Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,796 members, 7,817,295 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:47 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (12205) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11665674 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12202) (12203) (12204) (12205) (12206) (12207) (12208) ... (16150) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:22pm On Jan 12, 2022
andrewbaba44:

Moses was taking better corner kicks ,remember ?

I can remember but he started fumbling later sha.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 12:28pm On Jan 12, 2022
Meliforme:
Some of the reasons why Mohammed Sallah was quiet throughout the game.

Mohammed Sallah was pegged back
Most of our forays into the opposition came from passes to Moses Simon who was very good with his runs and dribbles, raking four successful dribbles out of five attempts. These attacking moves pegged back Mohammed Sallah who occupied the same side of the pitch as Moses Simon.

An overload of players on the side of the pitch that has Mohammed Sallah
Again our attacking manoeuvres which was more from the side of the pitch that has Mohammed Sallah, caused an overload of players on that side of the pitch. This made it difficult for Mohammed Sallah to benefit from direct passes and long balls.

Moses Simon's defending from the front.
Moses Simon's defending from the front was great a contributing factor. Moses Simon won five out of nine ground duels. This is very impressive for a forward. Winning duels in advanced areas of the pitch is key to preventing incursions from the opponents, progressing forward plays and feeding direct balls to their forwards.

Cc: Wayodude

This isn't accurate... Salah didn't play from the flanks but the middle...

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Flanker: 12:29pm On Jan 12, 2022
Sierra leone goalkeaper have done an amazing job ( man of the match ) against algeria , he even cried in the end grin

11 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 12:32pm On Jan 12, 2022
So Antonio Rudiger is a Sierra leonans, make em switch go rep them abeg

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:34pm On Jan 12, 2022
andrewbaba44:

Omeruo will need to forgive me that I don’t rate him above others despite having a good afcon at Egypt ,and he has started to show that again

Omeruo was so good yesterday ,I just pray he start next game due to the injury that make him not to finish the game against Egypt

Yes! Commanding! Bossing! He has always impressed me though. I don’t know why people don’t rate him here.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Acecube(m): 12:35pm On Jan 12, 2022
andrewbaba44:

Omo awaziem be like 4th choice ooo

You see say na ajayi come in for omeruo
Omo true oh... Someone said he tested positive for covid-19 Sha... I hope that's the case
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Acecube(m): 12:38pm On Jan 12, 2022
Flanker:
Sierra leone goalkeaper have done an amazing job ( man of the match ) against algeria , he even cried in the end grin
Was phenomenal through out... He exudes confidence a lot.

Algerians played a lot of direct balls to him though, but all in all he tried.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 12:38pm On Jan 12, 2022
forgiveness:

Perhaps, Dey want him out for Ebuehi since they can’t fault Aina.! grin

grin grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:38pm On Jan 12, 2022
Papi85:
But when eguavoen brought in nwakali instead of Onyeka when the team needs energy,pace and physicality to defends its lead fear me ooo

That move he made was too damn risky

I think they reverted to 4-5-1 and still had it in mind to score by relying on long from Nwakali to Sadiq or Ejuke.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:45pm On Jan 12, 2022
Acecube:
Omo true oh... Someone said he tested positive for covid-19 Sha... I hope that's the case

Okay maybe
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:46pm On Jan 12, 2022
forgiveness:

Yes! Commanding! Bossing! He has always impressed me though. I don’t know why people don’t rate him here.
Maybe because he could not get a Laliga club after Leganés was relegated
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 12:46pm On Jan 12, 2022
drDoom3:
Next game, I would say we send most of our starting lineup to the bench to rest them against future games. We should be able to dispatch Sudan without our starting 11. I think a front three of Ejuke-Sadiq-Simon should do the job. Onyeka should play alongside Nwakali or Aribo. Ndidi is indispensable. Backline too should not change, with Ajayi replacing Omeruo if necessary.
Nope, I disagree. What you are doing is akin to underrating your opposition

You don't give your Starting XI rest until you've secured qualification. They need to start the same team on Saturday, especially those who put in a good shift.

