Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,597 members, 7,812,955 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:36 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (362) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11619272 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (359) (360) (361) (362) (363) (364) (365) ... (16133) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:45pm On Dec 02, 2016
How time changes. So Guardiola and his technical crew are working out a strategy to stop the Inform Victor Moses. undecided

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by maidaboi(m): 11:24pm On Dec 02, 2016
hi friends
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:30pm On Dec 02, 2016
maidaboi:
hi friends

What's Up. Hope you had a good day. .
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by ChrisKels: 12:48am On Dec 03, 2016
Chai this thread has been deserted. Please we shouldn't do a kickoffnigeria here, we should strive to keep this thread alive bikonu. Am begging each an every one of you to let go off ur grudges and come back to keep this train moving. I believe we are a family plz.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Certitude(m): 6:37am On Dec 03, 2016
TheSuperNerd. I hope there ain't no problem. Seems someone doesn't know you are the pillar of this thread.
Abeg forget the fair-weather fans and do this for us. please...

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 6:39am On Dec 03, 2016
ChrisKels:
Chai this thread has been deserted. Please we shouldn't do a kickoffnigeria here, we should strive to keep this thread alive bikonu. Am begging each an every one of you to let go off ur grudges and come back to keep this train moving. I believe we are a family plz.

We did not desert the thread. We dey.

You can start up a controvercial topic like Mikel is not.....Iheanacho is not....Onazi is not....or Ajagun is not..... and you'll see all the Lions come out to form Voltron(the defender of the players) grin

Happy Weekend all.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Petrobros: 7:08am On Dec 03, 2016
The thing is some people just naturally cannot say a sentence or respond to others without insults.

I have been on this thread from almost its inception and I know the character of almost every1 here.

I have also noticed some small-small groups of permanent allies. They will never see anything wrong in any comment made by a member of that gang.

Some peeps have been like sworn enemies in arguments that they can never agree.

Some people jst love a particular set of players for instance the Manu boys. Some love only the foreign born while some love the home groomed.

Some jst chose some set of players to lash while some can give their lives to defend some certain players.

We are all guilty of atleast one of these.

I have seen different schools of thought. Different coaching philosophies.
From the elders to the indomie generation.

The thread is still very much alive. The level of civility in this thread is next to none. The arguments have been top notch.

Lets keep the flag flying.

6 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba12345: 8:06am On Dec 03, 2016
The growth of Ndidi, I believe is a model for every young player..

Start with a team that gives you the chance to play and improve, then move to a better side. Ndidi is not going to Leicester as a youngster but as an established Pro. If he can have 2-3 solid seasons at leicester, then he can win an even bigger move.

When he gets to a big club, he will be a seasoned Pro.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 8:55am On Dec 03, 2016
Supernerd where are you? Hope you have not gone AWOL cos of the heated exchanges some days back. We are family members and more importantly guys. Let's all go on. Everyone is needed here-The more the merrier please.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:10am On Dec 03, 2016
tbaba12345:

Start with a team that gives you the chance to play and improve, then move to a better side. Ndidi is not going to Leicester as a youngster but as an established Pro. If he can have 2-3 solid seasons at leicester, then he can win an even bigger move.

Definitely, it is a nice path that leads to growth but other factors come in. It is not just landing at the small club but also meeting a coach who has the ability to groom the player. Like the player to give him a fair Crack when he is ready.

Some of our bright and brilliant young talents like Chidera Ezeh and Mikel Agu are not growing at the rate of Ndidi.

John Mikel Obi grew at a fast rate, despite landing at a very big club young.

Iheanacho grew fast at a Big club.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 9:10am On Dec 03, 2016
Just this morning I was watching some clips on YouTube and I watched a video on great passers of the ball- Beckham, Xavi, Ronaldinho etc. But Beckham was the pick of the pack. I recall also that our own George Finidi at one time was voted the best 7 in the world. Luis Figo too in his time also had that distinction. The point I want to make is that I have noticed that wingers this days tend to want to dribble all the way rather than lay crosses that sweep across the face of the goal of the opposing team. Why is this so now?

