Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,912 members, 7,828,192 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 05:34 AM

Telecommunications Professionals Zone - Career (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Telecommunications Professionals Zone (112753 Views)

PGD In Eng(electronic &telecommunication) & Msc Physics Telecommunications / Human Resource Professionals: / Cwna & Telecommunications (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (32) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by hercules07: 9:46am On Dec 12, 2010
@Chydoo

MPLS is not a full mesh thing o, imagine running hub and spoke architecture on your provider network, you do not need any full mesh configuration, you can use route reflectors and multi-protocol BGP to carry your vpn connections over the label switched paths. The important thing about MPLS is the underlying IGP, you mess that up, your MPLS will not work, also when running ospf over frame relay, run network type point to multipoint (because of the way ospf carries next hop information). I am quite excited about mpls because of its traffic engineering capabilities and the fact that when fully deployed by tier 1 providers, qos on the internet can be achieved.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by hercules07: 7:27pm On Dec 12, 2010
Posted a response on the MPLS stuff but could not see it here. MPLS is a layer 2.5 protocol, so, any layer 2 or layer 3 layer protocol will go on it, it actually does not require full mesh connectivity, it just requires that you are conversant with layers 2 and 3 protocols and BGP very very well. The benefits are for vpns and quality of service, by the way doing layer2 vpn seems kind of wacky in a service provider network.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by hallyman: 12:50pm On Dec 18, 2010
PIS CareerSeam is currently recruiting top Managers for a telecomms company in Nigeria.
Candidates with 5 years post NYSC ecperience in the telecomms industry can

visit www.CareerSeam.com to view details and apply.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by lekside44(m): 7:28pm On Dec 18, 2010
justwonder:

thanks woodrose for your kind advise,i have ccna and am still preparing for CCNP route exams.Reguirements which seems to come up oftens bothers on programming/database of which i have limited knowledge,so i find my learning curve has got to be much steeper.i do appreciate your input cheesy
@ustwonder
whats your email?
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by oneal10: 5:52pm On Dec 23, 2010
PLS HOUSE I NEED YOUR HELP.AM BEEN DRAWN INTO ISSUES:I WANT TO CONFIRM WHICH OF THE TWO HAS FUTURE MORE IN NIGERIA.OIL AND GAS OR TELECOMMUNICATION.AM DRAWN TO CHOOSE B/W THE TWO.PLS ADVISE ME COS AM BEEN DRAWN BTW THE TWO. AND I HAVE A GREAT PASSION FOR THE TWO.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by oneal10: 5:54pm On Dec 23, 2010
PLS HOUSE I NEED YOUR HELP.AM BEEN DRAWN INTO ISSUES:I WANT TO CONFIRM WHICH OF THE TWO HAS FUTURE MORE IN NIGERIA.OIL AND GAS OR TELECOMMUNICATION.AM DRAWN TO CHOOSE B/W THE TWO.PLS ADVISE ME COS AM BEEN DRAWN BTW THE TWO. AND I HAVE A GREAT PASSION FOR THE TWO.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by oneal10: 10:01am On Dec 24, 2010
pls help
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by zilosxp(m): 6:50pm On Dec 25, 2010
oneal10:

Hello there. Let me help the gurus on this. The future of the two sectors you mentioned are very much intact. Barring any crazy fall in oil prices, our oil industry can only grow from strength to strength. The same can also be said about our telecoms sector. Expansions will keep going on in the industry and even when we get to the level of big countries like the U.S and maybe China, there will still be the need for the human resources to maintain that level. However, you cant 'have passion' for the two of them at once. They are entirely on different planes. So look at yourself very well and decide on which path to follow!
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by zilosxp(m): 8:09pm On Dec 25, 2010
Please this is for the experienced telecom professionals, What do you guys think of the 6 month diploma programme by TTC? Is it advisable to go through it or should one just pick an area to get trained? Also,is it (the diploma) enough to make one gainfully employed? Here's the address, ttcmobileworld(dot)com.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Nobody: 9:48am On Dec 28, 2010
zilosxp:

