Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,949 members, 7,828,331 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 08:29 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (44) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11745540 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) ... (16179) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:20pm On Sep 06, 2016
goldfish80:

Quote by Mario mandzukich on our Lord Pep Guardiola. Astonishing to know that pep went out of his way to make sure he didn't end the season as the top scorer. Its very petty of the greatest manager of men. He's like a school girl.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2812699/Pep-Guardiola-disrespectful-deserved-better-insists-Mario-Mandzukic.html

You can see, another player he dropped.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:25pm On Sep 06, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

He sent spies to make sure Pique wasn't partying at night. Pep is a mad scientist lol i love him though, up barca!

People like you fill me with Joy.

See, I was in a bar watching Manchester City vs Sunderland this season. Someone asks me, what is Guardiola's problem with Joe Hart.

I said, "People think it is just footwork but Guardiola likes discipline. He has seen Joe Hart likes groove."

I never heard or read what you posted but it links my suspicion.

Thanks and Fanstastic post.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:33pm On Sep 06, 2016
goldfish80:

Quote by Mario mandzukich on our Lord Pep Guardiola. Astonishing to know that pep went out of his way to make sure he didn't end the season as the top scorer. Its very petty of the greatest manager of men. He's like a school girl.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2812699/Pep-Guardiola-disrespectful-deserved-better-insists-Mario-Mandzukic.html

Dimitar Berbatov says he has lost respect for Sir Alex Ferguson

"I don't think I deserved such treatment at United – not playing in the last year," said Berbatov. "I went more than 10, probably 15, times to ask the coach if they need me. And every time I was told that I'm an important player and should not leave, but then again I was not in the team.

"Maybe I should've gone when he [Ferguson] left me out of the squad for the Champions League final [in 2011]. I know he's the boss, but he has lost, to some extent, my respect because of the way he treated me."
https://www.theguardian.com/football/2012/sep/03/dimitar-berbatov-respect-alex-ferguson

I guess we should lose our respect for Ferguson. Players feel bad when dropped. It I not bad man management.

Guardiola makes tough decisions to favor the team. That is good management.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 3:47pm On Sep 06, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

are u saying Pep is "god" he is not saying Pep can't manage Balloteli, all these players have been lauded by other coaches. There is no reason to keep this arguement going.

I wonder where you got the idea that I think Pep is a god. I do not and never think he is.

I said he is a genius. A brilliant manager. One of the best in this era. I believe you agree with that.

If Pep was a god, Enrique's Barcelona Will Not defeat Bayern Munich under Guardiola 3-0 in a match.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 5:35pm On Sep 06, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Do you have an opinion of yours?

Guardiola changed Lahm from a right back to a defensive midfielder. He did well and the German national team adopted the strategy to the European and World Cup winning German team.

That is one of the reasons I think Guardiola is brilliant.

I said before the Zlatan was not ready for change. I read his comments and in my opinion, if Zlatan listened to Guardiola he would have improved. Those who did like Alaba, Messi, Lahm and Dani Alves improved.

You see my opinion of what Zlatan said.

What is your opinion?
keep Alaba and Lahm outside lord Guardiola achievements
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lordabas: 6:14pm On Sep 06, 2016
daveP:
Lol

Stones o, Pebble o, Chris Rock o,

all I know is that some very good defenders never get the chance some half-naked defenders get on the world stage.

If Stones give Pep his points then he'll be considered world class of course.

But Leon and Troost

Mainz and Haugesund

Germany and Norway

These two CBs will one day be Africa's best partnership of they are well utilized.

It was just Tanzania o. A team that only knew how to defend, zero attacking sense. Their partnership is yet to be tested. Even Omeruo and Oboabona will look like top class CBs against them.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon79(m): 6:38pm On Sep 06, 2016
This is supposed to be the Super Eagles Thread, but some folks have turned it into a Pep Guardiola thread.

