Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,947 members, 7,828,320 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:24 AM

Telecommunications Professionals Zone - Career (21) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Telecommunications Professionals Zone (112757 Views)

PGD In Eng(electronic &telecommunication) & Msc Physics Telecommunications / Human Resource Professionals: / Cwna & Telecommunications (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (32) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Nobody: 8:16am On Feb 17, 2012
@Ayox2003

What job role are u being offered at both places?, IMO Alcatel will give u a deeper understanding of Telco because in ALU there are really no set boundaries so you have an opportunity to learn a bit of every other area and understand the interoperability, Also ALu has better working conditions and there's a fresh air of freedom but for Huawei  i cant say same, Huawei no doubts has more projects but u would get less skill sets working there especially in RF not also forgetting the fact that they try to hide a lot of things from the locals.

Perhaps i will give u a better analysis if u'd tell the job role u are being offered
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by larion: 9:15am On Feb 17, 2012
To d gist of huawei n ALU, ll just give my veiw frm my perspective, I might b wrong, if so I employ d guru's 2 set d correct so we all can benefit, here is my 2kobo!
In d next 3months I shld b droping in2 d country n d next day ll b going 2 VI, adeola odeku street, u knw wats up, HUAWEI,

ll neva trade a job in dt company for any oda,@ least for now, nt even a bumper package frm etisalat or mtn will make me do so, I learnt they use their staffs like rags n don't pay well but WTF, m just 23 if I don't work like crazy now? Wen do I want to do so, by 45? hell NO! by den I wanna b a consultant in d telecom industry n my efficiency den will b as a result of how many problems, scenarios n cases I v seen n solved wc will count as experience n guess wat, I don't think there's a company dt provides such challenges for now like huawei, let huawei take me to abuja on monday, kano on tuesday, PH on thursday, like dt, like dt,

let me wake in d middle of d nite trying to imagine how to go abt a problem with on RNC or Node B, let me v to read like m preparing for JAMB because I v 2 fig out d technical n configuration diff btw HSPA+, LTE n WiMAX, dts d kind of life I wanna live in d next 3yrs n frm my perspective I don't think anybody will afford me d opportunity beta Dan huawei,

surely I v a problem wit wat m hearing abt their salary n we will v to talk seriously abt dt cos m nt among d pple dt do say they r nt in for moni (no offence intended), m rili in for cash, u might wonder y I love huawei, its simply cos I feel dey roll out more new jobs, if u go to ALU u might end up doing more of operations n maintenance as I doubt if dey will v lotta new jobs, how many operators n service providers give new jobs to dem ALU, Eric, NSN in Africa, middle east n Asia, so for me, FOR NOW, I won't trade huawei for even glo or mtn, of course if ur specialization is core network, its a diff ball game, I am on RAN, UTRAN to b specific nt GRAN, m 2kobo once again.

Corrections frm d pros r welcome, make we freshers learn.

1 Like

Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by oshoki: 7:37pm On Feb 17, 2012
Please am really interested in the telecomms field and dont know were to start from dont understand most of the things you guys re saying please were do i start from and which professional telecomms certs do i need to stand a chance to work in any of this big telecoms company.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by ayox2003: 4:46am On Feb 18, 2012
bLacK GoLd:

@Ayox2003

What job role are u being offered at both places?, IMO Alcatel will give u a deeper understanding of Telco because in ALU there are really no set boundaries so you have an opportunity to learn a bit of every other area and understand the interoperability, Also ALu has better working conditions and there's a fresh air of freedom but for Huawei  i cant say same, Huawei no doubts has more projects but u would get less skill sets working there especially in RF not also forgetting the fact that they try to hide a lot of things from the locals.
I quite agree with you on that. Infact the first Programme Management Professional (PgMP) in Nigeria works with ALU. He also got his second degree too.
I also heard that the chinese in HWE hide conceal some stuffs from Nigerians through their language.
Honestly I think Bro Salihu is right because it actually depends on what I want and what drives me. HWE is a company that exalts work way above welfare while ALU puts the two at par, atleast.
Interoperability (being versatile) is also a concern here. I really want to have a full dose of most (if not all) departments (excluding admin). And travelling all over the place wont help. What if one starts out with HWE and later move to ALU, is it ok? Passing through ''hell'' to get to ''heaven''. If you know what I mean, just like the guy did as stated in my previous post.