They can start substitutions at halftime if we have a 2-goal advantage. Once we win our second game, we can now start the whole resting of key players against Guinea-Bissau

We no carry anybody go Cameroon to rest, na tournament no be vacation.

27 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 12:51pm On Jan 12, 2022
BascoVanVeli:
Highlights of the match. I can't for the life of me figure out how some people come out so fast with theirs grin anyways we whooped some Egyptian butts cheesy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvcHWFFsyGQ
can you reupload? Seems it has been taken down
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by isan(m): 12:52pm On Jan 12, 2022
Can y'all see the stupid dig from rorh on front page grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:53pm On Jan 12, 2022
am not in support of this. the coach should execute the next match with the same 11 that won egypt

he can only change the team when the teams qualification to the next round is confirmed. the worst thing to do is to underrate sudan just because we won egypt
drDoom3:
Next game, I would say we send most of our starting lineup to the bench to rest them against future games. We should be able to dispatch Sudan without our starting 11. I think a front three of Ejuke-Sadiq-Simon should do the job. Onyeka should play alongside Nwakali or Aribo. Ndidi is indispensable. Backline too should not change, with Ajayi replacing Omeruo if necessary.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 12:54pm On Jan 12, 2022
bazooka1:

Loosing the ball means getting dispossessed. In other words, you claimed he was dispossessed by the Egyptians 19times. At that rate, it means he lost the ball practically everytime he touched it. You went ahead to count shots and crosses as getting dispossessed.
For real, you should have a word with yourself bro.
bro, that’s how they compile the statistics, even if it is a defensive clearance they’ll count it as loosing the ball
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 12:56pm On Jan 12, 2022
Papi85:
The nff should reach out to udinese’s udogie to replace Collins and serve as a back up to zaidu

That udogie boy is too good to be ignored

Papi relax just pray we win this afcon
You see the likes of Eze, M. Olise, Tosin, Noni Madueke and other unknow innit boys and German kids will start longing to play for Nigeria and that will make the super eagles the beautiful bride they'll start toasting and God willing we qualify for the world cup as well....

Super Eagles will laugh last
Udogie is ours to take....

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 12:57pm On Jan 12, 2022
drDoom3:

You'll make a terrible coach with this suggestion ooo
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 12:58pm On Jan 12, 2022
Danielnino00:

I once said it that if I was Aina, I would fake injuries not to honour any international call up. You can't be coming for every international break and putting in enough efforts just to be benched by makeshift players in your position just because the coach wants to be conservative....
Aina and Ebuehi’s dedication and perseverance is really unmatched
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 12:59pm On Jan 12, 2022
humility33:

You'll make a terrible coach with this suggestion ooo

Walai cheesy cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 12:59pm On Jan 12, 2022
Daninya33:
Person dey wey sabi football die amongst Eguavoen assistances.
Just as sylvanus okpara was to late Stephen Keshi.
should be either Salisu or that Oga lecturer

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 1:00pm On Jan 12, 2022
Curtisaxel10:
I wonder what the hell Aigbogun is doing with that team. Is he the team's official bribe taker or what because that is the only job he knows how to do well.
he’s the opposition scout. Please give them benefit of doubt, no be every time egunje

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 1:01pm On Jan 12, 2022
for me i have lost hope in eze and madueke playing for us

i still believe that the likes of olise,tosin,uduokhaiand torunarigha will hv a change of heart very soon

as for udogie like you said is ours to take and i believe soon discussions will start with him
humility33:

Papi relax just pray we win this afcon
You see the likes of Eze, M. Olise, Tosin, Noni Madueke and other unknow innit boys and German kids will start longing to play for Nigeria and that will make the super eagles the beautiful bride they'll start toasting and God willing we qualify for the world cup as well....