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:54am On Dec 03, 2016
Mujtahida:
Just this morning I was watching some clips on YouTube and I watched a video on great passers of the ball- Beckham, Xavi, Ronaldinho etc. But Beckham was the pick of the pack. I recall also that our own George Finidi at one time was voted the best 7 in the world. Luis Figo too in his time also had that distinction. The point I want to make is that I have noticed that wingers this days tend to want to dribble all the way rather than lay crosses that sweep across the face of the goal of the opposing team. Why is this so now?

Everyone want to dribble 4 defenders and then, score

Dats d order of d day
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 9:56am On Dec 03, 2016
tbaba12345:

That's why I tell goodjoe that his path for Kelechi can spell doom. Would Ndidi have been better off training with Bruyne and Yaya while they carve a seat for him on the Man City bench? What happened to Fernando? What about Delph?

Happy for Ndidi.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 9:59am On Dec 03, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Definitely, it is a nice path that leads to growth but other factors come in. It is not just landing at the small club but also meeting a coach who has the ability to groom the player. Like the player to give him a fair Crack when he is ready.

Some of our bright and brilliant young talents like Chidera Ezeh and Mikel Agu are not growing at the rate of Ndidi.

John Mikel Obi grew at a fast rate, despite landing at a very big club young.

Iheanacho grew fast at a Big club.
Hmmm...have you forgotten that Mikel played for a small club in Europe, Lyn Oslo?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheTega(m): 10:11am On Dec 03, 2016
Mikel Obi started at Lyn Oslo, and oh my word, he was a special kid.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:12am On Dec 03, 2016
Ebuehi should fight for his place........dats interesting smiley

Dutch Nigerian Ebuehi Is Behind Omeruo, Shehu & Ndidi – Rohr

Despite confirming assurances from the parents of Tyroone Ebuehi that the Dutch-Nigerian full back will honour the next call up he gets from Nigeria, coach Gernot Rohr insist he must fight for his shirt.

Ebuehi turned down the chance to be part of the Nigerian team that defeated Algeria 3-1 in the World Cup 2018 qualifiers, insisting on focusing on his club career with his Dutch side ADO Den Haag.

However Rohr confirmed that he has gotten assurances from the parents of the 20 year old that he will honour Nigeria’s call, the next time an invitation is extended to him.

” It’s true that his parents gave me assurances on his readiness to play for Nigeria, the next time he is called up. That doesn’t mean he will automatically pick up a shirt” Rohr told Owngoalnigeria.com.

” He will have to fight for the right back slot with Wilfred Ndidi, Kenneth Omeruo and even Shehu Abdullahi. They all did well in the games we have played even though it’s not their natural position”.

http://owngoalnigeria.com/2016/12/03/dutch-nigerian-ebuehi-is-behind-omeruo-shehu-ndidi-rohr/

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:25am On Dec 03, 2016
tbaba12345:

Not all players will take that path.

Yorubas would say "Ona kan o lo 'ja". Meaning " severall roads lead to the market".

Some players are bound to start from big clubs.

And let me also state here that most of the players Ndidi played with at the 2013 AYC and WYC have also progressed far. Players like Olanrewaju Kayode,Abdul Ajagun,Michael Olaitan, Moses Simon, Usman Aminu, Shehu Abdullahi, Usman Muhammed, Uche Agbo were his team mates who also are nt doing badly. So no be only Ndidi.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:26am On Dec 03, 2016
joseph1013:
Hmmm...have you forgotten that Mikel played for a small club in Europe, Lyn Oslo?

Actually, Mikel did not have playing time under Lyn Oslo due to the legal battle between Manchester United and Chelsea. If my memory serves me right, Mikel left Oslo to train at Plateau United during that period to keep fit.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:30am On Dec 03, 2016
joseph1013:
That's why I tell goodjoe that his path for Kelechi can spell doom. Would Ndidi have been better off training with Bruyne and Yaya while they carve a seat for him on the Man City bench? What happened to Fernando? What about Delph?

