Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,790 members, 7,813,611 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:52 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (16090) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11629549 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (16087) (16088) (16089) (16090) (16091) (16092) (16093) ... (16136) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:17am On Apr 18
TheSuperNerd:
Madrid is not your ordinary short-term goals team. So this doesn't apply here one bit. Madrid are a team for the long term and it shows in their recruitment blueprints and the way they execute their plays in flexible manners. Madrid have undergone transformative build and adaptability in the last few years and recruited soundly with long term in mind. So they are also built for long term enduring success and not just instant success.

Madrid is a more adaptable team tactically than Man City who are fixed on one kind of attacking flow. This is what gave Madrid the edge over the two legs today.

They showed they could attack you in the first leg. In the second leg, they showed they could stifle their attacking machines. Madrid deserve huge credits.

GoodJoe, it is okay to be vexed. Your team lost.

I am not vexed at all and come on, Real Madrid were awful. There is nothing to praise or celebrate about it. They won, they were lucky. It had nothing to do with tactics. They knew they'd were going against a superior opponent and decided to seat back, hoping they win.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:19am On Apr 18
TheSuperNerd:
Madrid is not your ordinary short-term goals team. So this doesn't apply here one bit. Madrid are a team for the long term and it shows in their recruitment blueprints and the way they execute their plays in flexible manners. Madrid have undergone transformative build and adaptability in the last few years and recruited soundly with long term in mind. So they are also built for long term enduring success and not just instant success.

Madrid is a more adaptable team tactically than Man City who are fixed on one kind of attacking flow. This is what gave Madrid the edge over the two legs today.

They showed they could attack you in the first leg. In the second leg, they showed they could stifle their attacking machines. Madrid deserve huge credits.

GoodJoe, it is okay to be vexed. Your team lost.

They had one corner in 120 minutes. If that was Manchester City playing that way to qualify, I would be disgusted.

Real Madrid playing Rohr brand of football is ridiculous. They should be showing us why they are kings of Europe.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:21am On Apr 18
TheSuperNerd:

Pep's team deliberate tactical fouls to slow games down and kill opponents' attacking momentum is another variation of defending and stifling.

Madrid are good value for their win. Their Mentality was stronger.

Tactical fouls comes from playing a high line and leaving yourself exposed to create intrigue in play. It also for dominance. When you lose the ball on an exposed position, you foul. That is no dark art.

We are talking of 120 minutes of bore football.

I never want to see Manchester City play like that to win.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:22am On Apr 18
Honestly the talk of "Long term" should not dare come up when it concerns Madrid. They are masters of the Long term blueprint alongside instant success. They combine both approaches superbly.

Watching them post-CR7 sef and you can see how deliberate they still are in building and sustaining their winning culture. They are Mentality and Long-term Monsters.

Odunayaw:
grin Long term long term but we know who has more CL and who has done 3 peats in recent memory

grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 12:22am On Apr 18
City crashed out

Arsenal crashed out

Barcelona crashed out

One thing is common here.... you know it already

Thegoodjoe how far...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:23am On Apr 18
Amedino99:
No matter how good guardiola's teams are, winning the UCL twice in a row is something they have never done. They can't even make the final twice. Couldn't do it with prime Messi, couldn't even get to the final with Bayern, and now man city.

I like where you are putting Guardiola. All that talk is just luck. It was penalties, not sabi. Madrid parked bus because they knew they were up against superior opponents. They did not forget the 4-0 we gave them last year.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:25am On Apr 18
Tactical fouls is part of the dark arts. But I won't argue it with you.

Anyway, A team that studies their opponents and adapt to that while applying tactical adaptability is not a team to be talked down on.

And let me be honest, I enjoyed the Man City vs Real Madrid game more than I did the Bayern vs Arsenal game. It was no bore fest.

TheGoodJoe:

Tactical fouls comes from playing a high line and leaving yourself exposed to create intrigue in play. It also for dominance. When you lose the ball on an exposed position, you foul. That is no dark art.

We are talking of 120 minutes of bore football.

I never want to see Manchester City play like that to win.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:25am On Apr 18
mostob:
City crashed out

Arsenal crashed out

Barcelona crashed out

Thegoodjoe how far...

You forgot.

Guardiola
Arteta
Enrique
Tuchel
Barcelona

All have one thing in common. They made Champions League quarter finals. That shows effectiveness.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Sugarboyy(m): 12:29am On Apr 18
TheGoodJoe:

How can I be a terrible loser? I am pro football and find park bus disgusting. I want good football and believe with time it will bring lots of success. Mbok, Madrid parked bus.
I need to come in here because I have been reading your arguments towards modern and football of old.
You are pro football and want good football, but you prefer modern footballers over footballers of old? Does modern footballers play good football?
Do you only watch matches at all or you just watch important matches and use stats afterwards to judge?
See, I have an extra view DStv at home and a single view in my office and most times only football piques my interest. There are no matches that are shown on supersport channels, including ESPN. From the EPL to Championship, to La liga, to Seria A and most times, ESPN shows Eredivisie or Belgium league, they also Shows Scottish League but few times... I do watch all of these matches lives, as they are played on TV.
Modern football and footballers are trash, majority of them have zero football talent. They are very less talented but only trained to play the supposedly beautiful game. All modern football and footballers are known for are pass, pass, pass, run, run, cross, cross, and head, or sometimes, shoot and it's a goal. As good as Bellingham is at Madrid right now, he won't make a starting 11 of the same Madrid midfield of old that has Zidane, Beckham, Guti, even Solari.
Or you want to talk about modern EPL defenders that you will be running at with the ball, they won't stand and face you, rather they would be running back and when you gets to their 18 yard box, they will slide you and that's a penalty. Are these the defenders you rate over defenders of old?

