Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,111 members, 7,828,954 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:31 PM

Telecommunications Professionals Zone - Career (18) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Telecommunications Professionals Zone (112761 Views)

PGD In Eng(electronic &telecommunication) & Msc Physics Telecommunications / Human Resource Professionals: / Cwna & Telecommunications (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (32) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by thomasjohn: 10:11am On Jul 02, 2011
@dilahel
I did my NYSC wit them,when is the interview?
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Nobody: 10:23pm On Jul 04, 2011
Hi there. I'm an Rf design engineer with up to 6 years experience. Due to my fiance insistence on living in Nigeria, so i was just thinking if realistically i can get a job (possibly in telecommunications) in Nigeria that pays a salary in the range of 10 mill- 25 mill Naira? In addition to that, do i need to serve in NYSC to work in Nigeria?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Best regards.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by salihuali1(m): 7:02pm On Jul 08, 2011
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by AjanleKoko: 12:24pm On Jul 09, 2011
micktosin:

Hi there. I'm an Rf design engineer with up to 6 years experience. Due to my fiance insistence on living in Nigeria, so i was just thinking if realistically i can get a job (possibly in telecommunications) in Nigeria that pays a salary in the range of 10 mill- 25 mill Naira? In addition to that, do i need to serve in NYSC to work in Nigeria?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Best regards.

micktosin, see salihu_ali's post below, and give it a shot:

salihu_ali:

Hi everyone.
Work has been hectic.

Do kindly help me get this out, the company I work for is hiring for the following positions.
Finance Manager - Abuja
HR Manager - Abuja
Business Development Manager (BDM) - Lagos
Snr. IP Network Engineer - Abuja and Lagos
Sales Engineer, Professional Services - Abuja and Lagos
Network Infrastructure Architect (NIA) - Abuja
Snr. Sales Executive, Access and Internet Services - Abuja and Lagos

I know this belongs in the Job/Vacancies section but I'd need your help with getting word out.
See the link below -
http://layer3.cc/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=23&Itemid=4
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by jeffman(m): 6:44pm On Jul 11, 2011
@Ajanlekoko. thanks for the help u are giving peeps on this forum. I particularly have benefited a lot from the career section.

I have a small issue i need some guidance on. My brother graduated in Elect/comp engr (2.1) from Uniben and has done the CCNA, ITIL certifications. his interests lie in Telecoms but it has been so difficult to break into telecoms. I personally have noticed that experience is king in telecoms making it harder for entry level guys like my brother. even the huwawei n alcatel seem to focus mnore on the experienced guys. My brother then tried to go the IT companies route but even that has been difficult. I recently convinced him to do the MCSE certification since he was practicing Exchange/Active Directory on one of his Vmware virtual machines on his laptop. He argued with me dat he doesnot hust want to be packing certifications. he needs the experience even if the pay is small.

what do u think he needs to do to improve his chances of getting an entry level job in telecoms. (i am not talking abt the customer care & d likes. core technical stuffs)? the guy don dey tire for house.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Nobody: 9:40pm On Jul 12, 2011
Thanks a lot Mr Ajanlekoko. I'll give the job a try, and see how it goes.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Perculiar: 4:22pm On Jul 17, 2011
@dilahel pls how did u get to serve at ZTE? I too wil love tnm serve there pls i'm in batch b.pls can u help me.tank
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Perculiar: 4:23pm On Jul 17, 2011
@dilahel pls how did u get to serve at ZTE? I too wil love tnm serve there pls i'm in batch b.pls can u help me.tank
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Nobody: 6:43am On Jul 22, 2011
deleted.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Nobody: 6:57am On Jul 22, 2011
deleted.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by dantowlex: 9:11am On Jul 27, 2011
hi,i read computer/statistics in school,found interest in fiber optics implementation splicing,testing,e.t.c please wat training or certification can enroll into that can get me an edge in the telecom industry and where can i get this training.thanks
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by AjanleKoko: 9:32am On Jul 28, 2011
Hey house,
Apologies, I admit I've been neglecting this thread a bit.

For those of you who have been asking how to get into the telecoms industry, which certifications you can do, I have good news and bad news for you. Good news first: The industry is expanding and growing every day. Internet access has multiplied four times in the last year, and we have lots of providers offering different varieties of Internet service. We're slowly moving into a new paradigm where service differention and VAS is now key for telecom providers.

Bad news next: There is no easy route to anything. If you want to pursue a career in telecom, you have to get relevant trainings and certifications.
Good enough, IT and telecom are converging, even in Nigeria, so you can definitely use one area to leverage the other.

And even those do not guarantee anything. You need to look for experience anyhow you can. Find good training providers, academic institutions even, that are well entrenched with the blue chip companies. The likes of New Horizons, NIIT, Aptech, Bi-Trax, Techno-Logic, First-Logic, etc, are all international grade institutions. Don't trade quality for quantity, train with the guys of the caliber mentioned above, and network well with them, possibly for internship opportunities with corporates. In fact I wonder why that's not happening much in Nigeria. It doesn't have to be only students of universities and polytechnics that can intern with companies.

