Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,754 members, 7,831,419 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:27 PM

What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices (40588 Views)

Benny Hinn:Am Guilty Of preaching Prosperity Outside what the Bible teaches / What The Holy Bible Teaches About "Dating And Sex" / Bible Teaches Gender Equality, Why Has Gender Inequality Always Been The Norm? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by sarutobie(m): 10:33am On Mar 13, 2016
GrammarNazi:

It gladdens my heart whenever I come across posts like this; it shows we still have youths that think for themselves rather swallow religious doctrines "hook, line & sinker".

Every point you have raised is true, but I've got one more to add (actually, I've got more than one, but I'd only give one for now and save the others for later).

In Matthew 23:9, Jesus said “And do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and He is in heaven". Obviously, we know he wasn't referring to our biological fathers here.

But what do we have today? Starting with Roman Catholics calling their priests 'Rev Fathers', we move on to pentecostals with titles like 'Daddy G.O.' 'Papa this' and 'Papa that'. When you ask why, they say these guys are their "spiritual fathers" angry
If your pastor is your spiritual father, then God is what? Your biological father? undecided
King James Bible
For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother. Matthew 12:50
King James Bible
For whosoever shall do the will of God, the same is my brother, and my sister, and mother.Mark 3:35

Christ made it clear that whoever does the will of God IS his brother and sister and mother..he said this after his followers told him that his mother and biological siblings wanted to see him..I then ask,why do we leave what was clearly said by the saviour we claim to follow and instead practice that which he himself expressly refuted?

King James Bible
If David then call him Lord, how is he his son? Matthew 22:45....this question was what Christ asked his followers when they kept referring the messiah as the "son of David" he let them know that even though he came from the lineage of David, he was and is the Lord of David and not his son..

New Living Translation
For David himself, speaking under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, said, 'The LORD said to my Lord, Sit in the place of honor at my right hand until I humble your enemies beneath your feet.' Mark 12:36

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by AnonymustME(m): 10:33am On Mar 13, 2016
Churches tell you to believe in God for your needd......but they believe in you for theirs

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by Kenistry(m): 10:33am On Mar 13, 2016
thesicilian:
On the issue of tithes, a lot of people might disagree with you as you have already anticipated.
First tithing did not begin with Jacob, it began with Abraham, when he gave tithes to Melchizedek the priest of the Most High. (Genesis 14:20)
And we're somewhat bound to follow the acts of our great patriarch if we are to enjoy his blessings as ''seeds of Abram''

But the new testament views on tithing are issues of continuing research to me, one would think that for such an important issue as tithing (as our pastors make it out to be), the New Testament Bible would be pretty clear on its stand but this is not the case
the New is clear on tithing. It has bn abolished due to the change in the order of priesthood. Read Hebrews 7
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by khanwale(m): 10:35am On Mar 13, 2016
you speak my mind!! nice
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by geraldhumphrey(m): 10:36am On Mar 13, 2016
this op must be. a Jehovah's witness candidate . . . . .anyways let me sound dis note of warnings to u,no cum ma house cum tell me dis trash odawise u will not live to tell d tale to u fellow (devil's witnessers)

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by khanwale(m): 10:39am On Mar 13, 2016
Sanchez01:
This piece may be hard for dogmatic Christians to digest, largely because they, as dogmatic as they are, have never been encouraged to think on their own and in turn, find out the truth concerning some of the practices I'm about to mention. Therefore, I apologize to anyone who feels slighted or angry at any/every part of my write up which I consider a "hardball". Please be open minded as you take your time to read through this piece.

1. Statues, Symbol of Christ/Mary in Churches is a sin:
God, through Exo 20:3-6 makes His intention known. If you attend a church where symbols, statues of Christ, Mary or Angels are mounted within its premises or you have one at home, then know you're on your own. Christ never commanded this and every action put up in the Old Testament concerning this was purely condemned. You have no business with that statue! (Also read: 1 John 5:21; 1 Cor 10:14). If you have a cross, statue, rosary or image depicting Christ in your home or church, then you are in the congregation of the dead.

