Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,766 members, 7,851,616 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 12:58 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (549) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11874214 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (546) (547) (548) (549) (550) (551) (552) ... (16251) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 12:00am On Feb 10, 2017
NIgeria’s Youngest Referee, Adebimpe For CAFCL Duty; Shuaibu For CAFCC

Confederation of African Football (CAF) have appointed two Nigerian referees to officiate in the First Round , Second Leg matches of continental club competitions, reports Completesportsnigeria.com.

Quadri Ololade Adebimpe, the youngest Nigeria Professional Football League at 24, from the Lagos Referees Association, will oversee the CAF Champions League Second Leg game between AS FAN of Niger Republic and AS de Tanda of Cote d’Ivoire in Niamey next week Saturday, February 18 2017.

Adebimpe who is a FIFA badged referee will be assisted by Samuel Pwadutakam, Isah Usman and Abubakar Ago for the Champions League tie.

Also, Abdullahi Shuaibu from Katsina State Referees Association got a CAF Conferation Cup appointment. He will be at the centre when Racing de Micomiseng of Equatorial Guinea host Etoile du Congo in Malabo in their Second Leg match on Sunday Februay 19 at the Estadio De Nkoatoma in Bata, Equatorial Guinea..

Shuaibu will have Efosa Igudia, Tejiri Digbori and Benjamin Odey as assistant referees for the encounter.

CAF also picked former NFF President, Brigadier-General Dominic Oneya (rtd) and NFF General Secretary, Dr. Mohammed Sanusi as match commissioners for CAF club competition assignments.

Oneya will serve as Match Commissioner for the CAF Champions League clash between FC Johansen of Sierra Leone and Fath Union Sport (FUS) of Morocco, taking place in Freetown on Saturday.

Sanusi will be Match Commissioner for the CAF Confederation Cup first round, first leg match between Bechem United of Ghana and Mouloudia Club D’Alger of Algeria, scheduled for the Baba Yara Stadium, Kumasi on Sunday, 12th February 2017.

www.completesportsnigeria.com/nigerias-youngest-referee-adebimpe-cafcl-duty-shuaibu-cafcc/

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by princesuko(m): 12:09am On Feb 10, 2017
daveP:
Right glad I'm I that our brain frequencies, wavelengths now are at par on what my aim what. cheesy grin

Tell me how else this isn't a way to prove he is world class.

Le prof just called Cech, Ospina and Emiliano Martinez, his trio of GKs, world class. Well since this is a stretch of a discussion, I'll allow to rest and appreciate Ndidi's screamer.

Tell Ahmed Musa to wake up. He is proving he isn't world class grin

grin

Why we are at it then, Hagreaeves won the PL and UCL with Man United is he a world Class Player? angry
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 12:15am On Feb 10, 2017
Allan Nyom calls for Africa Cup of Nations to be moved

By Barney Corkhill

West Bromwich Albion defender Allan Nyom has called for the Africa Cup of Nations to be switched to the summer.

Nyom was one of a number of Cameroon players to rule themselves out of selection for this year's tournament, with the debate over his refusal causing him to miss two matches for the Baggies.

Liverpool's Joel Matip was in a similar position as uncertainty of his eligibility raged last month but, having seen Cameroon go on to win the tournament, Nyom believes that scheduling the competition outside of the regular season will result in its profile growing much quicker.

"If it's in the summer everyone would go and the development of the tournament is going to go up. During the January months it's very crazy. The moment when they put the African Cup is very bad. You can play in the summer, you can play perfectly. In January it's a very bad time to put a tournament like this. If you are playing in a different league, not a big league, you can go but when you are playing in the Premier League it's very hard," he told PA.

"This tournament is a good tournament and is good for the African people and countries but, at the moment, they put it in January and a lot of players are going to have a problem. This time it was me, next time it will be others. I'm lucky to play in the Premier League and there are a lot of players who want to be here. When you get this chance you can't go to a tournament and come back.

"Imagine I went to the African Cup and I came back and the team is winning. How can I enter the team? You almost miss the second part of the league. I think the European clubs don't matter (care) about the African Cup because it's in January. If it was in the summer everyone would care and everyone would watch. When it's in January it loses something, loses viewers, people, and the big problem is for the players.

