Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,812 members, 7,813,677 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:07 PM

How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? (32944 Views)

Got My First F In My Final Year Exam. / Hardest Course(s) You Did In School As An Undergraduate. / Which Of These Sentences Scares You Most As An Undergraduate? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by tuk2ato(m): 1:05pm On Dec 28, 2015
My 1st F was in my part 3, i was staying in town in ife, so i went home immediately, slept around 3pm and woke up about 8am the next day! I couldnt register for the course in part 4 cos it was farm year in OAU. During my final year, i registered for the course, i had a reading timetable for the course everyday cos i was afraid of having extra year, i attended all the classes sitting in front with people 2 years my junior. I sat for the exam and i had 68 B.
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by GMan650(m): 1:05pm On Dec 28, 2015
Bbsharon:
My experience.

When I gained admision to oau I was very happy, but I wanted to do biological science and I was given chemistry. I was just happy I got the admission and nothing more. I didn't take my time to find out about the course so I found out the hard way In school. One thing I want jambites to pls do before resuming. Find out about your course of study and stop waiting for any orientation programme, you might not hear or pick anything from what they will say and that's if you attend the orientation programme self.

I had my first f in year one as an undergraduate and I tell you it was terrible. I cried my eyes out. I had f in a 5units course, i just stared at the result for long and couldn't believe it was my result.Bad enough it was pasted with name and matric no. Typical of mathematics department in oau. They have got no chills for anybody, is none of their business if you didn't offer further maths in your secondary school. They teach like it's a continuation from secondary school further maths. They jump steps and keep telling you am sure you have done this in secondary school.

Gosh, those days i felt like strangling them and mind you I was attending classes regularly but still failed so it was that terrible.
I immediately checked out my friends results too and they all passed, even the one that had an f made me feel bad, then I remembered that movie "3idiots" .

It wasn't easy telling people my pains then, some were just curious not like they care. And then you meet senior colleagues telling you stuffs like and this the simplest maths o, they killed my spirit the more. That f did a massive destruction on my gp.

I consoled myself tho after 2weeks and made up my mind to change my course immeditely. A decision many found strange, they kept reassuring me I can do better but I knew better than to listen to them. I know where my strength lies and have had enough of the push. My parents wanted me to become a doctor by force by fire which took my 3years of writing jamb without still getting it.So I decided to leave humbly witn my 3rd class just in year one before they show me the way out (road 1).

Immediately change of course form was out I obtained mine fast and am happy in my new department.

At the end is all about being fulfilled and happy in whatever field you find yourself.

Stop allowing people push you around to satisfy their own aims.Live your own life and stop existing only, have a say on your life. So many undergraduates today are studying a course cos their parents wanted them to or the society or even for their own selfish aims and then we have so many unhappy youth these days. Aim at being fulfilled and then you find happiness abundantly.

olawalebabs Fynestboi Richiez lalasticlala

Touching......... meanwhile Chemistry is a very interesting course but as you have said it depends on individual's interest. #Ama proud chemist #... what is not chemistry

3 Likes

Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by Ishilove: 1:05pm On Dec 28, 2015
Bbsharon:
Hello nairalanders, I will like meaningful contributions here on this topic.

I believe the yet to resume jambites or those yet to even write jamb will learn from this. So pls kindly share your experience, what you did to overcome the setback.

What were the things you did or didn't do that made you fail or you think made you fail?

Also were you given "f" as student would say or you obtained it.

pls share.

fynestboi lalasticlala
GST 203. My one and only F throughout my years in school, It was so painful, in short i was speechless for most of the day.

