Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,193 members, 7,815,163 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:24 AM

Court Okays Shielding Of Witnesses In Kanu’s Trial - Crime (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Court Okays Shielding Of Witnesses In Kanu’s Trial (24193 Views)

Court Okays Evans’ Fundamental Rights Suit For Hearing / Court Okays 10years Sentence For Trigger Happy Cop / NSCDC Accused Of Shielding Officers Who Attacked Man, Three-year-old (pic) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Court Okays Shielding Of Witnesses In Kanu’s Trial by erico2k2(m): 6:05pm On Mar 07, 2016
Montaque:
This ruling will not stand on appeal. Seeing that the court had earlier on disapproved on it and cannot decide it all over again.
Anyway, the defense would like to get done with the case to determine kanu's legal position as fast as possible.
I agree.the evidence won't stand if the witness do not identify themselves? They wot be credible. If the courts allows this it would be a very bad presidence
Re: Court Okays Shielding Of Witnesses In Kanu’s Trial by RealCJ: 6:05pm On Mar 07, 2016
So unfortunate that this country called Nigeria is becoming a lawless state on a daily basis. Why can't they show there face if they are being sincere as they claim, does it mean buhari and his DSS cannot provide security for its witness? Curse be upon any tongue that will lie against Nnamdi Kanu.

1 Like

Re: Court Okays Shielding Of Witnesses In Kanu’s Trial by Nwadiala: 6:07pm On Mar 07, 2016
The justice that bends law to convict a suspect is worse than the suspect even if the suspect is guilty

2 Likes

Re: Court Okays Shielding Of Witnesses In Kanu’s Trial by obynaDmob(m): 6:09pm On Mar 07, 2016
Reyginus:
Hmmm. Doesn't that make it possible for anyone to stand as witness? Should we even take such a witness serious? How can we verify that the witness is not a DSS official or an opportunist hired for the Job?

I don't also think the case is that delicate for the witness to be masked. If they can present witnesses in cases of people accused of embezzling money that has led to lose of lives I don't see why the witness in this case, where the accused was not even accused of taking life, should be masked. IPOB maybe misguided but they are not that violent.

1 Like

Re: Court Okays Shielding Of Witnesses In Kanu’s Trial by abbey621(m): 6:09pm On Mar 07, 2016
erico2k2:

Nop in advanced countries you are put under witness protection . You must say your name and identify yourself .you may appear via video link but you must identify yourself.So what's the screen for?of they Identify themselves in court?

Stop saying what you don't know! There are many different types of witness protection measures not just video link and witnesses can remain completely anonymous to the general public if there's a case for it. If you read my post well, you'll notice what I said about testifying in the judge's chamber, the whole testimony can be made without anyone being in the court. Take a look at this link for more information

https://www.unodc.org/documents/human-trafficking/Toolkit-files/08-58296_tool_5-18.pdf

1 Like

Re: Court Okays Shielding Of Witnesses In Kanu’s Trial by Samirana360(m): 6:09pm On Mar 07, 2016
corruption
Re: Court Okays Shielding Of Witnesses In Kanu’s Trial by Nobody: 6:09pm On Mar 07, 2016
KissCODE:

I doubt of they will call their names... But if the accused persons and their lawyers would be seeing them... I think it is okay...
Lol. What if the face he's wearing is fake. I mean a dummy face that looks real.
Re: Court Okays Shielding Of Witnesses In Kanu’s Trial by menesheh(m): 6:16pm On Mar 07, 2016
Smellymouth:
Anti- IPOB right now:::::

grin grin

Bad man
Re: Court Okays Shielding Of Witnesses In Kanu’s Trial by babyfaceafrica: 6:18pm On Mar 07, 2016
abbey621:

Stop saying what you don't know! There are many different types of witness protection measures not just video link and witnesses can remain completely anonymous to the general public if there's a case for it. If you read my post well, you'll notice what I said about testifying in the judge's chamber, the whole testimony can be made without anyone being in the court. Take a look at this link for more information

https://www.unodc.org/documents/human-trafficking/Toolkit-files/08-58296_tool_5-18.pdf
oga why are you educating wailers?..they won't agree!!

