Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,454 members, 7,826,740 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 07:26 PM

Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) - Politics (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) (72531 Views)

Yemi Osinbajo Visits Abuja Market (Photos) / Lagos Demolishes 84 Gated Streets / Bunker, Arms Discovered At Demolished Oshodi Market Shops (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) by Hafter1: 8:22am On Jan 07, 2016
T.A Orji demolish market, then he is hardworking. Obiano demolish market then he is the best thing after slice bread but Ambode demolish market then its genocide against Eboes. WTG is wrong with these emotional bigots. Na waoo

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) by BABANGBALI: 8:24am On Jan 07, 2016
Pavore9:
I doubt the claim that they were not given notice!
i was the one that served the notice to them 3 different times before we finally rolled out the bulldozer
amerengues:
This is obviously a sad one. For those who find delight in other people' misfortune, RIDE on. Though they might have been notified of the consequencies, but u will agree with me that if you have anyone in this misfortune as some close to u, u will feel for them.
Secondly, the issue of tribalism doesn't come in here. They must have been warned but what detest about this ugly saga is the millions of investment vandalized in the process of change.
Would u be happy if it were you? Coming back from home in a new year.
I understand that this "Change" must be at the expense of somethings. However, their Investment should have been save.
GODBLESSNAIJA
what did they do when they were served notice by the state government?
blaqoracle:
shey una say Lagos na no man's land?
The true owners of Lagos don come out.
yes ooooooooo,we have tooked what rightfully belongs to us grin grin tongue

2 Likes

Re: Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) by egutexas(m): 8:29am On Jan 07, 2016
unstableaswater:
Very welcomed development, Ambode is working.

He must demolish all the other markets, he must not stop until the last market is demolished.

If Ambode ever stop demolishing markets, then they will bury him in the market that day.

We have told them to set up business in the East and leave Lagos.

Ambode make all of them return home. U HAVE MY SUPPORT, DEMOLISH ALL THE MARKETS.u will forever remain foolish

Re: Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) by Nobody: 8:40am On Jan 07, 2016
xtrorp:
“Karma comes after everyone eventually. You can't get away with screwing people over your whole life, I don't care who you are. What goes around comes around. That's how it works. Sooner or later the universe will serve you the revenge that you deserve.” - Jessica Brody

In Lagos under 'One Nigeria' there seem to exist a silent economic war of destruction of livelihood, burning of markets in the middle of the night, extortion and harassment of genuine businesses by official area boys and street urchins, illegal/multiple taxing of business owners, in markets where Igbos operate e.g. Tejuoso, Alaba International and Ladipo. And now Oshodi electrical & electronic market.

Many of these attracious deeds are conducted at odd times when the traders won't be available to resist the dastardly acts.

Over the decades in the South-West, the Yorubas have systematically burnt Igbo shops as a guise to hijacking the markets from Igbos.

https://www.nairaland.com/2618835/hoodlums-shut-down-alaba-international

Prior to the 2015 general elections, amidst the threat by the lagoon crooner to drown Igbos, 18 Chisco transport buses were criminally burnt down in Lagos and up till date nothing was done to bring the culprits to book.

What does 'One Nigeria' mean?
A deceit where you are empowered to share my crude oil and wealth as 'One Nigeria' while I am considered a migrant to your State whom you're just merely accommodating and may perish in the lagoon at your command.

It is a chaotic situation where the Oba of a place would invite the representative of a people for discussion in his palace as regards a market leadership dispute only to set an ambush for him and unleash hundreds of thugs to flog and disgrace him.

It is an unjust situation where you're licensed to use foul means to destroy my business in your State with outrageous taxes. You can close my business premises at will while your elites continue to shout 'One Nigeria' to cover up the evils and injustices prevalent in the land. And you still expect me to be docile and continue to suffer silently as your hate and envy for my progress soar high.

Now, do you have any case for unity - fake or imaginary?

If you have there would be no need fooling and playing to the gallery and shouting 'One Nigeria'. Or have you ever heard 'One Great Britain', 'One United States of America', 'One Germany'?
That shows that something is fundamentally wrong which many have been shying away from.

