Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,029 members, 7,810,835 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:35 PM

Some Misconception About Warri And Her People - Culture (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Some Misconception About Warri And Her People (38176 Views)

Common Misconception About Edo(benin)girls / Why Did Africans Sell her People? / A MUST READ: Misconception About Tiv Hospitality. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by LKO(m): 9:53am On Dec 10, 2015
Blyzz:
Am from Ughelli, my mama is from Ovwian. i live in Ovwian Town precisely!

OK Bro. Enjoy ur town. Where in ovwian boss?
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by fratermathy(m): 9:55am On Dec 10, 2015
evadreams:
so u know

I enjoyed reading this. How can I get the book? Is it at all possible that you can send me some more snapped pages?
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by Nobody: 9:58am On Dec 10, 2015
LKO:

OK Bro. Enjoy ur town. Where in ovwian boss?
it winners junction @ Ovwian!
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by LKO(m): 11:51am On Dec 10, 2015
Blyzz:
it winners junction @ Ovwian!

We may see someday. Enjoy your day.
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by evadreams(f): 12:32pm On Dec 10, 2015
fratermathy:

I enjoyed reading this. How can I get the book? Is it at all possible that you can send me some more snapped pages?

are u on whatsapp? drop ur num I will snap and send to you .
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by Nobody: 12:38pm On Dec 10, 2015
LKO:

We may see someday. Enjoy your day.
no qualms, you too. pax!

1 Like

Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by fratermathy(m): 1:04pm On Dec 10, 2015
evadreams:

are u on whatsapp? drop ur num I will snap and send to you .

Thank you very much. I appreciate this.

Send it to zero eight one three, zero eight nine, zero nine nine one. (I hope you understand why I used words).
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by gevans(m): 6:48pm On Dec 10, 2015
fratermathy:

Thank you very much. I appreciate this.

Send it to zero eight one three, zero eight nine, zero nine nine one. (I hope you understand why I used words).

Bros, as she wire u d book em, make u knack am for me on watsapp too, I still love to read am too. I go hall u na 33 start my number. Tanx
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by ihearYou(m): 9:51pm On Dec 10, 2015
Jolllyjoy:
na dis kin people dey give waffians bad name so.

The guy quote you?he mention you?which kin agbewe con be dis self

Sorry boo na u be aproko here.

how much u buy d panadol u take for dis guy headache? ur own aproko tie wrapper!!
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by onila(f): 1:20am On Dec 11, 2015
warri pple are smart

but some can be wicked, rude

I hate their girls
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by TortugaPrince: 3:44pm On Dec 12, 2015
fratermathy:

I do hope you are not being sarcastic. undecided

Of course I'm being sarcastic,but try explaining that to the nitwit who just called me an ignoramus. Anyway he just dropped that word to sound intelligent
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by chukzyblingz(m): 9:38pm On Dec 12, 2015
Goodboiyy:

wenti concern us concern Okowa ?. mtcheww .. If e like make e nor reason warri. our land is blessed with milk and honey.. we re the best, We re the Gold in Delta, God bless The Big 3's jor

You claim to be a crusader for peace and unity yet you spew this nonsense. Well, I'm able to read between the line. But it's hard to tell why the hatred. Do you hate PDP? Or is it Okowa you hate? Or Aniomas as a whole. I'm from Anioma but I stayed in Warri and I see all the tribes in the old Bendel State as brothers. We have so many things in common.
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by Nobody: 11:58pm On Dec 12, 2015
chukzyblingz:

You claim to be a crusader for peace and unity yet you spew this nonsense. Well, I'm able to read between the line. But it's hard to tell why the hatred. Do you hate PDP? Or is it Okowa you hate? Or Aniomas as a whole. I'm from Anioma but I stayed in Warri and I see all the tribes in the old Bendel State as brothers. We have so many things in common.

