Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,871 members, 7,813,967 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 10:57 PM

What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices - Religion (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices (40494 Views)

Benny Hinn:Am Guilty Of preaching Prosperity Outside what the Bible teaches / What The Holy Bible Teaches About "Dating And Sex" / Bible Teaches Gender Equality, Why Has Gender Inequality Always Been The Norm? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by Sanchez01: 1:09pm On Mar 13, 2016
Uffakowoicho:
if tithing is defined by one-tenth of the item then it started with Jacob but if it is defined by the first turn out of the item,it started with Cain n Abel in Gen 4:3~4.
the analysis of tithe giving is clearly stated in Gen 20:22~30
remember it's the same bible that said whatever is banned on earth is banned in heaven n whatever is accepted on earth is accepted in heaven.
open ur mind n let God's spirit lead u in d right path.
Tithing is definitely defined by one tenth of what you have. Cain and Abel gave a kind of offering which is called the first fruit. They are very different.
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by rev2214(m): 1:11pm On Mar 13, 2016
linusbnn:

Where is mary?
I believe in heaven, like Abraham, Issac and Jacob
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by snailspeed: 1:11pm On Mar 13, 2016
dreams1987:

I don't know how u see it buh the important thing there is the significance of the birth of christ. If a day set aside for a roman god has now been converted to celebrate the birth of our lord Jesus then its a wonderful thing. As long as the significance of Jesus christ's birth is know then its a good thing

There is no where you are supposed to celebrate the significance of the birth of Christ. There are things you are supposed to celebrate and they clearly spelt out in scriptures. Why create new ones that nobody sent you to? Because those that created it were pagans who wanted to carry their pagan worship into Christianity. So why join them and approve their practice?
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by linusbnn(m): 1:13pm On Mar 13, 2016
snailspeed:

Jesus Himself denied that Mary as His mother. First, when he was twelve years old, he told both Mary and Joseph that he had to go do His father's will. Obviously referring to a different father. When once Mary and his other brothers came to look for Him and someone informed Him that his mother and brothers were around, He said clearl, "Who is my Mother and brothers? Those who ae listening to me are my mother and brothers".

Again, when he was on the cross, He looked down and saw John and Mary and said to them "Son behold thy mother and mother, behold thy son".

Again, at the upper room, Mary had to wait like every other person to receive the Holy Spirit. There was no special treatment for Mary as mother of Jesus.

What is most heretical though is the term, mother of God. God has no mother. Mother of God is a heathen/pagan title giving to the goddess semiramis or astheroth. It is pure idol worship. Those who call Mary the mother of God also call her the queen of heaven. Heaven has no queen. Jesus even said to us clearly that in heaven, there are no males no females.

Jesus said I and my father are one. If Mary is the mother of jesus,then she is the mother of God. Mary was prepared for the life circle of jesus and thus,she was a fulfilled woman who is worthy of a crown. Whether you like it or not, Mary is our mother and she intercedes. Pple lie down to greet the mother,wife of a president,governor etc.....
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by icybeth(m): 1:14pm On Mar 13, 2016
malvisguy212:
@. I agree with everything you said except christmas, the day of christ birth may be unknown, but First, a person who was born on February 29 (leap year) only celebrate his birthday after 4 years, is it sinful to chose another day to celebrate it ? Or if your birthday fall on saturday (saturn) will you celebrate it ? In 1 corinthians 8 paul is saying we should not in anyway aknowlegde this pagan gods exist.
Bible account do not said any good thing about birthday and do not support its practice. why is it that the apostles in past did not celebrate Christmas?
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by Sanchez01: 1:16pm On Mar 13, 2016
phanshark:
wt about malakai 3:8-10?
An old practice. Read it carefully. It was mandated because Levites needed to be fed and anyone who cut corners by failing to bring his tithe is a robber who had robbed God. Note, there was the mention of a storehouse. This is so because whatever was brought, mostly food back then, was stored in the storehouse so that Levites would not lack. Malachi 3:8 is the only book in the Old Testament that explicitly talked about bringing tithes and its effect. We don't bring food now, do we? Plus, there's no storehouse anymore. Christ even from the Royal tribe of Judah did not pay, neither did He preach about this. The twelve tribe had scattered in the New Testament because Christ was around. The priests and kings held the people together in the Old, they all disappeared in the New, along with this very practice.
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by effty(m): 1:18pm On Mar 13, 2016
Read Mark 3:31-35
linusbnn:

I didn't say she performed the miracle,but her intercession was what prompted Jesus into performing the miracle. She was address as being blessed among women by Angel Gabriel and pple sees her as a normal woman. If only pple can bear it when their mum is reffered to as common.
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by linusbnn(m): 1:19pm On Mar 13, 2016
rev2214:

I believe in heaven, like Abraham, Issac and Jacob

And she cannot plead for u even when a living being can plead for you. Broda try believe that Mary is not just an ordinary woman. She is close to the heart of God and that is why she found favour from God. I believe there were million women during her time. I honour her.
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by effty(m): 1:19pm On Mar 13, 2016
Another lame argument. Read Mark 3:31-35
linusbnn:

Jesus said I and my father are one. If Mary is the mother of jesus,then she is the mother of God. Mary was prepared for the life circle of jesus and thus,she was a fulfilled woman who is worthy of a crown. Whether you like it or not, Mary is our mother and she intercedes. Pple lie down to greet the mother,wife of a president,governor etc.....
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by snailspeed: 1:21pm On Mar 13, 2016
linusbnn:

God has no mother. Thats totally heretical. Once you talk about the mother of God, you have become an idol worshipper who worships semiramis who is also called the queen of heaven. See what God says about those who worship the queen of heaven

Jeremiah 7:16-19King James Version (KJV)

16 Therefore pray not thou for this people, neither lift up cry nor prayer for them, neither make intercession to me: for I will not hear thee.