Is it a crime for any person/group to choose to opt out of a relationship?

Strange bedfellows, with irreconcilable value systems that are at best suitable for the individual selves, are not meant to be together! The 102 years of existence attest to that verdict!

Victor Hugo once said "no army can stop an idea whose time has come" and that "one can resist the invasion of armies but not the invasion of ideas". 

1000000LIKES
This is actually the reason GOD will continually keep SW backward, God will fight the battle of the OPPRESSED
Re: Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) by Nobody: 8:42am On Jan 07, 2016
HIPROFILE:

I look into the eyes of most Yoruba people like you and I see flaming hatred for the igbos it's unfortunate but one thing is sure my brother.... if u like destroy all the market in Lagos where d igbos operate their businesses U can't stop their progress. they're destined to be successful. if the civil war did not stop them from spreading abroad progressively and compete gallantly in all ramifications then I dant think destroying their business will stop them.
you have from time immemorial seen the igbos as traits nat because they are harmful but because you sure know you lack whatever it takes to compete with them.
it's been proven that over decades now your people suffer IGBOPHOBIA. Self inflicted envy and hatred for the igbos but one funny thing is... the igbos knows this but they no dey look your face... they keep soaring amidst your hostility. if they leave Lagos for you, u will never flourish because you are lazy, envious, backbite and arrogant. how would they even look your face when they know you even unleash these same evil habits upon your fellows how much more one from another tribe. These are success limiting factors and they are inherent in you, we all know that.

These are jast for your hate speech.

Well as for the market I sure know and believe Lagos state must have issued several communique to the effect of their relocation because I learnt a new market was built but negligence and nonchalance I believe ruled over them probably they were considering the effects of relocating to the new place. but then this time of the year is really a bad time to do this. my heart goes out to those who must have lost their life investments to this. it's nat easy but jast know that you are igbo WE NEVER SAY DIE WE MULTIPLY.

IF SOUTH AFRICA COULD NAT STOP THE IGBOS................

Re: Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) by xtrorp: 8:47am On Jan 07, 2016
Lifestone:
Despite all the issues you've raised above, Igbo race has prospered more outside their Land than they do in igbo states. The point here should not be seen as targeting Igbo markets, it's about we Nigerians obeying lawful directive. its a confirmed fact that notices were issued. The smart thing to do here was to have approach a court of competent jurisdiction to protect your rights, since this wasn't done you expose yourself to damages as it is in this present case.
Stop playing the victim.

It has been your grand plan to ensure your callous, lopsided citing of federal infrastructures and investments in the SE.

For over 45 years the plan by the government to rehabilitate and reconstruct the Eastern region via Gowon’s 3Rs was diverted to Lagos, Abuja nd other regions for deliberate and obvious reasons.

But that has not made you lots fare any better than the Igbos despite your numerous, unbridled treasury looting of the commonwealth. The Igbos pride themselves as having the highest concentration of middle-class citizens while squalor and penury pervade your enclaves.

You can continue hiding your head in the sand of hypocrisy and mischievousness to your shame.

1 Like

Re: Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) by Nobody: 8:55am On Jan 07, 2016
omonnakoda:
But too many Eboes Migrate to other peoples places what is wrong with Eboeland

Are there not Yorubas in other Regions, there are Yorubas driving taxi in my state, Are IGBOS not Nigerians, we will never leave your land until we get what we want (IPOB), we will continue reaping from SW/Lagos economy and there is nothing agbaya like you can do about it, Let the shops be demolished but the truth is that its the Yoruba shop owners that will suffer the more, A Business IGBO can do his Business anywhere even under a TREE and still make it. Giving IGBOs 20 pounds have not stop them excelling will it be a mere shop undecided undecided,...abeg go find amala a ti Ewedu chop we pass Una big time

1 Like

Re: Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) by cheruv: 8:56am On Jan 07, 2016
xtrorp:
“Karma comes after everyone eventually. You can't get away with screwing people over your whole life, I don't care who you are. What goes around comes around. That's how it works. Sooner or later the universe will serve you the revenge that you deserve.” - Jessica Brody

In Lagos under 'One Nigeria' there seem to exist a silent economic war of destruction of livelihood, burning of markets in the middle of the night, extortion and harassment of genuine businesses by official area boys and street urchins, illegal/multiple taxing of business owners, in markets where Igbos operate e.g. Tejuoso, Alaba International and Ladipo. And now Oshodi electrical & electronic market.

