Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,771 members, 7,820,692 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 07:38 PM

TEAM LASU wins Super Nairaland Interschool debate (Clash of Previous Winners) - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / TEAM LASU wins Super Nairaland Interschool debate (Clash of Previous Winners) (21842 Views)

Nairaland Interschool Debate Fourth Edition Participation Thread / Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals: Winner:: Unilorin: / Nairaland Interschool Debate Semi Finals Winner: OAU (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: TEAM LASU wins Super Nairaland Interschool debate (Clash of Previous Winners) by Fynestboi: 3:12pm On Dec 26, 2015
Good one from Timidelaw horlapelumi we await yours...
Re: TEAM LASU wins Super Nairaland Interschool debate (Clash of Previous Winners) by xynerise: 3:12pm On Dec 26, 2015
Fynestboi:

That's different from this sir....
Elaborate, pls
Re: TEAM LASU wins Super Nairaland Interschool debate (Clash of Previous Winners) by horlapelumi(m): 3:16pm On Dec 26, 2015
Sun rise or Sun set east or west, its almost evening time relax and debate, good afternoon one and all Honourable juries/adjudicators, respected Moderators, my fellow competitors and all nairalanders. Today horlapelumi (hereinafter refer to as “I”) would like to light my views supporting the motion; Quintessential Nigerian Graduate - A Product of Self Development not the Institution. First I will define essential terms and then tell you the story of Ade which clearly shows that Quintessential Nigerian Graduate is a product of self development. Finally I Will highlight in details reasons that proves my conclusion which still remains that Quintessential Nigerian Graduate is a product of self development.
Quintessential has been defined to mean; “representing the perfect example of a class or quality” and
Self development covers activities that improve awareness and identity, develop talents and potential, build human capital and facilitate employability, enhance quality of life and contribute to the realization of dreams and aspirations.
Institutions refer to organizations set up for educational purposes.
Back to the story of Ade, 17 years old Ade got his admission into one of the prestigious institution in Nigeria, shortly after resumption an orientation was conducted for his likes and they called them newbie. Quietly Ade listened to all the lectures at the orientation program and all he took home was “You have to study hard and come out with a first class or worst a second class upper, that is why you are here, it increases your chances of getting a job and, provides you with an opportunity to be successful”. He jumped into actions, attending lectures and never misses any, Ade believed the school system was designed toward memorizing and repeating facts, and after, all have good grades. The institution has a rule, follow the rules and pass the exams, you’re good to go. After countless nights in the library, falling asleep in between piles of books, memorize equations, facts and dates, write it down to the letter, half of which he never remembers, and half of which he forgets straight after the exam. Ade finished with a 4.45 and he was sitting in front of the manager for his employment interviews (he never even thought he was going to do one) and he was asked what value would be added to the society through him. Ade was temporarily dumb for minutes and the only thing he could mutter was, “I was never taught”. Like Ade we have many Nigeria students who had been through schools but have nothing to show for it. This makes me want to ask; why am I in school? What do I need to be outstanding? Do I need to think outside what my lecturers are saying? What will become of me after school? All these are questions of self development. Of course the school has answers to this, they would so say; to learn, learn, just learn what they teach you and you will get a job outside there. But the big question is who creates such jobs?
