Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,754 members, 7,824,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:41 AM

2Ebisco's Posts

Nairaland Forum / 2Ebisco's Profile / 2Ebisco's Posts

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (of 20 pages)

Entertainment / Wwe’s Roman Reigns Gives Up Title Due To Leukaemia by 2Ebisco: 5:37pm On Oct 23, 2018
WWE star Roman Reigns is giving up his Universal Championship title because he has leukaemia.

The four-time world champion told fans on Monday he had been diagnosed with the disease 11 years ago but was in remission.

But he says the leukaemia has returned which means he can no longer “be that fighting champion”.

Fans sent messages of support on social media and the hashtag #ThankYouRoman has been trending on Twitter.

Roman, a former American football player, made the announcement in the ring at Monday Night Raw.

Addressing the crowd, the 33-year-old said: “Y’all have made my dreams come true.

“It didn’t matter if you cheered me or you booed me, you’ve always reacted to me and that’s the most important thing and for that I have to say thank you so much.”

Roman, real name Joe Anoa’i, told fans he wanted to make it clear that his announcement wasn’t a “retirement speech”.

He said once he recovers from the leukaemia he will be “coming back home”.

“When I do it’s not going to be just about titles or being on top. It’s about a purpose.”

He added: “I will beat this and I will be back so you will see me very, very soon.”

After his emotional address, he was given a hug by Dean Ambrose and Seth Rollins, his partners from The Shield wrestling group.

Reigns is a four-time world champion having held the WWE World Heavyweight Championship three times and the Universal Championship once.

https://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/10/council-boss-rallies-support-for.html

Politics / 2019: Why Women Issues Must Count by 2Ebisco: 7:31am On Oct 22, 2018
Few hours back, I strolled into one of the key offices under the office of the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria with a singular matter for constructive dialogue with a friend who is a senior aide of President Muhammadu Buhari.

My concern was on the observed lack of observation by the mainstream political parties of the policy framework that greeted the 1995 Fourth United Nations women conference in the Chinese capital of Beijing which basically recommended certain percentages of women inclusion in all aspects of political governance globally. Under the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), out of the seventeen key goals, the number five demanded gender equality in terms of appointments into decision making process.

Given the lack of adherence by the major political parties to the basic imperative of observing gender mainstreaming in deciding aspirants to run for public offices in the forthcoming election, I was worried by the decline in the number of women that emerged from the fratricidal warfare that was termed the party primaries of such major political platforms of the All Progressives Congress (APC) and the leading opposition party –the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP).

Of the two mainstream national parties, only the All Progressives Congress picked very insignificant percentage of women aspirants to run for the available slots in the forthcoming elections in 2019. Adamawa has two women who got tickets to stand for office of Senators out of the three slots.

On the other hand, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) which over the decade respected the mainstreaming of women participation in governance, unfortunately did very badly.

Take for instance the federal government that was administered by the former university don Dr Goodluck Jonathan between 2011 and 2015, made sure that women got a greater chunk of the top flight federal appointments. Women got 33 percentage of top appointments made by the administration of Dr Goodluck Jonathan according to a statistics made available by the Nigerian Institute of Management.

Women for instance headed both the petroleum and the national economy portfolio for the duration of the President Jonathan’s era. Jonathan also gave unfettered opportunities to his wife to engage constructively in pro-women projects which to a very large extent achieved a lot of mileages for the advancement of the rights of women and children. The current government of Muhammadu Buhari is reported to have offered only a paltry 19 percent of such appointments to women which is like 50 percent decline from the benchmark made by the immediate past administration as claimed by Professor Olukunle Iyanda, the president of the Nigerian Institute of Management (NIM). Indeed the NIM accused President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration of sidelining women.

Ironically, the list of those to run for elective offices in the coming election amongst the women members of the opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has significantly declined compared to the All Progressives Congress which is accused of marginalizing women.

The party that is affiliated to the current president known as All Progressives Congress (APC) looks set to present more women to run for offices than any other political party of national significance. For instance the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) schemed out the wife of the renowned South East legend the late Ikemba of Igboland Chukwuemeka Ojukwu. Mrs. Bianca Ojukwu was rigged out of the Senatorial Primary in Anambra state by a political party that rode on the good name of her late husband to gain tremendous acceptance amongst Igbo. These scheming out deliberately of women by political parties preparatory to the 2019 poll is worrisome.

So this friend I met in the presidency also expressed shock and disappointment with the turn of events which according to her will not augur well for the advocacy for gender equity in governance that has gone on in Nigeria for so long. She was rather sad that Nigeria instead of making progress in this area has suddenly declined. She referred this writer to the practice in a place like Rwanda where by in the parliament, women make up over fifty percent representation.

Whilst still lamenting over the unfolding scenario, yours faithfully then flipped through a copy of the day’s newspaper only to behold a very sad story about a couple in Port Harcourt, the Rivers State capital, who sold their week-old baby boy for N200, 000 to a human trafficking syndicate so they can relocate from a part of Ngwa land in Abia State to Port Harcourt or any other urban center.

The couple, who hail from Isiala-Ngwa North Local Government Area of Abia State, confessed to the crime, saying it was hard times that forced them into the decision.

Narrating her part in the deal, the wife said: “I have given birth to four children, one is late. I have two now. So when I became pregnant I told my husband that we would sell the baby and use the money to relocate from my village to township to start a better life. He refused but I forced him into agreeing with my plan.

“My husband is a labourer, he is a wheelbarrow pusher. I owe debts everywhere and I needed to settle them. So, we sold the baby for N200, 000 but I later learnt the baby was sold for N500, 000.”Her husband, Richard said: “We were owing N10, 000 and the hardship was too much for us to bear. I went round seeking for help but no help came. We wanted to relocate to the township for a chance of a better life, that was why we sold the baby to enable us raise money and rent an apartment in the city.”

Parading the suspects alongside other seven child traffickers at the IGP complex in Aluu, Ikwere Local Government Area of Rivers State, the Deputy Commissioner of Police in charge of the IGP Monitoring Team, DCP Benneth Igwe, disclosed that the team rescued six pregnant women and arrested seven child traffickers in connection with the business.

He said: “Based on reliable intelligence about a notorious child trafficking cartel operating in Obigbo-Afam in Oyigbo Local Government Area and Omagwa, Aluu, the operatives burst into Afrique Hotel in Oyigbo and rescued six pregnant women awaiting delivery.

“The hotel is used as a harbinger by suspected child traffickers. Information further revealed that on October 7, the victims, one Richard Benson and his wife, Chidinma Benson, delivered a baby boy at Grace Land Maternity Homes, Afam Obigbo.

The US based Cable News Network reported only last month about the discovery of the forest in France and further reported that the trafficking of Nigerian women for prostitution began in the late 1980s, according to the UN, when women were sent to Italy and forced into sex work. Returning home, they became the first generation of madams. They, in turn, made other young women suffer as they did.

Aurélie Jeannerod, who works with NGO Aux Captifs, la Liberation, which visits and supports prostitutes in the Bois de Vincennes and other parts of Paris, says there are also men involved with the networks.

–Onwubiko is head of the Human Rights Writers Association of Nigeria

https://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/10/2019-why-women-issues-must-count.html

Politics / Nigeria Gets $10 Million From Afdb To Finance Energy Infrastructure by 2Ebisco: 6:42am On Oct 21, 2018
Nigeria’s infrastructure development has received further boost with the approval of $10 million by the Board of Directors of the African Development Bank Group in the Chapel Hill Denham Nigeria Infrastructure Debt Fund (NIDF). According to a statement released by the Bank this week, the investment aims to accelerate the country’s infrastructure investment needs, including in power and energy infrastructure sectors. The NIDF is the first and the only listed local currency infrastructure debt fund in Africa. The Bank explained that the transaction is financed through the Bank’s ordinary capital resources allocated for private sector operations financing and it is expected to deliver significant development outcomes – private sector development through support to industrialisation and diversification from conventional oil and gas.
It will also help to strengthen capital markets harness domestic financial resources to fund critical infrastructure and human development by providing and improving access to basic services. The Bank Group’s investment in NIDF will significantly boost the country’s infrastructure stock, including increased clean gas distribution and power generation (including through renewable energy) capacities. The NIDF will also target investments in other key infrastructure sub-sectors such as transportation and logistics. The fund will meaningfully contribute to inclusive growth by supporting infrastructure development in Nigeria, which faces significant infrastructure deficits. Consequently, the funding will help improve the quality of life and the business environment.

