Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,282 members, 7,829,634 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:53 AM

Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students (50236 Views)

12 Things That Happen During Every Maths Exam (when You Don’t Know Maths) / You Think You Know Maths ? Try This. / Mini-Bus Built By Engineering Students In Unizik....see Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Alfred234(m): 7:40pm On Jan 03, 2016
catalanscrew:
In Engineering we do mathematics up to 400L. We call it Engineering Mathematics EG201, 202,301, 302, 401 and almost all Engineering courses are full of calculations, integration, Matrix, Differentiation, permutations and combination, Bearing and distance, Trigonometry etc. Most of the Nigerian universities Mathematics as a course end in 400L except Federal University of Technology that are up to 500L.
Represent. FUT-YOLA and FUT-MINNA
I did all this topics in 100lvl
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 7:41pm On Jan 03, 2016
jidez007:
I would agree that All Engineers are mathematicians but not all Mathematicians are Engineers.
guy stop deceiving urself. All engineers hav some knowledge of maths but not enough to mak dm mathematicians. Abi mathematician na to roast corn?
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Electronzeez(m): 7:42pm On Jan 03, 2016
Chrisx1x:
application indeed.abeg park well jor.engineers in Nigeria only knows about principles.u guys should wake up and stop this deceit.u also spend years studying abstract ideas.a prof of mec engineering who cant repair his car is not fit to be called an engineer.period

Can you deem it fit to tell us any special invention by you in your course of study , if mathematics tell us the new things you discovered studying maths .if you can not please sit at the back when we are done you can come and wipe off the board .
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by mathefaro(m): 7:44pm On Jan 03, 2016
sholikay:
check the workings very well,its just a case of expanding and dividing like terms..
so you're assuming 0/0 is just 1 all in the sake of dividing like terms? SMH!

I just don't understand why this argument must hold. Must there always be a superior?
May God help us in this country o

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by maestroferddi: 7:44pm On Jan 03, 2016
ajebuter:

Spar with words over something as minute and mundane as Engineers and their propensity to 'gbagaun'?

Not my forte. grin
You can see why I suspected that you just came to blow hot air.

We are yet to fire the first salvo and yet you, the degree merchant has already made at least a grammatical error.

Your previous comment is replete with basic errors of syntax...

I told you.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by iWise(m): 7:44pm On Jan 03, 2016
CuteEmma:
Algebra and Calculus are first year courses

I wish you know what algebra entails, you prolly wont spew this trash. grin
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by iWise(m): 7:46pm On Jan 03, 2016
martineverest:
I taught my computer science friends Fibonacci series. Calculus is just a elementary to engineers

My brother, you don't know shit about calculus.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by mathefaro(m): 7:48pm On Jan 03, 2016
lexiconkabir:
bro, only a mathematician can tell you that what is in that pics is woefully wrong, i can also prove it to be 3,4,5,6,... using another dubious method, ever heard of anything called infinite solution? an infinite solution is an arbitrary number in the real axis, so 2,3,4,5,6,7 and so on are solutions to 0/0, what the person did was to find that of 2, also 3,4,5,... can be found too, dont be deceived! durrent did you fall for this?
Thumbs up
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by elantraceey(f): 7:49pm On Jan 03, 2016
Durentt:
calculus my ass. All d 200lvl elect engr students i know are dealing with indices nd logarithm in their borrowed courses. MEC ENGR. Doin Vectors nd d rest. And dey be feeling fly

Indices and logarithm ? please which university ? I agree we don't do as much 'pure mathematics' we do advanced mathematics. Though I wish I applied for mathematics instead of engineering because reading engineering in Nigeria is almost like wasting five years of as you only learn little that you can't even stand in the society and boast you're an engineer without using your certificate to back you up except you step out and learn things yourself
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Electronzeez(m): 7:50pm On Jan 03, 2016
iWise:

At least, you are honest. i'll give you that. I dare say you need to expend a lot more brain power to study maths especially in the advanced levels. The reason is not far from the fact a lot of what you do as a mathematician is conceptual. Mind you, i ain't talking about the crap they teach in undergrad classes.

In the same class of reasoning I dare tell you that engineering is not as physical as you see it . take for example analysing electromagnetic wave in free space is crazy but fact oriented .