Did i earn it? Hell yeah. I was depending on 'voltron', but when the voltron disappointed me, i and my co 'voltron defenders' had big, fat , red Fs cheesy

How did i overcome? The following semester i read like my life depended it (no voltron this time cheesy) and passed. Shikena

Lesson: Never ever depend on human beings because they will disappoint, and for goodness never go into battle unprepared. I learnt it the 'F' way wink

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by bossto(m): 1:08pm On Dec 28, 2015
mine was in my first year CHM103,Practicals only no exams or c.a in dis course. I almost bend mehnn!!
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by Samakus(m): 1:09pm On Dec 28, 2015
Never had an F. Did my very best not to have and most importantly, God made me not to have carryover. Pol.sc Unizik no be beans o but God was mighty!
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by jasperkrekre(m): 1:09pm On Dec 28, 2015
I never had an "F" as an undergraduate and even post graduate student!
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by Nicepoker(m): 1:10pm On Dec 28, 2015
Had an f in women affairs.
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by tuk2ato(m): 1:10pm On Dec 28, 2015
Babe, you made the right decision o! White house isnt a faculty for peeps who dont have a strong background in further maths from secondary school, had 44 E in my MTH 105. IF one isnt good in maths, he/she shouls steer clear of engineering and sciences faculties!
Bbsharon:
My experience.

When I gained admision to oau I was very happy, but I wanted to do biological science and I was given chemistry. I was just happy I got the admission and nothing more. I didn't take my time to find out about the course so I found out the hard way In school. One thing I want jambites to pls do before resuming. Find out about your course of study and stop waiting for any orientation programme, you might not hear or pick anything from what they will say and that's if you attend the orientation programme self.

I had my first f in year one as an undergraduate and I tell you it was terrible. I cried my eyes out. I had f in a 5units course, i just stared at the result for long and couldn't believe it was my result.Bad enough it was pasted with name and matric no. Typical of mathematics department in oau. They have got no chills for anybody, is none of their business if you didn't offer further maths in your secondary school. They teach like it's a continuation from secondary school further maths. They jump steps and keep telling you am sure you have done this in secondary school.

Gosh, those days i felt like strangling them and mind you I was attending classes regularly but still failed so it was that terrible.
I immediately checked out my friends results too and they all passed, even the one that had an f made me feel bad, then I remembered that movie "3idiots" .

It wasn't easy telling people my pains then, some were just curious not like they care. And then you meet senior colleagues telling you stuffs like and this the simplest maths o, they killed my spirit the more. That f did a massive destruction on my gp.

I consoled myself tho after 2weeks and made up my mind to change my course immeditely. A decision many found strange, they kept reassuring me I can do better but I knew better than to listen to them. I know where my strength lies and have had enough of the push. My parents wanted me to become a doctor by force by fire which took my 3years of writing jamb without still getting it.So I decided to leave humbly witn my 3rd class just in year one before they show me the way out (road 1).

Immediately change of course form was out I obtained mine fast and am happy in my new department.

At the end is all about being fulfilled and happy in whatever field you find yourself.

Stop allowing people push you around to satisfy their own aims.Live your own life and stop existing only, have a say on your life. So many undergraduates today are studying a course cos their parents wanted them to or the society or even for their own selfish aims and then we have so many unhappy youth these days. Aim at being fulfilled and then you find happiness abundantly.

olawalebabs Fynestboi Richiez lalasticlala
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by Omeny: 1:11pm On Dec 28, 2015
It was so devastating! It was in Unilag, ACC 311! I felt so sad, those that didn't do test or assignment scaled through it.
Well, I have to rewrite it and am better for it now!
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by nwadiuko1(m): 1:15pm On Dec 28, 2015
business maths dat year Nd1 second semester.......adibe nearly ruined me.......thank God sha
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by PrinceZahzah(m): 1:16pm On Dec 28, 2015
Most of us here are Engineering Students...

well,"F" no dey stop us... cool
#TeamEngineer
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by j1mmy: 1:16pm On Dec 28, 2015
HDee:
no, pls don't jump into conclusion, just because your brain was as clean as an empty bottle when you graduated, does not mean every graduate was like you. Get the facts straight, we have intelligent peeps doing great things.

I will jump to conclusion pal, and I will also jump to conclusion that from your post you are also one of these olodo graduates.

An average Nigerian graduate is unemployable...unless perhaps in a typical backward Nigerian setup, that is why many have to fly abroad to get a masters degree to support their Nigerian degrees and then international companies can employ them.