Presenting the project to the Board, the Bank’s Vice President for Power, Energy, Climate Change and Green Growth, Amadou Hott, underscored the importance of the crowding-in effect to fill the infrastructure-financing gap in Nigeria in order to achieve universal energy access. “The Bank’s investment in NIDF will have a demonstration crowding-in other Nigerian institutional investors. This will enable the Bank to fill critical gaps in infrastructure financing, especially in the energy sector,” he said.The Bank’s investment in the NIDF will catalyze private sector investments and is expected to unlock up to NGN134 billion from the private sector, especially from Pension fund administrators who have already invested NGN15.4 billion in NIDF. This is the first unit trust investment by the Bank, with expectations to replicate similar investments across the African continent.

The NIDF provides long-term financing for infrastructure projects in Nigeria that is denominated in the local currency (Naira). It plays a critical role in correcting the current tenor and currency mismatch that is prevalent in infrastructure financing in Nigeria. The Director of the Energy Financial Solutions Department, Wale Shonibare addressed this in his presentation saying: “NIDF is addressing the issues of currency and tenor mismatch in infrastructure projects in Nigeria by providing loans that are denominated in the local currency, Naira, with proceeds in Naira, and also closely matching the loan tenor to the life of the asset.”Established in June 2017, the NIDF is structured as a permanent capital vehicle. Its units are listed on the FMDQ OTC Exchange, Nigeria, and regulated by the Securities & Exchange Commission. The Fund has registered a programme for issuance of up to two billion Units with par value of NGN200 billion. Since its inception, it has raised an aggregate capital of more than NGN19.15 billion and currently has a portfolio of eight infrastructure loan.

https://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/10/nigeria-gets-10-million-from-afdb-to.html

Politics / No Extension Of Deadline For Submission Of Candidates’ List – INEC by 2Ebisco: 9:29am On Oct 20, 2018
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) says it will not extend the deadline for submission of list of candidates’ names by political parties for the 2019 general elections. The Chief Press Secretary to INEC Chairman, Mr Rotimi Oyekanmi disclosed this in an interview with the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Friday in Abuja. Oyekanmi said that the Commission had scheduled the submission of candidates’ names for the Presidential and National Assembly between Oct. 10 and Oct. 18, and deadline for the Governorship and State Assemblies election for Nov. 2, and there is no extension. “The Commission is following its timetable and schedule of activities for 2019 general elections. No extension of deadline for submission.” Rotimi, who was unable to give the precise number of political parties that met the deadline as at the time of filing this report, said “over 80 political parties made it but I am still waiting for the precise number.” NAN correspondent, who also visited the Aso Hall, International Conference Centre (ICC), Abuja, the venue of the submission after the deadline, reports that some officers of political parties, who got tallies on Wednesday night were still going through the submission process. A staff of the Commission, who pleaded anonymity, told NAN that given of tally to political parties stopped Thursday night. He said due to the last minutes rush by political parties, INEC staff, security officers and other personnel on duty at the venue were unable to go home. He said that they had reached about 70 out of over 80 political parties that had so far submitted their candidates’ list. He also confirmed that the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) and major opposition party, Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) had submitted their forms. NAN reports that as at 4p.m., on Friday some political parties’ representatives were seen in front of the hall waiting for their turn to submit their forms.

https://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/10/no-extension-of-deadline-for-submission.html

Politics / Party Primaries: NHRC Urges INEC To Resist Impunity by 2Ebisco: 4:58pm On Oct 19, 2018
The Executive Secretary, National Human Rights Commission, (NHRC), Tony Ojukwu, Esq, has called on the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), to stand up against impunity as well as reject result of any party primary that was not monitored by the electoral body.

Ojukwu, who made the call yesterday at the headquarters of the NHRC in Abuja while addressing an Investigative Panel on Alleged Wrongful Termination of Appointments of some Civil Servants In Ekiti State, queried that his commission has watched with dismay the impunity displayed by political parties across-board in the process of choosing candidates during the just concluded party primaries preceding the 2019 elections.

“Following reports monitored in the media by NHRC field monitors in the states and the deluge of complaints received by the commission on the denial of the right to participate in governance through free, fair, open and inclusive conduct of party primaries, it is obvious that most of the political parties either did not conduct any credible primaries or just selected candidates in a manner that is not transparent, participatory and open, thereby denying party members and candidates the right to participate in governance and elections as guaranteed by constitution , the African Charter on Human Right as well as other international Instruments to which Nigeria is a party.”

“The commission therefore calls on INEC to stand up against this impunity as human rights defender and reject the result of any primary that was not monitored and witnessed by INEC. In this respect, the commission also commends INEC for the action taken on Zamfara State Governorship primaries of one of the political parties enjoins the judiciary to support the building of a credible, fair, inclusive and open process of selecting leaders in Nigeria and provide the enabling environment for the sustenance and depending of Nigeria democracy,” he said.

Meanwhile, the NHRC has called on members of the public to attend and actively participate at the Public Sitting of the Presidential Panel on Reform of SARS which it says begins its sitting at the premises of the FCT High Court, Maitama, Abuja, starting from 9:00am daily. The commission reveals the Abuja sittings will deal with complaints and memoranda received from the states in the North-Central geo political zone of the country as well as the FCT.

https://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/10/party-primaries-nhrc-urges-inec-to.html

Politics / 2019: APC Legal Team Threatens Oshiomhole With Contempt by 2Ebisco: 9:17pm On Oct 18, 2018
The faction of the All Progressives Congress, APC led by Chief Cyril Ogodo in Delta State, has threatened to initiate contempt proceeding against the National Chairman of the party, Comrade Adams Oshiomhole.

The party faction warned that anyone who violated the order of the Federal High Court, sitting at Asaba for parties to maintain status quo pending the hearing and determination of the substantive suit before it by the Ogodo led executive will face the law.

The threat was made in reaction to comments by the legal adviser of the Jones Erue led executive, E.V. Onojeghuo that no order restraining the APC and its chairman (Oshiomhole) was made by the court.

The statement was signed by Fred Olokor Esq., and made available to reporters in Asaba, the state capital.

It said, “Let it be known that anyone who violates the clear orders made on the 17th of October, 2018 stands the risk of having contempt proceedings initiated against them.

“Our attention has been drawn to the erroneous and mischievous interpretation being given to the clear and unambiguous order made on the 17th of October, 2018 by Honourable Justice Toyin Adegoke of the Federal High Court, sitting in Asaba in the suit brought by Cyril Ogodo & 2 ors Vs. Adams Oshiomhole, APC & Ors that all parties maintain status quo pending the hearing and determination of the substantive suit.

“At the resumed hearing of the case, Counsel to the Plaintiffs (O. J. Oghenejakpor, Esq.) who had filed a Motion on Notice to restrain 1st and 2nd Defendants (i.e APC and Oshiomhole) from submitting any list of candidates from Delta State to INEC other than the list of candidates that emerged from the Cyril Ogodo led executive’s primaries, which was duly served on all the Defendants, urged the Court to hear the motion on notice. But because the Defendants served counsel to the Plaintiffs their processes which included preliminary objections in court on the 17th of October, 2018 the motion was not moved.

“In a bid to diligently prosecute the case, the plaintiffs’ counsel applied for a stand down for a few hours to respond to the preliminary objections filed by the Defendants and served in court. The stand down was granted.

“And before the resumption of hearing after the stand down, the Plaintiffs’ counsel was able to file his response to the preliminary objections and was ready to argue the said preliminary objections and the substantive application. However, because the Defendants main aim in court was to stall the hearing of the case, they vehemently argued that they were not ready to respond on points of law orally. They insisted on filing a reply and applied for an adjournment of the case.

“When it was clear that the Defendants counsel’s intention was to stall the hearing of the case, the Plaintiff Counsel called upon the court to preserve the res in the matter which is to restrain the APC from submitting any list of candidates from Delta State to INEC for the 2019 general elections except candidates that emerged from the Cyril Ogodo anchored primaries.

“The court then inquired from the Counsel to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) if any list of candidates had been submitted to INEC as at 17th of October, 2018. The INEC counsel confirmed to court that no list of candidates for Delta State have been submitted to INEC yet.

“At this point the Honourable Judge ordered that all parties should maintain status quo. The clear meaning and intent of the status quo, therefore, is to preserve the res by ensuring that no list of candidates is submitted to INEC until the determination of the substantive matter.

“This was why the judge ordered for accelerated hearing and fixed November 1st and 2nd 2018 for the hearing and determination of the case.”

“It is therefore pedestrian and mischievous for anyone to suggest or argue that the Federal High Court in Asaba did not restrain APC from submitting any list of candidates for Delta State to INEC.