"Honestly, if I was the manager I wouldn't call me because when you have a team and win the trophy you stay with those players. It's normal. I don't think I'm going to go for the next games. He decided not to call me or put me on the final list. It's his choice, I can't do anything. It was a good choice in the end because they won the Cup and I'm happy as well at West Brom. It's life. Everyone makes his choice and I have to accept this choice. I don't think anyone who wasn't there regrets something."

Nyom currently has 16 caps for Cameroon.

www.sportsmole.co.uk/football/west-brom-albion/africa-cup-of-nations/news/allan-nyom-calls-for-afcon-to-be-moved_291446.html

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by irrefragable: 12:20am On Feb 10, 2017
Joebie:
my brother check Yaya Toure's stats

https://www.premierleague.com/players/4148/Yaya-Tour%C3%A9/stats

you don't need to show me his stats. This player won 4 APOTY when our own mikel couldn't even manage to get one

This player singlehandedly won matches for man city when our own mikel is been brought in on second half to 'pack the bus'
This player would rather leave a club than seat on the bench our mikel will gladly sit on the bench even accept pay cut in chelsea just because he wants to stay up to the required number of years that will make him eligible for a uk visa.

Right now our mikel doesn't know if he's a defensive midfielder or an attacking midfielder, playing defensive for club and attacking for national team. Like seriously, who does that?

Other defensive midfielders plays the role well and even pushes attack sometimes scoring our mikel only knows how to lock the defense and even dulls the attack

Someone said mikel has a high pass accuracy. I ask, which pass accuracy? is it the one he always passes the ball back to defenders or to keeper.

And that's the person one supernerd and co calls world class. I've always said Nigerians glorify what's a bit above average. If you say the truth they'll all attack you because mikel is a nigerian and they are Nigerians.

World-class players power their team to victory when it matters most check out players like Ronaldinho, de lima, Drogba and the rest. These are players that can never be benched by any team in the world.

Someone was saying if mikel had played for a team like Barcelona..... Like seriously? Barcelona can never contract a DM like mikel because they are an attacking team and mikel is a defensive player. Only team like chelsea that needs to park the bus from time to time will contract him. If you tell them this they will call you a mikel hater.

I can go on and on but I'm tired of typing already let me just stop here.

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by irrefragable: 12:38am On Feb 10, 2017
chrisooblog:
to be fair that optimism is not totally misplaced. man for man as at this present moment nigeria has better players than cameroon in most positions based on the prestige of the clubs our players are in right now but yes individual talent maketh not a team that said if senegal had been more clinical in front of goal we won't be having this conversation

you saw where I stated that even if Cameroon hadn't qualified from the group stage they will still be a tough nut to crack.

Now let me tell you, 2006 afcon Nigeria had more quality players than Ivory Coast but we lost to them. Kalou broke into our defense dribbled about 4 defenders and scored.

2013 afcon Ivory Coast had more quality players but Nigeria defeated them. So what does that tell you........

You must know that Cameroon might get defeated by all the teams in the world but once they see Nigeria that's when they remember that they do have a pride to protect, that's when they come out with all the power and determination they can muster in the world. It has happened before, it will happen again.
That game is 50-50

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 12:57am On Feb 10, 2017
When you spoke earlier, you said, you don't like to argue much.... grin

Going against your code huh?? I see... smiley

Ah well.... Firstly, you made so many assumptions when you walked in here.... You quoted my reply to you and started spilling about me among the people who say cameroun will be a cake-walk and that Cameroun is weak or so..... Berra fix that.

About Mikel.... All your epistles changes NOTHING. SO JUST REST.... grin

Do you know more than Guus Hiddink? Or Roberto di matteo? Or Iniesta? Do you?

Yaya won four APOTY but was average in CIV's Afcon triumph. Yes or no... smiley

Mikel never won an APOTY but was super magnificent in Nigeria's trimph. Yes or no... smiley

In fact, the year Mikel won the Afcon with Nigeria was his chance to be crowned African best... CAF said no and gave it to Yaya Toure. No complaints.

Now Yaya who you so praise recently criticised CAF for not giving him the APOTY in 2015 when he captained CIV to Afcon glory. Aubameyang won it.