Moderator(s), please can you do your job? If anyone wants to discuss Pep, they can create a thread on that topic.

O pari
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 6:57pm On Sep 06, 2016
zicky:
keep Alaba and Lahm outside lord Guardiola achievements

So tell me who played Alaba and Lahm in midfield first.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 7:40pm On Sep 06, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I wonder where you got the idea that I think Pep is a god. I do not and never think he is.

I said he is a genius. A brilliant manager. One of the best in this era. I believe you agree with that.

If Pep was a god, Enrique's Barcelona Will Not defeat Bayern Munich under Guardiola 3-0 in a match.
then why are we fussing? That is the exact point the guy is trying to prove to u but u won't give in. Pep is great coach but he has faults.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 8:27pm On Sep 06, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

we have always know Alaba n Lahm to be. Versatile, Alaba as the captain of Austria has always played in the midfield for his country, lahm is just like baines of everton looking at them play you know they will be good in midfield

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by lakesidepapa(m): 9:39pm On Sep 06, 2016
You guys should take it cool with Oga Joe, the arguments is too much and it's not helping as far as this trend is concern. Biko
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Tomtoxic: 11:04pm On Sep 06, 2016
oga goodjoe and his love for pep abeg make una allow super eagles reign for this thread now
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 11:27pm On Sep 06, 2016
Lordabas:

It was just Tanzania o. A team that only knew how to defend, zero attacking sense. Their partnership is yet to be tested. Even Omeruo and Oboabona will look like top class CBs against them.
Individually they are good, that's why I use future tense for both of them.

Besides, we can just have attack-minded defenders when we don't have a recovery pattern yet. I'm sure you know they were simply playing to instructions.

They can't just be Puyol, Kosxielny, Pique, John Terry Overnight. Time will tell.

For now, let's appreciate the fact that we weren't subjected to yoboic(hearts in our mouth, blood in our brain) play as we formerly saw.

Ramon Azeez scored@club to remind Iheanacho that twas him that scored that kinda goal first at u-17 world Cup.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 11:52pm On Sep 06, 2016
nawa o. we might need a jury to pass a verdict.

But seriously speaking, Based on only Eto's account, I'll agree Pep isn't good one-one with his players.

i'd have imagined what the opinion wouldave been if he came across Jay Jay. But lo, we have him and Nacho, let's see how he treats Nigerians MVP this season.

3leagues have their best players complain of you an d they exit? Boils down to philosophy, but there's a way to impart philosophy and make heroes leave like heroes.

let's see how he treats Nacho, that's my own business for now. If he likes, do whatever he can with Man City, just let's see how Nacho fares.

current status- bench looker. (shrugs) time dey!!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 1:58am On Sep 07, 2016
BascoVanVeli:

then why are we fussing? That is the exact point the guy is trying to prove to u but u won't give in. Pep is great coach but he has faults.

He said, Pep Is A bad man manager. How does that equate me seeing Guardiola as a god.

I am explaining how good someone is. Countering the points which are not true like the man manager issue.

That is not seeing Pep as a god or thinking he has no faults. I already explained a fault I noticed. He is not good at telling people their faults or what he does not like about them. He finds a way to let the person go.

There was no point of me putting Pep on godly grounds.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:07am On Sep 07, 2016
daveP:
nawa o. we might need a jury to pass a verdict.

But seriously speaking, Based on only Eto's account, I'll agree Pep isn't good one-one with his players.

i'd have imagined what the opinion wouldave been if he came across Jay Jay. But lo, we have him and Nacho, let's see how he treats Nigerians MVP this season.

3leagues have their best players complain of you an d they exit? Boils down to philosophy, but there's a way to impart philosophy and make heroes leave like heroes.

let's see how he treats Nacho, that's my own business for now. If he likes, do whatever he can with Man City, just let's see how Nacho fares.

current status- bench looker. (shrugs) time dey!!!

When it comes to Pep, it is simple. Keep changing. Keep listening to his advices and applying them everyday.

