Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,165 members, 7,811,374 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:30 AM

Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba - Culture (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba (15420 Views)

10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs / Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society / Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by tamme: 10:12pm On Jun 01, 2009
$osisi:

You must be very stupid.
have you heard anyone defend Okija?
Benin is the seat of rituals and idolatory in Nigeria, that's no news
I lived in Benin.
It's the only place I've ever seen a man and his children naked and carrying pots on their heads chanting incantations and walking on a straight line.
every part of Benin is riddled with juju
on mainroads,around trees,at crossroads
there's juju hanging off of everywhere in that city but for Idahosa who God used to bring some light in that place
It's the only place you saw idol worshippers in large numbers in broad daylight sacrificing animals to their gods under a tree
Very fetish place
Keep defending a retarded law.
tradition my hammer toes

will you SHUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT UP

arent you the idiot that was defending okija shrine the other day. idiot
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by asha80(m): 10:13pm On Jun 01, 2009
@tamme

Are u a fool?
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by mccloud224(m): 10:14pm On Jun 01, 2009
Is this palmkernel debate still on?
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by tamme: 10:16pm On Jun 01, 2009
asha 80:

@tamme

Are u a fool?

tell that to your bestfriend osisi
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by mccloud224(m): 10:19pm On Jun 01, 2009
Na wa ooo.See wetin palmkernel dey cause for my people.

Osisi?Ke kwanu?
Okokomeji?How far?
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by oderemo(m): 10:25pm On Jun 01, 2009
GUYS make una relax now , at worst make una bypass benin city next time , abi.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by SapeleGuy: 10:26pm On Jun 01, 2009
$osisi:

You must be very stupid.
have you heard anyone defend Okija?
Benin is the seat of rituals and idolatory in Nigeria, that's no news
I lived in Benin.
It's the only place I've ever seen a man and his children naked and carrying pots on their heads chanting incantations and walking on a straight line.
every part of Benin is riddled with juju
on mainroads,around trees,at crossroads
there's juju hanging off of everywhere in that city but for Idahosa who God used to bring some light in that place
It's the only place you saw idol worshippers in large numbers in broad daylight sacrificing animals to their gods under a tree
Very fetish place
Keep defending a retarded law.
tradition my hammer toes

The insults only prove you don't have a point. Please provide the evidence to back up your claims.

In the meantime, here is some evidence in addition to Okija, I'm sure you recognise your Governor.

And you have the temerity to criticise others?
Happy Viewing!
http://www.pointblanknews.com/os269.html
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by beystwin: 10:29pm On Jun 01, 2009
okokomeji:

@Gaggi. To hell with your untraceable lineage and tradition. Without being pretentious or ostentatious, I would unequivocally say with my Phd degree I am more exposed and better off than every last of your family. I know you are jealous of my enviable credentials, you be like that could have been mine. Your jackass has to earn it. I won't lie I studied in abroad on a platter of gold. I started getting scholarship right from my primary school because of my superior ability among my peers. I set standard in everything I do. I got all A's in my SSCE and SAT score of 1560/1600. This gave me free-ride scholarship for my whole academic years. After college, before going to graduate school for my PhD, I wanted to become US citizen and I considered joining US Navy. I took the Asvab military examination, after the results came out. They separated me from the crowd and asked me how did I do it? After few months being in Navy, I realized I was not destined for the routine o military. I considered going to graduate school as my last resort. I took GRE exam and I score 1540/1600. I got admitted to Ivy League. All my life, my grade never dropped below 97 percentile. I started a job with fortune 500 company, and earning a few thousands away from six-figure salaries. Nothing better than that! Let me know about your story too since you are the only passed through school. I could tell by your naivety that you are not my type. Everything I say is fact, I use goggle sometimes because it's the most powerful cache or citadel of knowledge I know for sure. Majority of the sightings, quotes and evidence is what I have accumulated over a long time and had been[b] imbibed [/b] in my system. You can figure that out within ten to twenty minutes of typing on the forum. It has to be pa[b]r[/b]ked and parceled in your system.
Your lame ass comments don’t mean you have the necessary skills to analysis deductive argument or evaluate inference critical reading.