Yaya said, "We ought to recognise performances at Africa's World cup more than performances for clubs in europe.... Auba doesn't deserve the award" looolllll

Yaya the great talking.... smiley

So he admits then by his cry-babying that MIKEL WAS AFRICA'S BEST IN 2013 AND NOT HIM.

Look..... It is people like you who look at flashy things in football and ignore the hidden greatness of what makes a player really special. Mikel was not your conventional DM/CM... He was unique and did his job superbly backed up with world class performances. HE NEVER FAILED TO SHINE IN THE BIG GAMES.... IS THAT NOT ONE OF THE ENDURING QUALITIES OF A WORLD CLASS PLAYER?? ALMOST ALWAYS SHOWING UP IN THE BIG GAMES AND EXERTING GREAT INFLUENCE ON RESULTS??

Loooollll.... Your epistles are nothing because it doesn't take anything from the greatness and worldclass quality of Mikel. IF YOU CHOOSE NOT TO SEE IT... THEN FINE. THAT'S YOUR CHOICE. BUT DO NOT THINK THAT YOUR LONG EPISTLES AIMED AT DISCREDITING MIKEL'S GENIUS CAN DISTORT THE TRUTH OF WHAT A SUPER REMARKABLE PLAYER MIKEL IS.

You're welcome... smiley

irrefragable:
you don't need to show me his stats. This player won 4 APOTY when our own mikel couldn't even manage to get one

This player singlehandedly won matches for man city when our own mikel is been brought in on second half to 'pack the bus'
This player would rather leave a club than seat on the bench our mikel will gladly sit on the bench even accept pay cut in chelsea just because he wants to stay up to the required number of years that will make him eligible for a uk visa.

Right now our mikel doesn't know if he's a defensive midfielder or an attacking midfielder, playing defensive for club and attacking for national team. Like seriously, who does that?

Other defensive midfielders plays the role well and even pushes attack sometimes scoring our mikel only knows how to lock the defense and even dulls the attack

Someone said mikel has a high pass accuracy. I ask, which pass accuracy? is it the one he always passes the ball back to defenders or to keeper.

And that's the person one supernerd and co calls world class. I've always said Nigerians glorify what's a bit above average. If you say the truth they'll all attack you because mikel is a nigerian and they are Nigerians.

World-class players power their team to victory when it matters most check out players like Ronaldinho, de lima, Drogba and the rest. These are players that can never be benched by any team in the world.

Someone was saying if mikel had played for a team like Barcelona..... Like seriously? Barcelona can never contract a DM like mikel because they are an attacking team and mikel is a defensive player. Only team like chelsea that needs to park the bus from time to time will contract him. If you tell them this they will call you a mikel hater.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:02am On Feb 10, 2017
@Bolded... Hey!!! It's THESUPERNERD..... smiley

Show some respect! You met me here.... So don't think you can walk in and start throwing silly shades.... I will not hesistate to put you in your place... Okay.

That's a final warning. smiley

Wonder what qualifies you to water down Mikel's genius when legends and class acts like Guus Hiddink, Carlo Ancelotti (no one has more UCLs than Carlo combined as a player and coach), Christian Chukwu, Iniesta and co endorses the world class quality of Mikel. smiley

Shows how much "deep" your knowledge of the game is. You only appreciate the "flashy" things of soccer.

irrefragable:

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by princesuko(m): 1:15am On Feb 10, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
When you spoke earlier, you said, you don't like to argue much.... grin

Going against your code huh?? I see... smiley

Ah well.... Firstly, you made so many assumptions when you walked in here.... You quoted my reply to you and started spilling about me among the people who say cameroun will be a cake-walk and that Cameroun is weak or so..... Berra fix that.

About Mikel.... All your epistles changes NOTHING. SO JUST REST.... grin

Do you know more than Guus Hiddink? Or Roberto di matteo? Or Iniesta? Do you?

Di matteo undecided . Stop Mentioning Iniesta Please grin, the quote has been debunked as fake.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mikron(m): 1:17am On Feb 10, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Good one there Sir Terzurum5.... smiley

Remember I spoke about this on the previous Super Eagles thread before we started this Dawn of a new era thread. smiley

I said we will witness different metamorphosis stages of our darling team as Post-Russia 2018 will lead to Afcon 2019, Afcon 2021 and Qatar 2022 and beyond (and each event must have their unique threads so that we keep things about out team well organised and well documented in this section for future references for upcoming generations).

