Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,409 members, 7,830,054 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:38 PM

Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students - Education (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students (50241 Views)

12 Things That Happen During Every Maths Exam (when You Don’t Know Maths) / You Think You Know Maths ? Try This. / Mini-Bus Built By Engineering Students In Unizik....see Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Charly68: 8:19pm On Jan 03, 2016
Everything about Engineering is calculation based
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by kayusbrown(m): 8:19pm On Jan 03, 2016
This argument is common especially among those who don't know the difference between pure and applied mathematics. I am an Engineer and will never brag that I am better than a Mathematician in his field. Engineers are only exposed to applied mathematics. All mathematics courses in engineering curriculum have their applications in engineering analysis, otherwise they will be irrelevant. Mathematicians on the other hand study both pure and applied maths. Pure maths is best defined as mathematics for the sake of mathematics; no aplication in focus (though outcomes may be applied later, some findings may be purely theoretical and exist only for aesthetics grin). Examples of these pure mathematics topics are Groups and Rings, Real Analysis, Complex Analysis, Functional Analysis, Calculus of variation, Lesbeque measure and theory of integration etc. Honestly I was sleeping uncontrollably when I picked one of those Advanced Mathematics textbook to read some of these topics. grin Most Engineers will also sleep or end up with migraine trying to figure out the essence of the concepts in those topics as an Engineering mind is trained to do.

The argument now boils down to which is more difficult? Pure or applied maths? Pure mathematics (mathematics in itself) is more difficult. In fact, all mathematics are pure until their useful application is found.

Another thing is when you compare same topics in Engineering mathematics textbooks of K. Stroud and Glyn James with that of textbooks written by pure mathematicians like H.D. Kass and Kreyzig, you'll have a better perspective of why an Engineer should never claim to be a Mathematician.

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 8:20pm On Jan 03, 2016
Durentt:
den u wud av done pure math then
ok sir.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jan 03, 2016
Electronzeez:

May I know the aspect of engineering you are majoring at and why you think it's a wasted five years .
bro hear it frm d mouth of an engineering graduate. I bet you'll say d sam wen u graduate grin
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 8:23pm On Jan 03, 2016
CuteEmma:
Upload your jamb result to prove me wrong.. Simple
#seeing_is_believing
i dnt Want or need u to believe
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 8:25pm On Jan 03, 2016
Charly68:
Everything about Engineering is calculation based
does dat mak dem mathematicians?
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by EVarn(m): 8:25pm On Jan 03, 2016
martineverest:
he must be a uniben graduate. Most engineering student don't attend mth 125 classes. They end up doing scooping 'As'.... They just buy the text book and combine with k.a Stroud.
Their mathematics must be very easy,I have never heard of any committed student trying to read mathematics from a textbook,and yet hoping to understand it.It doesnt work that way.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by udeh3(m): 8:26pm On Jan 03, 2016
Durentt:
Lol i cant seem to wrap dis idea how Engineering students think or act lik they do/know mathematics aspect more dan those who spend all their freaking lecture hours solving grin am Pure Mathematics student nd an engineering student came to me today saying "am wastin my time doin pure maths that dey (engineering) are equal to mathematicians plus dey hav added engineering knowledge. grin I was lik wtf, suite urself, i kno why i chose mathematics over engineering during JAMB. Am not a foool.
Engineering students brag to be all rounder but i refuse to accept an engineer can replace a mathematican except in a useless country lik nigeria angry

Ask your lecturers why they love lecturing engineering students than their own students. Back then in school, you see Mech eng and Elect/Elect Eng students blasting 90-98 in any mathematics courses except statistics where they gets 60-70.

Engineering students are sharper! I rep Electrical Engineering!
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 8:26pm On Jan 03, 2016
Which country? Cos i know for sure its not in Naija... What most engineering students know here is cultism.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by killsmith(f): 8:28pm On Jan 03, 2016
I doubt if this so-called engineers would comprehend the concept of integration....(reimann-stieltjes integral)....just the simple abstraction of the Riemann integration is enough to make them dizzy grin grin

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Electronzeez(m): 8:28pm On Jan 03, 2016
Durentt:
bro hear it frm d mouth of an engineering graduate. I bet you'll say d sam wen u graduate grin

I am graduate of electrical and I am practising , my years in the polytechnic has never been a waste . why don't you ask me what gave birth to my question .