Please this is for the experienced telecom professionals, What do you guys think of the 6 month diploma programme by TTC? Is it advisable to go through it or should one just pick an area to get trained? Also,is it (the diploma) enough to make one gainfully employed? Here's the address, ttcmobileworld(dot)com.
Can someone answer this? It will do a whole lot for most telecom proffessional wannabes
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by AjanleKoko: 1:20pm On Dec 28, 2010
zilosxp:

Sorry for the late response. I'm actually on vacation.
I do hear about TTC Mobile and its training programs. Let me say that training is not always an automatic route to a job, especially in Nigeria. But it is always a good starting point. I'd advise you go for it, to get a good overview of the industry.

However, sometimes good experience in IT technologies like Linux/Solaris admin, IP connectivity with Cisco, etc, can be good ways to get into telcos. The IT job market is wider, and its the same servers we use in telecoms that are used in the IT industry. If you want to go for training, try to get skilled in any of these areas.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Nobody: 1:43pm On Dec 28, 2010
AjanleKoko:

Sorry for the late response. I'm actually on vacation.
I do hear about TTC Mobile and its training programs. Let me say that training is not always an automatic route to a job, especially in Nigeria. But it is always a good starting point. I'd advise you go for it, to get a good overview of the industry.

However, sometimes good experience in IT technologies like Linux/Solaris admin, IP connectivity with Cisco, etc, can be good ways to get into telcos. The IT job market is wider, and its the same servers we use in telecoms that are used in the IT industry. If you want to go for training, try to get skilled in any of these areas.
Thanks a lot for this, as for me, am looking at Cisco(bias for voice) and Cwna but with you mentioning Linux with your experience in the industry, I'd sure look at it also. The three will be a great combo (I hope)Enjoy your vacation!
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by smartpple: 9:17pm On Dec 28, 2010
We cannot deny the painful fact when we look at the downward trend in the nation economy, rise in crime rate and global insecurity which is on the increase. Job security is fast disappearing; those with jobs are so scared about the future, while those without jobs are not even sure about tomorrow. For how long will these trends go on? Are there remedies to these issues? Companies will do anything to retain or employ anyone who will help them move forward. That is the fact. Those that have jobs and those that will love to be employed must strive to remain relevant. No one is ready to waste money employing anyone who will not bring instant and desired results. The question is how can you become and stay relevant? Since the emergence of Information Technology, our daily lives (both corporate and individual) have been made easier. In a recent survey, it was observed that most of the people who lost their jobs did so because the had no knowledge about Information Technology. In these times, there is a need to understand what exactly organizations want from employees so that you can position yourself to provide it. This is the secret to retaining any job and securing your future. In this period of insecurity, organization will need people who will help them secure their data by every means possible.
A fast rising IT /TELECOMS TRAINING COMPANY has put together a free training programme to help job applicants and employees as well to stand out in their organizations, by communicating and teaching IT security policies that will save millions for organizations. This easy to understand process can make you a STAR PLAYER in any interview and in any organization.
For more information on how to qualify for this training call:

SMART PEOPLE ACADEMY
NO 43 MODUPE STREET, FOLA AGORO.
LAGOS STATE
CALL:07065365535, 08055137212
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Nobody: 8:05am On Dec 29, 2010
smartpple:

We cannot deny the painful fact when we look at the downward trend in the nation economy, rise in crime rate and global insecurity which is on the increase. Job security is fast disappearing; those with jobs are so scared about the future, while those without jobs are not even sure about tomorrow. For how long will these trends go on? Are there remedies to these issues? Companies will do anything to retain or employ anyone who will help them move forward. That is the fact. Those that have jobs and those that will love to be employed must strive to remain relevant. No one is ready to waste money employing anyone who will not bring instant and desired results. The question is how can you become and stay relevant? Since the emergence of Information Technology, our daily lives (both corporate and individual) have been made easier. In a recent survey, it was observed that most of the people who lost their jobs did so because the had no knowledge about Information Technology. In these times, there is a need to understand what exactly organizations want from employees so that you can position yourself to provide it. This is the secret to retaining any job and securing your future. In this period of insecurity, organization will need people who will help them secure their data by every means possible.
A fast rising IT /TELECOMS TRAINING COMPANY has put together a free training programme to help job applicants and employees as well to stand out in their organizations, by communicating and teaching IT security policies that will save millions for organizations. This easy to understand process can make you a STAR PLAYER in any interview and in any organization.
For more information on how to qualify for this training call:

SMART PEOPLE ACADEMY
NO 43 MODUPE STREET, FOLA AGORO.
LAGOS STATE
CALL:07065365535, 08055137212

Oga if you read through the 16pages of this thread you won't see anyone posting numbers to be called for 'more information'. Therefore, if you aint one cheap scam artist, simply explain what your company teaches in full in this thread!
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by chatom143: 8:34am On Dec 29, 2010
Presently am studing Physcis and electronics going to 400level.but now l want to study an enginerring course that has future in this country and the world at large l need help from NL.which type of Engr.courses did you know.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by AjanleKoko: 8:44am On Dec 29, 2010
chatom143:

Presently am studing Physcis and electronics going to 400level.but now l want to study an enginerring course that has future in this country and the world at large l need help from NL.which type of Engr.courses did you know.

Dude you're already on the way.
You can do a postgraduate diploma or masters degree in the field of engineering or information technology you might want to specialize in.
Make sure you graduate with a good degree.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by chatom143: 10:16am On Dec 29, 2010
At moderator thanks the,but the problem now is that physics and electronics is not an enginerring course
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Happy25: 1:24pm On Jan 03, 2011
I'm in the middle of making a big decision but been out of naija for a while now I dont know the best decision to make. I'm in my final year in a uk university studying computing(BSC), i already have a proffesional graduate diploma(PGD) in IT here too and also have oracle 10g certified assiociate certificate. I'm thinking of coming back home in 3-4yrs after gathering few years of work experience here. I still want to write other professional exams soon and i'm stuck between two cos i dont know which one is more marketable in naija. Any good advice will be much appreciated, I'm looking to choose between two paths, cisco(networking) or oracle(database), which one has more job opportunities and attracts more salary?
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Nobody: 4:28pm On Jan 03, 2011
Where is everyone? Still on holidays?
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by persist: 11:20am On Jan 05, 2011
@Ajanlekoko thanks for the contribution and devotion towards answering question on this thread. I however ave a question. I am presently studying for a masters in Communication systems in the UK after studying for a Bsc in Physics in naija with a one year stint working as a programmer after NYSC. I am thinking presently of the future How can I be of more use and stand out in this tough market here in the UK or let say I come back to naija what can i do that can make me stand out when searching for a job.

There seems to be a lot of discrimination on foreign degrees nowadays in naija not that I care just saying and I presently don't have any experience in the telecomms field but would like to break in . I presently posses Certs and Knowledge in Java, Sun Solaris and CCNA level networks with some SCJP an SCSA certs to back it up mostly acquired by self study . Any constructive advice would be appreciated.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by minealone(f): 10:46pm On Jan 06, 2011
OMG!!! Where on earth have i been?? This is the thread just for me. I really appreciate all the contributors on this thread. You've made a big impact on me, Thanks a lot
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jan 07, 2011
Hmmm! Great!
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by flexxydan: 7:08pm On Jan 07, 2011
New year promo snd bulksms 1000 units @3k, snd ova 1k fone nums oda services available call 08059213549,ping 254F057E,kindly forward,buz only!
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by demopin: 2:09am On Jan 11, 2011
The reality is with telecoms, you cannot go wrong; Africa is a Goldmine for the Telecoms industry both in terms of infrastructure and services. Having Cisco certifications will provide opportunities especially in the Triple Play Services (Voice/Video/Data) and if you read to understand (and not to pass) the exams then you will probably have fun in your career; With Oracle, you may realize that your circle of influence is limited to the Enterprise market (The Big Organisation) whereas with Cisco, there is room for flexiblity (Small, Medium or Enterprise market) If you do not have LABS you can use GNS3 (Free download); You will also need the IOS for the routers and switches;  but please study to understand