2. The Worship of Mary:
The worship or "honour" accorded to Mary by some within the Christian fold is nothing but a misleading. Mary WAS a fortunate vessel used by God to birth Christ. She was a virgin at the time, just like most ladies of then. God could have used anyone. In short, God used anyone and that person was Mary. The Worship of Mary or mentioning her during prayer is a sin. Why? Christ gave a template fro prayer through the Lord's prayer. Mary went on to birth several other children through sexual form with Joseph.

[/color]
Notice the Halo around Mary (especially her head). That is an idolatrous practice of Christians which symbolizes deity (that she is equal with God). The Babylonians practiced the same idolatrous worship to the Queen of Heaven. Mary is NOT deity, she was a normal every-day woman. God makes CLEAR in His Word that He will NOT share His glory with another (that includes Mary).
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Roman%20Catholicism/bowing_to_mary_is_a_sin.htm

3. Church Marriage:
This is perhaps a practice Christ would never be happy with. Why? The church from the onset has no right joining a couple together. Never! [color=#990000]
When a man and a woman agrees to marry, as far as they have sought both parents' consent, then they have God's favour and not the church's. Unfortunately, most churches prioritize this practice even more than the traditional wedding which started with Abraham's family in the Old Testament [/color]. Most ladies even live for the moment of church wedding without realizing the practice is wrong. Does it not baffle us as Christians that the wedding at Cana Christ attended was neither conducted in a temple or on a religious ground? Does it not speak volume, that despite being Christ, He did not lay any example as to how weddings should be conducted in the Scripture? Western wedding tradition has crept into the Nigerian church and our pastors are even outdoing those who started it. Amazing!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_wedding

4. Christmas:
Ah... Everyone loves this season. Who doesn't? Everyone feels it and breathes it when it is near. Unfortunately, the origin of December 25 is idolatry. Christ was never born on the 25th of December. Christ said, [color=#990000]
. Christmas is not a command of God—it is a tradition of men. Christ continued, . Every year, throughout the world, on December 25th, hundreds of millions do just that! Read more on the origin of Christmas here: http://www.hope-of-israel.org/cmas1.htm

5. Tithe:
At this point, I know many will come for me. Therefore, this may be longer to drive my point home. Tithing started with Jacob and not on God's instruction, contrary to the belief of many people. [/color]Voila! And it started. But what was the original tithing system before the popular Malachi 3:10 method.

[color=#990000]

The passage above was the proper way of tithing; use your money to buy what your soul lust after and eat before God. Why pastors don't preach this, I don't know. Greed, perhaps. Christ while on earth in human form taught man all he needed to know about God's worship and living with fellow men. From prayer, to fasting, to offering, to giving, to sacrificing, etc. What did He say about tithing? Nothing! What did the Apostles teach about tithing? Nothing! As a matter of fact, Christ paid tax to an earthly government, prayed, fasted, gave, sacrificed and so on, but did He pay tithe at all? No! [color=#990000][/color]

I know many will claim "we operate both the Old and the New Testament". If this is true, how come we don't practice some of the commandments in in Leviticus 15

1. As the Old Testament practice, a woman with her monthly flow MUST not come near the Temple because she's unclean. Do churches examine this? NO! Save a few (white garments).
2. When a woman is caught in the act of adultery, the Old Testament practice was instant killing by stoning her to death. Does it happen in Christianity today? No! If we operate both Testaments, how come we cannot carry out this act? Simple! Because Christ demonstrated the perfect example - forgiveness. Under Christ, some Old practices were abolished, including tithing which is an Old Testament practice to the then Israel. It is hypocrisy to pick some parts of the Scripture that suits you and dump the rest.

There, you know which is which. Which should be abolished and which should be done away with. Happy Sunday wink
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by somegirl1: 10:42am On Mar 13, 2016
Sanchez01:

We cannot call that the standard one tenth as commanded by God. Why? Because tithes are never meant to be given to given to priests and kings, which Melchizedek doubled as. As a king, it was more of a tribute. Abraham, at every turn acknowledged he was a stranger in every land he found himself in, despite being promised to be the one to inherit the earth through his offspring. Tithes are never to man but to God.