Many of these attracious deeds are conducted at odd times when the traders won't be available to resist the dastardly acts.

Over the decades in the South-West, the Yorubas have systematically burnt Igbo shops as a guise to hijacking the markets from Igbos.

Prior to the 2015 general elections, amidst the threat by the lagoon crooner to drown Igbos, 18 Chisco transport buses were criminally burnt down in Lagos and up till date nothing was done to bring the culprits to book.

A deceit where you are empowered to share my crude oil and wealth as 'One Nigeria' while I am considered a migrant to your State whom you're just merely accommodating and may perish in the lagoon at your command.

It is a chaotic situation where the Oba of a place would invite the representative of a people for discussion in his palace as regards a market leadership dispute only to set an ambush for him and unleash hundreds of thugs to flog and disgrace him.

It is an unjust situation where you're licensed to use foul means to destroy my business in your State with outrageous taxes. You can close my business premises at will while your elites continue to shout 'One Nigeria' to cover up the evils and injustices prevalent in the land. And you still expect me to be docile and continue to suffer silently as your hate and envy for my progress soar high.

If you have there would be no need fooling and playing to the gallery and shouting 'One Nigeria'. Or have you ever heard 'One Great Britain', 'One United States of America', 'One Germany'?
That shows that something is fundamentally wrong which many have been shying away from.

Strange bedfellows, with irreconcilable value systems that are at best suitable for the individual selves, are not meant to be together! The 102 years of existence attest to that verdict!

Victor Hugo once said "no army can stop an idea whose time has come" and that "one can resist the invasion of armies but not the invasion of ideas". 
Make sure you preach this Gospel everywhere
Re: Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) by Eledan: 8:59am On Jan 07, 2016
GreatSE:

[s]Are there not Yorubas in other Regions, there are Yorubas driving taxi in my state, Are IGBOS not Nigerians, we will never leave your land until we get what we want (IPOB), we will continue reaping from SW/Lagos economy and there is nothing agbaya like you can do about it, Let the shops be demolished but the truth is that its the Yoruba shop owners that will suffer the more, A Business IGBO can do his Business anywhere even under a TREE and still make it. Giving IGBOs 20 pounds have not stop them excelling will it be a mere shop undecided undecided,...abeg go find amala a ti Ewedu chop we pass Una big time[/s]
Stop beating your rusted chest.

1 Like

Re: Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) by tauraro22: 9:02am On Jan 07, 2016
Very quite unfortunate. Observe the comments on this thread by Yoruba folks. This shows that an average Yoruba man or woman is heartless and wicked.

Just thinking out loud.

1 Like

Re: Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) by jide333(m): 9:03am On Jan 07, 2016
OLORIBURUKU oshi!

unstableaswater:
Very welcomed development, Ambode is working.

He must demolish all the other markets, he must not stop until the last market is demolished.

If Ambode ever stop demolishing markets, then they will bury him in the market that day.

We have told them to set up business in the East and leave Lagos.

Ambode make all of them return home. U HAVE MY SUPPORT, DEMOLISH ALL THE MARKETS.

