Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,157 members, 7,811,335 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:32 AM

Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba - Culture (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba (15419 Views)

10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs / Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society / Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by naijaking1: 5:45pm On Jun 01, 2009
beystwin:

these are key words:The Oba did not ban palm fruits in Benin.
While you're bent on word-play, please tell us how banning public display of the fruit bunches at the market and other public places helps palm fruit industry?
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by beystwin: 5:45pm On Jun 01, 2009
tunku:

Biina you misguided fool, are you really trying to argue that the Monarchy in the U.k. is nothing but a figure-head? That its functions isn't merely ceremonial? Hahaha, Yeah, Lizzy is the one who decides who runs the country, the PM your mps chose is dismissed at the whims of the queen. Oh god, thanks for the laugh. You idiots really are something else. And here I thought Tony Blair/Brown  and Labour have been the ones running the U.K. for the past 12 years. Apparently its "heeellloooo" Elizabeth. Next you'll claim that the Kennedy are descendants of Arthur.

Actually, you are wrong.

Quoting from Wikipedia:

The Royal Prerogative includes the powers to appoint and dismiss ministers, regulate the civil service, issue passports, declare war, make peace, direct the actions of the military, and negotiate and ratify treaties, alliances, and international agreements. However, a treaty cannot alter the domestic laws of the United Kingdom; an Act of Parliament is necessary in such cases. The monarch is commander in chief of the Armed Forces (the Royal Navy, the British Army, and the Royal Air Force), accredits British High Commissioners and ambassadors, and receives diplomats from foreign states.

It is the prerogative of the monarch to summon, prorogue and dissolve Parliament. Each parliamentary session begins with the monarch's summons. The new parliamentary session is marked by the State Opening of Parliament, during which the Sovereign reads the Speech from the Throne in the Chamber of the House of Lords, outlining the Government's legislative agenda. Prorogation usually occurs about one year after a session begins, and formally concludes the session. Dissolution ends a parliamentary term, and is followed by a general election for all seats in the House of Commons. Again, these powers are always exercised on the Prime Minister's advice. The timing of a dissolution is affected by a variety of factors. No parliamentary term may last more than five years; at the end of this period, a dissolution is automatic under the Parliament Act 1911. However, the Prime Minister normally chooses the most politically opportune moment for his or her party. Per the Lascelles Principles, the Sovereign may theoretically refuse a dissolution, but the circumstances under which such an action would be warranted are unclear.[20] Before a bill passed by the legislative Houses can become law, the Royal Assent (the monarch's approval) is required. In theory, assent can either be granted (making the bill law) or withheld (vetoing the bill). In reality, assent is always granted; the last monarch to withhold assent was Anne in 1707.

The monarch has a similar relationship with the devolved governments of Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. The Sovereign appoints the First Minister of Scotland on the nomination of the Scottish Parliament, and the First Minister of Wales on the nomination of the National Assembly for Wales. In Scottish matters, the Sovereign acts on the advice of the Scottish Government. However, as devolution is more limited in Wales, in Welsh matters the Sovereign acts on the advice of the Prime Minister and Cabinet of the United Kingdom. The Sovereign can veto any law passed by the Northern Ireland Assembly, if it is deemed unconstitutional by the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland.

The Sovereign is deemed the "fount of justice"; although the Sovereign does not personally rule in judicial cases, judicial functions are performed in his or her name. For instance, prosecutions are brought on the monarch's behalf, and courts derive their authority from the Crown. The common law holds that the Sovereign "can do no wrong"; the monarch cannot be prosecuted for criminal offences. The Crown Proceedings Act 1947 allows civil lawsuits against the Crown in its public capacity (that is, lawsuits against the government), but not lawsuits against the monarch personally. The Sovereign exercises the "prerogative of mercy", which is used to pardon convicted offenders or reduce sentences.

