Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,559 members, 7,809,034 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:32 PM

2Ebisco's Posts

Nairaland Forum / 2Ebisco's Profile / 2Ebisco's Posts

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (of 20 pages)

Politics / 2019: South-south States Must Remain Under PDP – Wike Vows by 2Ebisco: 10:27am On Dec 17, 2018
Leaders of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, in the South-South region have resolved to ensure that the six states in the zone continues to remain under the control of the party after the 2019 general election.

Rivers State governor, Nyesom Wike, made this known to journalists at the weekend after South-South PDP zonal meeting in Port Harcourt, Rivers State.

He announced that the meeting resolved to constitute a special South-South PDP Presidential Campaign Council.

Wike said: “We have resolved to set up a presidential campaign council in South-South and then take a date for the zonal presidential campaign rally. South-South is the stronghold of the PDP and we want to retain that.

“All the states in the zone must continue to remain under the PDP.

“We have set up modalities for the success of our party in the governorship, National Assembly and state Assembly elections in 2019.”

The meeting attracted governors, state PDP chairmen, National Assembly members, Speakers of Houses of Assembly and former federal lawmakers from the zone.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/17/2019-south-south-states-must-remain-pdp-wike-vows/

Politics / BREAKING: Access Bank Finally Acquires Diamond Bank by 2Ebisco: 8:44am On Dec 17, 2018
Access Bank has finally acquired Diamond Bank.

Insiders told TheCable that the official announcement of the transaction will be made in the course of the week by the Central Bank of Nigeria, CBN.

The acquisition was midwifed by the CBN in a bid to further consolidate the banking industry.

Diamond Bank had last week announced its decision to drop its international operating licence to focus on national operations following capitalisation issues.

Uzoma Dozie, the bank’s Chief Executive Officer, confirmed the development in a statement released on Friday.

“With this approval, the bank will cease to operate as an international bank,” Dozie had said.

“The re-licensing as a national bank supports Diamond Bank’s objective of streamlining its operations to focus resources on the significant opportunities in the Nigerian retail banking market, and the economy as a whole.

“The move follows Diamond Bank’s decision to sell its international operations, which included the disposal of its West African Subsidiary in 2017 and Diamond Bank UK, the sale of which is currently in its final stages.

“The change to national bank status also enables the bank to maintain a lower minimum capital requirement of 10 per cent, as against 15 per cent required for international banks.”

The bank recorded its worst month on record in November with share plunging to 0.65k per unit

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/17/breaking-access-bank-finally-acquires-diamond-bank/

Politics / Yuletide: Buhari, Senate Panel Move To Forestall Fuel Scarcity by 2Ebisco: 6:09am On Dec 17, 2018
President Muhammadu Buhari and the Chairman of the Senate Committee on Petroleum (Downstream), Senator Kabir Marafa at the weekend met to deliberate on measures to take to ensure smooth supply of petroleum products in the festive period and beyond.

Briefing State House correspondents at the end of the meeting, Marafa disclosed that there is adequate quantities of the petroleum products in the country that will last six months.

But he said that some technical issues are threatening to disrupt the free flow of the products to the populace.

From the outcome of the meeting with the President and coming meetings with stakeholders in the next few days, he was optimistic that the issues, bordering around payment of subsidies, forex differentials and interest, will soon be resolved.

On why he was at the Villa, Marafa said “Basically, there are two issues. One is regarding the committee I chair in the Senate, that is the committee on downstream. There has been some disquiet in the industry regarding marketers’ payment with ministry of finance, DMO and the Central Bank, which we feel if not carefully handled, some enemies of the administration might bring about technical issues that could lead to queues on the line, especially government has provided enormous quantities of petroleum products across the country that can last the country up to six months through NNPC.

“So, some people are not too happy about it and they want to sabotage the efforts of the government.

“So, I’m the chairman and the President being the Minister of Petroleum Resources, I came to share some information and tap on his versatile experience in the industry as a former Minister of Petroleum Resources forty years ago, so there is abundant experience there.”

Speaking further on the threats by depots owners to shut down with the festive period around the corner, he said “That is what I said, so we are now talking of technicalities, there is fuel in the country, in our seas, in our depots all across the country. But there are some technicalities now regarding payment of subsidies, forex differentials and interest, which this government inherited.

“They are not a creation of this government. However, government is a continuum and when the President came in he was confronted with it and he agreed and said fine I have stopped subsidy but since there are claims, we will look into it and pay.”

According to him, bureaucracy has been hindering smooth payment of outstanding arrears owed depot owners, which was inherited by the current administration.

“But now the bureaucratic nature of the computations is what dragged up to this time and depots owners are not too happy with what the ministry of finance has done and may be some other agencies.

“So, we have been on it in the Senate and the House of Representatives for almost two weeks now. Finally, today, I have had quality time with Mr. President and we have looked into the whole thing.

“By next week, we will invite all the stakeholders. I believe we should be able to get to the root of the matter. As for the depots owners, we are going to plead with them again to give more time, especially now that we have discussed with the head of the executive arm of government.

“So, I’m sure everything will be resolved in the next few days.” he stated

He said that the second issue that brought him to the Villa was the political situation in his state, Zamfara State.

With the courts now handling the issues that trailed the All Progressives Congress governorship primary elections in the state, he was confident that issues will soon be resolved.

He said “You know, to also tap on his experience of governance and may be conflicts resolutions and so on. We have had very good time and I got enormous advice on the way forward.”

Asked what he discussed with the President concerning the political situation in his state, he said

“That is for me and him and not for me and you. So, we have discussed and the most important thing is for me to know what to do and where to go. So when he tells me something pertaining to you, I will tell you.

On whether the APC governorship ticket in his state has been resolved, he said “We are still on. We are in court and hopefully we believe in the next couple of weeks, maybe two weeks from now, the courts will provide a way forward.

“We all know what happened and it be prejudicial now to start discussing the issues on pages of

newspaper or television. We are on our way to an amicable resolution of the problems.” he said

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/17/yuletide-buhari-senate-panel-move-forestall-fuel-scarcity/

Politics / VP Debate: ‘atiku Will Be Killed For Corruption’ – Nigerians React To Peter Obi by 2Ebisco: 2:38pm On Dec 16, 2018
The Vice Presidential candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Peter Obi has come under attack following his reference to China’s economy during just concluded debate.

Obi had on Friday night during the Vice presidential debate compared China economy to that of Nigeria.

Obi said Nigeria lost four million jobs in a six-month period, while China created 10 million jobs within same period.

He said, “If you look at what China has been able to do with SMEs, SMEs in China is contributing to 60 per cent of their GDP. And 60 per cent of China’s GDP is 7.2tn (dollars), which is 18 per cent of Nigeria’s GDP.

“China today, using the same SMEs, is guaranteeing 10 million jobs annually. Half of this year alone, China has produced 7.2 million jobs, which is over 40 per cent of their target. Within the same period, Nigeria lost four million jobs.”

The debate which featured only five parties was organised by the Nigeria Elections Debate Group and the Broadcasting Organisation of Nigeria.

However, Obi who dominated the debate alongside Osinbajo has since stirred divergent reactions online following his statement on China’s economy.

Some Nigerians asked the former Governor to also talk about the punishment meted out by China to its corrupt officials, not just its economic performance.

According to some Nigerians on social media, Obi’s running mate Atiku Abubakar will be killed in China for corruption.

Here are some reactions gathered by DAILY POST from Twitter:

@Ezeasukwu “The Truth remains that in China corruption is death sentence. Many of them would have been a forgotten story by now.”

@Mustaphamainaum “Throughout Peter Obi’s explanation in the debate, he was giving emphasis on China and Malaysia.

“Is Peter Obi aware that he and Atiku could have been executed in China for siphoning money from the public purse?

@Ogundamisi “Peter Obi should we really go the way of China? Saw you did not tell us what they do to corrupt people in China? Will Atiku approve?

