Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,812 members, 7,813,681 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:10 PM

Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? - Family (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? (102425 Views)

My Pregnant Girlfriend Wants Abortion. How Do I Convince Her To Keep It? / My Pregnant Wife Now Hates Me! Please Help!!! / Help! My Pregnant Wife Is Acting Strange! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by yetseyi(f): 10:05am On Feb 02, 2016
arinzest:
Dear Op, pls change your hospital.

The problem we usually have at antenatal clinics is dt nurses say things that are not evidence based cos 'they were told dt by senior matrons'. Medicine is now evidence based.

Graduate nurses and some younger SON graduates can attest to dt. Its no longer myths n legend

A pregnant black woman will add about 12 kilograms in pregnancy. Poor wt gain can be a sign of poor fetal growth inside d womb. this is expected if ur wife's Body mass index is not more than 25kg/m2.

if she is obese, her weight gain shld be 6kg or less depending on her pre-pregnancy wt. Please she can TAKE ANY MILO she wants.

Vaginal delivery has a lot of factors. the baby (passenger), her hips (passage) and how strong d uterus contracts in labour (powers). i have sectioned babies less than 3 kg for cases of malposition,fetal distress or any other cause of abnormal labour.

Pls STOP PREGNARE CARE. its d biggest scam in ObGyn. a black woman needs 3.5-4grms of elemental iron supplementatn per day. We also use high dose folic acid (5mg) in our region to prevent malformations. A caucasian woman req 1.7mg of elemental irpn per day.

our body absorbs 10% of iron intake. if u take pregnare care, you will be getting 1.7mg of elemental iron and 400mcg of folic acid. this is INADEQUATE

your wife shld take her ferrous sulphate (red), folic acid (tiny yellow) and vitamin c. if she has a problem due to d many drugs n smell, use Ferrobin plus by fidson

it will give you 100mg of elemental iron ie 10mg delivered to your system, double d requirement. it also comes wt 5mg folic acid. That what most of us here recommend.

Pls check with a Gynaecologist when in doubt. Your first baby is d most dangerous because of misinfornation .

All the best

I have been wondering why the shift to pregnacare, you even see peeps advising others to stop the prescription given to them at antenatal and take pregnacare.

I am not a doctor but from my little knowledge of nutritional/nutrient requirements for all life stages, I have just been wondering.
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by JustHere2Observ(f): 10:09am On Feb 02, 2016
pet4ril:
i would have passed if not that I saw the qualifications.... You mean she can be taking beverages freely in all the semesters shocked shocked cool

Except for caffeinated drinks and alcohol
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by yommys01(m): 10:11am On Feb 02, 2016
DisGuy:
NO ONE DEEMED IT FIT TO CHANGE THIS HORRIBLE HEADING?/

continue the 'intake'?? uhhh
Maybe because this is not an English class and the most important thing is for the forumites to understand the question.
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by lolexzy: 10:31am On Feb 02, 2016
STOP IT FAST. During my wife's pregnancy with our first child she consumed a lot of cocoa beverages and when the baby came ,oh dear he was so big he looked like a one year old boy. She had a lot of cuts in the process, it was agonizing for her. All the nurses and staff of the hospital came to look at him. The second pregnancy she kept away from cocoa drinks and the baby was not as big.

1 Like

Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by Blade21: 11:20am On Feb 02, 2016
yommys01:
My younger sister ( sort of ) recommended pregnant care to my wife but the doctor said she should stop it and he is a gynecologist.

She takes milo like 3-4 times a week and like the OP, she can't take meds with water but I buy her five alive or hollandia yogurt to take it.

Is this okay?

Plus she has been complaining lately which burns my heart. She complains of the baby kicking her too much, especially from 1am till about 5am. And according to her, it seems the baby's head is downward which hurts her stomach. She is in her 8th month.

The whole pain is actually depressing me and gets me scared ( lost the lady before her which plays on my mind).
sweet heart it's ok for the baby to kick the kicking is very very necessary and it's also ok for the babies head to be down now she should endure it will soon be over and her Joy will be full wish you the best dear and you try and be strong for her and the baby

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by Blade21: 11:22am On Feb 02, 2016
SuzieeDee:

pls oh, do you mean to say that my baby's looks (fine or ugly) will be determined by the kind of food I eat? Because the last antenatal class I went for, they also advised us to take Lipton so that we won't have a big baby that could cause a tear during delivery. Although I take vita biotics and d doctor assured me that my baby will b fresh when born cu's that is what I want lol.
lol too much small baby no de cute na my son was 4kg no tear and he's over cute you can start taking Lipton if they say your baby too big wish you all the best

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by Blade21: 11:26am On Feb 02, 2016
Karence:
Its called "pregnacare" ,a multi vitamin for pregnant women,made by vitabiotics.
ok dear thanks
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by LordReed(m): 11:26am On Feb 02, 2016
kaziblake:
@Adewumi the nurse was right to ask her to stop taking milo.