“The counsel to the 1st and 2nd Defendants (APC and the APC National Chairman) was in court and clearly understood what the order meant. Counsel will thus be unduly exposing his clients to the risk of contempt proceedings if he allows them to be misled by the mischievous interpretation of the Prophet Jones factional Legal Adviser as is being circulated in the media.”

https://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/10/2019-apc-legal-team-threatens.html

Celebrities / Actress Eniola Badmus Shares Semi-nude Photos As She Vacations In Atlanta, Georg by 2Ebisco: 12:45pm On Oct 18, 2018
41-year old curvaceous celebrity and filmmaker, Eniola Badmus has jetted out of the country to ease off stress.

Eniola Badmus, took to her IG page to share these semi-nude photos of herself relaxing on a couch while covering her modesty with a towel.

Eniola is really having the best time of her life as she captions; “Living my best life… Make every an adventure”

Badmus came into limelight in year 2008 after she featured in the film Jenifa.

See more photos below:

Eniola’s career in acting professional started in the year 2000 until in 2008 when she shot to recognition upon starring in two Yoruba films titled Jenifa and Omo Ghetto.

https://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/10/actress-eniola-badmus-shares-semi-nude.html

Politics / Senate Asks CBN To Suspend ATM Charges, Summons Emefiele by 2Ebisco: 5:47pm On Oct 17, 2018
The Senate has urged the Central Bank of Nigeria(CBN), to suspend the Automated Teller Machine(ATM) card maintenance charges pending outcome of investigation into alleged sharp practices by banks.

The senate also resolved to invite the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Mr Godwin Emefiele, to appear before the committees on Banking Insurance and other Financial Institutions to offer explanations.

The resolution followed a motion by Sen. Olugbenga Ashafa(APC-Lagos) at plenary on Wednesday.

The Upper Chamber further directed the committees to carry out a thorough investigation into the propriety of the ATM card maintenance charges in comparison with the international best practices.

Ashafa in his motion, said card users were charged N65 per withdrawal from the ATM, after the third withdrawal from an ATM outside that of the domiciled bank of the ATM users.

He further alleged that most banks deliberately manipulated their ATM machines not to dispense more than N10,000 per withdrawal

He added that it was to attract more bank charges from customers who were forced to carry out more transactions due to the manipulated machines.

“There have been several complaints from Nigerians generally and on social media concerning illicit and excessive charges by Nigerian commercial banks on customers accounts.

“This is with particular focus on ATM maintenance charges and ATM withdrawal charges

“It is worthy to note that the Central Bank of Nigeria in 2017 increased the maintenance fees charged by banks on debit and credit card maintenance.

“It was increased from N100 a year to N50 per month (N600 a year) as contained in its Guide to Charges by Banks and other Financial Institutions

“This has led to a viral campaign that began on social media on Monday, Sept. 3, by many Nigerians, calling for reforms of the banks.

“And a campaign tagged #Reform9jabanks began on twitter when a UK Based Nigerian medical doctor, Harvey Olufunmilayo, lamented about the state of banks in Nigeria compared to those abroad,” he said.

The lawmaker further noted that,”another Nigerian, Eniola who lives in Qatar, stated that banks in Qatar do not charge customers for the use of ATM.

“It is worrisome that most banks have deliberately manipulated their ATM Machines not to dispense more that N10,000 per withdrawal in some cases and in most cases not more than N20,000.00 per withdrawal.

“This is a deliberate ploy to manipulate the ATM machines which are ordinarily manufactured to dispense as much as N40,000 per transaction, in order to attract more bank charges from customers.

“Unfortunately, it appears that the CBN is becoming insensitive to the plight of Nigerians who are already complaining of excessive charges by commercial banks.

“If the CBN is trying to encourage a cashless Nigeria, why should they be making it more difficult and expensive for Nigerians to do transactions.”

Ashafa called on the senate to direct committees on Banking Insurance and other Financial Institutions, and Finance, to conduct investigation into propriety of ATM Card maintenance charges in comparison with international best practices and report back to Senate.

He also asked the senate to mandate the committees to invite the Governor of CBN to explain why the official charges as approved were skewed in favour of the banking institutions as against customers.

He further urged the CBN, “to suspend the ATM Card Maintenance Charges being deducted from customers’ accounts pending the outcome of the investigation by the committees.

“The Consumer Protection Council should be up and doing in taking up the plight of ordinary Nigerians by looking into the various complaints of excess and unnecessary charges.”

Contributing, several lawmakers frowned at the bank charges.

They urged the senate to urgently intervene in the interest of Nigerians.

The President of the Senate, Dr Bukola Saraki, directed the committee to do a thorough job in view of the pains ordinary Nigerians were going through due to the charges.

He commended the sponsor of the motion, saying it was timely.

https://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/10/senate-asks-cbn-to-suspend-atm-charges.html

Politics / 2019: Ex-militants Vow To Ensure Pmb’s Victory by 2Ebisco: 7:36am On Oct 17, 2018
Ex-militants under the platform of Coalition of Progressive Niger Delta Ex-militants (CPNDE) have pledged their support for the reelection of President Muhammadu in 2019, saying it is a decision already sealed.
The group rose from an emergency meeting in Lagos, yesterday, with a resolve to work assiduously for the re-election of President Muhammadu Buhari in 2019.
They said their decision to support Buhari’s second term bid was based on his efforts at deepening peace stability in the Niger Delta by initiating meaningful projects and enhancement of human capital development through the Presidential Amnesty Programme.

In a statement signed by its president, Edeinowei Galabagalaba and secretary, Gbobgo Eduobor, the group dismissed threats by a self-styled General Israel Eshanekpe Akporodo to work against President Buhari’s re-election. It said Akporodo’s threat was an effort at seeking political patronage.
“The so-called National Coalition of Niger Delta Ex-agitators which Akporodo claims to lead, is a phantom group merely on the pages of newspapers to fester his personal interest. He lacks the capacity to drive a process that would negatively affect the political fortunes of President Muhammadu Buhari in the Niger Delta region.
“We are resolute in our decision to ensure victory for Buhari in the Niger Delta in the 2019 presidential election. Towards this end, we have commenced consultative meetings to forge a common front.
The Coalition of Progressive Niger Delta Ex-Militants, comprising several genuine camp leaders and their foot soldiers affirm our unwavering support for President Buhari,” they added.

https://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/10/2019-ex-militants-vow-to-ensure-pmbs.html

5 Likes 1 Share

Foreign Affairs / US Airstrike Kills About 60 Al-shabab Extremist Fighters In Somalia by 2Ebisco: 7:06pm On Oct 16, 2018
The U.S. military on Tuesday announced its deadliest airstrike against the al-Shabab extremist group in Somalia in nearly a year, killing about 60 fighters.

The U.S. Africa Command said Friday’s airstrike occurred near the community of Harardere in Mudug province in the central part of the country. According to its assessment no civilians were injured or killed, the statement said.

It was the largest U.S. airstrike since one on Nov. 21, 2017, killed about 100 al-Shabab fighters.

The statement gave no further details about what was targeted in this latest strike and the U.S.

Africa Command did not immediately respond to questions. The U.S. military has carried out more than two dozen airstrikes, including drone strikes, this year against the al-Qaida-linked al-Shabab, the deadliest Islamic extremist group in sub-Saharan Africa.

Somalia on Sunday marked the first anniversary of al-Shabab’s deadliest attack, a truck bombing in Mogadishu that killed well over 500 people. It was one of the world’s deadliest attacks since 9/11 and the worst extremist attack ever in Africa. The United States, which also has targeted a small number of fighters linked to the Islamic State group in northern Somalia, has increased its military presence in the long-chaotic Horn of Africa nation since early 2017 to about 500 personnel after President Donald Trump approved expanded military operations. Al-Shabab, which seeks to establish an Islamic state in Somalia, continues to hold parts of the country’s south and central regions after being chased out of Mogadishu several years ago.

The group, estimated at several thousands of fighters, still carries out deadly attacks against high-profile targets such as hotels and checkpoints in the capital and other cities. It also remains a threat in parts of neighboring Kenya. While some observers have questioned the effectiveness of airstrikes by the U.S. and Kenya and raised concerns about civilians being killed, the U.S. military maintains that they “reduce al-Shabab’s ability to plot future attacks, disrupt its leadership networks and degrade its freedom of maneuver within the region.” Somali forces in the next few years are expected to take over responsibility for the country’s security from an African Union peacekeeping force, which already has started withdrawing hundreds of personnel.

The U.S. says it continues to support that transfer even as some U.S. military officials have joined AU officials and others in expressing concern that Somalia’s forces are not yet ready.

https://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/10/us-airstrike-kills-about-60-al-shabab.html

Celebrities / Hoodlums Harass Girl For Indecent Dressing In Lagos Market by 2Ebisco: 3:05pm On Oct 16, 2018
Some traders in Balogun Market on the Lagos Island Local Government Area of Lagos have expressed mixed reactions to the increasing rate of indecent dressing among young female Nigerians.