There are some engineering courses one can take from our crappy universities and polytechnics that can never be a waste of time except you thought you would be spoon fed before being admitted .
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Girltee1(f): 8:28pm On Jan 03, 2016
Durentt:
madam even if they offer it, doesn't mean wat dey do is on the same level with maths students
Almost the same thing.
You should come to my school. Engineering students take maths courses from 100-400level.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by pmann2(m): 8:29pm On Jan 03, 2016
MOST ENGINEERING STUDENTS WILL MAKE FIRST CLASS IN MATHEMATICS BUT ONLY FEW MATHEMATICS STUDENTS CAN MAKE FIRST CLASS IN ENGINEERING... ENGINEERING STUDENTS ARE FAR MORE INTELLIGENT THAN MATHEMATICS STUDENTS... TEACH ENGINEERING STUDENT ANY MATHS AND HE/SHE WILL DO WELL IN THAT MATHS... CHECK THE GENERAL MATHEMATICS RESULT OF 100 LEVEL ENGINEERING AND MATHEMATICS STUDENTS AND YOU WILL SURE SEE THE DIFFERENCE... REAL ENGINEERS LOVE AND ADORES MATHEMATICS.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Electronzeez(m): 8:29pm On Jan 03, 2016
MEKKY77:
Which country? Cos i know for sure its not in Naija... What most engineering students know here is cultism.

grin grin grin
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by pmann2(m): 8:31pm On Jan 03, 2016
killsmith:
I doubt if this so-called engineers would comprehend the concept of integration....(reimann-stieltjes integral)....just the simple abstraction of the Riemann integration is enough to make them dizzy grin grin

If you can comprehend it why do you think an engineer will not?... engineers are intelligent people don't forget that and most engineering courses are mathematically inclined.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Raplinx(m): 8:31pm On Jan 03, 2016
Girltee1:
Forget that side, bro.shocked

200level engineering students also offer Analysis and abstract algebra.cool
math is math, yes! Even if they do it, they'll only do the part that suits their application, they can never take it to the core like Mathematics students!! They wont even out do Physicist in Math.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by martineverest(m): 8:32pm On Jan 03, 2016
EVarn:
Their mathematics must be very easy,I have never heard of any committed student trying to read mathematics from a textbook,and yet hoping to understand it.It doesnt work that way.
not really, the 5 best students in that course were engineers, who never attended the class.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 8:32pm On Jan 03, 2016
Durentt:
den u wud av done pure math then
I'm an Engineer.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by elantraceey(f): 8:33pm On Jan 03, 2016
Electronzeez:

May I know the aspect of engineering you are majoring at and why you think it's a wasted five years .

Electrical /electronics engineering.

I'm in my finals and aside from being a little grounded in the theorical aspect when it comes to practical what I know are things I learnt during my industrial training.

In 100l we did science courses
200l all engineering courses
300l a mixture of Mech and eee courses.
400l just a semester of electrical and electronics courses
then in final year you just a semester to major in your main field whether electrical or electronics, now please tell me what one can possibly learn in 3 months alongside project.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 8:33pm On Jan 03, 2016
udeh3:

Ask your lecturers why they love lecturing engineering students than their own students. Back then in school, you see Mech eng and Elect/Elect Eng students blasting 90-98 in any mathematics courses except statistics where they gets 60-70.

Engineering students are sharper! I rep Electrical Engineering!
hahaha wen dey give 300lvl engineering students to solve 4x^2-5x-6=0 why wont u reach 90. Guy, engineering stds shud stop gragra and accept they are those better than them

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jan 03, 2016
DeeTus:
I'm an Engineer.
ok sir
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by emeritus00(m): 8:34pm On Jan 03, 2016
It is a known fact that engineering and mathematics go hand in hand. The basic language of engineering is mathematics. If you have the whole lots idea in grammar but failed to express it in mathematics then that is not engineering. It just a mere social science. Problems to be solved by engineers cut across all spheres of human life and nature and can require any forms of mathematical expression that why its imperative for engineers to be grounded in mathematics. Back to issue of engineers claimed to be mathematicians, I may disagree in some quarter but prove it that engineers are in many cases better that mathematicians so to say. I read engineering and took courses in Maths and Stat depts with them up to 300L. Students from engineering scored most of the highest marks in the courses took together be it in algebra, trig and calculus, vector and mechanics, abtract algebra, analysis, ode, numerical etc and some other courses in statistics. I had had opportunity to have discussions and tutorials together, I have respect for very few of them but the truth be told many are far behind. I was wondered why such... reasons being that many failed to secure admissions in their desired dept and end up in maths dept.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 8:36pm On Jan 03, 2016
Girltee1:
Almost the same thing.
You should come to my school. Engineering students take maths courses from 100-400level.
madam don't say wat u dont know? Hav you started and finish algebra in an engineering class and also started and finish d same algebra in a mathematics class??

Na there u go knw khaki no be leather
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by EVarn(m): 8:37pm On Jan 03, 2016
Walelavender:

Civil Engineering students unruly? Probably in your school or alma mater. All this abstract analysis doesn't hold water. The construction industry still offers indegeneous Civil Engineers the capacity to express their purpose. Please no basis for comparison. Engineering can't be compared with Mathematics. May be Med & Surg or Law...QED!
It seem to be a constant phenomenon in most Nigerian universities for civil engineering jorks to be very unruly and uncultured.Many of them go around campus making a public nuisance of themselves,prancing on desks and screaming at the top of their lungs when other people are trying to concentrate on lectures.It is only engineering lecture theatre in unilorin that has broken bulbs,ruined electric sockets,rusted ceiling fans and dismantled air-conditioners,the effect is worsened by thick networks of cobwebs,broken windows and a littered environment.It really doesnt speak well of them.
Anyway,Engineers dont do core mathemathics.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Girltee1(f): 8:37pm On Jan 03, 2016
Raplinx:
math is math, yes! Even if they do it, they'll only do the part that suits their application, they can never take it to the core like Mathematics students!! They wont even out do Physicist in Math.
Physicists also do the part that suits their application.undecided
Even if it's only the part that suits our application we do, the fact still remains that we do maths; especially Analysis and Abstract algebra!!
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by CuteEmma(f): 8:38pm On Jan 03, 2016
tanimola22:

I wanted to pass up this statement but decided to respond in order to enlighten the younger people who might be reading this.