How can you pay tithe to God directly? Suggestions please...
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by dorox10: 10:43am On Mar 13, 2016
I love ur post Op but u are centimental with ur point of views. It is better not to air a view than to do it, especially when it relates to subjects u do not understand.....
I am ready to educate u about Tithing and chrismas celebration if u OP and other five NL ask me to do so
But for now enjoy ur sunday
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by wizard(m): 10:43am On Mar 13, 2016
akaahs:
You shall not bow down to them or serve them (Ex. 20:45); Alas, this people have sinned a great sin; they have made for themselves gods of gold(Ex.32:31). It is right to warn people against the sin of idolatry when they are committing it. But calling other Christians most especially Catholics idolaters because they have images of Christ and Saints is based on misunderstanding or ignorance of what the Bible says about the purpose and uses (both good and bad) of statues. God forbade the workship of statues, but he did not forbid the religious use of statues. Instead, he actually commanded their use in religious contexts!
In Ex. 25:18-22; 26:1; 31, for example, God commands the making of image of golden chorus. This heavenly image, of of course, is not worshiped by the Israelites. Instead, the image dispose their minds to the supernatural and draws them to God. God also command the making of broze serpent. One had to look at the broze statue of the serpent to be heale, which shows that statues could be used ritually, not merely as religious decoration s. The image of the bronze serpent is not an idol to be worshiped, but an article that lifts the mind of the supernatural (Num.21:cool. Solomon s temple contains statues of cherubium and images that were used in worship(1 Kings 6:23-36;7:27-39;8:6-67). it was only when the people began to worship the statuein 2 Kings 18:4 that they did incur Gods wrath, and the King destroyed it. The command prohibiting the use of graven images deals exclusively with the false worship of those images. The only image of God that Catholics worship is Jesus Christ, who is the "image" (Greek "eikon"wink of the invisible God (col.1:15).
God's commandment in Deu.5:8- "thou shall not make a graven image'' is entirely connected to the worship of false gods. God does not prohibit images to be worship, but He prohibits the images themselves to be workshiped as idols. Christions, especially Catholics use images in worship and devotions; we do not use ''idols''. The different lies in what we believe about them. An ''idol'' is something made that is not simply used in worship, but itself is the object of worship. Sacrifices and obligations are offered to idols, since sacrificed is the root of any true worship. An image is something that is used in worship, but is not itself the object of worship. Sacrifices and oblation are not offered to images.
I hope these write up 'll enlighten our Protestants brethren. I 'll be posting on the issue about Why do catholics venerate the virgin Mary, the issue of Tithe, How we got Chrismas, Christmas Tree and Santa Claus.

U said it all, most ppl re ignorant of what d bible teaches and what the church practises, I would also like to add to it ,dat Jesus bfr His ascension gave d "APOSTLES", nt d disciples, d power wen He said dat wat dey bind on earth is bound in heaven n wat dey loose on earth is loosed in heaven!!!
I'm sure u wud also say confessions re wrong as dey made to priest as well as oda doctrines... Let us not be "solo-scriptural" in d sense dat we read d bible n make any meanin we deem fit from d passages,we need d Holy spirit to help us understand n "shephards"(priest,pastor etc) to explain it more... If dey were not important,y den did Christ refer to dem as Shephards?
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by shockwave(m): 10:44am On Mar 13, 2016
I just stirred the hornet's nest with point #3 and my fiancee grin grin grin...let me help her lower her cranial temperature! Kikikikiki

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by jaey(m): 10:44am On Mar 13, 2016
thesicilian:
On the issue of tithes, a lot of people might disagree with you as you have already anticipated.
First tithing did not begin with Jacob, it began with Abraham, when he gave tithes to Melchizedek the priest of the Most High. (Genesis 14:20)
And we're somewhat bound to follow the acts of our great patriarch if we are to enjoy his blessings as ''seeds of Abram''

But the new testament views on tithing are issues of continuing research to me, one would think that for such an important issue as tithing (as our pastors make it out to be), the New Testament Bible would be pretty clear on its stand but this is not the case

You are right!
Started with Abraham not Jacob.

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by Fran6ik: 10:45am On Mar 13, 2016
The Bible Is A Catholic Book –
Did you ever wonder how the Bible came into being? A little known, but easily documented fact is that the books of the Bible were
compiled by the Catholic Church. For many years after
Christ ascended into Heaven, there was debate about which
scriptural writings were inspired by God. The canon of
Scripture (the books of the Bible) was first formally decided
at the Synod of Rome in 382. This decision was upheld at
the Councils of Hippo (393) and Carthage (397). At these
Catholic Church councils, the same 46 Old Testament and
27 New Testament books that appear in today’s Catholic
Bibles were declared to be inspired by God. As a side note,
approximately 1200 years after this decision was made,
Martin Luther and the Protestant reformers removed 7
books from the Old Testament. As a result, most Protestant
Bibles are still missing these 7 books and also gave interpretations of the bible to ENGLISH LANGUAGE which the Catholic church faulted.