@Prof_Blu “I was expecting him to name one of the right things but he never said any. All he kept saying is China. Someone needs to remind Obi that in China people like his principal Atiku would have been hanged.”

@4eyedmonk “Peter Obi’s persistence on using China as his examples is fraudulent. China is close to being the biggest economy in the world; the whole of Africa’s circumstance does not allow you do that.

“It is easy to drop their big figures and seem like you are making a point.”

@Karovoni “Peter Obi is always using China as an example but one of the reasons China was able to achieve what they did was having a strong stance against corruption, they executed corrupt officials.

“Let’s not even start to talk about Atiku’s love for corruption.”

@Lanrrub90 “Peter Obi keeps comparing China GDP with Nigerian GDP, China investment to Nigerian investment, China production to Nigerian production but dude never mentioned China death sentence to corrupt public officers to buttress his point.”

@Mr_Jags “I suggest that President Buhari should appoint Peter Obi as Nigeria’s Ambassador to China during his second term following the VP debate.”

@Isaozo “Peter Obi keeps referencing China. My own is are you ready for us to do what China did to get to where they are? Because if we do, Your Atiku won’t stay alone to be president.

“They fought corruption in China by executing corrupt leaders of which your boss USA major culprit.”

@Myoluwaseun2014 “Peter Obi and his Chinese theory is annoying, China is where they are today because looters are sentenced to death.”

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/16/vp-debate-atiku-will-killed-corruption-nigerians-react-peter-obi-claims-china/

Travel / Christmas: 201 FRSC Mobile Courts To Begin Sitting Monday by 2Ebisco: 7:16am On Dec 16, 2018
The 201 mobile courts set up by the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC), nationwide to prosecute traffic offenders during the yuletide season, will begin sitting on Monday.

Dr Boboye Oyeyemi, Corps Marshal of the FRSC, disclosed this on Saturday in Ibadan during his visit to Oyo State, in an effort to ensure free flow of traffic nationwide during the yuletide season.

The Corps Marshal who was on a nationwide tour, said all his personnel would be mobilised to ensure motorist obey traffic rules and urged road users to comply with traffic regulations so as not to spend their Christmas and New Year in prison custody.

He called for maximum punishment for any motorists that assault any of his personnel, saying 71 of his officers were assaulted by motorists from January till date as a result of malicious behaviour of some road users.

Oyeyemi advised motorists to cooperate with FRSC personnel as 2018 comes to an end.

He said the commission has been able to bring down the number of road traffic crashes to single digit in 2018 compared to 2017, saying this was an indication that an appreciable achievement had been achieved.

Oyeyemi said the FRSC was embarking on critical assessment of key federal roads nationwide in which Lagos-Ibadan Express way toll-gate, Iwo road express way were among in order to ensure free flow of traffic during yuletide period.

“I am satisfied with the level of operation so far and we are complying with the directive of President Muhammadu Buhari to ensure free flow of traffic and reduce road crashes.

“I have set down full enforcements to ensure removal of obstruction from highways, proper manning of all diversion areas so that we don’t experience gridlock and rescue team fully activated among others,’’ Oyeyemi said.

Oyeyemi urged road users to plan their journey and not to be in haste to complete the journey of four hours in two hours, saying most federal roads were now undergoing repair and motorist may not spend the normal time they spent when traffic was light.

He promised prompt response of the commission whenever there was traffic obstruction or road crashes and appealed to motorists to cooperate adequately.

Oyeyemi also urged the FRSC personnel to conduct themselves in a professional manner. (NAN)

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/16/christmas-201-frsc-mobile-courts-begin-sitting-monday/

1 Like

Politics / Gov Umahi Sacks Ebonyi Broadcasting Corporation Board Chairman by 2Ebisco: 4:36pm On Dec 15, 2018
Governor David Umahi of Ebonyi State has sacked the Board Chairman of the Ebonyi Broadcasting Corporation (EBBC), Mrs Patience Ogodo.

Mr Emmanuel Uzor, Umahi’s Chief Press Secretary, who issued a statement to NAN on Saturday, said that the sack was sequel to Ogodo’s suspension as a member of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) Board of Trustees.
Uzor alleged that PDP’s National Executive Committee (NEC) had suspended Ogodo for acts inconsistent with her mandate which included: absenteeism and other anti-party activities.

”Consequently, Ogodo is directed to hand over all government properties in her possession within 24 hours to the closet person on the board.
”The governor wishes to stress that Ogodo’s suspension was in affirmation of the PDP’s NEC which tried and found her guilty of anti- party activities and other sundry actions.

”This was unbecoming of a board of trustees member from a highly disciplined party like the PDP as it acted in line with the party’s constitution,” the statement read.

The statement further stated that the governor wished her well in her new political journey.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/15/gov-umahi-sacks-ebonyi-broadcasting-corporation-board-chairman/

Celebrities / Popular Nollywood Actor, Ifeanyi Gbulie Dead by 2Ebisco: 8:58pm On Dec 14, 2018
Ace Nollywood actor, Elder Ifeanyi Ikenga Gbulie is dead.

DAILY POST gathered that Elder Danda, as he’s famously called, passed away two days back after battling stroke for years.

Ifeanyi died in Enugu.

Confirming the development to DAILY POST, ace movie director and a member of the Directors Guild of Nigeria, DGN, Chima Okoroji, said the late actor would be greatly missed.

“This is too heavy for me; I love this man with a passion his humility is out of this world. I will miss you so much,” he said.

The late actor is known for his elderly roles in films, such as End of Dreams and Under Fire.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/14/popular-nollywood-actor-ifeanyi-gbulie-dead/

Celebrities / Kylie Jenner And Her Curvy Backside Pose For A Photo by 2Ebisco: 1:57pm On Dec 14, 2018
Make-up mogul and mother of one, Kylie Jenner, shared this sexy photo of herself with curvy backside on display.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/14/kylie-jenner-curvy-backside-pose-photo/

European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / EPL: Mourinho Gives Injury Update On Nine Man United Players Ahead Of Liverpool by 2Ebisco: 1:36pm On Dec 14, 2018
Manchester United manager, Jose Mourinho has provided latest injury update on nine of his players ahead of Red Devils’ Premier League clash against Liverpool on Sunday at Anfield.

The likes of Marcos Rojo, Scott McTominay, Victor Lindelof, Alexis Sanchez, Luke Shaw, Chris Smalling, Matteo Darmian, Anthony Martial and Diogo Dalot are all injured ahead of United’s clash with Jurgen Klopp’s men.

Mourinho said some of United’s nine injured players are certain to miss Liverpool clash.

Providing injury update on his players, Mourinho reiterated as quoted by Manchester Evening News on Friday at a pre-match conference: “The latest is to tell you again that in Valencia only De Gea and Matic were available to play and didn’t travel by decision.

“Apart from that, the players that didn’t travel were not fit to play in Valencia, all of them had injuries and they were not ready.

“All of them didn’t train yesterday again and today they will be a little, I don’t want to say [a] test, but a little introduction to training to see the answer, adaptation and to see if we can increase a little bit tomorrow to have them for Sunday.

“But for sure, I hope, is better not to say for sure, I hope some will be available but for sure some will not be.”

“I’m going to try, I’m going to try,” Mourinho added. “I always try and I want to play a team that is capable to be with me on that desire and on that ambition and on that confidence.

“We know that we are going to play against the leader, against a team in a high, but we have our qualities, we have our potential and even with the problems we have and the doubts in terms of team choice, of tactics, of approach, of philosophy, we have doubts about everything.

“But we are going to arrive with the players we have available and going to have a team capable of going there and fight for the victory.”

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/14/epl-mourinho-gives-injury-update-nine-man-united-players-ahead-liverpool-clash/

2 Likes

Politics / APC Postpones Governorship Campaign In Kwara Over Insecurity by 2Ebisco: 6:33am On Dec 14, 2018
The Kwara chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC) on Thursday postponed its plan to launch Alhaji Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq’s governorship election campaign over insecurity problem.