The traders expressed their feelings in an interview on Tuesday after hoodlums harassed a girl in the market for dressing indecently, touching her body and booing her with all sorts of names.

The ruffians who clapped their hands called “Asewo”, “Oloshi” and “Olosho N50” meaning she sells her body for N50.

The traders, who spoke , said that they saw one Miss Chidinma Okonkwo, early on Tuesday while she was being harassed by some ruffians because of her indecent dressing.

A cloths trader, Mr Tunde Azeez, who believed that Chidinma dressed indecently, said he was disappointed at the rate girls dressed exposing their bodies when they go out, especially when they come into the market.

“This is the reason why there are rape incidents and some men look down on women as sexual objects. “Some of these girls dressed this way believing it to be the trending fashion with no regards to how they appear, therefore, the girl deserve what she got,’’ he said.

A food seller, Mrs Chinyere Ogbonna, said she was not happy with the way Chidinma was harassed but it was her fault and she advised young people to dress well.

“Nowadays, we see girls dressing indecently in `half made dresses` and this does not portray good morals. “My advice is that people should learn to dress decently as their appearance describes who they are, especially young girls in order to avoid harassment or even rape,’’ she said.

Miss Blessing Nwata, a shoe trader who said she was in support of Chidinma, expressed the belief that she had not dressed indecently and therefore should not be harassed.

“The girl was not dressed indecently, besides even if she was, that should not be an excuse for harassment from the ruffians,’’ she said.

Miss Chidinma who was harassed told NAN that she was not dressed indecently and complained that she and some of her friends were always harassed by the ruffians no matter how they dressed.

“It is becoming a norm. This is not the first time I would be harassed, though I have got used to it.

“I am always harassed by these ruffians no matter how I dress, besides harassment of women should be stopped; indecent dressing should not be a reason for harassing females,’’ she said. (NAN)

https://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/10/hoodlums-harass-girl-for-indecent.html

Politics / Why We Killed Red Cross Aid Worker, Hauwa Leman – Boko Haram by 2Ebisco: 9:50am On Oct 16, 2018
The Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP), a faction of Boko Haram, has explained why they executed Hauwa Leman, an aid worker with the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC).

The terrorists also vowed to keep Leah Sharibu, the Dapchi schoolgirl, as “a slave for life”, TheCable gathered.

In a short clip, Leman was forced to kneel down, with her hands tied inside a white hijab, which has a crest symbol, and then shot at close range.

ISWAP, in a short statement, said: “We have kept our word exactly as we said, by killing another humanitarian worker, Hauwa Leman, who is working with the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) that were abducted during a raid on a military facility in Rann, Kala Balge in March 2018.

“Saifura and Hauwa were killed because they are considered as Murtads (apostates) by the group because they were once Muslims that have abandoned their Islam, the moment they chose to work with the Red Cross, and for us, there is no difference between Red Cross and UNICEF.

“If we see them, we will kill the apostates among them, men or women, and chose to kill or keep the infidels as slaves, men or women.”

https://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/10/why-we-killed-red-cross-aid-worker.html

Politics / 2019 Presidency: Senator Ogunlewe Reveals How Atiku Will Defeat Buhari by 2Ebisco: 8:55am On Oct 15, 2018
A former Minister of Works and a chieftain of the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Senator Adeseye Ogunlewe has stated that former Vice President, Atiku Abubakar, was going to defeat President Muhammadu Buhari in the 2019 presidential election.

According to the former lawmaker, Atiku will win the election through the political structure of late Ya’Adua.

Ogunlewe also told Sun that voters already know Atiku, who, according to him, has been contesting for twelve years now.

He said, “The election will be tough among the elite, but easy among the voters. The voters know Atiku because he has been contesting for the past 12 years.

“They have felt his impact as a member of the Peoples Democratic Movement (PDM), the Yar’Adua political structure.

“And there is hardly any politician in this country that does not know the ethics and the doctrines of the late Yar’Adua.

“So, that is what we are going to push now; it’s the Yar’Adua structure that we are going to use to win this election.

“And believe it or not, it is not going to be as difficult because we have the structure; we have a family and that is the Yar’Adua family.

“I am not saying that he would carry the day; but you need to plan. You must sit down and plan.

“You have to look at your strengths, weaknesses, opportunities and threats. You have to do that analysis to know where you have your strength and where you have to work harder.

“It is not going to be a story in the park, but we will work to be comfortable.”

https://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/10/2019-presidency-senator-ogunlewe.html

Politics / How Not Too Young To Run Movement Redefined Our Political Space – Itodo by 2Ebisco: 6:26am On Oct 14, 2018
Samson Itodo is the executive director of YAGA Africa/the convener of the Not Too Young To Run movement. In this interview with ORJIME MOSES, he speaks on some critical electoralissues ahead of the 2019 general elections.

What was your experience driving the Not Too Young To Run project, and how does it feel seeing it become a reality?

It feels really inspiring to realise that Nigerians and the entire world have not lost faith in democracy. The Not Too Young To Run movement, especially young people, stands for renewing their faith in democracy and saying they want to participate therefore, the government or the state have to create that access to them. Second is the fact that we have a deeply entrenched sense of democracy or political inequality as well as exclusion and so the Not Too Young To Run movement was the campaign to dislodge and outstage this inequality which was the driving force for the engagement of the constitutional reviewing process to lower the age for running for office and that is what the young people actually did. So activating our citizenship was one of the key outcome of the movement and I felt very excited. It is a great privilege that I was part of this generation that succeeded in the struggle for the reduction of age in the 1999 constitution as amended.

Are you impressed with the responses from young persons to the new law so far?

It really inspired them and I’m so much impressed with the outcomes. It might interest you to know that because of the movement, a lot of young people have been inspired to run for public offices. But it is not just about having young people. We now have young people who have capacity and competence as well as character are indicating interest to run for offices. Secondly, we also elevated the discuss about public leadership. Previously public leadership was about zoning, ethnicity and religious extraction but today we are beginning to see the citizens asking questions about the quality of leadership that we want and now young people are beginning to get into the murky waters of politics. Indeed that is the second key indicator that actually young people are really waking up and seriously want to engage the movement. Today if you browse the social media or even offline you can see young people talking about electons or political engagements.

They are talking about youth engagement and the participation of women or young persons with disability because of not too young to run movement. Third is the fact that within the political parties today the purchase of nomination forms and internal party participation have increased because of the movement. Young people have enrolled into political parties and they are pressing demands there. In fact it is even unprecedented that political parties are now lowering their fees because of Not Too Young To Run movement. The PDP, SDP, NNPP, YPP, UPP as well as others did it. Even APC reduced it’s fee for the State Houses of Assembly. So there is a lot actually happening and there is a lot of progress from the side of the youth participation. Therefore, this movement is for all Nigerians and they are saying this is the time to have credible young people in offices to provide excellent public leadership because Nigeria is in serious need of excellent leaders who can provide innovative, transformative, as well as responsive leadership both at the grassroots, state and the national levels.

You have started a follow-up campaign named Ready To Run, which has to do with engaging the political parties on issues of cost for nomination forms for young persons among other demands, how convincing were the responses you received from the parties?

Frankly, the parties have come to appreciate the fact that majority of their voters are young people, today between 60 to 70 percent of registered voters are young people. What that simply means is young people determine elections. So any political party that want to win elections knows that it needs young people’s votes because it is the youth’s vote. However, parties are taking intentional test to ensure that they provide access to young people but that is not even enough because the parties are not doing enough. Some parties like SDP, PDP, YPP, NNPP as well as others infact, UPP even gave free nomination forms to young people. We had town hall meetings with securities and several political parties and all of them made commitments towards ensuring that they actually increase youths participation and youth representation for the forthcoming general elections. But there is also a challenge for the internal party democracy because we are done with the sale of forms and young people had problem with the high cost of forms. We condemned this high cost of forms because it is a threat to a participatory democracy but we are going to be up against party’s primaries because they are going to be the next huddle that young people are going to face.

What is your impression of the quality of political mentorship in the country today?

All the political parties are the same and that is why you can see a lot of defections from one political party to the other. You can see the quality of candidates presented by a political party sometimes are questionable and that is why we are rising against automatic ticket and imposition of candidates because it is really undermining our democracy. Today, we are talking about direct primaries. It is really nice but what is the level of political education on the part of the people who are members of the political parties? When parties select candidate, do they select base on character, competence and capacity or on the aspect of godfatherism or money bags? If you want to talk about delegates system or indirect primaries, we see a situation where delegates are being rewarding with millions of naira or dollars. You will see delegates buying cars and building houses because they are being paid well by some of the contestants and in some states being a delegates involves a lot. So these issues have to be addressed and that is the function of our political culture.