I have a elder brother that studied mathematics and I can tell you I am no match with him when it comes to maths but I can tell you I will solve many of the maths he can give solution to.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Raplinx(m): 7:53pm On Jan 03, 2016
Durentt:
Lol i cant seem to wrap dis idea how Engineering students think or act lik they do/know mathematics aspect more dan those who spend all their freaking lecture hours solving grin am Pure Mathematics student nd an engineering student came to me today saying "am wastin my time doin pure maths that dey (engineering) are equal to mathematicians plus dey hav added engineering knowledge. grin I was lik wtf, suite urself, i kno why i chose mathematics over engineering during JAMB. Am not a foool.
Engineering students brag to be all rounder but i refuse to accept an engineer can replace a mathematican except in a useless country lik nigeria angry
i'm a physics student, even physicists encounter more of math problems than the engineering students, its easier for a physics to student to be noted as a mathem@tici@n than an engineering student! cos physics is all about math!
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jan 03, 2016
Remii:
because most maths students got to read maths after failed attempts to gain admission to read engineering
This response is xo epic....
Buh then if I could go back I think I'll want to study maths or physics
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Walelavender(m): 7:55pm On Jan 03, 2016
Chrisx1x:
application indeed.abeg park well jor.engineers in Nigeria only knows about principles.u guys should wake up and stop this deceit.u also spend years studying abstract ideas.a prof of mec engineering who cant repair his car is not fit to be called an engineer.period
In a nutshell we don't have practicing Engineers yet we have regulatory bodies like NSE and COREN? That's laughable. Common,I practice as a Civil Engineer and can structurally design and construct your desired structure, which other many Engineers out there could do. Stop looking down on the industry. Degree ain't enough brother! It's a professional field. Expand your horizon!
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 7:56pm On Jan 03, 2016
elantraceey:

Indices and logarithm ? please which university ? I agree we don't do as much 'pure mathematics' we do advanced mathematics. Though I wish I applied for mathematics instead of engineering because reading engineering in Nigeria is almost like wasting five years of as you only learn little that you can't even stand in the society and boast you're an engineer without using your certificate to back you up except you step out and learn things yourself
its a polytechnic Actually
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by ajebuter(f): 7:57pm On Jan 03, 2016
maestroferddi:
You can see why I suspected that you just came to blow hot air.

We are yet to fire the first salvo and yet you, the degree merchant has already made at least a grammatical error.

Your previous comment is replete with basic errors of syntax...

I told you.

I just love this dude! You just made my day.

I havent laughed this hard in two decades.

Thumb up aburo! But, i refuse to be dragged into online verbal sparring with you, afterall, i stand to gain no millions from this childish and i-must-triumph-in-this-argument nature of yours.

And any syntatic error(s) is/are in your imagination. Enjoy your diatribe
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Electronzeez(m): 7:57pm On Jan 03, 2016
elantraceey:

May I know the aspect of engineering you are majoring at and why you think it's a wasted five years .
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by CuteEmma(f): 7:58pm On Jan 03, 2016
iWise:

I wish you know what algebra entails, you prolly wont spew this trash. grin
Do I blame you?? When you don't have respect for elders, why won't you tell me that I churn out thrash.. Ode
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by iWise(m): 8:00pm On Jan 03, 2016
Electronzeez:

In the same class of reasoning I dare tell you that engineering is not as physical as you see it . take for example analysing electromagnetic wave in free space is crazy but fact oriented .

I have a elder brother that studied mathematics and I can tell you I am no match with him when it comes to maths but I can tell you I will solve many of the maths he can give solution to.

My good friend, you just displayed a weakness inherent in math capabilities of a lot of engineers. Maths ain't about solving problems, its all about understanding concepts involving numbers, space AND quantities. A mathematician's prerogative is not about how to utilize these concept. We are more concerned about their existence, structure and implications.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by ArtistA: 8:00pm On Jan 03, 2016
Very funny comments. How can an engineer claim to be versed in every aspect of mathematics than mathematicians? I doubt a mathematician can even lay claim to such as its a very big field. As a chemical engineer, I can't even say such about chemical engineering. What some fail to realize is that knowledge is complimentary and without application, it's almost irrelevant.

You don't expect me to have in depth knowledge of game theory as it doesn't help further my cause at the moment. So, mathematics for me has only been for application in my field of interest. How can you develop models for processes, design reactors, understand fluid dynamics, design controllers for process control or optimize processes without having a sound mathematics background for intelligent problem translation and solution? The complexity of some real life problems even requires you to start learning how to code all those mathematics cheesy because not everybody out there can understand your problem better than you. In the course of tasks, I even had to take applied statistics courses (multivariate data analysis, design of experiments, regression modelling and prediction, etc).

I think the ability to apply scientific knowledge (chemistry, biology, maths, physics ...) in various aspect of modern life will continue to stand out for engineers

Reading through, I realized most people don't know why that are in school in the first place.
PS: I think I'm good in areas of mathematics that concerns me cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 8:06pm On Jan 03, 2016
We are Engineers!!! Ahuuu!!!
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by yemjazz: 8:08pm On Jan 03, 2016
Mathematics is just one out of many tools that we use in engineering.

Engineering involves in depth understanding and correct application of mathematics to solve real life problems.

