Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,610 members, 7,840,450 topics. Date: Sunday, 26 May 2024 at 05:35 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (1993) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11811386 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (1990) (1991) (1992) (1993) (1994) (1995) (1996) ... (16218) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 6:54pm On Nov 02, 2017
terzurum5:
Swansea Boss, Clement: I Didn’t Influence Abraham To Pick England Over Nigeria

Swansea manager, Paul Clement, has dismissed reports stating he influenced his loanee striker from Chelsea, Tammy Abraham, to choose England over Nigeria.

Abraham, 20, who is playing on loan for Swansea, was eligible to represent Nigeria and was reported to have held talks with Nigeria Football Federation President Amaju Pinick.

But on Thursday, Abraham got his first call-up with the England senior national team ahead of their two international friendlies against world champions Germany and Brazil.

According to bbc.com, Clement fielded question concerning Abraham’s invitation to the English team during his press conference on Thursday ahead of Swansea’s league game against Brighton, and dismissed talks of his involvement in the striker’s decision as nonsense. ‎

“I think he’ll cope well,” Clement said.

“He’s a confident young man. He needs to take it in his stride and stay grounded.

“I wasn’t involved in any discussion with Tammy about who he wanted to player for.

“I saw one report that I’d told him who to play for- that’s complete nonsense.”

Clement who was an assistant manager at Bayern Munich, Real Madrid and Paris Saint-Germain, expressed delight that Abraham finally got his first call-up.

He added:”It’s very pleasing news to see someone we’ve brought to the club on loan rewarded with his first call-up,” said Clement.

“His all-round game is developing, including back-to-goal and defensive positioning.

“We’ll have to see. Every level he’s played at he’s contributed. And now he’s got the next test. He’s been picked on merit and we wish him well.”

https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/swansea-boss-clement-didnt-influence-abraham-pick-england-nigeria/
wicked coach....
only God will judge you....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 7:00pm On Nov 02, 2017
Humility017:

Babe...na lie I talk if I say this thing nor pain me....

well such is life....
from the standby players...I will go with alhassan ..
otherwise Paul or kayode would have been better
no be the rejection dey pain me, na the rejection AFTER Pinnick had gone to see him and taken pictures, that is what is paining me.

In fact, I blame Pinnick for making a joke of us in the international football scene. The NFF President should never have been caught in such a position even if Tammy was his nephew.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 7:01pm On Nov 02, 2017
Humility017:

wicked coach....
lol...he was just doing his job
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Magink: 7:03pm On Nov 02, 2017
Humility017:

wicked coach....
Hahaha please lemme abeg
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kingphilip(m): 7:03pm On Nov 02, 2017
Joebie:
Iwobi wasn't that strong-willed as we may want to believe. He was already on his way to the airport. He had already made up his mind after some efforts at convincing him. Aina never got a look in by England for awhile. He waited in vain for an England call up. It was a case of no hope for England for him.

and you think all the names they've been reeling out without a call up for a while too will have taken that bold step?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 7:07pm On Nov 02, 2017
Humility017:

well such is life....

I swear e pain me die

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 7:08pm On Nov 02, 2017
Humility017:

wicked coach....

Take am easy grin

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 7:11pm On Nov 02, 2017
isan:
England 2 - 2 nigeria grin

You mean England has Dele Alli & Tammy AB while Nigeria has Iwobi and Aina?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by dkay51(m): 7:11pm On Nov 02, 2017
komekn:

My friend you are muddying the waters, the subject is best player selection by merit.

The discussion is not circumstances personal or otherwise but structure, definitive standards of measurement for the best quality players. The removal of sentiment and the enthronement of merit without question. Let the best players come in no sentiment.

People left Nigeria direct and went to French league, Belgium league, Portuguese league, Italian league. So if you find yourself in the backwaters of Europe it's nobody fault. Life is tough and unfair it's just how it is.

Under no circumstances do we circumvent standards for anybody irrespective of circumstances. One player bypassing the standards is one too many. It us unfair, unjustifiable and not right, no apologies.

If you find objective merit based selection as condescending then I have nothing to say. The EPL is the most competitive league in the World if not the best so what's wrong with the pursuit of excellence

Finally, I am probably more Nigerian conversant than you. Naija no far from me. Dont assume that I don't have am indepth understanding and empathy for the dynamics and struggles in Nigeria. I still can leave Ocean view drive to Okirigwe jnct and eat starch and owo with my hands.

I just will not compromise my integrity, if that makes me Un-Nigerain in your book. Once again no apology.

So to you being Nigerian means being corrupt. Wow, you should write a book!