The monarch is the "fount of honour", the source of all honours and dignities in the United Kingdom. The Crown creates all peerages, appoints members of the orders of chivalry, grants knighthoods and awards other honours. Although peerages and most other honours are granted on the advice of the Prime Minister, some honours are within the personal gift of the Sovereign, and are not granted on ministerial advice. The monarch alone appoints members of the Order of the Garter, the Order of the Thistle, the Royal Victorian Order and the Order of Merit.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by biina: 5:46pm On Jun 01, 2009
tunku:

Biina you misguided fool, are you really trying to argue that the Monarchy in the U.k. is nothing but a figure-head? That its functions isn't merely ceremonial? Hahaha, Yeah, Lizzy is the one who decides who runs the country, the PM your mps chose is dismissed at the whims of the queen. Oh god, thanks for the laugh. You idiots really are something else. And here I thought Tony Blair/Brown  and Labour have been the ones running the U.K. for the past 12 years. Apparently its "heeellloooo" Elizabeth. Next you'll claim that the Kennedy are descendants of Arthur.
Firstly, learn to make your point without resorting to personal insults. Such statements do little for you credibility.

You made an unqualified claim, that the queen had no power whatsoever, and I simply corrected it. There is no need to get upset over it. If you have a counter argument, please present it coherently, but dont waste cyber space with ramblings and insults.

For your information royal prerogative is not limited to the UK (as it exists in most European countries) and the queen of England has similar relationships with the governments of Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland.

There are different arms of government and different roles to be played. If the monarchy is still relevant in other countries, I don't see why we should then do away with ours.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by Krayola(m): 5:52pm On Jun 01, 2009
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by Krayola(m): 5:54pm On Jun 01, 2009
Insults kill healthy debates, and are the last (sometimes 1st  grin ) resort of people that have no credible arguments. If u have a valid point, u can get it across without having to insult others.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by beystwin: 5:54pm On Jun 01, 2009
naijaking1:

While you're bent on word-play, please tell us how banning public display of the fruit bunches at the market and other public places helps palm fruit industry?

I could rephrase and put this question right back to you: How does the banning of public display of the fruit bunches at the market and other public places hinder the palm fruit industry?

Nevertheless, your question is very simple to answer. There are several consequential advantages of this ban:

Firstly, if the display of bunches is banned, the fruit will have to be removed from the bunches before it is transported. This will make its transport more economic, thus lowering the cost of the product to the seller.

Secondly, removing the fruit from the bunches before transporting it will enable the buyer to assess the quality of the fruit more accurately before buying.

Thirdly, the bunches are unnecessary and often carry insects and other parasitic organisms. Also, people sometimes get injured when carrying the bunches, due to its sharp edges. Removing the fruit from the bunches will thus be healthier and safer.

Finally, removing the fruit from the bunches makes its presentation neater and more pleasing to the eye.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by beystwin: 6:02pm On Jun 01, 2009
stillwater:

What if the palm fruits were actually banned? Would you still take sides with the Oba?

The answer to your question is: no, I would not "side with him" (as you put it) if he banned the actual fruit itself.
But that is a moot point. The fact of the matter is, he did not ban the fruit, only the display of the bunches. The title of this thread is very misleading, and I am sure it only added to the confusion.

I would advise people to read carefully before posting replies that are not well thought out.

I would also advise those who are interested to read up on the Benin empire and its structure, in relation to the Oba.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by naijaking1: 6:03pm On Jun 01, 2009
beystwin:

1. I could rephrase and put this question right back to you: How does the banning of public display of the fruit bunches at the market and other public places hinder the palm fruit industry?

Nevertheless, your question is very simple to answer. There are several consequential advantages of this ban:

2.[b]Firstly, if the display of bunches is banned, the fruit will have to be removed from the bunches before it is transported. This will make its transport more economic, thus lowering the cost of the product to the seller.

Secondly, removing the fruit from the bunches before transporting it will enable the buyer to assess the quality of the fruit more accurately before buying.

Thirdly, the bunches are unnecessary and often carry insects and other parasitic organisms. Also, people sometimes get injured when carrying the bunches, due to its sharp edges. Removing the fruit from the bunches will thus be healthier and safer.[/b]Finally, removing the fruit from the bunches makes its presentation neater and more pleasing to the eye.

1. Market, market, and market. Market is everything in any particular industry. Basic economics tells us that hindering the marketing of any item affects production and the industry in general.

