Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,974 members, 7,814,311 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:53 AM

Do Catholics Worship Statues? | Catholic Answers - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do Catholics Worship Statues? | Catholic Answers (8830 Views)

Pentecostals Bash Catholics Yet They Celebrate Valentine The Most / Why Do Catholics Say This / Do Catholics Really Worship Mary? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do Catholics Worship Statues? | Catholic Answers by dolphinheart(m): 10:22am On Mar 25, 2016
Ubenedictus:
john 3:14

I would have preffered if jusmudi provided the scriptures himself, cus what he said and the scripture you provided do not correspond.
Re: Do Catholics Worship Statues? | Catholic Answers by Nairaland111(m): 10:42am On Mar 25, 2016
what is family ? Do u know we ar xam family because we are serving xam God? Do u know we ar family because we ar in xam blog? So do u know we ar family because we ar 4rn xam tribe or state or country D relationship I ll agree is dt dey maybe jews which d gentiles ll nt agree to attend because of discrimination, so wat relationship ar u talkin abt?? my Bros 4get dis argument because I Dn't c ur stand
dolphinheart:

It was the person I replied that used the words " mere invitees" .
Inviting someone to a wedding does not make someone special. The person is already special, that's why he or she is invited.

Buy mary's invitation is different, she is probably family to the couple for her to have such influence.
Someone who you invited to your wedding, who is not part of the organizing committee cannot be giving your ushers command na. Unless that person has the authority due to his or her closeness to the couple . Likewise you can't go a wedding you are invited to and tell the ushers to go and fetch water. But you can do so if you are related or very close to those doing the wedding.

On the issue of the organizers asking mary to ask jesus. This I dnt believe, mary would probably have noticed herself and gone to meet jesus. If the organizers have asked mary, the head would have been aware and would not have made the statement he made when he tasted the wine later.
Re: Do Catholics Worship Statues? | Catholic Answers by swizmony(m): 10:56am On Mar 25, 2016
Jusmudi:
"Catholics worship statues!" People still make this ridiculous claim. Because Catholics have statues in their churches, goes the accusation, they are violating God’s commandment: "You shall not make for yourself a graven image or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: you shall not bow down to them or serve them" (Ex. 20:4–5); "Alas, this people have sinned a great sin; they have made for themselves gods of gold" (Ex. 32:31).
It is right to warn people against the sin of idolatry when they are committing it. But calling Catholics idolaters because they have images of Christ and the saints is based on misunderstanding or ignorance of what the Bible says about the purpose and uses (both good and bad) of statues.
Anti-Catholic writer Loraine Boettner, in his book Roman Catholicism, makes the blanket statement, "God has forbidden the use of images in worship" (281). Yet if people were to "search the scriptures" (cf. John 5:39), they would find the opposite is true. God forbade the worship of statues, but he did not forbid the religious use of statues. Instead, he actually commanded their use in religious contexts!
God Said To Make Them
People who oppose religious statuary forget about the many passages where the Lord commands the making of statues. For example: "And you shall make two cherubim of gold [i.e., two gold statues of angels]; of hammered work shall you make them, on the two ends of the mercy seat. Make one cherub on the one end, and one cherub on the other end; of one piece of the mercy seat shall you make the cherubim on its two ends. The cherubim shall spread out their wings above, overshadowing the mercy seat with their wings, their faces one to another; toward the mercy seat shall the faces of the cherubim be" (Ex. 25:18–20).
David gave Solomon the plan "for the altar of incense made of refined gold, and its weight; also his plan for the golden chariot of the cherubim that spread their wings and covered the ark of the covenant of the Lord. All this he made clear by the writing of the hand of the Lord concerning it all, all the work to be done according to the plan" (1 Chr. 28:18–19). David’s plan for the temple, which the biblical author tells us was "by the writing of the hand of the Lord concerning it all," included statues of angels.
Similarly Ezekiel 41:17–18 describes graven (carved) images in the idealized temple he was shown in a vision, for he writes, "On the walls round about in the inner room and [on] the nave were carved likenesses of cherubim."
The Religious Uses of Images
During a plague of serpents sent to punish the Israelites during the exodus, God told Moses to "make [a statue of] a fiery serpent, and set it on a it on a pole; and if a serpent bit any man, he would look at the bronze serpent and live" (Num. 21:8–9).
One had to look at the bronze statue of the serpent to be healed, which shows that statues could be used ritually, not merely as religious decorations.
Catholics use statues, paintings, and other artistic devices to recall the person or thing depicted. Just as it helps to remember one’s mother by looking at her photograph, so it helps to recall the example of the saints by looking at pictures of them. Catholics also use statues as teaching tools. In the early Church they were especially useful for the instruction of the illiterate. Many Protestants have pictures of Jesus and other Bible pictures in Sunday school for teaching children. Catholics also use statues to commemorate certain people and events, much as Protestant churches have three-dimensional nativity scenes at Christmas.
If one measured Protestants by the same rule, then by using these "graven" images, they would be practicing the "idolatry" of which they accuse Catholics. But there’s no idolatry going on in these situations. God forbids the worship of images as as gods, but he doesn’t ban the making of images. If he had, religious movies, videos, photographs, paintings, and all similar things would be banned. But, as the case of the bronze serpent shows, God does not even forbid the ritual use of religious images.
It is when people begin to adore a statue as a god that the Lord becomes angry. Thus when people did start to worship the bronze serpent as a snake-god (whom they named "Nehushtan"wink, the righteous king Hezekiah had it destroyed (2 Kgs. 18:4). What About Bowing?
Sometimes anti-Catholics cite Deuteronomy 5:9, where God said concerning idols, "You shall not bow down to them." Since many Catholics sometimes bow or kneel in front of statues of Jesus and the saints, anti-Catholics confuse the legitimate veneration of a sacred image with the sin of idolatry.
Though bowing can be used as a posture in worship, not all bowing is worship. In Japan, people show respect by bowing in greeting (the equivalent of the Western handshake). Similarly, a person can kneel before a king without worshipping him as a god. In the same way, a Catholic who may kneel in front of a statue while praying isn’t worshipping the statue or even praying to it, any more than the Protestant who kneels with a Bible in his hands when praying is worshipping the Bible or praying to it.
http://www.catholic.com/tracts/do-catholics-worship-statues
lalasticlala, OAM4J,, dominique, Mynd44 abeg push am go front small
God bless you for this
Re: Do Catholics Worship Statues? | Catholic Answers by dolphinheart(m): 12:57pm On Mar 25, 2016
Ubenedictus:
hahaha

