Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,256 members, 7,811,715 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 05:53 PM

Some Misconception About Warri And Her People - Culture (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Some Misconception About Warri And Her People (38195 Views)

Common Misconception About Edo(benin)girls / Why Did Africans Sell her People? / A MUST READ: Misconception About Tiv Hospitality. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by Blessedgurl(f): 10:34pm On Dec 08, 2015
To all & sundry, the OP ain't to be blamed. Even many races & tribes have more than two accounts of their origin. But one or two is mostly recognized & acceptable.

The Itsekiris are notable for land claiming where ever they go.
That's why you see them laying claims to the whole of Warri & even the Ugbolokposo that belongs to the Uvwies.

Thank God that after the Great Warri Crisis, the people actually learnt their lessons. Ever since there has been peaceful co existence between all the people of Delta State.

Anybody wey yarn otherwise go collect flogging from Area Boys....

2 Likes

Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by prothelley(f): 10:36pm On Dec 08, 2015
fratermathy:

These things are in the past. The NA thing was because of Kidnapping and Militancy which have both died off for years now.

By the way, how many community boys u don see with pistol? If u don see them plenty naim be say ur own way nor pure too. Na only thief de know thief. All through my life for Waffi, I never take eye see GUN except Police own.

For your info, I de roll around for Waffi even by 1am. Nothing de HAPPEN!

Abeg tell d mumudey. Na dis kain pipo de spread bad news abt warri.
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by moscobabs(m): 10:36pm On Dec 08, 2015
prothelley:

And u de form parole here since......na d warri u de fear abi na waffirian?
I beg which one bi waffirian again?

Warri guys don start again o
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by prothelley(f): 10:40pm On Dec 08, 2015
moscobabs:

I beg which one bi waffirian again?

Warri guys don start again o

U don de piss already?? U nor ge liver u won enter persin lane, jor kpruoooo abeg
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by fratermathy(m): 10:40pm On Dec 08, 2015
Kirigidi:
If monarchs are not named after tribes, what then do u hav to say about d Attah Igala who is d paramount ruler of d Igala pipo/ethnic group based in Idah Town, Kogi State? Other examples of kings named after dia tribes nd not after names of towns include: d "Etsu Nupe" of Nupe tribe in Niger State, d "Tor Tiv" of Tiv tribe in Benue State, d "Ochi Idoma" of Idoma tribe also in Benue State nd d "Ashantehene" of d Ashanti tribe in d Republic of Ghana.

Nor mind that akpos wannabe guy. He go just open mouth de leak every single akamu when e brain produce de come out. Let him go and do his research.

Most of the funny Itsekiri wannabes here are simply deluded inferior people with low self esteems. They cling on to the only thing they think makes them special, some sort of royalty and exclusivity. They are threatened by us and by peace. Real Itsekiris nor de send again for this matter because all of us know say we don move on and forward ever shall we move.
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by gevans(m): 10:40pm On Dec 08, 2015
fratermathy:

This issue is a very simple issue bro. Do not mind detractors. You know I have a good history with them. Remember my cultural threads?

The best recipe is what you have just done. EVERY MONARCH IN WARRI KNOWS THEIR BOUNDARY!!! THE OLU OF WARRI IS THE OLDEST AND A FIRST CLASS KING BUT HE RULES ONLY OVER ITSEKIRI-WARRI.!!! Anyone who disagrees should rewrite history. Semper Fi!
AREA!!! bro I no know b4, say u Na wafarian o, wetin dey sup for area na, I b confirm wafarian o, e no get area wey I no dey enter o. Warri for life

2 Likes

Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by Nobody: 10:40pm On Dec 08, 2015
moscobabs:

I disagree with u bro. I did my transfer to Benin city in fact Benin is 100% peaceful than Warri , we go out any time in Benin coming late without any problem even the cost of living is Benin is cheaper than Ibadan unlike Warri that the minimum fare to take bike is 200 naira
As at the time you had that incident, Benin experienced high rate of robbery too. It is not just perculiar to just Warri only but most cities in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by DaGC(m): 10:43pm On Dec 08, 2015
Interesting read. Only mistake I saw was the 'Jakpa' ish. Sad at the ethnic sentiments of a few deluded folks though. Apparently, the teenage population on Nairaland is higher than I thought.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by Blessedgurl(f): 10:43pm On Dec 08, 2015
moscobabs:

I disagree with u bro. I did my transfer to Benin city in fact Benin is 100% peaceful than Warri , we go out any time in Benin coming late without any problem even the cost of living is Benin is cheaper than Ibadan unlike Warri that the minimum fare to take bike is 200 naira

To laugh you dey hungry me but I nor go do am.....where minimum fare take be 2h.....abi na from wafi to Lagos you dey go..... guy Abeg take am easy....