2. You could have made a better P.R officer for the Oba than we have now. The smartest and best logical reason would have been "because it's for quality control, improved sanitation, and reduction of parasites" This issue is news today, because they Oba gave very unscientific/unobjective, and almost retarded reasons for his actions, such as bringing bad omen, and causing blood letting undecided
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by sosisi(f): 6:06pm On Jun 01, 2009
beystwin:

these are key words:The Oba did not ban palm fruits in Benin.

The Palace of the Oba of Benin, has banned the open display of palm fruit bunches in markets

While noting that the palace is aware of the economic potentials and values of palm fruits

pick the palm-fruits from the bunches before transporting them to different locations for milling purpose of selling them to the consumers.
The Oba did not ban palm fruits in Benin.  

How glorious
Sellers of palmfruits in the market should cover them up with tarpaulin then
and somehow the buyers will guess what they're selling.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by sosisi(f): 6:08pm On Jun 01, 2009
naijaking1:

1. Market, market, and market. Market is everything in any particular industry. Basic economics tells us that hindering the marketing of any item affects production and the industry in general.

2. You could have made a better P.R officer for the Oba than we have now. The smartest and best logical reason would have been "because it's for quality control, improved sanitation, and reduction of parasites" This issue is news today, because they Oba gave very unscientific/unobjective, and almost retarded reasons for his actions, such as bringing bad omen, and causing blood letting undecided

Thank God I'm not the only one that sees that.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by Nobody: 6:23pm On Jun 01, 2009
BENIN CITY- The Palace of the Oba of Benin, has banned the open display of palm fruit bunches in markets, roadsides and conveying of same in trucks, tippers, lorries, etc, through Benin City and its environs.

To those screaming tradition . . .

The open display of palm fruit bunches was just recently banned. That tells us that it was normal to display palm fruit bunches in the open from time immemorial until the recent ban. Shouldn't you guys be fighting for the adherance to the "tradition" of leaving palm fruit bunches in the open, since tradition has to do with what has been passed on from generation to generation?
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by beystwin: 6:24pm On Jun 01, 2009
$osisi:

The Oba did not ban palm fruits in Benin.  

How glorious
Sellers of palmfruits in the market should cover them up with tarpaulin then
and somehow the buyers will guess what they're selling.

From your comment, it is evident that this is a complete misunderstanding, which is based on not understanding the original article.

The article states (and I quote):
the statement subsequently advised traders and big time farmers dealing on palm produce to always sort out the palm-fruits, or pick the palm-fruits from the bunches before transporting them to different locations for milling purpose of selling them to the consumers.

This means that once the fruit have been picked clean, they can be openly displayed. It is fine to display the fruit on their own, just not with the bunches still attached.

So, traders do not need to cover the fruit with a tarpaulin,  embarassed

I hope this clears up the issue once and for all!
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by sosisi(f): 6:33pm On Jun 01, 2009
beystwin:

From your comment, it is evident that this is a complete misunderstanding, which is based on not understanding the original article.

The article states (and I quote):
This means that once the fruit have been picked clean, they can be openly displayed. It is fine to display the fruit on their own, just not with the bunches still attached.

So, traders do not need to cover the fruit with a tarpaulin, embarassed

I hope this clears up the issue once and for all!

hogwash I say
do you know that wholesalers prefer to buy the palmfruit in bunches ?
It stays fresher when left in a bunch.
My grandmother owned palm trees so I know.
Tell the Oba his new law is stupid and that 99.9% of people think so
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by beystwin: 6:33pm On Jun 01, 2009
stillwater:

To those screaming tradition . . .

The open display of palm fruit bunches was just recently banned. That tells us that it was normal to display palm fruit bunches in the open from time immemorial until the recent ban. Shouldn't you guys be fighting for the adherance to the "tradition" of leaving palm fruit bunches in the open, since tradition has to do with what has been passed on from generation to generation?

I am sorry, but you are wrong. You seem to not have read the original article carefully enough. I quote:

“the above practice has been from time immemorial a taboo and highly forbidden because it leads to pre-mature death, accident, bloodletting and other evil.”

