Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,867 members, 7,810,299 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:22 AM

Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba (15413 Views)

10 Comical Nigerian Superstitious Beliefs / Some Superstitious Beliefs In A Typical Nigerian Traditional Society / Funny/Silly Superstitious Beliefs You've Heard/Believe! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by okokomeji: 3:56am On Jun 02, 2009
@Sha-ape-ree-le guy, @garri or G-gaggi je and @betytwin. Haterz!! They fear what they can conquer and they hate what they really don’t understand. I guess represent “FEAR” to y’all jackasses. You guys should let me know your qualifications. Give brief details of your academic endeavors up to this moment and what you can shot for it. And let us know who-is-who among us. Until you let me know that, I got just a 3 letter words for y’all mutherfuckerz. kiss my ass…
Maybe, you guys got PhDs too and still freaking scared the hell out of Palm fruits in 21 century. What a shame; illiterate is a great disease that can never be cured.
Let’s go there! I have been an advocate of modernity for a while. Because I believe is the only panacea to our problems and viable means to a sustainable good life and pursuit of happiness. On the 28th of March, 2006. Oba sent the same “EDICT” that on this day the gods would visit the land because people did not sacrifice strange person or big-ass cows to appease the gods. And that the wrath they would bring would cause an apocalypse of destructions.
The eclipse of the sun was partial but yet phenomenal and as thousands of villagers set their eyes to the sky as it darkened on that favorable Tuesday’s morning. At first the villagers gasping in fear at the celestial phenomenon; but a few minutes later everybody started running helter-scatter. Some grabbed the only begotten live stock to carter for their family and went straight to the evil forest to appease gods. So that the punishment would be minimal on them.
Few that believe in God went straight to the church and started praying to die in the church. Some went to extent that they emptied all the soup in their pots. A few hours after the day had become normal; many people began arguing that the church ooo or the evil forest they went to that let the gods pardon them. Luckily for me, I was in that village the day it happened. Then, I gave explanations and reassured the villagers that an eclipse of the sun does not herald the destruction of the world. I said: in fact, science has foreseen it and had given the accurate time the eclipse would surface and disappear.
@Sha-ape-ree-le guy, @garri or G-gaggi je and @betytwin. I know you sorry asses were in the village the day I was talking about… Who knows? Just for your backward thinking in 21 century.

When I mean modernity, I am not a philistine that goes against culture, but Bleep fetish tradition though. I like my culture and embrace it. But I got common name for you guys for your backward thinking in 21 century.
When I mean modernity, @Sha-ape-ree-le guy, @garri or G-gaggi je and @betytwin. I do not mean the act of sodomy practicing by your families. All those homosexuality and incestuous practices would bring you destruction so quick. The modernity I am talking about brings sense of curiosity to solve our problems–Which is behind anything that can be experienced whose there is something that our mind cannot grasp and whose beauty and sublimity reaches us only indirectly as feeble reflection. The time-honored term has driven me like the trade winds to embrace modernity more and more.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by Dede1(m): 4:16am On Jun 02, 2009
Please could someone from the City of Benin in the jungle called Nigeria inform the impostor in Benin that the “Oba” who had such power to proclaim any form of ban in the City of Benin was disposed at the tale end of nineteenth century?

The authority to ban anything within the confines of Benin City does not rest with Oba of Benin but with the city council or the local government. Why is the Oba making fool of him self by issuing a ban he has no authority to enforce?
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by mccloud224(m): 4:43am On Jun 02, 2009
Abeg, ask them.Ask the "Omnipotent Oba" Slave boys.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by RichyBlacK(m): 7:21am On Jun 02, 2009
The last major center of human sacrifice was the Benin Empire in modern Nigeria. The Benin Empire agreed with the British to prohibit human sacrifice in the 1890s. However, for five years the rulers continued human sacrifice on a large scale. After an incident in which British observers were killed in order to prevent them witnessing human sacrifice, the British authorities assembled forces to conquer the Benin Empire. This caused an escalation of human sacrifice as Benin's rulers sought to protect themselves from Britain by appeasing the Gods with sacrifice. After a brief campaign the Benin Empire was conquered and human sacrifice suppressed. --Wikipedia

The Oba of Benin should be respected but never feared. He is a mere mortal and possess no supernatural powers whatsoever.