When my mum was pregnant nurses and doctors warned to stop taking milo because of the side effect but she refused.

During labour the baby was so big and fat to the extent that she couldn't push.

They had to rush her to the emergency room.

The doctor told her that it was her constant intake of milo that caused it.

Tell your wife to leave milo for now.

Overweight foetus is exactly why women are advised to cut back on chocolate drinks and from overeating in general. Women who use the excuse that they are pregnant to indulge in overeating are more likely to have this kind of problem, the foetus may not have any deformity but it puts the mother's life in danger.

1 Like

Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by Blade21: 11:30am On Feb 02, 2016
pet4ril:
And what makes you think the nurse was saying rubbish, do you know what she complained of before they advised her on that, for the fact that you took it during your pregnancies does not mean another woman should take it. Pregnancy difers in every individual including every babies. Don'tbe surprise you may not be able to take in your next pregnancy what you took in the previous ones, that is why every child is different
ok dear I don hear
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by Chumzylove(f): 12:29pm On Feb 02, 2016
I am a mother too when I used to attend ante natal, they do advice us not to take lipton, lipton is not good for the health, take cholocate but in moderation reason being that it makes the baby to gain a lot of weight, then we should eat healthy foods which is a lot of fruits and vegs, beans and peas, liver and a glass of milk. Also that we shouldn't take sugary beverages and also cold water to avoid bleeding. Then exercise a lot, not sitting at home from morning to night watching Telemundo and Zee world.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by DesChyko: 12:34pm On Feb 02, 2016
FuckTheMod:

IT'S YOU

prescribing lipton over milo because of caffeine

Wu asked you about caffeine in the first place
A sensible person would have re-read my initial suggestion. It's not to late to become sensible. Have a nice life.
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by ariyike23(f): 1:47pm On Feb 02, 2016
yommys01:
My younger sister ( sort of ) recommended pregnant care to my wife but the doctor said she should stop it and he is a gynecologist.

She takes milo like 3-4 times a week and like the OP, she can't take meds with water but I buy her five alive or hollandia yogurt to take it.

Is this okay?

Plus she has been complaining lately which burns my heart. She complains of the baby kicking her too much, especially from 1am till about 5am. And according to her, it seems the baby's head is downward which hurts her stomach. She is in her 8th month.

The whole pain is actually depressing me and gets me scared ( lost the lady before her which plays on my mind).

moderacy is the key.. what she takes is okay and your baby is a footballer ,thats why he or she is kicking that hard,its normal for babies to kick at that stage,infact she should be worried if the baby doesnt kick atall in 48 hours,and the logical reason for yur little one that kicks around 1 am to 5 am is because when mummy is busy and moving around during the day,the baby feels rocked and they sleep,the moment mummy is quiet and laying down,they begin their play..lol..Even in their first month after birth,they keep awake at midnight because they are not yet used to our sleeping pattern. At this late stage,she might experience heartburn,because the baby's head is downwards into the cervix thereby pushing up at mummy;s chest.. Shes absolutely fine,ur little one is preparing to meet mummy and daddy. Get that fear out of your mind,baby and mummy are fine and will remain fine..

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by ariyike23(f): 1:52pm On Feb 02, 2016
SuzieeDee:

pls oh, do you mean to say that my baby's looks (fine or ugly) will be determined by the kind of food I eat? Because the last antenatal class I went for, they also advised us to take Lipton so that we won't have a big baby that could cause a tear during delivery. Although I take vita biotics and d doctor assured me that my baby will b fresh when born cu's that is what I want lol.

stop taking lipton oo,you dont want ur baby coming out with a wrinkled skin. you may cut down on your milo intake,but not totally. plus if u wanta very fresh baby,take cod liver oil,folic acid is very important too. Trust me a doctor who knows what he is doing should know that first time mothers may have tear so he shuldnt wait for the baby to tear you in several places,they should rather cut you in just one place and do episiotomy after the cut,when it heals up,you wont evn feel that you were cut there

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by PastorAji(m): 1:55pm On Feb 02, 2016
Adewunmi84:
pregnant care?which drug is that?what does it do for pregnant women?and how much is the cost?
for the Milo/Tea issue, i suggest she take it in moderation. instead she should eat more of fruits, nuts and efo (i mean combining 2 or more......ugu + tete + soko). pls see a qualified gyn/obs. my madam is over 30 weeks and whenever she goes for her appointment, the doctor always commend her. for the Pregnant care pill, i will recommend CESTRA PregnaCare once a day. it has a pink pack with the diagram of expectant mama......
hope it helped wink

