Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,567 members, 7,850,944 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 11:14 AM

Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students - Education (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students (50378 Views)

12 Things That Happen During Every Maths Exam (when You Don’t Know Maths) / You Think You Know Maths ? Try This. / Mini-Bus Built By Engineering Students In Unizik....see Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by elantraceey(f): 8:44pm On Jan 03, 2016
EVarn:
Their mathematics must be very easy,I have never heard of any committed student trying to read mathematics from a textbook,and yet hoping to understand it.It doesnt work that way.

Lol, I'm one, in fact I understand mathematics best on my own, I could spend a whole night just studying one topic to make sure I gain full comprehension of a topic.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Raplinx(m): 8:47pm On Jan 03, 2016
Durentt:
by "practising" u mean going around changing bulbs nd sockets? grin bcuz dats wat i see most elect graduate doing
grin grin grin,
Durentt u wicked ooo
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Electronzeez(m): 8:47pm On Jan 03, 2016
elantraceey:

Electrical /electronics engineering.

I'm in my finals and aside from being a little grounded in the theorical aspect when it comes to practical what I know are things I learnt during my industrial training.

In 100l we did science courses
200l all engineering courses
300l a mixture of Mech and eee courses.
400l just a semester of electrical and electronics courses
then in final year you just a semester to major in your main field whether electrical or electronics, now please tell me what one can possibly learn in 3 months alongside project.

I understand your plight .the university system is just like that . it's a different story here , I drop all my borrowed course right from ND1 though I finished with mathematics English and economics .I have been majoring in electronics since my second year .

Let me tell you the truth , there is no school in Nigeria that will teach you to match with your electrical counterpart across the world , same goes for every course taught in Nigeria institution . you need to do more of self coaching and practicals .
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Girltee1(f): 8:48pm On Jan 03, 2016
Durentt:
madam don't say wat u dont know? Hav you started and finish algebra in an engineering class and also started and finish d same algebra in a mathematics class??

Na there u go knw khaki no be leather
Bro, that's why you're in maths.undecided

Thing is, engineeeing students have an idea of almost everthing in maths. And that idea can go a long way in solving even complex problems.undecided
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by vislabraye(m): 8:49pm On Jan 03, 2016
pmann2:
MOST ENGINEERING STUDENTS WILL MAKE FIRST CLASS IN MATHEMATICS BUT ONLY FEW MATHEMATICS STUDENTS CAN MAKE FIRST CLASS IN ENGINEERING... ENGINEERING STUDENTS ARE FAR MORE INTELLIGENT THAN MATHEMATICS STUDENTS... TEACH ENGINEERING STUDENT ANY MATHS AND HE/SHE WILL DO WELL IN THAT MATHS... CHECK THE GENERAL MATHEMATICS RESULT OF 100 LEVEL ENGINEERING AND MATHEMATICS STUDENTS AND YOU WILL SURE SEE THE DIFFERENCE... REAL ENGINEERS LOVE AND ADORES MATHEMATICS.

Your opinion is not a general truth. You can speak about what happens in your school. A lot of things are subjective. Do you know there are engineering courses that mathematicians handle well ?
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Electronzeez(m): 8:50pm On Jan 03, 2016
Durentt:
by "practising" u mean going around changing bulbs nd sockets? grin bcuz dats wat i see most elect graduate doing

Lol, I do beyond that sir . why have you concluded that studying engineering is a waste of time .

Take time oo grin
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by opeey(m): 8:51pm On Jan 03, 2016
Am proud to be a civil engineering students.. We really good in mathematics N we score higher marks than does studying mts @times.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by maestroferddi: 8:56pm On Jan 03, 2016
ajebuter:

I just love this dude! You just made my day.

I havent laughed this hard in two decades.

Thumb up aburo! But, i refuse to be dragged into online verbal sparring with you, afterall, i stand to gain no millions from this childish and i-must-triumph-in-this-argument nature of yours.

And any syntatic error(s) is/are in your imagination. Enjoy your diatribe
Do I suspect a not-so disingenuous way of chickening out of what was fast turning into a humbling spectacle?

I hope that next time asking you wouldn't be caught whilst your hand is in the cookie jar of hasty generalisation.

Talking of laughter, I am also making do with some hilarity from this end...
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 8:56pm On Jan 03, 2016
Raplinx:
grin grin grin,
Durentt u wicked ooo
fact bro. grin am dishing out d facts to dem. They claim to be mathematicians nd engineers combine yet changing bulbs up and down grin
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 8:59pm On Jan 03, 2016
Electronzeez:

Lol, I do beyond that sir . why have you concluded that studying engineering is a waste of time .