I am sitting here reading your post and laughing.
PhD? In what - poor spelling and grammar??
You are a fraud. Whom did you have to bribe to get your "PhD"? The examination board must have been drunk, or apes, or both.
Una no go finish me with laughter.
Maybe you should write in your native tongue. grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by mccloud224(m): 10:37pm On Jun 01, 2009
Hmm, all this wahala because of palm nut.Na wa ooo.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by SapeleGuy: 10:44pm On Jun 01, 2009
beystwin:

I am sitting here reading your post and laughing.
PhD? In what - poor spelling and grammar??
You are a fraud. Whom did you have to bribe to get your "PhD"? The examination board must have been drunk, or apes, or both.
Una no go finish me with laughter.
Maybe you should write in your native tongue. grin

LOL- Perhaps the PhD was in English. With gems like 'I studied in abroad on a platter of gold' or ' necessary skills to analysis deductive argument or evaluate inference critical reading.' I think we have found a real star!!!
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by beystwin: 10:49pm On Jun 01, 2009
SapeleGuy:

LOL- Perhaps the PhD was in English. With gems like 'I studied in abroad on a platter of gold' or ' necessary skills to analysis deductive argument or evaluate inference critical reading.' I think we have found a real star!!!

LOL  grin I thought he was joking, but turns out he's dead serious in his post! shocked
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by mccloud224(m): 10:54pm On Jun 01, 2009
Huhuhuhuhahahaha.Palm nut warfare.Huhuhuhhahahaha grin
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by grafikdon: 11:03pm On Jun 01, 2009
@ Sapeleguy, I think you are the only one who is beating the drum of ethnic antagonism with the injection of some unnecessary inflammatory and derogatory lines, aimed at denigrating some ethnic groups.

Perhaps you have been deeply immersed in the putrid quagmire of ethnic antagonism that you brand everyone with a divergent view an ethnic bigot.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by naijaking1: 11:03pm On Jun 01, 2009
SapeleGuy:

What I have witnessed here, is a need for the 1. so called majority ethnicities to validate their self importance by denigrating other ethnic nationalities. This is clearly driven by  low self esteem and a liberal dose of inferiority complex /coconut syndrome that makes them think that African religions can't be accorded the same level of respect as the imported religions.

When you examine some of these arguments, it is clear that 2. the critics do not have a culture that is highly respected the world over, with exhibits in museums across the globe as a testament to African civilisation and metallurgy. Please ask these critics what their culture has contributed to the nation.
The Bini culture is a source of pride not just to the Edo, but to Nigeria and the whole of Africa. 3. Dahomey changed their name to the Republic of Benin in recognition of their ancestry.
Finally, the 4. motives of a poster who posts an article with the sole objective of ridiculing another ethnic nationality is really driven by tribalism.
With the 5. Okija human sacrificial shrine and its attendant horrors still fresh in our minds, it is the height of hypocrisy and obfuscation to question palm bunches.

1. This has nothing to do with tribal bashing. There has been superstitious cases from the so-called major tribes, so please don't change the topic into a tribal bashing issue shocked

2. Even if the critics don't have a respected culture and exhibit does that explain why modern Nigerians have to deal with such backward looking decree from a superstitious oba?  Metallurgy? What metallurgy
You really believe Edo people made the bronze mask laying in a European museum? If you say yes, I'll simply ask you to show me another one you have made since then. With your scientific and metallurgical advancement, you should have known that a poor palm fuit bunch has no power to cause demonic omen, and blood letting among your people cheesy

3. Don't fool yourself, Dahomey changed its name after the bight of Benin, not because of a more direct blood relationship compared to the Yorubas angry
4. Motive of the poster? Well, that was simply a newspaper article. You should be asking for the motive of the publisher, and the publisher should be trying to see whether the oba and his chiefs are indeed insane cool

5. Your referrence to Okija nullifies point #1, because most Igbo people condenmed the practice. The Igwe of Okija never issued a decree ratifying that unfortunate incident, so what's your point lipsrsealed
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by SapeleGuy: 11:13pm On Jun 01, 2009
grafikdon:

@ Sapeleguy, I think you are the only one who is beating the drum of ethnic antagonism with the injection of some unnecessary inflammatory and derogatory lines, aimed at denigrating some ethnic groups.