A Chinese or Lebanese street mechanic has higher IQ than a Nigerian university trained graduate and that is why such a foreigner can be the boss and master of these Nigerian graduates. There are organisations employing Nigerian graduates who have attended UK and US for follow up degrees!

A Nigerian who attended 1st degree in university abroad brings better intelligence to the table than a Nigerian who has a PHD inside Nigeria!
It has been tested time and time again and it is still the current model. There are PHD holders in Nigeria who validate their degrees by going abroad to study a common post graduate certificate!!!!!!!

It is not necessarily the subjects and studying per say, it is to do with the mentality of Nigerians and their exposure within the primitive and backward setting of Nigeria!

1 Like

Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by aolumaxi(m): 1:17pm On Dec 28, 2015
TopeQs:
never failed a course.....but I had a missing script which prompt me to rewrite the exam, I went to complain to our coordinator, they made it seem like it is my fault, funny enough it was my main departmental course. well after I swallowed my bitter pill and realised there wasn't a way, I decided to rewrite with my juniors then. it bruised my GP in the first year...........but, I still managed to come out with a 3.02/4.00 GP

it was a polytechnic........
me nd you follow share the same GP #3.02
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by Nobody: 1:18pm On Dec 28, 2015
Never had an F throughout my undergraduate studies...
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by spencekat(m): 1:18pm On Dec 28, 2015
I did not have such experience as an undergraduate.
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by SEYIOKE: 1:19pm On Dec 28, 2015
My colleagues were more surprised than myself
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by Curare: 1:21pm On Dec 28, 2015
Never

Had

An

"F"

cool cool grin grin
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by youngds: 1:22pm On Dec 28, 2015
SweetyZinta:
I did not feel Bad @all cos I saw it as a challenge I MUST deal with in order to succeed. Maths 111.

I managed to pass it with a D the next session cheesy

I no just like Maths @all, I no send

Futminna bah? DAT course no get joy! & PHY123
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by aolumaxi(m): 1:23pm On Dec 28, 2015
Mine was like a movie ooo.... it was in ND2 second semester, a course called bldg services, the exam was even the simplest we did thruout the ND days... test, I called 21, only to find 13 in my exams..... it wasn't funny dah day, I went to my HOD and she said she couldn't do anything abt it, I was like 'whc kind mama be dis? Me wey I Neva fail any course before?? Later went to my dean sha and dey discussed it in and the man jst added 10 mark for all of us...

The 'Olori ire' lecturer failed seven pple who don't av reference before... #jst_imagine

Thank God he didn't drop my GP beyond #3.02
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by Nobody: 1:24pm On Dec 28, 2015
Passing through the medical college, we only used the 'A- F' scoring system in 100L, thereafter it was either 'pass or fail', failure being defined as any score below 50. In my 100L days, the least I had was a 'C', however the story changed in the medical college where it wasn't a thing of shame to fail a course. My first 'fail' grade was in a course called INTRO B [pharmacology] where I had a score equivalent to my shirt size. Ironically, that was among the top 10 scores in a class of 150.
My reaction? I felt like a big boy.
#Unilorinmedicalcollege, #UITH

4 Likes

Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by MoyoGENERAL: 1:24pm On Dec 28, 2015
I only had a D.... and that D was in ELA301.....Uniben engineering wicked those years sha!
Imagine having 9A's and Just a D in ELA that semester!...so so absurd!!!! but who cares?
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by Netroemmy(m): 1:24pm On Dec 28, 2015
Chei....everybdy is complainin about MTH....and i have not checked my MTH result recently uploaded online.....abeg i no check again till i go back skul

1 Like

Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by ajebuter(f): 1:24pm On Dec 28, 2015
Actually i was an effico ( i dont know if that slang is still used on our campuses)

Never had an F (scout's honor)

I was never below B+

Once i scored a C and it was agreed it was a mass failure

I represent LASU (1996 -2000)