Do not conclude on any issue about Christianity practices as u see today without going through their detailed source and biblical concerns.

Also not that these ur socalled pagans way of worship are all suppose be attributed to God for he created the spirits in those gods
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by Sanchez01: 10:46am On Mar 13, 2016
geraldhumphrey:
this op must be. a Jehovah's witness candidate . . . . .anyways let me sound dis note of warnings to u,no cum ma house cum tell me dis trash odawise u will not live to tell d tale to u fellow (devil's witnessers)
Sorry, I'm no JW member. As a matter of fact, I didn't know JW don't pay tithe until I wrote this piece and a lot of persons asked if I had changed church. I'm Pentecostal but the truth is what it is.
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by lobiologs(m): 10:48am On Mar 13, 2016
I don't believe in organised religion anymore, too much contradictions and falsifying of facts. There's a supreme being, if we all accepted this and stopped giving him different names and comparing, probably wars would have being averted.
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by mackhunter77: 10:49am On Mar 13, 2016
EVERYBODY KNOWS CHRISTMAS IS A PAGAN PRACTICE.....EVEN WIKIPEDIA WAS UNEQUIVOCAL ABOUT ITS ORIGIN

BUT TITHING STARTED WITH ABRAHAM TO THE BEST OF MY BIBLE KNOWLEDGE COS ABRAHAM GAVE TITHE TOA HIGH PRIEST.....TITHING IS A SENSITIVE SUBJECT BUT I THINK WE SHOULD ALL STUDY THE BIBLE AND DETERMINE THE BEST PATTERN COS DROPPING TITHES IN CHURCH HAS NOT DONE ENOUGH TO RENDER HELP TO THE UNDERPRIVILEGED IN SOCIETY.
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by Sanchez01: 10:53am On Mar 13, 2016
somegirl1:

How can you pay tithe to God directly? Suggestions please...
Tithing to God in the Old Testament came in several forms. The most direct was taking your substance to the Temple (mostly meats) and burning it before the Ark. The Bible made it clear that God took delight in the aroma. The concept of money tithing was because the Levite were not working and they were seen as liabilities on the other tribe. Hence, to ease their burdens, monetary tithes became a means of their survival. God instructed this and it was this sole reason that made the Levite the only ones who serve and functioned as both priests and choristers in the Temple.
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by bodyloveghetto(m): 10:54am On Mar 13, 2016
Sanchez01:
This piece may be hard for dogmatic Christians to digest, largely because they, as dogmatic as they are, have never been encouraged to think on their own and in turn, find out the truth concerning some of the practices I'm about to mention. Therefore, I apologize to anyone who feels slighted or angry at any/every part of my write up which I consider a "hardball". Please be open minded as you take your time to read through this piece.

God, through Exo 20:3-6 makes His intention known. If you attend a church where symbols, statues of Christ, Mary or Angels are mounted within its premises or you have one at home, then know you're on your own. Christ never commanded this and every action put up in the Old Testament concerning this was purely condemned. You have no business with that statue! (Also read: 1 John 5:21; 1 Cor 10:14). If you have a cross, statue, rosary or image depicting Christ in your home or church, then you are in the congregation of the dead.

2. The Worship of Mary:
The worship or "honour" accorded to Mary by some within the Christian fold is nothing but a misleading. Mary WAS a fortunate vessel used by God to birth Christ. She was a virgin at the time, just like most ladies of then. God could have used anyone. In short, God used anyone and that person was Mary. The Worship of Mary or mentioning her during prayer is a sin. Why? Christ gave a template fro prayer through the Lord's prayer. Mary went on to birth several other children through sexual form with Joseph.