Is the problem of leadership in Nigeria really that of age or capacity? Because we have seen a lot of relative young people make a mess of leadership in this country?

I do not think leadership is about age. I have been making this point over and over again that when you talk about Not Too Young To Run or Ready To Run, it means young people who have character, competence and capacity which is what this country actually needs. We are rising against any form of exclusion because democracy is about inclusion. If you talk about our party’s performance or leadership, it is about capacity. Are there young people who have capacity? Yes, there are and we need them into public offices. And why must we exclude such people to offices and that is what other countries are doing but we are not doing it, we continue to have gerontocrats, elderly people who only care about now. But we the young people who will be in the future need to be together and converse about the future. France has a younger president and things are going well and other nations too are beginning to recognise that for you to make tremendous progress you need young people in power not just young people but young people who have experience, skills, character, competence, and capacity.

The vote-buying phenomenon seems to have become common place in our electoral system with the outcomes of each elections, how can this be tackled robustly?

I think we need to put this on record that vote-buying reflects a political class that has failed. They have failed to provide the statutory responsibility and welfare of the people and we talking about security, poverty, inclusiveness and equality and equity in the distribution of wealth where the rich will not continue to exploit the poor. We are also beginning to see that from increase level of vote-buying shows that the checks and balances within our electoral system today that made it difficult for politicians to win the elections. The increased level of technology in our electoral system as well as the credibility of the INEC is also making it hard. So the politicians have resurfaced with vote buying because stuffing of ballot boxes or snatching of ballot boxes are no longer in our system because the card readers will fish them out. We are just beginning to study the Ekiti State elections title: duly elected or duly purchased so these were some of the findings. INEC has started on a very good note by banning the use of phones, cameras and the use of technological devices in the voting booth. So when a voter goes there to vote he or she do not go there with any device and the administration of the polling unit is very important and the security agency also need to play their role by arresting and prosecuting vote buyers under the electoral law particularly in section 131or so. It is very important that security agencies perform their duty and for voters to also note that if they sell their votes they would have sold their future because it have access to give a better life. So poverty should not be an excuss for you to sell your vote. Federal and state governments also need to perform their functions by showing good governance. They need to fulfill their campaign promises.

From your engagements in the political space do you think there is sufficient awareness for a shift in electorate behaviour ahead of 2019?

As a matter of fact, we are beginning to see it in our participation so far. Today you can see that as a country we have registered over 14 million people which when added to the previous number, unprecedented makes us the highest numbers of registered votes in Africa. Also, churches and mosques are now encouraging their congregations to participate in the electoral process, you can see the PVC collection rates you can see the questions that people are beginning to raise. Yes there is progress and I can advise religious body, civil society organisation, private individuals as well as media organisations to please educate people on the need to vote in credible leaders.

The only people who deserve your vote are the people who have competence, character and capacity, anything short of this is a wast of time.

We have a number of young persons coming out to contest the presidency in 2019, do you think they are really in touch with electorate in the hither lands?

Yes, all young people who are coming out to join the race understand that there are grassroots people. So they include the grassroots people and most of them understand that it’s never going to be business as usual and I can tell you that the young contestants have been doing consultations so they are really doing well.

We have 91 political parties today, how healthy is this for our democratic process?

My concern is that with the large number of political parties, the political process will be more cumbersome and for the electoral management point of view as well. Just imagine you have 91 political parties on a ballot paper and it lead to an increase number of ballot boxes. Honestly, most of the parties are not the real party in the true sense of the word. Many of them do not have offices, they do not have registered membership and I think we have to get to the point where we can be asking ourselves about the kind of political party we want. We have two political parties which is APC and PDP in the true sense of the word. A multi party system is more suitable for a multi country like Nigeria and that can help to strengthen our democracy but again we need to strengthen the parametres. For instance, what are the procedures for registering a political party? Yes our system may be simple for registering a political party but at end of it I think 81 percent may end up not getting a single vote and that simply tells you we have to eliminate these parties because we spend money to print materials and it will also not help on the part of INEC as well.

https://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/10/how-not-too-young-to-run-movement.html

Politics / 2019 Presidency: Ex-gov. Ezeife Speaks On Atiku’s Choice Of Peter Obi by 2Ebisco: 8:18am On Oct 13, 2018
A former Governor of Anambra state, Chukwuemeka Ezeife has described the choice of Peter Obi as Atiku Abubakar’s Vice President as great.

DAILY POST had earlier reported of Atiku opting for the former Governor as his running mate in the 2019 presidential tussle.

Ezeife also told Vanguard that Obi was not wasteful and corrupt in the management of resources while serving as Anambra State Governor.

Ezeife was one of the stakeholders who on Friday lauded the choice of Obi as running mate to the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, Presidential candidate, Atiku in the 2019 general elections.

Atiku chose the businessman cum politician after the two met behind closed doors in the Asokoro, Abuja residence of the former Vice President.

“Peter is a great choice. He brings his business intelligence into governance. He is not corrupt and as a governor, he was not wasteful. I must say that I am very happy,” he said.

Also speaking on the development, the National Vice Chairman (South) of the PDP, Eddy Olafeso told the newspaper that Obi’s success story as a businessman would help in reviving the nation’s economy upon the victory of the PDP.

“As a National Vice Chairman of the party, I hail the decision to pick Peter Obi as running mate to our Presidential candidate.

“The decision to pick him is based on his outstanding performance as governor of Anambra state.

“He is a successful businessman and we expect his experience to translates into good governance for our nation,” he said.

https://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/10/2019-presidency-ex-gov-ezeife-speaks-on.html

Politics / Boko Haram Training Camp Was Bombed by 2Ebisco: 8:15am On Oct 12, 2018
The Nigerian Air Force says its Air Task Force (ATF) of Operation Lafiya Dole has destroyed a Boko Haram Terrorist (BHT) Training Camp in Malkonory, and also destroyed a BHT vehicle near Tumbun Rego in Northern Borno.

Air Commodore Ibikunle Daramola, NAF Director of Public Relations and Information, disclosed this in a statement on Thursday.

”The attack on the Training Camp was undertaken Oct.11, on the heels of credible intelligence reports indicating that several structures, cleverly camouflaged under thick vegetation in the settlement, were being used to harbour and train BHT fighters,” he said.

Daramola said that a NAF Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) platform subsequently confirmed features such as training dummies and trenches along with a large number of adult males within the camp.

“Consequently, the ATF detailed NAF Alpha Jet aircraft to attack the camp in successive strikes resulting in the destruction of many of the structures, which were seen to be engulfed in flames, as well as the neutralisation of several BHTs,” he said.

The NAF spokesman said that the few surviving BHTs were mopped-up in subsequent follow-on attacks.

”Similarly, following Intelligence reports indicating the presence of BHT vehicles on the move around Matari Village along the Metele-Kangarawa-Tumbun Rego axis on Oct.9.

”A NAF ISR platform was detailed to reconnoitre the area and subsequently spotted one of the BHT vehicles, a gun truck, along the road heading towards Tumbun Rego.

”Accordingly, an Alpha Jet aircraft was scrambled to attack the vehicle, with direct hits recorded on the target, leading to the destruction of the gun truck,” Daramola said.

https://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/10/boko-haram-training-camp-was-bombed.html

Politics / Boko Haram: Troops Kill Three Terrorists, Rescue Minors In Dikwa by 2Ebisco: 2:55pm On Oct 11, 2018
Troops of 22 Brigade Garrison in Dikwa local government area of Borno State, supported by vigilantes on deliberate offensive patrol, yesterday infiltrated a Boko Haram terrorists’ camp at Kaltunbere, and killed three terrorists while rescuing two minors.

The Nigerian Army, in a statement on its Twitter handle, said, “During the encounter, 3 Boko Haram terrorists were neutralized while others escaped with gunshot wounds, 2 minors were also rescued.”

The Chief of Army Staff, Lt. General TY Buratai has commended the gallant troops and urged them to continue carrying out raids.

He added that deliberate patrols and attacks to decimate remnants of Boko Haram terrorists in the North East should be embarked upon.

https://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/10/boko-haram-troops-kill-three-terrorists.html

Politics / BREAKING: Nigerian Govt Announces Proposed New Minimum Wage by 2Ebisco: 3:13pm On Oct 10, 2018
The Federal Government of Nigeria has said that after consultations, it has proposed N24,000 as the new minimum wage for civil servants.

The Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, stated this Wednesday, while briefing State House correspondents after the meeting of the Federal Executive Council (FEC).

Ngige was responding to media reports quoting the president of the Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), Ayuba Wabba, saying that the tri-partite committee discussing the demand for new minimum wage, has agreed to increase it from the current N19,200 to N30,000.

“Such information is not true,” Ngige said.