I hate corruption.. Am nt a PDP fan or APC fan.. but truth be told.. If The likes of ibori keeps dictating for us, We won't see any change.. Uduanghan has stolen his own part, Okowa next, After okowa , ibori will then select another criminal..

brother Looting Continua .... read b/w the line bro.. we need change I don't mean APC oo.
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by Cully408(m): 9:45pm On Dec 13, 2015
mascot87:

Bae, na on top bed me & u go settle matter. After 7 rounds, u go know say na Warri get last self
Bad guy grin grin grin grin
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by jolo26(m): 8:29am On Apr 04, 2016

bros u too much.. Kindly modify your post as I av done the necessary.. I So much Luv ur No 8
u must be an urhobo or ijaw. i want to tell non urhobo or ijaw in dis forum to stop belivin both tribe cos they( ijaw nd urhobo) cos they ve no evidence as owners of warri rather they re tenant. how com d ijaws ve been payin rent to d itsekiri if they own warri? and hw com both tribe has no king in warri until less dan twelve yrs ago?
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by jolo26(m): 10:35pm On Apr 04, 2016
Good evening people. . was discussing with someone from north when this discussion came up , and I can bet that his view is common with Most Nigerians especially those from SW, SE and Northern Nigeria.. Below are some misconception about warri and her people.

1. Warri Is Owned By One Ethnic Group : Yea. most people believe Urhobo People own warri, Why some thinks Warri is owned by Itsekiri's. Hell No.. Warri is owned By three Tribe Urhobo, Itsekiri and Ijaw

2. Ruggedity :. I remember my first visit to Lagos.. At first they taught am Yoruba because of my name so they didn't pay me my due respect, So something came up I then revealed my ID that am from warri.. Mehn from that day They start fearing me, never Knew until Someone told me that they were scared of me.. Also Some People thinks if you are from Warri They You are Automatically Sturborn and Rugged which is not true, If you meet some wafarians like LKO, Fratermathy , Freemanan , Onuwaje e.t.c you did be surprise because they are very Cool and gentle but if You See People like me ... hmmmm

3 Oil City : This gat me laughing.. When we refer to warri as an oil city (Wish is a just a title) some people thinks Warri account For about 50% of Delta State Oil Prod. which is not True, Although the Tribes in Warri (Urhobo, Itsekiri and Ijo ) Account for about 93% of Oil prod. in Delta State.. The title "Oil City" Was just given to warri because of the Refinery and some Oil wells, our Major oil prod. are our Offshore oil field.

4 Itsekiri Are Yoruba Subgroup: You mostly hear this from Ignorant people especially those from North and some Yoruba people, Yes they speak almost same language, Bear similar names, But the fact still remains that Itsekiri Are Itsekiri, Yoruba Are Yoruba.. Although Itsekiri have a good relationship with Yoruba especially the Ilaje people who we see as our Kit and Kin.

5. Urhobo, Itsekiri, Ijaw Hates themselves; We usually Hear such Word from Non Niger Deltans who try to use Warri crisis to gain cheap point. You hear statement like " Niger Deltans re not One" "Ijaw hates Itsekiri" e.t.c but I tell you, All are lies, Itsekiri luv ijo , Ijo luv Urhobo Warri crisis is political

6. Warri people cannot speak Good English[/b]
This impression is gotten from the representation of Waffarians as masters of the Nigerian Pidgin. Because of this, most people think people from Warri can speak only pidgin and do not flow well in correct English. Well, this is wrong! The average Waffarian speaks English even much more and far better than the average person from the East, West and North!

7. Warri people are not intelligent
I have actually met quite a few people who have a stereotypical view that Waffarians are dull and unintelligent and only love trouble. Well, this is absolutely FALSE!!! Granted, Warri is a place where it is better IF YOU MAINTAIN YOUR OWN BUSINESS, the people are actually one of the smartest people from Nigeria! Warri has birthed great actors, professors, writers, philosophers, doctors, lawyers, etc. Some of Warri's great products include Richard Mofe Damijo, Professors Tanure Ojaide, Gabriel Darah, J.P. Clark, Isidore Okpewho, Eric Arubayi, Andrew Onokerhoraye, Andrew Evwaraye, etc. These Professors are some of the BEST in their various disciplines. The list of Warri intellectuals and intelligentsia cannot be fully encapsulated in this exposition.