From this, it becomes clear that the tradition has been to not display the bunches, but it seems that the tradition has not been reinforced properly, which has resulted in people disregarding it. Therefore, what the Oba has ordered is a return to tradition.
People might argue that this is a backward move. However, the Edo chiefs should know best  - this tradition did not arise out of nowhere, after all. There must have been good reason to ban the display in the past. Scientifically speaking, I can imagine that the bunches, due to their propensity to carry parasites and potential health hazards, caused the people of that day to believe that they were somehow "evil".

You need to keep in mind that the Edo have been dealing with palm fruit longer than anyone else, anywhere in the world. So they know what they are talking about!
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by sosisi(f): 6:36pm On Jun 01, 2009
beystwin:

I am sorry, but you are wrong. You seem to not have read the original article carefully enough. I quote:

From this, it becomes clear that the tradition has been to not display the bunches, but it seems that the tradition has not been reinforced properly, which has resulted in people disregarding it. Therefore, what the Oba has ordered is a return to tradition.
People might argue that this is a backward move. However, the Edo chiefs should know best - this tradition did not arise out of nowhere, after all. There must have been good reason to ban the display in the past. Scientifically speaking, I can imagine that the bunches, due to their propensity to carry parasites and potential health hazards, caused the people of that day to believe that they were somehow "evil".

You need to keep in mind that the Edo have been dealing with palm fruit longer than anyone else, anywhere in the world. So they know what they are talking about!

I can't believe anyone would be supporting this sort of nonsense.
The oba is concerned about parasites now?
This is getting crazier
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by beystwin: 6:43pm On Jun 01, 2009
$osisi:

This is getting crazier

I think you are being deliberately obtuse.
It is pointless to take this argument any further, because you obviously refuse to understand.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by Krayola(m): 6:47pm On Jun 01, 2009
I think we need to try to put things in context. . . he isn't king of some metropolitan city, he is a king of some village (i think) . . he was not elected into office. .  it is a traditional post, with traditional responsibilities. Regardless of how educated and how rational he is, he has to find some kind of balance. It is easy for us to sit in front of our laptops and scream "nonsense" and what not. . . hell, Ive done it too. .  but at the same time most of the people he rules over do not think like us. I'm not saying they are stupid, but how is their belief in this "nonsense" different from people that believe that some guy named Jesus walked on water and his father will send them to hell to burn in fire for cheating on their lover.

It is possible he (king) did it for other reasons (parasites) but presented it in a certain way to appease his followers. .  it is possible it won't even be enforced. . . we can't just assume the worst. i guess i'm just trying to find any possible way to look at this from the other side.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by redsun(m): 6:57pm On Jun 01, 2009
The reasons given for the ban to any free thinker is irrational but i can see the need for tighter controls on how goods and wares are transported and displayed in nigeria,it is more like middle age markets and traders,with goods displayed all over the dusty,filthy floors and open unpaved streets,every where is market,no form of mathematical or rational order.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by naijaking1: 7:17pm On Jun 01, 2009
beystwin:

Scientifically speaking, I can imagine that the bunches, due to their propensity to carry parasites and potential health hazards, caused the people of that day to believe that they were somehow "evil".

Now, you're talking; as the Director of Information for the Oba shocked
Even if you change the gem of the argument to emphasize health hazards, your argument can only go so far. The next logical line would be the role of scientific data to support this new line of thought, the role of public health officials, ie sanitation, commisioner of health, etc.
At best, this line of arguement doesn't carry you far away from blood letting and demonic responses alludded earlier undecided

The Edo people have been dealing with palm fruits longer than anybody in this World is simply laughable.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by beystwin: 7:19pm On Jun 01, 2009
The reason people are getting so riled up about the issue is because of the spiritual, "non-scientific" reasons given for the ban.

We are living in an age where, due to scientific knowledge and advances, it is becoming increasingly unacceptable to assign any value to tradition. Tradition has gotten very bad press indeed! (Take, for example, genital mutilation). Yes, there are traditions that, in the modern sense, hinder progression, and are therefore of little value in our modern world. However, before dismissing any tradition as "backward" and "useless", it is important to examine the motivations behind it.

Krayola said:

It is possible he (king) did it for other reasons (parasites) but presented it in a certain way to appease his followers

You have a very valid point there. The ban may be "packaged" in a way that the Palace knows will be acceptable/comprehendable to the general public. If they came with a more practical or scientific explanation, people would probably not accept it as readily.

