Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,334 members, 7,811,974 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:29 AM

Telecommunications Professionals Zone - Career (19) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Telecommunications Professionals Zone (112470 Views)

PGD In Eng(electronic &telecommunication) & Msc Physics Telecommunications / Human Resource Professionals: / Cwna & Telecommunications (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (32) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by castrokins(m): 1:53pm On Sep 30, 2011
Well, I am a beginner who's interest in I.T grows above my age. I have been in touch with computers since 2002, but I have not had any formal training, though have worked at various levels with the computer, basically computer appreciation, softwares, microsoft and other basic packages. I reckon i can have a mentor here. I studied for Diploma in Marine Science and graduated last year from the University of Calabar but my heart is in I.T. Someone help please. nsikanumanah@yahoo.com, 08036257081 and BBM: 239ED139. thanks to my prospective mentor
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by AjanleKoko: 6:38pm On Sep 30, 2011
You don't need any mentor. The Internet is as good a mentor as you can have.
Just find out what is happening as per IT trends, and move aggressively into the area of specialization you desire.

I always ask people to start from CompTIA A+ certification. That will put your feet firmly into the basics, and you can have a much better appreciation of IT from the hardware perspective. Then you can decide what next.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by father89: 5:03pm On Oct 01, 2011
This is a very informative forum. I'm new here. I Just graduated from electrical/electronics engineering in a Nigerian university based in the south east. I majored in telecommunications. I want to ask what is the Future of RF/microwave engineering in nigeria. Also between UK and GERMAN universities, which is more better in terms of telecommunications Technical teaching for Postgraduate studies. PLEASE REPLY. Thank Your in terms of telecommunications Technical teaching for Postgraduate studies. PLEASE REPLY. Thank You
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by dip0: 11:47am On Oct 07, 2011
@ Ajanlekoko

I just passed my ccna exams and intend to proceed to get CCNP verified. I know the ccnp is divided in some specializations like voice et al. From your knowledge of the demand of the communications industry in Nigeria, which of the specializations would you advice one to go into?
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by AjanleKoko: 4:58pm On Oct 07, 2011
dip0:

@ Ajanlekoko

I just passed my ccna exams and intend to proceed to get CCNP verified. I know the ccnp is divided in some specializations like voice et al. From your knowledge of the demand of the communications industry in Nigeria, which of the specializations would you advice one to go into?

I think data services are on the rise right now.
I'd advise you go for the IP track, CCIP I think it is called.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by father89: 12:43pm On Oct 08, 2011
@ Ajalenkoko.

This is a very informative forum.
I'm new here. I Just graduated
from electrical/electronics
engineering in a Nigerian
university based in the south
east. I majored in
telecommunications. I want to
ask what is the Future of RF/
microwave engineering in
nigeria. Also between UK and
GERMAN universities, which is
more better in terms of
telecommunications Technical
teaching for Postgraduate
studies. PLEASE REPLY. Thank You
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by dip0: 6:50pm On Oct 09, 2011
AjanleKoko:

I think data services are on the rise right now.
I'd advise you go for the IP track, CCIP I think it is called.

Thank You.

I've being looking around and it seems the telecoms industry's need for RF engineers both locally and outside the shores of Nigeria is on the rise. Does getting a CCIP qualification have a lot to do with this position (RF Engineer) or one should rather study Telecommunication Engineering (At MSc level in my case because I already hold a BSc in Computer Science)
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by AjanleKoko: 12:17am On Oct 10, 2011
dip0:

Thank You.

I've being looking around and it seems the telecoms industry's need for RF engineers both locally and outside the shores of Nigeria is on the rise. Does getting a CCIP qualification have a lot to do with this position (RF Engineer) or one should rather study Telecommunication Engineering (At MSc level in my case because I already hold a BSc in Computer Science)

You don't necessarily need to do a masters to break into the industry.
You probably can find some course somewhere, maybe in India, on RF engineering. Then you need to break into local companies that work with wireless and RF tech.

But if you want to do a masters, why not?
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by dady2011(m): 6:25am On Oct 10, 2011
RF Engineering in the wireless telecommunications industry involves the design, optimization and performance analysis of a Radio Access Network (including Microwave link). As an RF Engineer, you may be working on one or more of the following network:

> 2G network:  - e.g CDMA (IS-95), GSM;
> 2.5G network:  - e.g cdma2000, GSM/GPRS/EDGE;
> 3G network: - e.g  EVDO, HSPA;
> 4G network: - e.g  WLAN, WiMAX, LTE (All IP Centric); and
> LMR:  - e.g P25,Tetra (Public Safety Network).

