Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,709 members, 7,831,216 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:41 PM

What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices (40586 Views)

Benny Hinn:Am Guilty Of preaching Prosperity Outside what the Bible teaches / What The Holy Bible Teaches About "Dating And Sex" / Bible Teaches Gender Equality, Why Has Gender Inequality Always Been The Norm? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by malvisguy212: 1:38pm On Mar 13, 2016
dicefrost:

Actually, most of the customs associated with Christmas are directly linked with the pagan celebration. E.g,Christmas tree, exchanging gifts, carols etc. The only thing that really changed was the name
christmas tree is not in the bible, call it sin or not, it non of my business. Exchanging gift , is it wrong ? Christians gather to sing praises to God during christmas carol, is it wrong ?
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by linusbnn(m): 1:39pm On Mar 13, 2016
Sanchez01:

The other children of Mary were insignificant to the cause of God. They played no role because they went about their businesses as mere people. Mary did the same. She went about her business as a wife to Joseph and other children, not as the mother of God.

On several occasions, Jesus denied Mary as a mother, not because He hated her, no. But because He unburdened Himself from family ties. He did so two-three times in the New Testament! Mary was and is not the mother of God, biko.

I said why should jesus take total possession of mary if he has other brothers?. John 19:27 say "Then he said to his disciple she is your mother and from that time,the disciple (JOHN) took her to live in his house"
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by Sanchez01: 1:39pm On Mar 13, 2016
linusbnn:

Is jesus God?
1. Gen 1:26
Then God said[b] let US [/b]make man in our own image and after our likeness.

2. John 1:1-5
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 The same was in the beginning with God. 3 All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made./quote]

3. John 10:30 [quote]I and my Father are one.

4. 1John 5:7
7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

I sincerely hope these passages answer your question?
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by tmanuelle(m): 1:39pm On Mar 13, 2016
malvisguy212:
you made a very good point. You said the early christian join them, meaning they were influence by the date setting. But the celebration is DIFFIRENT from the pagans.

Tell them
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by snailspeed: 1:40pm On Mar 13, 2016
malvisguy212:
celebrating christmas is your choice. The apostles also do not organize love fist, but today in church, we do this things, is it a sin ?

I one sense celebrating Christmas would be ok as a personal choice. But the present Christmas you celebrate is a pagan festival created by pagans and fixed on a pagan date. That is a problem for any Christian. It means you are now officially celebrating a pagan festival whether you want to agree with it or not
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by Flav(m): 1:41pm On Mar 13, 2016
linusbnn:

She displayed her intercession at the marriage feast at cana. Is it not biblical?

Mary was just one of the many people that God used in his journey from Genesis to Calvery,in his bid to save his creation. No one role is greater than the other from David, Ruth etc. Including Joseph. Because not God nor any angel spoke to Mary again after the birth of Christ rather He was speaking to Joseph on where to take the Child Jesus to. It was only John the Baptist that Jesus Christ described as the greatest of all the prophets.
Also note that Jesus is the human and no one should really educate you what it all means when Christ is added to it. I always like addressing the Lord as Jesus Christ so that people will know the difference btw Jesus and Jesus the Christ.

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by linusbnn(m): 1:42pm On Mar 13, 2016
snailspeed:

So the priest is the righteous?

And no where were you asked to run to anyone. You are asked to come boldly to God not to run to some priest or pastor. Running to a priest or pastor is a practice that was created to enslave men.

Pray for one another,have you not come across it b4?.
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by snailspeed: 1:43pm On Mar 13, 2016
malvisguy212:
christmas tree is not in the bible, call it sin or not, it non of my business. Exchanging gift , is it wrong ? Christians gather to sing praises to God during christmas carol, is it wrong ?

It is wrong if you go and study the meaning of all these thngs you have listed. I hope you dont think these things just started from the blues. They are practices that were transfered from pagan worship. I would want to derail the thread so I wouldnt go into details of those practices.

Simple question for you is:

If the Olokun or Ogun practices in your village are tranfered to your local church services, would you accept them?
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by snailspeed: 1:44pm On Mar 13, 2016
linusbnn:

Pray for one another,have you not come across it b4?.

How is praying for one another the same thing as running to a priest or pastor? Is your wife not "one another"? Are your friends and neighbours who are Christians not "one another"?
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by linusbnn(m): 1:46pm On Mar 13, 2016
effty:
The question is where was it specifically stated that u should pray through Mary or honour Mary.

We see her worthy of our intercession. We honour her because she is the mother of our saviour. Is it clear to you now?
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by snailspeed: 1:46pm On Mar 13, 2016
tmanuelle:

Tell them

I have corrected that already. The early Christians never joined them in the celebration of Christmas
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by snailspeed: 1:48pm On Mar 13, 2016
malvisguy212:
you made a very good point. You said the early christian join them, meaning they were influence by the date setting. But the celebration is DIFFIRENT from the pagans.

