Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,983 members, 7,956,665 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 04:37 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (12208) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup (12468057 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12205) (12206) (12207) (12208) (12209) (12210) (12211) ... (16701) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 4:06pm On Jan 12, 2022
jihday:
I’m tempted to do same too but Mali alongside Morocco are the ultimate chokers in Africa

Have faith brother grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Acecube(m): 4:07pm On Jan 12, 2022
chrisooblog:
Should be banned from refereeing for a very long time by CAF.

I swear upon the VAR check he still stood by the red card.

During the match he ran to go and drink water forming water break. Yeye dey smell
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 4:10pm On Jan 12, 2022
Nigeria.
News Hub Creator
Photo credit: Facebook

The referee in charge of the Nigeria national team match against Mohamed Salah's Egypt national team, Bakary Papa Gassama, failed to listen to the call of VAR during the match when an Egypt national team player fell inside the opposite box following a challenge from a Nigeria player.

Bakary Papa Gassama made a very strong decision by refusing the call from the Video Assistance Referee. It was obvious that there was an intense conversation between the Cameroonian referee and the VAR.

The call would have resulted in a penalty for the Egypt national team, and the result would have been different for the Nigeria national team fans, but the referee was right to ignore the VAR call as the Nigerian defender was falling and could not leave the Egyptian attacker.

Meanwhile, the Super Eagles will be playing their second game of the 2021 African Cup of Nations tournament against Sudan at the Roumde Adjia Stadium, the same as today's venue.

The Super Eagles are the current group D leaders after their 1-0 victory against Egypt, and the Super Eagles are favourites to qualify for the next round of the tournament.Opinion:

Share your thoughts about these points and comment if you think the decision but the referee was right.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel10: 4:11pm On Jan 12, 2022
chrisooblog:
Should be banned from refereeing for a very long time by CAF.

Wrong penalty awarded to Mali, very dubious red card given, ended the game twice before time and without any extra time despite a giving a cooling break and stopping play several times to check VAR. This referee seemed on a mission to break every single damn rule in the book.

He was either drunk, high on weed, bribed or thouroughly incompetent.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Edopesin: 4:12pm On Jan 12, 2022
MetalJigsaw:
Nigeria.
News Hub Creator
Photo credit: Facebook

The referee in charge of the Nigeria national team match against Mohamed Salah's Egypt national team, Bakary Papa Gassama, failed to listen to the call of VAR during the match when an Egypt national team player fell inside the opposite box following a challenge from a Nigeria player.

Bakary Papa Gassama made a very strong decision by refusing the call from the Video Assistance Referee. It was obvious that there was an intense conversation between the Cameroonian referee and the VAR.

The call would have resulted in a penalty for the Egypt national team, and the result would have been different for the Nigeria national team fans, but the referee was right to ignore the VAR call as the Nigerian defender was falling and could not leave the Egyptian attacker.

Meanwhile, the Super Eagles will be playing their second game of the 2021 African Cup of Nations tournament against Sudan at the Roumde Adjia Stadium, the same as today's venue.

The Super Eagles are the current group D leaders after their 1-0 victory against Egypt, and the Super Eagles are favourites to qualify for the next round of the tournament.Opinion:

Share your thoughts about these points and comment if you think the decision but the referee was right.

The foul was outside the box, the referee stopped play twice and still didn't go to the monitor.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 4:13pm On Jan 12, 2022
In all my life I have never seen this type of refereeing in an international game.
He can be forgiven for the two penalty decisions. But some refs won't give that penalty against Tunisia.
That Malian player didn't deserve a red card.
And then ending the game first in the 85th and then 89th Mins. Meanwhile, there was a water break, two penalties that needed VAR decision and a red card that was checked via VAR.

That guy should be sent home from this AFCON. He is not a REf

14 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 4:15pm On Jan 12, 2022
Ref took mali to win cheesy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 4:20pm On Jan 12, 2022
Afcon ref wey I Dey praise don fall my hand grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 4:31pm On Jan 12, 2022
I kept asking myself where CAF got that referee from. He was worse than even our high school refs. His performance today was a disgrace to African footie. No wonder Juergen Klopp described AFCON as a small tournament in Africa.

O pari

Icon4s:
In all my life I have never seen this type of refereeing in an international game.
He can be forgiven for the two penalty decisions. But some refs won't give that penalty against Tunisia.
And then ending the game first in the 85th and then 89th Mins. Meanwhile, there was a water break, two penalties that needed VAR decision and a red card that was checked via VAR.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 4:40pm On Jan 12, 2022
DarkJeddi:
Stop being so biased..

Simon had a good game..

No assist?

But his darting run had a great contribution to the goal..
the both had a good game. Ejuke tried the GK twice. He could have score and you people would have praised have him.

I don't think he was really selfish. Iwobi wasn't that clear on sight for Ejuke to have passed to him. Moreover he was on high speed.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by MetalJigsaw(m): 4:41pm On Jan 12, 2022
DarkJeddi:
Stop being so biased..

Simon had a good game..

No assist?

But his darting run had a great contribution to the goal..
the both had a good game. Ejuke tried the GK twice. He could have score and you people would have praised him for that.

I don't think he was really selfish. Iwobi wasn't that clear on sight for Ejuke to have passed to him. Moreover he was on high speed.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lovewins: 4:43pm On Jan 12, 2022
The final minutes of the game is being replayed. The ref will be replaced
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Edopesin: 4:44pm On Jan 12, 2022
Match resumes lmao
Update

Tunisia refuse to continue

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 4:47pm On Jan 12, 2022
Edopesin:
Match resumes lmao

Where are you watching the match? Match wey don finish in the 89th minute.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 4:51pm On Jan 12, 2022
Icon4s:

Apparently, this referee has a history of these blunders.