His view of palm fruits is based on his culture and such a ban cannot be enforced. Those who share similar beliefs can go ahead and a observe the ban, however, those who see such beliefs as remnants of a dark and ignorant past must not be prevented from going about their day to day business. The Oba's pronouncements, in a constitutional democracy, have no force of law.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by beystwin: 8:55am On Jun 02, 2009
This is a story for you.

As all the other African people were selling their own people as slaves (e.g. Youruba, Igbo etc.). The Oba on the other hand did not sell the Benin people as slaves, as he realised that this would bring destruction and backwardness to his people. Instead, he even bought slaves from other tribes. The only slave he sold from his own people was a Voodoo priest. His main goal was that the priest should use Voodoo to guide the slaves over there in America, in order to keep them focused so that their identity would not be lost.
Hundreds of years later, a fine gentleman has now arisen from the midst of the slave descendants, conquering his fears and demons due to the spiritual guidance of the Voodoo priest. His name is Obama, which ironically in Benin means “the Oba is good”.

LOL grin
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by QuardCore(m): 10:56am On Jun 02, 2009
@ beystwin
There you go again! Una don start to dey yarn opata on this thread. Who told you that Obama is the descendant of the voodoo priest the then Oba sent as a slave to the USA? Why not use your google wisely. Abi you dey pay to use google? Obama's aunties,brohers and relations are still in Kenya. So the voodoo piest also went to Kenya? Hmmmm opata yarn
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by otokx(m): 12:20pm On Jun 02, 2009
na oba google the man dey use
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by naijaking1: 1:20pm On Jun 02, 2009
beystwin:

This is a story for you.

As all the other African people were selling their own people as slaves (e.g. Youruba, Igbo etc.). The Oba on the other hand did not sell the Benin people as slaves, as he realised that this would bring destruction and backwardness to his people. Instead, he even bought slaves from other tribes. The only slave he sold from his own people was a Voodoo priest. His main goal was that the priest should use Voodoo to guide the slaves over there in America, in order to keep them focused so that their identity would not be lost.
Hundreds of years later, a fine gentleman has now arisen from the midst of the slave descendants, conquering his fears and demons due to the spiritual guidance of the Voodoo priest. His name is Obama, which ironically in Benin means “the Oba is good”.

LOL grin

Thanks for the totally made up story.
Obama means 'the oba is scared of palm fruits' in Benin.
Do you also want to know what Obama means in Swahili, Igbo, Hausa, or even Yoruba?
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by QuardCore(m): 1:27pm On Jun 02, 2009
beystwin:

This is a story for you.

LOL grin

If any body mistakingly stumbles on this thread and read your post, the way you explained the meaning of Obama, they will think you are speaking the truth. This is how fables, myths and opata have become part of our culture, that in spite of modern education, people still hold tenaciously to those norms that have put them in bondage for centuries.
   Barack Obama, Sr., a Luo from Nyang’oma Kogelo, Nyanza Province, Kenya(not USA), Obama's parents met in 1960 in a Russian language class at the University of Hawaii at Mānoa, where his father was a foreign student on scholarship.
  You can cross check from here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama. Opata yarn, yarn opata
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by Nobody: 2:02pm On Jun 02, 2009
Some people could be so stupid. How can one be impressed by the retard Osisi and her sisters? I wonder. shocked

@Okokomeji,
You have a Phd in what stupidity or illiteracy? My niece writes better than you. Its okay to day dream, but to claim what you don't have smacks of inferiority complex. Maybe you got your Ph.d from Osisi's class in Okija. Idiots sharpeneth idiots. grin