The early Christians did not join the celebration of Christmas. They would never join such a pagan festival. The early Christians were also mainly Jews. The only feasts they celebrated were the feasts of God. Passover, Trumpets, First fruits, Jubilee, etc
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by malvisguy212: 1:48pm On Mar 13, 2016
snailspeed:

It is wrong if you go and study the meaning of all these thngs you have listed. I hope you dont think these things just started from the blues. They are practices that were transfered from pagan worship. I would want to derail the thread so I wouldnt go into details of those practices.

Simple question for you is:

If the Olokun or Ogun practices in your village are tranfered to your local church services, would you accept them?
alright, provide evidence that the early church leaders wanted to incorporate pagan worship with christmas.
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by linusbnn(m): 1:49pm On Mar 13, 2016
snailspeed:

John 19:25-27King James Version (KJV)

25 Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene.

26 When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son!

27 Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home.

Please where did Jesus call Mary His mother here?

Try and read Good news please,that is the bible I use. Let me ask you this one Questn "Who is the mother of Jesus"?
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by snailspeed: 1:49pm On Mar 13, 2016
linusbnn:

We see her worthy of our intercession. We honour her because she is the mother of our saviour. Is it clear to you now?

Who asked you to see her as anything? You are supposed to follow the scriptures if you truly are a follower of Christ, not conjure up some sentimental feeling or activity that the bible never asked you to

2 Likes

Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by effty(m): 1:50pm On Mar 13, 2016
That means yu made up a graven image bt u will never accept it. Yu worship Mary bt u would say u Honour her. In other words, yu just accepted that all those practices re nt scriptural. May God open our eyes to the Light.
linusbnn:

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by Flav(m): 1:51pm On Mar 13, 2016
linusbnn:

Try and read Good news please,that is the bible I use. Let me ask you this one Questn "Who is the mother of Jesus"?

Before you continue. Pls who is th Mother of Jesus and who is the mother of Jesus Christ
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by linusbnn(m): 1:52pm On Mar 13, 2016
snailspeed:

How is praying for one another the same thing as running to a priest or pastor? Is your wife not "one another"? Are your friends and neighbours who are Christians not "one another"?

I used that as an example and everybody runs to his/her spiritual leader in difficult time and even in good time for one purpose or the other. They are righteous except proved otherwise
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by snailspeed: 1:52pm On Mar 13, 2016
malvisguy212:
alright, provide evidence that the early church leaders wanted to incorporate pagan worship with christmas.

I dont understand your question bro.

But for the record, the early church leaders rejected all the pagan celebrations including Christmas. These celebrations where introduced and enforced by the Catholic church. The early church leaders were Jews and they never endorsed any of those pagan festivals. It was pure idol worship that could never mix with Gods way
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by malvisguy212: 1:52pm On Mar 13, 2016
snailspeed:

I one sense celebrating Christmas would be ok as a personal choice. But the present Christmas you celebrate is a pagan festival created by pagans and fixed on a pagan date. That is a problem for any Christian. It means you are now officially celebrating a pagan festival whether you want to agree with it or not
do you know that saturday was name after the pagan god name saturn ? What if your birthday fall on saturday, will you celebrate it ? For God sake, people, this pagans gods do NOT exist.

Provide evidence that the early church leaders wanted to join the practice with christmas with ?
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by linusbnn(m): 1:52pm On Mar 13, 2016
Flav:

Before you continue. Pls who is th Mother of Jesus and who is the mother of Jesus Christ

The mother of Jesus Christ is Mary.
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by effty(m): 1:53pm On Mar 13, 2016
Nobody said Mary didn't give birth to Jesus. Herein lies the question, 'is Mary to be worshipped/honoured?'. Back it up with scriptural quotations.
linusbnn:

Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by Sanchez01: 1:56pm On Mar 13, 2016
ExcelP:
Brother, you got to read your Bible again. As for tithing:

1. Abraham Commenced it. (Actually long before the 10' commandment and the Law and Moses Era).  Gen. 14:20, Heb. 7:4.

2. Jacob Continued it. Gen. 28:22.

3. Moses Commanded it. Deu. 12:6; 14:23. 

4. Christ Commended it. Matt. 23:23, Lk. 11:42 (This is even within the Grace Period of Christ, after Moses and the Law Period).

5. Nobody can Cancel it. (Born Again Israelites still gives tithes till today. Don't be left out. Join the wagon) ! [color=#990000][/color][b][/b]
Point #4: Genesis 14:20: Abram’s Tithe to Melchizedek Reflected the Law of the Land. (Chapters 2, 3)

The false teaching is that Abraham freely gave tithes because it was God’s will.