The Minister said when the committee reconvened on October 5, after the NLC had called off its nationwide strike, “the organised labour came down to N30,000, the organised private sector came down to N25,000.”

He also said the federal government had to consult with the 36 state governors.

After the consultations, he said, the federal government proposed N24,000 while governors proposed N20,000.

Ngige said the government is therefore still consulting and negotiation is ongoing.

https://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/10/breaking-nigerian-govt-announces.html

Politics / Nigerian Workers May Get N30,000 As New Minimum Wage by 2Ebisco: 6:27pm On Oct 09, 2018
The new minimum wage for workers in the country may have been fixed for N30,000 as the committee finalised its negotiation last Friday.

This was even as the committee is set to present the report which has N30,000 recommendation to President Muhammadu Buhari any moment from now.

Though the Organised Labour is yet to issue any statement on the outcome of the two-day meeting, a reliable source, however, said the committee has finalised its work.

Recall that members of the Organised Labour had embarked on a seven-day warning strike penultimate week after the expiration of 14-day ultimatum, and the strike was suspended after assurance from the government that the committee would return to the negotiation table last Thursday and Friday.

The source said the committee arrived at N30,000 after so much arguments and face-off between the representatives of the Organised Labour and government.

According to the source, the government had come up with N24,000, which the workers’ representatives bluntly rejected.

“This may be because they want to be in agreement with the Organised Private Sector who had proposed N25,000, but Labour refused and told them that it was unacceptable” he said.

He, however, said that Labour, which had earlier proposed N66,500 during last week’s meeting, later scaled down to N38,000 and stuntly said that would be the least it could accept for the Nigerian workers.

The source explained further that it was the Organised Private Sector that now played the role of an arbiter by adjusting the figure to N30,000.

He noted that though the Presidency only inaugurated the committee to recommend what it feels should be appropriate new minimum wage, he stressed that labour would not accept anything below the N30,000 submitted by the committee.

https://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/10/nigerian-workers-may-get-n30000-as-new.html

Politics / Protesters Besiege APC National Secretariat Over Automatic Tickets by 2Ebisco: 10:12am On Oct 09, 2018
Hundreds of protesters have blocked the gate of the All Progressives Congress (APC) national secretariat, Abuja.

The protesters came at about 5pm on Monday and took over all the entry and exit points at the APC Secretariat singing anti-Oshiomhole songs.

The protesters said they were against the granting of automatic tickets to some aspirants by the party leadership.

Most of the staff and national officers of the party including the National Chairman, Adams Oshiomhole, were still held hostage at the secretariat at the time of filing this report.

http://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/10/protesters-besiege-apc-national.html

Politics / Navy Shuts Illegal Maritime Academy by 2Ebisco: 5:52pm On Oct 08, 2018
The Nigerian Navy Ship Jubilee, Ikot Abasi, has shut an illegal maritime institution, Merchant Seaman Academy, at Uwa West in Essien Udim Local Government of Akwa Ibom State.

The proprietor, Mr. Adams Pius and three of the instructors were arrested and handed over to the Ikot Ekpene Division of the Nigeria Police.

The operation, led by the Executive Officer, Naval Ship, NNS Jubilee, Captain Suleiman Ibrahim, resulted in the evacuation of students by a team of Police and Navy for repatriation to their states.

The Nation learnt that the institution was sealed off in 2013, but surreptitiously resumed operation in 2016, until it was shut last Friday.

The proprietor, according to findings by the Navy, connived with suspected syndicates at the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB).

The suspected syndicates allegedly sent text messages to the unsuspecting admission seekers, saying they had been admitted into the illegal maritime academy.

According to Captain Ibrahim, Navy received intelligence information that the institution had begun operation, following which the school was raided and shut down .

“In 2013, the then President Dr. Goodluck Jonathan outlawed the institution, which claimed it was training merchant sailors, because it does not have the capacity to embark on this kind of training. So, it was shut. When we got intelligence information about the existence of this place sometime ago, we raided the place and the institution was temporarily closed.

“This year, we received intelligence information that the same school has resumed training young Nigerians in maritime studies despite that there is no authority for them to do so. That led to our raiding the place and shutting it down again.”

http://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/10/navy-shuts-illegal-maritime-academy.html

Politics / Oil Communities Cry: We Have Been Left In Poverty! by 2Ebisco: 6:06pm On Oct 07, 2018
NIgerian youth leaders are drawing the attention of the international community and the Federal Government to the alleged neglect of oil communities in Akuku-Toru Local Government Area of Rivers State by international oil companies (IOCs) operating there, especially Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC).

The youth leaders were shocked by what they saw on Friday at Kula, one of the communities during a visit to the area. Consequently, they promised to support the community in the fight to secure justice against the alleged neglect by the IOCs by petitioning the international community and the Federal Government.

The team, led by Ambassador Sukubo Sara-Igbe Sukubo, President of the National Youth Council of Nigeria (NYCN), also had the Presidents of Ijaw Youth Council, Arewa Youth Forum, Egbe Igbimo Odo Yoruba (Afenifere), Greener Nigeria Movement among other youth leaders from across the federation.

The team was told by the natives that the communities in Kula Kingdom had, for the past two years, engaged in an agitation to get Shell to divest from OML 25 it operates in the area and vacate for lack of social amenities.

The delegation visited Kile Ama 1, Offoinama, Belema and Kula Town, expressing grave concern over the lack of development in the area. The communities had, in August 2017, shut down the operations of SPDC on OML 25 over alleged neglect by the oil giant.

On his part, the President of Greener Nigeria Movement, Comrade AbdulRahman Agboola, expressed concern over the neglect in the area, adding that the host community should eject Shell.

Agboola said: “What I have seen does not befit the people who contribute heavily to the nation’s economy. “Our call to the government is that the people of Kula should be given the right of first refusal on OML 25 because they do not need Shell again in their environment.”

Meanwhile, the Secretary of Offoinama Council of Chiefs, Chief Fiala Tubolabo Fiala, who thanked the team for the intervention, noted that Kula people were living in abject poverty because of the alleged activities of SPDC.

“We are in abject poverty. That is how the IOCs left us. Everything we have is by our own efforts. We are happy for your intervention and we will support you to ensure that we have justice”, Fiala said.

“We have no land to build. We know that we will succeed in this fight. We know that you will take up this matter so that Shell will know that we have youths in Nigeria.”

Meanwhile, Shell has described the allegations by the women and leaders of Kula as false, but stated the need for dialogue. This was contained in a statement by the Media Relations Manager, Bamidele Odugbesan, on behalf of SPDC’s External Relations General Manager, Igo Weli.

http://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/10/oil-communities-cry-we-have-been-left.html

Politics / APC Kaduna Central Senatorial Primaries: Gov. El-rufai’s Aide Defeats Shehu Sani by 2Ebisco: 4:52am On Oct 07, 2018
Mr Uba Sani, the Special Adviser to Governor Nasir El-Rufai on Political and Intergovernmental Affairs, has picked the All Progressives Congress (APC) ticket for Kaduna Central Senatorial District.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Sani polled 2,088 votes to defeat incumbent Sen. Shehu Sani, who got 15 votes, and three other aspirants.

Prof. Eddie Floyd-Igbo, the APC Coordinator for the Kaduna Central Senatorial Zone, declared the results of the primaries held at Umaru Musa Yar’Adua Sports Multipurpose Hall, Kaduna, on Saturday.

But the APC National Working Committee (NWC) had earlier cleared Sen. Shehu Sani as the sole candidate in the race, which was resisted by the other aspirants and party loyalists in the state.

Meanwhile, Sani who is Chairman, Senate Committee on Domestic and Foreign Debts, had earlier announced his withdrawal from the primaries. In a statement issued by his Media Aide, Mr Abdulsamad Amadi, Sani said the exercise was illegal.

“The Office of Senator Shehu Sani has not, and will not send anybody as their representative or agent to that illegality that some desperate people are organising. “This is because the national leadership of the APC has not scheduled any senatorial primaries in Kaduna Central today.

“Consequently, anybody that goes there does so at his or her own freewill and does not in any way represent the interest of Sen. Shehu Sani. “The Senator and his team are law abiding citizens and loyal party members who will always obey the directives of the National leadership of our great party,” the statement said.

Meanwhile, Floyd-Igbo announced that one of the aspirants Usman Ibrahim got 129 votes in the primaries. He also said Sen. Sani Saleh, who served Kaduna Central people in the Senate from 2011 to 2015 got 55 votes. Another contestant, Mr Shamsudeen Shehu, got six votes, while 45 votes were declared invalid.

He said 2,383 voters were accredited from seven local government areas of the zone for the primary election. Meanwhile, INEC has reminded all participants that it would only accept candidates forwarded to it by the national secretariats of the political parties.