In warri, I dey move 1a.m nothing dey happen......Just say you don't like the place simple....

1 Like

Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by prothelley(f): 10:44pm On Dec 08, 2015
Abeg I won sleep make I fit wake on time go hustle. God bless n keep warri as one. To all d brothelly wey comment una try buh d ekpan fly wey misyarn.....I de watch u.

Tode......

1 Like

Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by Nobody: 10:44pm On Dec 08, 2015
misspicy:

so you are a wafarian? shocked

*****picks my shoes and runs for my life*****

Lol.

Waiting for you where you are running to....

Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by jieta: 10:51pm On Dec 08, 2015
martineverest:
1 -5 are all true.... Warri is owned by itsekiri; itsekiri is a mixture of Yoruba and bini culture(more of bini culture, which is the major difference btw get an ilaje); itsekiri, urhobo and ijaw are worst of enemies(just like Benin and ishans in Edo state;ebira and igalla;tiv and idoma); Warri and Benin are contesting for king of ruggedness and Warri is begging for development
Warri is not begging for development; is far more develop than benin
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by Nobody: 10:51pm On Dec 08, 2015
Warri is a Zone of intelligent folks. gangster people, kolo self you will find them there. am a Warri though, but from Udu. i also live in d rugged town of Udu LGA. Ovwian precisely! but ask me if am a stubborn guy, d answer is no. no matter where you're, you can be of good character if you choose to be. just mind your biz, then you're free. but don't step on anyone toe, cos if u do. sorry oh, all d anger he has reserve for u. he will definitely pour it on you!!
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by ManuelRichard(m): 10:53pm On Dec 08, 2015
Goodboiyy:
Good evening people. . was discussing with someone from north when this discussion came up , and I can bet that his view is common with Most Nigerians especially those from SW, SE and Northern Nigeria.. Below are some misconception about warri and her people.

1. Warri Is Owned By One Ethnic Group : Yea. most people believe Urhobo People own warri, Why some thinks Warri is owned by Itsekiri's. Hell No.. Warri is owned By three Tribe Urhobo, Itsekiri and Ijaw

2. Ruggedity :. I remember my first visit to Lagos.. At first they taught am Yoruba because of my name so they didn't pay me my due respect, So something came up I then revealed my ID that am from warri.. Mehn from that day They start fearing me, never Knew until Someone told me that they were scared of me.. Also Some People thinks if you are from Warri They You are Automatically Sturborn and Rugged which is not true, If you meet some wafarians like LKO, Fratermathy , Freemanan , Onuwaje e.t.c you did be surprise because they are very Cool and gentle but if You See People like me ... hmmmm

3 Oil City : This gat me laughing.. When we refer to warri as an oil city (Wish is a just a title) some people thinks Warri account For about 50% of Delta State Oil Prod. which is not True, Although the Tribes in Warri (Urhobo, Itsekiri and Ijo ) Account for about 93% of Oil prod. in Delta State.. The title "Oil City" Was just given to warri because of the Refinery and some Oil wells, our Major oil prod. are our Offshore oil field.

4 Itsekiri Are Yoruba Subgroup: You mostly hear this from Ignorant people especially those from North and some Yoruba people, Yes they speak almost same language, Bear similar names, But the fact still remains that Itsekiri Are Itsekiri, Yoruba Are Yoruba.. Although Itsekiri have a good relationship with Yoruba especially the Ilaje people who we see as our Kit and Kin.

5. Urhobo, Itsekiri, Ijaw Hates themselves; We usually Hear such Word from Non Niger Deltans who try to use Warri crisis to gain cheap point. You hear statement like " Niger Deltans re not One" "Ijaw hates Itsekiri" e.t.c but I tell you, All are lies, Itsekiri luv ijo , Ijo luv Urhobo Warri crisis is political

6. Warri people cannot speak Good English[/b]
This impression is gotten from the representation of Waffarians as masters of the Nigerian Pidgin. Because of this, most people think people from Warri can speak only pidgin and do not flow well in correct English. Well, this is wrong! The average Waffarian speaks English even much more and far better than the average person from the East, West and North!