8. The Olu of Warri Rules over ALL of Warri
This erroneous misconception stems from the titular appellation of the monarch himself as the Olu of WARRI! What people dont know is that this title ONLY came to be in the 1950s due to Awolowo. The original title was the Olu of Itsekiri. However, this title has stuck for the major reason that Itsekiris, which are one of the main inhabitants of Warri, call their homeland Iwerre! However, in Warri, there are several other monarchs who rule different ethnic groups. We have the Ovie of Agbarha-Warri, the Orosuen of Okere-Warri, the Pere of Gbaranmatu-Warri, etc. These monarchs rule over various sections of Warri. The Olu rules over the Itsekiri section, the Ovie and Orusuen rules over Urhobo and the Pere rules over Ijaw.

9. Warri is the Capital of Delta State
Well, I wouldn't blame people for thinking this. Most Northerners and Westerners hear only about Warri and assume that it must be Delta's capital. Many have forgotten their primary school States and Capitals... Asaba has always been and remains the capital of Warri. However, the politics that relocated the capital from Warri to Asaba is a story for another day. Warri still houses an annex of the Government House where governors go whenever they want to be close to Waffarians. Former Governor Uduaghan was once attacked for relocating from Asaba to set up a permanent base in Warri. However, I overheard a rumour that Okowa has closed this annex. If Anioma State is ever created for the Igbos of Delta State, Warri shall definitely emerge as a capital. For now, WARRI IS THE ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL CAPITAL OF DELTA STATE.

10. Warri includes Effurun, Udu and Osubi
Many novices in Warri usually count separate towns and cities such as Effurun, Enerhen, Udu, Agbarho, Okuokoko, Osubi, etc as part of Warri. This is not true. These towns/cities are independent of Warri. They are even in different local government areas from Warri. Effurun is in Uvwie, Osubi is in Okpe and Udu is an eponymous LGA. Warri City is in Warri South LGA mainly. The main city starts from Airport Road and connects with Edjeba, Okere, Agbarha-Ame, Jakpa, Ugboroke, Iyara, Idimi, Ajamimogha, Okumagba Avenue, Deco, etc. Effurun is a city of its own. Udu is a town of its own. Osubi and Okuokoko are classed as Okpe villages. However, due to modernisation and the lack of available houses in Warri City, many people move to these surrounding cities/towns to live and setup businesses and they end up calling everywhere WARRI. In a metropolitan sense, they are right. However, historically and otherwise, these cities/towns/villages are NOT IN WARRI!!!

Further credits : Fratermathy
how can three tribes own warri? wat is d meanin of warri in d urhobo lang? warri is an adulteration of d itsekiri word IWERRE (which is d name of their kingdom) at the advent of d portuguess it was pronouce OUERE later wen d english men came it was called AWERRE, WERRE LATER WARRI which stuck. if benin can b change frm ile-ibinu y iwerre cnt b change to warri. d ijaws claim its an ijaw word wari do u also forget we ve bwari in abuja? dat mean d northerner can also lay claim. d map is an eighteen century map showing WARRI AS WERRE d itsekiri kingdom of IWERRE. d urhobo populate warri dosent make dem own warri.90% of urhovo and ijaw in warri re frm other LGA outside warri who re there for busness, cos warri is d commercial city of delta. if they die they re takin to thier home town. WARRI IS D ITSEKIRI HOMELANS

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by jared007: 7:47am On Apr 05, 2016
jolo26:
how can three tribes own warri? wat is d meanin of warri in d urhobo lang? warri is an adulteration of d itsekiri word IWERRE (which is d name of their kingdom) at the advent of d portuguess it was pronouce OUERE later wen d english men came it was called AWERRE, WERRE LATER WARRI which stuck. if benin can b change frm ile-ibinu y iwerre cnt b change to warri. d ijaws claim its an ijaw word wari do u also forget we ve bwari in abuja? dat mean d northerner can also lay claim. d map is an eighteen century map showing WARRI AS WERRE d itsekiri kingdom of IWERRE. d urhobo populate warri dosent make dem own warri.90% of urhovo and ijaw in warri re frm other LGA outside warri who re there for busness, cos warri is d commercial city of delta. if they die they re takin to thier home town. WARRI IS D ITSEKIRI HOMELANS
You resurrected a by-gone thread? Why do itsekiris love too much argument? Argument cant dispossess the ijaws and urhobos 4rm warri na. In your write up u deceive the general public by refusing to differentiate Warri town from Ode-itsekiri(old warri) which used to be called Warre. That old map u posted is not Warri town but Ode-itsekiri(warre). Warri as a word has no meaning in itsekiri language rather the name is a corruption of Avwierro who was a prominent portuguese explorer at that time. Urhobos claim of ownership is limited to Warri town which was known as New Warri.
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by jolo26(m): 8:00am On Apr 05, 2016
Carlmax:

Attah of Igala, Etsu Nupe, Orodje of Okpe (king of all okpe people), Och' Idoma, Olu of Ishekire. So you are not ashame, claiming a title given by a mere politician (Awolowo), IMHO the "Olu of Ishekire" holds more respect because that shows he is the king of the entire Ishekire nation and not just the small bit of Warri metropolis they occupy.
some of u just say watever u tink on social media. u guys always blame AWO. for d TITLE do u knw wat happen b4 dat title issue? all ITSEKIRI in d world re frm warri kingdom. the name of all our land is IWERRE LAND which has been adulterated to WERRE and later to WARRI by d ENGLISHMEN. so is it nw wrong for d king of d land to bear d title of d land? some of u tink warri south which is d commercial city is wat is refer to as WARRI. warri comprises of SOUTH. WEST nd NORTH L.G.A. urhobos re found in south which they ve bout five communities. ijaw in south west nd north 6 communities. in all ITSEKIRIS 79 communities. wat does dat tells u (ITSEKIRI HOMELAND).

2 Likes

Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by jolo26(m): 9:12am On Apr 05, 2016
jared007:
You resurrected a by-gone thread? Why do itsekiris love too much argument? Argument cant dispossess the ijaws and urhobos 4rm warri na. In your write up u deceive the general public by refusing to differentiate Warri town from Ode-itsekiri(old warri) which used to be called Warre. That old map u posted is not Warri town but Ode-itsekiri(warre). Warri as a word has no meaning in itsekiri language rather the name is a corruption of Avwierro who was a prominent portuguese explorer at that time. Urhobos claim of ownership is limited to Warri town which was known as New Warri.
WARRI WARRI HIGH COURT
DATED 9/71964 BARRED THE
IJAW INDIGENES FROM
WARRI, FROM CONTESTING
OWNERSHIP OF LANDS IN
WARRI LOCAL GOVERNMENT
AREAS OF DELTA STATE, AS
THE SUPREME COURT HAD
SINCE SC/450/65. LAID SUCH
MATTER TO REST. THIS SHOWS THE IJAWS IN WARRI RE TENANT
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by jolo26(m): 9:57am On Apr 05, 2016
jared007:
As the respected and renowned Warri/Itsekiri
historian has ably documented at page 5 to 6 of the
book, the name Warri is synonymous with Itsekiri
and the Warri kingdom . The Writer cites 13
instances in which established historians used
variants of the word Warri to describe the Itsekiris
and the Kingdom founded by the Itsekiri Royal
Dynasty. Some of this evidence needs repeating:
a) Obaro Ikime’s article in the Post Express of 25
June 1999 at page 22 claimed that Warri
sometimes referred to Ode-Itsekiri (Big Warri)
sometimes to the town we know as Warri and
sometimes to the Itsekiri Kingdom. Other
references include:
b) “Itsekiri Kingdom of Warri” by E.J. Alagoa,
Chapter 9 in the History of West Africa edited by
Ade Ajayi and M. Crowder.
c) “The Itsekiri kingdom called Warri in modern
source” in Lamin Sanneh’s West African
Christianity.
d) P.C. Lloyd’s claim in his work, alongside R.E.
Bradbury’s, that “Itsekiri are known as Warri …”
page 172
e) “Itsekiri State of Warri” – Crowder ‘s The
Story of Nigeria, 1962, page 66.
f) Obaro Ikime: Merchant Prince of the Niger
delta, page 69: “… Consuls-General visited Warri on
19th August 1891. he reported that the chiefs of
Warri were Itsekiri who were under Nana”.
g) Prof. R. Gray in the Cambridge History of
Africa, vol. 4. page 228, says: “By 18th century
Warri is to be considered as an independent
Itsekiri political state, comprising also a few
Urhobo and Ijaw.”
h) Catholic Directory and Liturgical calendar of
2002: “Warri had a flourishing Christian community
at the Olu’s Court (not Ovie’s court). Many Warri
rulers from the 16th century were confessing
Christians. A son of such [a] ruler was even sent
to train as a priest in Portugal” [bracket added].
i) Amoury Talbot, a colonial administrator, in the
book, Peoples of Southern Nigeria, 1926, vol. 1,
page 317, says:
“The Jekri (Itsekiri) were called Iwerri and from
this their town was given its present name Warri”.
Browsing through Obaro Ikime’s Merchant Prince
of the Niger Delta, (H.E.B Paperback, 1968) one is
immediately struck by the profuse references to
the Itsekiri as the people and owners of warri.
In January 1891, Claude Macdonald was appointed
Commissioner and Consul-General over what was
later to become, Niger Coast Protectorate. At the
conclusion of his tour of the entire era, he wrote a
report concerning his visit to Warri as follows: The meeting was held as planned. Nana did not
attend. Virtually all the other important traders in
the Benin and Warri districts were present. Moor
reported that all the chiefs who attended the
meeting appeared to be anxious to carry out the
orders of the government. At the end a new treaty
was entered into the Itsekiri chiefs”. (See p. 105) AGAIN, ‘WARRI’ AND
‘ITSEKIRI’ ARE USED
INTERCHANGEABLY. THERE
IS AN EERIE! SILENCE WITH
REGARD TO THE URHOBO.
NOT ONCE ARE THEY
MENTIONED IN ALL THESE
PROFUSE REFERENCES TO
WARRI AND THE ITSEKIRI