dolphinheart says "they did not venerate the ark"

the bible says "joshua...prostrated himself before the ark"

who is lying, you accuse catholics of bowing before image yet the bible says Joshua too prostated befor an image.

Have a good day trying to explain how u are contradicting scriptures.

just qoute those verses and we will examine.
Re: Do Catholics Worship Statues? | Catholic Answers by dolphinheart(m): 1:00pm On Mar 25, 2016
Nairaland111:
what is family ? Do u know we ar xam family because we are serving xam God? Do u know we ar family because we ar in xam blog? So do u know we ar family because we ar 4rn xam tribe or state or country D relationship I ll agree is dt dey maybe jews which d gentiles ll nt agree to attend because of discrimination, so wat relationship ar u talkin abt?? my Bros 4get dis argument because I Dn't c ur stand

pls go to a fellow nairalander's wedding , or even go to your church member's wedding and start giving commands, na their you go know say una no be family.
Re: Do Catholics Worship Statues? | Catholic Answers by analice107: 5:02pm On Mar 25, 2016
dolphinheart:

The disscussion about the wedding is not a doctrine, we are just sharing personal opinions
OK.
Re: Do Catholics Worship Statues? | Catholic Answers by BLINGZ88: 9:25pm On Mar 25, 2016
analice107:

And when she interceded, do you remember what she said to the people "WHAT EVERY HE TELLS YOU DO". Pls show where Jesus commanded you people to do all you do in Catholicism? If you are such addent follower of Mary, then you shd do all Jesus commanded. Worship God in spirit and in truth. No specific location, no particular time, no particular position, not using any totem.
the bible has so many translation but the main thing is knowing that Christ came to d world to die 4 out sins and
they are so many places where totem were used in the bible.
Re: Do Catholics Worship Statues? | Catholic Answers by BLINGZ88: 9:34pm On Mar 25, 2016
Peritus:

First, the wedding organizers did not ask her to intercede, instead she spoke to the son on her own and asked the stewards to do whatever the son says. This is because, she knew that only her son has the power to pass instructions. This is inline with what God said during transfiguration, "this is my beloved son with whom I am well pleased. LISTEN TO HIM". Christ has already passed the instructions on how to worship God in spirit and truth. All we have to do is "listen to him" without adding our own.
See, I love Mary so much, but I can't misplace her position. Until we understand that Christ lives in us and listens to our heart beats, we may not get to know how ready he is to listen to us.
my dear, all I want to say to u is that Catholics don't worship marry because all we say to Mary is pray 4 us, the same thing u ask ur mortal pastors to do 4 u
Re: Do Catholics Worship Statues? | Catholic Answers by Ubenedictus(m): 9:45pm On Mar 25, 2016
dolphinheart:

I would have preffered if jusmudi provided the scriptures himself, cus what he said and the scripture you provided do not correspond.
you can xplain how they dont correspond.
Re: Do Catholics Worship Statues? | Catholic Answers by Ubenedictus(m): 10:03pm On Mar 25, 2016
dolphinheart:

No Bro, "do not make for yourself" means "do not make for yourself" . its like saying " let me determine, how when and what images you should make, and who should make it, dnt make this decision by yourself". All the images made for religious purpose then followed this discription. No image was made without command!, so in essence " do not make for yourself any image without my command!
you are trying to lie with th bible.
The words are "do not make for yourself" not "do not make for urself witout my command" that is how people add things to the bible, "do not make for urself" is clear enough unles u have problem with comprehesion, it simply means do not make any image FOR yourself, ie do not make any image for ur own use, it is a blanket rule and there is nothing about "without my command there" the passage doesnt say that whether u read it in greek or hebrew or english.
As explained earlier,
1. no image was made without jehovahs directive.
2. No image was made by anyone but the person jehovah directed to make it.

Images used for religous purposes today do not follow the examples and instructions layed down before now.

1 ki 6:32 The two doors also were of olive tree; and he carved upon them carvings of cherubims and
palm trees and open flowers,
and overlaid them with gold, and spread gold upon the cherubims, and upon the palm trees.

Ube, this is detailed enough!
u said every image had detailed command for it given by God, please show me where God gave the directive for the above image! The passage above tell us that they were made, now show me d scripture that says God gave a detail directive for them. For ur info d above images werent hidden.

As to the great winged creature, you would not have known that the creatures wings are great, or the materials used to make them if details where not given. Read 1 kings chapter 6.
where is d directive given for that particular image? U claim all images were from divine directive, where did God command that the above image be made.

Pls quote the verses for us to see!
have u lost ur bible?
Re: Do Catholics Worship Statues? | Catholic Answers by Ubenedictus(m): 11:04pm On Mar 25, 2016
analice107:

My brother, you are the church. The hunch Christ talked about is not a building.
true but not exactly. I AM PART OF THE CHURCH, A MEMBER OF THE CHURCH. The church is the body of Christ and i am a part in that body Jesus is the head, he found the church and did so on the apostles, that is the church i am in. Not the one made by men.
Re: Do Catholics Worship Statues? | Catholic Answers by analice107: 11:11pm On Mar 25, 2016
Ubenedictus:
true but not exactly. I AM PART OF THE CHURCH, A MEMBER OF THE CHURCH. The church is the body of Christ and i am a part in that body Jesus is the head, he found the church and did so on the apostles, that is the church i am in. Not the one made by men.
You still misunderstand. The house we all gather in, or the huge crowed we constitute, is not the church. You and I individually, are the church.
You become a church of Jesus christ, (His Temple) the day you have a revelation of who he truely is. That's why it takes just two or three of us to cause an earth quake.
Re: Do Catholics Worship Statues? | Catholic Answers by Jusmudi(m): 11:20pm On Mar 25, 2016
[quote author=swizmony post=44092124]
God bless you for this[/quote
Tanks a lot
Re: Do Catholics Worship Statues? | Catholic Answers by Jusmudi(m): 11:23pm On Mar 25, 2016
dolphinheart:

Bros my broda just gave U d verse wat do u want me to do
Re: Do Catholics Worship Statues? | Catholic Answers by analice107: 11:26pm On Mar 25, 2016
BLINGZ88:
the bible has so many translation but the main thing is knowing that Christ came to d world to die 4 out sins and
they are so many places where totem were used in the bible.
Example of those places in the Bible? And, do well to also post where we are Commanded to use them as items for worship or veneration, or honour. Whichever word you Catholics chooses to use to explain your idolatery.
Re: Do Catholics Worship Statues? | Catholic Answers by Jusmudi(m): 11:32pm On Mar 25, 2016
dolphinheart:

pls go to a fellow nairalander's wedding , or even go to your church member's wedding and start giving commands, na their you go know say una no be family.

Bros free style. D dude is very correct. Dn't add anything to d bible oooo, dey just told us d role mary played.. Just accept it dt way.. Is nt novel dt u ll try to criticise because dis is word of GOD. If u can''t understand meet sm1 dt can put u 2ru
Re: Do Catholics Worship Statues? | Catholic Answers by Ubenedictus(m): 11:38pm On Mar 25, 2016
dolphinheart:

just qoute those verses and we will examine.
i just did, now u can tell why it contradicts ur position.
Re: Do Catholics Worship Statues? | Catholic Answers by Ubenedictus(m): 11:48pm On Mar 25, 2016
analice107:

You still misunderstand. The house we all gather in, or the huge crowed we constitute, is not the church. You and I individually, are the church.
You become a church of Jesus christ, (His Temple) the day you have a revelation of who he truely is. That's why it takes just two or three of us to cause an earth quake.
i never said d church is the building, u are d one na forcing words in my mouth. I said the church is the body of Christ and I am a member in that body. That is what the bible says. It never said a single person is the church, it instead say d church is d body of Jesus and I am a part in it or a member.

If u wish to argue this then i'll have to allow u do dat with paul d apostle. That is what he taught.
Re: Do Catholics Worship Statues? | Catholic Answers by Ubenedictus(m): 11:54pm On Mar 25, 2016
dolphinheart:

Bro, I did not say "neither mary Or anyone had seen jesus perform a miracle" , let me rephrase: neither mary or anyone had seen jesus perform any miracle before turning water into wine. Hope you get me now?
that is ur own opinion not in d bible
Re: Do Catholics Worship Statues? | Catholic Answers by BLINGZ88: 6:57am On Mar 26, 2016
analice107:

Example of those places in the Bible? And, do well to also post where we are Commanded to use them as items for worship or veneration, or honour. Whichever word you Catholics chooses to use to explain your idolatery.
I don't like repeating what I said, totems where used in the bible nd in reply to another post, I made it clear that Catholics ask Mary nd other saints to pray for them, the same thing u ask ur pastor to do 4 u.... But if u still say that Catholics worship status, fine nd good because we wear medals, then LORDS CHOOSEN worship their church because they wear clothes with their churches name written all over it
Re: Do Catholics Worship Statues? | Catholic Answers by Syncan(m): 10:48am On Mar 26, 2016
analice107:

Sir, do you realize that Jesus' lineage didn't come through this Mary we are talking about here? It was through Joseph. Why is Joseph completely alleniated from the whole scene? To tell you the truth, Mary is not more important than Joseph in the whole Jesus' birth. Joseph as far as am concern is more important, because he is from the tribe of Judah, through which the promise was made.

Dear one, just like Ubenedictus asked earlier, you need to ask yourself and tell us what lineage is. I can at this stage plead with you to read Matt.1:1-16, and concentrate on the way each father beget the son, and the way the last sentence in verse 16 describes Joseph's relationship with Jesus. You'll find out that Joseph is only related to Jesus because he married Mary the mother of Jesus. I don't know why you have to say what you said, it's a basic knowledge in Scripture and Christiandom that Mary is more related to Jesus than Joseph. I wish you will be open to a fair discussion where you will acknowledge truth when it is revealed. However after Mary, Joseph is another great saint that Catholics venerate, he was privileged while on earth and he lived a holy life. Again I say Mary is not in competition with God nor with any saint.
Re: Do Catholics Worship Statues? | Catholic Answers by dolphinheart(m): 2:50pm On Mar 26, 2016
Ubenedictus:
you can xplain how they dont correspond.