1 Like

Re: Court Okays Shielding Of Witnesses In Kanu’s Trial by ChristineC: 6:24pm On Mar 07, 2016
Does this mean they won't identify themselves in court? If not, their testimony will be dismissed.
So what's the point?

1 Like

Re: Court Okays Shielding Of Witnesses In Kanu’s Trial by erico2k2(m): 6:25pm On Mar 07, 2016
abbey621:

Plz read what I wrote there and tell me the diffrence between what's on the link you paste.I have been involved closely with witness protection in the UK.
Check whatever means they use.the witness must identify themselves.
Re: Court Okays Shielding Of Witnesses In Kanu’s Trial by erico2k2(m): 6:26pm On Mar 07, 2016
ChristineC:
Does this mean they won't identify themselves in court? If not, their testimony will be dismissed.
So what's the point?
This is what I'm trying g to tell abbey621
Re: Court Okays Shielding Of Witnesses In Kanu’s Trial by ddippset(m): 6:26pm On Mar 07, 2016
RealCJ:
So unfortunate that this country called Nigeria is becoming a lawless state on a daily basis. Why can't they show there face if they are being sincere as they claim, does it mean buhari and his DSS cannot provide security for its witness? Curse be upon any tongue that will lie against Nnamdi Kanu.
If they show their faces, they would have 5 million job less biafran youths waiting to assassinate them when they set foot in the south east!
Re: Court Okays Shielding Of Witnesses In Kanu’s Trial by KissCODE(m): 6:31pm On Mar 07, 2016
Reyginus:
Lol. What if the face he's wearing is fake. I mean a dummy face that looks real.
u have a point oh...

Anyway lets keep watching & see it goes..
Re: Court Okays Shielding Of Witnesses In Kanu’s Trial by abbey621(m): 6:32pm On Mar 07, 2016
erico2k2:

Plz read what I wrote there and tell me the diffrence between what's on the link you paste.I have been involved closely with witness protection in the UK.
Check whatever means they use.the witness must identify themselves.

If you went through the link, you'll understand that witnesses can stay anonymous depending on the case. Do you understand what anonymous means? I've also been a witness to many cases involving the insurance company I used to work for so I know what I'm saying!

1 Like

Re: Court Okays Shielding Of Witnesses In Kanu’s Trial by psquaret: 6:32pm On Mar 07, 2016
Re: Court Okays Shielding Of Witnesses In Kanu’s Trial by omnisali: 6:34pm On Mar 07, 2016
this might make nigeria ungovernable
Re: Court Okays Shielding Of Witnesses In Kanu’s Trial by Forwetinnah: 6:34pm On Mar 07, 2016
SUPERPACK:
Buhari 5 vs Kanu 3
sai buhari
sai change
sai Dss
sai Nigeria

Now your counting for boooooohari, when he looses or something goes wrong...you'll expect people to blame the DSS. Then people like you will be here to shout " why are you involving boooooohari with the DSS' mistake"

1 Like

Re: Court Okays Shielding Of Witnesses In Kanu’s Trial by Ahmedhussain3463: 6:37pm On Mar 07, 2016
i pray ipad leader serve his jail time in zamfara or katsina prison

1 Like

Re: Court Okays Shielding Of Witnesses In Kanu’s Trial by mimibright(m): 6:38pm On Mar 07, 2016
Buhari is becoming a redicule, so after this nonsense u will convict kanu? Okay o..
Re: Court Okays Shielding Of Witnesses In Kanu’s Trial by SUPERPACK: 6:38pm On Mar 07, 2016
Forwetinnah:

Now your counting for boooooohari, when he looses or something does wrong...you'll expect people to blame the DSS. Then people like you will be here to shout " why are you involving boooooohari with the DSS' mistake"
Now your counting for boooooohari, when he looses or something does wrong...you'll expect people to blame the DSS. Then people like you will be here to shout " why are you involving boooooohari with the DSS' mistake"
Re: Court Okays Shielding Of Witnesses In Kanu’s Trial by pacino26(m): 6:40pm On Mar 07, 2016
Was it a judgement of 'necessity' or we've it somewhere in our constitution?