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 7:13pm On Nov 02, 2017
Magink:

Mz Safari he was this close to playing for us and I blame Pinnick, he should learn from Senegal and Morocco, it's all on him

I am glad Pinnick made his discussion with Tammy public. He made us dodge a bullet. We need only those who are committed to our flag. Nothing else.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:15pm On Nov 02, 2017
Oviemuno Ejaria likes this:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 7:16pm On Nov 02, 2017
Is there any possibility that Tammy could still pay for Nigeria? Can any of his family members be influenced or even KIDNAPPED so he can rescind his English dream?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by solonnachi: 7:19pm On Nov 02, 2017
Joebie:

This Ejaria guy also wants England

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 7:20pm On Nov 02, 2017
Mickael2:

if not for anyother thing I love your sense of humour grin all your comments usually have a funny part

My brother, what's there to gain by taking life too serious? grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 7:21pm On Nov 02, 2017
solonnachi:
Is there any possibility that Tammy could still pay for Nigeria? Can any of his family members be influenced or even KIDNAPPED so he can rescind his English dream?
Is he really worth the headache?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 7:23pm On Nov 02, 2017
It is a dilemma for kids born abroad. They have 2 identities.

As much as possible, i want to raise my kids with a stronger Nigerian identity. If any of them play sports, i would love them to play for Nigeria rather than America but the Nigerian system makes things difficult. Otigba refused an invitation from Hungary in favor of Nigeria, he was never invited even when he was in a decent league. We preferred Egwuekwe who was not as good...

Look at Gloria Alozie who ditched Nigeria after winning athletics medals. We just frustrate people who genuinely have the passion to serve Nigeria.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 7:25pm On Nov 02, 2017
I have a feeling Pinick was referring to Tammy's younger brother when he talked about having fruitful talks with the Abrahams.

Tammy's younger brother could be the real deal. I like the look of him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 7:25pm On Nov 02, 2017
solonnachi:

I don't think so
this ejaria guy follows anything Nigerian football
if we want to cap him right now no problem with that
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 7:26pm On Nov 02, 2017
dkay51:

So to you being Nigerian means being corrupt. Wow, you should write a book!
leave that one.

He knows nothing about being Nigerian, he paints us all with the same brush, but claims to understand the struggle. In his mind now, he is not corrupt.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:26pm On Nov 02, 2017
before.. if the chance no come, Nigeria.. who no like better thing?

solonnachi:

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 7:27pm On Nov 02, 2017
goldfish80:
I have a feeling Pinick was referring to Tammy's younger brother when he talked about having fruitful talks with the Abrahams.

Tammy's younger brother could be the real deal. I like the look of him.
now, it's his younger brother?

Okay, we dey watch...another Boateng brothers situation

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:28pm On Nov 02, 2017
Humility017:

well such is life....
Sorry. I know say all the gusto wey you take dey say Tammy go, go na pain cause am. E no pain me sha.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:29pm On Nov 02, 2017
When all hope is lost, yes they will.. Na all about belief. We already went far with Iwobi. It was too late for England. no be bold step. Let's stop deceiving ourselves.
kingphilip:
and you think all the names they've been reeling out without a call up for a while too will have taken that bold step?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:31pm On Nov 02, 2017
There is nothing to defend there.. Abi na u wan make decision for am. Have u been in that situation before? Will u have chosen Nigeria over England in this circumstances?

safarigirl:
all this long story to defend Tammy, una just dey cry upandan grin....e don do abeg.

Make we dey think who go fit replace Ighalo, that is our immediate problem, not Tammy
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:32pm On Nov 02, 2017
Thank you my brother!!
tbaba1234:
It is a dilemma for kids born abroad. They have 2 identities.

As much as possible, i want to raise my kids with a stronger Nigerian identity. If any of them play sports, i would love them to play for Nigeria rather than America but the Nigerian system makes things difficult. Otigba refused an invitation from Hungary in favor of Nigeria, he was never invited even when he was in a decent league. We preferred Egwuekwe who was not as good...

Look at Gloria Alozie who ditched Nigeria after winning athletics medals. We just frustrate people who genuinely have the passion to serve Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:32pm On Nov 02, 2017
jotey:

I swear e pain me die
So all this time that you've been sparring with me on this Tammy matter you really desired him to play for us. I see. Online communication is really one half of communication. Nothing beats face to face talk

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jotey(m): 7:32pm On Nov 02, 2017
Sheyi ojo commented on Tammy Abraham's post

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:33pm On Nov 02, 2017
jotey:

Take am easy grin
you won't understand... if oppoortuned to see that Clement...I won't leave him without a fight....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 7:34pm On Nov 02, 2017
Joebie:
There, you have it, your much sought after quote. Oya say byeeee Tammy.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:36pm On Nov 02, 2017
e don enter God matter?

Humility017:

wicked coach....

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Humility017(m): 7:36pm On Nov 02, 2017
jotey:
Sheyi ojo commented on Tammy Abraham's post

it shows sheyi ojo is still eyeinh England call up....
God sees my heart...I will surely have an e-war without anyone here who dare talk about sheyi ojo some thing here....

all this boys are all eyeing 3 lions...and some monikers here...rather than focus on realities will be littering the thread with this English born players.....
especially sir komekn and forgiveness....

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Joebie: 7:37pm On Nov 02, 2017
E go happy before na.. after rising the ranks of the junior team, to cap it up with a senior team call up at age 20, is a big achievement. How would you feel...?
He also felt flattered by Nigerian interests haha
Mujtahida:

There, you have it, your much sought after quote. Oya say byeeee Tammy.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (1990) (1991) (1992) (1993) (1994) (1995) (1996) ... (16218) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Kingjite1, Philosopher1979, KpagoGIN(m) and 8 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.