simple, what jusmudi said is different from the scriptures you quoted. you can quote what he said and quote the scripture you gave and compare the two, they are not saying the same thing!
Re: Do Catholics Worship Statues? | Catholic Answers by analice107: 2:55pm On Mar 26, 2016
Syncan:

Dear one, just like Ubenedictus asked earlier, you need to ask yourself and tell us what lineage is. I can at this stage plead with you to read Matt.1:1-16, and concentrate on the way each father beget the son, and the way the last sentence in verse 16 describes Joseph's relationship with Jesus. You'll find out that Joseph is only related to Jesus because he married Mary the mother of Jesus. I don't know why you have to say what you said, it's a basic knowledge in Scripture and Christiandom that Mary is more related to Jesus than Joseph. I wish you will be open to a fair discussion where you will acknowledge truth when it is revealed. However after Mary, Joseph is another great saint that Catholics venerate, he was privileged while on earth and he lived a holy life. Again I say Mary is not in competition with God nor with any saint.
Lineage is one's family tree which links you to your ancestors. Am shocked you are asking me this.
Why didn't you type out what Mat 1:16 says?
Here is what it says. Verse 15. And Eliud begat Eliazar; and Eliazar begat Mathan; and Mathan begat Jacob;
16. And Jacob begat Joseph, the husband of Mary, the mother of Jesus.
When Angel Gabriel appeared to Joseph, he addressed Joseph as 'Son of David'. Matt. 1:20. The Messiah was promised through the Lineage of Judah, through David came, then Joseph.
Mary wasn't from the tribe of Judah, so what is the fuss all about Mary?
If I happen to marry into your family, the child I will bare won't be traced to my ancestors, it will rather be traced to your family's.

Do you now understand what Lineage means?
Re: Do Catholics Worship Statues? | Catholic Answers by Syncan(m): 3:05pm On Mar 26, 2016
analice107:

Lineage is one's family tree which links you to your ancestors. Am shocked you are asking me this.
Why didn't you type out what Mat 1:16 says?
Here is what it says. Verse 15. And Elite begat Eliazar; and Eliazar begat Mathan; and Martha begat Jacob;
16. And Jacob begat Joseph, the husband of Mary, the mother of Jesus.
When Angel Gabriel appeared to Joseph, he addressed Joseph as 'Son of David'. Matt. 1:20. The Messiah was promised through the Lineage of Judah, through David came, then Joseph.
Mary wasn't from the tribe of Judah, so what is the fuss all about Mary?
Like everyone of us, she did her part by obeying and allowing God use her as a vessel. We are also called vessels.

Do you now understand what Lineage means?

I am glad you quoted it yourself, just to put it simply, do you mind showing me "and Joseph begat Jesus, the Messiah"?
The fuss about Mary? I should be asking you that question because whatever fuss you have about Mary is alien to Christianity. She bore God in her womb, gave birth to God, nurtured God as He in turn obeyed her, was with Him till Calvary, and arranged His human body in the tomb. That's a privilege no other human can boast of. God has raised her up, all generations shall call her blessed. Now she is with Him in heaven interceding for us and praising God; along with the rest of the saints.

If you marry into my family the child will only be traced to my lineage if I am the father, which I could be also by adoption.
Re: Do Catholics Worship Statues? | Catholic Answers by analice107: 3:29pm On Mar 26, 2016
Syncan:

I am glad you quoted it yourself, just to put it simply, do you mind showing me "and Joseph begat Jesus, the Messiah"?

Are you serious? So where you come from, a child's family tree runs through its mother's ancestry?
Even in this case where the Messiah's lineage was already prophesied to come through Judah, you still fight against it?
Why am i surprised? Catholics don't have time with what the scriptures says.

Plse do tell if any of Mary's gene contributed to the Child in her whom? What part of Mary was in Christ? Oh wait!!!. She breast fed the child.
Mary was just a container which availed itself for the Master's use.
Just as Joseph contributed nothing Biologically to Christ, Mary also contributed nothing. It was all God's project.
Re: Do Catholics Worship Statues? | Catholic Answers by Syncan(m): 3:42pm On Mar 26, 2016
analice107:

Are you serious? So where you come from, a child's family tree runs through its mother's ancestry?
Even in this case where the Messiah's lineage was already prophesied to come through Judah, you still fight against it?
Why am i surprised? Catholics don't have time with what the scriptures says.