The campaign was scheduled to hold in Kosubosu, the headquarters of the Baruten Local Government Area of the state, before the abrupt cancellation.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Kosubosu is a border community with the Republic of Benin which is a journey of more than five hours from Ilorin.

Journalists and party supporters had gathered on Thursday morning for the political journey when a member of the Media Committee, Kayode Oyin-Zubair, conveyed the decision of the party to the media men.

NAN findings revealed that the party postponed the programme due to an alleged plan by some thugs to scuttle the event.

However, Mr Kehinde Musa, a party supporter in Kosubosu, expressed dismay over the postponement of the governorship campaign.

Musa noted that a mammoth crowd had gathered in Kosubosu to receive the APC governorship candidate before the information was relayed to them.

He stated that the massive APC supporters in the area would file out again when next the party decided to meet the people.

Meanwhile, Kwara APC chairman, Mr Bashir Bolarinwa, who expressed regret over the suspension in a statement on Thursday, blamed the postponement on ‘incontrovertible security reports.’

“The manifesto presentation ceremony of the All Progressives Congress (APC) gubernatorial candidate, Alhaji Abdulrahman Abdulrazaq, which was expected to witness a mammoth attendance today (Thursday) in Kosubosu, Baruten Local Government Area, was regrettably called off due to very strong and incontrovertible security reports.

“As a responsible party, we put the protection of the lives of our teeming party members and indeed enthusiastic supporters who were waiting to line our routes above other considerations.

“We, therefore, use this opportunity to appeal to our party faithful for the inconveniences caused them as many had already gathered at various departure points,” Abdulrazaq said.

He also announced that the party had taken full charge of the campaign structures, processes and activities for the purpose of delivering an effective mobilisation of all Kwarans for the victory of the party.

He said that a new date for the campaign take-off would be announced soon.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/14/apc-postpones-governorship-campaign-kwara-insecurity/

Politics / Obasanjo Is Irrelevant To 2019 Election, Says Presidency by 2Ebisco: 3:36am On Dec 13, 2018
Nigerian government Wednesday said the recent remarks attributed to a former president, Olusegun Obasanjo, remained irrelevant to the February 2019 general elections.

“Whoever Obasanjo chooses to support at the 2019 elections is irrelevant, as the former president had publicly changed his mind on the matter so many times over the past few months alone,” said presidential spokesman Garba Shehu.

Obasanjo, who supported Buhari in 2015 against Goodluck Jonathan, said in a statement on Sunday that his former ally had done almost nothing to reposition the country.

Buhari emerged after promising to resuscitate the country’s economy, curb the security challenges and also fight against corruption.

But critics like the former president said Buhari’s government has performed way below expectations.

In January, the former president accused Buhari of being nepotistic and said the president was lacking in the requisite capacity to make Nigeria better.

Obasanjo acknowledged his complicity in making a man who he said “is weak in the knowledge and understanding of the economy” the president. He said he thought that Buhari could make “use of good Nigerians in that area.”

However, Shehu urged Nigerians to be wary of the former president, warning that the remarks in the wake of the 2019 election stem from a confused state of mind not deserving of attention.

“Former president Obasanjo denounces one person today and supports that same person the next day,” Shehu said.

“When it pleases him, he brings God into the matter and uses that as his excuse for whatever position he has chosen.”

Shehu added that he was not surprised that newspapers reported Obasanjo expressing neutrality at a weekend forum, only for the former president to express a completely different stance after a day or two.

“We have learnt not to take his utterances seriously anymore.

“We know that the slightest wind can make him change his mind again. After all, this is the same man who publicly tore his party registration card barely four years ago, and he now claims to be backing the same party,” Shehu said.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/13/obasanjo-is-irrelevant-to-2019-election-says-presidency/

Jobs/Vacancies / Police Receive 104,289 Applications For 10,000 Jobs by 2Ebisco: 6:31am On Dec 12, 2018
The Police Service Commission (PSC) on Tuesday said it has received 104,289 applications from Nigerians who want employment into the Nigeria Police Force as Constables.

The spokesman of the PSC, Ikechukwu Ani, in a statement said, “this is just twelve days after the Commission’s Recruitment Portal was opened on November 30th, 2018.”

He said: “The applications hit this figure as at 11.30am today, Tuesday, December 11th, 2018. The portal will officially close on the 11th of January, 2019 in compliance with the six weeks requirement by Federal Character Commission.

“Niger State has the highest number of applicants at 7,985 while Bayelsa State has the least applications of 347. Kano State is second with 7,513, Katsina came third with 6,820; Bauchi fourth with 6,204 and Kaduna State fifth with 5,729 applicants.

“Following Bayelsa from the rear, is Lagos State with only 516 applicants, Ebonyi State is next with 600, Anambra State, 605, Abia State, 733 and Imo State with 870 applicants.

“Out of the 104,289 applications received so far by the Commission, 93,871 were males while 10,418 were females.

“The Commission restates its commitment to ensure a merit-driven and transparent recruitment exercise that will follow due process and abide with the relevant rules and regulations in the Public Service.

“Applicants are warned not to give money to anybody for assistance as the giver and receiver, if caught, will face the full weight of the law.

“Applicants are required to apply on-line to the Commission’s portal www.nigeriapolicecareers.net and applications are free. This is for the benefit of other interested applicants. They are only required to fill the form online and also submit it online,” the PSC statement said.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/12/police-receive-104289-applications-for-10000-jobs/

Politics / Killer Herdsmen Should Be Declared Terrorists Like Boko Haram – Anglican Archbis by 2Ebisco: 3:34pm On Dec 11, 2018
The Archbishop of Ibadan Province of the Anglican Communion, Most Rev. Segun Okubadejo, has insisted that armed herdsmen are terrorists just like Boko Haram insurgents.

Okubadejo said this while faulting President Muhammadu Buhari’s refusal to proscribe violent herdsmen across the country.

Addressing newsmen yesterday in Ibadan, the Oyo State capital, he said, “Our nation is filled with disturbing evil acts; rapes, ritual killings, kidnappings, armed banditry and herdsmen terrorists.

“Though the president is refusing to declare them terrorists but to us, we know that they are terrorists in disguise just like Boko Haram.

“We say no as things will not continue like this; we need the inward transformation of every Nigerian and unless that happens God may not intervene in our situation.’’

The Archbishop also urged Nigerians to vote for credible candidates and not political parties in 2019.

News Agency of Nigeria, NAN, quoted him as saying, “We are appealing to eligible voters to make sure that they obtain their voter card and perform their civic rights.

“We are also using this medium to appeal to politicians to detest do or die ambition or attitude in this political forum.

“We are further appealing to INEC to be a neutral umpire in the coming elections; the law enforcement agencies should also not compromise on whatever they’ve been asked to do.

“The basic is for them to provide adequate security for all and sundry.

“There is the need for a change of orientation for God to change the situation of the country and the people.”

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/11/killer-herdsmen-should-be-declared-terrorists-like-boko-haram-anglican-archbishop-tells-buhari/

Politics / Why My Focus Is On Industrialization – Ayade by 2Ebisco: 11:26pm On Dec 10, 2018
Cross River State Governor, Prof. Ben Ayade has hinted why his administration’s focus is on industrialization.

Speaking while taking delivery of additional new containers of equipment at the state’s industrial city, yesterday, Calabar Governor Ayade said his policy was predicated on his desire to create jobs and wealth amongst the citizenry, especially the teeming unemployed.

The governor is currently building over twelve industries strategically located in the state with some already running and others at various stages of completion.

According to him, “Cross River State is poised to lead Nigeria’s industrial revolution initiative with particular focus on agro-based industries.

“We have just taken delivery of four containers load of equipment for our frozen chicken processing factory, Cala-Chicka. We have 40 more containers we are expecting for the entire poultry value chain in the state on the way.”