Perhaps you have been deeply immersed in the putrid quagmire of ethnic antagonism that you brand everyone with a divergent view an ethnic bigot.

I only asked that we show each other respect and religious tolerance, particularly when the said practices are causing no harm to anybody.
As  I said Okija still continues with its sacrifices and nobody has been brought to book, that is a travesty and more important than palm bunches.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by Krayola(m): 12:12am On Jun 02, 2009
I wish we just listened to each other more instead of talkin over each other. Everyone assumes everybody else is stupid and won't even take the arguments they make seriously.

We say traditions are backward and hinder progress. .  look at china, look at the Oil rich Arab countries. . they hold on to their traditions (however ancient and "primitive"wink, language, etc while importing western ideas, technology, etc. They are making more progress that we can dream of. This idea that we can not preserve our traditions and progress at the same time is misguided in my opinion. Although i agree that we need to discard certain practices, we can't give up everything that makes us Africans.

Look at us making fun of a Nigerian because he has bad grammar. . is English our first language? I had a retired sociology professor in one of my courses last term (he was a student). . He used to do research at the University of Waterloo (I know that because we discussed it, i'm not going to assume he taught because i honestly don't know). He is of Chinese origin and his spoken English leaves a lot to be desired. I wonder how impressive his grammar is (written). . .

I just wish we took each others arguments in the best possible way and responded politely. . we would be getting so much more out of this
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by sosisi(f): 1:01am On Jun 02, 2009
SapeleGuy:

The insults only prove you don't have a point. Please provide the evidence to back up your claims.

In the meantime, here is some evidence in addition to Okija, I'm sure you recognise your Governor.

And you have the temerity to criticise others?
Happy Viewing!
http://www.pointblanknews.com/os269.html

Maybe I should have taken pictures of you and your family dangling their blokoss and chanting incantations in Ekosodin
gerrout and kiss a palm fruit
ode!
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by naijaking1: 1:08am On Jun 02, 2009
Does anybody like the combination of Osisi+tamme+asha 80, or am I the only person that gets the kick out of these sistas?
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by sosisi(f): 1:08am On Jun 02, 2009
SapeleGuy:

You asked for evidence eh kwa?
OK here it is

Pastor confesses, We use human heads to prepare prosperity rituals for church members A pastor and his wife are now cooling their heels in police cell in[b] Benin-City [/b] for allegedly using human heads to prepare rituals for church members. (, ) The couple who gave their names as Benjamin and Patience Ojobu were arrested last weekend allegedly with fresh human head in their house, after the police got a petition alleging that the couple engaged in using human skulls to prepare charms for worshippers in their church. (, ) You are a man of God in this white garment church. Why are you involved in rituals?
Yes, I am a man of God. But I do this outside church hours. I am both a native doctor and a man of God.
May 31, 2008

Lynching of Benin Wizard
The jungle justice meted out to a[b] suspected wizard in Benin City barely a week ago has once again raised fears that another round of witch-hunting and lynching may be about to happen in the Edo State capital[/b]. The incident also raises the larger question of pervading belief in the existence of witchcraft in Nigeria and Edo State in particular.

