Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,839 members, 7,813,801 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:37 PM

Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? - Family (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? (102427 Views)

My Pregnant Girlfriend Wants Abortion. How Do I Convince Her To Keep It? / My Pregnant Wife Now Hates Me! Please Help!!! / Help! My Pregnant Wife Is Acting Strange! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by kayemdy: 6:26am On Feb 02, 2016
repogirl:
She can take anything she wants to take, even lipton or Milo.
It does nothing to affect the baby but still she should take it in moderation as too much sugar can make a woman prone to gestational diabetes, which can lead to other complications.

Some people say, the baby can become too big, my mom also told me same thing but I confirmed personally from a doctor that it's just an old wives tale. Only genetics can determine if the child will be big or not.

So please advice your wife to take milo in moderation, maybe take less amount than she usually would. Encourage her to eat plenty of leafy vegetables, tomatoes and fresh fish.

Seriously gestational diabetes GDM causes macrosomia(big baby literarily)......in GDM there is excessive insulin due to insulin resistance in pregnancy... The excess insulin stimulates the insulin like growth factors causing excessive growth

Genetic factors too is a strong determinant

As much as u can avoid diabetes in pregnancy

1 Like

Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by blesoh(f): 6:28am On Feb 02, 2016
Op, I have two kids and throughout the period I usually take tea except days that I throw up. I don't see any thing wrong.
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by abeniagbon(m): 6:55am On Feb 02, 2016
Rukemi291:
Egbami ooooo. abeniagbon.....hian.

Questions for you.
Do u have a wife that has used this your 'remedy' for whatever before?
Are you a health practitioner?

OP you will get enough advise. Just sieve and choose.

Go and ask your doctor. Only if he doesn't read well. He will say its no correct. For instance she can take decaffeinated coffee. While some woman says dry gin like chelsea helps them a lot to make her child look fresh . Wateva . When I heard this first its sound weird to me. Another woman confirm it saying its good. Somes says raw fruits.
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by nuelyoyo(m): 7:02am On Feb 02, 2016
Orente21:
Pls visit the pregnant women thread on health sectn. U ll met experience mums,nurses and doctors. Safe delivery 2ur wife
*Singing* e ba mi ki orente, orente o, iyawo mi orente.
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by drnoel: 7:17am On Feb 02, 2016
DesChyko:

I was quick to point this out to my partner and after inquiries, she let me understand that there are certain benefits that come with tea which Milo (and others) doesn't provide. She mentioned helping against morning sickness, containing some essential nutrients and labour-related benefits.

Like what? The nurses are wrong. The levels of caffeine in Milo is small to worry much about as long as she does not drink a whole tin a day. I will advice her to return back to milo though she she can also look for ther types of teas. Lipton yellow label is black tea and they have large doses of caffeine. Its not what a pregnant woman would want to have cravings on.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by Cleodesign123(f): 7:24am On Feb 02, 2016
Most times, pregnant women are advised to stay away From some foods or beverages because of the rate at.Which the feotus is developing. After every scan, the baby's growth will be revealed and if its getting too rapid, the mother will be asked to stop some food and change her diet. Some women have to go through trough CS because of the weight of the baby, or the passage will have to be tore before the baby will be delivered.
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by harizonal123(m): 7:28am On Feb 02, 2016
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by Reference(m): 7:34am On Feb 02, 2016
Adewunmi84:
can she take it everyday?because she doesn't like taking her drugs with just water because she complains the drugs are too many for her to take with ordinary water and beside she takes her drugs in the morning and night?

Pally, your wife sounds like a glutton. When people say they can't do things because of senses and sensations there is trouble knocking. In this season of weight related diabetis awareness I suggest you give your unborn a fighting chance at living a disease free life by cutting sugar intake prevalent in cocoa drinks (which are naturally bitter). As for your orobo wife her taste buds will lead her to eating broiled fish without salt later in life just to stay alive. Use your head wisely NOW.
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by YelloweWest: 7:41am On Feb 02, 2016
ireneidiva:

In this age and time?
Different strokes for different folks...
My husband and I are happy and can afford a large family.
Nice dp by the way.

1 Like

Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by Nobody: 7:45am On Feb 02, 2016
Reference:

Pally, your wife sounds like a glutton. When people say they can't do things because of senses and sensations there is trouble knocking. In this season of weight related diabetis awareness I suggest you give your unborn a fighting chance at living a disease free life by cutting sugar intake prevalent in cocoa drinks (which are naturally bitter). As for your orobo wife her taste buds will lead her to eating broiled fish without salt later in life just to stay alive. Use your head wisely NOW.
see as you yarn dust...who marry orobo n wetin cause glutton talk?u just dey yarn gibberish for mouth.am sure u just close ur eyes dey type nonsense.that is why I don't want this on front-page because I know someone like u will invade it and say nonsense.I said someone don't like using water to take drugs,u said she is a glutton.n u no stop there o,u said na orobo.no be only orobo,na orombo...suponpostarch..