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:30am On Apr 18
So if I have a pistol and awaiting my bazooka in the summer and I am up against an opponent that has their own bazooka, I should go heads on, blaze fury right?

Won't I think of a way to adapt so I can cope with that firepower and stand a chance of winning?

Madrid successfully bypassed your pressing structure several times in the game. You miss that because all you wanted to see was "Park bus" when in fact, this was a true show of tactical defensive resoluteness against the Reigning Champs of Europe.

And they executed this approach without an actual striker/arrowhead.

TheGoodJoe:

I am not vexed at all and come on, Real Madrid were awful. There is nothing to praise or celebrate about it. They won, they were lucky. It had nothing to do with tactics. They knew they'd were going against a superior opponent and decided to seat back, hoping they win.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 12:34am On Apr 18
TheSuperNerd:
Honestly the talk of "Long term" should not dare come up when it concerns Madrid. They are masters of the Long term blueprint alongside instant success. They combine both approaches superbly.

Watching them post-CR7 sef and you can see how deliberate they still are in building and sustaining their winning culture. They are Mentality and Long-term Monsters.

grin The thing pain Joe enter medulla that's all

I have a theory that Joe and kome share the same cabinet for keeping their go-to diatribes
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:35am On Apr 18
@TheSuperNerd

Did you know Nuri Sahin is assistant manager of Borussia Dortmund. Keep an eye out for him.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:36am On Apr 18
TheSuperNerd:
So if I have a pistol and awaiting my bazooka in the summer and I am up against an opponent that has their own bazooka, I should go heads on, blaze fury right?

Won't I think of a way to adapt so I can cope with that firepower and stand a chance of winning?

Madrid successfully bypassed your pressing structure several times in the game. You miss that because all you wanted to see was "Park bus" when in fact, this was a true show of tactical defensive resoluteness against the Reigning Champs of Europe.

They played like scared ducks finally. 😂

You know it.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Odunayaw(m): 12:36am On Apr 18
Sugarboyy:

Modern football and footballers are trash, majority of them have zero football talent. They are very less talented but only trained to play the supposedly beautiful game.
Behold, Truth!

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:52am On Apr 18
Sugarboyy:

I need to come in here because I have been reading your arguments towards modern and football of old.
You are pro football and want good football, but you prefer modern footballers over footballers of old? Does modern footballers play good football?
Do you only watch matches at all or you just watch important matches and use stats afterwards to judge?
See, I have an extra view DStv at home and a single view in my office and most times only football piques my interest. There are no matches that are shown on supersport channels, including ESPN. From the EPL to Championship, to La liga, to Seria A and most times, ESPN shows Eredivisie or Belgium league, they also Shows Scottish League but few times... I do watch all of these matches lives, as they are played on TV.
Modern football and footballers are trash, majority of them have zero football talent. They are very less talented but only trained to play the supposedly beautiful game. All modern football and footballers are known for are pass, pass, pass, run, run, cross, cross, and head, or sometimes, shoot and it's a goal. As good as Bellingham is at Madrid right now, he won't make a starting 11 of the same Madrid midfield of old that has Zidane, Beckham, Guti, even Solari.
Or you want to talk about modern EPL defenders that you will be running at with the ball, they won't stand and face you, rather they would be running back and when you gets to their 18 yard box, they will slide you and that's a penalty. Are these the defenders you rate over defenders of old?

Nice input but you missed some things.

First, saying modern players don't have talent. Not true, it is because the game is more compact and with intensity. That is why it looks like if they don't have talent. Bring your classics, from Maradona, to Pele or Cruyff or Laudrup, and they would find it difficult to show talent in such circumstances.

Now you say all they do is run and pass. That is the only way to get the best out of the intense and Compaq system of today's football. If you try to hold the ball, you lose it.

Contrary, Jude Bellingham is a physical monster and I see him walking into that real Madrid galacticos team because none, none will be able to keep up with his stamina. Remember Zaragoza put 6 past the galacticos Madrid and Nedved and Edgar Davids tore them to shred with pure intensity.

Finally, I am yet to see quotes or article excerpts to support your claims. This is pure fantasy talk.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 12:53am On Apr 18
TheSuperNerd:

undecided

Finito.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:00am On Apr 18
mostob:
City crashed out

Arsenal crashed out

Barcelona crashed out

Thegoodjoe how far...