This takes me to the first of my numerous points. In schools many know what they do but don’t know who they are. Are we thinking alike? Maybe we just need to ask this simple question. What really makes me a special graduate? Working like Ade, obeying school rules of giving back what was given to me? Good grades and a fixed income monthly? Or enthusiastic, SELF-motivation, hard-work, attention to detail, organization, Independent but capable of working in a team; self-motivation, well-rounded; being a good communicator, personal responsibility for learning, for understanding the science behind the research, for making and recording careful observations in the laboratory? Trust me, if all this are thought in the institution, it’s going to be a 26 unit course and guess what even the institutions has left us to this, they only want to hear over the radio as a successful tourist, computer scientist, psychologist, content curator and strategist. Who cares to know what you did to attain such feats, you are a graduate of our institution. Therefore, If I separate 'what I do' from 'what I am' then I am either going to fall into a deep quagmire of self-justifications (self-deceptions) for those actions that I do in order to get what I believe to be necessary to get ahead professionally, but which are incongruent with my sense of personal identity OR live in a state of guilt, regret or frustration, eventually develop a dissociative personality where what my body does is a different phenomenon to the person that I am. Knowing who you are makes you who you are and this are never thought in class rooms.
Furthermore, personal growth is the foundation for all else. Giving credits to institutions is like putting the cart before the horse, nothing moves because the cart can’t move; only the horse can move the cart. What then are we saying, we are the horse and nothing moves unless we move, not even the lecturers. Case study of one of my lecturers who has been teaching for 30 years relying on expertise came to class to give us an outdated position of law from one of his outdated lecture materials, yes, I just need to give him that to pass his examination but what will I write as answers when I find myself in a court room with the life of a client at stake? I therefore stand to say, the school only makes you a graduate, only you can make yourself a quintessential Nigerian graduate.
Though my opponent might argue that; the institution is a place where good professional character is acquired. My argument on this is that a person cannot have a good professional character unless they understand their own personal character. If I as an individual do not know that it is wrong to steal then what would prevent me from stealing from my place of employment. Or more succinctly if I do not know how to "sell" myself and my ideas in order to promote my financial status; then I may feel the only way to financially grow would be to "steal" from others.
Also, it is a clear fact that the Nigeria educational system with its integrated curriculum has over time begot half baked graduates, the quintessential graduates are those who have chosen not to be restricted by what the school has to offer. According to Olofintoye, & Prince, 2013; the goals of University education remains elusive and seems unachievable as the universities products (graduates) in Nigeria often time could not marry knowledge acquired in schools with that of the labour market. In other words, our institutions have over time been unable to boast of certified graduates who have an acquired ability to effect what they have learnt from the institutions. For instance, In our own part of the world and institution, series of letters had to be written just to be sponsored as student to represent the school in competitions outside the school, few months to the anticipated date the school turn down your proposals because ‘they don’t have money’ or are there not many computer science graduates that never had access to computers from the school for their practical’s, students of fisheries in a school without ponds or Biochemist with outdated laboratory equipments and when such students gets to the labour market, the supposed knowledge acquired are not being properly applied. So do we call such a graduate a quintessential graduate?
All this are facts that speak for themselves, audibly and sound, visibly and clear in one tone, unity and accord. Why give credit to institutional settings that has only over time evolved regressively while the society rapidly evolves progressively. I stand on my motion, firm and unshaken, willing not to be moved by words that claim that Quintessential Nigeria Graduate are products of the institutions rather than self developments.
Conclusively, Proverbs 17:16 says, “it’s does a fool no good to spend money on an education”, do you know why? Simply put, because he has no common-sense. Institutions don’t give common sense, quintessential graduates develop themselves, and it’s an innate feature that needs to be discovered. Often the difference between a successful man and a failure is not one's better abilities or ideas, but the courage that one has to bet on his ideas, to take a calculated risk, and to act. That is common sense!!!