17 Seest thou not what they do in the cities of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem?

18 The children gather wood, and the fathers kindle the fire, and the women knead their dough, to make cakes to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto other gods, that they may provoke me to anger.

19 Do they provoke me to anger? saith the Lord: do they not provoke themselves to the confusion of their own faces?
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by linusbnn(m): 1:23pm On Mar 13, 2016
effty:
Read Mark 3:31-35

Does that change her from being her mother?. Read John 19:25-27
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by Sanchez01: 1:23pm On Mar 13, 2016
linusbnn:

Give me the name of one of the other children of mary. At the cross, jesus handed over Mary to John the beloved and said mother this is your child and child this is your mother,if there are other children of mary,why will jesus take total possession of her in handling her to john?. Please read John 19:25-27.
The other children of Mary were insignificant to the cause of God. They played no role because they went about their businesses as mere people. Mary did the same. She went about her business as a wife to Joseph and other children, not as the mother of God.
…47Someone said to Him, "Behold, Your mother and Your brothers are standing outside seeking to speak to You." 48But Jesus answered the one who was telling Him and said, "Who is My mother and who are My brothers?" 49And stretching out His hand toward His disciples, He said, "Behold My mother and My brothers!…
On several occasions, Jesus denied Mary as a mother, not because He hated her, no. But because He unburdened Himself from family ties. He did so two-three times in the New Testament! Mary was and is not the mother of God, biko.

3 Likes

Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by snailspeed: 1:23pm On Mar 13, 2016
linusbnn:

And she cannot plead for u even when a living being can plead for you. Broda try believe that Mary is not just an ordinary woman. She is close to the heart of God and that is why she found favour from God. I believe there were million women during her time. I honour her.

You are talking your personal sentiments, not scriptures. That you feel your physical mother has the right to plead for you to your neighbours doesnt confer on Mary any speacial right to plead for you. There is no where in the bible you are told Mary can or should plead for you. You are told to come boldly to the throne of God (Grace) and obtain mercy. Not ask someone to plead for you

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by linusbnn(m): 1:25pm On Mar 13, 2016
snailspeed:

God has no mother. Thats totally heretical. Once you talk about the mother of God, you have become an idol worshipper who worships semiramis who is also called the queen of heaven. See what God says about those who worship the queen of heaven

Jeremiah 7:16-19King James Version (KJV)

16 Therefore pray not thou for this people, neither lift up cry nor prayer for them, neither make intercession to me: for I will not hear thee.

17 Seest thou not what they do in the cities of Judah and in the streets of Jerusalem?

18 The children gather wood, and the fathers kindle the fire, and the women knead their dough, to make cakes to the queen of heaven, and to pour out drink offerings unto other gods, that they may provoke me to anger.

19 Do they provoke me to anger? saith the Lord: do they not provoke themselves to the confusion of their own faces?

Is jesus God?
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by snailspeed: 1:25pm On Mar 13, 2016
linusbnn:

Does that change her from being her mother?. Read John 19:25-27

Mary is human just like everyone else. Jesus is God from heaven. To claim that a mere woman created by God is now a mother to God is not only ridiculous, it is heretical!

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by Sanchez01: 1:26pm On Mar 13, 2016
tonyx4x44:

why sunday for church service a day dedicated to the roman sungod
So are all other days of dedicated to several Roman gods and goddesses. Originally, the Sabbath as commanded is on Saturday, not on Sundays. You should see through it already.
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by effty(m): 1:26pm On Mar 13, 2016
Hehehehe... That is lobbying
linusbnn:

We ask her to intercede and take our request to his son JESUS who will channel it to God. Mother's request is hardly declined by the good child.
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by linusbnn(m): 1:27pm On Mar 13, 2016
snailspeed:

Many is human just like everyone else. Jesus is God from heaven. To claim that a mere woman created by God is now a mother to God is not only ridiculous, it is heretical!

Do you believe jesus is God?
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by Lateralmaths(m): 1:28pm On Mar 13, 2016
thesicilian:
On the issue of tithes, a lot of people might disagree with you as you have already anticipated.
First tithing did not begin with Jacob, it began with Abraham, when he gave tithes to Melchizedek the priest of the Most High. (Genesis 14:20)
And we're somewhat bound to follow the acts of our great patriarch if we are to enjoy his blessings as ''seeds of Abram''

But the new testament views on tithing are issues of continuing research to me, one would think that for such an important issue as tithing (as our pastors make it out to be), the New Testament Bible would be pretty clear on its stand but this is not the case

and if we are to tithe as Abraham did, then everyone one should tithe once in a lifetime on spoils of war only.
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by snailspeed: 1:28pm On Mar 13, 2016
linusbnn:

Is jesus God?