Perhaps i will give u a better analysis if u'd tell the job role u are being offered
I quite agree with you on both. Infact the first Programme Management Professional (PgMP) in Nigeria works with ALU. He also got his second degree too.
I also heard that the chinese in HWE hide conceal some stuffs from Nigerians through their language.
Honestly I think Bro Salihu is right because it actually depends on what I want and what drives me. HWE is a company that exalts work way above welfare while ALU puts the two at par, atleast.
Interoperability (being versatile) is also a concern here. I really want to have a full dose of most (if not all) departments (excluding admin). And travelling all over the place wont help. What if one starts out with HWE and later move to ALU, is it ok? Passing through ''hell'' to get to ''heaven''. If you know what I mean, just like the guy did as stated in my previous post.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by larion: 10:57am On Feb 18, 2012
It seems ayox is diff frm most, he actually has a choice in d labour market, good for u, if u wanna start with HWE n move 2 ALU, I don't think its a bad idea but to me, there nothing compared to d diff scenario u will b subjected to in HWE, ALU can't provide sometin similar n I will b surprised to c dem in biz in Nigeria in d next 10yrs @ dis rate,

As to walfare, I don't think a fresher (sorry u don't knw where u stand) has got any biz with d@ as long as d agreed salary is paid monthly as stipulated, mayb after some yrs wen one is no longer deemed fit to b called a fresher den I cld b time to search for a bigger package, but I sure so knw sometin, if a staff is worth it, & I mean worth it, if wat u offer is one of a kind den any company no matter how bad will fight to keep such staff even if it includes multiplying d so call poor welfare by a considerable amount,

To d issue of travelling, y don't u like it, is it cos of d dear of accident like my mum or cos of boko haram, lol, have u considered d fact dt because of d diff weather condition in lagos, kano, n jos d RNCs, BTSs , BSCs n d likes will b subjected to diff temp (even despite d AC) n give diff problems, diff problems will occur as a result of dense pop in lag n sparse pop in niger, pico n fento cells will n if possible fento cells will b deployed in lag, ph, abj n d likes while macro cells will b found in kastina, diff all give rise to diff configurations, scenarios, problems n troubleshooting techniques, I think I wanna experience it all, u neva knw wat will b useful for u wen u become a consultant, ts just my tots anyway. I might b wrong

To d issue of hiding info, @blackgold, I don't think I understand, mayb u want to shed more light , frm d little dt I knw, info in telecom r majorly divided into two, technologies n hardware info. (nt forgetting dt d hardware also Include softwares 2 drive dis hardware).
with d little I knw dese technologies r d same all over d world, load control is load control, rake receiver is rake receiver, OVSF n scrambling codes r all d same, dese technologies r d same b it with HWE, ALU, ERIC, or even mtn n glo, so any staff who claims dey r hiding such things could just head over to google or take some short term course n, viola, make a small publication abt it n distribute it to all tech staff thereby shaming d Indians n Chinese, its time we let dem knw dey r in our country n dey shld stop forming DON,

D oda part wc is d hardware info can b hidden if dey want as d info is always specific to d company, ZTE used software defined radio (SDR) wc include LMT n Net Numen, if huawei wants to hide there own dey can go ahead afterall such info will nt b relevant wen u move on to ALU, NSN or Eric. , once again, my tots.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by salihuali1(m): 8:36pm On Feb 18, 2012
@ayox2003, I spoke with a friend who just made the switch after having been with HWE for about more than 3 years he's with ALU now and his view is just the same as @blackGold. He's an RF person. The hoarding of knowledge, non-chinese are delegated to the most basic tasks in their field. You need to be real aggressive AND loyal to your boss to be entrusted more responsibility. He says ALU is more work-friendly and encourages teamwork and there's some form of mobility within the region in the company.
Even the expatriates aren't 'tight-minded' (pun intended) and most times are willing to explain technical issues when you ask.
In any case, make the best of whichever one you get, and I don't think interoperability was quite the word you were looking for (I'm scratching my head to find the apt term too) smiley
About "passing through hell to get to heaven", truth is the experience makes you more perceptive and grateful, valuing the little things IF you have an observant mind.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by ayox2003: 4:52am On Feb 19, 2012
I cant but say a big thank you to all those who contributed.
Many thanks to Bro Sahilu, Black gold and Larion.
God bless you all.
**at last** i got it** also good advice**
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by AjanleKoko: 10:31pm On Feb 19, 2012
ayox2003:

Huawei or Alcatel-lucent, house please where would you advice a fresh graduate to work? And why?

