Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,781 members, 7,813,582 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:27 PM

How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? (32942 Views)

Got My First F In My Final Year Exam. / Hardest Course(s) You Did In School As An Undergraduate. / Which Of These Sentences Scares You Most As An Undergraduate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by Bbsharon(f): 1:30am On Jan 01, 2016
otodeluxe:

Are you a student of oau?

No, I school in a state university. I just wanna know how the whole thing went cuz I would like to do change of course by all means after my second semester

Find out from your school senate.

It varies in school.
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by Nobody: 12:10am On Jan 09, 2016
kilokeys:

U r a fooool if u couldn't see the humor in that..

U can't term it as wasted.. I only can.. I choose not to.

I have moved on.. I am better off.

Don't mind the boy. When u want to apply for masters you will know the difference .
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by ORI1(m): 2:16pm On Jan 09, 2016
alpontif:
Some people are asserting here that Nigerian graduates from most Nigerian universities are Unemployable.

They have a point. But that doesn't mean foreign trained graduates are better.

It's all about the value you can add to any organisation. Before you go for an interview. Put yourself in the CEO's shoes, if you were in his position, will you be able to employ somebody like you?...Why?

The answer to the why is the reason why you will pass or fail an interview.

Guys, fork the grade you come out with, especially in Engineering. Employers are much more concerned about your Skills. Design Skills , Construction skills , Problem solving skills, management skills. You have got to be able to start adding certain precise values to the organization immediately. Most companies don't do graduate trainee stuff.

So, what do you do while you are still in school?

I ll tell you what I did.

By my 200 level, I knew I don't want to put in the hard work it will take to get a first class or a 2.1.

I knew that if I am not even serious at all, in any way, I will still make a 2.2.hell!, before my set, no one in my department has ever made a first class. The department only produced one three sets after my set.

So I settled on getting a 2.2. So I skipped classes, skipped assignments, missed tests etc. I had a lot of free time. But there was a method to my madness.

Even though you will rarely see me in class, I was always at the library, reading...not studying.

What was I reading? I never read my my Course materials until usually 3 weeks to the exam. By that time , I will have photocopied class notes, and gotten past questions and solutions.

So what do I read in the library then?. I read everything. From newspapers, to journals, to novels, to materials from other fields of knowledge. I know enough about economics for you to think I have an MBA, I know about the arts, from the renaissance to the contemporary, I can discuss the politics and finance of most governments, astronomy and other fields of knowledge is familiar to me. Ancient literature and modernist Architecture is no biggie to me.

In short, I became very very very well informed. The only thing I may not converse on intelligently is football, and that's because I don't follow or watch it.

At the same time as I was doing all this, I made sure I did internships where I can get skills, fork money. I got envied software skills, I got practical engineering training, I got rare softwares.

By my 500 level, I was the goto guy on design softwares in my department. Even my lecturers dey consult me.

This meant that by the time I graduated, I had what most employers wanted. I had the technical skills, I am educated in the real sense of it. I could fit into any organisation, and I was always thinking.

By this time also, I have had like at least 200 connections on LinkedIn. This was when most working professionals in Nigeria do not even know what it is,not to talk of students.

By this time I am already familiar with the wall street journal, Harvard business review, Global finance etc, and can educate you profusely on derivatives or hedge funds....etc.

But I had a 2.2, but has that stopped me? No.

Why?.. Because I add value to my employers. Instantly. No long thing.

Someone like me doesn't look for jobs. You identify a company, you identify a problem they are facing, or you create an improved version of the solution, you identify a key decision maker, you connect on LinkedIn, you package the solution, you send it via dhl, you get a sit down interview with the person, you discuss a consulting gig, they won't let you go, you get a job.

Fork grades.

The important thing is know how to add value, that is what they will pay you for.

But if you can, please make very good grades.

Eg, You may find it hard to make it into Harvard business school or MIT Sloan if you don't have a first class.

It is crucial.

The education system has collapsed in Nigeria, graduates are only employable if they develop themselves. Not by what they learned or failed to learn in the standard school curriculum.

I have interview several candidates who do not know how to use common AutoCAD. Tell me, who will employ you.

Point is don't wait for the school to empower you. Empower yourself by getting the skills, by brushing up yourself, by been informed.

