Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,081 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:07 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (12206) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11653953 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12203) (12204) (12205) (12206) (12207) (12208) (12209) ... (16147) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:20pm On Jan 12, 2022
andrewbaba44:

Maybe because he could not get a Laliga club after Leganés was relegated

Perhaps.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 1:23pm On Jan 12, 2022
minfelix:
The new headache now is how to beat Sudan, I'm very sure they will be coming with game plan of parking the tipper, caterpillar and truck, they won't wanna dare to play a man to man attacking football with us.
This is where Eguavoen has to show us his tactical and technical know-how.
Nigeria/Tanzania comes to mind
Nigeria/CAR comes to mind
One was successful the other was a national disgrace all in the fold of Rohr

That Sudanese team I saw cannot park anything.

Under small pressure, they were making so many errors. Their only saving grace was that Guinea-Bissau had a toothless attack. If they try too much, they will concede penalties unnecessarily and leave their net open
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bazooka1: 1:23pm On Jan 12, 2022
SerVik:

Actually, you are wrong. Possession lost refers to the number of times a player turns over possession to the opponent. It doesn't matter if it was a wrong pass, a wrong cross, a failed dribble etc. As long as you turn over possession to your opponent it is counted as possession lost.

And yes, Simon lost possession 19times yesterday as recorded by sofascore(sofascore get their stats directly from opta)

https://medium.com/@marketing_52805/premier-league-explained-through-stats-3876f941890

The team recording stats yesterday had a bad day. After the first half, they recorded Egypt had more possession than Nigeria. The guys in the studio couldn't believe that Stat.
Whatever stats you're trying to pull out to change the narrative about how great a game Moses had would be classified dubious.
When Moses Simon came to the scene he was heavily linked to Ajax. Yesterday, he showed why he was highly rated years back. I pray the Egyptian right back recovers from the broken ankle.

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 1:23pm On Jan 12, 2022
humility33:

That Salisu is underrated seriously

I start to respect that man upon the way he handle his CHAN/WAFU Team the last time

He is a fine coach
Him and that Dr. Should be asked to manage the CHAN team
NPFL expert rated Salisu as the best coach in the league

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 1:24pm On Jan 12, 2022
Papi85:
shebi na him tell eguavoen the tactics to use abi? grin

grin grin

Blue Fonter would be proud of your comment.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 1:24pm On Jan 12, 2022
humility33:

With the way he manage the under20 he proves he knows nothing about coaching at all
he has Uefa coaching license, I promise you he’s knowledgeable
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lovewins: 1:25pm On Jan 12, 2022
charlesemeka85:
for me i have lost hope in eze and madueke playing for us

i still believe that the likes of olise,tosin,uduokhaiand torunarigha will hv a change of heart very soon

as for udogie like you said is ours to take and i believe soon discussions will start with him

Just like Tammy Abraham now knows he made a wrong decision choosing to play for England. He shamelessly supports Nigeria now and even posted yesterday's match on his Instagram story

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by bazooka1: 1:28pm On Jan 12, 2022
safarigirl:
I've just been laughing at Watford admin and using Dennis to rattle the Nigerian fans

Na the mumu Dennis I dey laugh pass sha....all the African players that matter are in AFCON. If you no dey Cameroon now, na you dey do yourself.

Dennis will struggle to start in this current Super Eagles team. Speaks volumes how good the squad is.

Eguavoen implemented a good game plan, Rohr would have started Iwobi, played Awaxiem at RB, benching Aina, with Musa being the first sub.

12 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 1:33pm On Jan 12, 2022
bazooka1:

Dennis will struggle to start in this current Super Eagles team. Speaks volumes how good the squad is.

Eguavoen implemented a good game plan, Rohr would have started Iwobi, played Awaxiem at RB, benching Aina, with Musa being the first sub.

When I said that by the time this AFCON is over, we fit no dey reason Dennis matter, some people were telling me it's impossible because he is in the EPL and is putting up numbers

The only person that still has unshakeable space in this team is Osimhen, and it's because he has been playing before this tournament and is a known face.

If it is Dennis, depending on how he and Watford conduct themselves during this tournament, NFF may or may not include him for consequent tournaments and nothing will happen.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chiboy7(m): 1:35pm On Jan 12, 2022
Bro do you have d South Africa site make I read comments?