If you have the option, don't even try Huawei. You'll learn nothing of value.
ALU is more like it.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by ayox2003: 11:24pm On Feb 19, 2012
^ Thank you Sir. I thought as much. Na wa for HWE o. And they have openings everyday for transmission guys!
No wonder HWE guys move to ALU.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by afrobaby(f): 8:08am On Feb 20, 2012
the position is application support and it's for ITS,not airtel, thx
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Nobody: 8:41am On Feb 20, 2012
@ Ayox2003
I'm glad u got some help here

@ Professionals in the house
Really guys its been on my heart for years to organize a training (4weekends) in different areas of telecoms to help equip our own guys (Nigerians i mean) cos there's a lot of opportunity in Nigeria but because our guys dont even have the basics, you see people from neighboring countries snapping up these positions.
Anyway, its going to be FREE but i'm only an RF Guy with a little bit of every other area so would need other guys in house and elsewhere to help out, just our own little way of making things better
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by salihuali1(m): 9:10am On Feb 20, 2012
^^
@bLacK GoLd , I'm interested and I'd like us to chat about that.
Tried doing something like that many pages ago on this same thread.
Adding you on Y! IM
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by ayox2003: 10:46am On Feb 20, 2012
bLacK GoLd:

@ Ayox2003
I'm glad u got some help here

Really guys its been on my heart for years to organize a training (4weekends) in different areas of telecoms to help equip our own guys (Nigerians i mean) cos there's a lot of opportunity in Nigeria but because our guys dont even have the basics, you see people from neighboring countries snapping up these positions.
Anyway, its going to be FREE but i'm only an RF Guy with a little bit of every other area so would need other guys in house and elsewhere to help out, just our own little way of making things better

Thanks in anticipation! You and Bro Salihu would definitely make a good combination. I hope more pros come to the scene. Thanks again.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by larion: 4:02am On Feb 21, 2012
n now oga ajanlekoko has joined d league of dose against huawei, together with salihu you two v bin d backbone of my career (no kidding) , now u r saying d coy m anticipating to latch to is nt worth it, mayb u pple wanna share more info cos I don't c ALU rolling out half of d jobs HWE will roll out, I also v a feeling dt newer jobs will give fresher more learning opportunity dan O&M, I might b wrong so elders plz give ur advice b4 I join d wrong train, as 4 d weekend training, anyway I can contribute n benefit, m surely in, u pple shld keep us in d know abeg,
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by salihuali1(m): 2:20pm On Feb 21, 2012
larion:

n now oga ajanlekoko has joined d league of dose against huawei, together with salihu you two v bin d backbone of my career (no kidding) , now u r saying d coy m anticipating to latch to is nt worth it, mayb u pple wanna share more info cos I don't c ALU rolling out half of d jobs HWE will roll out, I also v a feeling dt newer jobs will give fresher more learning opportunity dan O&M, I might b wrong so elders plz give ur advice b4 I join d wrong train, as 4 d weekend training, anyway I can contribute n benefit, m surely in, u pple shld keep us in d know abeg,

Hi Larion,
To be objective there's no "league of those against HWE". Your career is first about you before it is about the company you work for. It's about your willingness to learn and to keep improving yourself to bring incremental value time and again.
Work environment will vary. Adaptability is key in that regard.
The premise for the opinion offered is based on observation and people's personal experience.
As per the rollout of fresh projects against 'boring' O&M, well, my opinion is have a solid theoretical grounding first. IMHO, let's put first things first. If you get HWE take it, if you get ALU take it, if you get to be the Network Technician in your aunt's two-PC cyber cafe , take it, and make the best of it.
If you get to be able to make the choice ,  make the best informed decision.
Hope this helps.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by AjanleKoko: 10:37am On Feb 22, 2012
larion:

Dude,
Trust me when I say, ALU will trump Huawei if you really want to learn something.
Huawei are good, but their tech is not transparent, and they don't comply to global standards in my view. If you need good telecom exposure, Huawei is not the place for you. ALU will expose you right in the field, and they empower Nigerians much more than Huawei who keep bringing in armies of chinamen to do every little thing.