The electoral body also gave the parties up till Oct. 7 to submit their candidates for the 2019 general elections. (NAN)

http://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/10/apc-kaduna-central-senatorial-primaries.html

Politics / Nineteen Emirs To Sign Action Plan On Out-of-school Children by 2Ebisco: 12:44pm On Oct 06, 2018
Over 19 Emirs from the two critical zones in northern Nigeria-North West and North East regions, being affected by the issue of Out-of-School children are set to sign the ‘Commitment for action’ on 10th-11th October, 2018 in Kaduna to take further and faster action to address the issue of children not in school.

The Emir of Argugu, Kebbi State, Samaila Mera, who addressed Journalists, yesterday in Abuja, during a pre-conference briefing on the event said with about 10.5 million Nigerian children not in school, the meeting becomes necessary.

He said the meeting, which is being organised, by UNICEF, Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC) and the Sultan Foundation For Peace and Development, is seeking the support of traditional rulers in northern Nigeria to end the issue of children roaming the streets.

According to him, “Each of the participating Emirs will sign a commitment for Action, signifying his commitment to ensuring that all children out of school within his emirate council are reached and enrolled in school.”

The UBEC representative, Bello Kagara, who is the director of Social Mobilisation at the commission, said involving traditional rulers who are the custodians of tradition would play a big role in changing the negative issues.

On his part, the UNICEF Chief in Nigeria, Terry Durnian, said the conference is looking at the issues and what can be done to make change, adding that UNICEF would continue to look after the welfare of children as its core mandate.

http://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/10/nineteen-emirs-to-sign-action-plan-on.html

Politics / Why I Visited Buhari — Uduaghan by 2Ebisco: 7:10am On Oct 06, 2018
Former governor of Delta State, Emmanuel Uduaghan, said he was in the Presidential Villa to consult with the president on some issues concerning the All Progressives Congress in Delta state.

“There have been efforts by the APC-led government in engaging the people of the Niger Delta, the leaders, youths and various stakeholders on the necessity for peace in the Niger Delta and that engagement process has really paid off.

“Also in the area of infrastructure, particularly in Delta State, we have the Escravos bar which is an entry to the Warri river that has already been dredged by the APC-led Federal Government.

“We have the Minister of transport who came with a train for the very first time to Aladja. The Itakpe-Aladja railway line is being completed and has been tested.

“The Maritime University has been opened; roads have been constructed, especially by NDDC, so there is appreciable performance by the APC- led Federal Government as far as Delta State is concerned.

“So, I just came to appreciate him in that regard and to let him know as APC members we shall campaign aggressively for APC to win all elections in Delta State,” he said.

The former governor said he also appealed to Buhari to intervene in the Osubi Airport issue.

He said that the Airport, which was close to Warri, had been closed for more than one month because of crisis between the Nigerian Airspace Management Agency (NAMA) and a private firm.

According to him, there is need to quickly re-open the airport while discussions are going on whatever the issues are. (NAN)

http://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/10/why-i-visited-buhari-uduaghan.html

Politics / Shehu Sani’s Fate Lies With APC Delegates: El-rufai by 2Ebisco: 6:53am On Oct 06, 2018
Gov. Nasir El-Rufai of Kaduna State has said that the fate of Sen. Shehu Sani, (APC-Kaduna Central) lies in hands of the party delegates in the state and not in his hand as the governor.

El Rufai, who spoke with State House correspondents shortly after a closed door meeting with President Muhammadu Buhari on Friday in the Presidential Villa, said that the president was a democrat, who would not support imposition.

A Kaduna State High Court had on Wednesday restrained the All Progressives Congress (APC) from conducting the primary to select the party’s candidate for the Kaduna Central Senatorial District.

The court ruled on an ex-parte motion brought by Uba Sani, a senatorial aspirant, against the APC for excluding him from the contest scheduled for Tuesday but later moved to Wednesday.

Uba Sani went to court following the release of the names of Senatorial aspirants in Kaduna on Tuesday by the APC, which indicated that the incumbent Senator, Shehu Sani, was returned unopposed for the Kaduna Central contest.

The court ordered the APC, its chairman Adams Oshiomhole, the Independent National Electoral Commission and Senator Shehu Sani to maintain the status-quo prior to Oct. 2, when the APC excluded Uba Sani and other aspirants from the contest.

“The president restated his position that he is a democrat; a product of elections and he has never encouraged non-election.

“He has never supported imposition and he has never asked anyone to grant anybody automatic tickets; the position was restated yesterday to the progressive governors forum and he told me this and said he will take necessary steps to communicate this very clearly to the party leadership.

“It is not me; I only have one vote as the governor of the state; it is up to the delegates in the Kaduna State APC to vote for Shehu Sani or vote for other candidates but what democracy said is that every person should be given a chance to contest.

“Shehu Sani has done things against the interest of the people of Kaduna state and it is time for him to explain why he did what he did and ask the delegates to vote for him but to avoid facing the consequences of your actions by getting what is called automatic ticket is a recipe to losing the election to other parties,’’ he warned.

El Rufai expressed optimism that the party would meet the INEC deadline for conduct of primaries provided that it came up with a list that did not reasonably exclude the contestants.( NAN)

http://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/10/shehu-sanis-fate-lies-with-apc.html

1 Share

Politics / Biafra Group Cries Out, Says Miyetti Allah, Boko Haram Controlling Govt, Militar by 2Ebisco: 12:32pm On Oct 05, 2018
Biafra Nations Youth League, BNYL on Friday alleged that Miyetti Allah and Boko Haram members control all arms of government and the military.

BNYL made the allegation while insisting that Miyetti Allah was plotting to “impose their loyalists” on the people of the South East.

The body was faulting the call by the Indigenous People of Biafra, IPOB, that election should be boycotted in the South East, come 2019.

A statement signed and sent to DAILY POST by BNYL leader, Princewill Chimezie Richard said the “leadership of the movement met in Calabar on the 28 September where they insisted that the people of the South-South and South East will participate in the general election.”

Richard warned people of the South East and South South of the consequences of the election and the boycott of consensus in the region.

He said, “It is wrong to tell our people to boycott election, census and every political activity in the South East and South South.

“Those preaching boycott are they ready to occupy the Government Houses and political offices in the East because I don’t see any sense after boycotting a Fulani loyalist will take over all political structures and use that to intimidate our people.

“Let’s not embark on actions that will expose to public ridicule. Biafra itself is part of Political activities because it involves political emancipation”.

On IPOB’s proposed referendum for November, BNYL said, “They should know that referendum does not work without being politically and economically in control of your land.

“How many Biafra loyalists are in authority, but you have the Miyetti Allah and Boko Haram in Government offices and they are in control of the Military, this struggle is far beyond agitations.

“Miyetti Allah are warming up to impose their loyalists on us in our region, and our boycott will only pave way for that, and when that happens we should expect more Python Dance.

“We can push those who are hindrances to our cause aside and bring fresh blood in using every means, we cannot boycott the political class in this struggle”.

He also said that even if the Igbos decide to boycott the election, the South-South are yet to be convinced as to what benefit will it add to the movement.

“Not all the Igbos have been convinced of what effect will the action cause, let alone the rest tribes in the South-South,” he added.

http://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/10/biafra-group-cries-out-says-miyetti.html

Politics / Why National Assembly Should Immediately Impeach Buhari – HURIWA by 2Ebisco: 5:07pm On Oct 04, 2018
Human Rights Writers Association of Nigeria (HURIWA), has called on the National Assembly to begin the impeachment process against President Muhammadu Buhari over his administration’s inability to stop incessant herdsmen killings.

A statement on Thursday by its National Coordinator, Emmanuel Onwubiko and the National Media Affairs Director, Zainab Yusuf, made the demand in reaction to latest killings in Plateau State.

HURIWA accused the presidency of allowing over 6,000 innocent people to be killed by armed herdsmen and that it had refused to declare the killer gangs terrorists.

The organisation said the recurring attacks on Christian farming communities in the North Central State of Plateau including the invasion of the University of Jos, Bauchi Road Hostel by military uniforms’ wearing herdsmen, shows that the various acts of coordinated attacks may have been planned over time.

The Rights group stated that the serial killings of unarmed civilians while Plateau State governor, Simon Lalong saunters in and out of the Presidency in Abuja without displaying courageous leadership by raising objections to the willful failures of the Federal government, was enough reason for his impeachment as well.

HURIWA accused the Buhari government of shielding the Miyetti Allah Cattle Breeders Association “even when there are evidences beyond the shadows of empirical doubts to link this group to the activities of the armed killer gangs affiliated to armed Fulani herdsmen”.