You all need to be serious about developing yourself. Start small, grow big, and stop looking for short cuts. They don't really exist in ICT. If you need to, go back to school, get a post-graduate or masters in telecoms or get the relevant certifications that can boost your career. Above all, be patient and stay learning. It won't happen overnight.

There are maybe 4 or 5 big network operators, but there are more than a thousand companies providing services to these 4 or 5 big companies, and even more are opening up everyday. Start small, like I always say, and grow big. Look for the opportunities.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by dip0: 1:57pm On Jul 28, 2011
Ajanlekoko

Pls may I know your thoughts about going to Middlesex University in London for a MSc in Telecommunications Engineering? I had my first degree in Computer Science and have particular interest in Networking which is related with Telecomms. With the status quo of a relatively hard life in the U.K, I am undecided about taking the UK admission for Middeles. What do you advise? The positive about my going to UK is that I could start as early as September, whereas for other countries which have other advantages over UK (like U.S where life is easier and one could get a job while studying and some scandinavian countries whr tuition is relatively inexpensive), classes dont begin till early quarter of next year.
Your thoughts pls
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by AjanleKoko: 4:07pm On Jul 28, 2011
dip0:

Ajanlekoko

Pls may I know your thoughts about going to Middlesex University in London for a MSc in Telecommunications Engineering? I had my first degree in Computer Science and have particular interest in Networking which is related with Telecomms. With the status quo of a relatively hard life in the U.K,  I am undecided about taking the UK admission for Middeles. What do you advise? The positive about my going to UK is that I could start as early as September, whereas for other countries which have other advantages over UK (like U.S where life is easier and one could get a job while studying and some scandinavian countries whr tuition is relatively inexpensive), classes dont begin till early quarter of next year.
Your thoughts pls

Hmm.
I think, unless you are going to Canada or maybe the US, in Europe today you are more likely to have to return home after your studies.
In the UK, you have to return home immediately after your study these days. I always advocate some period spent doing some post-study work after a degree abroad, even if its just an internship. That way you can gain some industry experience, and have something on your CV.

I kind of like the Scandanavian option. Look seriously at Sweden, Norway, or Finland. Even Germany. These countries are telecom hotspots, and you're likely to find some kind of opportunity there for some interim work. They also offer very low tuition.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by dip0: 9:40pm On Jul 28, 2011
Thank You so.

Swede schools now charge a lot for non-eu students. Finland and other scandinavian countries still ok
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Nobody: 5:52am On Aug 02, 2011
Radio frequency optimization,ITILv3,radio frequency planning and transmission,optical fibre transmission,linux or solaris admin,ip connectivity wit cisco,MPLS,BGP,base station stuffs, and on and on, pls dis tins r tooo plenty, do we do all of dis tins, or do we choose, pls me n ma guys r fresh grads currently servin.we read electrical n comp eng.all dis stuffs r new n news.we wil definitely do cisco n oracle sha,jst to follow d trends
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by elwino: 12:16am On Aug 03, 2011
@Ajanlekoko,
Thanks so much for your contributions to this trend, i have found it very informative and even used it to guide me in making some decisions about my career path.
I now work with a vendor as a Transmission Engineer, but in order to improve my skills I am in serious need of Trainings in DWDM, and Tellabs NMS. I dont know if you know of any institute around 9ja that can help me out with these. I need these training to make my next big leap in the industry.
Your contribution will be highly appreciated.
Thanks
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Nobody: 10:01pm On Aug 03, 2011
Sorry.n by d way mr ajankelo needs to b mayb minister of science n tech, or education, or mayb an IT consultant
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Nobody: 12:15am On Aug 05, 2011
loladeking:

Sorry.n by d way mr ajankelo needs to b mayb minister of science n tech, or education, or mayb an IT consultant
Point of correction, mr ajanlekoko, not ajankelo, slip of tongue, i mean slip of hand,
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by roydasher: 7:07pm On Aug 11, 2011
I'm an undergraduate of computer science in a Nigerian university and I have for long dreamt and wish to have my career in the Telecommunications Industry. Actually, i think at my 200L, its no too late to start building-up my career in the field. So please, i really need a good GUIDLINES on (1) How to Start (2) Where to Start (3) Necessary Certifications required, Plus more i might not know. PLEASE HELP!!
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by yd849ja: 9:39am On Aug 30, 2011
Please can anyone assist on MTN test format as regards transmission planning?
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Nobody: 12:47pm On Sep 01, 2011
hello my brother @mbulela and Ajanlekoko
I just graduated from a Nigeria polytechnic with Distinction in PHYSICS ELECTRONIS. I shal be going for my NYSC next month. Bu t i want to work in any Telecom company. pls i need your advice.
Thanks.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Nobody: 1:08pm On Sep 01, 2011
I just graduated from a Nigeria polytechnic with Distinction in PHYSICS ELECTRONIS. I shal be going for my NYSC next month. Bu t i want to work in any Telecom company. pls i need your advice.
Thanks.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by soulamanne(m): 11:39am On Sep 04, 2011
@ajalenkoko, with a degree in engineering physics,i first cut my teeth with a firm specialized in fibre optics design and deployment.they also do training in this line.added to this.they do LAN and radio stuffs so i had the basics of cisco routers and switches.what really caught my fancy in all these was fibre optics.i had a trainin in it and a certification called CFOT.a bit hands on on fibre equipments like splicers,OTDR,patch panels.my employer was not ready to take d full risk of lettting me handle d equipments.with a lot of reading ans a stint@project mgt,i bliv all i need is an extra push an exposure to go full fledged.i ve been following u for years now an it is very eveident i are vast in teleco.pls sir what advice would u giv me and wht chart do u think i can plot.i intend doin a PGD in GIS(i finishd wit 3RD class.that my course for a school like ife na die bros!lol) cos my research gave me a bit of an insight into d application of GIS in telco.pls respond asap
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by AjanleKoko: 2:09pm On Sep 05, 2011
soulamanne:

@ajalenkoko, with a degree in engineering physics,i first cut my teeth with a firm specialized in fibre optics design and deployment.they also do training in this line.added to this.they do LAN and radio stuffs so i had the basics of cisco routers and switches.what really caught my fancy in all these was fibre optics.i had a trainin in it and  a certification called CFOT.a bit hands on on fibre equipments like splicers,OTDR,patch panels.my employer was not ready to take d full risk of lettting me handle d equipments.with a lot of reading ans a stint@project mgt,i bliv all i need is an extra push an exposure to go full fledged.i ve been following u for years now an it is very eveident i are vast in teleco.pls sir what advice would u giv me and wht chart do u think i can plot.i intend doin a PGD in GIS(i finishd wit  3RD class.that my course for a school like ife na die bros!lol) cos my research gave me a bit of an insight into d application of GIS in telco.pls respond asap

GIS in itself is generic and broad. Go for a PGD and Msc in telecom engineering.

As regards where GIS is applicable in telecom . . . I'd say in geo-marketing and Radio-Frequency (RF) planning. Geo-marketing is not really practiced per se in Nigeria, I daresay. It's the application of cluster-based targeted marketing to telecoms. RF Planners use GIS technologies to plan coverage density.

usuf.saeed:

Thanks.

Start making a list of all telecom operators and service providers. Telecom operators you probably know already, the likes of MTN, Airtel, Etisalat, Glo, Starcomms, etc. Service Providers are Alcatel Lucent, Nokia Siemens, Ericsson, Huawei, ZTE, etc. Go online and search for their websites, and physically or otherwise, ensure your CV gets to them. Make sure you network very well, find out who knows anybody who works in any of those companies.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by mbulela: 9:01am On Sep 06, 2011
@usuf.saheed,
in addition to what Ajanlekoko said,i would advice you look at all these contracting firms that work for operators and vendors.
these companies build sites,do qaulity assurance tests (benchmark drive tests), integrate built sites and maintain power infrastructure.
the bulk of hard work in the industry are being done by these small contracting firms and you should not discount the opportunities for knowledge and learning that they bring.Operators and vendors are continually seeking experienced hands to manage projects and act as interfaces with these firms,hence experience gained from these small firms count a great deal.
these firms pay peanuts and work you hard but they will open doors for a fresher like you.
there is more supply than demand in the industry,hence even with connections,you still need God's favour.
Do your part.ask questions at every new telecom site you see being built in your area.find out the name of the company,where their office is and who the contact person is.Knock on such doors and you never can tell.
All the best.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by mbulela: 10:57am On Sep 06, 2011
@usuf.saheed,
in addition to what Ajanlekoko said,i would advice you look at all these contracting firms that work for operators and vendors.
these companies build sites,do qaulity assurance tests (benchmark drive tests), integrate built sites and maintain power infrastructure.
the bulk of hard work in the industry are being done by these small contracting firms and you should not discount the opportunities for knowledge and learning that they bring.Operators and vendors are continually seeking experienced hands to manage projects and act as interfaces with these firms,hence experience gained from these small firms count a great deal.
these firms pay peanuts and work you hard but they will open doors for a fresher like you.
there is more supply than demand in the industry,hence even with connections,you still need God's favour.
Do your part.ask questions at every new telecom site you see being built in your area.find out the name of the company,where their office is and who the contact person is.Knock on such doors and you never can tell.
All the best.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by segunjowo(m): 1:03pm On Sep 08, 2011
mbulela:

@usuf.saheed,
All the best.

Please I will like to know what i can do with my MCP/MCSE. I will like to know if i can go for internship in any company so i can sharpen my skills. and also to know where to go.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Nobody: 8:35am On Sep 10, 2011
hello nairalanders. Pls i need ur advice. I just graduated and i want to start d rase in telecom and networking. I want to go for CCNA exam. Pls i need detail about the exam the cost and where to get the form. If there is other networking exam i can do pls tell me. Thanks
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by nostain18(f): 11:37am On Sep 22, 2011
Pls i need someond to hlp me wit a year I T

(1) (2) (3) ... (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) ... (32) (Reply)

How To Calculate Your New Salary Based On New National Minimum Wage: Photo / Biochemistry Vs Microbiology: Which One Has More Job Opportunities In Nigeria? / Meet Abdullahi Lawal, EFCC Official Who Rejected N100M Bribe From Chinese

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.