7. Warri people are not intelligent
I have actually met quite a few people who have a stereotypical view that Waffarians are dull and unintelligent and only love trouble. Well, this is absolutely FALSE!!! Granted, Warri is a place where it is better IF YOU MAINTAIN YOUR OWN BUSINESS, the people are actually one of the smartest people from Nigeria! Warri has birthed great actors, professors, writers, philosophers, doctors, lawyers, etc. Some of Warri's great products include Richard Mofe Damijo, Professors Tanure Ojaide, Gabriel Darah, J.P. Clark, Isidore Okpewho, Eric Arubayi, Andrew Onokerhoraye, Andrew Evwaraye, etc. These Professors are some of the BEST in their various disciplines. The list of Warri intellectuals and intelligentsia cannot be fully encapsulated in this exposition.

8. The Olu of Warri Rules over ALL of Warri
This erroneous misconception stems from the titular appellation of the monarch himself as the Olu of WARRI! What people dont know is that this title ONLY came to be in the 1950s due to Awolowo. The original title was the Olu of Itsekiri. However, this title has stuck for the major reason that Itsekiris, which are one of the main inhabitants of Warri, call their homeland Iwerre! However, in Warri, there are several other monarchs who rule different ethnic groups. We have the Ovie of Agbarha-Warri, the Orosuen of Okere-Warri, the Pere of Gbaranmatu-Warri, etc. These monarchs rule over various sections of Warri. The Olu rules over the Itsekiri section, the Ovie and Orusuen rules over Urhobo and the Pere rules over Ijaw.

9. Warri is the Capital of Delta State
Well, I wouldn't blame people for thinking this. Most Northerners and Westerners hear only about Warri and assume that it must be Delta's capital. Many have forgotten their primary school States and Capitals... Asaba has always been and remains the capital of Warri. However, the politics that relocated the capital from Warri to Asaba is a story for another day. Warri still houses an annex of the Government House where governors go whenever they want to be close to Waffarians. Former Governor Uduaghan was once attacked for relocating from Asaba to set up a permanent base in Warri. However, I overheard a rumour that Okowa has closed this annex. If Anioma State is ever created for the Igbos of Delta State, Warri shall definitely emerge as a capital. For now, WARRI IS THE ECONOMIC AND SOCIAL CAPITAL OF DELTA STATE.

10. Warri includes Effurun, Udu and Osubi
Many novices in Warri usually count separate towns and cities such as Effurun, Enerhen, Udu, Agbarho, Okuokoko, Osubi, etc as part of Warri. This is not true. These towns/cities are independent of Warri. They are even in different local government areas from Warri. Effurun is in Uvwie, Osubi is in Okpe and Udu is an eponymous LGA. Warri City is in Warri South LGA mainly. The main city starts from Airport Road and connects with Edjeba, Okere, Agbarha-Ame, Jakpa, Ugboroke, Iyara, Idimi, Ajamimogha, Okumagba Avenue, Deco, etc. Effurun is a city of its own. Udu is a town of its own. Osubi and Okuokoko are classed as Okpe villages. However, due to modernisation and the lack of available houses in Warri City, many people move to these surrounding cities/towns to live and setup businesses and they end up calling everywhere WARRI. In a metropolitan sense, they are right. However, historically and otherwise, these cities/towns/villages are NOT IN WARRI!!!

Further credits : Fratermathy

@ op, make ur correction.. Asaba has always been n will always remain d capital of warri... #Haba. !

that's wrong naa

Anyways nice piece ..that's what I always try to explain to sm myopic n prejudiced dumbasses from rivers n cross rivers here in PH...
#i rep
Warri.. full tym
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by Nobody: 10:56pm On Dec 08, 2015
jasysandra:
Warri is just a place to be.

A place where even a Kid can teach you a life lesson.

AREA!!!!!!! grin
Lol, a vary nice place to be. only confident people are liable to stay, otherwise.... i end am there, come try!!
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by fratermathy(m): 10:58pm On Dec 08, 2015
DaGC:
Interesting read. Only mistake I saw was the 'Jakpa' ish. Sad at the ethnic sentiments of a few deluded folks though. Apparently, the teenage population on Nairaland is higher than I thought.