4D HD view loading.
Re: Court Okays Shielding Of Witnesses In Kanu’s Trial by Eyepencil: 6:42pm On Mar 07, 2016
Nwadiala:
The justice that bends law to convict a suspect is worse than the suspect even if the suspect is guilty

I love this!
Re: Court Okays Shielding Of Witnesses In Kanu’s Trial by Jblaiseboy(m): 6:43pm On Mar 07, 2016
AdaNri1:
Even people testifying against the mafia do not get hidden during trial. They know they are bringing Judases who want to make it easy on their conscience by not looking at Nnamdi in the eye.
Thank u my sisters,dats a good example..The mafia underbosses testify against their bosses openly in court.

1 Like

Re: Court Okays Shielding Of Witnesses In Kanu’s Trial by mimibright(m): 6:44pm On Mar 07, 2016
ddippset:
If they show their faces, they would have 5 million job less biafran youths waiting to assassinate them when they set foot in the south east!
what happenes to witness protection? Even before a mixco drug lord is convicted someone testifies against him and u will see the person speak! How dangerous is a drug lord compared to UN armed protester. U need sense bro, buhari is destroying this country!
Re: Court Okays Shielding Of Witnesses In Kanu’s Trial by erico2k2(m): 6:47pm On Mar 07, 2016
abbey621:

If you went through the link, you'll understand that witnesses can stay anonymous depending on the case. Do you understand what anonymous means? I've also been a witness to many cases involving the insurance company I used to work for so I know what I'm saying!
Anonymous to the people in the court room and the defendant /accused. Not to the Judge or jury.
This is why they ha e extended witness protection of it goes further.My point is still valid,the witness must identify themselves to the judge and jury if not a blind person. Or a colour blind person can testify they saw something when they never did.
Re: Court Okays Shielding Of Witnesses In Kanu’s Trial by erico2k2(m): 6:49pm On Mar 07, 2016
Ahmedhussain3463:
i pray ipad leader serve his jail time in zamfara or katsina prison
What's his offence again?
Re: Court Okays Shielding Of Witnesses In Kanu’s Trial by erico2k2(m): 6:50pm On Mar 07, 2016
abbey621:

Did you in ur case undergo witness protection??
Re: Court Okays Shielding Of Witnesses In Kanu’s Trial by kick(f): 6:54pm On Mar 07, 2016
This is wrong in so many ways. Why will someone who wants to testify against Kanu be shielded from the eyes of the accused. It is now i believe this country are full of hypocrites. A shield box that will cover their face so that the accused may not see them. Ok i hope they will call out their names. Dss could bring lia Mohammed to testify or even a Dss officer could even testify. this country is very fragile. Don't deny someone his right to freedom. I know the Igbo's very well they can never beat the drum of war if they are not prepared. Why do you put a lion in a cage yet he is not complaining but willing to take the warrant of the law. That is because he is planning big. Be warned.
Re: Court Okays Shielding Of Witnesses In Kanu’s Trial by ihatesycophant(m): 6:59pm On Mar 07, 2016
Shielding of witnesses is constitutional and embedded in our law for security reason. This is done to shield witness from intimidation, harassment and rejection. Everyone crying should continue till they lose strength.

1 Like

Re: Court Okays Shielding Of Witnesses In Kanu’s Trial by slap1(m): 7:04pm On Mar 07, 2016
Lai Mohammed can as well testify against him. Nonsense. I've never really supported Nnamdi Kanu, but Buhari got this very wrong.
Re: Court Okays Shielding Of Witnesses In Kanu’s Trial by justmenoni: 7:09pm On Mar 07, 2016
So wats D difference if d accused can see d witness?? Can't he inform his supporters of who the witness is/are?

SleekMallam:

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Anambra Vigilante Kills Man 4 Days To Wedding / Traders Attack FCDA Official In Abuja Court, Break His Head (Graphic Photos) / Hoodlums Take Over LASU Axis, Attack & Rob Students At Will

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.