Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,884 members, 7,828,142 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 02:51 AM

Does Love = Like - Romance (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Does Love = Like (3558 Views)

Why Are Some Men So Quick To Label Women Gold-diggers? Does Love Mean Poverty/suffering? / Does Love Realy Fades Away? / Why Does Love Hurt So Bad? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Does Love = Like by TheSeeker(m): 2:40pm On Jul 08, 2009
sistawoman:

exactly.

so where as a real r/s could have bloosmed from the meetings it is killed right away with the 9ja brotha saying i love you too soon and an american girl not understanding he means i like you.

Yes, that's it. They can't differentiate 'like' from 'love'. Some don't even know what love means-- they just profess it.
Re: Does Love = Like by TheSeeker(m): 2:46pm On Jul 08, 2009
sistawoman:

But if dealing with women in the Western world should not the brothas understand that the over use of the word is seen as fake and shady here? That coupled with the distrust that already is an underlying issue with Africans and Westerners should not the brothas be a little bit more sensitive when dating in our world?

Dating someone locally and in the western world doesn't make much of a difference. What matters is the better understanding that like and love don't ever mix. They are two different and very distant facts. Love involves and entails a lot of factors, which when put into test, will survive the toughest situations. More so, I think men should tell it like it is and should not misconstrue attraction for love -- they should be able to articulate their emotions and tell when love comes into play or when it's being stalled.
Re: Does Love = Like by gen2genius(m): 2:50pm On Jul 08, 2009
@ sistawoman

Are they given any "guidebook" for that at the airport/embassy?

@ Theseeker

Try to be more practical. "Love" and "like" in whose language? Are we talking about LINGUISTICS here or FEELINGS? If in his native language, there is only one word for "love" and "like," how do you expect him to AUTOMATICALLY know that it's not the same in the English language? Do the westerners themselves learn so fast when they come here? This our "kolo" mentality sef. Haba!
Re: Does Love = Like by iice(f): 2:54pm On Jul 08, 2009
gen2genius:

That's not "miscommunication" dear. It's misinterpretation. And that cannot be avoided. Men and women do not always reason/ interpret words the the same way. Nor do Westerners and Africans always view expressions from the same angle. That's a reality we must learn to cope with wink

Misinterpretation
to interpret, explain, or understand incorrectly.

Miscommunication
to communicate mistakenly, unclearly, or inadequately

You are right about that we view things differently.  But sometimes, with dealing with people who are of different backgrounds/beliefs.  .  .we can try to keep in mind that difference when communicating.
Re: Does Love = Like by touchmeder: 3:02pm On Jul 08, 2009
yeah this makes me laugh. i remember reading so many romance novels/ mills and boons back then where the guy reserves the ''i love you part'' up till the very end like its one big deal and when he says it like hell he means it, (as an aside personally this stuff influenced me so much for months into a very serious relationship i could not use the love word, until i finally let go one day)its almost like the crowning point, like he's said it all and now do with me as u please. Even in foreign movies its almost the same thing.
In Nigeria its not so. they just say it like that even on 2nd, 4th , meeting still trying to toast you. i guess that's our way undecided
Re: Does Love = Like by gen2genius(m): 3:05pm On Jul 08, 2009
@ iice

That is, if you've taken time to study their way of life - language, culture etc - to the smallest detail wink

@ Touchmeder

Of course, it seems to be "our way." And it's normal to have OUR way of doing things. That makes us unique wink
Re: Does Love = Like by touchmeder: 3:13pm On Jul 08, 2009
I agree so many times we tend to want to change this cos thats how its done abroad, suddenly ours dont seem right its always theirs. who sets the standard for what is right. Would they change theirs for us? different things mean something else in different cultures. thats why communication is important.
Re: Does Love = Like by ebila(m): 3:15pm On Jul 08, 2009
@Sisterwoman,
U shud know us by now.If we say we love a gurl we've not slept with,it's out **** talkin'.Love is love and like is like as in s western world,Nigerians miss it a whole lot doesn't mean d diff isn't defined.
Re: Does Love = Like by TheSeeker(m): 3:23pm On Jul 08, 2009
gen2genius:

@ Theseeker

Try to be more practical. "Love" and "like" in whose language? Are we talking about LINGUISTICS here or FEELINGS? If in his native language, there is only one word for "love" and "like," how do you expect him to AUTOMATICALLY know that it's not the same in the English language? Do the westerners themselves learn so fast when they come here? This our "kolo" mentality sef. Haba!