ChrisKels:
Nigeria has won over the whole of African soccer fans with this showing. Fans all over Africa just dey praise the eagles on every site, even Ghanaians and South Africans. I just hope the eagles don't disappoint
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by minfelix(m): 1:36pm On Jan 12, 2022
safarigirl:

That Sudanese team I saw cannot park anything.

Under small pressure, they were making so many errors. Their only saving grace was that Guinea-Bissau had a toothless attack. If they try too much, they will concede penalties unnecessarily and leave their net open
Anyways you are right, but somehow they felt Guinea bissau was there match, hence they were also attempting to attack them living some room for opponent striker's penetration

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 1:39pm On Jan 12, 2022
lovewins:

Just like Tammy Abraham now knows he made a wrong decision choosing to play for England. He shamelessly supports Nigeria now and even posted yesterday's match on his Instagram story

Who told you Tammy Abraham made a wrong decision ?

I guess rudiger that posted Sierra Leone regretted playing for Germany ?

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 1:40pm On Jan 12, 2022
safarigirl:
Nope, I disagree. What you are doing is akin to underrating your opposition

You don't give your Starting XI rest until you've secured qualification. They need to start the same team on Saturday, especially those who put in a good shift.

They can start substitutions at halftime if we have a 2-goal advantage. Once we win our second game, we can now start the whole resting of key players against Guinea-Bissau

We no carry anybody go Cameroon to rest, na tournament no be vacation.

grin

Most Peeps here are quick at condemning Coaches, yet they can't manage ordinary under 5 squad.

If you ain't targeting Doom instead of Trophy, you won't change your winning Team at all, talk less of after a Match.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 1:40pm On Jan 12, 2022
grin

E be like victory dey shack pass palmy..... coz some Comments are definitely made under influence of Alcohol or Drug.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:43pm On Jan 12, 2022
zuchyblink:
I am the Nostradamus of Nairaland. I see what you don't see. No broiler made to Cameroon

Is that so? So who were the broilers you referred to? grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by noxy1962(m): 1:43pm On Jan 12, 2022
Success go reach everybody. Just trust the process and wait for your turn.
Papi85:
9 years apart
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 1:47pm On Jan 12, 2022
Tunisia vs Mali, I'm predicting a Mali win

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 1:47pm On Jan 12, 2022
charlesemeka85:
Interim Nigeria boss Augustine Eguavoen has acknowledged that Almeria star Umar Sadiq did not play on the same level as Taiwo Awoniyi after coming off the bench to replace the Union Berlin striker in the 72nd minute of a 1-0 win vs Egypt in the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations on Tuesday evening.

In truth, Sadiq, who is having another outstanding season at Almeria, did not add value when he came on, failing to hold up play, create a goal threat and didn't cause problems for the backline.

Eguavoen argued that the former Rangers man was nervy because he was playing in his first major tournament - something that didn't hold water as Sadiq was a key member of the Nigeria squad that won bronze at the Olympic Games in 2016, has Serie A experience and sixteen games under his belt in European competitions.

The 24-year-old made his senior debut against the seven-time African champions.

Asked if he was bothered that Sadaq didn't play on the same level as the player he replaced, Eguaoven told reporters at the post-match press conference : "Umar I think this is the first time playing in a very big stage and we have to talk to him.

"He gave me some few excuses after the game but it's something psychological so we have to talk to him and address it in future games."

Sadiq started all the six matches played by the Dream Team VI at the 2016 Olympics, scoring four goals.
Eguavoen has said it all but am surprised seeing some trying to defend Sadiq performance but it was obvious he didn't bring any synergy to the team....the same thing Ejuke who I rate highly nothing special about him against Egypt...Nwakili came in and his presence was not felt....Chuckwueze damn too poor and need to sit on the bench in the next game.

Kudos to Maduka,Aina,Omeruo,Sanusi and Ekong,they did well...Ndidi brought his A-game. for the first time in GWG..Aribo classic...Iheanacho proved once again that he is the best GWG finisher...Awoniyi did his job well,possibly we are not going to miss Osimehn much...Simon did well.

