Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,264 members, 7,829,530 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 08:33 AM

Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students - Education (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students (50232 Views)

12 Things That Happen During Every Maths Exam (when You Don’t Know Maths) / You Think You Know Maths ? Try This. / Mini-Bus Built By Engineering Students In Unizik....see Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by martineverest(m): 7:15pm On Jan 03, 2016
EVarn:
Uh oh....which university do you attend?,getting an A without attending classes sounds a bit far-fetched to me.
he must be a uniben graduate. Most engineering student don't attend mth 125 classes. They end up doing scooping 'As'.... They just buy the text book and combine with k.a Stroud.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Alfred234(m): 7:15pm On Jan 03, 2016
Electronzeez:

And why do you think maths student are not guilty of cramming ? . most of the fundamentsls of mathematics are not provable .

And the first principle is all lie from the graph to the equation . grin
Tbh some proving in maths don't make any sense you just have to cram them and I can't lie am very guilty of cramming because I know that once I get to 300lvl I'll choose Statistics as my major but for those they will choose math as their major they need to know those things because everything in math is just continuation of what you did in the previous level so if you don't know basic things you'll be doomed
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Atom57(m): 7:16pm On Jan 03, 2016
crispgg:
I studied electrical engineering. The individual who made that assertion doesn't know what he is talking about.

The lecturers who took us engineering mathematics made it clear that we were simply making use of what the mathematicians had done.

Most of us were relieved when we ended the engineering mathematics courses in 400 level. But note that some engineers are actually very strong in maths. My HOD then told us that he got his first PHD in mathematics before doing his electrical engineering PHD.

So it's an interwoven relationship. Not independent of each other. Even true computer scientists are mathematicians more or less.
So u r electrical?? nice meeting my people,NAEEES
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by ajebuter(f): 7:18pm On Jan 03, 2016
maestroferddi:
Sorry, I am engineer and sure I am better than you both in written and spoken English.

You had better stayed in your lane...

With B.A and M.A in English Language and Ph.D in view in the same course? (Pardon my 'modesty, lol)

You can try... grin grin
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by abbey621(m): 7:18pm On Jan 03, 2016
Descartes:

That's the truth but would you blame them?

That's why we must all develop as a whole, Nigeria is still young,my hope is by the time we get to be 100 years old, things would have improved greatly!
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Electronzeez(m): 7:19pm On Jan 03, 2016
iWise:

Using Z transforms as an example, a mathematician is not interested in how you apply this to the study of electrical signals, we are more concerned about the nature of their region of convergence etc etc. A concept I believe is alien to most Naija engineers.

Okay let's both get it clear . mathematician we all know can give you how one plus one becomes two, engineers on the other hand care much about not just seeing one plus one as two but how applicable this addition could effect its surroundings .

The reason why engineers don't dig in to mathematics from scracth like you do is apparently because we have got resistor , capacitors gears etc to research about .
I don't know where π ÷×√ came from the same way you don't know how resistors capacitors and diode are machined to give you that phone you are using to claim dominance .

Thank you
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by fetrillion(m): 7:19pm On Jan 03, 2016
Mathematics Is abstract, statistics is practical and applicable to life situation.. we collect data, analyse d data, interpret d data n dish out a conclusive result based on d analyzed data.. I wud rather be a statistician Dan be a mathematician..
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 7:19pm On Jan 03, 2016
ajebuter:

Dude, why now? It is a known fact that scientists, mathematicians and engineers speak the language of calculation and 'gbagaun' in grammar.