3 Likes

Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by bintudon(f): 7:47am On Feb 02, 2016
Wow I have try reading all comments and everyone is talking to is own understanding, when I Was pregnant with my first baby do you know many mouths said don't take milo during pregnancy so your baby will not be big , I have to follow their directions and went for Lipton, could you believe that my baby was 5kg during birth so I have to go through CS,please bro just let your wife to eat what ever her body needs to build up your baby and mother.
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by professore(m): 7:49am On Feb 02, 2016
this is a good post
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by repogirl(f): 7:49am On Feb 02, 2016
kayemdy:

Seriously gestational diabetes GDM causes macrosomia(big baby literarily)......in GDM there is excessive insulin due to insulin resistance in pregnancy... The excess insulin stimulates the insulin like growth factors causing excessive growth

Genetic factors too is a strong determinant

As much as u can avoid diabetes in pregnancy
hmm, good one. Thanks Kayemdy, I've learnt something today.
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by barcaboi(m): 7:52am On Feb 02, 2016
Adewunmi84:
Good afternoon doctors in the house.My wife is four months pregnant now and before now she have been taking milo with peak milk but 2 days ago,her nurses at the ante natal told her she s hould stop taking milo and switch to lipton t ea.Today,she have started taking the yellow label lipton tea but I just discovered she have started vomitting.She vomitted the food she took this morning and moreso I think lipton tea could make her slim down and reduce in weight which I don't want.I have consulted google and I discovered some women took milo throughout their pregnancy period and nothing bad happened to them or the baby.And what I read about lipton tea that it can cause miscarriage if taken too much is not encouraging.please,can she switch back to milo and continue taking it everyday?thanks
lipton has caffeine, she shd avoid it.....

1 Like

Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by Nobody: 7:53am On Feb 02, 2016
It seems many people think that c/s happens only as a result of having a fat baby
people should read and educate themselves more
There are books and papers all over the internet......All Free to read
There are websites dedicated to pregnancy and childbirth only.
We owe it to ourselves.

The Most common reasons for an emergency C/S are the cord round the baby's neck and the cervix not opening enough etc

If anyone loves themselves, they should not only rely on what a nurse tells them but to also read up and increase their knowledge so that they can make informed decisions for themselves.

How can a nurse recommend tea as a weight loss option for a pregnant woman?

What is better, a mug of milo or a big plate of pounded yam, oily egusi soup with 4 pieces of meat?

Ive had 2 babies and not once was I told not to drink/eat something specifically to reduce my babys growth.

Except for some specific foods which are prohibited due to the risk of infection and their chemical composition

Everything else can be eaten in moderation.

I am even reading here that some people are drinking gin to make baby fresh.......seriously we need to educate ourselves more. We are solely responsible for our lives and not one nurse who if it all goes wrong, will just pick her bag and go.

1 Like

Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by Omotayor123(f): 7:55am On Feb 02, 2016
RiloKiley:
@adewunmi,
The reason the nurses told her to stop the Milo is probably because they don't want the baby to be too big to push out. Taking excessively sugary stuff during pregnancy is likely to make you have what they call a macrosomic(big) baby. And that could cause your wife to have a c/s instead of normal delivery.
However like someone else said, everything in moderation. Tea has more caffeine than cocoa/Milo, and apart from the fact that it might actually lead to an increase in your wife's blood pressure which would not be good for her or the baby, tea is more likely going to make your wife burn off more fat thus making the baby fine out thin and fugly. You won't like the look of the baby when it comes out. Stick with the Milo but in moderation.
Adeewunmi84 this monicker Said it all.. Just read and learn and make use of this advice.

I wish your wife safest delivery.

1 Like

Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by Nobody: 7:56am On Feb 02, 2016
http://www.nhs.uk/chq/Pages/917.aspx?CategoryID=54

This is from the NHS website.

Why should I avoid some foods during pregnancy?

There are some foods you should avoid eating during pregnancy because they could cause food poisoning, and the possible presence of bacteria, chemicals or parasites in these foods could harm your unborn baby.

Cheese
Avoid:
mould-ripened soft cheeses – such as brie, camembert and others with a similar rind, including goats' cheese
soft blue-veined cheeses – such as Danish blue, gorgonzola and roquefort

Cheeses like this are made with mould and can contain listeria bacteria that cause listeriosis. Although an infection with listeria is rare, even a mild form of this infection in a pregnant woman can lead to miscarriage, stillbirth or severe illness in a newborn baby.

Raw eggs
Avoid raw or undercooked eggs and any foods that contain them, such as homemade mayonnaise.
Make sure that eggs are thoroughly cooked until the whites and yolks are solid. This prevents the risk of salmonella food poisoning.