You can draw an analogy here to medieval times in Europe. People used to think that rats were the carriers of the black death. Thus, rats became a symbol of death. In actual fact, it was the fleas (which the rats carried in their fur) which carried the pest. Of course, we only know this today. Still, to kill the rats made sense because they were (indirectly) responsible for spreading the disease! You can easily apply this analogy to the case of palm fruit bunches.

It is right to reject traditional practices and spiritual beliefs if they hinder progress, or are cruel and violate human rights. But before we reject a practice, we must always ask ourselves first: does it hurt anyone? Does it hinder progress? Or could it possibly even (*gasp*) advance progress? If you have asked yourself this and can conclusively say that this practice is negative and a hindrance, only then should you reject it.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by beystwin: 7:22pm On Jun 01, 2009
naijaking1:

Now, you're talking; as the Director of Information for the Oba shocked
Even if you change the gem of the argument to emphasize health hazards, your argument can only go so far. The next logical line would be the role of scientific data to support this new line of thought, the role of public health officials, ie sanitation, commisioner of health, etc.
At best, this line of arguement doesn't carry you far away from blood letting and demonic responses alludded earlier undecided

The Edo people have been dealing with palm fruits longer than anybody in this World is simply laughable.

Okay, since you deem it laughable, please enlighten me: who has been dealing with palm fruit longer than the Edo, particularly in terms of large scale international export (not village to village sale)?
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by naijaking1: 7:45pm On Jun 01, 2009
beystwin:

Okay, since you deem it laughable, please enlighten me: who has been dealing with palm fruit longer than the Edo, particularly in terms of large scale international export (not village to village sale)?

The following verse from Wiki simply answers your question. There's only so much deluding of yourself and others you can do in the name of tribal gingoism. The Palm tree includes many sub-species--- coco-nut, date palm, washintoning palm, etc, but scientists agree that they have a common origin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_tree

Uses and cultivation

Canned palmnut concentrateHuman use of palms is as old or older than human civilization itself, starting with the cultivation of the Date Palm by Mesopotamians and other Middle Eastern peoples 5000 years or more ago.[13] Date wood, pits for storing dates, and other remains of the Date Palm have been found in Mesopotamian sites.[14] The Date Palm had a tremendous effect on the history of the Middle East. W.H. Barreveld wrote:

"One could go as far as to say that, had the date palm not existed, the expansion of the human race into the hot and barren parts of the "old" world would have been much more restricted. The date palm not only provided a concentrated energy food, which could be easily stored and carried along on long journeys across the deserts, it also created a more amenable habitat for the people to live in by providing shade and protection from the desert winds (Fig. 1). In addition, the date palm also yielded a variety of products for use in agricultural production and for domestic utensils, and practically all parts of the palm had a useful purpose."[13]
An indication of the importance of Palms is that they are mentioned more than 30 times in the Bible[15], and at least 22 times in the Quran.[16]

Fruit of the Date Palm Phoenix dactyliferaArecaceae has great economic importance including coconut products, oils, dates, palm syrup, ivory nuts, carnauba wax, rattan cane, raffia and palm wood

The type member of Arecaceae is the Areca palm, the fruit of which, the betel nut, is chewed with the betel leaf for intoxicating effects. Also belonging to the family of the Arecaceae are the Date Palm, harvested for its edible fruit; Rattans, whose stems are used extensively in furniture and baskets; and the Coconut. Palm oil is an edible vegetable oil produced by the oil palms in the genus Elaeis. Several species are harvested for heart of palm, a vegetable eaten in salads. Palm sap is sometimes fermented to produce palm wine or toddy, an alcoholic beverage common in parts of Africa, India, and the Philippines [17]. The Palm Sunday festival uses palm leaves, usually from the Date Palm, to commemorate Jesus' entry to Jerusalem, when palm leaves were strewn on the road before him. Dragon's blood, a red resin used traditionally in medicine, varnish, and dyes, may be obtained from the fruit of Daemonorops species. Coir is a coarse water-resistant fiber extracted from the outer shell of coconuts, used in doormats, brushes, mattresses, and ropes. Some indigenous groups living in palm-rich areas use palms to make many of their necessary items and food. Sago, for example, a starch made from the pith of the trunk of the Sago Palm Metroxylon sagu, is a major staple food for lowland peoples of New Guinea and the Moluccas. Palm leaves are also valuable to some peoples as a material for thatching or clothing. [8]