Continuing he explained that “by implication, we also have the equipment for the automated chicken slaughter house and processing and packaging of frozen chicken. We also have three different equipment for three direction factories located in three different local government areas all intended to drive the frozen chicken export business.”

According to the governor, “This again is a kinetic crystallization of some of those industrialization projects that we have talked about and I believe that Cross Riverians are beginning to recognize and realize that indeed, we have taken the right decision to industrialize the state to create jobs and wealth among our people.”

Justifying the establishment of the frozen chicken in the state, Ayade hinted: “We are taking advantage of protein deficiency in Africa and to venture into frozen chicken. In the fullness of time, the world will see that Cross River State is in the right direction and our dream is manifesting and they will begin to appreciate our effort as our wealth creation and economy diversification drive is beginning to yield positive results.”

Offering further insight into why the state is venturing into agricultural value chain the state, the governor maintained that “As you can see, most of our projects are agro-based. For instance, as we process frozen chicken, we have to feed them. How do we feed them? We need soya beans; we really need also yellow maize. So, who will supply me the yellow maize? So, definitely we now need to engage major industrial farmers for soya beans farming and yellow maize cultivation. How do they get funding? That is why we set up Cross River Micro-finance Bank.”

“So, if you don’t know the story, you think that Ayade is carrying too much but there are all intended to just fit together and create an organic hole. It’s gradually crystallizing and that was why I had christened our budget, “Kinetic Crystallization.” And I can tell you that crystallization in rapid succession, all the things will start falling in place and people can begin to see for themselves.”

On the choice of Obubra for the yellow maize, he explained: “Obubra has a very suitable soil for yellow maize cultivation. It has a massive landmass and it has a huge population. It is going to create at least 25,000 jobs growing just yellow maize alone. Soya bean will be cultivated in Yala. Again that will create another 25,000 jobs, with every young person having four to five hectares of yellow maize. That is why we signed a partnership with TATA to supply us all the equipments needed for our mechanize farming.”

On efforts to improve yield among farmers in addition to farm inputs the state is already providing, the governor stated that “Cross River State is going to take out the agricultural infrastructure, take the burden off the farmers by providing access to the farm, clearing, doing the tilling, plowing and making the farmer nurture its plants.

“Even at the point of harvest, the state government will be there to support the farmers. So, Cross River is preparing to make green millionaires and that is why I made a commitment that I was going to make young green millionaire.”

This is a programme that if the people understand the focus and the drive, they will see that truly, we are going towards a tangent and that tangent will crystallize very soon. By the time we start exporting frozen chicken out of Cross River State, that alone will create all the jobs that we need from the entire value chain.”

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/10/why-my-focus-is-on-industrialization-ayade/

Sports / EPL: Sutton Blasts Mourinho’s Man United Signings Ahead Of Liverpool Clash by 2Ebisco: 10:52am On Dec 10, 2018
Former England and Chelsea striker, Chris Sutton has slammed Manchester United manager, Jose Mourinho’s signings at the club ahead of their Premier League clash with Liverpool on Sunday.

Mourinho has signed defenders, Eric Bailly and Victor Lindelof, striker, Alexis Sanchez since taking over from former Red Devils boss, Louis van Gaal back in May 2016.

The Portuguese gaffer is eager to make one or two signings to strengthen his defence next year during the January transfer window.

But Sutton has questioned why United board would even consider handing Mourinho a substantial transfer budget in January.

“He [Mourinho] signed Pogba, he signed Sanchez,” Sutton told BBC Radio 5 Live.

“His signings have been a disaster. He wants more money! How can they trust him?”

Mourinho’s men sit on sixth position on the Premier League table with 26 points from 16 games.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/10/epl-sutton-blasts-mourinhos-man-united-signings-ahead-of-liverpool-clash/

Politics / Stop Sealing Assets Of Suspects – Falana Tells EFCC by 2Ebisco: 7:55am On Dec 10, 2018
A Senior Advocate of Nigeria (SAN), Mr Femi Falana, on Sunday advised the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) to stop sealing up assets belonging to suspects of financial crimes.

The lawyer gave the advice in Ikeja at the presentation of ‘Compendium of High-Profile Corruption and Financial Crimes Cases in Nigeria.’

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the compendium, which highlights high-profile corruption cases and their implications on the economy was compiled by Human and Environmental Development Agenda (HEDA), a Civil Society Organisation.

Falana said sealing up of properties while cases were still pending in courts did not do the public any good as the assets waste away with no economic value.

The lawyer said it would be good if those assets were put into use by the EFCC, pending the final determination of the cases in which they were linked.

“I do not subscribe to the locking up of assets or properties while a case is still pending in court. I do not think the EFCC or other anti-corruption agencies should be doing that.

“If somebody has stolen money to build a hospital, just like the one on Adeniyi Jones in Ikeja, somebody was alleged to have stolen to build the hospital worth about N2.5billion, which is sealed now.

“For me,you are not doing the public any good by just locking up the place and by putting your inscription: ‘Under Investigation’.

“Why don’t you allow it to function so that the place can benefit the people, because it is already acquired for public purpose.

“And this should go for all buildings too. People are looking for accommodation and you just lock up blocks of flat over cases still pending in court.

“And these cases may be in court for years.And by the time the cases are concluded, the premises you have sealed no longer have their value.

“The EFCC was set up to revive businesses not to liquidate them.You liquidate businesses by just getting some court orders.That to me, is not the way to fight corruption,” he said.

Falana added that the sight of seized vehicles wasting away at EFCC offices was cause for concern, paying the assets could have been put into economic use.

He, however, suggested that the vehicles could be sold by the EFCC to stop decay while the proceeds were kept in an account pending the determination of the cases involving their owners.

“If the case is finally resolved in favour of the suspects, they are given the money, if not, the money is forfeited to government.

“That, I think, is better than allowing these vehicles to waste away while cases are being investigated or still pending in court,” he said.

Falana said the fight against corruption could not be genuinely fought by the government, but by Nigerians themselves.

He, therefore, urged all stakeholders to be vigilant and play their part to confront the menace of corruption.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/10/stop-sealing-assets-of-suspects-falana-tells-efcc/

Sports / Kante, Luiz Help Chelsea End Man City’s Unbeaten Run by 2Ebisco: 6:56am On Dec 09, 2018
Manchester City dominated most of the match, but goals from N’Golo Kante and David Luiz ensured it was Chelsea who triumphed.

Manchester City suffered their first Premier League defeat of the season as N’Golo Kante and David Luiz secured a hard-fought 2-0 victory for Chelsea at Stamford Bridge.

The reigning champions were on top from the outset, but Pep Guardiola’s decision to play Raheem Sterling through the middle in the absence of the injured Sergio Aguero failed to pay dividends and they were unable to regain top spot from Liverpool, who beat Bournemouth 4-0 earlier on Saturday to edge a point clear.

Chelsea were forced to sit deep for much of the opening period before Kante scored with their first shot on target in the 45th minute. Maurizio Sarri’s team were well-drilled in the second half and a 78th-minute header from David Luiz sealed a huge victory after a run of just one win in four. Chelsea tried to press the visitors high from kick-off, but Guardiola’s side were capable of passing their way out of any situation and they dictated terms.

However, it was not until the 33rd minute that City truly threatened, Sterling turning Marcos Alonso easily and finding Leroy Sane for a shot that deflected over off Cesar Azpilicueta.

Chelsea then punished City against the run of play on the stroke of half-time with a swift break, Kante firing into the roof of the net after he was teed up by Eden Hazard, who led the line ahead of Alvaro Morata and Olivier Giroud.

The Blues carried the momentum into the second period and Willian had a free-kick pushed away by Ederson, with Guardiola responding by sending Gabriel Jesus on for Sane.

