pray about it and that is the most important part.
Re: Why Do Marriages Fail? by Oxone(m): 5:55am On May 28, 2009
cos most marry for all the wrong reasons & have unrealistic expectations
Re: Why Do Marriages Fail? by puskin: 10:59am On May 28, 2009
Many couples marry 4d wrong reasons nd decreasing trust 4 each other
Re: Why Do Marriages Fail? by smooooooth: 11:08am On May 28, 2009
cos most pple dnt have the patience to make it a success.
Re: Why Do Marriages Fail? by Nobody: 11:24am On May 28, 2009
When marriage has reached a stage,d concept of gravity comes into play 'what goes up must surely come down' the love that was once so high up,then starts to come down,the love then begins to die,thats when all other bad things begin to creep into the marital homes like infidelity,maltreatment,hate, not comfortable with your spouse, and even d romance part dies too. Thats y its not good to venture into a marriage when u're not fully convinced about d person u're marryin or not prayed about him/her.Some people marry because he's got money,he's cute,he's got great shape,n he's my kind of man 6'0 + and so on.It is advisable that once married,try as much as possible to spice up ur romantic life n not becomin a woman who keeps on tying wrapper just because she has given birth,even if na me i go tire self
Re: Why Do Marriages Fail? by biola44: 11:26am On May 28, 2009
olanajim:

firstly, marriage is not all about love. There are marriage that are devoid of love that actually survive the test of time. I know many people will dipute this, but i am ready to take the challenge when it come.

secondly, most marriage nowaday are contracted based on selfish expectation. It is no wonder why they fail, eventually,

personally, I think marriage fail when the cost of staying together is more than the cost of staying apart. Many people run their marriage on deficit. They keep withdrawing without depoositing somethin into it until they run out of resource.

well said grin
Re: Why Do Marriages Fail? by ononogbu(f): 6:26pm On May 28, 2009
Know solid foundation I mean (spouse they are not trusting themselves and know genuine love) shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
Re: Why Do Marriages Fail? by Nobody: 6:27pm On May 28, 2009
because we want the perfect one.
Re: Why Do Marriages Fail? by nene1: 5:25am On May 29, 2009
olanajim:

That's very true. Marriage is not all about a fairytale of love like Western television likes to depict it. Although I do not support arranged marriages, there is a reason why most of them last longer than the average western marriage, which is based on so called love. I think people should choose who they marry, but a strong culture and religious values is very important in a marriage to me. That is why marriages in Africa tend to last long. Many people complain that with Africans you don't only marry the person, but their whole family. I don't see anything wrong with that because marriage is not only about the two of you, the immediate family matter as well, because you will be an extension of the family and that includes your children too. I would want a marriage where my in-laws and my parents get along well.

I also think feminism in the western world might make woman try too much to act like the man. I am not the type of woman that would let my man treat me like a maid, but I do feel like the man should be the head of the household. You can't go into marriage expecting your husband to be the perfect prince. Also some women also marry for money. Now you know those marriages never last, b/c once the money is gone so is the woman.

I am not married yet, but when I do, I will marry someone that I know I want to be with forever and have children and grandchildren. Basically, in choosing a man I would ask myself

1. Is this the person I want to wake up next to everyday?
2. Is this the person I would want to be the father of my children?
3. How is he with his family, especially his mother? That would give me an insight on how he is with women.
4. How is he with my family? Do they like him? If they don't approve of him, I would really sit down and think why they would not since they would only want the best for me.
5. How does he feel about me staying a virgin till marriage? Now if he stays with me knowing that, then I know he really cares. If not, he would just move on to the another girl since I'm not the only girl with a *****. To me giving it up won't make you special or unique to him since he can get sex from any girl.
6. Is he handsome? (LOL, just kidding!).

Well that's just my criteria.  I hope it's successful in the future lol,
Re: Why Do Marriages Fail? by Ejadamen(f): 2:56pm On May 29, 2009
Because people marry for the wrong reasons e.g. money, sex, getting old etc. One thing that amazes me is when i see couples who are not friends with each other and/or who don't trust each other. After the thrill of sex is gone, what are they going to live on? The phrase shine your eye is very important before marriage. Also i just cannot comprehend why a person will marry someone they do not love
Re: Why Do Marriages Fail? by Fhemmmy: 3:18pm On May 29, 2009
could fail for too many reasons.
1. Financial reasons
2. Lack of love
3. Lost love.
4. Lust over another
5. Lack of good sex
6. Outside parties
7. Too much complain and family issues.
8. Many others
Re: Why Do Marriages Fail? by bridget007(f): 4:39pm On May 29, 2009
My case,
Re: Why Do Marriages Fail? by rubi(f): 6:14pm On May 29, 2009
b/c people expect too much from their partner after marriage without adjusting their mind
Re: Why Do Marriages Fail? by Nija4Life(m): 2:31pm On Aug 05, 2009
The best way to answer your question would be to find out why some marriages are succesful. I am a strong believer in going into marriage with the right positive attitude instead of worrying why it could fail. Remember every marriage is unique in its own right and finding what works for you and your partner is very crucial, never try and adopt other people's ideals if it doesn't work for you
Re: Why Do Marriages Fail? by Ben13: 3:05pm On Aug 05, 2009
Lack of money.
Re: Why Do Marriages Fail? by eplanner: 3:17pm On Aug 05, 2009
Do you love yourself? You have to love yourself first before you can love someone.