I'm talking feelings. Nigerian guys so many times can't differentiate like from love. Speaking of languages, some tribes have different terminology for like and love respectively. Elaborating my point on why some still get it mixed up, I meant that even some people who are learned and are supposed to be exposed can't still make a distinction between like and love. However, I'm flying in the face of a popular notion that you love someone at first sight which is very common in Nigeria.
Re: Does Love = Like by sistawoman: 3:31pm On Jul 08, 2009
ebila:

@Sisterwoman,
U shud know us by now.If we say we love a gurl we've not slept with,it's out **** talkin'.Love is love and like is like as in s western world,Nigerians miss it a whole lot doesn't mean d diff isn't defined.

It is not me that does not understand but the other sistas out there that the 9ja brothas are toasting here in the Western world.

Is it not the responsibility of the person that immigrating to a new country to understand their customs and ways of being and either disregard them and stick with "your own kind" or accept them and adjust your way of dealing with us.

That goes both ways. If a westerner wanted to come live in 9ja then it is their responsibility to learn the customs and follow them, not doing so can/will result in insult and possible injury.

That is for any person going to a different land.

As my dad would say"when in rome do as the romans would do"
Is it a pride thing that wont allow the men to acknowldege this and accept this?
Is this that egocentric thinking peeping it's little head up.
When taking english in school are these type of differences in lauguage usage discussed?
Re: Does Love = Like by steve49ja(m): 3:36pm On Jul 08, 2009
Its a feeling one feels towards someone. . .example : larva. . . pupa. . . adult

Larva (in respect to our discussion) aint a full grown animal/insect but wont be regarded as nothing.

Da guy feels something deep down inside for this particular someone and when it develops (from larva to pupa) it becomes as strong as our everyday relationship 'love' so it is da early stage of love.

Trust me it is way different from 'likeness'.
Re: Does Love = Like by sesman(m): 3:38pm On Jul 08, 2009
People should know the meaning of words before using them, you can say you love someone when you mean like that is carelessness as far as am concerened, LOVE should mean LOVE and LIKE should mean LIKE, simple as ABC , 123,
Re: Does Love = Like by touchmeder: 3:46pm On Jul 08, 2009
It is not me that does not understand but the other sistas out there that the 9ja brothas are toasting here in the Western world.

Is it not the responsibility of the person that immigrating to a new country to understand their customs and ways of being and either disregard them and stick with "your own kind" or accept them and adjust your way of dealing with us.

That goes both ways. If a westerner wanted to come live in 9ja then it is their responsibility to learn the customs and follow them, not doing so can/will result in insult and possible injury.

That is for any person going to a different land.

As my dad would say"when in rome do as the romans would do"

Is it a pride thing that wont allow the men to acknowldege this and accept this?
When taking english in school are these type of differences in lauguage usage discussed?

you have spoken well and it is here i agree with you
Re: Does Love = Like by sistawoman: 6:11pm On Jul 08, 2009
touchmeder:

you have spoken well and it is here i agree with you

so how do we reconcile these differences?

Anyone care to answer the other questions I raised?

Is it a pride thing that wont allow the men to acknowledge this and accept this?
When taking English in school are these type of differences in language usage discussed?
Re: Does Love = Like by TheSeeker(m): 6:33pm On Jul 08, 2009
sistawoman:

No, it's far from pride. It's a profound wealth in ignorance.