1 Like

Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by jolo26(m): 10:04am On Apr 05, 2016
jared007:
TAKE NOTE OBARO IKIMI IS AN URHOBO MAN(ISOKO)

1 Like

Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by jared007: 5:36pm On Apr 05, 2016
jolo26:
As the respected and renowned Warri/Itsekiri
historian has ably documented at page 5 to 6 of the
book, the name Warri is synonymous with Itsekiri
and the Warri kingdom . The Writer cites 13
instances in which established historians used
variants of the word Warri to describe the Itsekiris
and the Kingdom founded by the Itsekiri Royal
Dynasty. Some of this evidence needs repeating:
a) Obaro Ikime’s article in the Post Express of 25
June 1999 at page 22 claimed that Warri
sometimes referred to Ode-Itsekiri (Big Warri)
sometimes to the town we know as Warri and
sometimes to the Itsekiri Kingdom. Other
references include:
b) “Itsekiri Kingdom of Warri” by E.J. Alagoa,
Chapter 9 in the History of West Africa edited by
Ade Ajayi and M. Crowder.
c) “The Itsekiri kingdom called Warri in modern
source” in Lamin Sanneh’s West African
Christianity.
d) P.C. Lloyd’s claim in his work, alongside R.E.
Bradbury’s, that “Itsekiri are known as Warri …”
page 172
e) “Itsekiri State of Warri” – Crowder ‘s The
Story of Nigeria, 1962, page 66.
f) Obaro Ikime: Merchant Prince of the Niger
delta, page 69: “… Consuls-General visited Warri on
19th August 1891. he reported that the chiefs of
Warri were Itsekiri who were under Nana”.
g) Prof. R. Gray in the Cambridge History of
Africa, vol. 4. page 228, says: “By 18th century
Warri is to be considered as an independent
Itsekiri political state, comprising also a few
Urhobo and Ijaw.”
h) Catholic Directory and Liturgical calendar of
2002: “Warri had a flourishing Christian community
at the Olu’s Court (not Ovie’s court). Many Warri
rulers from the 16th century were confessing
Christians. A son of such [a] ruler was even sent
to train as a priest in Portugal” [bracket added].
i) Amoury Talbot, a colonial administrator, in the
book, Peoples of Southern Nigeria, 1926, vol. 1,
page 317, says:
“The Jekri (Itsekiri) were called Iwerri and from
this their town was given its present name Warri”.
Browsing through Obaro Ikime’s Merchant Prince
of the Niger Delta, (H.E.B Paperback, 1968) one is
immediately struck by the profuse references to
the Itsekiri as the people and owners of warri.
In January 1891, Claude Macdonald was appointed
Commissioner and Consul-General over what was
later to become, Niger Coast Protectorate. At the
conclusion of his tour of the entire era, he wrote a
report concerning his visit to Warri as follows: The meeting was held as planned. Nana did not
attend. Virtually all the other important traders in
the Benin and Warri districts were present. Moor
reported that all the chiefs who attended the
meeting appeared to be anxious to carry out the
orders of the government. At the end a new treaty
was entered into the Itsekiri chiefs”. (See p. 105) AGAIN, ‘WARRI’ AND
‘ITSEKIRI’ ARE USED
INTERCHANGEABLY. THERE
IS AN EERIE! SILENCE WITH
REGARD TO THE URHOBO.
NOT ONCE ARE THEY
MENTIONED IN ALL THESE
PROFUSE REFERENCES TO
WARRI AND THE ITSEKIRI
Pardon me am not too good at posting large documents with my small bb. Theres big difference between Ode-itsekiri(warri) and Warri town(New warri). It was Ode-itsekiri(warri) that consul general visited in 1891 and not warri town(new warri). Warri town had not evolved as at 1891 becos Nana Olomu of Benin River and Oba Ovoramwen of Benin-city had not been deported. In 1892-1894, the british created a vice consul in warri town after signing treaties with the urhobos of agbassa and effurun. With the deportation of nana, dore numa was made in charge of benin river and george eyube(an urhobo) was made in charge of warri district. In 1900 george eyube died and dore took his position and used his influence to lease out agbarha lands to the british who in turn were selling lands to itsekiri. New warri( warri Gra), Alders town(wilkie) and agbassa village are all the property of urhobos of warri town.
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by klevotino: 1:53am On Feb 01, 2017
Good evening people. . was discussing with someone from north when this discussion came up , and I can bet that his view is common with Most Nigerians especially those from SW, SE and Northern Nigeria.. Below are some misconception about warri and her people.