Start watching tongue grin
u hav no proof grin stop d generalisation.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 7:20pm On Jan 03, 2016
leofab:
engineers are mathematicians but mathematicians ain't engineers..
trash..
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 7:20pm On Jan 03, 2016
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 7:21pm On Jan 03, 2016
piazon:

All Engineers are mathematicians but not all Mathematicians are Engineers.
Another trash..
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by martineverest(m): 7:22pm On Jan 03, 2016
ozohtony:
Maths did not end in calculus. Have u heard of differential equation ll? In fact, I c any engineering student under this category as "maluuu" for u to think u r d boss in maths. Even we computer science graduates r paying them their due regards talk less of u.... Am sure we will beat u guys in that aspect.
I taught my computer science friends Fibonacci series. Calculus is just a elementary to engineers
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by CuteEmma(f): 7:23pm On Jan 03, 2016
Durentt:
Lol i cant seem to wrap dis idea how Engineering students think or act lik they do/know mathematics aspect more dan those who spend all their freaking lecture hours solving grin am Pure Mathematics student nd an engineering student came to me today saying "am wastin my time doin pure maths that dey (engineering) are equal to mathematicians plus dey hav added engineering knowledge. grin I was lik wtf, suite urself, i kno why i chose mathematics over engineering during JAMB. Am not a foool.
Engineering students brag to be all rounder but i refuse to accept an engineer can replace a mathematican except in a useless country lik nigeria angry
You didn't chose Mathematics in Jamb, from statistics. Math was prolly your second choice course in Putme. Okpari
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 7:23pm On Jan 03, 2016
fetrillion:
Mathematics Is abstract, statistics is practical and applicable to life situation.. we collect data, analyse d data, interpret d data n dish out a conclusive result based on d analyzed data.. I wud rather be a statistician Dan be a mathematician..
bt dey hav institutions where Math&Stat are done as one right?
Talkin about catching two birds with one stone
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Descartes: 7:24pm On Jan 03, 2016
abbey621:

That's why we must all develop as a whole, Nigeria is still young, my hope is by the time we get to be 100 years old, things would have improved greatly!

Naija@55 too young; are you a stand up comedian? tongue

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Niceman4u(m): 7:25pm On Jan 03, 2016
Am a graduate of both Physics and Engineering, graduated in both disciplines @ different times. D truth is mathematicans are d 'owners' of maths. The engineer uses d aspect of maths dat he needs.
Physcists are even supposed to better in maths than engineers

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 7:25pm On Jan 03, 2016
CuteEmma:
You didn't chose Mathematics in Jamb, from statistics. Math was prolly your second choice course in Putme. Okpari
see me see wahala nii undecided where u there wen i filled my jamb form? Pls face front
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by ajebuter(f): 7:25pm On Jan 03, 2016
Durentt:
u hav no proof grin stop d generalisation.

I have no proof?
How about Mr sadiku, my Maths and physics teacher in 1988?
My chemistry teacher 'Baba molecule'?
My Technical drawing teacher Mr.angle-head?
Chai. I'm laughing so hard remembering those teachers and their 'ibon' as we refered to 'gbagaun' then.
Two of them graduated as engineers, excellent Mathematicians and ' onibon' in grammar grin
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by abbey621(m): 7:26pm On Jan 03, 2016
Descartes:

Are you a stand up comedian? tongue

Not a comedian just a realist! Nigeria is less than 60 years old compare it to when the USA or France or Italy was 60 years old and you would see how far those countries have come!
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by CuteEmma(f): 7:27pm On Jan 03, 2016
Durentt:
calculus my ass. All d 200lvl elect engr students i know are dealing with indices nd logarithm in their borrowed courses. MEC ENGR. Doin Vectors nd d rest. And dey be feeling fly
Algebra and Calculus are first year courses
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 7:30pm On Jan 03, 2016
martinsmartest:
With all ur algebra and analysis, how many stuff have u guys made with it
u jst pack abstract in ur head with no hope of converting it to a reasonably useful thing
and u re happy abt it
smh to u guys

Also ask them why engineering is a professional course n maths its a minor course. Those Pple r just too funny. Gv them questions from engineering analysis to solve which is also calculation ,they can't do it. Am a proud engineer
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by maestroferddi: 7:30pm On Jan 03, 2016
ajebuter:

With B.A and M.A in English Language and Ph.D in view in the same course? (Pardon my 'modesty, lol)

You can try... grin grin
Madam, it is not about accumulating a coterie of self-serving degrees.

To borrow your refrain: Pardon my modesty, I am a wordsmith.