Kepa Arrizabalaga parried a free-kick from Kyle Walker as City, who saw David Silva hobble off with an injury in the 68th minute, laboured in their search for an equaliser. David Luiz ensured the visitors’ 14-game unbeaten run in away Premier League matches was ended when he beat John Stones to Hazard’s corner – which Guardiola was adamant was incorrect to award – and looped a header beyond Ederson

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/09/kante-luiz-help-chelsea-end-man-citys-unbeaten-run/

3 Likes

Crime / Communal Clash Claims Eight In Niger by 2Ebisco: 6:07am On Dec 09, 2018
Not fewer than 8 persons have been confirmed killed in a communal conflict that broke out between the Gaba and Anfani communities in the Lavun Local Government Area of Niger state.

THISDAY findings revealed that the incident occurred precisely on Thursday, noting that some of the victims of the communal clash were beheaded.

On account told THISDAY that one of the victims had his two feet cut off, tracing that the dispute between the communities to a parcel of land which the Gaba community were said to have given to their Anfani counterparts over 50 years ago.

A Niger State High Court sitting in Bida was said to have ruled in favour of the Gaba community last week directing the Anfani community to vacate the land.

THISDAY learnt that to enforce the court decision, the Gaba community sent 11 men to the disputed land to carry out its survey. One of the eleven people was a surveyor from the State Ministry of Works.

According to another account, the people of Gaba laid ambush against their Anfani people, thereby slaughtering them like goats. The assailants were assisted by some people from Emikpan village a development that made them to overpower them.

However, it was gathered that the surveyor was spared after it was discovered that he was not a native of Gaba.

He was attacked and inflicted with injuries. He was eventually hospitalised at the Federal Medical Centre in Bida.

Afraid of reprisal, it was gathered that the entire Anfani community had been deserted with some of the villagers reportedly taking refuge at the Etsu Nupe’s palace in Bida.

As a result of the disturbance, findings revealed that the District Head of Gaba, Alhaji Abdullahi Manko was forced to abdicate his throne to also take refuge in Bida, even though the Etsu Nupe was said to have been posted to the community.

The Niger State Police Command evacuated eight from the troubled area and deposited them at the Bida General Hospital Mortuary.

When contacted on phone yesterday, the Police Public Relations Officer, Mr. Muhammad Abubakar confirmed the incident, noting that the Police Area Commander in Bida had led heavily armed operatives to the area to restore peace.

Abubakar, a Deputy Superintendent of Police (DSP), noted that no arrest had been made and that investigation into the disturbance had commenced.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/09/communal-clash-claims-eight-in-niger/
Politics / Sign Death Warrant For 2,500 Inmates, NPS Tells Govs by 2Ebisco: 6:24am On Dec 08, 2018
The Nigerian Prisons Service (NPS) has appealed to state governors to intervene in the management of the over 2,500 inmates on death row by approving their execution or commuting their sentence to life imprisonment.

The public relations officer of the NPS, Mr Francis Enobore, who made the appeal in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) yesterday in Abuja, said the governors’ action was needed towards decongesting the prisons.

According to him, condemned convicts have been a big issue in the Nigerian Prison Service and it has been difficult to deal with the issue.

“Before now, a prison might have 500 condemned convicts and, of course, that can be managed, but a situation where you have more than that, then it becomes an issue.

“Presently, over 2,500 condemned convicts are in prisons. Some of them have exhausted their appeals and are only awaiting the hangman. This issue has caused deep anger among them; they have become hardened and difficult to control.

“You greet some of them, they won’t even respond. You try to make them not feel discouraged in life, they see you as a threat, ” he said.

Enobore noted that the condemned convicts were different from those awaiting trial who could be taken to court anytime, adding that the state governors need to sign the death warrants because some of them had become difficult to manage.

According to him, governors could also commute some sentences to life imprisonment so that the beneficiaries of such gesture would have hope of living to become better persons in the future.

“As they are, they can’t go to school while in prison and they can’t even partake in skill acquisition, but if the appeal is granted, it would enable them to go to school while in prison or have skills in any field.

“This would give them hope of becoming better people in the nearest future, ” Enobore said.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/08/sign-death-warrant-for-2500-inmates-nps-tells-govs/

1 Share

Politics / JTF Destroys Militant Camps, Arrests Suspected Pirates, Others In Niger Delta by 2Ebisco: 3:41pm On Dec 07, 2018
The Joint Task Force, JTF, Operation Delta Safe has destroyed active militant camps at Okparakiri, Sanikiri, Ke community, Elem Okporama and Olukirion, as well as arrested four suspected sea pirates en route to other hideouts in Kelekele Creek in its joint operation area, DAILY POST can report.

The Acting Director, Defence Information, Brig.Gen. John Agim, disclosed this much at a press briefing on the conduct of Operation 777 on Friday.

He said the JTF embarked on the destruction and arrests of the suspects based on a tip-off, stressing that the suspects had been terrorising Kelekele community and Abonnema-Buguma waterways.

Brig. Gen. Agim also disclosed that the arrested suspects have given useful information that will help to rid the general area of criminal activities.

According to him, “Our troops deployed at Asaba arrested two suspected drug peddlers by name Nduka Ozigbondu and Mofi Ndibuisi along cable point roundabout with large quantity of Indian hemp and other substances suspected to be hard drugs.

“Subsequently, the suspects and recovered items were handed over to National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) for further action.

“Similarly, troops in conjunction with NDLEA personnel raided identified drug spots, in Alaka, Ajamogha and Ugbenbe general area. 16 suspects were arrested and substances suspected to be hard drugs (Cocaine and Marijuana) were found in their possession. The suspects and items were handed over to NDLEA officials for further action.”

Agim added that bags of rice suspected to be smuggled from Cameroon at Mbo River, Mbo LGA of Akwa Ibom State, were intercepted and handed over to Nigeria Customs Service, Akwa Ibom State Command, for further action.

He said, “In another development, troops deployed at Ibaka intercepted and arrested 2 wooden boats at Ebughu River in Mbo LGA with 4 and 5 crew each conveying 202 fifty kilogram bags and 326 fifty kilogram bags of rice respectively suspected to be smuggled from Cameroon. Both the suspects and the rice were handed over to Nigeria Customs Service Comptroller General Strike Force in Akwa Ibom for further investigation and prosecution.”

The military spokesman, who gave detailed records of Operation 777, said it has made huge achievement which resulted in the increase in oil and gas production in the country.

He added that Operation 777 is aimed at curbing crude oil theft, illegal refining of petroleum products, illegal oil bunkering, communal clashes, kidnapping, piracy, cultism as well as to eliminate militancy within its Joint Operation Area, JOA.

Agim also disclosed that the Defence headquarters has found out that the allegations levelled against the Commander of the Joint Task Force, JTF, is “false”, stressing that “It was criminality fighting back”.

In his words, ”Gentlemen of the press, let me use this medium to report that, sometime in August this year, Defence Headquarters received petition against the Force Commander, OPDS Rear Admiral Apochi Suleiman of some wrong doing.”

The Chief of Defence Staff, General AG Olonisakin had constituted a committee to investigate the veracity of the allegations.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/07/jtf-destroys-militant-camps-arrests-suspected-pirates-others-in-niger-delta/

Politics / Breaking: Imo Speaker, 18 Lawmakers Dump Apc, Pdp; Join Okorocha’s In-law In Aa by 2Ebisco: 10:06pm On Dec 06, 2018
Nineteen out of the 27 lawmakers of the Imo State House of Assembly have joined the Action Alliance, AA, denouncing their memberships of the All Progressives Congress and the Peoples Democratic Party respectively.

The Speaker of the state House of Assembly, Acho Ihim, announced this while during plenary on Thursday evening.

He also announced that he had joined his colleagues in the AA.

Reading the defection notice, Ihim said the defection notice was dated November 7.

The former PDP lawmakers were Ken Agbim, Bruno Ukoha and Mike Iheanatu.