[/color]
Notice the Halo around Mary (especially her head). That is an idolatrous practice of Christians which symbolizes deity (that she is equal with God). The Babylonians practiced the same idolatrous worship to the Queen of Heaven. Mary is NOT deity, she was a normal every-day woman. God makes CLEAR in His Word that He will NOT share His glory with another (that includes Mary).
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Roman%20Catholicism/bowing_to_mary_is_a_sin.htm

3. Church Marriage:
This is perhaps a practice Christ would never be happy with. Why? The church from the onset has no right joining a couple together. Never! [color=#990000]
When a man and a woman agrees to marry, as far as they have sought both parents' consent, then they have God's favour and not the church's. Unfortunately, most churches prioritize this practice even more than the traditional wedding which started with Abraham's family in the Old Testament [/color]. Most ladies even live for the moment of church wedding without realizing the practice is wrong. Does it not baffle us as Christians that the wedding at Cana Christ attended was neither conducted in a temple or on a religious ground? Does it not speak volume, that despite being Christ, He did not lay any example as to how weddings should be conducted in the Scripture? Western wedding tradition has crept into the Nigerian church and our pastors are even outdoing those who started it. Amazing!

4. Christmas:
Ah... Everyone loves this season. Who doesn't? Everyone feels it and breathes it when it is near. Unfortunately, the origin of December 25 is idolatry. Christ was never born on the 25th of December. Christ said, [color=#990000]
. Christmas is not a command of God—it is a tradition of men. Christ continued, . Every year, throughout the world, on December 25th, hundreds of millions do just that! Read more on the origin of Christmas here: http://www.hope-of-israel.org/cmas1.htm

5. Tithe:
At this point, I know many will come for me. Therefore, this may be longer to drive my point home. Tithing started with Jacob and not on God's instruction, contrary to the belief of many people. [/color]Voila! And it started. But what was the original tithing system before the popular Malachi 3:10 method.

[color=#990000]

The passage above was the proper way of tithing; use your money to buy what your soul lust after and eat before God. Why pastors don't preach this, I don't know. Greed, perhaps. Christ while on earth in human form taught man all he needed to know about God's worship and living with fellow men. From prayer, to fasting, to offering, to giving, to sacrificing, etc. What did He say about tithing? Nothing! What did the Apostles teach about tithing? Nothing! As a matter of fact, Christ paid tax to an earthly government, prayed, fasted, gave, sacrificed and so on, but did He pay tithe at all? No! [color=#990000][/color]

I know many will claim "we operate both the Old and the New Testament". If this is true, how come we don't practice some of the commandments in in Leviticus 15

1. As the Old Testament practice, a woman with her monthly flow MUST not come near the Temple because she's unclean. Do churches examine this? NO! Save a few (white garments).
2. When a woman is caught in the act of adultery, the Old Testament practice was instant killing by stoning her to death. Does it happen in Christianity today? No! If we operate both Testaments, how come we cannot carry out this act? Simple! Because Christ demonstrated the perfect example - forgiveness. Under Christ, some Old practices were abolished, including tithing which is an Old Testament practice to the then Israel. It is hypocrisy to pick some parts of the Scripture that suits you and dump the rest.

There, you know which is which. Which should be abolished and which should be done away with. Happy Sunday wink

I also agree with ur outlines, this teachings as been false, and in wrong ways... most to gain self respect n earn larger (pastors)...

Pls go watch "Book of Eli"...
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by Chukzyfcb(m): 10:55am On Mar 13, 2016
Do you know that the old system of praticing tithe, indicates
- You should eat your tithe @ some point
- Give to the widows & needy

Also do you know that abraham didt tithe from his property but from the spoils of war?

Also you cannot say Jacob tithe, Jacob made a request to God(made a vow) in return for 10% if granted. That's no tithe!

Do you know that the only priest required to collect tithe are Levite priest. Christ is from the judah tribe. Even if we were to pay tithe, christ is not ALLOWED to accept tithe!