Re: Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) by Nobody: 9:05am On Jan 07, 2016
Hafter1:
T.A Orji demolish market, then he is hardworking. Obiano demolish market then he is the best thing after slice bread but Ambode demolish market then its genocide against Eboes. WTG is wrong with these emotional bigots. Na waoo

Shut up, did he make provision for alternative,....all Lagos Gov has been doing is chasing Igbos to go develop their undeveloped locations and chase them away after, is it only the Electronic shops in Oshodi that require demolition, what of the Area were Yorubas sell Agbo and where your area boys sell weed because thats the only business they can do

1 Like

Re: Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) by Crownvillar: 9:09am On Jan 07, 2016
obailala:
Why is it always the same old story all the time?... The government claims they issued eviction notices, the traders claim they never saw any notice and then the government comes in the middle of the night to demolish. This trend is too common in Nigeria but who is really to blame undecided

You have highlighted a very important observation which is valid. In this particular case and others, it is difficult to identify the party to blame. However, if the government did issue eviction notices, they should have gone a step further by publicizing this on the state radio, TV and any other means of communication via the State Ministry of Information.

For example, in Jan 2016, you decide that a market has to go. Go to the market and issue quit notice for say, the 6th June 2016. Carry along all traders and market leaders reminding them of the deadline. Publish this in the Newspapers and run regular reminders on the State TV and via radio jingles. On the June 6th, visit market again to remind them deadline has expired and demolition can start at any time. 7th to 9th June increase media campaign to remind anybody still trading there, that they do so at their own risk, as the deadline has expired. On the 10th June move in with bulldozers.

Of course, all of the above should be underpinned with a concrete plan beforehand for an alternative site where trading can be relocated to.

1 Like

Re: Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) by Hafter1: 9:11am On Jan 07, 2016
[s]
GreatSE:

Shut up, did he make provision for alternative,....all Lagos Gov has been doing is chasing Igbos to go develop their undeveloped locations and chase them away after, is it only the Electronic shops in Oshodi that require demolition, what of the Area were Yorubas sell Agbo and where your area boys sell weed because thats the only business they can do
[/s]

Typical cocaine smuggler, they make noise and resort to insult just to pass a message. You are naturally daft, cos they have been given notice since last November but they just to decide to be stubborn. Are Eboes the only one selling stuff there? You want the government to provide alternative to an illegal place which is not even supposed to be a market.

Tell them to sue the government instead of coming online to insult your parent.

2 Likes

Re: Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) by baysol: 9:18am On Jan 07, 2016
xtrorp:

This will make the move to biafra very fast. we simply don't want or need igbos among us civilised people go back to the east with your yamayama businesses.

Re: Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) by cheruv: 9:19am On Jan 07, 2016
NakedEve:

Ur wrong..
If they all go home then they will become richer.
They will now HV more man power to produce more things n will export them to foreign lands.
Your hate will eventually turn more Igbos into super billionaires.
Don't u know it is exactly what happened during boko haram menace?
They went back home from the North n had more man power n now they r producing even cars n rice.
What u shd be thinking of now is how to keep them from going back home so that they will not become an economic giant n over ride us all.

U know they r capable of overshadowing us all.
We must retain them in our lands to prevent such from happening.
You've put in clear terms why your people hate Biāfra..but still I'd encourage unstablewater and other Yoruba's to push for the total expulsion of Igbos from Yoruba land.
Igbos can't be in the West when there are enough economic opportunities to harvest in Igboland

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) by omonnakoda: 9:32am On Jan 07, 2016
tauraro22:
Very quite unfortunate. Observe the comments on this thread by Yoruba folks. This shows that an average Yoruba man or woman is heartless and wicked.

Just thinking out loud.
just like the folk that woke up one day and killed Bello,Balewa,Akintola,Okotie=Eboh many women and children whilst sparing Zik and Okpara.
The same heartless folk who fake numerous drugs and drinks killing hundreds
Funny how they refuse to see themselves how they are ,how others really see them

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) by xtrorp: 9:46am On Jan 07, 2016
omonnakoda:
just like the folk that woke up one day and killed Bello,Balewa,Akintola,Okotie=Eboh many women and children whilst sparing Zik and Okpara.
The same heartless folk who fake numerous drugs and drinks killing hundreds
Funny how they refuse to see themselves how they are ,how others really see them

Frustrated lying propagandist, read how your Yorubas are the founding fathers of crimes in Nigeria.

https://www.nairaland.com/106713/behold-deported-drug-couriers-nigerian
From the statistics above:
11 of the drug dealers were Yorubas
5 were Igbos
3 were Edo.

osisi5 post:
I've heard this Igbo this, Igbo that too many times and it's plain annoying.
This old article may throw some light.
Nigerians commit crime and the criminals are from all the tribes.