Apart from the Speaker, the former APC lawmakers who joined AA are Ikechukwu Amuka, Authur Egwim, Uju Onwudiwe, Uche Ejiogu, Ngozi Obiefule, Lugard Osuji, Lloyd Chukwuemeka and Victor Onyewuchi.

Others were Chinedu Offor, Kennedy Ibe, Lawman Duruji, Max Odunze, Henry Ezediaro, and Obinna Egu

Speaking after the notice of defection was read, one of the defectors, Amuka, a former member of APC, accused the national chairman of the ruling party, Adams Oshiomhole of “collaborating.”

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/06/breaking-imo-speaker-18-lawmakers-dump-apc-pdp-join-okorochas-in-law-in-aa/

Politics / Food Distribution To Idps Will End Soon – NEMA by 2Ebisco: 3:30pm On Dec 06, 2018
The head of operations, Gombe state office of the National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA, Hajia Anima Amman has stated that the federal government will not indefinitely distribute food items to internally displaced persons, IDPs, irrespective of their locations.

Amman said the agency’s obligation is to only provide such food items to victims of disasters and IDPs in a specified period apparently to alleviate their sufferings.

The NEMA head of operation disclosed this to newsmen during an interview in Bauchi on the sidelines of a stakeholders’ meeting.

She stressed that the meeting is timely to enhance ways of mitigating fire, flood and conflict disasters in Bauchi state.

“FG had since prioritise the plights of IDPs in most prone areas through distribution of food items to alleviate the victims conditions but such gesture is for a period of time not a continues exercise,” he added.

According to Amman, the meeting with stakeholders is to provide avenues for strengthening disaster management, threat and recommendations against the menace

She noted that the responsibility of disaster prevention is not the sole business of NEMA alone but that all hands must be on deck.

“NEMA alone cannot mitigate any kind of disaster but it’s the sole responsibility of all stakeholders across,” Amman stressed.

She therefore sought stakeholders’ support for the reduction of disasters through the enlightenment of residents.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/06/food-distribution-to-idps-will-end-soon-nema/

Politics / Saraki Urges PMB To Sign New Electoral Act by 2Ebisco: 5:54am On Dec 06, 2018
Senate President, Bukola Saraki, has advised President Muhammadu Buhari not to heed the advice of the anti-democratic elements who have now populated the political space and putting pressure on him not to give assent to the 2018 Electoral Bill.

Saraki in a statement in Ilorin, yesterday signed by his Special Adviser (Media and Publicity), Yusuph Olaniyonu, urged the President to rise above petty politics and act without further delay in the best interest of the country and its democracy by signing the Electoral Bill into law.

Saraki noted that he had been inundated with telephone calls and discussions by members of the National Assembly who expressed concern about the delay in the signing into law of the Electoral Bill as the one month period provided by the law for the President to sign a bill presented to him by the National Assembly is about to expire in the next few days.

He added that many of the legislators who contacted him were particularly disturbed that certain individuals who are said to be chairmen of political parties had approached the Federal High Court to stop the President from assenting to the bill.

He noted that the jaded tactic employed in the 90s to scuttle the return to democracy when groups like the Association for Better Nigeria (ABN) went to court to frustrate the announcement of the results of the June 12, 1993 elections is now being adopted by some masked groups and individuals to stop the signing into law of the Electoral Bill.

He urged President Buhari to dissociate himself from these ugly antics and sign the bill which he said has comprehensively addressed issues that usually clog the process of free, fair, credible and peaceful elections.

“It is the prerogative of the President to either sign a Bill into law or refuse it assent. He is free to exercise this prerogative the way he likes in this case. What I found surprising is a situation where some people now want to adopt a wrong tactic of abusing the court process to stall the matter. That will be unacceptable and I am sure our judiciary will rely on the lessons from the past and not allow itself to be used.

“We do not want the President to allow the setting of a bad precedent in which somebody will go to court in future to stop the passage of an Appropriation Bill or any essential law which will be important to the development of the country.

“My position remains that the President, his aides, the entire country and the international community are aware that all the concerns raised by the President on the past three occasions he withheld assent to the bill have been addressed by the legislature. We bent backwards on each occasion to accommodate the wishes of the President. We started work on this law since 2016 to prevent a situation where it would become part of the election controversies.

“Every sincere commentator, observer and analyst knows that what we have done with that bill is to raise the level of transparency, credibility and acceptability of our electoral process. We made sure that the law if assented to and honestly applied by INEC and all those concerned will give us an election that will be better than what we had in 2015.

“The President should know that the survival of democracy, its development and the future of Nigeria are far more important than the ambition of any individual or party. I am using this opportunity to call on President Muhammadu Buhari to put a stop to this uncertainty in the political process by signing without delay the 2018 Electoral Bill so as to allow INEC and the concerned parties know how to prepare for a credible process”, Saraki stated.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/06/saraki-urges-pmb-to-sign-new-electoral-act/

Politics / How Buhari Can Prove He’s Not ‘jubril’ From Sudan – CUPP by 2Ebisco: 4:12pm On Dec 05, 2018
The Coalition of United Political Parties, CUPP, has disclosed how President Muhammadu Buhari and the All Progressives Congress, APC, can proved he was not cloned.

There had been insinuations that Buhari was replaced with one Jubril from Sudan. Responding to the claim, Buhari, while in Poland, said that he is real and not cloned.

However, CUPP has now said Buhari can prove he was not a double by signing the electoral amendment bill 2018, upon his return from Poland.

In a statement signed by Ikenga Ugochinyere, its spokesman, CUPP wondered why Buhari has deliberately refused to sign the electoral amendment bill, 2018.

CUPP also wondered how Buhari, “who had claimed to be a victim of rigged elections and how an improved electoral process benefitted him in 2015 is now the greatest antagonist to free and fair election”.

The statement reads: “Many Nigerians do not believe that the Buhari they knew in 2015 who declared that he belonged to everyone and belonged to no one is the same person dividing Nigerians along 97% and 5% and exhibiting the worst levels of nepotism in the appointment of heads of security agencies.

“Hence, President Buhari’s best way to prove to the Nigerians he spoke to in Poland that he is not cloned is to come home as a true Nigerian leader and sign the 2018 amended Electoral Bill into law.”

CUPP alleged that Buhari intentionally withheld assent to the bill so that the ECOWAS deadline can be cited as an excuse for not signing the bill.

“We are also sad to say this to you; that there is intelligence that the President has agreed with his kitchen cabinet not to sign the amendment into law.

“We have been informed that after several undue delays, the President is set to communicate the National Assembly anytime from today that he would not be able to sign the amendment due to the existence of Article 2 of the ECOWAS Protocol on democracy and good governance which prohibits countries from making Electoral Act amendments less than six months to elections unless there is consent of the political parties,” the statement added.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/05/how-buhari-can-prove-hes-not-jubril-from-sudan-cupp/

36 Likes 5 Shares

Politics / 2019: Fr. Mbaka Under Attack Over Comment On Atiku, Peter Obi by 2Ebisco: 3:00pm On Dec 04, 2018
The Spiritual Director of the Adoration Ministry, Enugu Nigeria, Rev. Fr. Ejike Mbaka has come under attacks over his latest prediction on the fate of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar and his running mate, Peter Obi in the 2019 election.

Mbaka had during Sunday thanksgiving service predicted failure for the flag bearers of the PDP: Atiku and Obi.

In a viral video from the service, Mbaka berated Atiku’s running mate, Peter Obi, for not doing a project for his church, warning him of the consequences.

Fr. Mbaka curiously withheld Obi’s blessing and said he would only release it after Obi had done a project for the church.

The fiery priest said: “My brother and Governor, stand before all of us and tell what you want to do for God.”

Responding, Obi said: “Father, what I said is straightforward. You will come and show me the project so that the two of us will talk. That is what I said.”

Mbaka then accused the former governor of Anambra of making “political statement” and being deceitful.