Washingtonia robusta trees line Ocean Avenue in Santa Monica, California.Today, palms are valuable as ornamental plants and are often grown along streets in tropical and subtropical cities, and also along the Mediterranean coast in Europe. Farther north, palms are a common feature in botanical gardens or as indoor plants. Few palms tolerate severe cold, however, and the majority of the species are tropical or subtropical. The three most cold-tolerant species are Trachycarpus fortunei, native to eastern Asia, and Rhapidophyllum hystrix and Sabal minor, both native to the southeastern United States [18]. For more details, see hardy palms.

The southeastern state of South Carolina is nicknamed the Palmetto State after the Cabbage Palmetto, logs from which were used to build the fort at Fort Moultrie. During the American Revolutionary War they were invaluable to those defending the fort, because their spongy wood absorbed or deflected the British cannonballs.[19] Some palms can be grown as far north as Maryland, Arkansas, southern Ohio and even up along the Pacific coast to Oregon, Washington and British Columbia, where ocean winds have a warming effect. There have even been known species of transplanted palms that have survived as far north as Devon. The Chinese Trachycarpus fortunei is being grown experimentally on the Faroe Islands at 62°N, with young plants doing well so far. [20]
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by tunku(m): 7:51pm On Jun 01, 2009
Do you idiots know the difference between a figure-head and an actual administrative power? Seriously, The Monarchy has no power, what you idiots, and I proudly say this are quoting are neutered powers. The queen just rubber stamps whatever the parliament decides when it comes to issues of the state. Don't give me crap that says that the Monarchy is a vestigial power, I know that already. When did the Queen last dismiss Parliament? Appoint someone to any ministerial post without the express written Approval of the prime minister or premier of that nation? You guys are idiots. And I suggest you look up what vestigial means.

The idiot who keep posting wiki articles about vestigial powers well how about this from your own quote.

The Royal Prerogative includes the powers to appoint and dismiss ministers, regulate the civil service, issue passports, declare war, make peace, direct the actions of the military, and negotiate and ratify treaties, alliances, and international agreements. However, a treaty cannot alter the domestic laws of the United Kingdom; an Act of Parliament is necessary in such cases. The monarch is commander in chief of the Armed Forces (the Royal Navy, the British Army, and the Royal Air Force), accredits British High Commissioners and ambassadors, and receives diplomats from foreign states.

It is the prerogative of the monarch to summon, prorogue and dissolve Parliament. Each parliamentary session begins with the monarch's summons. The new parliamentary session is marked by the State Opening of Parliament, during which the Sovereign reads the Speech from the Throne in the Chamber of the House of Lords, outlining the Government's legislative agenda. Prorogation usually occurs about one year after a session begins, and formally concludes the session. Dissolution ends a parliamentary term, and is followed by a general election for all seats in the House of Commons. Again, these powers are always exercised on the Prime Minister's advice. The timing of a dissolution is affected by a variety of factors. No parliamentary term may last more than five years; at the end of this period, a dissolution is automatic under the Parliament Act 1911. However, the Prime Minister normally chooses the most politically opportune moment for his or her party. Per the Lascelles Principles, the Sovereign may theoretically refuse a dissolution, but the circumstances under which such an action would be warranted are unclear.[20] Before a bill passed by the legislative Houses can become law, the Royal Assent (the monarch's approval) is required. In theory, assent can either be granted (making the bill law) or withheld (vetoing the bill). In reality, assent is always granted; the last monarch to withhold assent was Anne in 1707.

The monarch has a similar relationship with the devolved governments of Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland. The Sovereign appoints the First Minister of Scotland on the nomination of the Scottish Parliament, and the First Minister of Wales on the nomination of the National Assembly for Wales. In Scottish matters, the Sovereign acts on the advice of the Scottish Government. However, as devolution is more limited in Wales, in Welsh matters the Sovereign acts on the advice of the Prime Minister and Cabinet of the United Kingdom. The Sovereign can veto any law passed by the Northern Ireland Assembly, if it is deemed unconstitutional by the Secretary of State for Northern Ireland.