The Jakpa issue is too small for people to rant about as if their lives depend on it. There is a popular junction at the gateway to Warri known as Jakpa junction which is followed by Jakpa road, I guess that's where that impression comes from.
The ethnically oriented comments are not new. Some of these guys spend their whole time looking for rancour and how to ignite issues which are totally unnecessary or can be ignored. Some people lack approach, civility and amity. They speak anyhow and lack any form of control whatsoever. Imagine someone conjuring up Itsekiri-Urhobo slavery all because of Olu of Warri issue. Is that even needed? Was it necessary to prove any point. ?

In any case, I always fight these guys back so that they can understand that their delusions of grandeur is only that of a toddler just learning how to craw.
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by chrisogaga: 10:59pm On Dec 08, 2015
NIce piece, thinking of posting this on FBook. PPle need to be informed, by the way all credits to you. wink
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by fratermathy(m): 11:01pm On Dec 08, 2015
asuustrike2009:

As at the time you had that incident, Benin experienced high rate of robbery too. It is not just perculiar to just Warri only but most cities in Nigeria.

Abeg forget that pretender. Edo Roads have the highest rate of highway robberies in the WHOLE COUNTRY! Auchi-Okene Road, Akure Road, Ekpoma-Agbor Road, in fact, all roads in Edo that are not Federal Roads or Highways are barricaded by wanton boys.
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by fratermathy(m): 11:03pm On Dec 08, 2015
ManuelRichard:

@ op, make ur correction.. Asaba has always been n will always remain d capital of warri... #Haba. !

that's wrong naa

Anyways nice piece ..that's what I always try to explain to sm myopic n prejudiced dumbasses from rivers n cross rivers here in PH...
#i rep
Warri.. full tym

Obviously a typo! He didn't mean that. smiley
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by fratermathy(m): 11:04pm On Dec 08, 2015
Blyzz:
Warri is a Zone of intelligent folks. gangster people, kolo self you will find them there. am a Warri though, but from Udu. i also live in d rugged town of Udu LGA. Ovwian precisely! but ask me if am a stubborn guy, d answer is no. no matter where you're, you can be of good character if you choose to be. just mind your biz, then you're free. but don't step on anyone toe, cos if u do. sorry oh, all d anger he has reserve for u. he will definitely pour it on you!!
gevans:

Bros, crime is not familiar with only Warri, it happens in every cities in Nigeria, I think maybe one of d guy's friends leak out his secret to bad boys, by GOD'S grace I hv never been robbed in Warri, since I was born til just now, wen u r in busy cities u gat to shine ur eyes like never b4, Warri wil b peaceful to u if u want it so or d other way round if u choose so. Warri for life!!!

Kpakam! Normal levels. Who nor know this one need to go Abraka go learn Waffiology for 4years.

1 Like

Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by ihearYou(m): 11:07pm On Dec 08, 2015
tpiar:
am I from Warri?

No.

So, the thread doesnt concern me.
e no consyn u,yet u comment. who send u? aproko.with ur mouth like shoe. ur father!

1 Like

Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by gevans(m): 11:09pm On Dec 08, 2015
moscobabs:

original Warri babe I sight u....so carrying money that belongs to u or ur company is a crime?

I used to carry 18m from Lagos Island to Agege and nothing will hapun but Warri boys do kill cos of 50k
Bros, crime is not peculiar with only Warri, it happens in every cities in Nigeria, I think maybe one of d guy's friends leak out his secret to bad boys, by GOD'S grace I hv never been robbed in Warri, since I was born til just now, wen u r in busy cities u gat to shine ur eyes like never b4, Warri wil b peaceful to u if u want it so or d other way round if u choose so. Warri for life!!!
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by Kirigidi(m): 11:14pm On Dec 08, 2015
santosesq1:
This is were the Urhobo made mistake you don't have king of people you have king of place
Who fed u dat lie? Can u tell me d title of d king of d Igala pipo/tribe of Kogi State? Is it not "Attah Igala"? Was he titled "Attah of Idah" Town where he rules frm? What of d "Tor Tiv" who is king of d Tiv pipo wit palace in Gboko Benue State, d "Ochi Idoma" king of d Idoma pipo wit palace in Oturkpo Benue State, d "Etsu Nupe" king of d Nupe pipo of Niger State, or d "Ashante-hene" king of d Ashante pipo wit palace in Kumasi City, Republic of Ghana. D question is why those kings I mentiond not titled after d respectiv towns they rule frm? And why were they rather titled after d respectiv pipo/tribes they rule? Frm d exmples I gave it's very obvious dat kings can either b titled after d towns they rule frm or after d pipo they/tribe rule. Even look at d "Queen of England", she lives in or rule frm Burkingham Palace in London, yet she is not addressd as "Queen of London".