Scores of reputable secular history books document the existence of spoils of war tithing from Babylon to Egypt before Abraham’s time. For the following reasons, Abram’s pre-circumcision tithe in Genesis 14:20 cannot be used as an example for Christians to tithe (17:5). (1) The Bible does not say that Abram “freely” gave this tithe. (2) Abram’s gift was NOT a holy tithe from God’s holy land gathered by God’s holy people under God’s holy Old Covenant. (3) Abram’s tithe was clearly only from pagan spoils of war and was required in many nations as the law of the land. (4) In Numbers 31:21-31, God only required 1% of spoils of war as an ordinance. (5) Abram’s tithe to the priest-king Melchizedek was a one-time recorded event. (6) Abram’s tithe was not from his previously owned personal property. (7) Abram kept nothing for himself; he gave everything back. (cool Abram’s tithe is not quoted anywhere in the Bible to endorse tithing from Israel or from the church. (9) Genesis 14, verse 21, is the key text. http://www.stewardshipministries.org/tithing-is-not-a-christian-doctrine-russell-earl-kelly-phd/
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by snailspeed: 1:56pm On Mar 13, 2016
linusbnn:

I used that as an example and everybody runs to his/her spiritual leader in difficult time and even in good time for one purpose or the other. They are righteous except proved otherwise

First, there is nothing like spiritual leaders in Christianity that we are supposed to run to. Those are terms used to create false foundations for false doctrines. Church leaders are administrators, not people who are closer to God more than the rest of us. Many of them might actually be very far from God like we see today and like Jesus acknowledged inthe book of Revelation

Church leaders/administrators are not righteous by their names title or positions. They are just men like everyone one else. They have no special rigtheous status befoe God and God does not regard their prayers more than anyone else. Of course, they have taught you in your denomination to believe otherwise so they can enslave you
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by Ben6ene: 1:57pm On Mar 13, 2016
Linusbnn! I am sorry to tell you not to continue ur arguments, u are totally wrong! may God help u to see d truth! Kudos to d guy who opened this thread, God will direct ur part! That is why we need the Holy Spirit for full understanding of God's word because it mysterious!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by rev2214(m): 1:57pm On Mar 13, 2016
linusbnn:

And she cannot plead for u even when a living being can plead for you. Broda try believe that Mary is not just an ordinary woman. She is close to the heart of God and that is why she found favour from God. I believe there were million women during her time. I honour her.
Yes not ordinary woman, like our Abrvaham, Issac and Jacob.
Yes living being pleading. Maybe you mean intercession.
What we are saying is don't place an idol before you.
I hope you will get more understanding in JESUS name, Amen
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by malvisguy212: 1:58pm On Mar 13, 2016
snailspeed:

I dont understand your question bro.

But for the record, the early church leaders rejected all the pagan celebrations including Christmas. These celebrations where introduced and enforced by the Catholic church. The early church leaders were Jews and they never endorsed any of those pagan festivals. It was pure idol worship that could never mix with Gods way
you said christmas was a pagan festival, right ? Will the early church leader celebrate christmas if it is a pagan ritual ? What evidence do you have that this church leader wanted to incorporate christmas with peganism ? I believe they were only influence with the date setting and not the manner of celebration.
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by Ben6ene: 1:58pm On Mar 13, 2016
Linusbnn! I am sorry to tell you not to continue ur arguments, u are totally wrong! may God help u to see d truth! Kudos to d guy who opened this thread, God will direct ur path! That is why we need the Holy Spirit for full understanding of God's word because it mysterious!

I had to correct DAT!

1 Like

Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by linusbnn(m): 1:58pm On Mar 13, 2016
effty:
That means yu made up a graven image bt u will never accept it. Yu worship Mary bt u would say u Honour her. In other words, yu just accepted that all those practices re nt scriptural. May God open our eyes to the Light.

Must it be scriptural to honour some1?. I fear u sha. Honour is given to whom it's due and we studied the life of mary from when she accepted to be the mother of jesus,to the way of the cross and till the death of christ. She deserves our honour and we gave it to her. Even the mother of john the baptist honoured her and her visit to her home.
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by snailspeed: 1:58pm On Mar 13, 2016
malvisguy212:
do you know that saturday was name after the pagan god name saturn ? What if your birthday fall on saturday, will you celebrate it ? For God sake, people, this pagans gods do NOT exist.

Provide evidence that the early church leaders wanted to join the practice with christmas with ?

I still dont understand your question? Can you make it clear? Evidence of what? Thanks
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by linusbnn(m): 2:00pm On Mar 13, 2016
Ben6ene:
Linusbnn! I am sorry to tell you not to continue ur arguments, u are totally wrong! may God help u to see d truth! Kudos to d guy who opened this thread, God will direct ur path! That is why we need the Holy Spirit for full understanding of God's word because it mysterious!

I had to correct DAT!

Greetings broda. I continue to ride in my path to honour our mama. Cheers
Re: What The Bible Teaches About These Five Church Practices by Flav(m): 2:00pm On Mar 13, 2016
linusbnn:

The mother of Jesus Christ is Mary.

On thing you should understand is that Jesus Christ is half man half God . Like I said Mary was just one of the many people God used to accomplish his plans on earth and none of those people had he ascribed any special position any where to be worshiped or intercede for us. If Mary intercedes for you what will Eve do for you

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (13) (Reply)

Jesus Disciple Fellowship Expose / Folu Adeboye And Faith Oyedepo Pictured Together / Apostle Johnson Suleman's Son, Ebenezer (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.