I think we have two options:

1). Modify the topic slightly to include "Afcon 2019" as the afcon 2019 journey begins soon this year with the qualifiers

After which, post-Russia we create a brand new thread for the Afcon 2019 exclusively. After which more threads follow.

2). Create the Afcon 2019 thread "now" strictly for just nations cup news with respect to the Super Eagles as Russia 2018 marks our super eagles new generation "baptism of fire" on the international stage while Afcon 2019 which comes after Russia 2018 represents how far the team have matured in its quest to rule Africa for the next couple of years.

Either way, we must be out to organise the archival threads here on NL sports. That should be our goal so as not to cluster the information all into just one place.

As usual the final decisions rest with the elders and Super OPs::::

Cc: Sirs Tbaba1234, Icon4s, Joseph1013, Terzurum5, Orkpekyandega, TheGoodJoe BascoVanVeli, Chrisooblog, Napoleaon55, Icon79, AIG07, Mikron, Blackalbino06, NLban, Justiz5, Goldfish80, Kog45, LazyErudite, Chriskels, Mickael2, Edi287, Komekn, Forgiveness, etc....

Madams Safarigirl, Confun et al....

Over to you all... smiley

no 1 is in order

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:32am On Feb 10, 2017
Even the foreign media reported Real Madrid's interests in "Slowbie" Mikel.... smiley

So much for not being World-class.... Rubbish!

http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/573033/Real-Madrid-Chelsea-John-Obi-Mikel-Swoop

http://www.squawka.com/news/real-madrid-favourites-to-sign-chelseas-john-obi-mikel/363738

http://metro.co.uk/2015/04/26/real-madrid-lining-up-shock-transfer-bid-for-chelsea-midfielder-john-obi-mikel-5168447/

One of Carlo Ancelloti's many words on Mikel's Class and Quality.....

I know of no other man on earth with more UCL titles as player and coach combined than Monsieur Carlo smiley
Read the link below:

http://m.goal.com/s/en/news/9/english-football/2009/07/24/1401153/john-obi-mikel-will-be-the-playmaker-for-chelsea-carlo

Another article culled from source below:

According to Jose Mourinho, Mikel is 'a genius in his position', to the extent it is 'a miracle if he loses the ball'. The Portuguese, who signed the Nigerian seven-and-a-half years ago and is now managing him again, is not alone when it comes to those who have sung Mikel's praises since he moved to west London.

Luiz Felipe Scolari said 'he belongs in the
position'. Carlo Ancelotti likened Mikel's style to his own, a compliment not to be taken lightly
considering the Italian's own glittering playing
career.

Ray Wilkins, a lieutenant of both Ancelotti's and Guus Hiddink's before that, and an exceptional former midfielder himself, hailed Mikel as a player who 'reads the game exceptionally
well, is as strong as an ox and has a lovely range of passing'.

Andre Villas-Boas admired his 'amazing mental toughness' when he played on despite the abduction of his father in Nigeria, and, following our epic run to the Champions League final in 2012, Roberto Di Matteo stressed the significance of the 'vital' role he played throughout the latter stages of that glorious
European campaign, highlighting disciplined
defensive performances against Barcelona and
Bayern Munich.

http://www.chelseafc.com/news/features/words-with--john-mikel-obi.html

THE INTERNET IS FULL OF ARCHIVES UPON ARCHIVES, RECORDS UPON RECORDS AND FACTS UPON FACTS TESTIFYING OF MIKEL'S OUTSTANDING ABILITIES AS A FOOTBALLER AND WORLD CLASS QUALITY AND SOME OF YOU....,,ESPECIALLY YOU MR. IRREFRAGABLE WHO CLEARLY ISN'T IRREFRAGABLE wink ON THIS DISCOURSE, HAVE REFUSED TO "SEE" BEYOND THE "FLASHY" SIDE OF THE BEAUTIFUL GAME.

Sometimes I wonder how flamboyant Cannavaro was even as a player yet he was World best in 2006. smiley This is a player Ikechukwu Uche regularly dealt with and destroyed in La Liga.... Isn't he (Cannavaro) world class too?