Happy for Ndidi.

Yes. If Ndidi was training regularly with the likes of Fernandinho, Silva and Gundogan would be better than he is now. Did you not see when I said, I see Ndidi improving at Leicester City. It is because he will work in a better environment and a coach who has experience working with top quality players.

Ranieri coached at Chelsea, Valencia, Juventus and Roma before Leicester City. I see Ranieri raising Ndidi's game.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 10:40am On Dec 03, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Yes. If Ndidi was training regularly with the likes of Fernandinho, Silva and Gundogan would be better than he is now. Did you not see when I said, I see Ndidi improving at Leicester City. It is because he will work in a better environment and a coach who has experience working with top quality players.

Ranieri coached at Chelsea, Valencia, Juventus and Roma before Leicester City. I see Ranieri raising Ndidi's game.
You can deceive yourself sha. So why is Leicester buying Ndidi instead of Fernando who has trained under Pep?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Kog45(m): 10:42am On Dec 03, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

My guy u and this your training philosophy get as ebi

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:42am On Dec 03, 2016
joseph1013:
You can deceive yourself sha. So why is Leicester buying Ndidi instead of Fernando who has trained under Pep?

grin grin baba don vex
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:44am On Dec 03, 2016
Mujtahida:

We still had the likes of Overmars, Tijani Babangida, Zenden and Ronald De Boer who were awesome wingers. They dribbled down the line and crossed.

So it was still mixed.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:53am On Dec 03, 2016
joseph1013:

I do not understand your statement.

Fernando

Honours
Club
Porto
UEFA Europa League: 2010–11
Primeira Liga: 2008–09, 2010–11, 2011–12, 2012–13
Taça de Portugal: 2009–10, 2010–11
Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
UEFA Super Cup: Runner-up 2011
Taça da Liga: Runner-up 2009–10, 2012–13

Manchester City
Football League Cup: 2015–16

Country
South American Youth Championship: 2007

Fernando had a nice career so far. He is playing for Manchester City. What is he looking for at Leicester City? Na wa.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 10:54am On Dec 03, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

We still had the likes of Overmars, Tijani Babangida, Zenden and Ronald De Boer who were awesome wingers. They dribbled down the line and crossed.

So it was still mixed.
The dribblers predominate now. From Victor Moses to Navas to Neymar to Bale. You rarely see that scintillating sweeping pin point cross. Is this what the coaches tell them- to dribble down the line? I should not be mistaken as being against dribblers. I do like dribblers but seems on the wings a cross is more effective than the energy it takes to dribble and then square pass or give a cut back.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 10:59am On Dec 03, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I do not understand your statement.

Fernando

Honours
Club
Porto
UEFA Europa League: 2010–11
Primeira Liga: 2008–09, 2010–11, 2011–12, 2012–13
Taça de Portugal: 2009–10, 2010–11
Supertaça Cândido de Oliveira: 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
UEFA Super Cup: Runner-up 2011
Taça da Liga: Runner-up 2009–10, 2012–13

Manchester City
Football League Cup: 2015–16

Country
South American Youth Championship: 2007

Fernando had a nice career so far. He is playing for Manchester City. What is he looking for at Leicester City? Na wa.
You're probably not understanding me. Fernando is not a team regular at City and thus if he is a good player who has improved like you said, he would have suitors. Just look at Mikel. It is reported that 13 clubs are after him. Is Besiktas better than Chelsea?

Leicester is not playing well and need a defensive midfielder badly. If Fernando is that improved and has become a great player in training (even when we can't see that in the very few times he's played), why is Leicester not going for him? You can't keep a very improved player not playing for long.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 10:59am On Dec 03, 2016
Mujtahida:

The dribblers predominate now. From Victor Moses to Navas to Neymar to Bale. You rarely see that scintillating sweeping pin point cross. Is this what the coaches tell them- to dribble down the line? I should not be mistaken as being against dribblers. I do like dribblers but seems on the wings a cross is more effective than the energy it takes to dribble and then square pass or give a cut back.