A key area I will also like to mention is developing Management Skills (Projects and Service Delivery) With Operations, Prince2009 or PMP or Agile will be ideal (I have a bias for Prince2009 with PMP as a next option) For Service Delivery ITILv3 is also ideal. Prince2009 is for Project Management, while ITILv3 assist in Support operations;

The combination of both Management and Technical skills will widen you chances of settling into the Telecoms industry anywhere in the world; Please note I mentioned skills not certifications; Certifications are likely to secure you at the very best an interview, but your performance will get you the job and retain it; While having certifications is good, the ability to defend the certifications (in terms of knowledge)  are better and will complement any lack of experience as you will be able to demonstrate the understanding and build upon your knowledge

In summary, Cisco certifications are a sure path to follow; I hope you have a fulfilled career in your choices
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Nobody: 11:36pm On Jan 11, 2011
demopin:

The reality is with telecoms, you cannot go wrong; Africa is a Goldmine for the Telecoms industry both in terms of infrastructure and services. Having Cisco certifications will provide opportunities especially in the Triple Play Services (Voice/Video/Data) and if you read to understand (and not to pass) the exams then you will probably have fun in your career; With Oracle, you may realize that your circle of influence is limited to the Enterprise market (The Big Organisation) whereas with Cisco, there is room for flexiblity (Small, Medium or Enterprise market) If you do not have LABS you can use GNS3 (Free download); You will also need the IOS for the routers and switches;  but please study to understand

A key area I will also like to mention is developing Management Skills (Projects and Service Delivery) With Operations, Prince2009 or PMP or Agile will be ideal (I have a bias for Prince2009 with PMP as a next option) For Service Delivery ITILv3 is also ideal. Prince2009 is for Project Management, while ITILv3 assist in Support operations;

The combination of both Management and Technical skills will widen you chances of settling into the Telecoms industry anywhere in the world; Please note I mentioned skills not certifications; Certifications are likely to secure you at the very best an interview, but your performance will get you the job and retain it; While having certifications is good, the ability to defend the certifications (in terms of knowledge)  are better and will complement any lack of experience as you will be able to demonstrate the understanding and build upon your knowledge

In summary, Cisco certifications are a sure path to follow; I hope you have a fulfilled career in your choices
Nice one there, could you explain a bit more,where and where the cisco certifications can lead someone to at entry level?
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by demopin: 6:16am On Jan 12, 2011
@Zeddicus

There are currently 5 variants for entry level Cisco Certifications (1.Routing and Switching, 2.Service Provider Operations 3.Voice 4.Security and 5.Wireless) each of these certifications have the CCNA notation. These certifications have study paths that focus on specific areas of the Enterprise network and aims to address the business needs of organisations; However, as you progress you realize there is a level of interdependence between these certifications;

Determining which certification path to follow is personal decision depending on the individual, but as a guide you might want to do the following

1. Establish your focus (What is your goal) Expert in Voice or Security or Design Architect, Solutions Architect, or Consulting
    a. You can begin by querying your choice (Why  Routing & Switching or Consulting or Security etc
    b. Remember Certifications are investments not Trophies; What is your expected  RETURN ON INVESTMENTS (ROI) in 3  - 5 years

2. The answer to the questions above will lead you to having a plan which includes
    a. Writing down the overall plan (The steps i.e have CCNA then CCNP or CCIP or CCDP, or CCSP etc)
    b. Reviewing the plan and break it down to smaller modules e.g CCNA 6-8 weeks) then CCNP 18 - 24 weeks)
    c. Set targets (e.g Read 2 Chapters/day)

3. Be disciplined; Try and stick to your schedule (A lot of people are focused and have plans but are not disciplined to carry them out)