You are "irrefragably" just blabbing and on a long thing because you don't know more than UCL's most successful individual called Carlo Ancelloti WHO EVEN LIKENED MIKEL TO HIMSELF IN TERMS OF MIDFIELD PLAYING STYLE.

How classic!!! smiley

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:34am On Feb 10, 2017
It is not fake.... But let's say it is. In fact, let's forget iniesta.... grin

But dispute the words of Carlo Ancelloti... A far greater figure in the game than Iniesta. smiley tongue

princesuko:

Di matteo undecided . Stop Mentioning Iniesta Please grin, the quote has been debunked as fake.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 1:35am On Feb 10, 2017
Sir Mikron... It is now you show up? Loolll... Trust you are doing great. smiley
mikron:
no 1 is in order
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mikron(m): 1:51am On Feb 10, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Sir Mikron... It is now you show up? Loolll... Trust you are doing great. smiley

brotherly i gallant o, hw have u been? im good. just been so busy with work these days
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:04am On Feb 10, 2017
This is a dossier on Carlo Ancelloti's style of play back in the days when he was a DM/CM....

THIS IS FOR A PERFECT UNDERSTANDING OF WHAT CARLO MEANT WHEN HE SAID, "Mikel's game is (in every way) likened to mine....."

A world-class midfielder and now world-class manager affirming the world-class quality of Mikel.... YET UNA GO STILL ARGUE NONSENSE. This is the last I drop on this. smiley

Style of play

Ancelotti was a talented, cautious, efficient and
composed creative midfielder, who was capable of being deployed in several positions.
A world-class midfielder, he was known for his leadership and organisational skills and is regarded as one of the best Italian midfielders of his generation.

Although he lacked pace, as well as notable
physical and athletic characteristics, he was a
hard-working, combative and tenacious team-
player, who was competent defensively, and who also possessed excellent technical ability, tactical intelligence, vision and passing range,
........I would have sworn this is being written about Mikel if I didn't know the source or the person in question........... as well as a powerful and accurate shot from outside the area, which enabled him to contribute to his team's offensive play with goals and assists.

Despite his ability, his career was affected by several injuries, which limited his playing time, and forced his retirement in 1992.

As he was often deployed in front of the back-line, as a central or defensive midfielder, a position which allowed him to set the tempo of his team's play after winning back possession, he is regarded as having been the mentor and predecessor of Demetrio Albertini and Andrea Pirlo in the deep-lying playmaking role at Milan.

**Exactly why Madrid were strongly linked to Mikel**

Chaaiiiiiii.... So it is me, an indomie generation kid that will have to open eyes of football ogas like this?? *smh*

I am done on this Mikel issue.... Mikel is not world-class una hear... because una sabi pass Ancelloti who said Mikel is all he(Carlo) ever was a midfielder.

Carlo was World-Class and here he tells the world... Mikel is likened to me... His game is in every way similar to mine.... He's got great tactical and technical qualities.... In other words (Carlo is saying)... "Mikel is world class"... Argue with the greatest mind and manager in the history of the UEFA Champions League (who was an ex-world class midfielder himself and current world class manager) "ON HIS VERDICT ON A TOP PLAYER IN THE MIDFIELD ROLE" and know that something is wrong with how you view football. #peace. smiley

P.S: Don't be a superficial pundit or third deep layer or second deep layer pundit/analyst... Be deeper than deep and holistically observant in analysis of that term "world class". It's a lot deeper than you think and not just about who make the most media buzzes.... smiley

Source of main info: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlo_Ancelotti

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 2:09am On Feb 10, 2017
Carry on Sir. I understand. For me, it's both work and studies (as usual). I'm good too smiley Nice hearing from you again. Stay blessed.

mikron:
brotherly i gallant o, hw have u been? im good. just been so busy with work these days
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mikron(m): 2:28am On Feb 10, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
Carry on Sir. I understand. For me, it's both work and studies (as usual). I'm good too smiley Nice hearing from you again. Stay blessed.

thanks bro. wink wink wink
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 5:15am On Feb 10, 2017
princesuko:

grin

Why we are at it then, Hagreaeves won the PL and UCL with Man United is he a world Class Player? angry

Did Owen Hargreaves play at a top level for a long period of time?