The Sovereign is deemed the "fount of justice"; although the Sovereign does not personally rule in judicial cases, judicial functions are performed in his or her name. For instance, prosecutions are brought on the monarch's behalf, and courts derive their authority from the Crown. The common law holds that the Sovereign "can do no wrong"; the monarch cannot be prosecuted for criminal offences. The Crown Proceedings Act 1947 allows civil lawsuits against the Crown in its public capacity (that is, lawsuits against the government), but not lawsuits against the monarch personally. The Sovereign exercises the "prerogative of mercy", which is used to pardon convicted offenders or reduce sentences.

The monarch is the "fount of honour", the source of all honours and dignities in the United Kingdom. The Crown creates all peerages, appoints members of the orders of chivalry, grants knighthoods and awards other honours. Although peerages and most other honours are granted on the advice of the Prime Minister, some honours are within the personal gift of the Sovereign, and are not granted on ministerial advice. The monarch alone appoints members of the Order of the Garter, the Order of the Thistle, the Royal Victorian Order and the Order of Merit.

Again, the last time the Monarch in England exercised any real power over the Parliament as per you quote was over 300 years ago. Damn if you are going to quote something that is suppose to disprove my statement do it, All I see you doing is helping my argument along. the monarch in England is a vestigial figure-head with no real powers. It is an over glorified mascot nowadays. So I suggest you to shut the hell up you functioning illiterates.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by naijaking1: 7:52pm On Jun 01, 2009
beystwin:

It is right to reject traditional practices and spiritual beliefs if they hinder progress, or are cruel and violate human rights. But before we reject a practice, we must always ask ourselves first: does it hurt anyone? Does it hinder progress? Or could it possibly even (*gasp*) advance progress? If you have asked yourself this and can conclusively say that this practice is negative and a hindrance, only then should you reject it.

Hinder progress
YES,YES, and YES cry
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jun 01, 2009
To all intellectuals,:
The Oba has decreed something as the traditional and spiritual head of the land, his subjects are expected to obey.
All he asked is to avoid display of the palm. No matter how funny it sounds, the elder has spoken.
I don't believe in superstition but hey, he is the king not me. FYI, i'm 10,000 miles away from Benin, i still respect tradition.
Just before you quote the bible, the bible says give unto Ceasar what belongs to him.

@Okok. . ,
You are an illiterate. You find it difficult to express yourself properly.
My advice, please go back to school before arguing with me.

@Sley,
U're so daft i feel like slaying you.

@Osisi,
You are unqualified to talk because i consider you an osu. Wait till your generations become freeborn if ever that will happen.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by Krayola(m): 8:40pm On Jun 01, 2009
@ tunku. . if you can't make a point without insulting people, then there isn't a question about who the real "idiot" is.

I agree with most of your points but there isn't any need for the insults. . .
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by Myself2(m): 9:06pm On Jun 01, 2009
Like DonJon said;Lordy Lord
See what the alleged superstitious act of the Oba has caused

$osisi:

Beats me too,never knew enlightened people could be this myopically superstitious

$osisi:

This is getting crazier

Blimey  sad sad
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by sosisi(f): 9:18pm On Jun 01, 2009
Gaggi:

@Osisi,
You are unqualified to talk because i consider you an osu. Wait till your generations become freeborn if ever that will happen.

sharap there,anu mpam!
crawl back into the back alley from whence thou comest

Is that supposed to upset me ? shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked
sorry, I forgot to cry
I'll rather be labelled an Osu anyday than be the subject of a grown man who is scared of palm fruits
Una no get psychia for Bini to take care of y'all
Osu better pass craze wink
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by oderemo(m): 9:32pm On Jun 01, 2009
this palm kernel thingy is getting outta hand
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by SapeleGuy: 9:47pm On Jun 01, 2009
What I have witnessed here, is a need for the so called majority ethnicities to validate their self importance by denigrating other ethnic nationalities. This is clearly driven by  low self esteem and a liberal dose of inferiority complex /coconut syndrome that makes them think that African religions can't be accorded the same level of respect as the imported religions.