1. Warri Is Owned By One Ethnic Group : Yea. most people believe Urhobo People own warri, Why some thinks Warri is owned by Itsekiri's. Hell No.. Warri is owned By three Tribe Urhobo, Itsekiri and Ijaw

2. Ruggedity :. I remember my first visit to Lagos.. At first they taught am Yoruba because of my name so they didn't pay me my due respect, So something came up I then revealed my ID that am from warri.. Mehn from that day They start fearing me, never Knew until Someone told me that they were scared of me.. Also Some People thinks if you are from Warri They You are Automatically Sturborn and Rugged which is not true, If you meet some wafarians like LKO, Fratermathy , Freemanan , Onuwaje e.t.c you did be surprise because they are very Cool and gentle but if You See People like me ... hmmmm

3 Oil City : This gat me laughing.. When we refer to warri as an oil city (Wish is a just a title) some people thinks Warri account For about 50% of Delta State Oil Prod. which is not True, Although the Tribes in Warri (Urhobo, Itsekiri and Ijo ) Account for about 93% of Oil prod. in Delta State.. The title "Oil City" Was just given to warri because of the Refinery and some Oil wells, our Major oil prod. are our Offshore oil field.

4 Itsekiri Are Yoruba Subgroup: You mostly hear this from Ignorant people especially those from North and some Yoruba people, Yes they speak almost same language, Bear similar names, But the fact still remains that Itsekiri Are Itsekiri, Yoruba Are Yoruba.. Although Itsekiri have a good relationship with Yoruba especially the Ilaje people who we see as our Kit and Kin.

5. Urhobo, Itsekiri, Ijaw Hates themselves; We usually Hear such Word from Non Niger Deltans who try to use Warri crisis to gain cheap point. You hear statement like " Niger Deltans re not One" "Ijaw hates Itsekiri" e.t.c but I tell you, All are lies, Itsekiri luv ijo , Ijo luv Urhobo Warri crisis is political

6. Warri people cannot speak Good English[/b]
This impression is gotten from the representation of Waffarians as masters of the Nigerian Pidgin. Because of this, most people think people from Warri can speak only pidgin and do not flow well in correct English. Well, this is wrong! The average Waffarian speaks English even much more and far better than the average person from the East, West and North!