Do you need Cisco certification to function as an RF Engineer in any one of the above network?. The answer is, it depends on which specific RF Engineering task you will be involved in. Wireless network are migrating to all IP centric platform using cisco equipment, so a cisco certification is a MUST have if you will be doing networking and system configuration - configuring Routers, switches etc. However, if your task is purely RF network design, planning and/or optimization, a cisco certification is generally not needed. What you need is a very good understanding of RF network design, Planning and Optimization and how to use the RF design tool to do a number of RF engineering task including coverage design, frequency planning, microwave path analysis etc. depending on your specific interest and work responsibility.

A Masters degree is good to have if you can afford it, but not necessary. You absolutely need a Bachelor's degree in Engineering or related field with some years of RF engineering experience (if you have no hands on experience, learn the theories online). You will also need to keep your telecommunications knowledge current to remain relevant in the field.

Depending on the Country that you are practicing in (different countries have different rule), you may be required to write and pass some prescribe examination with some years of experience before you can be allowed to legally use the title "Engineer" or "RF Engineer".
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by dady2011(m): 3:30pm On Oct 10, 2011
If you have not had the opportunity to gain some valuable hands on RF Engineering experience during your undergraduate IT/NYSC days, you still can do so by volunteering (with or without pay) for a telecom company that you would like to work for. Doing this will set you apart and help get your foot in the door of that company without any serious competition.

Volunteering will increase your chances of landing a Job by over 60% compare to your peers who will be looking for advert before they can apply or contacting HR who typicall will tell you that there is no vacancy, collect your CV and you never hear from them again.

Please note:

> When a position become open, the team is usually the first to know, if anyone can identify a suitable candidate to fill the position, the manager will most likely interview that candidate and offer the Job if you qualify without advert on the company website or on newspapers

> You will need to identify the hiring Manager in the RF Engineering department that you plan to work, set up an information interview with him/her to discuss how you can help add value to his/her team through volunteering your time. Do not beg him/her, do not appear despirate, Just be calm and handle the meeting as if it is a real interview. You never can tell, your information interview might just become a real interview where the manager now start interviewing you for an open position.

> Reseach online to be familiar with some RF Engineering theories and the company in general before talking to the hiring manager to show your interest.

> You will typically have to learn how to make a cold call to a potential hiring manager to set up an information interview - look online for how to do this.

Good luck

1 Like

Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by jerikoyan(m): 2:59am On Oct 13, 2011
PLEASE I NEED SOMEONE WHO IS INTO GIS IN TELECOME OR OIL SECTOR
am an undergraduate geography student.part 3.i know a bit of argis and qgis, i need someone who is into the field so that we can share ideals my mail is jerikoyan@yahoo.com.THANKS
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by dipo1: 10:34am On Oct 15, 2011
dady2011:

If you have not had the opportunity to gain some valuable hands on RF Engineering experience during your undergraduate IT/NYSC days, you still can do so by volunteering (with or without pay) for a telecom company that you would like to work for. Doing this will set you apart and help get your foot in the door of that company without any serious competition.

Volunteering will increase your chances of landing a Job by over 60% compare to your peers who will be looking for advert before they can apply or contacting HR who typicall will tell you that there is no vacancy, collect your CV and you never hear from them again.

Please note:

> When a position become open, the team is usually the first to know, if anyone can identify a suitable candidate to fill the position, the manager will most likely interview that candidate and offer the Job if you qualify without advert on the company website or on newspapers

> You will need to identify the hiring Manager in the RF Engineering department that you plan to work, set up an information interview with him/her to discuss how you can help add value to his/her team through volunteering your time. Do not beg him/her, do not appear despirate, Just be calm and handle the meeting as if it is a real interview. You never can tell, your information interview might just become a real interview where the manager now start interviewing you for an open position.

> Reseach online to be familiar with some RF Engineering theories and the company in general before talking to the hiring manager to show your interest.

> You will typically have to learn how to make a cold call to a potential hiring manager to set up an information interview - look online for how to do this.