I remember Pastor chrisoyahkilome once said, He never believed in tithe, he said he was strongly an Opposition until he got into the ministry....I.e Pastor chris embraced tithe coz he was now into Pastoral duties where it'll be favourable to accept tithes.......
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by Kenistry(m): 10:56am On Mar 13, 2016
Sanchez01:

The same passages you gave as references to tithe is the same someone gave me just almost two weeks ago. Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought you to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
Was Christ teaching about tithe? No, He was highlighting the hypocritical nature of the Pharisees and Scribes who carry out the Mosaic Law thinking they are better than others when in reality they are not. Please re-read the passage to understand what Christ meant.
Jesus was also talking abt the pharisees keeping some of d mosaic laws and omitting some. You must keep all d laws to be righteous before God. U cant select some and leave some jst as the tithe preachers do
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by unto(m): 10:58am On Mar 13, 2016
All these religious fanatics should shut up we don't know anything about God. What he will judge nobody knows live according to what you believe in. The mind of God is far far from the mind of Man stop condemning other churches. Bro what is sin? Let me tell you sin remain a mystery.
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by bnovative(m): 11:00am On Mar 13, 2016
thesicilian:

Luke 11:42 - But woe unto you,
Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and
rue and all manner of herbs, and
pass over judgment and the love
of God: these ought ye to have
done, and not to leave the other
undone.

NIV
“Woe to you Pharisees, because you
give God a tenth of your mint, rue and all
other kinds of garden herbs, but you
neglect justice and the love of God. You
should have practiced the latter without
leaving the former undone.
TLB

“But woe to you Pharisees! For though
you are careful to tithe even the smallest
part of your income, you completely
forget about justice and the love of God.
You should tithe, yes, but you should not
leave these other things undone.
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by stasius: 11:01am On Mar 13, 2016
Liar from the pit of hell. Who told you that the mother of God is just a fortunate vessel? God has predestined her from the beginning to be the mother of the incarnate word.
Ave maria!.!.

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by phanshark(m): 11:01am On Mar 13, 2016
Sanchez01:

2. The Worship of Mary:

[/color]

3. Church Marriage:

4. Christmas:

5. Tithe:

[color=#990000]

so,jacob Senior abraham! Lol....
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by wisesoul(m): 11:01am On Mar 13, 2016
Before the coming of Jesus Christ, the church was in existence, when Jesus came he change some of the churches teaching but not all, after Jesus left, he handed over the church to Peter who the Catholic named as the first Pope. As long as people worship him in spirit and in truth and there prayers are answered, I don't have issues with them. Tithe giving is tied to your faith, no church forces you to give it, it depends on your faith. The Birth of Jesus Christ (who we Christian's called our saviour) is worth celebrating the same goes with His Resurrection. Either Dogmatic or not, get it clear that the Bible does not keep record of everything that Jesus did when He was on earth, so how will know some of the things he did and places he went to? what if some of the things you mentioned above are approved by God, how will you feel when you get to heaven and realise you have led many astray and what will become of you? I am not judging you but just worship God in spirit and truth and advice others to do so, so that Holy Spirit can ministered on to them. The Old and New Testament are both of almost importance, don't dump the old for the new.

2 Likes

Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by Koboseadotorg(m): 11:04am On Mar 13, 2016
ryom:
Except the tithe: Tithe is still relevant relevant, which is why Jesus said do it but more importantly do justice, mercy and faithfulness. Matt23:23, LK 11:42.
Wedding in church neither right nor wrong but tradition. In many places people don't marry in church anymore but you must have someone in authority and a few people as witnesses, and of course parental consent. So also wedding/engagement rings, these are not scripture but not necessarily wrong. So you can marry in court, by the beach, in your sitting room etc.

Christmas is tradition dating from Constantine. It is neither right nor wrong to choose a date to celebrate the birthday of Jesus. Whether it is right or wrong to do it on a day that previously was a pagan celebration is up for debate, but you not required to do it in Scriptures. The main New Testament ordinances are Holy Communion and Water Baptism.

There are a lot of traditions that get incorporated into faith practice locally. The important thing is to know what is scripture and what is not. What is scripture you are obligated to do, what is not, you're not. Trouble is, many people don't read their Bibles.

5567 Likes
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by sinistermind(m): 11:04am On Mar 13, 2016
GrammarNazi:

It gladdens my heart whenever I come across posts like this; it shows we still have youths that think for themselves rather swallow religious doctrines "hook, line & sinker".

Every point you have raised is true, but I've got one more to add (actually, I've got more than one, but I'd only give one for now and save the others for later).

In Matthew 23:9, Jesus said “And do not call anyone on earth 'father,' for you have one Father, and He is in heaven". Obviously, we know he wasn't referring to our biological fathers here.