Plse do tell if any of Mary's gene contributed to the Child in her whom? What part of Mary was in Christ? Oh wait!!!. She breast fed the child.
Mary was just a container which availed itself for the Master's use.
Just as Joseph contributed nothing Biologically to Christ, Mary also contributed nothing. It was all God's project.

Pls have pity on yourself,lest people reading this start looking down on you. First you claim Joseph was more related to Jesus than Mary, I have shown you clearly that Joseph is not as related to Jesus as Mary is. To Joseph, Jesus is an adopted son, to Mary, Jesus is her natural son. You may want to dance around this till eternity, it will not change. It's there in Scripture looking at you. Its always easy for you to run to insult by saying catholics dont know scriptures. Don't even get me started with scriptures, you may want to go through my posts to know me better. Catholics compiled that scripture, we teach its truth.
Again, you ask what Mary contributed to Jesus, and I will answer that she gave him all the genes a mother could give,, since he has only one earthly parent, he got all from her.
Wow!!! Your mother must be so proud to hear you say she was just a container for you to be born, and contributed nothing biologically to your birth.
Re: Do Catholics Worship Statues? | Catholic Answers by analice107: 4:05pm On Mar 26, 2016
Syncan:

Pls have pity on yourself,lest people reading this start looking down on you. First you claim Joseph was more related to Jesus than Mary, I have shown you clearly that Joseph is not as related to Jesus as Mary is. To Joseph, Jesus is an adopted son, to Mary, Jesus is her natural son. You may want to dance around this till eternity, it will not change. It's there in Scripture looking at you. Its always easy for you to run to insult by saying catholics dont know scriptures. Don't even get me started with scriptures, you may want to go through my posts to know me better. Catholics compiled that scripture, we teach its truth.
Again, you ask what Mary contributed to Jesus, and I will answer that she gave him all the genes a mother could give,, since he has only one earthly parent, he got all from her.
Wow!!! Your mother must be so proud to hear you say she was just a container for you to be born, and contributed nothing biologically to your birth.
Oh!!! Am really ashamed of myself already. Don't bother about what my mother thinks of me. She knows that, although she bore me for 9months, am a Cameroonian, that's because, that's where my family tree is traced to.
I think you just called the Bible or the people who traced Jesus' lineage to Abraham, down to Adam fools.
Why didn't they traced Mary's family tree, but rather Josephs'? Shey the parent the child is related to the most is whose lineage is traced.
Answer me this. Which Tribe was prophesied to, through which the Messiah should come? Or, dodn't you believe in prophecies sir?
Re: Do Catholics Worship Statues? | Catholic Answers by analice107: 4:16pm On Mar 26, 2016
BLINGZ88:
I don't like repeating what I said, totems where used in the bible nd in reply to another post, I made it clear that Catholics ask Mary nd other saints to pray for them, the same thing u ask ur pastor to do 4 u.... But if u still say that Catholics worship status, fine nd good because we wear medals, then LORDS CHOOSEN worship their church because they wear clothes with their churches name written all over it
And I said, throw in a scripture or two to buttress your point.
The Bible, as a matter of fact, Christians are admonished to pray for one another (the living). And Apostle Paul begs believers to pray for him to have boldness to preach the gospel. How can u ask a dead man to pray for you the living. And you guys even pray for the dead.
Excuse me sir, I was also I Catholic until not too long ago, so you are not talking to someone who was born in Pentecostalism.
Once upon a time, I was where you are now, defending falsehood.
I pray the Holy Spirit convicts your heart.
Re: Do Catholics Worship Statues? | Catholic Answers by dolphinheart(m): 5:38pm On Mar 26, 2016
Ubenedictus:

you are trying to lie with th bible.
The words are "do not make for yourself" not "do not make for urself witout my command" that is how people add things to the bible, "do not make for urself" is clear enough unles u have problem with comprehesion, it simply means do not make any image FOR yourself, ie do not make any image for ur own use, it is a blanket rule and there is nothing about "without my command there" the passage doesnt say that whether u read it in greek or hebrew or english.
I believe that you just want to accuse me of something that's why you said this. pls read my post again , I did not twist the scriptures, I just gave you my own understanding of God's command using the details given by the scriptures as guide.
1. The scriptures shows that the isrealites made images that where approved by jehovah for religious purpose.
2. The scriptures shows that the isrealites made images that where not approved by jehovah.
3. All the images approved by jehovah had a prior command approving it's construction
4. All the images not aproved by jehovah did not have a prior command.
5. There fore "do not make for yourself" could not mean "do not make for yourself any image at all" Since there is evidence to show that they did made images(for there own use) that has gods approval.
6. looking at the images God approved and disproved , we can conclude that "do not make for yourselves" mean "do not make for yourself any image without prior approval or command" as all image maDe without this where rejected by jehovah.
u said every image had detailed command for it given by God, please show me where God gave the directive for the above image! The passage above tell us that they were made, now show me d scripture that says God gave a detail directive for them. For ur info d above images werent hidden.
1Ch 28:6“He said to me, ‘Your son Solʹo·mon is the one who will build my house and my courtyards, for I have chosen him as my son and I will become his father.
(you can also read 1 sam 7:13)

as you can see from the above scriptures, Jehovah specified who will construct the house, like all other images,e.g the ark, Jehovah mentioned the person who will do or oversee the construction. The scriptures let us know that David, a loyal servant of jehovah had a lot of things ready so as to start the construction, but he obeyed jehovah.

1Ch 28:10- 19: See, now, for Jehovah has chosen you to build a house as a sanctuary. Be courageous and go to work.”
11. David then gave to his son Solʹo·mon the architectural plan of the porch and of its houses, its storerooms, its roof chambers, its inner rooms, and the house of the propitiatory cover.
12. He gave him the architectural plan of everything that had been conveyed to him through inspiration for the courtyards of Jehovah’s house, for all the dining rooms around it, for the treasuries of the house of the true God, and for the treasuries of the things made holy;
13 .also for the divisions of the priests and of the Levites, for all the duties of the service of Jehovah’s house, and for all the utensils of the service of Jehovah’s house;
14. also for the weight of the gold, the gold for all the utensils for the different services, the weight of all the utensils of silver, and for all the utensils for the different services;
15. also the weight for the gold lampstands and their gold lamps, the weight of the different lampstands and their lamps, and the weight of the silver lampstands, for each lampstand and its lamps according to its use;
16. also the weight of the gold for the tables of the layer bread, for each table, as well as the silver for the tables of silver,
17. for the forks, the bowls, the pitchers of pure gold, and the weight of the small gold bowls, for each small bowl, and the weight of the small silver bowls, for each small bowl.
18. he also gave the weight for the refined gold for the incense altar and for the representation of the chariot, namely, the cherubs of gold that spread their wings out and overshadow the ark of the covenant of Jehovah.
19. David said: “The hand of Jehovah was upon me, and he gave me insight to put all the details of the architectural plan in writing.”

1Ki 6:1,11,12: In the 480th year after the Israelites came out of the land of Egypt, in the fourth year after Solʹo·mon became king over Israel, in the month of Ziv (that is, the second month), he began to build the house of Jehovah.
11. Meanwhile, the word of Jehovah came to Solʹo·mon, saying:
12“As for this house that you are building, if you walk in my statutes and carry out my judgments and observe all my commandments by walking in them, I will also carry out with you my promise that I made to David your father,

2Ch 4:19,20,22: Solʹo·mon made all the utensils for the house of the true God: the altar of gold; the tables with the showbread on them;
20. the lampstands and their lamps of pure gold, to burn before the innermost room according to the requirements;
22. the extinguishers, the bowls, the cups, and the fire holders, of pure gold; and the entrance of the house, its inner doors for the Most Holy, and the doors of the house of the temple, of gold.

1Ki 6:38and in the 11th year, in the month of Bul (that is, the eighth month), the house was finished in all its details and according to its plan. So he spent seven years building it.