“I can only bear witness to what I have tasted. You can be promising and doing for them in Anambra. In your capacity and what God has done for you as governor,God hates stinginess. What I am saying is not to please you, but what will save your life. Otherwise you and Atiku will fail.

“If there is a place they will coat words for you, it is not at Mbaka’s altar. You can save your political destiny.

“Listen, if you have an adviser, you can save your political destiny or you people won’t even know how she when they will do 2019 election. You people won’t even understand how it will all go down.

“Governors of Ebonyi and Enugu made donations without announcing at the altar, Your own is taking time,the way you and Atiku are moving will end in shame.

“Let us continue our bazaar. You know since he is not supporting us, the ministry has been moving. If people start arguing like this, their downfall begins.”

Obi again responded saying: “Father knows I don’t make political statements. Anyone here from Anambra state knows Peter Obi has never promised anything and failed. I am a fundamental Catholic. I do whatever I say at the church.”

Reacting to the viral video, Nigerians used their Twitter pages to share divergent opinions concerning the fiery priest’s statement.

Some commended Obi for standing his ground and not making fake promises at the altar of God despite pressure from the priest.

Here are some comments gathered by DAILY POST from Twitter:

@Lexusfolks “Father Mbaka is a shame to Christianity. Dose it mean that God needs Peter Obi donation to win election? Why is he insulting God for his own selfish reason?

“Atiku and Peter Obi will win 2019 election without his prophesy. God will shame him this time around

@Rouvafe “This video tells us more about Peter Obi’s character.The average Nigerian Politician will make all sorts of promises & tell lies just to win an election, but here is Peter Obi standing his ground despite this open blackmail.Nigerian Politics needs more people like peter Obi!

@Obynopato “So Mbaka is now using his church as business venture. the FAIL he is saying look so much like him,he has failed as a priest and the Obi had achieved a good name as the former Gov of Anambra state.”

@Mediamanifold “Father Mbaka with all due respect,you goofed. You are now trading the gospel… Now you are not God who determines who fail or not. This is absolutely appalling and very disturbing.”

@Ifeabunnike “What Father Mbaka did to Peter Obi at the alter of God and in God’s name was disgraceful and should be condemned by all well meaning Christians. If this was what Christ stood for, I don’t want to be a part of it anymore.”

@DrJoeAbbah “Can any Catholic person please educate me on why Ejike Mbaka is still a Catholic priest? Is he still part of the Catholic Church or is he on his own now?

@Kizillion “How can you threaten a man with failure because he did not donate to your church project?! Shame!!! Men like Peter Obi should be celebrated more for having more cojones than liars like Hope Uzodinma who wants to build a first-class medical centre in 1month.”

@PappyGrande “Peter Obi on that stage, with all the pressure and taunting from Fr. Mbaka, with APC promising heaven and earth, yet he stuck to his principles. Tells you a lot about the man.”

@Mr_pragmatican “Father Mbaka still thinks he has the backing of God’s Spirit. What sort of nonsense statement to have called Peter Obi _ stingy and claiming he will fail with Atiku. Mbaka is fake. I repeat, Mbaka is fake. Materialistic man of God.”

@Blackmaimy “I salute Peter Obi’s calmness and composure during Father Mbaka’s disgraceful act. It is ungodly, unethical and not divinely orchestrated.Peter Obi should put his trust on God and not on human.”

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/04/2019-fr-mbaka-under-attack-over-comment-on-atiku-peter-obi/

Politics / Bode George Speaks On ‘rift’ With Jimi Agbaje by 2Ebisco: 2:46pm On Dec 04, 2018
A former Deputy National Chairman of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), Chief Olabode George, on Monday stated that there was no rift between him and the party’s governorship candidate in Lagos State, Mr Jimi Agbaje.

George, while speaking at a colloquium titled: “2019: South West speaks”, said the belief in some quarters that he and Agbaje were not in good terms was untrue.

According to NAN, he said that although they had differences on certain political issues in the past, they have since risen above that and made up.

The former Deputy National Chairman added that he has since forgotten whatever happened between the two of them as an elder in the party and in the interest of PDP.

“There is no rift between Agbaje and me. All that happened in the past is gone. The Yorubas say if you continue to nurse grudges with people, you will not have anybody to call your friend. The issues of the past belong to the past, there is no rift between us,” he said.

George also stressed the need for Nigerians to work together in the interest of the country.

He said that no nation attains greatness when people saw differences and identified themselves more with tribes than with the nation.

George said there was the need for Nigerians to shun politics of hatred and sectarian malice that would impede unity and peaceful co-existence.

“Let us dismantle the politics of hate and bitterness which diminish all of us. Let us remove the ogre of sectarian malice that distorts out humanity.

“All our ethnic constituents are naturally peace-loving, caring and willing to live among themselves in harmony. Let the leaders demonstrate genuine, unbiased and unprejudiced leadership.

“We have remained as a nation for 104 years now. That itself is a great achievement. Let us now build further on the path of progression and Pacific relationship.

“Let us continue to condemn and stamp out the primitive ideology of hatred and division,” he said.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/04/bode-george-speaks-on-rift-with-jimi-agbaje/

Politics / Buhari’s Cooperation Needed Before You Can Establish Neighbourhood Safety Agency by 2Ebisco: 7:35pm On Dec 01, 2018
Former President Goodluck Jonathan has told the Rivers Government that the cooperation of the Federal Government must be sought before establishing the Neighbourhood Safety Corps Agency.

Jonathan said that when a state government is setting up a volunteer service to manage the security situation, the police and Army within the state must give their maximum cooperation.

The former President, however, promised to interface with President Muhammadu Buhari over the matter to ensure an amicable resolution of the impasse between the Army and the Rivers State Government in the interest of the security of the state.

Jonathan also commiserated with the government and people of the state over the collapse of a 7-Storey building in Port Harcourt that led to the loss of some lives.

The former President, who was in Port Harcourt on Saturday, was accompanied by his wife, Dame Patience Jonathan.

He spoke at the site of the collapsed 7-storey building at Woji road in New GRA, Port Harcourt.

He said, “I will take it up with Mr President to see how we will resolve the matter amicably in the interest of our people.

“If you don’t have the cooperation of volunteers working with the security services, we will not be able to manage the security situation.

“If a state is setting up a volunteer service to manage the security situation, we expect cooperation from the police and the Army within the state.

“If there are any issues that should be cleared, I expect the Commissioner of Police and the General Officer Commanding to meet with the Security Adviser to the Rivers State Governor to discuss these grey areas.

“These are extremely riverine states. Apart from the Navy, 60 percent of the personnel of the other security services cannot swim. Managing security in these states require the locals.

“When we set up the Bayelsa Volunteers, we worked with the Police to reduce piracy in the state. I have realised that without the locals, you cannot succeed in terms of managing security anywhere,” Jonathan said.

He recalled that as a President he allowed the setting up of the Civilian Joint Task Force to work with the military to tackle Boko Haram insurgency, saying that the decision helped so much.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/12/01/buharis-cooperation-needed-before-you-can-establish-neighbourhood-safety-agency-jonathan-tells-wike/

2 Likes

Politics / Reps Summon Rotimi Amaechi Over Corruption Allegations by 2Ebisco: 10:34am On Nov 30, 2018
The House of Representatives Committee on Land Transport has summoned the Minister of Transport, Rotimi Amaechi.

Chairman of the committee, Abdulmumin Jibrin, told Channels Television on Thursday in Abuja, that the minister was summoned to appear before the committee over allegations of corruption and breach of process.

According to Jubril, the committee has received a lot of allegations from credible sources against the minister and wants to investigate the issues raised.

He added that the lawmakers after a meeting of the committee believed that Nigerians should know about the things being done behind the scenes.