You can not apply/ use something if you dont have absolute knowledge about it.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Electronzeez(m): 8:08pm On Jan 03, 2016
iWise:

My good friend, you just displayed a weakness inherent in math capabilities of a lot of engineers. Maths ain't about solving problems, its all about understanding concepts involving numbers, space AND quantities. A mathematician's prerogative is not about how to utilize these concept. We are more concerned about their existence, structure and implications.

I was expecting you would be favored with my admittance cool.

It's a nice time bro.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Girltee1(f): 8:09pm On Jan 03, 2016
Gbengem:
Give them question on analysis A̶̲̥̅̊₪d algebra to solve A̶̲̥̅̊₪d they will run away...
Forget that side, bro.shocked
200level engineering students also offer Analysis and abstract algebra.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by CuteEmma(f): 8:09pm On Jan 03, 2016
Durentt:
see me see wahala nii undecided where u there wen i filled my jamb form? Pls face front
Shut up and admit.. When students don't get their desired courses, they'd start arguing that what they were given was even better off than their originally desired courses..

You're only trying to console yourself that your friends who got their desired courses are not better than you.. Students do it every year, it's no new thing..
So what I tell you, you take it from me.. Capisce?
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 8:09pm On Jan 03, 2016
Raplinx:

i'm a physics student, even physicists encounter more of math problems than the engineering students, its easier for a physics to student to be noted as a mathem@tici@n than an engineering student! cos physics is all about math!
i agree. We are brothers grin
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Girltee1(f): 8:10pm On Jan 03, 2016
Gbengem:
Give them question on analysis A̶̲̥̅̊₪d algebra to solve A̶̲̥̅̊₪d they will run away...

200level engineering students also offer Analysis and abstract algebra.cool
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 8:12pm On Jan 03, 2016
CuteEmma:
Shut up and admit.. When students don't get their desired courses, they'd start arguing that what they were given was even better off than their originally desired courses..

You're only trying to console yourself that your friends who got their desired courses are not better than you.. Students do it every year, it's no new thing..
So what I tell you, you take it from me.. Capisce?
i see ur brain is faulty, i tak nothing frm ur ma'am. Take ur words nd shove them bak into ur thick skull.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 8:14pm On Jan 03, 2016
Girltee1:
200level engineering students also offer Analysis and abstract algebra.
madam even if they offer it, doesn't mean wat dey do is on the same level with maths students
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Lifeangel(m): 8:15pm On Jan 03, 2016
It's not mathematics or engineering courses that make you stand-out in life but divine favour.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Nobody: 8:16pm On Jan 03, 2016
yemjazz:
Mathematics is just one out of many tools that we use in engineering.

Engineering involves in depth understanding and correct application of mathematics to solve real life problems.

You can not apply/ use something if you dont have absolute knowledge about it.
mathematics is not a tool pls. Its a field of study.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by Raplinx(m): 8:17pm On Jan 03, 2016
tanimola22:

I wanted to pass up this statement but decided to respond in order to enlighten the younger people who might be reading this.

Yes, your submission used to be very true at least 10 years ago, but things are changing. The number of people choosing to study Mathematics at undergraduate level has risen astronomically over the last 10 years. This partly is responsible for the increase in cut-off marks for gaining admissions into Maths. It's also responsible for the improved performances of Maths undergraduates nowadays as more and more intelligent people are choosing to study Mathematics as their first choice. Previously, it was 'they gave me Maths because I couldn't enter Engineering or Computer Science. Now, it's becoming ' I'm doing Maths because I chose it while filling my JAMB form. The result - a sharp increase in 1st class, 2:1 and 2:2 Maths graduates.

When I did Mathematics some years ago, nobody wanted me to do it because they thought the only option I had was to become a teacher. The thing is that the awareness of the relevance of Mathematics has grown in leaps and bounds over the years, and many people are making a more informed decision to study Maths because they, at least, have a clue of where it's likely to land them.

The notion of people reading Maths because they couldn't get into Engineering is fading, and we need to be aware of this. It is however not untrue that some people still accept Maths because they couldn't get into not only Engineering but also Computer Science.

If you genuinely have access to JAMB/Post-UME data, you'll agree that my somewhat contrarian opinion is plausible.
as a mathematician, how do u se
e physicists as?? And pls can h@ve ur phone number pls, there's something i wana to discuss with u.
Re: Why Do Engineering Students Brag To Know Maths More Dan Mathematics Students by CuteEmma(f): 8:18pm On Jan 03, 2016
Durentt:
i see ur brain is faulty, i tak nothing frm ur ma'am. Take ur words nd shove them bak into ur thick skull.
Upload your jamb result to prove me wrong.. Simple
#seeing_is_believing

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) ... (18) (Reply)

Police Brutalize Prof. Sunday Edeko Of Ambrose Alli University, Ekpoma / Ugandan University Sacks Nafiu Lukman Abiodun For Sexual Harassment / Humiliation Of A University Graduate On Graduation Day (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.