4 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by princesuko(m): 6:32am On Feb 10, 2017
TheGoodJoe:

Did Owen Hargreaves play at a top level for a long period of time?

He Was a top Player at Bayern before moving to Manchester. Won the UCL with Bayern and Manchester but that doesn't make him World Class.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by princesuko(m): 6:35am On Feb 10, 2017
TheSuperNerd:
It is not fake.... But let's say it is. In fact, let's forget iniesta.... grin

But dispute the words of Carlo Ancelloti... A far greater figure in the game than Iniesta. smiley tongue

What do you expect a Players Manager to say? If Mikel was that good why didn't Ancelloti take him to Madrid and Psg?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by KevinDein: 6:41am On Feb 10, 2017
zicky:
you guys can be funny, too much EPL is affecting some, if Kante is world class Matuidi is what. Outside EPL where have Kante performed champions league, euros or world cup.
kante is a different player to Matuidi. And yep, Kante did very well at the Euros.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheSuperNerd(m): 7:35am On Feb 10, 2017
Why didn't Pep take Messi to Bayern?? You ask some very funny questions. Abegiii... Eat the facts I dropped up there and don't disturb ny mentions anymore on this issue. I'm done.

So much for analysing Soccer. Can't you guys be holistic for once? *smh*

princesuko:

What do you expect a Players Manager to say? If Mikel was that good why didn't Ancelloti take him to Madrid and Psg?

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by zicky(m): 7:53am On Feb 10, 2017
KevinDein:
kante is a different player to Matuidi. And yep, Kante did very well at the Euros.
Thesame Euros I watched or another that Kante spent quality time on the bench.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by terzurum5(m): 7:59am On Feb 10, 2017
Tianjin Teda Ponder Converting Nigeria Captain Mikel Into A Central Defender

Chinese Super League club Tianjin Teda are in the worst form heading into the 2017 season, having lost seven of their warm-up matches.

In their latest preparation game, the ‎Jaime Pacheco-led side lost 3-0 to South Korean clubUlsan Hyundai, it is now obvious that they are weak and the fans are demanding explanations for this slump.

Tianjin Teda had the second worst defense in the Chinese Super League last season, having conceded 50 goals, three less than the worst team Shijiazhuang Ever Bright and their defensive woes have continued in pre-season with 22 goals conceded.

To stem the tide, manager Jaime Pacheco is mulling over converting his marque signing Obi Mikel into a central defender, and the Nigeria skipper appeared in the second half of the friendly versusGyeongnam FC in that position.

Mikel was deployed in central defense by ex-Chelsea manager Guus Hiddink in few games last season, so he is not entirely a novice in that position.

Ifeanyi Emmanuel

www.allnigeriasoccer.com/read_news.php?nid=22007
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by TheGoodJoe(m): 9:42am On Feb 10, 2017
princesuko:

He Was a top Player at Bayern before moving to Manchester. Won the UCL with Bayern and Manchester but that doesn't make him World Class.

Owen Hargreaves did not play at a top level for a long time. He had his injury challenges at Bayern, Manchester United and Manchester City.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:22am On Feb 10, 2017
Yesterday, I saw the reply of Everton match against Jordan Ibe's club and I had the time to assess Ademola-lookman and Jordan Ibe.

Ademola-lookman started while Jordan Ibe came on in the second half.

From my assessment of lookman's play, he seems to be another Jay Jay Okocha. I hope una understand wetin I mean. He is very skilful and has a very good ball control but he is not direct, he is not good at marking, in short he doesn't know how to mark or defend and it seems he is shy away from the ball. I mean he doesn't seem to want the ball. Although, whenever he has the ball he makes unbelievable moves and he can shoot from long range.

My conclusion is that lookman could go places if he can add some parts to his game. Of course, he will definitely learn these things if he is giving game time to improve himself.

This lad must be capped by us before it's too late because I am seeing another Dele Alli in that guy.

However, Jordan Ibe is very direct and he doesn't shy away from the ball. He is full of running and he loves to give through passes. I hope we forgive him and give another chance to play for us.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by safarigirl(f): 10:39am On Feb 10, 2017
irrefragable:

Uncle, there is no need to be an asss about this and disrespect peopld with greater football knowledge than you

If you're bereft on ideas concerning proper passage of knowledge in these parts, better ask somebody instead of dumping insults on your person. I'm the resident trash talker around here, make everybody respect their position

7 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by goldfish80(m): 10:57am On Feb 10, 2017
forgiveness:
Yesterday, I saw the reply of Everton match against Jordan Ibe's club and I had the time to assess Ademola-lookman and Jordan Ibe.