Good luck

Thank You, sir
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by neonet(m): 1:47pm On Oct 18, 2011
GET TRAINED ON MICROWAVE RADIO/BTS NODE B PLANNING, INSTALLATION, COMMISSIONING/O&M AND DWDM/OPTICAL SWITCH NODES INSTALLATIONS/O&M. AT THE END OF THE TRAINING, YOU WILL BE CONNECTED TO EMPLOYERS IN THE TELECOMS SECTOR.LIKE MTN,GLO,HUAWEI,ZTE,AIRTEL,VISAPHONE,ASTERA,ZOOM,VDT,CPNL,ERICSSON,NOKIA-SIEMENS ETC. WE HAVE CONNECTIONS!!!!!
WE HAVE LIVE EQUIPMENTS THAT YOU CAN PLAY AROUND WITH:
1. ERICSSON 2000 SERIES
2. ERICSSON MINILINK E & TRAFFIC NODES
3. ERICSSON TELLABS 6370 DWDM
4. ERICSSON TELLABS 6350 SWITCH NODE
5. NORTEL BTS
6. HARRIS STRATEX 155 MICROWAVE RADIO
7. CDMA BTS
8. SAF MICROWAVE RADIO
YOU CAN ALSO LEARN HOW TO CLEAR FAULT ALARMS ON ANY OF THE ABOVE MENTIONED NODES, AT THE END OF THE TRAINING, YOU WILL GO HOME WITH 45MINS TRAINING VIDEO ON ALL OF THE EQUIPMENT, SOFT COPY OF ALL THE EQUIPMENT MENTIONED ABOVE.FREE MANUALS ON OTHER EQUIPMENT TOO, LIKE NOKIA-SIEMENS SRT1F AND SRA4, HARRIS MEGASTER AND TRUEPOINT 4000 /5000, NERA EVOLUTION SERIES, ALCATEL MRT155 ETC.
MOREOVER, YOU WILL WORK ON LIVE NETWORKS WITH COMPETENT FIELD ENGINEERS ON WEEKENDS LIKE SATURDAYS AND SUNDAYS.FOR MORE INFO,SEND A MAIL TO NEONET4NEONET@GMAIL.COM
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by sleekcm(m): 7:38pm On Oct 24, 2011
Thanks for this thread AjanleKoko. Your replies for 2 straight years is commendable. I studied Physics/Electronics at Nnamdi Azikiwe University. I got CCNA march 2010 but haven't really progressed to CCNP as i would have wanted. I work with Glo as a fixed contract staff and have seriously been thinking about quiting as the pay is poor and the job leaves me no time for further development. Am interested in building a strong career in telecoms,so what steps do you think i should take? Awaiting your response Senior Engineer.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by okoorisha: 3:07pm On Nov 01, 2011
hi moderator,
pls what are your indices for moving a topic to another heading. i started a topic and you moved it, well its ok, just trying to rake my head on why you did so.i forgot you are the lord of the manor, i wish you well,
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by yamakuza: 3:39pm On Nov 01, 2011
oko orisha:

hi moderator,
pls what are your indices for moving a topic to another heading. i started a topic and you moved it, well its ok, just trying to rake my head on why you did so.i forgot  you are the lord of the manor, i wish you well,

I moved it.

All training ads are supposed to be made under Certification and Training Ads subsection.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by AjanleKoko: 5:00pm On Nov 01, 2011
sleekcm:

Thanks for this thread AjanleKoko. Your replies for 2 straight years is commendable. I studied Physics/Electronics at Nnamdi Azikiwe University. I got CCNA march 2010 but haven't really progressed to CCNP as i would have wanted. I work with Glo as a fixed contract staff and have seriously been thinking about quiting as the pay is poor and the job leaves me no time for further development. Am interested in building a strong career in telecoms,so what steps do you think i should take? Awaiting your response Senior Engineer.

CCNA is a good certification track only if you are planning to focus on the IP internetworking track, especially in these days of 3G and LTE. If your career focus is the packet-switched core network layer, then it makes sense.

It's good you have a job already in telecom, albeit a contract job. If the job with Glo is in line with your career objectives, I'd advise you stick with it, and use it as a good leverage to pursue the type of job you want in the industry. Though it sounds like you are in Glo fixed. Am I right? Are you in the central office (core network) or on the field?
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by sleekcm(m): 5:19pm On Nov 01, 2011
Am in Glo World. It's been over a year now and there are no indications as to what glo plans to do about our status. Am seriously looking out for better opportunities. Thanks a million for your advice, you are a good man.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by okoorisha: 9:59am On Nov 02, 2011
I moved it.

All training ads are supposed to be made under Certification and Training Ads subsection

thanks, have a good day
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Favben(m): 2:58pm On Nov 07, 2011
Quite revealing, giving a lot of insight. Thanks for sharing
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by spoilerx: 11:45am On Nov 21, 2011
Good day people , I am an elect/elect grad 2010, finished serving , am thinking of going 4 telecom training @ ttcmobile, it costs about 150k, please has anyone heard of them or studied there ? Is it a wise decision ? Thank u so much
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by BCuZiMBlaCk(m): 9:35am On Nov 22, 2011
Never heard of them but others might
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by spoilerx: 12:09pm On Nov 22, 2011
Apart from ttcmobile does anyone know about any other telecoms training school ? Please
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by larion: 6:41pm On Nov 22, 2011
@spoilerx n odas interested
hmmmmn ***clears throat***