I noticed this from Nasri. Pep said he was overweight, changed his diet (the team not just Nasri).

When Nasri came on in the last match. He looked different. He also played Nasri in the false 9 position. Something I noticed while Nasri was at Arsenal. In the box, Nasri looks like a Super Star.

Nasri's performance is the best I have seen.

When a player has it his own way, do not listen. Eats the burgers, if Pep finds out, he would not start talking to you. He will cut you off.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 2:09am On Sep 07, 2016
zicky:
we have always know Alaba n Lahm to be. Versatile, Alaba as the captain of Austria has always played in the midfield for his country, lahm is just like baines of everton looking at them play you know they will be good in midfield

I did not see who first played Alaba and Lahm in midfield first in your post.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by tbaba1234: 3:05am On Sep 07, 2016
I also feel Pep is a bad man manager but he is an exceptional coach that produces results. That covers for his lapses.

Not every player will have the best impression of you but Pep has had too many issues with former players.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:18am On Sep 07, 2016
tbaba1234:
I also feel Pep is a bad man manager but he is an exceptional coach that produces results. That covers for his lapses.

Not every player will have the best impression of you but Pep has had too many issues with former players.

You feel he is a bad man manager because of the ill feelings from players he dropped?

I do not think that constitutes a bad man manager. I think a good man manager has to do with the players on field, the coach uses and how they perform.

It is like saying a child who passed his exam in flying colors murmuring that the teacher was too harsh on him is a bad teacher.

Efan Ekoku missed a one on one chance in Tunisia '94 and that was the last time I saw him play for Nigeria. Westerhof dropped him and used Yekini more up front.

Yekini was a hit. Will you say because he dropped Ekoku he is a bad man manager?

If Muller complains of Guardiola not talking with them, does that constitute a bad manager or how successful they were with Guardiola.

Guardiola brings out the best in the players he works with. That is because of sound man management.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 4:24am On Sep 07, 2016
tbaba1234:

If Guardiola did not want to use Eto'o or Mandzukic and he dropped them. Their murmuring does not show Pep is a bad man manager.

I think it is his work with those he picks to play for him that counts if he is a bad man manager. He did not sign Mandzukic and Mandzukic was not in his plans. Mandzukic feeling bad does not count as bad man management.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 7:36am On Sep 07, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

I did not see who first played Alaba and Lahm in midfield first in your post.
Alaba has always played in midfield for his country even before Guardiola coming, watch the 2013 championship league lahm some times move to the middle. So Guardiola did nothing special on those two players
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Lordabas: 7:56am On Sep 07, 2016
daveP:
Individually they are good, that's why I use future tense for both of them.

Besides, we can just have attack-minded defenders when we don't have a recovery pattern yet. I'm sure you know they were simply playing to instructions.

They can't just be Puyol, Kosxielny, Pique, John Terry Overnight. Time will tell.

For now, let's appreciate the fact that we weren't subjected to yoboic(hearts in our mouth, blood in our brain) play as we formerly saw.

Ramon Azeez scored@club to remind Iheanacho that twas him that scored that kinda goal first at u-17 world Cup.
Leon is good but i'm not yet sold on troost ekong, look at the calibre and number of goals the olympic team conceded.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 8:08am On Sep 07, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

If Guardiola did not want to use Eto'o or Mandzukic and he dropped them. Their murmuring does not show Pep is a bad man manager.

I think it is his work with those he picks to play for him that counts if he is a bad man manager. He did not sign Mandzukic and Mandzukic was not in his plans. Mandzukic feeling bad does not count as bad man management.

Dropping players is not the issue here bit the manner he does that.
You don't avoid talking to someone for a whole year because you want to drop him. Like in Eto's case he talked to him 3 times throughout the season. In one of those three times, he wanted to tell Eto how to move, he rightly told him to fvck off!
Manzukich was the top scorer and champions league winner before he joined, he abruptly stopped talking to him and went out of his way to ensure he does not end the season as the top scorer. You can't be a good manager of men and avoid talking to your wards for whatever reason.