Ubene,pls tell if any of my following points is or are false.
1.the scriptures tell us that God commanded that Solomon built the temple, and the scriptures tell us that Solomon built temple.
2.The scriptures tell that the details of these temple construction where given to david by inspiration, I'll leave to speculate where the inspiration came from.
3. The scriptures tell us that David recorded the inspiration " in written".
4. The scriptures tells us that David gave the details of the temple construction to solomon(the only he was inspired to right down.
5. The scriptures tells you that Solomon constructed the temple according to its requirements/ details/ plans.
6. The scriptures tells you that this temple, inclusive of all the images in it met God's approval, which was even physically manifest.

you see all these in these scriptures , yet you are asking where and when the directives was given to make the images.
Your aim is to find fault with images made by Solomon, so as to find similarity with the images of Jesus made today. but the scriptures has shown that the image in the temple follow the construction of other images.
1. The command for the construction of the ark, copper snake and image in temple is given by God and recorded.
2. the person who is to carry out that command to construct, the ark, snake and images in temple are given and recorded.
3. The approval of God to those images was shown physically. God showed his presence in the ark and temple, and the copper snake served it's purpose.

The construction of the images of Jesus today does not follow or have anything in comMon with these points above.
Ubene, the scriptures are there for a protection, to protect us from people who make false images of Jesus!
where is d directive given for that particular image? U claim all images were from divine directive, where did God command that the above image be made.
when God has shown you he approved of the construction of the temple,you are asking about a particular image, when solomon had given you the details, you now want to claim it's not part of the details given to him by David.
Some of these scriptures will help your research sha.
ex 26:1
ex 27:9
2 chr 5:7
eze 41:24, 25
heb 8:5

as to the issue of the images being hidden. you did not qoute what I said. I stated that less than 1% of the isrealites could see these images, in an essence they(the images) where hidden from them.
check the location of each image, and then check if the isrealites can easily enter their or not.
tion

2Ch 5:8Thus the wings of the cherubs were spread out over the place of the Ark, so that the cherubs covered over the Ark and its poles from above.
2Ch 5:9The poles were so long that the tips of the poles were visible from the Holy in front of the innermost room, but they were not visible from outside. And they are there to this day.

have u lost ur bible?
Bro , if you dnt want to quote the scripture pls let us know.
Re: Do Catholics Worship Statues? | Catholic Answers by dolphinheart(m): 5:43pm On Mar 26, 2016
Jusmudi:

Bros my broda just gave U d verse wat do u want me to do

1. you did not state that the verse he quoted is the same as one I asked you to present
2. the content of that verse and what you said do not correspond !
Re: Do Catholics Worship Statues? | Catholic Answers by dolphinheart(m): 5:51pm On Mar 26, 2016
Ubenedictus:
that is ur own opinion not in d bible

Well that's my understanding of the scriptures.
can you give your understanding of these verse?
New International Version
john 2:11What Jesus did here in Cana of Galilee was the first of the signs through which he revealed his glory; and his disciples believed in him.
are you saying jesus had performed miracle(s) before these and Mary had seen he could perform miracles?

note my statement:

, let me rephrase: neither mary or anyone had seen Jesus perform any miracle before turning water into wine. Hope you get me now?
Re: Do Catholics Worship Statues? | Catholic Answers by dolphinheart(m): 6:16pm On Mar 26, 2016
Jusmudi:

Bros free style. D dude is very correct. Dn't add anything to d bible oooo, dey just told us d role mary played.. Just accept it dt way.. Is nt novel dt u ll try to criticise because dis is word of GOD.

if you had not jumped in, you would have known the discussion is not based on doctrine, or meant to pass on any spiritual message, we where just discussing on our personal view of why Mary could have such authority at the wedding. my views should not be taken as a true ocurrence of events . my explanations has in no way What so ever denied or criticised the role Mary played at the wedding!, in fact it supports it!
If u can''t understand meet sm1 dt can put u 2ru
if I can't understand what? what scripture have you presented to me on the issue of the wedding that I've posted something contrary to?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Nigerian Pastors Are Shameless / Miracle Pastors - All Their Tricks Exposed - Channel 4 - UK / Russia Reveals That Jesus Christ Was a Black Man� RUSSIAN ICON

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 121
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.