One of the earliest known cases of drug abuse involving a Nigerian was the fate of one Iyabo Olorunkoya, who was sentenced to jail in the 1970s following an attempt to smuggle marijuana into the United Kingdom.

In the mid-1980s, during the General Mohammadu Buhari-led regime, two Nigerians, Messrs Wahab Ojuolape and Bartholomew Owoh as well as a third victim were executed under a peculiar decree drawn to take retroactive effect. Curiously, even this law and other draconian measures devised to deter drug traffickers, appeared insufficient, for about that same period, one Morenike Fausatu Lawal almost made it into history books as the first woman to be killed by firing squad for drug trafficking in Nigeria. Then came the Gloria Okon saga, where a suspected drug courier believed to have died in prison custody, ressurected overseas.

http://www.sunnewsonline.com/webpages/features/travels/2005/july/28/travels-28-07-2005-001.htm

http://thenigeriangazette.com/history-of-armed-robbers-company-liquidators-rapists-and-notoriours-official-criminals-in-nigeria-by-shama-maliga/

84 babies was killed by ur yoloba pharmaceutical company, My pikin teething Mixture..
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/africa/tainted-teething-syrup-kills-84-babies-in-nigeria-1570715.html

1 Like

Re: Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) by Wadeoye(m): 10:10am On Jan 07, 2016
Fantastic... Who owns Lagos now?

2 Likes

Re: Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) by cheruv: 10:11am On Jan 07, 2016
NakedEve:

You surely don't HV eyes to see the spirit realm.
I am from the water.
I also have air spirit and I must tell you that anything that will make Igbo's united economically will shake our kingdom.
Their star as a tribe is so bright that it blinds us.
They r a giant.
That righteous man sends giant angels to guard Nidigbo because of what they r destined to be.
We see the giant angels n get annoyed!

In the spirit realm it has been seen that in the period of waning of the religion of that righteous man up there, that the Igbo's, Ijaws, Itsekiris n Urhobos shall team up n work together n cause a shaking revival in Europe.

This though will be spearheaded by Nidigbo.

It is destined that there will be a major shaking that will make them go back home.
And so we cannot allow Igbo go home cos they will then become an economic giant.

From here they shall spring up n become so great that with their funds they will shake Europe with the message of that righteous man up there.

We must do everything to keep them scattered in other parts of this country so that they will loose focus n never achieve what has been purported for them.

This Lagos govt thingy will just push them further to their right destiny.

Mtschew.

Stupid Lagos govt.
Esprito marina!! shockedshocked
You're of two powerful kingdoms... Very impressive.can you check in the library of the air kingdom and tell me how long the Igbo has inhabited this earth?
Moreover, check whether the kingdom of Biāfra shall come to pass in our time undecided
I await your reply and am now following you...

1 Like

Re: Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) by djkirkoo2(m): 10:17am On Jan 07, 2016
BABANGBALI:
yes we are. Are you happy now?
Olodo
Re: Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) by cheruv: 10:28am On Jan 07, 2016
millionaireman:
Demolishing one Nigeria inadvertently.
Tomorrow when these traders that lost their life investments go back to the east to push for secession from Nigeria, una go remind them how una defeated their fathers during the last civil war, tell them not to try secession gain. Mugus wasting time about one Nigeria.

Even God Himself cannot tempt and intimidatie people this far against secession.
Yep
...all the cries of Igbos in the bondage of Nigeria reached Chukwu Okike Abiama,the God of their fathers...

1 Like

Re: Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) by GhaliNaaba(m): 10:31am On Jan 07, 2016
Igbo how market?
Re: Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) by BABANGBALI: 10:35am On Jan 07, 2016
djkirkoo2:
Olodo
he pain am tongue
Re: Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) by chernest2002: 10:36am On Jan 07, 2016
Unemployment creation is a real change.
Re: Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) by boladez(m): 10:53am On Jan 07, 2016
xtrorp:

Pardon me Dude, I usually don't comment on tribalistic matters but i find this irresistible.