Jesus is God and thats why He rejected Mary as His real mother. Mary was just a vessel he had to use to enter earth. Mary died just like every other human and will be judged in the last day like everone else. Jesus said clearly that he had a different father from Jospeh and didnt even mention Mary as a mother. Jesus created Mary and Mary cannot become the mother of her creator. Does that even make any iota of sense or meaning to you?

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by linusbnn(m): 1:29pm On Mar 13, 2016
snailspeed:

You are talking your personal sentiments, not scriptures. That you feel your physical mother has the right to plead for you to your neighbours doesnt confer on Mary any speacial right to plead for you. There is no where in the bible you are told Mary can or should plead for you. You are told to come boldly to the throne of God (Grace) ad obtain mercy. Not ask someone to plead for you

She displayed her intercession at the marriage feast at cana. Is it not biblical?
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by ExcelP: 1:30pm On Mar 13, 2016
Brother, you got to read your Bible again. As for tithing:

1. Abraham Commenced it. (Actually long before the 10' commandment and the Law and Moses Era).  Gen. 14:20, Heb. 7:4.

2. Jacob Continued it. Gen. 28:22.

3. Moses Commanded it. Deu. 12:6; 14:23. 

4. Christ Commended it. Matt. 23:23, Lk. 11:42 (This is even within the Grace Period of Christ, after Moses and the Law Period).

5. Nobody can Cancel it. (Born Again Israelites still gives tithes till today. Don't be left out. Join the wagon) ! [color=#990000][/color][b][/b]
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by patrickgeddes: 1:31pm On Mar 13, 2016
i concur with everyother thing.... except the issue of tithe which was mention twice in the bible ... both in the old testament
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by linusbnn(m): 1:31pm On Mar 13, 2016
snailspeed:

Jesus is God and thats why He rejected Mary as His real mother. Mary was just a vessel he had to use to enter earth. Mary died just like every other human and will be judged in the last day like everone else. Jesus said clearly that he had a different father from Jospeh and didnt even mention Mary as a mother. Jesus created Mary and Mary cannot become the mother of her creator. Does that even make any iota of sense or meaning to you?

Jesus in john 19:25-27 called mary mother,who are you to think otherwise?
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by effty(m): 1:32pm On Mar 13, 2016
He will appeal to emotions nd all what-not. Statement like "my mother is my second father". Bla bla
snailspeed:

Mary is human just like everyone else. Jesus is God from heaven. To claim that a mere woman created by God is now a mother to God is not only ridiculous, it is heretical!
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by effty(m): 1:33pm On Mar 13, 2016
The question is where was it specifically stated that u should pray through Mary or honour Mary.
linusbnn:

Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by snailspeed: 1:34pm On Mar 13, 2016
linusbnn:

She displayed her intercession at the marriage feast at cana. Is it not biblical?

She did not display any intercession. You are conjuring things up!

The wine was finished. She asked Jesus to please help out? How is that displaying intercession? So many people asked Jesus for things throughout His ministry, not just Mary. Should we also ask all those people to pray for us? Your assertion is just absurd!

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by tmanuelle(m): 1:34pm On Mar 13, 2016
jayrock:
mind of a PHILOSOPHER. Nice one bro

Wrong! Mind of a Jehovah's Witness

I agree with every other thing but not with the Xmas thing?

Nothing wrong celebrating the birth of Christ on any day I chose. I might as well choose June 10th.

MARS or no MARS, Romans know what they are celebrating, I know what I am celebrating on that Dec 25th.
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by linusbnn(m): 1:34pm On Mar 13, 2016
effty:
Hehehehe... That is lobbying

Lobbying is allowed. Bible said the prayer of the righteous is appreciated more. That is why we run to those who we see as priests nd pastors.
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by snailspeed: 1:36pm On Mar 13, 2016
linusbnn:

John 19:25-27King James Version (KJV)

25 Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene.

26 When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son!

27 Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home.

Please where did Jesus call Mary His mother here?

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by malvisguy212: 1:36pm On Mar 13, 2016
icybeth:
Bible account do not said any good thing about birthday and do not support its practice. why is it that the apostles in past did not celebrate Christmas?
celebrating christmas is your choice. The apostles also do not organize love fist, but today in church, we do this things, is it a sin ?
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by snailspeed: 1:38pm On Mar 13, 2016
linusbnn:

Lobbying is allowed. Bible said the prayer of the righteous is appreciated more. That is why we run to those who we see as priests nd pastors.

So the priest is the righteous?

And no where were you asked to run to anyone. You are asked to come boldly to God not to run to some priest or pastor. Running to a priest or pastor is a practice that was created to enslave men.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

We Voted For A BUHARI President But We Now Have An Evangelist ‘ Apostle Suleman / Man Goes Mad After Prolonged Fasting And Praying (photo) / Bishop Godday Iboyi Shares Anointed Bread To His Church Members

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.