Their egocentric thinking is directed somewhere else because ascertaining such a mix up is clueless rather it's used in trampling on a woman's emotions and make her feel like she's got no choice. But then, what do you say to people who equate jealousy with love?

Schools are different in Nigeria. Just like it is everywhere else, there's private and public schools. Private schools are way better and 100% effective than public schools. In public examinations, students from private schools perform exceptionally better than their public school counterpart, they also are confident in representing what they have been taught in school which includes moral education. Not to deviate from your question, proper use of English Language is extensively taught in private schools than it will ever be in public schools. So this depends on what academic world one has been exposed to. Private school, yes! Public school? No!
Re: Does Love = Like by kok(m): 7:45pm On Jul 08, 2009
The truth is, Most of us use dont understand English language in its real sense and dont exactly speak it as it is, rather we "convert" our native language to english instead of translating. So in actual sense, when a guy meets a girl for the first time and tells her he loves her, he is actually trying emphasise his likeness.

for instance, like = like, like + like = 2like, but, like X like = love
Re: Does Love = Like by gen2genius(m): 8:15pm On Jul 08, 2009
No, it's far from pride. It's a profound wealth in ignorance.

Their egocentric thinking is directed somewhere else because ascertaining such a mix up is clueless rather it's used in trampling on a woman's emotions and make her feel like she's got no choice. But then, what do you say to people who equate jealousy with love?

Schools are different in Nigeria. Just like it is everywhere else, there's private and public schools. Private schools are way better and 100% effective than public schools. In public examinations, students from private schools perform exceptionally better than their public school counterpart, they also are confident in representing what they have been taught in school which includes moral education. Not to deviate from your question, proper use of English Language is extensively taught in private schools than it will ever be in public schools. So this depends on what academic world one has been exposed to. Private school, yes! Public school? No!

I sometimes find it hard to understand what some men think they stand to gain when they say things like this. In the first place, are you trying to gain the approval of the womenfolk by making baseless generalisations about men? Some of us mistake being smarmy for being candid. Is it only men that "trample" on people's emotions? Even women that claim to know the real meaning of love, don't they use the word deceitfully? Don't they use it when they don't mean it? It appalls me when we jettison logic and allow sentiments to becloud our reasoning. So not knowing the difference between "love" and "like" makes men take women for granted. Are the women imbeciles? If a man tells a woman he loves her when they barely know each other and she believes him, who is the real slowpoke? Why do we fuss over frivolities and tussle over trivialities. We're making an issue out of nothing. If she feels he's not using the word properly, she's not compelled to respond. It's his right to express himself, however he thinks appropriate, and it's her right to react to the expression the way she interprets it. Simple! Why the much ado about nothing? Haba!

And the comment about private and public school is not totally correct. Some products of public schools are far better than those of private schools. I attended public primary and secondary schools in a real slum. But I performed better than most of my counterparts from private schools in the university. And there many other people like me. So, stop making questionable generalisations about Nigerian men and Nigerian schools.

American men don't come to African forums to say derogatory things about their people. And women don't go about saying nasty things about themselves to please any man. I wonder why ours has to be different - anything to make us look like "learned gentlemen" undecided
Re: Does Love = Like by gen2genius(m): 8:30pm On Jul 08, 2009
And for the person asking whether the difference between "love" and "like" is not taught in Nigerian schools - sorry, teachers have better things to do than teaching pupils the right thing to say to a girl you want to date. And if you tell me it's not about dating, then which of the several meanings of love should they teach them, because the dictionary has them in abundance?

Again, even with the so much hullabaloo about using the word "love" for a woman you barely know, doesn't the ENGLISH DICTIONARY affirm that there is something called LOVE AT FIRST SIGHT? Look up the word in the dictionary and see if "love at first sight" is not one of the entries. So what if that's what he feels?