1 Like

Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by glossy6(f): 2:01pm On Feb 02, 2016
Adewunmi84:
Good afternoon doctors in the house.My wife is four months pregnant now and before now she have been taking milo with peak milk but 2 days ago,her nurses at the ante natal told her she s hould stop taking milo and switch to lipton t ea.Today,she have started taking the yellow label lipton tea but I just discovered she have started vomitting.She vomitted the food she took this morning and moreso I think lipton tea could make her slim down and reduce in weight which I don't want.I have consulted google and I discovered some women took milo throughout their pregnancy period and nothing bad happened to them or the baby.And what I read about lipton tea that it can cause miscarriage if taken too much is not encouraging.please,can she switch back to milo and continue taking it everyday?thanks

Most pregnant women are advised to shun Milo to avoid having big babies (4kg and above ) which may pose some problems during child birth. Taking Lipton is believed to reduce the chances of having big babies but then Lipton has caffeine.

Everything is all about moderation. Some women would scoop 5 tablespoons of Milo and 5 tablespoons of milk all in the name of drinking tea.

None of my 5 kids weighed more than 3.5kg at birth despite my Milo consumption. I make it light

1 Milo sachet & 1 milk sachet are enough for her tea
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by Nobody: 2:08pm On Feb 02, 2016
glossy6:

Most pregnant women are advised to shun Milo to avoid having big babies (4kg and above ) which may pose some problems during child birth. Taking Lipton is believed to reduce the chances of having big babies but then Lipton has caffeine.

Everything is all about moderation. Some women would scoop 5 tablespoons of Milo and 5 tablespoons of milk all in the name of drinking tea.

None of my 5 kids weighed more than 3.5kg at birth despite my Milo consumption. I make it light

1 Milo sachet & 1 milk sachet are enough for her tea
1 satchet each a day you mean?
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by Nobody: 2:11pm On Feb 02, 2016
PastorAji:
for the Milo/Tea issue, i suggest she take it in moderation. instead she should eat more of fruits, nuts and efo (i mean combining 2 or more......ugu + tete + soko). pls see a qualified gyn/obs. my madam is over 30 weeks and whenever she goes for her appointment, the doctor always commend her. for the Pregnant care pill, i will recommend CESTRA PregnaCare once a day. it has a pink pack with the diagram of expectant mama......
hope it helped wink
may ur madam deliver safely like the hebrew women in Jesus name.thanks
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by glossy6(f): 2:21pm On Feb 02, 2016
Adewunmi84:
1 satchet each a day you mean?
Yes
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by yommys01(m): 2:38pm On Feb 02, 2016
ariyike23:

moderacy is the key.. what she takes is okay and your baby is a footballer ,thats why he or she is kicking that hard,its normal for babies to kick at that stage,infact she should be worried if the baby doesnt kick atall in 48 hours,and the logical reason for yur little one that kicks around 1 am to 5 am is because when mummy is busy and moving around during the day,the baby feels rocked and they sleep,the moment mummy is quiet and laying down,they begin their play..lol..Even in their first month after birth,they keep awake at midnight because they are not yet used to our sleeping pattern. At this late stage,she might experience heartburn,because the baby's head is downwards into the cervix thereby pushing up at mummy;s chest.. Shes absolutely fine,ur little one is preparing to meet mummy and daddy. Get that fear out of your mind,baby and mummy are fine and will remain fine..
Thanks. I just bullied ( I mean real bully ) her to the hospital and we were told the same. She increasingly finds it odd that I behave this way but I can't tell her "I don't want you to die like xyz died" Plays on my mind but if I dare say it out. I will be preached to for the next 48 hours for sure.

7 more weeks and I can breath.

And it is a she. What I have always wanted my first born to be.
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by ariyike23(f): 2:42pm On Feb 02, 2016
yommys01:
Thanks. I just bullied ( I mean real bully ) her to the hospital and we were told the same. She increasingly finds it odd that I behave this way but I can't tell her "I don't want you to die like xyz died" Plays on my mind but if I dare say it out. I will be preached to for the next 48 hours for sure.

7 more weeks and I can breath.

And it is a she. What I have always wanted my first born to be.