When you examine some of these arguments, it is clear that the critics do not have a culture that is highly respected the world over, with exhibits in museums across the globe as a testament to African civilisation and metallurgy. Please ask these critics what their culture has contributed to the nation.
The Bini culture is a source of pride not just to the Edo, but to Nigeria and the whole of Africa. Dahomey changed their name to the Republic of Benin in recognition of their ancestry.

Finally, the motives of a poster who posts an article with the sole objective of ridiculing another ethnic nationality is really driven by tribalism.
With the Okija human sacrificial shrine and its attendant horrors still fresh in our minds, it is the height of hypocrisy and obfuscation to question palm bunches.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by sosisi(f): 10:10pm On Jun 01, 2009
SapeleGuy:

What I have witnessed here, is a need for the so called majority ethnicities to validate their self importance by denigrating other ethnic nationalities. This is clearly driven by  low self esteem and a liberal dose of inferiority complex /coconut syndrome that makes them think that African religions can't be accorded the same level of respect as the imported religions.

When you examine some of these arguments, it is clear that the critics do not have a culture that is highly respected the world over, with exhibits in museums across the globe as a testament to African civilisation and metallurgy. Please ask these critics what their culture has contributed to the nation.
The Bini culture is a source of pride not just to the Edo, but to Nigeria and the whole of Africa. Dahomey changed their name to the Republic of Benin in recognition of their ancestry.

Finally, the motives of a poster who posts an article with the sole objective of ridiculing another ethnic nationality is really driven by tribalism.
With the Okija human sacrificial shrine and its attendant horrors still fresh in our minds, it is the height of hypocrisy and obfuscation to question palm bunches.

You must be very stupid.
have you heard anyone defend Okija?
Benin is the seat of rituals and idolatory in Nigeria, that's no news
I lived in Benin.
It's the only place I've ever seen a man and his children naked and carrying pots on their heads chanting incantations and walking on a straight line.
every part of Benin is riddled with juju
on mainroads,around trees,at crossroads
there's juju hanging off of everywhere in that city but for Idahosa who God used to bring some light in that place
It's the only place you saw idol worshippers in large numbers in broad daylight sacrificing animals to their gods under a tree
Very fetish place
Keep defending a retarded law.
tradition my hammer toes
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by okokomeji: 10:11pm On Jun 01, 2009
@Gaggi. To hell with your untraceable lineage and tradition. Without being pretentious or ostentatious, I would unequivocally say with my Phd degree I am more exposed and better off than every last of your family. I know you are jealous of my enviable credentials, you be like that could have been mine. Your jackass has to earn it. I won't lie I studied in abroad on a platter of gold. I started getting scholarship right from my primary school because of my superior ability among my peers. I set standard in everything I do. I got all A's in my SSCE and SAT score of 1560/1600. This gave me free-ride scholarship for my whole academic years. After college, before going to graduate school for my PhD, I wanted to become US citizen and I considered joining US Navy. I took the Asvab military examination, after the results came out. They separated me from the crowd and asked me how did I do it? After few months being in Navy, I realized I was not destined for the routine o military. I considered going to graduate school as my last resort. I took GRE exam and I score 1540/1600. I got admitted to Ivy League. All my life, my grade never dropped below 97 percentile. I started a job with fortune 500 company, and earning a few thousands away from six-figure salaries. Nothing better than that! Let me know about your story too since you are the only passed through school. I could tell by your naivety that you are not my type. Everything I say is fact, I use goggle sometimes because it's the most powerful cache or citadel of knowledge I know for sure. Majority of the sightings, quotes and evidence is what I have accumulated over a long time and had been imbibed in my system. You can figure that out within ten to twenty minutes of typing on the forum. It has to be parked and parceled in your system.
Your lame ass comments don’t mean you have the necessary skills to analysis deductive argument or evaluate inference critical reading.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Hii! Vot For This Half Kenyan/nigerian Girlll Miss--competition / Ukwuani People, This Is For You / The Beautiful City Of Kano

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 148
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.