I will be surprised if you live in Lagos !. I marvel and wonder how people like you are able to remain so mono focused and myopic in thinking. In all this are you saying the Ibo Brothers are the only ones affected by this demolition? and have you been to Oshodi or better still robbed at Oshodi? Do you know how thieves , smokers and lowlifers hide in these shanties to perpetuate evil?

Are you aware the current governor was trying to be a people of the masses by reversing the urbanisation policies of the previous administration and he also lost grip of the state? Are you aware that as Africans the only language we understand is enforcement? No serious government will allow chaos and slums to thrive in urban areas?

I will like to know your comments on the demolition of

1. Ketu Fruit market
2. Mile 12 market
3. Oja Oba Ikorodu
4. Egbeda market

You see, tribalism is one of the monsters killing this country and I wonder how people are so wired to only see things from the tribal point of view. When thieves run out of these Oshodi market , rob and return , do they ask the victims if they are yoruba ibo or hausa or south south before they rob?

If you were the governor what would you do?...allow the slums to continue to deface the environment and also harbour miscreants?

For those of us with the Lagos spirit...we don't care your tribe but we respect constituted authority and we also know that some people are owners of the land.

Pleeease spare me!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) by obailala(m): 11:01am On Jan 07, 2016
Crownvillar:

You have highlighted a very important observation which is valid. In this particular case and others, it is difficult to identify the party to blame. However, if the government did issue eviction notices, they should have gone a step further by publicizing this on the state radio, TV and any other means of communication via the State Ministry of Information.

For example, in Jan 2016, you decide that a market has to go. Go to the market and issue quit notice for say, the 6th June 2016. Carry along all traders and market leaders reminding them of the deadline. Publish this in the Newspapers and run regular reminders on the State TV and via radio jingles. On the June 6th, visit market again to remind them deadline has expired and demolition can start at any time. 7th to 9th June increase media campaign to remind anybody still trading there, that they do so at their own risk, as the deadline has expired. On the 10th June move in with bulldozers.

Of course, all of the above should be underpinned with a concrete plan beforehand for an alternative site where trading can be relocated to.
I totally agree with you, the government seems to have always failed in the area of communication. I don't think there would have been much outcry if a reasonable notice period was given for the traders to relocate and if the deadline of evacuation was properly communicated. I wouldn't want to believe the date of demolition was announced but yet some traders still left their goods in their shops. Poor communication has always been the case in all government led demolitions across Nigeria.
Re: Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) by omonnakoda: 11:03am On Jan 07, 2016
http://www.thisdaylive.com/articles/pains-of-demolition/222039/

Each sphere of the tide of life has a way of exerting its influence on mankind. Obviously, that is why at the end of each passing day, a living soul is subject to count his or her gains and losses, even after praying to God at the beginning of the day to grant him or her divine favour. May be, that is why it is often said that one man’s fortune could be another man’s misfortune: What a Life!

This situation is indeed peculiar to the recent event that took place at the boundary town of Amansea in Awka North Council Area of Anambra State on August 17, 2015 whereby the Anambra State government through the state Urban Develop Board (ASUDEB) swooped on the Cattle market and destroyed about 50 make-shift houses said to be used as brothels by commercial sex workers in the area.

According to eye witness account, officials of the Development Board arrived the the place at about 3.12pm with their bulldozer, and guarded by more than 50 armed mobile police, soon rounded up the place and commenced the demolition of the earmarked structures in the market.

The eye witnesses said that at the last count, no fewer than 50 buildings were pulled down at the exercise, just as about 2,000 commercial sex workers were rendered homeless.

The demolition exercise, as expected immediately generated tension in the place as the dumb founded-house owners and their occupiers soon shut out of their shock and mobilized, chanting war songs and marched across the place in frenzy, and began setting every other standing structure within the precinct ablaze.