“To say 'I love you' one must first be able to say the 'I'.”
~Ayn Rand

Rand touches on a point that is worth exploring. You have to know and love YOU before even trying to love anyone else.

Have you heard yourself saying any of these things?

“I’m never going to find someone.”
“I can’t believe this happened… again.”
“I don’t want to just be friends, I want a girl/boyfriend.”
“I’m sick of playing games. I just want people to be real.”
“Maybe I need to focus on my career right now… love can wait.”

It’s as if you have tried EVERYTHING to find that one person that loves you, and no matter what you do, you can't find love.

Well, here's a little secret about attraction:

Learning how to love yourself is the foundation of any love relationship.
If you don't love YOU, you can't love anyone else. Period.

What does loving yourself mean?

BEING AWARE - Knowing who you are, how you act, what you believe, and why you think certain ways. Knowing your boundaries, strengths and weaknesses.

BEING VALUABLE - Recognizing your own worth and the validity of your opinions. Providing value to others because you tap into your individual talents.

BEING YOUR OWN BEST FRIEND - Liking, respecting, and trusting yourself. Treating yourself well. Taking care of your needs.

BEING ASSERTIVE
- Confidently expressing your unique "I" in the world. Being proactive rather than reactive and staying true to yourself.

BEING COMMITTED - Acting in accordance with your personal development or spiritual growth. Making "growth" your number one priority.

BEING SELFISH (or SELF-MINDFUL) - Respecting yourself and not tolerating disrespect from others. Neither sacrificing yourself to others, nor letting others sacrifice themselves to you.

BEING RESPONSIBLE
- Knowing that you are ultimately responsible for all outcomes in your life, positive and negative, and that you alone make the choices which create your experience.

BEING HAPPY ALONE - Enjoying your own company and using solitude for nourishment to reboot your energy. That way you can share love without getting depleted.

The most important person in your life is you. The person who you love the most in the world should be you! Why not? Who better than you?

"YOU" are the one person you have to spend every waking moment of your life with.

"YOU" are the only person who will be there for you when no one else is.

"YOU" are all you have no matter what.

When you first love yourself, you will give yourself what you need. You will become highly attractive to others because you are coming to them out of wholeness, not out of a repulsive neediness. You will be able to have fulfilling relationships, and you will have no problem ending relationships which don't serve your growth.

The concept is simple, though it isn't easy to learn how to love yourself. It's going to take some hard work. Are you ready for it?

By becoming self-mindful, taking it step-by-step, and developing self-confidence, you can increase your overall happiness in love and life.

All you have to do is FIRST LOVE YOU and everything else will fall into place.
Re: Why Do Marriages Fail? by Fhemmmy: 3:49pm On Aug 05, 2009
Trust, Financial wahala, family issues
Re: Why Do Marriages Fail? by eniolape: 10:06am On Aug 06, 2009
@e-planner

You a say d truth.
Re: Why Do Marriages Fail? by Ben13: 2:51pm On Aug 06, 2009
sometimes, it's the fight for bed space.
Re: Why Do Marriages Fail? by Fhemmmy: 3:06pm On Aug 06, 2009
Ben20001:

sometimes, it's the fight for bed space.

is that truly possible?
Re: Why Do Marriages Fail? by Nobody: 2:45pm On Aug 08, 2009
Marriage failure is as a result of many factors. but consider sex as one of the vital factor for a solid marriage, if both knows what to do and do it well at the right time there will be no problems. get this book ''HOW TO STOP YOUR HUSBAND’S EXTRA-MARITAL AFFAIR'' at :
www.infidelitysolution.
Re: Why Do Marriages Fail? by mamagee6(f): 4:24pm On Aug 08, 2009
I don't know.
Re: Why Do Marriages Fail? by alterego2: 5:23pm On Aug 08, 2009
Because people's psyches have become horrendously f-ucked up. undecided
Re: Why Do Marriages Fail? by Pastorcare: 3:11pm On Aug 12, 2009
Marriages fail when commitment fails. Without commitment, responsibility is eroded. And marriage is all about being accountable and responsible to the needs of others. For further information, visit www.marriagecity..com or write to marriagecity@gmail.com
Re: Why Do Marriages Fail? by sexyLeamon(f): 12:31pm On Aug 13, 2009
Lack of commitment, lack of communication skills, lack of trust and selfishness.
Re: Why Do Marriages Fail? by pecu5: 1:04pm On Aug 13, 2009
i believe COMMUNICATION is d one of the vital key; ability to talk abt everytin no matter hw painful will kip ur marriage 4m falling apart
Re: Why Do Marriages Fail? by guvnor1: 1:26pm On Aug 13, 2009
lack of bedroom skills

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Since Today Is Father's Day. What Are You Going To Get For Your Fathers? / Men Should Stop Sucking Their Wife’s Breast, It’s For Babies – Daily Post. / Ladies If You Saw A Co Worker Or Stranger With His Fly Open,will You Tell Him?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.