Eguavoen should maintain his XI with exception of Chuckwueze with Iwbi coming in,we need to see Olayinka even as a sub...it seems Onyeka is a direct replacement for Ndidi in case but I thought he should have come in as sub against Egypt.

Good game from eagles.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 1:48pm On Jan 12, 2022
andrewbaba44:

Omo awaziem be like 4th choice ooo

You see say na ajayi come in for omeruo
he’s not fully fit , didn’t even make the squad
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 1:48pm On Jan 12, 2022
jihday:

Okay now I see
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 1:50pm On Jan 12, 2022
Kog45:
Eguavoen has said it all but am surprised seeing some trying to defend Sadiq performance but it was obvious he didn't bring any synergy to the team....the same thing Ejuke who I rate highly nothing special about him against Egypt...Nwakili came in and his presence was not felt....Chuckwueze damn too poor and need to sit on the bench in the next game.

Kudos to Maduka,Aina,Omeruo,Sanusi and Ekong,they did well...Ndidi brought his A-game. for the first time in GWG..Aribo classic...Iheanacho proved once again that he is the best GWG finisher...Awoniyi did his job well,possibly we are not going to miss Osimehn much...Simon did well.

Eguavoen should maintain his XI with exception of Chuckwueze with Iwbi coming in,we need to see Olayinka even as a sub...it seems Onyeka is a direct replacement for Ndidi in case but I thought he should have come in as sub against Egypt.

Good game from eagles.
Spot on
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Samueltemi337(m): 1:52pm On Jan 12, 2022
I see a

Nigeria vs cote d'Ivoire

finals
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 1:56pm On Jan 12, 2022
Originally born in Romania. Since dem no look him side opted to rep his father's country Sudan.

safarigirl:
Please, who is this white man and why is he in Sudan's jersey?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 1:56pm On Jan 12, 2022
drDoom3:
Next game, I would say we send most of our starting lineup to the bench to rest them against future games. We should be able to dispatch Sudan without our starting 11. I think a front three of Ejuke-Sadiq-Simon should do the job. Onyeka should play alongside Nwakali or Aribo. Ndidi is indispensable. Backline too should not change, with Ajayi replacing Omeruo if necessary.

Make d coach try am oooo. If at all they need to rest, it must be after we are guaranteed the second round.

We must also top the table.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 1:58pm On Jan 12, 2022
Subzero047:
Tunisia vs Mali, I'm predicting a Mali win
I’m tempted to do same too but Mali alongside Morocco are the ultimate chokers in Africa

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 2:00pm On Jan 12, 2022
jihday:
Thats football for you.Awaziem was on everybody lips as a sure starter but injury prevented him,with Egypt game,we now have Omeruo,Ekong,Semi and Awaziem follow.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by seankafor(m): 2:13pm On Jan 12, 2022
These Malians are way too physical and bullies..

Thy re bodying Tunisia at the moment
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 2:13pm On Jan 12, 2022
chrisooblog:
Originally born in Romania. Since dem no look him side opted to rep his father's country Sudan.

LOL

Equally shit countries, but Sudan is in the AFCON at least, Romania may never see Euros

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 2:17pm On Jan 12, 2022
safarigirl:

LOL

Equally shit countries, but Sudan is in the AFCON at least, Romania may never see Euros

Romania can see the euros ,qualifying for that tournament is very easy now

They where at the 2016 edition sha

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Curtisaxel10: 2:27pm On Jan 12, 2022
Shukusheka:
Baba we are playing 4-4-2, wingers are not meant to be cutting in with that formation as they are playing as midfielders.

Exactly my point. But Eguavoen started Moses, a right footer, at LM and Chukwueze, a left footer at RM hence their sub-par display.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by JayromWrites: 2:33pm On Jan 12, 2022
Curtisaxel10:

Exactly my point. But Eguavoen started Moses, a right footer, at LM and Chukwueze, a left footer at RM hence their sub-par display.

I think Moses was used at that wing due to the threat of Salah
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 2:38pm On Jan 12, 2022
Chai look at

(1) (2) (3) ... (12203) (12204) (12205) (12206) (12207) (12208) (12209) ... (16147) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Friday03 and 7 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.