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by Nobody: 11:14pm On Dec 08, 2015
mikigen:
its been fun quoting you here hun... am keep stalking you tho! Do have a gd nite rest.
cheesycheesy,that sound cool.

Alright sweery,nightwink

1 Like

Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by DaGC(m): 11:16pm On Dec 08, 2015
fratermathy:

The Jakpa issue is too small for people to rant about as if their lives depend on it. There is a popular junction at the gateway to Warri known as Jakpa junction which is followed by Jakpa road, I guess that's where that impression comes from.
The ethnically oriented comments are not new. Some of these guys spend their whole time looking for rancour and how to ignite issues which are totally unnecessary or can be ignored. Some people lack approach, civility and amity. They speak anyhow and lack any form of control whatsoever. Imagine someone conjuring up Itsekiri-Urhobo slavery all because of Olu of Warri issue. Is that even needed? Was it necessary to prove any point. ?

In any case, I always fight these guys back so that they can understand that their delusions of grandeur is only that of a toddler just learning how to craw.

Jakpa is part of a metropolitan Warri. Its Uvwie.
As for the teenagers, I've learnt not to too get involved. One f**l even said Osubi people abi airport pay homage to the Olu.

The simple truth is that the title is cosmetic. His powers are limited. Even during the mourning period, Okere that is just close to the palace was still flexing on a regular while Itsekiris were forbidden to do so. Why didn't these teenagers say Okere kingdom is not part of Warri and that's why the people didn't follow the directive? undecided

Sentiments aside, the Olu has no power over the people of Okere, Ogbe-Ijaw, Agbassa, Okumagba, Polokor, Igbudu, Edjeba etc and these are all communities in Warri. Infact there are many more communities sef. He wasn't even buried in Warri.

Bottomline, yes the title says Warri, but his powers are limited to the itsekiri nation. Anybody believing otherwise is just being up to mischief.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by watchindelta(m): 11:17pm On Dec 08, 2015
warri till I tear ummm. area
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by Nobody: 11:17pm On Dec 08, 2015
ihearYou:
e no consyn u,yet u comment. who send u? aproko.with ur mouth like shoe. ur father!
na dis kin people dey give waffians bad name so.

The guy quote you?he mention you?which kin agbewe con be dis self?

Sorry boo na u be aproko here.
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by martha89: 11:18pm On Dec 08, 2015
fratermathy:

Abeg forget that pretender. Edo Roads have the highest rate of highway robberies in the WHOLE COUNTRY! Auchi-Okene Road, Akure Road, Ekpoma-Agbor Road, in fact, all roads in Edo that are not Federal Roads or Highways are barricaded by wanton boys.
How do you know he from there? Must you bring others down just to defend your own. Well okene is not far from Edo and Edo share boundary with a lot of states. Alot of the bank robberies that happen last month were trace to okene kogi state etc.
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by fratermathy(m): 11:20pm On Dec 08, 2015
martha89:
How do you know he from there? Must you bring others down just to defend your own. Well okene is not far from Edo and Edo share boundary with a lot of states. Alot of the bank robberies that happen last month were trace to okene kogi state etc.

I am not bringing down anything. Robberies still happen in Delta State. Robberies are not unique to any particular place or state. That is my point. Next time, before you come in media res, purview foregoing iterations.
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by watchindelta(m): 11:23pm On Dec 08, 2015
warri till I tear ummm. area..
Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by m003: 11:25pm On Dec 08, 2015
FruityLass:
Warri warri

cheesy

Their father!
No their DAD grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Some Misconception About Warri And Her People by Nobody: 11:30pm On Dec 08, 2015
goldenceo1:

constructive criticism is allowed. I won't join issues wit sum1 who has little or nothing to contribute to my well being when we meet in person bring ur tenses, spelling to d table let's c were it leads u to.... ignoramus!
you talk as if you installed Oxford 9 edition on ur brain. you must be brilliant oh??

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

The Itsekiris. / Queen Ajoke Adeyemi's 30th Birthday Party Photos / Oluwo Of Iwo Requests ₦20M For His 'Royal Wedding' To Kano Princess

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 83
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.