The last major center of human sacrifice was the Benin Empire in modern Nigeria shocked shocked shocked. The Benin Empire agreed with the British to prohibit human sacrifice in the 1890s. However, for five years the rulers continued human sacrifice on a large scale. After an incident in which British observers were killed in order to prevent them witnessing human sacrifice, the British authorities assembled forces to conquer the Benin Empire. This caused an escalation of human sacrifice as Benin's rulers sought to protect themselves from Britain by appeasing the Gods with sacrifice. shocked shocked shocked After a brief campaign the Benin Empire was conquered and human sacrifice suppressed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_sacrifice

Next time you mention Okija, remember that those idiots learnt it from the professional idiots who have been sacrificing human since time immemorial In Bini

now you look for the rest,you're not paying me  wink
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by Krayola(m): 1:12am On Jun 02, 2009
@naijaking. . . I don laugh nearly die.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by naijaking1: 1:14am On Jun 02, 2009
Krayola:

@naijaking. . . I don laugh nearly die.
Can you afford not to love those girls kiss
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by tunku(m): 1:20am On Jun 02, 2009
I admire your attempts at moderation Karoyola but idiocy shouldn't be tolerate. I am not insulting them just to be mean. I am only pointing out their own follies. They trip over themselves in trying to intellectualize a backwards practice. This isn't to say that all native practices are useless, as cultural fonts that strengthen ethnic identity they are useful, but if the aim is to dictate the lives of people based on visceral evidence predicated on nothing more than ignorance then no, that practice shouldn't continue. Are you going to sit and say that these people should be humored? The less of their kind that are around the better off Nigeria will be.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by sosisi(f): 1:26am On Jun 02, 2009
naijaking1:

Can you afford not to love those girls kiss

tamme is a confirmed witch in Akwa Ibom grin
Thank God she made it to nairaland for safety
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by mccloud224(m): 1:32am On Jun 02, 2009
Hmmm.The saga of the delicious palm nut continues kiss
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by naijaking1: 1:37am On Jun 02, 2009
mccloud224:

Hmmm.The saga of the delicious palm nut continues kiss
Do you like your palm fruits cooked, roasted, or toasted? With or without the branches
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by mccloud224(m): 1:45am On Jun 02, 2009
Do you like your palm fruits cooked, roasted, or toasted? With or without the branches

Roasted,Toasted,Boiled,Fried=cooked.

I prefer them fried and the branches make good brooms.Such a precious and eco-friendly plant. embarassed
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by sosisi(f): 1:50am On Jun 02, 2009
I like mine on a bunch, oba's nightmare  grin
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by naijaking1: 1:54am On Jun 02, 2009
mccloud224:

Roasted,Toasted,Boiled,Fried=cooked.

I prefer them fried and the branches make good brooms.Such a precious and eco-friendly plant. embarassed

I agree, tree for tree, palm is the most economically viable in Nigeria.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by naijaking1: 1:58am On Jun 02, 2009
$osisi:

I like mine on a bunch, oba's nightmare grin
How would you like to invite the oba to a dinner of palm fruits, palm kernel, and palm oil; all washed down with strong palm wine on the rock tongue
He might even enjoy it undecided
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by seyibrown(f): 2:00am On Jun 02, 2009
Una no go kill person for this Nairaland o! I don laugh tire! grin grin
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by sosisi(f): 2:02am On Jun 02, 2009
naijaking1:

How would you like to invite the oba to a dinner of palm fruits, palm kernel, and palm oil; all washed down with strong palm wine on the rock tongue
He might even enjoy it undecided

Chukwu aju!

They may capture me and present to him as a junior wife.
He has a large palace.
They may chain me down on a bedpost in one of his dungeons grin
I fear those so called traditional men
they can do and undo

Go to Isiala Ngwa and ask about Enweremadu
I hear he has a room that he enters to go to London grin
No visa no air ticket,he just enters one small room and does abracadabra,next thing you know,he's on Liverpool Street.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by naijaking1: 2:17am On Jun 02, 2009
I go die laughing-o---ooooooooooooo grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Hii! Vot For This Half Kenyan/nigerian Girlll Miss--competition / Ukwuani People, This Is For You / The Beautiful City Of Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.