Ademola-lookman started while Jordan Ibe came on in the second half.

From my assessment of lookman's play, he seems to be another Jay Jay Okocha. I hope una understand wetin I mean. He is very skilful and has a very good ball control but he is not direct, he is not good at marking, in short he doesn't know how to mark or defend and it seems he is shy away from the ball. I mean he doesn't seem to want the ball. Although, whenever he has the ball he makes unbelievable moves and he can shoot from long range.

My conclusion is that lookman could go places if he can add some parts to his game. Of course, he will definitely learn these things if he is giving game time to improve himself.

This lad must be capped by us before it's too late because I am seeing another Dele Alli in that guy.

However, Jordan Ibe is very direct and he doesn't shy away from the ball. He is full of running and he loves to give through passes. I hope we forgive him and give another chance to play for us.

To be honest, I haven't seen Ademola play so I can't give an assessment of his game. As for Jordan Ibe, no doubt he is a talent. People forget Bournemouth paid a club record fee to sign him from Liverpool at just 20. He has a high celine no matter what his situation is currently. He's a lot like Wilfred Zaha, hopefully the Nff puts an arm round his shoulders.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 11:04am On Feb 10, 2017
goldfish80:

To be honest, I haven't seen Ademola play so I can't give an assessment of his game. As for Jordan Ibe, no doubt he is a talent. People forget Bournemouth paid a club record fee to sign him from Liverpool at just 20. He has a high celine no matter what his situation is currently. He's a lot like Wilfred Zaha, hopefully the Nff puts an arm round his shoulders.

Hehehehe! E bi like say Zaha dey more skilful than but I think Ibe is more purposeful than Zaha. grin

Anyway, I just want us to cap both of them. Afterall, we got nothing to lose.

Well said, bros.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 11:30am On Feb 10, 2017
princesuko:

grin

taking me back outside my brain frequency/ wavelength won't work.

Kolewerk
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 12:11pm On Feb 10, 2017
you also saw the part where i agreed with you that individuals solely don't make a team. yes we all know that nigeria vs cameroon is like a derby match which no matter the form or quality of teams can go either way but doesn't mean one is being blindly patriotic by saying nigeria has better players. barcelona has better players than athletico madrid but that doesn't mean the game won't be tight.

it was in 2008 AFCON not 2006 that kalou dribbled our defenders even in 2006 both teams were equally matched talent wise

irrefragable:
you saw where I stated that even if Cameroon hadn't qualified from the group stage they will still be a tough nut to crack.

Now let me tell you, 2006 afcon Nigeria had more quality players than Ivory Coast but we lost to them. Kalou broke into our defense dribbled about 4 defenders and scored.

2013 afcon Ivory Coast had more quality players but Nigeria defeated them. So what does that tell you........

You must know that Cameroon might get defeated by all the teams in the world but once they see Nigeria that's when they remember that they do have a pride to protect, that's when they come out with all the power and determination they can muster in the world. It has happened before, it will happen again.
That game is 50-50

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 12:28pm On Feb 10, 2017
I want to make a list of players fighting for a position from the goalkeeper to the striker in the National team. I want us to arrange them based on your own rating. grin

I will start from the Left Wing.

LEFT WING

Victor Moses - Chelsea; Arguably, the best player for this position. With his tricks, he can unlock any defense in the world. In short, he is the most skilful player in the National team. He is the number one on my list. He can also play as a RM. grin- Now, who can deputize for him in case of the unexpected?

Now, let us choose between Moses Simon and Ademola-lookman though we have other players contending for this position. grin

Moses Simon - Gent; I don't really know what is happening to him recently but I think he is my second choice for now pending the guy behind him surpasses him. And who is that guy? cheesy

Ademola-lookman - Everton; This is the new kid on the block making rave in the Premier League. This guy could go places at the rate he has risen from nowhere to becoming a full team player within three years. He's a good dribbler, he is skilful, he can score goals and he can give an accurate long pass. I rate him highly than Moses Simon. grin

We also have Sheyi Ojo who plays for Liverpool.