@Osisi,
You say you saw naked people carrying pots in Benin? You're a swine and a liar !!. We all know you guys eat humans and stuff. Lets don't even go to that disgraced governor who was made to worship at Okija shrine. His pix was shown on Tell.
How pathetic can the Ibo's get? Anuofia. Ewu. Remove the log from your eyes so you can think properly, assuming you have half a brain.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by beystwin: 2:09pm On Jun 02, 2009
Quotes from Winston Churchill
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
A love for tradition has never weakened a nation; indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by naijaking1: 2:13pm On Jun 02, 2009
beystwin:

Quotes from Winston Churchill
History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
A love for tradition has never weakened a nation; indeed it has strengthened nations in their hour of peril.
A plausible tradition, you mean? The British tadition has evolved and changed so much over the past few 100 years, don't you think some of ours too should evolve?
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by Nobody: 2:16pm On Jun 02, 2009
Religion isn't meant to replace tradition. Tradition simply means heritage. Surely, tradition exist in religion.
Those who don't know better see tradition as evil and retrogressive. People can't run from their history, their heritage.
These wanna be Westerner's are living a lie. The whites will still never consider you one of theirs. Immorality is on the rise because we want to discard tradition and blindly copy the white man. At the end of the day, you're neither here nor there. It's sad.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by tunku(m): 2:23pm On Jun 02, 2009
Fine Gaggi, why don't you go and die in some backwards village without electricity, potable water, and no toilet. You rail against the west, but pray tell where are you living? Immorality is on the rise in the west? hmmmph, at least most western nation have a basic respect for human rights. I don't expect to be summarily executed just for driving down the road, and what is this bullshit that the white people will never respect you. I guess they elected Obama just for laughs. I like the west and I am not ashamed to say it. The reason that they,the whites, are prosperous has nothing to do with race, it has everything to do with knowing when to sideline superstition in place of factual evidence. If you hate the west so much then reject all that it has to offer. Kindly burn your computer as the first step towards being a purer African.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by QuardCore(m): 2:51pm On Jun 02, 2009
@ Gaggi
Gaggi:

Religion isn't meant to replace tradition. Tradition simply means heritage. Surely, tradition exist in religion.
Those who don't know better see tradition as evil and retrogressive. People can't run from their history, their heritage.
These wanna be Westerner's are living a lie. The whites will still never consider you one of theirs. Immorality is on the rise because we want to discard tradition and blindly copy the white man. At the end of the day, you're neither here nor there. It's sad.
For the first time, I'm beginning to understand your line of argument. Maybe because, for the first time,you are posting without poring vituperations  at any body. You see we are all intellectual entities. If you explain your ideology without name calling, stereotyping, ethnic chauvinism, insults etc, who knows, you might just be able to convince some body about the salient  aspect of your tradition
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by naijaking1: 3:06pm On Jun 02, 2009
tunku:

The reason that they,the whites, are prosperous has nothing to do with race, it has everything to do with knowing when to sideline superstition in place of factual evidence. If you hate the west so much then reject all that it has to offer. Kindly burn your computer as the first step towards being a purer African.