Take time oo grin
i didn't conclude anytin. Its a fellow engineer in dis thread dat said it grin
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jan 03, 2016
CuteEmma:
See your life?? Ode
i can see u are rude. I don't exchange words wit ladies pls don't quote me again
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by martineverest(m): 9:01pm On Jan 03, 2016
EVarn:
What can I say?,they had personnal relationships with their lecturers.
not really... Engineers see maths as walk over... Most engineering maths lectures force their students to come to class.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 9:04pm On Jan 03, 2016
Girltee1:
Bro, that's why you're in maths.undecided

Thing is, engineeeing students have an idea of almost everthing in maths. And that idea can go a long way in solving even complex problems.undecided
yea dats why am in maths dept nd i dnt nid someone frm whack engineering dept bragging to kno it beta than me
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Electronzeez(m): 9:08pm On Jan 03, 2016
Durentt:
i didn't conclude anytin. Its a fellow engineer in dis thread dat said it grin

She dint mean that way ogaoga grin

Park well make you go do maths sad
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by ajebuter(f): 9:11pm On Jan 03, 2016
maestroferddi:
Do I suspect a not-so disingenuous way of chickening out of what was fast turning into a humbling spectacle?

I hope that next time asking you wouldn't be caught whilst you hand is in the cookie jar of hasty generalisation.

Talking of laughter, I am also making do with some hilarity from this end...

Nope. Don't have anything to gain or prove and I stand by my argument that a sizable number of folks in that profession 'gbagaun' unapologetically. It's not a means of denigrating them or their profession, it's my keen observation. Imagine someone expecting proficiency in mathematics from a language-inclined person like me? I wont feel insulted because it's not my strong point.

Besides,you wouldn't expect me to go 'Obahiagbon' just to prove a point?

Methink that would be childish and I'm not.

Enjoy the night (hopefully not 'solo')
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by vislabraye(m): 9:12pm On Jan 03, 2016
Madmathecian:

The phone/PC you're using to type that rubbish would not have existed without Mathematics.

The cars, aeroplanes, jets, television and all the technology today would not have existed without Mathematics,

Even Number Theory is a branch of Pure Mathematics, but without it, online shoping/banking would not have been possible, I can go on and on but I don't have to, every intelligent person alive knows that Mathematics rules the world.

As for Engineers and Mathematicians, they can never be one, engineers works with the principles of applied Mathematics, Mathematicians are research scientists that works on rigorous proofs and theorems.

Most people don't even understand the concept of Engineering, if you want to develop laws and jet engines, then go and study Theoretical Physics(Physics and Mathematics), if you want to work with these laws and design jet engines, then go study Engineering.

In a nutshell, Mathematicians and Physicists develop tools and theorems and engineers apply it their area of work, that is the reason you'll never see Engineers working as research scientists.

Thumbs up !!! You nailed it.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Deeypeey(m): 9:18pm On Jan 03, 2016
How can Engineering students claim they knw beta...when Mathematics students are mathematical all-rounders buh these wanna-be borrowers are sum sorta one-aspect wonders...buh dts none of my business sha,mathematics or engineering ooo,I just want OAU to separate us frm NAMSN...#Statisticians_Rock
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Girltee1(f): 9:18pm On Jan 03, 2016
Durentt:
yea dats why am in maths dept nd i dnt nid someone frm whack engineering dept bragging to kno it beta than me
Lol
We don't brag.cool
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 9:22pm On Jan 03, 2016
[quote author=Gbengem post=41555723]Give them question on analysis A̶̲̥̅̊₪d algebra to solve A̶̲̥̅̊₪d they will run away... [/quotes] Seriously? U wish!!!
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 9:32pm On Jan 03, 2016
Electronzeez:

She dint mean that way ogaoga grin

Park well make you go do maths sad
Really? Then wat did she mean? She clearly stated dat if she knew earlier, she wud hav read maths. After graduation, her eyes opened grin
But u can't show me one mathematics graduate wishing to hav done engineering. Not one
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Girltee1(f): 9:33pm On Jan 03, 2016
Durentt:
And matter of factly, it has become a tradition for engineering stidents to have the highest scores in maths courses(also being taken by maths majors oo).