I used to see you as an intelligent guy but am very surprised you're still running with this your line of argument all week. Very shocking.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:33am On Sep 07, 2016
goldfish80:

Like in Eto's case he talked to him 3 times throughout the season. In one of those three times, he wanted to tell Eto how to move, he rightly told him to fvck off!

I used to see you as an intelligent guy but am very surprised you're still running with this your line of argument all week. Very shocking.

I am not begging you to see me as intelligent. Let us discuss the points.

You have your opinion. I can disagree with them but one thing I do not fail to do is tell you why I disagree with them.

Now read the above. He told his coach F-ck off. That says it all. Guardiola studies and as I said, if a player does not fit what he wants, he drops the player. Eto'o was going. The question is why.

From the report above, Guardiola wanted to show him how to move. If Eto'o listened, he would get better but he was not ready to learn. When once Guardiola notices it, he looks for those ready to listen to him and conform.

When he told Messi, stop fatty foods, Messi did. When he told Messi, no more late nights watching Argentine football, Messi did. When he said, Messi I am switching you from a wing striker, Messi did it. When he said, Messi you will eat lots of fish and foods rich in fatty acids, Messi did.

It is not all about talent and history. As I said before, if Zlatan listened to Guardiola, he would have improved.

These guys refused to change and Guardiola's system relies on lots of changes. This season, he started with Fernando and Delph training with the defence. If you can not conform, you go.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:40am On Sep 07, 2016
zicky:
Alaba has always played in midfield for his country even before Guardiola coming, watch the 2013 championship league lahm some times move to the middle. So Guardiola did nothing special on those two players

I still ask the same question. Who was the person to first play Alaba in midfield? The name
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:46am On Sep 07, 2016
goldfish80:

Dropping players is not the issue here bit the manner he does that.
You don't avoid talking to someone for a whole year because you want to drop him. Like in Eto's case he talked to him 3 times throughout the season. In one of those three times, he wanted to tell Eto how to move, he rightly told him to fvck off!
Manzukich was the top scorer and champions league winner before he joined, he abruptly stopped talking to him and went out of his way to ensure he does not end the season as the top scorer. You can't be a good manager of men and avoid talking to your wards for whatever reason.

I doubt you judge a coach by those who do not want to listen to him. Judge him by his effect of those who are ready to listen to him.

Gundogan, Jones, Nolito all said they came to Man City to work with Guardiola.

Guardiola might play Gundogan as a creative attack midfielder. If he listens, we might witness something special. Those that do not has to go.

Takes me to Iheanacho.

He trained at Barcelona academy, he trained at Columbus Crew in America. He has worked with Patrick Vieira, worked with some coaches at Manchester City Etihad Campus. Worked with Pellegrini and Brian Kidd.

Yet when he came to work with Salisu Yusuf and some of his coaches, a coach said he had his head down and always listened to instructions.

These kind of players are easy to conform. Iheanacho said he is ready to play anywhere Guardiola wants to play him.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 8:56am On Sep 07, 2016
Last season, Jovetic and Dzeko left Manchester City. Negredo left before. Manchester City signed Bony during the January transfer window.

In the Summer, Pellegrini refused to sign a recognized striker to replace the departed ones and put faith in a Nigerian International Kelechi Iheanacho. Kelechi Iheanacho did not fail Pellegrini after he had the best goal to game ratio in England.

Guardiola is showing the same faith in the Nigerian and the teenage Brazilian sensation Gabriel Jesus. Guardiola opted against Manchester City signing Aubameyang or signing a recognized striker.

This means Iheanacho gets more games at Manchester City with him and Gabriel Jesus who joins in January as the only Center forwards in Manchester City.

cc: BascoVanVeli, Icon4s, tbaba1234, TheSuperNerd, lakesidepapa, confun, safarigirl, Joseph1013.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 9:00am On Sep 07, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

You have your opinion. I can disagree with them but one thing I do not fail to do is tell you why I disagree with them.