lol,,dont say that to her oo.. ur little lady is a real footballer. All is well,i practically culdnt wait to have my baby,i was soo tired and anxious and she came 2 weekks to her due date.. God bless the mum and little lady ,okay and you too..
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by kamkechi(f): 4:02pm On Feb 02, 2016
Adewunmi84:
can she take it everyday?because she doesn't like taking her drugs with just water because she complains the drugs are too many for her to take with ordinary water and beside she takes her drugs in the morning and night?
its best to take water with drugs and not tea.
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by kamkechi(f): 4:20pm On Feb 02, 2016
Adewunmi84:
Good afternoon doctors in the house.My wife is four months pregnant now and before now she have been taking milo with peak milk but 2 days ago,her nurses at the ante natal told her she s hould stop taking milo and switch to lipton t ea.Today,she have started taking the yellow label lipton tea but I just discovered she have started vomitting.She vomitted the food she took this morning and moreso I think lipton tea could make her slim down and reduce in weight which I don't want.I have consulted google and I discovered some women took milo throughout their pregnancy period and nothing bad happened to them or the baby.And what I read about lipton tea that it can cause miscarriage if taken too much is not encouraging.please,can she switch back to milo and continue taking it everyday?thanks
i take trevo health drink in pregnancy and its quite helpful. I have three sons now. Also remember that its best to take drugs with water(not cold). She should also lie on her left side more when sleeping because it will help your baby more. Safe delivery to your wife
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by Nobody: 5:22pm On Feb 02, 2016
Adewunmi84:
which one com be rubbish now...na that one spoil ur good comment

I wonder o.... Some people sha
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by JustHere2Observ(f): 5:53pm On Feb 02, 2016
kamkechi:
i take trevo health drink in pregnancy and its quite helpful. I have three sons now. Also remember that its best to take drugs with water(not cold). She should also lie on her left side more when sleeping because it will help your baby more. Safe delivery to your wife

1. Taking drugs with cold water has no side effect on the mechanism of the drug or has any effect on the baby.

2. Lying on your left side has nothing to do with the baby's movement, but it is advised so the weight of the uterus is not on blood vessel which might reduce blood supply to mother causing dizziness.

1 Like

Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by JustHere2Observ(f): 5:58pm On Feb 02, 2016
Chumzylove:
I am a mother too when I used to attend ante natal, they do advice us not to take lipton, lipton is not good for the health, take cholocate but in moderation reason being that it makes the baby to gain a lot of weight, then we should eat healthy foods which is a lot of fruits and vegs, beans and peas, liver and a glass of milk. Also that we shouldn't take sugary beverages and also cold water to avoid bleeding. Then exercise a lot, not sitting at home from morning to night watching Telemundo and Zee world.

All these nurses teaching clients wrong information ...cold water doesn't affect you in anyway. I won't be surprised if the nurse that told you that is not a registered nurse.

1 Like

Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by JustHere2Observ(f): 6:01pm On Feb 02, 2016
kayemdy:

Seriously gestational diabetes GDM causes macrosomia(big baby literarily)......in GDM there is excessive insulin due to insulin resistance in pregnancy... The excess insulin stimulates the insulin like growth factors causing excessive growth

Genetic factors too is a strong determinant

Please thank you!! Someone should tell them Milo is not the cause of big babies.

As much as u can avoid diabetes in pregnancy
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Feb 02, 2016
kamkechi:
don't mind my wife.she just dey sleep anyhow...a don warn her again after I saw ur mention nao.a even practicalise am for her...she still dey do like sey she be sisii.....lolz...
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by Orente21(f): 8:23pm On Feb 02, 2016
nuelyoyo:
*Singing* e ba mi ki orente, orente o, iyawo mi orente.
u'r funny
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by FuckTheMod: 8:34pm On Feb 02, 2016
DesChyko:

A sensible person would have re-read my initial suggestion. It's not to late to become sensible. Have a nice life.
Where will I get the time to re-read an ode and olodo post
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by Nobody: 2:04am On Feb 03, 2016
kaziblake:
@Adewumi the nurse was right to ask her to stop taking milo.

When my mum was pregnant nurses and doctors warned to stop taking milo because of the side effect but she refused.

During labour the baby was so big and fat to the extent that she couldn't push.

They had to rush her to the emergency room.

The doctor told her that it was her constant intake of milo that caused it.

Tell your wife to leave milo for now.
His wife is still 4 months pregnant so she can take it. Of course everything should be taken in moderation. It's from the third trimester pregnant women are advised to greatly reduce any form if carbohydrate/sugar, while increasing their protein intake. It's from 6-7 months babies begin to add fat to their formerly thin skeletal frame.
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by Nobody: 2:11am On Feb 03, 2016
kamkechi:
its best to take water with drugs and not tea.
Not necessarily. Those of us who can't comfortably swallow drugs with water have been told we can swallow them with eba and soup if we like. It doesn't reduce the effect of the drugs one bit. Everything still gets processed by your 'belly'.
Re: Can My Pregnant Wife Continue The Intake Of Milo Beverages? by Unikjay1(f): 10:35am On Feb 03, 2016
Adewunmi84:
(
Pls its not adviceable for a pregnant woman to take lipton . That doctor abi na nurse that told her the is wicked. All she needs to do is just not to take it excessively so the baby will not be too big thats all.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

My Brother In Law Barged Into My Room While I Was Unclad!! / My Wife Is Slowly Distancing Herself From Me..... / It Took Some Time For Our Wives To Idenify Us 90-Year-Old Identical Twins (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.