HURIWA said: “The activities of the killer gangsters from the armed Fulani herdsmen supported by Miyetti Allah cattle owners Association and backed by the Presidency have become the greatest threat to the survival of constitutional democracy and the President has persistently breached the clear provisions of the grund norm which confers legitimacy to the position and title of President and commander-in-chief of armed forces of Nigeria which he holds in trust for the people of Nigeria.

“It goes without any contradiction that Muhammadu Buhari has lost all the constitutional legitimacy of the Presidency of Nigeria and is occupying that position extra-legally. He should be impeached.

“You can’t exercise constitutional legitimacy when your administration watches conspiratorially as the kinsmen of the holder of the current office of President watches and does nothing whereas thousands of Nigerians are despatched to the early graves and these killers are roaming freely and even addressing media conferences and appearing on prime time television news interviews.

“Buhari as far as the constitution is concerned has lost his legitimacy and is therefore not exercising his powers legitimately. The National Assembly must re-convene now and kickstart his removal from office or else the Country may snowball into a civil conflagration”.

HURIWA also urged the authority of the Nigerian military to stop the ongoing verbal exchanges against perceived elders of Plateau State and embark on surgical operations to degrade, decimate and destroy the armed Fulani killer gangs creating spectacular unrests in Plateau State and prosecute the sponsors such as the Miyetti Allah cattle owners Association.

It further called on the security forces to secure the lives of students and civilians just as it condemned the violence unleashed on the University of Jos by armed Fulani herdsmen.

http://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/10/why-national-assembly-should.html

Politics / Compensate Those You Demolished Their Houses, Shops Before You Leave Office – Ma by 2Ebisco: 12:07pm On Oct 04, 2018
The gubernatorial candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), in Oyo state, Engineer Seyi Makinde has enjoined Governor Abiola Ajimobi of the state to compensate those whose houses and shops were demolished in the last two years before he leaves office in May next year.

Makinde in a statement issued by Prince Dotun Oyelade, his media aide, a copy which was made available to DAILY POST on Wednesday, said, “I implored Ajimobi to compensate fully those whose houses and shops were demolished two years ago before he leaves office”.

The PDP chieftain while describing a statement credited to Mr. Bayo Adelabu, an APC gubernatorial candidate that Ajimobi has performed credibly well as untrue, however declared that Ajimobi in the last seven years has destroyed means of livelihood of poor people in the state.

He described the situation where people’s properties are being destroyed without due compensation as a crime against humanity.

Makinde said that, “Contrary to the statement credited to the APC gubernatorial candidate, Chief Bayo Adelabu at different fora that the governor has performed well and without blemish in the past seven and a half years, destroying the means of livelihood of poor people without adequate compensation or no compensation at all is crime against humanity.

“Anyone who promises to continue with Ajimobi’s legacy as Chief Bayo Adelabu has said many times is telling us the following: that LAUTECH will remain in permanent state of crisis and virtual extinction.

“That Oke Ogun roads will remain in permanent state of disrepair and the area will never fulfil it’s potentials as the food basket of the state. That the unsurpassed debt profile put at N157bn will continue to rise.

“That Pensioners will continue to languish in hunger and deprivation in contrast to the opulence of the few government officials and their contractors”.

Makinde concluded by saying that, “Recent events have shown that it is better for a governor to win an election through the trust of the masses than through the machinations of so called godfathers who have no feelings for the downtrodden”.

http://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/10/compensate-those-you-demolished-their.html

Politics / 2019: Dogara Emerges PDP Candidate In Bogoro/dass/tafawa-balewa Constituency by 2Ebisco: 9:15pm On Oct 03, 2018
The Speaker of the House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogara, has been elected by all the 325 delegates from the Bogoro/Dass/Tafawa-Balewa Federal Constituency in Bauchi State as the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for the 2019 general elections.

All the delegates unanimously affirmed the Speaker as the sole candidate of the party during the party’s primaries held in Zwall town of Tafawa Balewa Local Government of the state on Wednesday.

The Returning Officer of the party, Mrs Esther Ahmed-Kadala, who conducted the exercise, put a question to the respective delegates from the three local governments that make up the federal constituency and they unanimously answered in the affirmative.

Mrs. Ahmed-Kadala, therefore, declared Yakubu Dogara as the winner of the primaries having been affirmed by all the delegates through voice affirmation.

She said that the constitution of the party provided that where there is a sole aspirant for any position, the delegates must affirm it through voice, hence the visit by the officials assigned to conduct the primaries to do so.

She then commended the delegates for their orderly conduct during the primaries just as she also congratulated the Speaker for earning the confidence of his constituents and wished him success in the 2019 general elections.

Representative of the Speaker, Alhaji Mohammed Sadiq, expressed appreciation to the constituents for reposing confidence on him and said the Speaker would rededicate himself to the service of the country.

Mohammed Sadiq noted that since he was elected to represent the constituency in 2007, the Speaker has ensured a wholistic development of the entire areas through the provision of developmental infrastructure.

Of the delegates from the federal constituency, 115 were from Tafawa Balewa local government area while Bogoro and Dass local government areas had 105 each.

http://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/10/2019-dogara-emerges-pdp-candidate-in.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Politics / PDP Senatorial Primaries: Theodore Orji Emerges Abia Central Candidate by 2Ebisco: 10:20pm On Oct 02, 2018
Theodore Orji, the current Senator representing Abia central zone in the National Assembly has emerged the winner of the Peoples Democratic Party Senatorial primary election held in the state on Tuesday.

Announcing the results shortly after collation at the Umuahia Township Stadium, the Returning Officer, Prince Ananaba said Orji emerged with all the 489 available delegates’ votes cast.

Speaking after he was declared winner, Senator Orji thanked the delegates for finding him worthy to return for second term.

He said, “Today, I emerged, supported by all the delegates to run as candidate for Abia central senatorial district.

“I’m grateful for the confidence reposed in me by my constituents once again. I will continue to work hard to justify this confidence”.

http://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/10/pdp-senatorial-primaries-theodore-orji.html

Politics / Ambode Vs Sanwo-olu: Lagos APC Splits Over Primary Format by 2Ebisco: 8:48am On Oct 02, 2018
The Electoral Committee of the All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship primary and stakeholders in the state chapter, on Monday came out of a meeting without agreeing on the pattern to adopt for the election on Tuesday.

Speaker of the state House of Assembly, Mr Mudashiru Obasa made the disclosure to newsmen on Monday, after a meeting between the committee and state party stakeholders.

The incumbent governor, Mr Akinwunmi Ambode will slug it out at the primary with Mr Jide Sanwo-Olu, a former commissioner in the state.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the Chairman of the electoral committee, Mr Clement Ebri, led his team to the meeting which was also attended by the Leader of the House of Representatives, Mr Femi Gbajabiamila, the state party chairman, Alhaji Tunde Balogun and other party officials.

Obasa said that the disagreement stemmed from the insistence that the committee wanted the use of ballot papers for the primary as against the choice of open direct primary by the state stakeholders.

He said stakeholders in the state rejected the use of ballot papers as it was not be possible to train members on its use before the election.

Obasa said since the open direct primary system, where members queue behind their preferred aspirants was successfully used in the presidential primary in the state, it would also be suitable for the governorship primary.

“The meeting was held between members of the state House of Assembly and other stakeholders with the committee, and we were briefed about the coming primaries in the state.

“They told us that the directive from Abuja was that they should use ballot papers for the election.

“But we as stakeholders have rejected the idea because we have earlier informed our members on this.

“So, our consideration at the meeting was that if they aim to adopt the use of ballot papers, there is no time to train officials and party members on the new strategy the primary would follow.

“We told them that here in Lagos , we stand for open direct primary.

“We also told them that the presidential primary in the state was conducted in the same format.

“They then told us the outcome of the meeting will be sent to Abuja and response would be conveyed to us.

“I am not sure what the outcome will be, but I believe they will yield to our stand,” he said.

Ebri, in his brief remarks, assured that the primary would hold as scheduled.

He said the committee interacted with stakeholders on the ways to ensure the process was credible.

“We discussed the basic principles of the guidelines for the primary.

“The primary will hold tomorrow. For you to participate in the primary, you have to be a member of the party, and you have to have your membership card, and your name must be on the register.

“If you don’t have a membership card and you have a slip, and your name is on the register, you will vote ” he said.

Lagos Chairman of APC, Alhaji Tunde Balogun, who also spoke with newsmen late Monday, said the party had concluded all arrangements to ensure successful conduct.

Balogun said the format would be option A4, where voters queue behind the photographs of their preferred aspirants.

He disclosed that members with the party ID card will be allowed to vote.

http://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/10/ambode-vs-sanwo-olu-lagos-apc-splits.html

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (of 20 pages)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 218
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.