While the group vowed to further mobilize against the state government over what they described as it insensitivity over their plight, one of the prostitutes who simply gave her name as Rachael condemned the action of the government officials as incentive, wicked and inhuman because, according to her, they were not notified on time before embarking on the demolition.

She maintained that it was wrong for the government officials to have earmarked and destroyed only their own “camp”, while leaving behind other structures in place, which included Kiosks and canteen in the same section of the market.

But the ASUDEB authorities had explained that demolished brothels were singled out because they were illegal structures and that they were being used by kidnappers and other criminals to carry out their nefarious activities, pointing out that it was time enough he blew the whistle and restored sanity to the place.

Addressing newsmen soon after the exercise, the General Manager, Anambra State Urban Development Board, Mr Enemmuo Nathan Chinedu, who led the demolition exercise, explained that the operation was part of Governor Willie Obiano’s resolve to rid the state of criminals.

The ASUDEB boss insisted that the affected structures were illegal and being used by undesirable elements like prostitutes, kidnappers and armed robbers to wreck havoc on the unsuspecting members of the society.

He used the occasion to announce that the demolition exercise was continuous and would soon be extended to other cities in the state like Nnewi, Onitsha and other adjoining towns.

Chinedu further explained that “a lot of prostitutes live around Amansea Cattle market and their presence are spoiling our children and constituting nuisance in the area. And you know that anywhere there is brothel, criminals and kidnappers hover around there.

“In my capacity as the GM of ASUDEB, I will work to ensure that this doesn’t exist anymore in the state as our activities are in line with our amiable governor’s policy of zero tolerance for criminals and kidnappers in the state,“ he maintained.

On the allegation that officials showed bias in the demolition exercise, the secretary of the cattle market, Alhaji Bello Maigari, explained that all illegal structures in the market were earmarked fot demolition by ASUDEB since 21 days before the exercise was carried out, adding that their (cattle traders) wive's canteens were not part of the ones marked out for the demolition.

Nevertheless, controversy still trails the demolition exercise since after it was carried out. While some expressed concern over the unfortunate situation the affected house users, others condemned the perceived insensitivity on the part of government in the execution of the project.

Chief Emmanuel Chukwujekwu Nnaemeka, a community leader and businessman, said in an interview with THISDAY in Awka that the sudden demolition of the 50 brothels was unnecessary because many people used the outlets to transact businesses or even sleep there and go to their respective jobs the next day.

According to Nnaemeka, “if the situation of the demolition was influenced by the type of houses built there, because they were make-shifts, all the state government would have done is to easily arrange, relocate the occupants to another area and build block houses at the affected site."

On the allegation that the place is being used as a base by harlots, who in turn harbor and encourage convergence of criminals in the area, he maintained that even that line of argument did not hold enough water as the business of commercial sex have been an ever existing phenomenon, which must thrive at all costs.

The community leader simply quipped that “in fact, it was a mismanaged affair on the part of government. Does it mean that government no longer knows how to identify and apprehend criminals that led them to destroy other people’s property.

"In fact, this is anti-development in itself. And to tell you the truth, the business of harlotry has been there since creation and nobody can stamp it out through the world. It is like music, and nobody can stop music. All that every generation of government does is to harness the activities of the commercial sex workers in order to ensure that their activities do not explode against the people.

“I think that all that the government has succeeded in doing is to create a space for our young men who hitherto had patronized the brothels to become randy and perhaps, one day they would rise and begin to molest our wives and children.

“Above all, since the business of commercial sex must find a way to thrive, it mean that the harlots living in Amansea would have relocated to the nearest neighbouring state, and the revenue that would have been generated and spent in the state would now go to these other states,“ Nnaemeka stressed.

Another concerned individual, Mr. Christopher Chukwujekwu Okafor-Obuorah of Umuonaga village, Awka, who also runs the Labongo cousine super club, a night club in Awka said the action of the state government was rather too harsh.

While he did not outrightly condemn the government’s action in its entirety, Okafor-Obuorah asked rhetorically: “When you instruct a child to catch a smelling rat, would you not provide that child with water to wash hands?"