7. Warri people are not intelligent
I have actually met quite a few people who have a stereotypical view that Waffarians are dull and unintelligent and only love trouble. Well, this is absolutely FALSE!!! Granted, Warri is a place where it is better IF YOU MAINTAIN YOUR OWN BUSINESS, the people are actually one of the smartest people from Nigeria! Warri has birthed great actors, professors, writers, philosophers, doctors, lawyers, etc. Some of Warri's great products include Richard Mofe Damijo, Professors Tanure Ojaide, Gabriel Darah, J.P. Clark, Isidore Okpewho, Eric Arubayi, Andrew Onokerhoraye, Andrew Evwaraye, etc. These Professors are some of the BEST in their various disciplines. The list of Warri intellectuals and intelligentsia cannot be fully encapsulated in this exposition.

8. The Olu of Warri Rules over ALL of Warri
This erroneous misconception stems from the titular appellation of the monarch himself as the Olu of WARRI! What people dont know is that this title ONLY came to be in the 1950s due to Awolowo. The original title was the Olu of Itsekiri. However, this title has stuck for the major reason that Itsekiris, which are one of the main inhabitants of Warri, call their homeland Iwerre! However, in Warri, there are several other monarchs who rule different ethnic groups. We have the Ovie of Agbarha-Warri, the Orosuen of Okere-Warri, the Pere of Gbaranmatu-Warri, etc. These monarchs rule over various sections of Warri. The Olu rules over the Itsekiri section, the Ovie and Orusuen rules over Urhobo and the Pere rules over Ijaw.

9. Warri is the Capital of Delta State
Well, I wouldn't blame people for thinking this. Most Northerners and Westerners hear only about Warri and assume that it must be Delta's capital. Many have forgotten their primary school States and Capitals... Asaba has always been and remains the capital of Warri. However, the politics that relocated the capital from Warri to Asaba is a story for another day. Warri still houses an annex of the Government House where governors go whenever they want to be close to Waffarians. Former Governor Uduaghan was once attacked for relocating from Asaba to set up a permanent base in Warri. However, I overheard a rumour that Okowa has closed this annex. If Anioma State is ever created for the Igbos of Delta State, Warri shall definitely emerge as a capital. For now, WARRI IS THE ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL CAPITAL OF DELTA STATE.

10. Warri includes Effurun, Udu and Osubi
Many novices in Warri usually count separate towns and cities such as Effurun, Enerhen, Udu, Agbarho, Okuokoko, Osubi, etc as part of Warri. This is not true. These towns/cities are independent of Warri. They are even in different local government areas from Warri. Effurun is in Uvwie, Osubi is in Okpe and Udu is an eponymous LGA. Warri City is in Warri South LGA mainly. The main city starts from Airport Road and connects with Edjeba, Okere, Agbarha-Ame, Jakpa, Ugboroke, Iyara, Idimi, Ajamimogha, Okumagba Avenue, Deco, etc. Effurun is a city of its own. Udu is a town of its own. Osubi and Okuokoko are classed as Okpe villages. However, due to modernisation and the lack of available houses in Warri City, many people move to these surrounding cities/towns to live and setup businesses and they end up calling everywhere WARRI. In a metropolitan sense, they are right. However, historically and otherwise, these cities/towns/villages are NOT IN WARRI!!!

Further credits : Fratermathy
Alrite noted...........
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by Nobody: 10:32pm On Jun 01, 2019
Contrast. kiss
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by SirNewtonNG: 10:42am On Oct 22, 2022
evadreams:
so u know

Hello, I hope you are still active. I'm seeing interesting things here. What book is this?

1 Like

Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by SirNewtonNG: 12:31pm On Oct 22, 2022
SirNewtonNG:

Hello, I hope you are still active. I'm seeing interesting things here. What book is this?

Just realized the book is comedy and propaganda grin so you mean to tell me the last olu who died in 1848 wanted to overthrow overamwen who was enthrone in like 1888. Joke

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

The Itsekiris. / Queen Ajoke Adeyemi's 30th Birthday Party Photos / Oluwo Of Iwo Requests ₦20M For His 'Royal Wedding' To Kano Princess

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.