Super Eagles will laugh last
Udogie is ours to take....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 1:02pm On Jan 12, 2022
forgiveness:

Exactly! Most people over rely on one foot. I think Moses is one of them. He is just forcing the crosses.
Then may e dey square play the ball na put ball for ground it must not be up all the time
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 1:03pm On Jan 12, 2022
charlesemeka85:
for me i have lost hope in eze and madueke playing for us

i still believe that the likes of olise,tosin,uduokhaiand torunarigha will hv a change of heart very soon

as for udogie like you said is ours to take and i believe soon discussions will start with him

Eze will regret later
He can never make the 3Lions team with the way he plays

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 1:03pm On Jan 12, 2022
isan:
Can y'all see the stupid dig from rorh on front page grin

Rohr useless sha
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 1:05pm On Jan 12, 2022
jihday:
should be either Salisu or that Oga lecturer

That Salisu is underrated seriously

I start to respect that man upon the way he handle his CHAN/WAFU Team the last time

He is a fine coach
Him and that Dr. Should be asked to manage the CHAN team

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 1:06pm On Jan 12, 2022
andrewbaba44:

Walai cheesy cheesy
Lol... we are all learning every day though

He is very good with tactics and reads game well
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by humility33(m): 1:06pm On Jan 12, 2022
jihday:
he’s the opposition scout. Please give them benefit of doubt, no be every time egunje

With the way he manage the under20 he proves he knows nothing about coaching at all
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 1:09pm On Jan 12, 2022
Joe Aribo was one of the impressive players as the Super Eagles began their Africa Cup of Nations campaign with a 1-0 victory against one of the pre-tournament favorites Egypt on Tuesday evening.

Making his Africa Cup of Nations debut, the versatile Rangers star was deployed as one of the two holding midfielders, along with Leicester City's Wilfred Ndidi.

Aribo was delighted the Super Eagles started the Africa Cup of Nations with a win, adding that the players followed the instructions given by manager Augustine Eguaoven before they stepped out on to the Roumdé Adjia Stadium, Garoua turf.

The highlight of Aribo's performance was registering his first assist in Super Eagles colours when he set up Kelechi Iheanacho's game-winning goal with a cushioned header in the 30th minute.

"We are very happy with the three points, we knew that's what we wanted to get," Aribo told reporters in the mixed zone after the game.

"We set a target for ourselves to get the win and we are happy that we were able to get the victory".

On what worked for the team, the Nigeria number 10 said : "We were strong defensively, we were working.

"The coach said at the start of the game that he wanted us to push one hundred percent and we gave him that".

Aribo's assist vs Egypt was his first goal involvement for the Super Eagles since his strike in a friendly with Brazil back in October 2019.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 1:12pm On Jan 12, 2022
Interim Nigeria boss Augustine Eguavoen has acknowledged that Almeria star Umar Sadiq did not play on the same level as Taiwo Awoniyi after coming off the bench to replace the Union Berlin striker in the 72nd minute of a 1-0 win vs Egypt in the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations on Tuesday evening.

In truth, Sadiq, who is having another outstanding season at Almeria, did not add value when he came on, failing to hold up play, create a goal threat and didn't cause problems for the backline.

Eguavoen argued that the former Rangers man was nervy because he was playing in his first major tournament - something that didn't hold water as Sadiq was a key member of the Nigeria squad that won bronze at the Olympic Games in 2016, has Serie A experience and sixteen games under his belt in European competitions.

The 24-year-old made his senior debut against the seven-time African champions.

Asked if he was bothered that Sadaq didn't play on the same level as the player he replaced, Eguaoven told reporters at the post-match press conference : "Umar I think this is the first time playing in a very big stage and we have to talk to him.

"He gave me some few excuses after the game but it's something psychological so we have to talk to him and address it in future games."

Sadiq started all the six matches played by the Dream Team VI at the 2016 Olympics, scoring four goals.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 1:18pm On Jan 12, 2022
The new headache now is how to beat Sudan, I'm very sure they will be coming with game plan of parking the tipper, caterpillar and truck, they won't wanna dare to play a man to man attacking football with us.
This is where Eguavoen has to show us his tactical and technical know-how.
Nigeria/Tanzania comes to mind
Nigeria/CAR comes to mind
One was successful the other was a national disgrace all in the fold of Rohr

6 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (12202) (12203) (12204) (12205) (12206) (12207) (12208) ... (16150) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Melvinity, sureleads, Sugarboyy(m), comodo, elyte89 and 11 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.