How abt that?undecided
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jan 03, 2016
Durentt:
YOU ARE CORRECT BRO. Youare d first engr dat i've seen accepting engineering needs mathematicians, we math students arejst too under-rated. I kno engineers need math nd phy. But why wud they brag to be mathematicians?? An engineering std is an engineering std, they shud stop trying to replace mathematicians. Funny enof our country gv mathematicians jobs to engineers.
/ engineers do not need mathematicians, engineers are mathematicians with the added advantage of real life applications
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 9:33pm On Jan 03, 2016
Deeypeey:
How can Engineering students claim they knw beta...when Mathematics students are mathematical all-rounders buh these wanna-be borrowers are sum sorta one-aspect wonders...buh dts none of my business sha,mathematics or engineering ooo,I just want OAU to separate us frm NAMSN...#Statisticians_Rock
wellsaid bro
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 9:36pm On Jan 03, 2016
eldave:
/ engineers do not need mathematicians, engineers are mathematicians with the added advantage of real life applications
pls do proper research nd stop lame assumptions
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by profmallory(m): 9:38pm On Jan 03, 2016
At BSc Level yes, an Engineer gets to do a lots of the sciences depending on what branch of Engineering you study. So basically an Engineer does some mathematics, physics, chemistry etc. However, when you get to Phd Level, then an Engineer becomes the scientist. He become the mathematician, the physicist, the geologist, the Biochemist etc.

But really an Engineer is the best profession in the whole wild world.

wink
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 9:38pm On Jan 03, 2016
Girltee1:
And matter of factly, it has become a tradition for engineering stidents to have the highest scores in maths courses(also being taken by maths majors oo).

How abt that?undecided
bcuz i said d maths are not of d same level.
My sista khaki is not leather.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jan 03, 2016
profmallory:
At BSc Level yes, an Engineer gets to do a lots of the sciences depending on what branch of Engineering you study. So basically an Engineer does some mathematics, physics, chemistry etc. However, when you get to Phd Level, then an Engineer becomes the scientist. He become the mathematician, the physicist, the geologist, the Biochemist etc.

But really an Engineer is the best profession in the whole wild world.

wink
Engineering best profession in d world? 0ga i disagree.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Raplinx(m): 9:41pm On Jan 03, 2016
Madmathecian:

The phone/PC you're using to type that rubbish would not have existed without Mathematics.

The cars, aeroplanes, jets, television and all the technology today would not have existed without Mathematics,

Even Number Theory is a branch of Pure Mathematics, but without it, online shoping/banking would not have been possible, I can go on and on but I don't have to, every intelligent person alive knows that Mathematics rules the world.

As for Engineers and Mathematicians, they can never be one, engineers works with the principles of applied Mathematics, Mathematicians are research scientists that works on rigorous proofs and theorems.

Most people don't even understand the concept of Engineering, if you want to develop laws and jet engines, then go and study Theoretical Physics(Physics and Mathematics), if you want to work with these laws and design jet engines, then go study Engineering.

In a nutshell, Mathematicians and Physicists develop tools and theorems and engineers apply it their area of work, that is the reason you'll never see Engineers working as research scientists.

God bless u Sir! So according to ur own point of view, what do u think is the difference between a Physicist and a mathematician??
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Mightyraw(m): 9:44pm On Jan 03, 2016
Cos I though MTV student Fourier series only to realise I v to teach em Laplace d next semester,while i studied both all in dxame course...and guess wat we wr level mate
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Mightyraw(m): 9:44pm On Jan 03, 2016
Cos I though MTH student Fourier series only to realise I v to teach em Laplace d next semester,while i studied both all in dxame course...and guess wat we wr level mate
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 9:46pm On Jan 03, 2016
elantraceey:

Lol, I'm one, in fact I understand mathematics best on my own, I could spend a whole night just studying one topic to make sure I gain full comprehension of a topic.
WORD!!
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Electronzeez(m): 9:47pm On Jan 03, 2016
Durentt:
Really? Then wat did she mean? She clearly stated dat if she knew earlier, she wud hav read maths. After graduation, her eyes opened grin
But u can't show me one mathematics graduate wishing to hav done engineering. Not one

Are you saying maths is more of hot cake in Nigeria than engineering , I don't understand .

What she said is practically not applicable to every to be engineer out there .I know of engineering dude that are doing well. There five years was never a waste , I am also a living witness .

What I have achieved today won't have been possible if I opted for maths and I believe you will say the same thing .

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (18) (Reply)

When Will Waec Gce Nov/dec Results Be Realeased? / Common Grammatical Tautologies / FG Upgrades Four Colleges Of Education To Varsities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.