Yes, your submission used to be very true at least 10 years ago, but things are changing. The number of people choosing to study Mathematics at undergraduate level has risen astronomically over the last 10 years. This partly is responsible for the increase in cut-off marks for gaining admissions into Maths. It's also responsible for the improved performances of Maths undergraduates nowadays as more and more intelligent people are choosing to study Mathematics as their first choice. Previously, it was 'they gave me Maths because I couldn't enter Engineering or Computer Science. Now, it's becoming ' I'm doing Maths because I chose it while filling my JAMB form. The result - a sharp increase in 1st class, 2:1 and 2:2 Maths graduates.

When I did Mathematics some years ago, nobody wanted me to do it because they thought the only option I had was to become a teacher. The thing is that the awareness of the relevance of Mathematics has grown in leaps and bounds over the years, and many people are making a more informed decision to study Maths because they, at least, have a clue of where it's likely to land them.

The notion of people reading Maths because they couldn't get into Engineering is fading, and we need to be aware of this. It is however not untrue that some people still accept Maths because they couldn't get into not only Engineering but also Computer Science.

If you genuinely have access to JAMB/Post-UME data, you'll agree that my somewhat contrarian opinion is plausible.
It's very easy to know the people who actually applied from those who were thrown into the department:

1. They've got no idea on why they are there
2. They try to compare their applied and given courses
3. They try to argue that the given course is better than applied course

Students who were actually given their courses do not compare, they already virtually everything they need to know about it, and they don't think that any other course is better than theirs because it has been their dream since kindergarten till the day they did their Jamb registration.

Yeap.. Only 13 chose it in Jamb (Uniben) last year but up to a hundred were admitted into that department.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by CuteEmma(f): 8:40pm On Jan 03, 2016
Durentt:
i dnt Want or need u to believe
See your life?? Ode
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 8:40pm On Jan 03, 2016
emeritus00:
It is a known fact that engineering and mathematics go hand in hand. The basic language of engineering is mathematics. If you have the whole lots idea in grammar but failed to express it in mathematics then that is not engineering. It just a mere social science. Problems to be solved by engineers cut across all spheres of human life and nature and can require any forms of mathematical expression that why its imperative for engineers to be grounded in mathematics. Back to issue of engineers claimed to be mathematicians, I may disagree in some quarter but prove it that engineers are in many cases better that mathematicians so to say. I read engineering and took courses in Maths and Stat depts with them up to 300L. Students from engineering scored most of the highest mark in the courses took together be in algebra, trig and calculus, vector and mechanics, abtract algebra, analysis, ode, numerical etc and some other courses in statistics. I had had opportunity to have discusses and tutorials together, I have respect for very few of them but the truth be told many are far behind. I was wondered why such... reasons being that many failed to secure admissions in their desired dept and end up in maths dept.
Hahahaha.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 8:41pm On Jan 03, 2016
Electronzeez:

I am graduate of electrical and I am practising , my years in the polytechnic has never been a waste . why don't you ask me what gave birth to my question .

There are some engineering courses one can take from our crappy universities and polytechnics that can never be a waste of time except you thought you would be spoon fed before being admitted .
by "practising" u mean going around changing bulbs nd sockets? grin bcuz dats wat i see most elect graduate doing
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by EVarn(m): 8:41pm On Jan 03, 2016
martineverest:
not really, the 5 best students in that course were engineers, who never attended the class.
What can I say?,they had personnal relationships with their lecturers.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by vislabraye(m): 8:41pm On Jan 03, 2016
Gbengem:
Give them question on analysis A̶̲̥̅̊₪d algebra to solve A̶̲̥̅̊₪d they will run away...

Exactly. Real Analysis, Compkex Analysis and Advance algebra are core maths courses.

I know engineering students who have this mindset too. Even physicists think same too. But that a story for another day. Mathematicians can also solve engineering problems as the apply in mechanics...
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by opeey(m): 8:43pm On Jan 03, 2016
Remii:
because most maths students got to read maths after failed attempts to gain admission to read engineering

U are true...

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (18) (Reply)

Ugandan University Sacks Nafiu Lukman Abiodun For Sexual Harassment / Humiliation Of A University Graduate On Graduation Day (Pictures) / Two Nigerian Universities Break Into Africa's Top 10

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.