But what do we have today? Starting with Roman Catholics calling their priests 'Rev Fathers', we move on to pentecostals with titles like 'Daddy G.O.' 'Papa this' and 'Papa that'. When you ask why, they say these guys are their "spiritual fathers" angry
If your pastor is your spiritual father, then God is what? Your biological father? undecided

You can like to call ur dad by name.

2 Likes

Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by SycophanticGoat: 11:05am On Mar 13, 2016
Sanchez01:

2. The Worship of Mary:

[/color]

3. Church Marriage:

4. Christmas:

5. Tithe:

[color=#990000]

I agree with all you've said except that of the wedding, because your statement showed that God approves it when the man and woman approves it but it doesn't show that practicing that of the church is a sin. Every other ones are spotless from the worshipping of idols, to that of Mary, to the tithe and to Christmas..
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by dorox10: 11:05am On Mar 13, 2016
@Wisesoul
God bless
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by SycophanticGoat: 11:07am On Mar 13, 2016
GrammarNazi:

Another spotless piece.. Kudos!

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by Nobody: 11:08am On Mar 13, 2016
akaahs:
You shall not bow down to them or serve them (Ex. 20:45); Alas, this people have sinned a great sin; they have made for themselves gods of gold(Ex.32:31). It is right to warn people against the sin of idolatry when they are committing it. But calling other Christians most especially Catholics idolaters because they have images of Christ and Saints is based on misunderstanding or ignorance of what the Bible says about the purpose and uses (both good and bad) of statues. God forbade the workship of statues, but he did not forbid the religious use of statues. Instead, he actually commanded their use in religious contexts!
In Ex. 25:18-22; 26:1; 31, for example, God commands the making of image of golden chorus. This heavenly image, of of course, is not worshiped by the Israelites. Instead, the image dispose their minds to the supernatural and draws them to God. God also command the making of broze serpent. One had to look at the broze statue of the serpent to be heale, which shows that statues could be used ritually, not merely as religious decoration s. The image of the bronze serpent is not an idol to be worshiped, but an article that lifts the mind of the supernatural (Num.21:cool. Solomon s temple contains statues of cherubium and images that were used in worship(1 Kings 6:23-36;7:27-39;8:6-67). it was only when the people began to worship the statuein 2 Kings 18:4 that they did incur Gods wrath, and the King destroyed it. The command prohibiting the use of graven images deals exclusively with the false worship of those images. The only image of God that Catholics worship is Jesus Christ, who is the "image" (Greek "eikon"wink of the invisible God (col.1:15).
God's commandment in Deu.5:8- "thou shall not make a graven image'' is entirely connected to the worship of false gods. God does not prohibit images to be worship, but He prohibits the images themselves to be workshiped as idols. Christions, especially Catholics use images in worship and devotions; we do not use ''idols''. The different lies in what we believe about them. An ''idol'' is something made that is not simply used in worship, but itself is the object of worship. Sacrifices and obligations are offered to idols, since sacrificed is the root of any true worship. An image is something that is used in worship, but is not itself the object of worship.

Sacrifices and oblation are not offered to images.

I hope these write up 'll enlighten our Protestants brethren. I 'll be posting on the issue about Why do catholics venerate the virgin Mary, the issue of Tithe, How we got Chrismas, Christmas Tree and Santa Claus.

Well, sacrifices do not have to be blood. Praise is a sacrifice. A spiritual sacrifice that is more important than animal sacrifice. Honour is a sacrifice. Incense, lighting candles, etc is a form of sacrifice. Words are used in worship. Bowing a and kneeling is like the previous, a form of sacrifice. It is for that reason that there is a spirit masquerading as mary (as in fatima, etc) and appearing to catholics everywhere calling on more oblation. That image, is an idol, a god that has grown very fat on people's oblation over the years.

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by sinistermind(m): 11:08am On Mar 13, 2016
I prefer not to say anything on this topic. We say these things, but there are people that have one or two thing to say about everything you said to assert their beliefs in what you listed. Be careful about condemning religious beliefs. Whether you like it or not, the Bible was compiled by men like ourselves and not by a supernatural force or being.
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by viexcey(f): 11:09am On Mar 13, 2016
Salvation is personal, leave others to their belief and focus on yours.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Jesus Disciple Fellowship Expose / Folu Adeboye And Faith Oyedepo Pictured Together / Apostle Johnson Suleman's Son, Ebenezer (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 153
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.