REFERENCES;
• thefreedictionary.com
• dictionary.cambridge.org
• vocabulary.com
• brainyquote.com
• inspirationalkits..com.ng
• nigeriacommunicationsweek.com.ng
• cc.gatech.edu
• genius.com

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: TEAM LASU wins Super Nairaland Interschool debate (Clash of Previous Winners) by Fynestboi: 3:18pm On Dec 26, 2015
Thanks TEAM LASU...

FUNAAB your turn... But before then let wait for 5mins while FUNAAB team prepare theirs...
Re: TEAM LASU wins Super Nairaland Interschool debate (Clash of Previous Winners) by Fynestboi: 3:21pm On Dec 26, 2015
xynerise:

Elaborate, pls

Did you get that now sir?
Re: TEAM LASU wins Super Nairaland Interschool debate (Clash of Previous Winners) by Fynestboi: 3:28pm On Dec 26, 2015
Funaab team your turn...

Nunushokoto
PSEUDONOMER
Re: TEAM LASU wins Super Nairaland Interschool debate (Clash of Previous Winners) by Fynestboi: 3:34pm On Dec 26, 2015
Make we carry chair dey wait for FUNAAB...

Once is 4pm we are moving to the next thing...
Re: TEAM LASU wins Super Nairaland Interschool debate (Clash of Previous Winners) by Fynestboi: 3:55pm On Dec 26, 2015
NUNUSHOKOTO
Re: TEAM LASU wins Super Nairaland Interschool debate (Clash of Previous Winners) by Nunushokoto(m): 3:55pm On Dec 26, 2015
I greet everyone on this thread.

I am here to speak on a quintessential student as a product of the institution but before I dangle into that, I'll like us to have an idea on who a quintessential student is. The dictionary defines quintessence as a thing that is the most perfect example of its type or the most perfect embodiment of something. In lieu of that, I define a quintessential student as one who is said to be bright and brilliant and one who is willing to learn. Now, no student can be bright just by studying all by himself or herself because he or she will not understand what he is studying or reading. He can only understand better if he had been properly tutored by a teacher. This leads me to my stand that a quintessential student is a product of the institution. Without taking much of our time,I'll backup my stand with the following points.

Firstly, lecturers and teachers have a better understanding of how to communicate effectively with their students in a way that gives them a clear vision of what he or she is taking about even when the topic to be taught seems complex and beyond the carrying capacity of the students brain.

Also, Lecturers and teachers can model how professionals work through disciplinary questions or problems. This way, they help the students overcome their fears especially those of them that sees the topic as being difficult. They also endeavor to move along with the pace of those students who are slow in learning so as to carry every student along, thereby leaving no one behind.

Furthermore, these teachers have teaching materials that further simplifies things for the students as they (the students) find it easier to relate and understand better with the introduction of a teaching aid as it easily breaks down complex topics for the students.

Most of the time, we tend to blame the failure or poor performance of the students on the institution which clearly is not and should not be the case. A student who fails is a student who has been taught, properly groomed but still refuses to study hard while a student who performs excellently- a quintessential student- is one who has been properly and effectively taught, groomed and has taken time to revise whatever he or she has been taught by his or her teachers. With all this said, it all boils down to the willingness of the student to learn and understand whatever is being taught by his teacher. Also I use this medium to encourage every student out there to cultivate a healthy reading habit because success cannot be yours if you do not take time to study and study right. Thanks
Re: TEAM LASU wins Super Nairaland Interschool debate (Clash of Previous Winners) by Fynestboi: 3:57pm On Dec 26, 2015
SIGH THANK YOU!

particpants can take their time to peruse each others argument before the rebuttal..

TWO MINS...
Re: TEAM LASU wins Super Nairaland Interschool debate (Clash of Previous Winners) by Fynestboi: 4:03pm On Dec 26, 2015
Nunushokoto I believe you can do better by breaking into loose LASU team argument.
Re: TEAM LASU wins Super Nairaland Interschool debate (Clash of Previous Winners) by Fynestboi: 4:05pm On Dec 26, 2015
OK it's time for rebuttal......
Re: TEAM LASU wins Super Nairaland Interschool debate (Clash of Previous Winners) by Timidelaw(m): 4:09pm On Dec 26, 2015
Who goes first?
Re: TEAM LASU wins Super Nairaland Interschool debate (Clash of Previous Winners) by Fynestboi: 4:11pm On Dec 26, 2015
Timidelaw:
Who goes first?

You go first.... Though there is no schedule for that....
Re: TEAM LASU wins Super Nairaland Interschool debate (Clash of Previous Winners) by horlapelumi(m): 4:17pm On Dec 26, 2015
A very big thank you for the privilege given to me to say something on this topic again haven gone through my opponent arguments which was bright but has given me no reason to change ground.

As much as the oppositions has laid down a whole lots of premises as to why all credits should be given to the institutions and blames shouldn't be ascribed to the institutions alone, he however concluded with my claims that "Quintessential Nigeria Graduate is a product of Self development" when he said and i quote "it all boils down to the willingness of the student to learn and understand whatever is being taught by his teacher".

Also, of what importance is a teaching aid without a teachable student?
Finally, without wasting so much time, and words i still maintain that Quintessential Nigeria Graduate is a product of Self development.