He noted that if actually the state government had stated its need to use the affected parcel of land for other purpose, it is supposed to have relocated the occupiers, so that they would not be rendered homeless or their business paralyzed and rendered ineffective.

He nonetheless noted that Governor Obiano may in his usual magnanimous manner be considering providing the affected settlers with another site, adding that “If somebody mistakenly eats up another man’s meat, he can equally repay with a piece of fish!”
Re: Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) by omonnakoda: 11:05am On Jan 07, 2016
http://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/06/abia-govt-begins-demolition-of-illegal-structures-in-aba/
[size=18pt]
Abia govt begins demolition of illegal structures in Aba[/size]

Home
News
Business
Tech
Politics
Sports
Entertainment
Style
Viewpoint
Editorial
Forum
Jobs
Columns
PROPERTY

You are here : Home » News » Abia govt begins demolition of illegal structures in Aba
Abia govt begins demolition of illegal structures in Aba

on June 18, 2015 / in News 9:52 pm / Comments
Facebook Twitter Google+ LinkedIn Reddit Print

By Anayo Okoli

UMUAHIA—IN compliance with his promise of rebuilding Aba, the commercial capital of Abia State, Governor Okezie Ikpeazu has issued notice to commence demolition of illegal structures in to make way for the city’s the regeneration.

Consequently, the state government named the structures to be demolished to include all structures, property, stalls and shops encroaching on roads and service lanes.

A statement by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Mr. Godwin Adindu, said the owners of such structures had been given seven days to remove them, failing which bulldozers would descend on them.

“The government of Abia State is by this notice informing all property owners in Aba metropolis and the general public that, in line with the government’s commitment towards the rebuilding of the city of Aba, which necessitated the establishment of Aba Urban Renewal Office, the agencies of government will commence a demolition of all structures, property, stalls and shops which encroach into the road, seven days from this announcement.

“The property to be demolished include but not limited to buildings on service lanes, illegal shops, illegal fences and such other structures that constitute a blockade to the free flow of traffic and drainage.

1 Like

Re: Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) by Lifestone(m): 11:33am On Jan 07, 2016
xtrorp:

It has been your grand plan to ensure your callous, lopsided citing of federal infrastructures and investments in the SE.

For over 45 years the plan by the government to rehabilitate and reconstruct the Eastern region via Gowon’s 3Rs was diverted to Lagos, Abuja nd other regions for deliberate and obvious reasons.

But that has not made you lots fare any better than the Igbos despite your numerous, unbridled treasury looting of the commonwealth. The Igbos pride themselves as having the highest concentration of middle-class citizens while squalor and penury pervade your enclaves.

You can continue hiding your head in the sand of hypocrisy and mischievousness to your shame.

Again you have refused to address the issues raised in my comments. I am proudly Yoruba and most of my best friends in my adult life have been of Igbo race.
My point here is to advise Nigerians whichever tribe you are to obey lawful government directives, and where you think your rights are not being respected, seek court protections.
Stop playing the victim

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) by NakedEve: 11:38am On Jan 07, 2016
cheruv:

Esprito marina!! shockedshocked
You're of two powerful kingdoms... Very impressive.can you check in the library of the air kingdom and tell me how long the Igbo has inhabited this earth?
Moreover, check whether the kingdom of Biāfra shall come to pass in our time undecided
I await your reply and am now following you...

Such sincerity!
Unfortunately, I do not admire sincerity not to talk of a sarcastic one.
Re: Tears As Lagos Demolishes Oshodi Market (PHOTOS) by cheruv: 12:02pm On Jan 07, 2016
NakedEve:

Such sincerity!
Unfortunately, I do not admire sincerity not to talk of a sarcastic one.
Am interested in all those and more... But seriously am in my requests

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Chad Gives Nigeria April 22 Deadline To Occupy Territories Seized From BokoHaram / Arthur Eze Registers At Gym Center, Gives Staff N1M For Breakfast / Presidential Villa: APC Defeats PDP - Vanguard

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.