It is more of an alignment to the modern game. Today, we hardly have teams setting up in the traditional formations. For instance, Pellegrini uses attack midfielders on the wings, close to the central midfielders and attackers to promote fluidity than individual plays.

Enrique utilises wide wing strikers, so they dribble in to connect with the attack and pair with the Wing backs.

Most coaches align their players in the modern strategies because of recent results. It does not mean the traditional ways are wrong. The players today are birth from the modern game.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 11:02am On Dec 03, 2016
joseph1013:
You're probably not understanding me. Fernando is not a team regular at City and thus if he is a good player who has improved like you said, he would Jane suitors. Just look at Mikel. It is reported that 13 clubs are after him. Is Besiktas better than Chelsea?

Leicester is not playing well and need a defensive midfielder badly. If Fernando is that improved and has become a great player in training (even when we can't see that in the very few times he's played), why is Leicester not going for him? You can't keep a very improved player not playing for long.

Fernando is not ready at this time to leave working with Guardiola to gain regular time at Leicester City. Ndidi is building his career. Mikel is a legend. Different scenarios and options. Mikel's option will determine how he wants to steer his career.

Mikel and Fernando's cases are different. Fernando sees games. He is in Manchester City Champions League team. Mikel is not even in the sub list of the EFL Cup.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by joseph1013: 11:08am On Dec 03, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Fernando is not ready at this time to leave working with Guardiola to gain regular time at Leicester City. Ndidi is building his career. Mikel is a legend. Different scenarios and options. Mikel's option will determine how he wants to steer his career.

Mikel and Fernando's cases are different. Fernando sees games. He is in Manchester City Champions League team. Mikel is not even in the sub list of the EFL Cup.
So to you, Fernando is better than Ndidi because he trains with Pep? Well-done!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AIG07: 11:50am On Dec 03, 2016
Mujtahida:
Yes! That's d order of d day now.
Football is fast evolving. From d traditional 4-4-2 formation to 4-2-3-1 and even now clubs(most esp english teams) are adopting d 3-4-3 formation-it's coming to stay after a fail trial by LVG but Conte's rejuvenated team has given an hint that it's workable.

So, to crossing wingers. Team play has changed.
Modern day Wingers(as said by TheGoodJoe) are no longer left with d sole role of touchline running n crossing as seen in d last decade. A modern day winger must have d ability to skip past markers, dribble, 'cut-in' and shoots.

Though de seldomly cross but that's when d team are in dire need of a goal towards d end of match.

Well, no matter how obsolete a tradition can be there'll still be some traces of it. I think some f d German bundesliga(wolfsburg), Italia Seria A teams still play this style of football.

Though it's becoming boring when compared to d modern style and some coaches employ t to frustrate their opponents-since d larger part of d game is about ariel balls.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mujtahida: 12:17pm On Dec 03, 2016
AIG07:

Yes! That's d order of d day now.
Football is fast evolving. From d traditional 4-4-2 formation to 4-2-3-1 and even now clubs(most esp english teams) are adopting d 3-4-3 formation-it's coming to stay after a fail trial by LVG but Conte's rejuvenated team has given an hint that it's workable.

So, to crossing wingers. Team play has changed.
Modern day Wingers(as said by TheGoodJoe) are no longer left with d sole role of touchline running n crossing as seen in d last decade. A modern day winger must have d ability to skip past markers, dribble, 'cut-in' and shoots.

Though de seldomly cross but that's when d team are in dire need of a goal towards d end of match.

Well, no matter how obsolete a tradition can be there'll still be some traces of it. I think some f d German bundesliga(wolfsburg), Italia Seria A teams still play this style of football.

Though it's becoming boring when compared to d modern style and some coaches employ t to frustrate their opponents-since d larger part of d game is about ariel balls.
Thank you for explaining this much

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (359) (360) (361) (362) (363) (364) (365) ... (16133) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: lordofstrings, COOL10(m), Kingjite1, Friday03 and 9 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.