If it gives you so much headache and nightmares, you guys can write to the Ministry of Education or, better still, sue them for not inculcating dating techniques into the school curriculum. As if it's today Nigerian men started dating foreign women and vice versa undecided
Re: Does Love = Like by sistawoman: 10:00pm On Jul 08, 2009
Yes it is his right to express himself as he see fit but it causes much wahala where there could be none if he learned the proper use of the word.

again:

sistawoman:

But if dealing with women in the Western world should not the brothas understand that the over use of the word is seen as fake and shady here? That coupled with the distrust that already is an underlying issue with Africans and Westerners should not the brothas be a little bit more sensitive when dating in our world?
Re: Does Love = Like by Kunbee: 10:05pm On Jul 08, 2009
Thanks 2 gen2genius for clearing the public and private school statement, i cant believe Theseeker made such a statement
Re: Does Love = Like by sistawoman: 10:16pm On Jul 08, 2009
What I am trying to help you see is the preception of deceit and shadiness that most Westerners feel towards our African brothas and that this is just one example of how that is further perpetrated.

I am trying to open a dialogue about causes the misuse of English words and how that can be corrected?
Re: Does Love = Like by TheSeeker(m): 10:44pm On Jul 08, 2009
gen2genius:

I sometimes find it hard to understand what some men think they stand to gain when they say things like this. In the first place, are you trying to gain the approval of the womenfolk by making baseless generalisations about men? Some of us mistake being smarmy for being candid. Is it only men that "trample" on people's emotions? Even women that claim to know the real meaning of love, don't they use the word deceitfully? Don't they use it when they don't mean it? It appalls me when we jettison logic and allow sentiments to becloud our reasoning. So not knowing the difference between "love" and "like" makes men take women for granted. Are the women imbeciles? If a man tells a woman he loves her when they barely know each other and she believes him, who is the real slowpoke? Why do we fuss over frivolities and tussle over trivialities. We're making an issue out of nothing. If she feels he's not using the word properly, she's not compelled to respond. It's his right to express himself, however he thinks appropriate, and it's her right to react to the expression the way she interprets it. Simple! Why the much ado about nothing? Haba!

And the comment about private and public school is not totally correct. Some products of public schools are far better than those of private schools. I attended public primary and secondary schools in a real slum. But I performed better than most of my counterparts from private schools in the university. And there many other people like me. So, stop making questionable generalisations about Nigerian men and Nigerian schools.

American men don't come to African forums to say derogatory things about their people. And women don't go about saying nasty things about themselves to please any man. I wonder why ours has to be different - anything to make us look like "learned gentlemen" undecided

I didn't speak in generalization for all men and not to get applauds from the the women-fold for all reason -- I was only stating what is commonly true and what can be found based on 90 of every 100 instances. She asked if their egocentric thinking is peeping its heads up which I told her that some men don't care to know the difference and that tells when they mix up like for love and what happens next is that they, on a very funny belief that like means love, start to misbehave-- I know that was off topic but hey it was correct- better yet I can't start to generalize all men because for one reason or the other everything can't complete a 100% cycle.

About the private and public school, yes I do agree with you that there are public school students who are doing 200% better than private school students. I still know some dullards from private schools and I know very many academically sharp kids from public schools but we all know that it can be certified that 90% of private school kids are better than the minority 40% from public schools and that absolutely depends on the kind of public schools. There are a few states in Nigeria that I know that have very many teachers who aren't even qualified to teach let alone teach English Language, newsflash, they do and what's the government doing about it? Nothing! I don't want to delve into that. One thing also, is that, no matter how rotten people might think she has been and still is, I still love Nigeria and always will and I can't derogatorily speak about my country not for anyone, not for any reason -- I'm a NAIJA for life and nothing can change that even if I possess another citizenship, Nigeria will always run in my blood. Sorry if my earlier comment struck a nerve but contrary to what you thought, I wasn't trying to impress anyone, not even to the detriment of my country's image. There's no point trying to flying the "slowpoke" comment. We aren't up here for a hot disagreement but to share views.
Kunbee:

Thanks 2 gen2genius for clearing the public and private school statement, i cant believe Theseeker made such a statement