You can say that over and over again. Thank you.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by walexng(f): 3:13pm On Jun 02, 2009
I'll like to quote Martin Luther King Jr who said that Africans should be taught that rejection of heritage is lost of cultural roots and he who has no past has no future.Advent of colonialism was the begining of our problems as a nation, Malcom X also after finding the truth about who we are.he said we are black and so we shall remain,they never said we should copy them,we just choose to at the expence of our rich culture, so pal,i feel you,you're a true African, we need more of you.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by naijaking1: 3:48pm On Jun 02, 2009
Nobody is against our heritage as Africans, so let's not even change the topic.
We're talking about non-objective, scientifically flawed, and sometimes stupid superstitious beliefs that retard our progress and development as a people.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by dexmond: 3:55pm On Jun 02, 2009
The traditionalists are trying to test their power. Watch how the world will supoort it
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by naijaking1: 5:29pm On Jun 02, 2009
The World is changing very fast, any culture/tradition that doesn't keep up will disappear in future.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by Nobody: 5:51pm On Jun 02, 2009
@ Naijaking,
That name doesn't suit you. Choose USking or Irishking or something foolish since you detest all that is black.
You are the OP and started all this debate. It's sad that peeps like you wanna sell your birthright for a green card.
Youths don't wanna associate with their heritage no more. Like i keep saying you can't change your skin, you are black and tradition is associated with us. It's part of our heritage. It's who we are.
That a ruler makes a pronouncement is not enough to think he is silly and doesn't know anything. I can't forget the great Socrates who inspite of all his knowledge said 'one thing I know is that I know nothing'. Take his advice and shut up 'cos you know nothing.

@Quad Pro,
It's sad i had to use expletives on these posters. They have no respect for traditional institution. Like I said, i'm not superstitious or traditional in the sense of it, but i respect the wisdom of the old, because they see farther than us.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by sosisi(f): 5:59pm On Jun 02, 2009
Gaggi:

@ Naijaking,
That name doesn't suit you. Choose USking or Irishking or something foolish since you detest all that is black.
You are the OP and started all this debate. It's sad that peeps like you wanna sell your birthright for a green card.
Youths don't wanna associate with their heritage no more. Like i keep saying you can't change your skin, you are black and tradition is associated with us. It's part of our heritage. It's who we are.
That a ruler makes a pronouncement is not enough to think he is silly and doesn't know anything. I can't forget the great Socrates who inspite of all his knowledge said 'one thing I know is that I know nothing'. Take his advice and shut up 'cos you know nothing.

@Quad Pro,
It's sad i had to use expletives on these posters. They have no respect for traditional institution. Like I said, i'm not superstitious or traditional in the sense of it, but i respect the wisdom of the old, because they see farther than us.

not when the field of vision is obstructed by palm trees lipsrsealed
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by Nobody: 6:08pm On Jun 02, 2009
@Osisi,
Intelligent reply. Just what Skitty will say.

PS
Skitty is the name of the retarded drunk in the neighbourhood.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by sosisi(f): 6:41pm On Jun 02, 2009
Gaggi:

@Osisi,
Intelligent reply. Just what Skitty will say.

PS
Skitty is the name of the retarded drunk in the neighbourhood.

Of course you should know that. grin
It takes a skitty to know one cool
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by hilli666(m): 7:00pm On Jun 02, 2009
Please let me remind you that the Oba of Benin is a formidable political force to be reckoned with. Even though he no longer has any legislative authority (which he still does just not as much any more), He is still the spiritual leader for a majority of the Benin people. "He who controlls the mind of the soul, controlls the deed" -Shaka-
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by okokomeji: 7:07pm On Jun 02, 2009
@gaggi. Oops! Hey, foolish! I got you now… I could read between the lines now, I know where you are coming from? You barely finished one line and ten words. I put minimum of 12 lines and 250 words every time I reply to your comments.

So would you reciprocate with me so that we can be on the same level- foooool?

Oh, snapped! Between me and you, I may draw this little analogy; your lame ass is like sorry ass that talks shitz about Kobe. That Kobe is banger and when he drops at least 50 points on the court every time he plays, and you punk ass can make a free throw.