ttcmobile, i am a graduate of ttcmobile, i was with dem last summer last year, i did transmission n RF with dem, as far as nigeria is concerned, dey r d best, take my world 4 it, not even now dat dey av introduced WiMAX, u'll get value 4 ur money, but if u can add btw 500 - 550k to dat 150k shocked ( i knw dats much) u can come 2 india, convergence labs 2 b specific, i learnt abt d skool on dis very thread 2, m a regular visitor 2 dis thread, i come in as invisible, wit 700k, u go finish work 4 india,,

apart frm convergence wc has got a fee of abt 180k for 6months telecom training, u will also go 2 ZOOM (anoda skool) there will take courses like, ccna, mcitp, linux, exachange server, hardaware n networking plus including ccnp for around 60k, and dont even go there, d quality of d lecture is superb, zoom has proved ova time 2 b dis best in hyderabad, i've gained so much frm dis thread, in fact it is d bedrock of my yet 2 begin telecom career, so c me as just giving back, take all my words 4 it, and yes, i am talking frm experience, 2moro my morning lecture is @ convergence and my afternoon lecture is @ zoom, so i am talking frm wat i go thru nt wat i am told, i dont knw d owner of zoom n i dont knw d owner convergence so dont c me as marketing, cool, @ convergence u will do course like:
>>Communication basics, SS7, GSM, 2G, 3G, LTE, Linux, CDMA, UTMS, TEMS drive test, Wimax, Edge, bla, bla, bla
u can check their site @ www.convergence-labs.com, its a total package in one
india is nt a fun place 2 live, we here keep thinking of wen 2 return home, but as 4 d training, its got no rival,

getting here cld b a little bottle neck, d embassy cld 4strate u, surviving here after arrival cld b worse, but i cld help u out, and dont make any mistake, u DONT get 2 pay me 1 naira b4 d processing 2 get here, and even after ur arrival and later survival, u DONT also get 2 pay me 1 naira or is it rupees dis time, so let no one think i am marketing 4 my interest,

, but if india is nt an option, like i said, i am a graduate cheesy of ttcmobile and they will do just enough 2 get u grounded, u will actually work with live microwave antennas and access point during ur practical, dey av a working BTS (nt sure of d brand now) 4 GSM practical, and u will surely pick something great frm dem though u've got some hype on their website, but once again, dey r d best as far as nigeria is concern, i've nt bin 2 odas but i av ppl who av bin there so i @ least enuff 2 say so,

no matter wat, going 2 telecom training skools will give u theory and d foundation, dey will only try their best possible 2 give u practicals ( even wit convergence labs here in india) wc can neva b like actually working or doing internship with a teleco, but how can u get d chance 4 intern wen u av no knowledge of telecom, d computer science, physics n electrical electronic as got little or nothing 2 do with telecoms, so in d long run, telecom training skools r nt a waste of money in my opinion, just make sure u get one dat can give u value 4 money,
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by larion: 6:54pm On Nov 22, 2011
ok! i knw more dan enuff 2 drop my email on naira land, m still battling wit spams on my backbone email address after i dropped it here 2 collect dumps frm some1 dat was probably marketing 2 get money sad, cos of dat i wont even drop my num, but if u wanna connect wit me, , i dont knw how u will do dat

dont also 4get dat i dont intend 2 gain 1 naira or 1 rupee frm any1 by offering assistance, we nigerians av d habit of seeing help as scams ( i dont blame us anyway), but 4 now i am funded by my parents and i doubt if i will result 2 scams as make up if i think i am nt getting enuff frm dem
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by yamakuza: 7:36pm On Nov 22, 2011
^ i second your opinion on TTC and ZOOM.

U can drop your email with spaces and dot, or spoilerx can drop his.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by spoilerx: 7:55pm On Nov 22, 2011
@larion. Thank you very much! God bless ! Should be off 2 ttcmobile !
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by spoilerx: 7:57pm On Nov 22, 2011
Thanks guys
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by ayox2003: 7:58am On Nov 26, 2011
ok
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by tinnymerit(m): 8:48pm On Nov 27, 2011
@ larion need to get to convergence n zoomgroup but considering on entering tru aptech- education.wat do u tink.u can add me on fb,tinnymerit@yahoo.com.safe.

(1) (2) (3) ... (16) (17) (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) ... (32) (Reply)

Biochemistry Vs Microbiology: Which One Has More Job Opportunities In Nigeria? / Meet Abdullahi Lawal, EFCC Official Who Rejected N100M Bribe From Chinese / The Nigerian Army Salary Structure: How Much Is A Nigerian Soldier Paid?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.