He was even suspended in 2018 on the grounds of corruption, whatever made them lift the suspension and give him official duties in something as big as AFCON.

CAF should be ashamed of themselves. Even the cut and join Nigerian refs would not be this blatantly useless

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by seankafor(m): 4:51pm On Jan 12, 2022
Edopesin:
Match resumes lmao
Update

I see Tunisia quitting the tournament.. lol
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 4:54pm On Jan 12, 2022
NPFL ref no fit disgrace Africa like this na.

Well he's been sanctioned.

Sulahwe
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Edopesin: 4:54pm On Jan 12, 2022
seankafor:
I see Tunisia quitting the tournament.. lol

Their cup of tea, it's not like they were going to win it

9 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 4:57pm On Jan 12, 2022
Edopesin:
Match resumes lmao
Update

Scenes where North African teams break away from CAF and join their Arab brethren....

This is Disgraceful abeg. Tunisia did the right thing by declining.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 4:58pm On Jan 12, 2022
safarigirl:
Apparently, this referee has a history of these blunders.

He was even suspended in 2018 on the grounds of corruption, whatever made them lift the suspension and give him official duties in something as big as AFCON.

CAF should be ashamed of themselves. Even the cut and join Nigerian refs would not be this blatantly useless

I think this guy was at the last world cup as a center referee... The pride of Zambia they said...

I wonder if Joshua Bondo is at the AFCON too..the clown from Botswana grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 5:06pm On Jan 12, 2022
Danielnino00:

I think this guy was at the last world cup as a center referee... The pride of Zambia they said...

Omo that Zambia ref get bad record sha

Wikipedia described him as an error prone ref
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 5:09pm On Jan 12, 2022
And somehow NPFL refs never get selected with this kind of ''standard I'm seeing?'' grin

daveP:
NPFL ref no fit disgrace Africa like this na.

Well he's been sanctioned.

Sulahwe

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Edopesin: 5:10pm On Jan 12, 2022
Danielnino00:

Joshua Bondo is no clown, my favorite ref when it comes to Nigeria matches..

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by timay1: 5:33pm On Jan 12, 2022
daveP:

Scenes where North African teams break away from CAF and join their Arab brethren....

I won't be surprised if that happens. Afterall, the Useless FIFA has already laid the groundwork with the recently organized FIFA Arab cup

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 5:39pm On Jan 12, 2022
daveP:

They should feel free

Na manage we don kuku dey manage them since. We will call Carribbean countries to replace them the way UEFA wants to include South American countries in their Continental competition

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Arsenate(m): 5:42pm On Jan 12, 2022
daveP:

I'm sorry, but why do you say this like it's such an awful thing for sub Saharan Africa? I personally wouldn't mind if they left, tbh. I find them to be sore losers. They can join up the Asian based arabs for all I care.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:55pm On Jan 12, 2022
Edopesin:

The foul was outside the box, the referee stopped play twice and still didn't go to the monitor.

From my take, the VAR official felt it was a penalty but the referee believed he saw everything that happened and decided no penalty.

So when the VAR official insisted it was a penalty, the referee told him the incident happened outside the box and blew play on.

However, the VAR official insisted that then he should give a freekick to the Egyptians.

The referee stopped play and told the VAR guy to rewatch the incident and told him of a leading infringement. Not watched the replay carefully but my guesses are:

The Egyptian backed into Simon or there was a tug.

The VAR official watched it and agreed with the referee. That was why the referee laughed. Like, I told you I saw everything. Then blew finally, play on.

cc: Metaljigsaw

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JayromWrites: 6:03pm On Jan 12, 2022
TheGoodJoe:

From my take, the VAR official felt it was a penalty but the referee believed he saw everything that happened and decided no penalty.

So when the VAR official insisted it was a penalty, the referee told him the incident happened outside the box and blew play on.

However, the VAR official insisted that then he should give a freekick to the Egyptians.

The referee stopped play and told the VAR guy to rewatch the incident and told him of a leading infringement. Not watched the replay carefully but my guesses are:

The Egyptian backed into Simon or there was a tug.

The VAR official watched it and agreed with the referee. That was why the referee laughed. Like, I told you I saw everything. Then blew finally, play on.

cc: Metaljigsaw

But I feel for the sake of objectivity, he should have gone to the screen after the second time

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Shukusheka(m): 6:05pm On Jan 12, 2022
daveP:

Like they didn't partake in the Arab cup that held in Qatar last month. The only reason North African teams are still part of CAF is because Arabs are abysmal at football, so no serious competition for them there. Dem no kuku send una papa for Sub Sahara Africa before. grin

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 6:07pm On Jan 12, 2022
JayromWrites:

But I feel for the sake of objectivity, he should have gone to the screen after the second time

Why go to the screen when he knows what he saw and what he saw proved to be the correct thing?

Was he not closer to the action than the VAR official?

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:07pm On Jan 12, 2022
JayromWrites:

The referee does not need to go to the screen if he saw everything and the VAR agrees that his take was right.

For instance if the referee said he Egyptian backed into Simon and the VAR official said yes, there is no need going to the screen.

VAR is there to correct the referee when he is wrong. Not when he is right.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ekusigo: 6:07pm On Jan 12, 2022
Icon79:
I kept asking myself where CAF got that referee from. He was worse than even our high school refs. His performance today was a disgrace to African footie. No wonder Juergen Klopp described AFCON as a small tournament in Africa.

O pari

you have made a very valid point but spoilt everything with Jorgan klopp's quote.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (12205) (12206) (12207) (12208) (12209) (12210) (12211) ... (16701) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: 123jamessmith, tomsniel(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.