Unpasteurised milk
Do not drink raw (unpasteurised) milk, including unpasteurised goats’ or sheep’s milk, or any food that is made of them, such as soft goats’ cheese.
If only raw or green-top milk is available, boil it first.

Pâté
Avoid all types of pâté, including vegetable pâtés, as they can contain listeria.

Raw meat
Do not eat raw or undercooked meat.
Cook all meat and poultry thoroughly so there’s no trace of pink or blood. Be particularly careful with sausages and minced meat.

The latest advice from the Food Standards Agency (FSA) is that pregnant women should take care when eating cold cured meats such as salami, chorizo, pepperoni and Parma ham, because these meats are not cooked but cured and fermented, so they may contain toxoplasmosis-causing parasites.

It's best to check the instructions on the pack to see whether the product is ready-to-eat or needs cooking first.

For ready-to-eat meats, you can reduce any risk from parasites by freezing cured/fermented meats for four days at home before you eat them. Freezing kills most parasites, making the meat safer to eat.

Liver
Avoid liver or liver products, such as liver pâté or liver sausage, as they may contain a lot of vitamin A. Too much vitamin A can harm your baby.

Vitamin A
Don’t take:
high-dose multivitamin supplements
fish liver oil supplements
any supplements containing vitamin A

Fish
There are some types of fish you should limit, such as tuna and oily fish, and some types of fish you should avoid completely, such as shark. Also, don’t eat raw shellfish when pregnant, as it can cause food poisoning.

Alcohol
You should avoid drinking alcohol if you're pregnant or trying to get pregnant. Too much exposure to alcohol can seriously affect your baby's development.

Caffeine
You should limit caffeine during pregnancy – avoid having more than 200 milligrams (mg) of caffeine a day. High levels of caffeine can cause babies to have a low birth weight. Too much caffeine can also cause a miscarriage.
Caffeine is found naturally in some foods and is added to some soft drinks.

Reducing the risk of toxoplasmosis

Wash fruit, vegetables and salads to remove all traces of soil, which may contain toxoplasma, a parasite that can cause toxoplasmosis.

1 Like

Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by Iceyquincy(f): 8:09am On Feb 02, 2016
Y[quote author=Adewunmi84 post=42463437]Good afternoon doctors in the house.My wife is four months pregnant now and before now she have been taking milo with peak milk but 2 days ago,her nurses at the ante natal told her she s hould stop taking milo and switch to lipton t ea.Today,she have started taking the yellow label lipton tea but I just discovered she have started vomitting.She vomitted the food she took this morning and moreso I think lipton tea could make her slim down and reduce in weight which I don't want.I have consulted google and I discovered some women took milo throughout their pregnancy period and nothing bad happened to them or the baby.And what I read about lipton tea that it can cause miscarriage if taken too much is not encouraging.please,can she switch back to milo and continue taking it everyday?thanks[/quot

Pls tell ur wife to log onto www.babycentre.com, she will get all d advice she needs on weekly basis. As for milo, it has absolutely no bad effect on her or the child. They only advice us to stop taking it cos it's likely to make d foetus big n could lead to a tear of d vagina during child birth. Tell her to log onto dat site n register, she will enjoy it. I wish her safe delivery when d time comes.
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by KruggerINC(m): 8:18am On Feb 02, 2016
Adewunmi84:
Good afternoon doctors in the house.My wife is four months pregnant now and before now she have been taking milo with peak milk but 2 days ago,her nurses at the ante natal told her she s hould stop taking milo and switch to lipton t ea.Today,she have started taking the yellow label lipton tea but I just discovered she have started vomitting.She vomitted the food she took this morning and moreso I think lipton tea could make her slim down and reduce in weight which I don't want.I have consulted google and I discovered some women took milo throughout their pregnancy period and nothing bad happened to them or the baby.And what I read about lipton tea that it can cause miscarriage if taken too much is not encouraging.please,can she switch back to milo and continue taking it everyday?thanks

Guy are u serious?you bring something as important as your pregnant wife's health to Nairaland?here Na consulting clinic ne?abi u dey find free consultation for nairaland? abeg take your wife to a qualified doctor for proper consultation and examination and if you still ain't saisfied then seek a second opinion fo better still fly her to Yankee make she go drop the engine for there....but remeber to dodge Zika virus for road .......oya hanlele begin go NOW
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by Iffffffy(f): 8:24am On Feb 02, 2016
ireneidiva:
In this age and time?
I wonder o
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by SuzieeDee(f): 8:39am On Feb 02, 2016
Blade21:
rubbish incase you don't know new born babies can suffer from low sugar my advice as a mum with two kids is everything in moderation I was speaking to a pharmacist yesterday he told me Lipton is not good for pregnant woman except you want your baby to be born tiny nd ugly so she can take milk nd mlio but I'm moderation

pls oh, do you mean to say that my baby's looks (fine or ugly) will be determined by the kind of food I eat? Because the last antenatal class I went for, they also advised us to take Lipton so that we won't have a big baby that could cause a tear during delivery. Although I take vita biotics and d doctor assured me that my baby will b fresh when born cu's that is what I want lol.
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by FuckTheMod: 8:44am On Feb 02, 2016
DesChyko:

Who is the doctor here? It pays to pay attention.
IT'S YOU
prescribing lipton over milo because of caffeine
Wu asked you about caffeine in the first place
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by lamdec(f): 8:48am On Feb 02, 2016
abeniagbon:
@Adewunmi. If you love your wife very well. I will advise you to tell her instead of taking tea she should take coffee with a cube of sugar. If you don't her to cost you for CS. When labouring... Okay and she always take the coffee every morning as well. Cos when taking much of soft drink, bournvita, peak milk. The weight of the baby will be big inside of her and that's cud bring a big problem for her delivery, and that cud bring about CS. Which may lead to you spending more of your funds and her health too. Vegatable is also okay for her at this period and if she can take whisky or dry gin that's cool as well. Goodluck

Really? as in Really coffee, whisky!!! Really??
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by toprealman: 8:55am On Feb 02, 2016
kaziblake:
@Adewumi the nurse was right to ask her to stop taking milo.

When my mum was pregnant nurses and doctors warned to stop taking milo because of the side effect but she refused.

During labour the baby was so big and fat to the extent that she couldn't push.

They had to rush her to the emergency room.

The doctor told her that it was her constant intake of milo that caused it.

Tell your wife to leave milo for now.
When your mum was pregnant kwa......u can lie oh!
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by kaziblake(f): 9:00am On Feb 02, 2016
toprealman:
When your mum was pregnant kwa......u can lie oh!
she had the baby when I was 12yrs old.

So you think I was the one with the pregnancy,sorry to shame you.
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by alfajohn: 9:08am On Feb 02, 2016
From what u have said and comments of others, it appears to me that the baby inside of your wife is already overweight that is why the nurse advised that she should be on tea and not milo, so as to shed some weight before delivery. Not a doctor just a logical summation of what has been said here. The best is to see a doctor for thorough examination and professional advise. Good luck
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by Nobody: 9:09am On Feb 02, 2016
KruggerINC:

Guy are u serious?you bring something as important as your pregnant wife's health to Nairaland?here Na consulting clinic ne?abi u dey find free consultation for nairaland? abeg take your wife to a qualified doctor for proper consultation and examination and if you still ain't saisfied then seek a second opinion fo better still fly her to Yankee make she go drop the engine for there....but remeber to dodge Zika virus for road .......oya hanlele begin go NOW
shoro niyen..
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by unknown87: 9:16am On Feb 02, 2016
The pikin go like Milo die grin
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by yommys01(m): 9:29am On Feb 02, 2016
Blade21:
catarh is normal she will get over it nd of cos she can use pregnant care ask any gyneacologist it's safe if she for antenatal she should tell them she has what she's taking and please let her rest a lot nd walk too it's good for her especially towards the last days I wish her de very best of delivery the May the grace that works for me speak for her God bless you all
My younger sister ( sort of ) recommended pregnant care to my wife but the doctor said she should stop it and he is a gynecologist.

She takes milo like 3-4 times a week and like the OP, she can't take meds with water but I buy her five alive or hollandia yogurt to take it.

Is this okay?

Plus she has been complaining lately which burns my heart. She complains of the baby kicking her too much, especially from 1am till about 5am. And according to her, it seems the baby's head is downward which hurts her stomach. She is in her 8th month.

The whole pain is actually depressing me and gets me scared ( lost the lady before her which plays on my mind).
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by toprealman: 9:45am On Feb 02, 2016
kaziblake:
ok dear, your mum must be very young. Luck you and be a good big sis.
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by toprealman: 9:46am On Feb 02, 2016
kaziblake:
ok dear, your mum must be very young. Lucky you and be a good big sis.
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by trendyprettygir: 9:57am On Feb 02, 2016
RiloKiley:

But there is no bitter drug here na, lol. Maybe Vit Bco.
Pregnacare might be more convenient instead of all these.

Hi there, please stop misleading people.

Pregnacare is not more convenient than the drugs given at the hospital.

The drugs recommended by your gyn is even more convenient than pregnacare.

Stop teaching things that are not right.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

My Brother In Law Barged Into My Room While I Was Unclad!! / My Wife Is Slowly Distancing Herself From Me..... / It Took Some Time For Our Wives To Idenify Us 90-Year-Old Identical Twins (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.