We can cross swords, if you don't mind...
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 7:31pm On Jan 03, 2016
CuteEmma:
Algebra and Calculus are first year courses
well my ex polytechnic taught all engineering indices and logarithm and a few others from first year till graduation. grin
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 7:31pm On Jan 03, 2016
ajebuter:

I have no proof?
How about Mr sadiku, my Maths and physics teacher in 1988?
My chemistry teacher 'Baba molecule'?
My Technical drawing teacher Mr.angle-head?
Chai. I'm laughing so hard remembering those teachers and their 'ibon' as we refered to 'gbagaun' then.
Two of them graduated as engineers, excellent Mathematicians and ' onibon' in grammar grin
suite urself grin
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by jidez007: 7:34pm On Jan 03, 2016
I would agree that All Engineers are mathematicians but not all Mathematicians are Engineers.

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Chrisx1x(m): 7:36pm On Jan 03, 2016
Electronzeez:

Okay let's both get it clear . mathematician we all know can give you how one plus one becomes two, engineers on the other hand care much about not just seeing one plus one as two but how applicable this addition could effect its surroundings .

The reason why engineers don't dig in to mathematics from scracth like you do is apparently because we have got resistor , capacitors gears etc to research about .
I don't know where π ÷×√ came from the same way you don't know how resistors capacitors and diode are machined to give you that phone you are using to claim dominance .

Thank you
application indeed.abeg park well jor.engineers in Nigeria only knows about principles.u guys should wake up and stop this deceit.u also spend years studying abstract ideas.a prof of mec engineering who cant repair his car is not fit to be called an engineer.period

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by ajebuter(f): 7:37pm On Jan 03, 2016
maestroferddi:
Madam, it is not about accumulating a coterie of self-serving degrees.

To borrow your refrain: Pardon my modesty, I am a wordsmith.

We can cross swords, if you don't mind...

Spar with words over something as minute and mundane as Engineers and their propensity to 'gbagaun'?

Not my forte. grin
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by iWise(m): 7:37pm On Jan 03, 2016
Electronzeez:

Thank you

At least, you are honest. i'll give you that. I dare say you need to expend a lot more brain power to study maths especially in the advanced levels. The reason is not far from the fact a lot of what you do as a mathematician is conceptual. Mind you, i ain't talking about the crap they teach in undergrad classes.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 7:39pm On Jan 03, 2016
Chrisx1x:
application indeed.abeg park well jor.engineers in Nigeria only knows about principles.u guys should wake up and stop this deceit.u also spend years studying abstract ideas.a prof of mec engineering who cant repair his car is not fit to be called an engineer.period
SECONDED grin (1 million likes) dis is what we call FACT
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Walelavender(m): 7:39pm On Jan 03, 2016
EVarn:
Mathematicians are field individuals,they have a place in every institution ranging from the multinational oil companies to the automechanic clinics.The only problem is that they get stiff competition from the statistics guys,who tend to be more favored,especially in Nigeria.
Engineering,business administration and accounting are very crowded fields,though I particularly dislike civil engineering guys,perhaps due to their unruly attitude on campus.However,statistics seem to be the reigning field now,I would say that statistics is the huber hottest cake in town,its too hot for a cold shower!.lol.
Civil Engineering students unruly? Probably in your school or alma mater. All this abstract analysis doesn't hold water. The construction industry still offers indegeneous Civil Engineers the capacity to express their purpose. Please no basis for comparison. Engineering can't be compared with Mathematics. May be Med & Surg or Law...QED!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by iWise(m): 7:40pm On Jan 03, 2016
fetrillion:

Dude, not all statistics is practical. Have you heard about advanced probability theory? What you apply in this branch of Statistics is mostly concepts from Measure theory and Functional Analysis.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) ... (18) (Reply)

Police Brutalize Prof. Sunday Edeko Of Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma / Ugandan University Sacks Nafiu Lukman Abiodun For Sexual Harassment / Two Nigerian Universities Break Into Africa's Top 10

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.