Thank you.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: TEAM LASU wins Super Nairaland Interschool debate (Clash of Previous Winners) by Fynestboi: 4:18pm On Dec 26, 2015
cheesy cheesy
Re: TEAM LASU wins Super Nairaland Interschool debate (Clash of Previous Winners) by Fynestboi: 4:20pm On Dec 26, 2015
Keep them coming....
Re: TEAM LASU wins Super Nairaland Interschool debate (Clash of Previous Winners) by Aminat508(f): 4:24pm On Dec 26, 2015
More.......
Re: TEAM LASU wins Super Nairaland Interschool debate (Clash of Previous Winners) by Fynestboi: 4:32pm On Dec 26, 2015
Nunushokoto nothing.?
Re: TEAM LASU wins Super Nairaland Interschool debate (Clash of Previous Winners) by Timidelaw(m): 4:32pm On Dec 26, 2015
Having read through the classic piece put up by my opponent, I say "Sabash" meaning well-done. However, I beg to differ with respect from my opponent's interpretation of the word quintessential. A better and proper understanding of that word would answer other misstatements innocently made by my opponents.
I can only but wonder why I keep on seeing the word "teachers/lecturers" in my opponents argument, it is no news to a Nigerian Student the fact that lecturers are very few in their number in our Institutions, is it when one lecturer takes 3 or 4 courses or when we have no teacher to teach a course? Lets come real, if only my opponent would testify on the situation in his great Citadel, then it would no longer be an argument. It is only when the teachers are available then we open the chapter of my opponent's argument and pick out all factors which are not real and visible again.
I conclude to state categorically again that, the Nigerian institution lacks all it takes to make a quintessential graduate, try to oppress and suppress an aspiring quintessential graduate through poor scores, lack of support and so on, only glory over such and is far from producing such.
The truth be said, I remain a true Nigerian who advocates for the appropriate quarters to work. With the above, I am sure you are now more certain as I have only come to shed more light on that which we already know to be the true and correct position of things, that the Quintessential Nigerian gradate is a product Self-Development and not the Institution.
Re: TEAM LASU wins Super Nairaland Interschool debate (Clash of Previous Winners) by Fynestboi: 4:33pm On Dec 26, 2015
OK over to the judges if any of them is around..

Judges you can now ask your questions if none please let know..

Judging.
Freemanan
Xynerise
MaziOmenuko
DONSMITH123
Re: TEAM LASU wins Super Nairaland Interschool debate (Clash of Previous Winners) by Fynestboi: 4:35pm On Dec 26, 2015
Good one from team LASU...
Re: TEAM LASU wins Super Nairaland Interschool debate (Clash of Previous Winners) by Fynestboi: 4:38pm On Dec 26, 2015
I believe our audience are going through the argument. Time for audience question will be usher in soon...

1 Like

Re: TEAM LASU wins Super Nairaland Interschool debate (Clash of Previous Winners) by Fynestboi: 4:45pm On Dec 26, 2015
I believe our audience are busy feasting on the argument from TEAM Lasu and that of TEAM FUNAAB...

Judges any questions?

Freemanan
Xynerise
MaziOmenuko
DONSMITH123
Re: TEAM LASU wins Super Nairaland Interschool debate (Clash of Previous Winners) by Truman155(m): 4:50pm On Dec 26, 2015
can the audience now ask questions?
Re: TEAM LASU wins Super Nairaland Interschool debate (Clash of Previous Winners) by Fynestboi: 4:50pm On Dec 26, 2015
Audience you can throw in your question, but endeavour to tag the name of the participant your questions is directed to..
Re: TEAM LASU wins Super Nairaland Interschool debate (Clash of Previous Winners) by Fynestboi: 4:51pm On Dec 26, 2015
Truman155:
can the audience now ask questions?

Yes sir.... smiley
Re: TEAM LASU wins Super Nairaland Interschool debate (Clash of Previous Winners) by Aminat508(f): 4:51pm On Dec 26, 2015
Nice one,LASU

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Federal Universities In Nigeria Remain Tuition-Free - Dele Alake / JAMB 2015/2016 UTME Registration Officially Begins / Six Kinds Of freshers You Will Find In The University

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.