I didn't generalize. I only said what I've majorly encountered and yes, you can agree with me, if not on here but in your heart, that most private school kids are better than public schools' but that's not saying there aren't any public schools' product who are way better than private schools'
Re: Does Love = Like by Kunbee: 10:49pm On Jul 08, 2009
In school dey teach these things its now up 2 d student 2 understand or not, i think those guys say love cos dey are trying to make the ladies excited not knowing its a stupid way 2 do so
Re: Does Love = Like by TheSeeker(m): 10:56pm On Jul 08, 2009
Kunbee:

In school dey teach these things its now up 2 d student 2 understand or not, i think those guys say love cos dey are trying to make the ladies excited not knowing its a stupid way 2 do so

But are you also aware of the possibility that some guys even though they can differentiate the two, still go ahead and tell a girl they love her when they clearly know it's not true? And do you these girls believe that because most of them are watching Nollywood blockbusters? That might sound overrated but it is true(that can be attributed to most girls who still can't put a distinction between both). Let's take you for instance, if a guy meets for you the first time and the next thing he starts saying is he loves you, what'd you say? That he's so right? That he truly loves you?
Re: Does Love = Like by Kunbee: 11:16pm On Jul 08, 2009
TheSeeker:

But are you also aware of the possibility that some guys even though they can differentiate the two, still go ahead and tell a girl they love her when they clearly know it's not true? And do you these girls believe that because most of them are watching Nollywood blockbusters? That might sound overrated but it is true(that can be attributed to most girls who still can't put a distinction between both). Let's take you for instance, if a guy meets for you the first time and the next thing he starts saying is he loves you, what'd you say? That he's so right? That he truly loves you?

Of course he doesnt love cos he doesnt know me, and i will tell him na wa u dey waste ur love and besides no one can tell me dat my broda niggaz dey look face den dey find their level and class  tongue, but there are some chics out there who believe that shit and i have enough gf in which dats how dere relationship started
Re: Does Love = Like by TheSeeker(m): 11:28pm On Jul 08, 2009
Kunbee:

Of course he doesnt love cos he doesnt know me, and i will tell him na wa u dey waste ur love and besides no one can tell me dat my broda niggaz dey look face den dey find their level and class Tongue, but there are some chics out there who believe that shit and i have enough gf in which dats how dere relationship started

That is exactly what I'm saying. Now do we say that these girls are naive or were just swayed by what they wanted to hear? Believe me, every woman wants to be loved and none would take exception to that, nonetheless most girls always fall for the word "love" as you can deduce from how to go on with the gist among their friends and all. I'm still of the opinion that most native languages can't be directly translated to English Language otherwise it'll totally mean something else. Notably, I agree that most Nigerian ethnic languages don't put a yardstick between like and love but with the education we have on the prowl, we should be able to tell the difference and attach that to our feelings.
Re: Does Love = Like by TheSeeker(m): 11:34pm On Jul 08, 2009
sistawoman:

What I am trying to help you see is the preception of deceit and shadiness that most Westerners feel towards our African brothas and that this is just one example of how that is further perpetrated.

I am trying to open a dialogue about causes the misuse of English words and how that can be corrected?

That's the stigma. Failure to put the right words together and the westerners start to see us as being shady or deceitful and there's no helping that because they were raised to understand the proper use of the language at every instance. But that was back in the day. Nowadays, guys know the difference but some still say it to sway girls, arising from strong conviction that's what they want to hear-- some have gone too deep in it that they go about doing it to all girls but it's left to the girl concerned to discern what the guy is trying to say to her and do what she feels. As for it being corrected, I think people are starting to learn and it's gradually changing, albeit, it takes a lot to extricate people from what they have been made to believe since they were kids.
Re: Does Love = Like by Kunbee: 11:44pm On Jul 08, 2009
TheSeeker:

That is exactly what I'm saying. Now do we say that these girls are naive or were just swayed by what they wanted to hear? Believe me, every woman wants to be loved and none would take exception to that, nonetheless most girls always fall for the word "love" as you can deduce from how to go on with the gist among their friends and all. I'm still of the opinion that most native languages can't be directly translated to English Language otherwise it'll totally mean something else. Notably, I agree that most Nigerian ethnic languages don't put a yardstick between like and love but with the education we have on the prowl, we should be able to tell the difference and attach that to our feelings.