The above suggestions are guides as we all have different challenges and circumstances; THE WILLINGNESS TO FACE THE CHALLENGES IS THE FIRST STEP

A wonderful day to you

1 Like

Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by duintes: 2:13pm On Jan 14, 2011
zilosxp:

Hello there. Let me help the gurus on this. The future of the two sectors you mentioned are very much intact. Barring any crazy fall in oil prices, our oil industry can only grow from strength to strength. The same can also be said about our telecoms sector. Expansions will keep going on in the industry and even when we get to the level of big countries like the U.S and maybe China, there will still be the need for the human resources to maintain that level. However, you cant 'have passion' for the two of them at once. They are entirely on different planes. So look at yourself very well and decide on which path to follow!

With due respect, it is possible to have a passion for the two industries. Even though their areas of interests seem to be divergent, there are some constants in the two - for instance, HR is HR both in Oil and Gas and Telecoms, IT Support, PR, Marketing/Sales, Risk Management, Health and Safety are same, etc. Even Radio Frequency Planning/Transmission cut across both industries.

It will help if you could let us know what areas you are interested in these two sectors. It is possible that the skills might be transferrable, otherwise, someone might advise better. All in all, people have moved and will continue to move across these industries. Hope this helps in your career planning
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Nobody: 6:42am On Jan 16, 2011
demopin:

@Zeddicus

There are currently 5 variants for entry level Cisco Certifications (1.Routing and Switching, 2.Service Provider Operations 3.Voice 4.Security and 5.Wireless) each of these certifications have the CCNA notation. These certifications have study paths that focus on specific areas of the Enterprise network and aims to address the business needs of organisations; However, as you progress you realize there is a level of interdependence between these certifications;

Determining which certification path to follow is personal decision depending on the individual, but as a guide you might want to do the following

1. Establish your focus (What is your goal) Expert in Voice or Security or Design Architect, Solutions Architect, or Consulting
    a. You can begin by querying your choice (Why  Routing & Switching or Consulting or Security etc
    b. Remember Certifications are investments not Trophies; What is your expected  RETURN ON INVESTMENTS (ROI) in 3  - 5 years

2. The answer to the questions above will lead you to having a plan which includes
    a. Writing down the overall plan (The steps i.e have CCNA then CCNP or CCIP or CCDP, or CCSP etc)
    b. Reviewing the plan and break it down to smaller modules e.g CCNA 6-8 weeks) then CCNP 18 - 24 weeks)
    c. Set targets (e.g Read 2 Chapters/day)

3. Be disciplined; Try and stick to your schedule (A lot of people are focused and have plans but are not disciplined to carry them out)

The above suggestions are guides as we all have different challenges and circumstances; THE WILLINGNESS TO FACE THE CHALLENGES IS THE FIRST STEP

A wonderful day to you
thanks demopin, however you didnt really answer my question. For example i'm looking at going with the wireless or voice option but i dont know which one i can readily get an entry level job with, in the current job conditions in nigeria. My plan was to get the ccna then get the ccna voice or wireless but i need to know which one will offer me more openings. In times past ccna alone could have gotten one a job but not today. So please my question is purely based on the employment opportunities attached to the each of the ccna specialties.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by jamd: 7:17pm On Jan 20, 2011
@ajanlekoko
someone vying for career in telecomunication can he study computer science as first degree
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by AjanleKoko: 9:19am On Jan 21, 2011
^^
Of course. I don't think the first degree matters much, if you already have it, or are already studying it.
IT and Telecoms have become a converged discipline these days. But for someone just going to school, better to study electronic and electrical engineering, so you can start from the basics. Basics as in electromagnetic theory, Maxwell's equations, signal processing, etc.

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (32) (Reply)

How To Calculate Your New Salary Based On New National Minimum Wage: Photo / Biochemistry Vs Microbiology: Which One Has More Job Opportunities In Nigeria? / Meet Abdullahi Lawal, EFCC Official Who Rejected N100M Bribe From Chinese

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.