Fetish tradition and unjust “law and order” created for the purpose of establishing injustice had failed. They fail because they become the dangerously structured dams that block the flow of social progress.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jun 02, 2009
@Okok. . .
Your short reply makes better sense than that lengthy garbage you've been writing.
Honestly, you sound dull for a Ph.d holder. Where did you get your Ph.d again? Oluwole?
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by wakiri: 7:25pm On Jun 02, 2009
maybe we should boycott palm produce from bini land. lipsrsealed
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by naijaking1: 8:07pm On Jun 02, 2009
Gaggi:

@ Naijaking,

@Quad Pro,

It would have been easy to ignore the oba and his retrogressive decrees, but when it comes to an essential cash crop/agriculture like palm tree, every Nigerian should speak up, because our national economy is very closely tied together these days. So you can't have folks in the east and west working their heart off trying to earn essential foreign exchange for our nation, and one retarded oba in the midwest is busy making decrees that pull everybody backwards.
I have no time to go personal with you at this time.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by SapeleGuy: 8:54pm On Jun 02, 2009
naijaking1:

The World is changing very fast, any culture/tradition that doesn't keep up will disappear in future.

You are rabid tribalists, if you weren't, you wouldn't be posting this when people are still being massacred in Okija as we type. Please don't pretend that you are doing this for Nigeria, democracy or the palm oil industry. What you are doing discredits the whole nation.

RichyBlacK:

The last major center of human sacrifice was the Benin Empire in modern Nigeria.
I have to disagree and refer you to Okija. That is why you can't always trust wikipedia.

His view of palm fruits is based on his culture and such a ban cannot be enforced.

His Royal Majesty is the head of the Holy Arousa Church. In the same way the the Queen of England is the head of the Anglican Church. This is a religious edict and I assure you this edict will be carried out to the letter. Whilst you may not agree with it, respect their rights in the same way you respect the rights of muslims when it comes to Sharia law. There is no difference.

The Oba's pronouncements, in a constitutional democracy, have no force of law.  
To mention democracy in our country would be comedy if it wasn't so sad.

By the way your 'hands on' style of moderating is interesting, it is almost reminiscent of the selective democracy we practice in our country.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by okokomeji: 9:16pm On Jun 02, 2009
@Gaggi. I got my PhD in USA and not in English Motherfucker. If you got a problem with that let me know? I don’t blame you anymore, because you are scared to write up to 10 lines. You can do more than your brain! I guess I should be lenient to you the way I perceive you before your myopic orientation.

If you want to justify your points for your Oba’s edict, I would prefer you to stay in the village and tell not on Nairaland; which I see as a global forum.

The old-age fetish tradition that demands humans’ blood, cows, camels and goats had been relegated to back exit to pave ways for progress. With modernity and increased interest in learning: all we discover in it is groundwork of vulgar ignorance, of things impossible, superstition, fanaticism and fabrication.

@Gaggi. For We to engage in nonviolent direct method, by using our literary knowledge to go against the preposterous EDICT of your King; which we think would bring more suffering to common people and retard the economic progress of the region. Mind you, that does not warrant us the creators of tension. We merely bring to the surface the hidden tension that is already alive.
Re: Superstitious Ban Of Palm Fruits By Oba by naijaking1: 9:17pm On Jun 02, 2009
SapeleGuy:

You are rabid tribalists, if you weren't, you wouldn't be posting this when people are still being massacred in Okija as we type. Please don't pretend that you are doing this for Nigeria, democracy or the palm oil industry. What you are doing discredits the whole nation.

Your persistent reference to Okija is just a red herring, and you know it. Unlike Benin, Okija people, and Igbos in general never decreed the ugly practice bursted by the police a few years ago. Infact, it was the locals who helped police dismantle the stupidity going on there. I don't recall many Igbo people who came out to defend the indefensible, but here you're trying every technique in the book to defend the indefensible.
Did the Igwe of Okija decree murder?
Did the whole Okija people, educated and uneducated join in unity to justify the action of a few individuals?
Did Igbo people not condenm the practice?

The difference is simply that while Okija was an isolated incident outside the norm in Igboland, the Benin ban has the unfortunate stamp of the oba himself. While the perpetrators of okija have been thought a lesson by law enforcement agents, Benin people such as yourself are still wallowing in ignorance shocked

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

The Beautiful City Of Kano / Hii! Vot For This Half Kenyan/nigerian Girlll Miss--competition / Ukwuani People, This Is For You

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.