Anywayz sha i think the love these dudes talk about is more than like and less than love but dont know how 2 express themselves thereby say love cos if u say u like a girl is like saying well whateva i want u as a friend and not a gf its like asking a gal out without asking her out i hope i am making sense sha anywayz its all these uni boys dat make alot of that mistake
Re: Does Love = Like by Beaf: 11:48pm On Jul 08, 2009
kok:

The truth is, Most of us use dont understand English language in its real sense and dont exactly speak it as it is, rather we "convert" our native language to english instead of translating. So in actual sense, when a guy meets a girl for the first time and tells her he loves her, he is actually trying emphasise his likeness.

for instance, like = like, like + like = 2like, but, like X like = love

Why are you complicating issues? Which mumu no know d difference wit love and like?
[list]
[li]Poor communicator. . . Fail!! (shine your eye)[/li]
[li]Hustler. . . Fail!!! (you be mugu?)[/li]
[/list]
Re: Does Love = Like by TheSeeker(m): 11:51pm On Jul 08, 2009
Kunbee:

Anywayz sha i think the love these dudes talk about is more than like and less than love but dont know how 2 express themselves thereby say love cos if u say u like a girl is like saying well whateva i want u as a friend and not a gf its like asking a gal out without asking her out i hope i am making sense sha anywayz its all these uni boys dat make alot of that mistake

How about saying it like this: 'I like you and most probably love personality so far as I've seen, how about we be in a relationship and hopefully we will come to love each other, if patience permits?" Might not be the perfect starting line but does show some respect from your part to the lady's as well as it conveys your exact thoughts and feelings at present that you like her and looking forward to loving her.
Re: Does Love = Like by Nobody: 12:08am On Jul 09, 2009
Nigerians use words out o context,
imagine my aunty telling me yesterday that i'm self centered just because
i stayed on the computer a little bit too much, and forgot to do some chores
since when did love for something become self centeredness, anyway thats beside the point,
the truth remains that you cannot love what you don't know,
when i was growing up i found it difficult to use the word love for a lady,
i've not fallen in love with, but then i realised that i got turned down for,
telling the truth, so i joined the chorus,
most ladies would rather you tell them I LOVE YOU which could be a lie than, I LIKE YOU AND WOULD LOVE TO KNOW YOU MORE.
SO therefore you simply give what belongs to ceaser to ceaser, if that's what they want to hear then they'll hear lots of it
after all i don't have to pay for it,
na me wan die as monk, grin grin grin cheesy
Re: Does Love = Like by TheSeeker(m): 12:14am On Jul 09, 2009
Kingsleyinfo:

Nigerians use words out o context,
imagine my aunty telling me yesterday that i'm self centered just because
i stayed on the computer a little bit too much, and forgot to do some chores
since when did love for something become self centeredness, anyway thats beside the point,
the truth remains that you cannot love what you don't know,
when i was growing up i found it difficult to use the word love for a lady,
i've not fallen in love with, but then i realised that i got turned down for,
telling the truth, so i joined the chorus,
most ladies would rather you tell them I LOVE YOU which could be a lie than, I LIKE YOU AND WOULD LOVE TO KNOW YOU MORE.
SO therefore you simply give what belongs to ceaser to ceaser, if that's what they want to hear then they'll hear lots of it
after all i don't have to pay for it,
na me wan die as monk, grin grin grin cheesy

Exactly what I'm saying. Tell them you like them and they'll take you for a player out to hurt to them, say you love them and they will start smiling as the sun does to the earth.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Hottest Nigerian Accents / Virginity Above 20; does It Affect Growth? / Six Mistakes Men Make In Marriage.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 117
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.