And then, my school fees was N240 , and i would collect 20k From my dad. (Sho! I cant believe i just admitted that) lol

Anyway, olonshoism wasnt in our dictionary then (thank God)

And if you quote me i will fart in your face grin grin
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by oriakuna: 1:24pm On Dec 28, 2015
Simple, work harder. Nd prepare for the carryover
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by Nobody: 1:25pm On Dec 28, 2015
I already had suspicions that i was going to get an 'F' in the course the moment I left the exam Hall so I had already started doing the thinking from then on. when results were eventually released I checked and my suspicions were confirmed. Like every other student back then I looked for people that had an 'F'like me and as Usual we sat together and talked about How Life was so unfair and How Wicked the Lecturer was

13 Likes

Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by tomzman: 1:25pm On Dec 28, 2015
I never had 'F' in any course. The worst I ever had was an E. I felt bad initially but when I calculated my CGPA and discovered that the effect was negligible, moving on was a bit easier.

2 Likes

Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by HDee(m): 1:25pm On Dec 28, 2015
j1mmy:

I will jump to conclusion pal, and I will also jump to conclusion that from your post you are also one of these olodo graduates.

An average Nigerian graduate is unemployable...unless perhaps in a typical backward Nigerian setup, that is why many have to fly abroad to get a masters degree to support their Nigerian degrees and then international companies can employ them.

A Chinese or Lebanese street mechanic has higher IQ than a Nigerian university trained graduate and that is why such a foreigner can be the boss and master of these Nigerian graduates. There are organisations employing Nigerian graduates who have attended UK and US for follow up degrees!

A Nigerian who attended 1st degree in university abroad brings better intelligence to the table than a Nigerian who has a PHD inside Nigeria!
It has been tested time and time again and it is still the current model. There are PHD holders in Nigeria who validate their degrees by going abroad to study a common post graduate certificate!!!!!!!

It is not necessarily the subjects and studying per say, it is to do with the mentality of Nigerians and their exposure within the primitive and backward setting of Nigeria!

so, who is to blame? The students or the university system?
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by Zellie: 1:26pm On Dec 28, 2015
They gave me a course I didn't like, so I didn't do all the courses for the semester cos I was going to write Jamb again, I had F's in all the courses I didn't do cool

Since I got what I wanted, I've never had an F, not even a C tongue tongue

1 Like

Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by AikayDaWrapper(m): 1:27pm On Dec 28, 2015
I just laughed and went to sleep. Wrote it the next year as carryover and passed.

No need to cry or stress urself over spilt milk.

1 Like

Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by Nobody: 1:28pm On Dec 28, 2015
WELL...my brother/sister (as applicable), I never had a F while I was undergrad, and I believe you can be better, the least I has was 49....still ending 2.1....you can be the best you wanna be if you start with a good thought ...May God help you
Re: How Did You Feel When You Had Your First "F" As An Undergraduate? by awesome11(m): 1:30pm On Dec 28, 2015
kilokeys:
Great futarians

In thermodynamics.. First and only F.

Had 30/40 in my CA... Then 6/60 in my main exams.

Went to the lecturer.. Asked for my script.. The mumu no see am.. Basterd Akinola. Went to my course adviser.. And the ediot told me to "take heart, such is life".

As someone keen on the arts.. Engineering wasn't so much fun anyway.. I ended up with the strongest 2 2 of the century. 3.48.

In all i give God thanks.. Lesson learned, experiences gathered.

Life will always wanna fvk u bad. Resist and get ur arse ripped.. Best is use enough lubes and move on as soon as it's done.

Hope you know Dr. Akinola is now a king. By the way, which of the Thermodynamics? MEE 206 or MEE 413?.
I had my first non-A/B grade in his course too( 43E)- Engineering Drawing II(MEE 202).

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Rivers University Student Finds Rusted Zinc In The Food She Bought In The Hostel / Lady Shows Off Impressive Legwork Dance As She Graduates From University (video) / LASU College Of Medicine Management Throws Out Students’ Belongings From Hostels

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.