Recall that Amaechi was last week booed and shouted down by an angry audience for attempting to reel out the achievements of President Muhammadu Buhari’s government at a town hall meeting/presidential debate organised by the Osasu Show Symposium in Abuja.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/11/30/reps-summon-rotimi-amaechi-over-corruption-allegations/

Politics / New Commander Takes Over Boko Haram War by 2Ebisco: 7:53am On Nov 28, 2018
The new Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, Major General Benson Akinroluyo, has taken over the control of the theatre.

The handover ceremony which was quite impromptu took place on Tuesday at the Theatre Command in Borno State, North East Nigeria.

However, journalists were barred from covering the event which was attended only by principal officers of the theatre.

Major General Akinroluyo was the General Officer Commanding the Headquarters 3 Division before his new posting was announced by the Nigerian Army authorities on November 10.

He replaces Major General Abba Dikko who has been posted to the Department of Civil-Military Affairs as its chief.

Akinroluyo is the seventh Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole since Lieutenant General Tukur Buratai became the Chief of Army Staff.

Lieutenant General Buratai launched the Operation in July 2015

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/11/28/new-commander-takes-over-boko-haram-war/

15 Likes 5 Shares

Education / FG, ASUU Yet To Resolve Issues After 3 Meetings by 2Ebisco: 8:12am On Nov 27, 2018
The federal government and the Academic Staff Union of Universities(ASUU) are yet to come to an agreement and end the ongoing strike by the union.

Since the lecturers resumed strike on November 5, 2018, over demands for improved funding of public universities based on agreements reached with the Federal Government in 2009, the two bodies have met three times with the aim of bringing a lasting solution to the problem.

The first meeting of both parties was on November 15, 2018, while the second was on November 22, 2018 and the third was held yesterday.

The national president of ASUU, Prof. Biodun Ogunyemi, told LEADERSHIP that another date will be scheduled for the continuation of the negotiation.

“ We have finished with the meeting of today. The meeting continues at a later date,” he said.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/11/27/fg-ASUU-yet-to-resolve-issues-after-3-meetings/

Sports / NNL Congress Wants Gombe, Kogi Utd, Others Promoted To NPFL by 2Ebisco: 7:58am On Nov 26, 2018
The Annual General Assembly meeting, (AGM) of the Nigerian National League, (NNL), has proposed a direct promotion for all eight qualified teams from its four groups to the elite league, Nigerian Premier Football League (NPFL).

Rising from their Annual General Meeting (AGM) held during the weekend in Abuja, the NNL congress also agreed to cancel the 2018 Super 8 competition which was usually the way to determine teams that get promoted to the NPFL.

The congress blamed the crisis that rocked the Nigeria football and said that the decision was taken in the best interest of football.

The proposal is expected to be submitted to the League Management Company (LMC) ahead of a meeting of top stakeholders to discuss the final outcome of the proposal.

The new arrangement if it scales through will have the top finisher and winners in each of the four groups of NNL abridged leagues gaining promotion to NPFL. The eight teams penciled down for promotion are: Gombe United, Kogi United, Kada City, Real Stars, Bendel Insurance, Delta Force, 3SC and Remo Stars.

The Congress also approved the 2018/2019 season to kick off on January 19, 2019 in an abridged format of 4 groups.

Reacting on the development, chairman of Kogi United, Abdul Sule said the achievement of the club is dedicated to Governor Yahaya Bello’s sports loving administration for the outstanding support.

He said the club would work towards making the promotion to the elite division permanent.

“We are still expecting the final ratification by the LMC but I must dedicate this ticket to His Excellency, Governor Yahaya Bello and the sports loving people of Kogi State, this is long overdue for us to be part of elite division.

“We will commence work immediately to ensure that we remain there and not making up the numbers, we also solicit the support from every stakeholders to make the club more great,” he said.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/11/26/nnl-congress-wants-gombe-kogi-utd-others-promoted-to-npfl/

Politics / Should Civil Servants Participate In Partisan Politics? by 2Ebisco: 6:56am On Nov 26, 2018
In its Tuesday 12th November edition, Daily Trust highlights how civil servants who failed to get their party nomination for the 2015 general elections were reabsorbed into the service.

I personally was never aware that there are Supreme Court rulings which permit civil servants to be members of political parties, to declare their interest to contest for political positions and are only required to resign, if they secure the nomination of their respective parties, thirty days before the election date.

I was a civil servant in the First Republic and I served in the Military Governments that ruled the country from 1966 to 1978 when I retired.

I also recall that in the negotiations that led to the granting of independence to our country, one of the main point of emphasis was the entrenchment in our laws of an independent, impartial and neutral Civil Service for Nigeria.

It was so important that our Founding Fathers, solemnly signed an undertaking to ensure an impartial, professional and independent Civil Service. In order to protect the civil service from political influences, an Independent Civil Service Commission was established and the Prime Minister became the Head of the Civil Service.

Civil Service appointments, discipline, progression and all other matters related thereto were the sole responsibility of the Civil Service Commissions. The only exception was that of the selection of people for the post of Permanent Secretary which would be in consultation between the Chairman of the Civil Service Commission and the Head of the Civil Service on the one part; and on the other, the Head of Government from a selection of eligible serving members of the senior civil servants, usually of Permanent Secretary Grade and recommended by the Civil Service Commission in consultation with the Head of Service. The appointment, however, is made by the Head of Government, not the Civil Commission.

Those of us who served in the period of transition and the immediate post independence civil service that succeeded the departing Colonial Civil Servants, believed that while we had the right to hold political views and to vote for political parties of our choice; we did not believe that we were entitled to join political parties and publicly express political partisanships.

We believed that in the exercise of our duties and in the observance of the Oaths of Office and, particularly the part of the Oath of Secrecy, to which we subscribed, our total and absolute loyalty is entirely at the service of the Government, for the time being in power. I believe that for the most part, the civil services of the country honorably discharged those duties and were loyal to the governments under which they served.

Because they were able to be politically neutral, they were able to discharge their responsibilities honorably not only to the Governments they served but to the opposition political parties and to the general public. This was never in doubt.

It is these principles of independence and impartiality of the service system that served the country well in the First Republic and sustained the Military Regimes that governed the country during its worst crisis.

The destruction of the Civil Service system in the post Gowon Era and subsequent abuse of the system by succeeding military and civilian governments is largely to blame for our present state of affairs, particularly the impunity, the absence of due process and total lack of respect for leadership, especially government leadership.

The general provision of our Constitutions, that give the right to Nigerian Citizens the freedom of association, freedom to hold political views, to vote and to be voted for, would seem to give everyone the right to form associations or to belong to any society and to propagate any doctrine. This, in my view, does not mean that there are, circumstances in which these rights may be abridged in the national interest and good governance. Every right must come with the making of a sacrifice. This is one such instance, which we must observe.

Any person seeking appointment into the civil service should be required to accept and to sign a pledge that he or she will not, while in service, be a member of any political party.

I cannot imagine any circumstance that would permit the Nigerian Military or Police, or even the Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission, the Chief Justice of Nigeria, the Army chief of Staff or the Inspector General of Police to be active members of political parties.

This is an unfortunate situation into which we have, without taking notice of it, slipped. That is the situation where every succeeding Government begins with the removal of all the top Heads of the Professional Services and replacing them with amenable sectional party loyalties and prejudices, thereby leading to loss of sense of duty, professional loyalty and esprit de corp. This is most dangerous especially in the military, the police and the public service systems.

I think that we should take this issue seriously in the interest of good governance; independence in making judgments and of rendering impartial and loyal advice to the constituted authorities for the time in power.

I think that this issue is so crucial to our good governance that the Executive and Legislature should give their most urgent attention to the consideration, if necessary, to a Constitutional Amendment or necessary legal provision to preserve the independence and impartiality of some of critical Constitutionally entrenched bodies of country.

– Joda is an elder statesman and retired federal permanent secretary.

http://mcebiscoo.com/2018/11/26/should-civil-servants-participate-in-partisan-politics/

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (of 20 pages)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 184
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.