😂

So,

Manchester City
Barcelona
Arsenal
Dortmund
Bayern Munich
PSG

Six of the quarter finals teams are high possession teams. If you like learn, if you like argue, modern possessive play is flying high.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 1:06am On Apr 18
ManCity is the best team in the World.

What a performance tonight! What a team!

Madrid rode their luck. That is football for you!

With an enigma like Osimhen Madrid would have stood no chance.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Marjoribanks: 1:13am On Apr 18
Possession football depends on the players in your team. And it did not start with Pep-- Mr Genz.
It has being there since Pele to 1974 dutch team to Cryuff etc.
All top teams play possession football.
Tottenham is trying to play it but they lack the players and continues to pay the price with some ridiculous losses.

Nothing to sly others about. You not putting Madrid cos of tonight performance shows your hypocrisy.
TheGoodJoe:

😂

So,

Manchester City
Barcelona
Arsenal
Dortmund
Bayern Munich
PSG

Six of the quarter finals teams are high possession teams. If you like learn, if you like argue, modern possessive play is flying high.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:34am On Apr 18
Marjoribanks:
Possession football depends on the players in your team. And it did not start with Pep-- Mr Genz.
It has being there since Pele to 1974 dutch team to Cryuff etc.
All top teams play possession football.
Tottenham is trying to play it but they lack the players and continues to pay the price with some ridiculous losses.

Nothing to sly others about. You not putting Madrid cos of tonight performance shows your hypocrisy.

Does Real Madrid play possession football? Let me know then I will put them in my list.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:46am On Apr 18
So,

Manchester City
Barcelona
Arsenal
Dortmund
Bayern Munich
PSG
Real Madrid

So seven of the eight teams that made it to the champions League quarter finals are high possession playing sides.s

Finito.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:15am On Apr 18
Madrid also needed one or two of their big chances to go in and we won't have Penalties. Both teams had 3 big chances today and both teams missed 2 huge chances so whatever case Balague is making for City in terms of chances can also be made for Madrid.

In the end, Madrid won fair and square. Let it rest.

TheGoodJoe:

undecided

Finito.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:18am On Apr 18
They played like hardened Warriors. Man City have a long way to go to be on the level of the greatest team on the planet and in European football history. Show some respect.

TheGoodJoe:

They played like scared ducks finally. 😂

You know it.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:19am On Apr 18
Nuri has began getting his coaching badges? Interesting. Would be following.

TheGoodJoe:
@TheSuperNerd

Did you know Nuri Sahin is assistant manager of Borussia Dortmund. Keep an eye out for him.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:36am On Apr 18
TheSuperNerd:
They played like hardened Warriors. Man City have a long way to go to be on the level of the greatest team on the planet and in European football history. Show some respect.

😂

If that fear fear football is the way to go, I don't want. We keep doing it out way. We keep growing in class and quality.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:37am On Apr 18
TheSuperNerd:
Madrid also needed one or two of their big chances to go in and we won't have Penalties. Both teams had 3 big chances today and both teams missed 2 huge chances so whatever case Balague is making for City in terms of chances can also be made for Madrid.

In the end, Madrid won fair and square. Let it rest.

Madrid won by penalties. Apart from that, they were too scared to play because they know they were up against class.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:53am On Apr 18
Class and Quality are also synonymous with Real Madrid.

TheGoodJoe:

😂

If that fear fear football is the way to go, I don't want. We keep doing it out way. We keep growing in class and quality.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 3:55am On Apr 18
They had good chances to win it too like Man City in regulation time. Man City lost on penalties because they were poor in the PSO. Kudos to Madrid.
The game was Class vs Class. And Madrid won.

TheGoodJoe:

Madrid won by penalties. Apart from that, they were too scared to play because they know they were up against class.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 5:27am On Apr 18
grin
TheSuperNerd:

Most definitely.

#1 - Stanley Nwabali
#2 - Maduka Okoye
#3 - **A Strong NPFL GK**
#4 - Francis Uzoho/Adeleye Adebayo

Strong Possible: Arthur Okonkwo (once he completes his switch).

We eating good now in that GK dept.

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chuks404: 9:11am On Apr 18
TheGoodJoe:

what does that tell you? They are smarter. It shows adaptability. It mustnt be possession all the time. Even the city attacking thing is becoming boring in my eyes. Every game has its dynamics.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by do4luv14(m): 9:14am On Apr 18
Why is this mancity lose causing ripples here, it's not likeit was the SE that listed, it's man city, ahbi is this thread a citizenz Thread

BTW, I hear the SE Job is between Emma and Bruijs
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by comodo: 9:14am On Apr 18
mostob:
City crashed out

Arsenal crashed out

Barcelona crashed out

Thegoodjoe how far...
Tiki taka was cancelled by Kati Kati.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (16087) (16088) (16089) (16090) (16091) (16092) (16093) ... (16136) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: elyte89, Lawag3, freesinzu(m), codemaniacs, ChrisKels, TheGoodJoe(m), Freed2022, Napoleon55(m), Sugarboyy(m), Lyster360 and 4 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.