Now read the above. He told his coach F-ck off. That says it all. Guardiola studies and as I said, if a player does not fit what he wants, he drops the player. Eto'o was going. The question is why.

From the report above, Guardiola wanted to show him how to move. If Eto'o listened, he would get better but he was not ready to learn. When once Guardiola notices it, he looks for those ready to listen to him and conform.

When he told Messi, stop fatty foods, Messi did. When he told Messi, no more late nights watching Argentine football, Messi did. When he said, Messi I am switching you from a wing striker, Messi did it. When he said, Messi you will eat lots of fish and foods rich in fatty acids, Messi did.

It is not all about talent and history. As I said before, if Zlatan listened to Guardiola, he would have improved.

These guys refused to change and Guardiola's system relies on lots of changes. This season, he started with Fernando and Delph training with the defence. If you can not conform, you go.
you keep saying Zlaan would have improved, was he career stagnant or deteriorated after he left Barca, improve as how

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:07am On Sep 07, 2016
zicky:
you keep saying Zlaan would have improved, was he career stagnant or deteriorated after he left Barca, improve as how

Messi was already among the top three players in the world. His talent was mad but he injured a lot.

There is more than talent. A player could achieve more. Nasri was brilliant. He did not expect problems from Guardiola. Guardiola came an said, drop your weight. Stop some foods and increase some trainings.

Nasri did all and improved. It was sad he was to leave but chose a coach who shares a similar qualities with Guardiola.

Iheanacho has the best goal to game ratio in the EPL last season. Yet, he listens to local coaches in Nigeria and still learns from them.

If the coach sees something, it is wise to listen and learn. If a player is too big to coach, the coach has to let him go and find those ready to listen.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 9:11am On Sep 07, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

Lord Guardiola wouldn't talk to a player for a whole season but wants him improve.
Aren't you being ridiculous?

The manner you go out of your way to defend Guardiola even when he was wrong shows clearly you see him as god and his words are like Bible to you and you worship in his temple.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 9:12am On Sep 07, 2016
TheGoodJoe:
Last season, Jovetic and Dzeko left Manchester City. Negredo left before. Manchester City signed Bony during the January transfer window.

In the Summer, Pellegrini refused to sign a recognized striker to replace the departed ones and put faith in a Nigerian International Kelechi Iheanacho. Kelechi Iheanacho did not fail Pellegrini after he had the best goal to game ratio in England.

Guardiola is showing the same faith in the Nigerian and the teenage Brazilian sensation Gabriel Jesus. Guardiola opted against Manchester City signing Aubameyang or signing a recognized striker.

This means Iheanacho gets more games at Manchester City with him and Gabriel Jesus who joins in January as the only Center forwards in Manchester City.

cc: BascoVanVeli, Icon4s, tbaba1234, TheSuperNerd, lakesidepapa safarigirl, Joseph1013.

My people see me o! I was out with some friends and next thing my guy who is a man u fan starts shouting to the sky how Rashford is better than Iheanacho. He even said Rashford would have scored a hattrick against Tanzania. So i'm looking for Joe's plank and let me say this "Man U fans, respect yourselfs". Support ur team but leave our boy out of ur wahala.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Mickael2(m): 9:51am On Sep 07, 2016
TheGoodJoe:

ehm, point of information. Alaba was always a midfielder before he switched back to left back, he played as a midfielder for his local club, I have lost the name now.

Lahm, well yes we can give him credit for that, but he is not the first person to do that is he? Mou changed Mikel to a DMF,Ferguson changed Smalling from a fullback to a CB, and so many others, its not a huge achievement

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (41) (42) (43) (44) (45) (46) (47) ... (16179) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Isahalbash(m), Longneck, WHOSEMAN(m) and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.