Both of them are my vendors, so I am very familiar with both companies.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Nobody: 7:20pm On Feb 22, 2012
@ Salihu_ali
Sorry the chat was kind of slow which was due to poor connectivity on my phone, anyway we could chat on gmail which i use more often.

@ Ajanlekoko
You seem to have an in-depth knowledge of the industry, You sound Yellowish though wink , looking to learn and also carry some load for you here as i see you have been doing a great job for years now.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by sunshinemi: 9:49pm On Feb 23, 2012
any core network engineers in the house? smiley
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by lummi(f): 6:59am On Feb 26, 2012
bLacK GoLd:

ah i'll be quite interested in this! you knowledgeable folks should please put something together
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Nobody: 2:53pm On Feb 27, 2012
Could please tell me what is the latest professional certification in Telecoms for an individual.

Regards.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Nobody: 5:28pm On Feb 27, 2012
@Sunshineme
Welcome ma'am, I do a bit of Core(especially audits), What equipment are you working on?

@Lummi
I hope more people here will show some interest, However, keep in mind that it won't necessarily be a free ride as there would be some pre-qualification screening to keep the crowd in check.

@Kunletiwoo
"Latest professional certification for an individual", I always advise people to avoid taking or following the train if they don't have or know their stop station, anyway most of the certs available (such as CCNA, CCNP, NRS-->Alcatel)are geared towards the IP area of telecoms but for most other areas such as RF, Transmission, Core Network .e.t.c you would need hands-on experience.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Nobody: 5:40pm On Feb 27, 2012
@ Black Gold

Thank you so much i really appreciate you, and your prompt response. Well i"m currently working with Netcom Africa, just i recently diverted from Computer Programming to Telecoms. and since diversity is the beauty of IT, so that was the reason why i asked so as to push forward and stand out among my peers Thanks once again,

Regards.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Johnpaul2k2(m): 2:01pm On Feb 28, 2012
Do Anybody has CCNA Network Visualizer 6.0 Activator or Crack Key
Please help me oooo

Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by missonary12: 10:47am On Feb 29, 2012
@bLacK GoLd
Pls,am interested in the wkend training, my yahoo id is legacy4sure@yahoo.com.
keep me informed about this traning.
thanks.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by larion: 3:29pm On Feb 29, 2012
bros salihu n oga ajanlekoko r among dose dt brought me dis far & now dey v spoken again so I v decided to destroy my huawei prepared CV n v edited it for ALU though I still v some love 4 dt Chinese firm, lol, now to a question I v asked b4 but didn't get reply, oga ajalenkoko n oda pros, I will like to knw d various tech sections in d telecom world n their operations, I knw d core network, radio access network, RF n transmission, are there more to dese if yes, what oda once and PLEASE wat do dey do, as in operations dey carry out, yes I knw u r all busy n this might take sometime to answer buh pls help in any way u can even if its a link, trust me I've done google on it buh norring tangible, I rili need dis info to knw where to specialize, its a tasking response buh pls help in any way u can, m trying to visualize wats inside briefly b4 getting in, don't call me Oliver but it will also b good if we freshers can get d order of importance of various dept to telecom it general so we can awoid a dept dt is not of much importance wc will v high num of lay off in case some 'shabalaba' happens in d telecom industry, I hope some1 trying to give reply understands wat I mean,
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by AjanleKoko: 4:27pm On Feb 29, 2012
larion:

bros salihu n oga ajanlekoko r among dose dt brought me dis far & now dey v spoken again so I v decided to destroy my huawei prepared CV n v edited it for ALU though I still v some love 4 dt Chinese firm, lol, now to a question I v asked b4 but didn't get reply, oga ajalenkoko n oda pros, I will like to knw d various tech sections in d telecom world n their operations, I knw d core network, radio access network, RF n transmission, are there more to dese if yes, what oda once and PLEASE wat do dey do, as in operations dey carry out, yes I knw u r all busy n this might take sometime to answer buh pls help in any way u can even if its a link, trust me I've done google on it buh norring tangible, I rili need dis info to knw where to specialize, its a tasking response buh pls help in any way u can, m trying to visualize wats inside briefly b4 getting in, don't call me Oliver but it will also b good if we freshers can get d order of importance of various dept to telecom it general so we can awoid a dept dt is not of much importance wc will v high num of lay off in case some 'shabalaba' happens in d telecom industry, I hope some1 trying to give reply understands wat I mean,

So it's not like you have both options on the table sef undecided
You just dey wind us like wristwatch angry In fact, I won't answer that your question tongue
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by larion: 5:42pm On Feb 29, 2012
Okebadan Dahunsi oooooo, options on d table ke, no its not me dt said so oooooo, I think it was ayo dt said so den I came into d picture confessing my love for huawei, I remember saying sometin like once I come around I will go n drop my cv with huawei, bros u don too busy with telecom u no follow d thread well again, if u read ds last thread in full n c my last 4-5 post u will see dt I didn't even insinuate dt I had options na AY abi some1 else talk sometin like dt, me still dey Hyderabad on studies @ convergence labs n I spent d last 3weeks in Bangalore @ ZTE research, development n training lab, n infact I am planning to write their exam in 2weeks time wc will make me a ZTE certified 3G engineer, so u see, m still a fresh mint fresher, y I to cum dey whine d house say I get offer wen I nor get, I nor fit do dt kind tin now, in fact bros I knw say u busy but take small time read my previous post to confirm dt I didn't insinuate sometin like dt, na AY get oooooo, o ya bros, my questionS
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by larion: 11:13am On Mar 05, 2012
cry so oga ajalenkoko wasnt joking wen he said he wasnt gonna answer my question, na wa oooooooo, seriously i didnt say i had options on d table,,
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by ayox2003: 3:33pm On Mar 05, 2012
@^ So my question has prevented you from getting answers to yours. Eeyah.
Pros, Larion didnt ask those questions. I did.
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by dipo1: 7:49am On Mar 07, 2012
bLacK GoLd:

@Sunshineme
Welcome ma'am, I do a bit of Core(especially audits), What equipment are you working on?

@Lummi
I hope more people here will show some interest, However, keep in mind that it won't necessarily be a free ride as there would be some pre-qualification screening to keep the crowd in check.

@Kunletiwoo
"Latest professional certification for an individual", I always advise people to avoid taking or following the train if they don't have or know their stop station, anyway most of the certs available (such as CCNA, CCNP, NRS-->Alcatel)are geared towards the IP area of telecoms but for most other areas such as RF, Transmission, Core Network .e.t.c you would need hands-on experience.

I've been loggin in/out to see any updates about your proposed training. I am interested and will like to be informed as developments arise
waleshow@hotmail.com
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Nobody: 2:43pm On Mar 07, 2012
dipo+:

I've been loggin in/out to see any updates about your proposed training. I am interested and will like to be informed as developments arise
waleshow@hotmail.com

Searching/Waiting for more volunteers
Re: Telecommunications Professionals Zone by Aks(m): 5:28pm On Mar 07, 2012
@ Larion, I'll appreciate if you can give me more info on the training at convergence lab\Zoom tech in india as I'm planning to hit d ground running there by June. I've sent them mail on clarication on some stuffs and they've gotten back to me b4 jamming this thread on nairaland. I'll apprec if you can drop a mail for me at tireni2011@gmail.com inorder to hook up with you.

@ others- thanks for the knowledge shared

Thank you,

(1) (2) (3) ... (18) (19) (20) (21) (22) (23) (24) ... (32) (Reply)

How To Calculate Your New Salary Based On New National Minimum Wage: Photo / Biochemistry Vs Microbiology: Which One Has More Job Opportunities In Nigeria? / Meet Abdullahi Lawal, EFCC Official Who Rejected N100M Bribe From Chinese

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.