That will make you stand out, and employable.
Bro,thank u for this post,i learnt a lot . would really love to converse with u on some stuffs relating to your post. I'm an engineering student too btw.
I'm new on nairaland sha so I don't know how to get to u bt please hala me. would b very grateful.
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by awoo47: 2:07pm On Sep 30, 2016
Had only f in EEE 203 funny I'm in elect oau. Couldn't read 4 exams 4 d 2nd semester,meanwhile i read 4 about 2days straight 4 d 1st one. But i had A in 204 which i didn't really read cry

1 Like

Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by Hakeem12(m): 5:58am On Jan 11, 2017
Bbsharon:
My experience

When I gained admision to Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) my joy knew no bounds. Tho I wanted to do biological science but was given chemistry. I was just too happy I got the admission and nothing more. I
did not take my time to find out about the course so I found
out the hard way In school, one thing I want jambites to please do before resuming. Find out about your course of study and stop waiting for any orientation programme honestly you might not hear or pick anything from what they will say and that is if
you even attend the orientation programme.
I had my first "f" in year one as an undergraduate and I tell
you it was terrible. I cried my eyes out. I had "f" in a 5units
course, I just stared at the result for long and could not
believe it was my result.Bad enough it was pasted with
name and matric no. Typical of mathematics department in OAU. They have got no chills for anybody, is none of their
business if you did not offer further maths in your secondary school. They teach like it's a continuation from secondary school further maths. They jump steps and keep telling you am sure you have done this in secondary school.

Gosh, those days i felt like strangling them and mind you I
was attending classes regularly but still failed so it was that terrible. I immediately checked out my friends results too and they all passed, even the one that had an E made me feel bad, then I remembered that movie "3idiots" .
" when your friends fail you are worried and when they do pass and you fail, you become morw worried"

It was not easy telling people my pain then, some were just
curious not like they care. And then you meet senior
colleagues telling you stuffs like "and this the simplest maths you will do o" .
They killed my spirit the more. That f did a massive
destruction on my gp.

I consoled myself tho after 2weeks and made up my mind to change my course immeditely. A decision many found
strange, they kept reassuring me I can do better but I knew
better than to listen to them. I know where my strength lies
and have had enough of the push. My parents wanted me to become a medical doctor which took my three years of
writing jamb without still getting it.So I decided to leave
humbly witn my 3rd class just in year one before they show me the way out (road 1).Immediately change of course form was out I obtained mine fast and I tell you am happy in my new department.

At the end is all about being fulfilled and happy in whatever field you find yourself.stop allowing people push you around to satisfy their own selfish interest.Live your own life and stop existing only, have a say on your life. So many undergraduates today are studying a course because their parents wanted them to or the society they find themselves in, some even for their own selfish interest and then we have so many unhappy youth these days.

Aim at being fulfilled and then you find happiness abundantly.
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by Bbsharon(f): 8:52pm On Jan 11, 2017
Hakeem12:
can one obtain change of course form with carryover

Sure you can as long as your cgpa still meets the required minimum to cross.
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by davide470(m): 9:31pm On Jan 11, 2017
That was in ENS211 - Engineers in Society. Stvpid Indian Lecturer.

Wrote it again, this time, another lecturer handled the course and got an A.
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by baba11(m): 8:43am On Jan 13, 2017
davide470:
That was in ENS211 - Engineers in Society. Stvpid Indian Lecturer.

Wrote it again, this time, another lecturer handled the course and got an A.

Engineering in the devt. of Society?

I didn't know you're an engineer.
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by davide470(m): 1:02pm On Jan 13, 2017
baba11:

Engineering in the devt. of Society?

I didn't know you're an engineer.
Yeah, something like that.

I am one, are you?
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by baba11(m): 11:29am On Jan 14, 2017
davide470:
Yeah, something like that.

I am one, are you?
Yeah..I am an engineer too.

But not yet cross-over to financial sector like you.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by dingbang(m): 6:44pm On Jan 25, 2017
Bbsharon:

u eh.. E remain make I beat u... I sent u a pm with respect to visiting Erin ijesha fall and up till now I haven't gotten a reply from you
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by ksbusari(m): 1:33pm On Jan 27, 2017
My first and the last 'F' as an undergraduate came in my first year second semester. A business Mathematics course I never prepared for. luckily that semester result was my best bt with that scary grade. After I saw the result I was determined to be more serious and promised myself to withdraw after the second 'F' which eventually did not come.
One thing about that grade is that one cannot hide it. everybody knew I had it. its stressful cos' when I had to resit, I had to plan for it plus other courses. so i was sitting for three courses in a day when my mates sat for two courses.
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by Nobody: 5:43pm On Jan 27, 2017
Hmmm...
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by Hakeem12(m): 5:12pm On Feb 03, 2017
Bbsharon:

sorry but where did you cross to?
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by Nobody: 6:32pm On Feb 03, 2017
I didn't feel bad. I felt responsible for it.coz I didn't prepare fr de exams.
Worked hard when I took the course again and made a C grin

That was the only F I had in school.
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by LordFriar: 10:01pm On Nov 11, 2020
funkyfella:
I reported the lecturer to the school senate committee.

I'm aware this is coming 5 years later but I need to know .. what eventually happened?

Did you win or did the lecturer get sanctioned?

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Rivers University Student Finds Rusted Zinc In The Food She Bought In The Hostel / Lady Shows Off Impressive Legwork Dance As She Graduates From University (video) / LASU College Of Medicine Management Throws Out Students’ Belongings From Hostels

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.