RIGHT WING

Ahmed Musa - Lec city; He is not my preferred choice but he's of course the number one on my list based on experience and other factors. I think he is best used as a Left Winger or striker.

Who do you think is best to stand for him incase...? grin

I think....

Isaac Success of Watford is the answer and my preferred choice. He's a reminiscent of Victor Moses. He is very skillful and direct but he has lost his goal sense based on what I saw. Imagine, Victor Moses on the Left Wing with Success on the right wing, grin any team go fear fear na. grin

The next person is Sone Aluko of Fulham. I think he is most skilful not in the National team. He can play as a second striker and as an attacking midfielder. grin

Imoh Ezekiel could have been on the list but where em dey get as em be. grin

We have Noel Joel Sarenren Bazee also contending for this position. grin

Center Forward

This one I know know who I go put as number one for this position before some people chew me raw. Seriously, we need a potent striker in the mould of Diago Costa of Chelsea. grin

I don't want to think about Odion Ighalo because of em Chinko move. grin

Therefore, I will go for Aaron Samuel of CSK Moscow. grin It is my choice. grin You can choose yours. grin

The next will be Brown Ideye.

We have Adi, Sadiq Umar, Dominic Solanke, Tammy Abraham, Henry Onyekuru, Kayode Olanrewaju and

My front line up will be like this..

....... Victor (Lw)........ Aaron (CF)........ Isaac(RW)

................................ Iheanacho(Ss)/Iwobi depending on the formation.

Let me drop this one before moving to the midfield. grin

If there are some players missing please endeavor to add to the list then choose ya first and second choice. grin

Last week I wrote about the rising numbers of players fighting for a position in the team and who should be the first and second choice. And those who are capable to play the role.

Today, I will like to forge ahead with the Midfield.

I will start with the attacking midfielders/second striker my number one choice is, hmmmmm, Alex Iwobi.

ATTACKING MIDFIELDER/ SECOND STRIKER

Alex Iwobi - Arsenal-fc; I think he is the only number ten we have in a top club in Europe. He can hold unto ball, he can give a through pass and he can also dribble very well. He is my favorite.

Kelechi Iheanacho - Man City; From my observations of this lad, he is best utilized behind the striker and that position is what actually shot him into limelight. This will afford him the opportunity to play freely on field without the restrictions of being stagnant in one position. I promise you, Kelechi must score or at worst provide assist in this role. He is my second choice.

Oghenekaro-etebo - CD Feirense; Even though, he can play different roles, I think he is best utilized as a second striker. Etebor can play as a box to box midfielder if we want him to play alongside Iwobi or Nacho.

Abdul Ajagun - Roda; grin Hehehehe! At the mention of his name alone, every knee must bow. Eze-okwu. grin This lad is naturally an attacking midfielder who needs to be given a chance to prove himself. grin Anyway, he is on my list.

Josh Onomah- Tottenham; I have not taken time to see his game but he's also a natural attacking midfielder and I think he deserves to be given a trail. After all, he is playing for one of the best clubs in EPL. grin

Is there anyone I am missing? You can add yours.

CENTRAL MIDFIELDER

Mikel Obi- Chinko club; grin Arguably, he is the most experienced and most influential player on the list. We don't need too much stories though his Chinko move get k leg but I will give him benefit of doubt.... until I see him play. For now, he is my first choice.

Ogenyi-onazi - Trapazone; Without any doubt, he is the most experienced player after Mikel in the National team. Onazi can double as a CMF and Defensive midfielder. If he is not playing as a CMF then he must play as the defensive Midfielder.

Raheem Lawal - Kayserispor; I don't understand why this guy is not in the National team despite his stellar performance in the friendly. So far, he has been underatted by many without knowing he was the best player of the U23 Africa Olympics qualifiers tournament.

John Ogu; He is having the best season of his career. Although, he was noticed and given a call but but he wasn't given the chance to prove himself.

DEFENSIVE MIDFIELDER

Wilfred Ndidi - Leicester; This is the new kid on the block. He is currently doing himself good in the EPL. However, he is my first choice if Onazi plays beside him as another DMF else he will have to understudy Onazi in this role.

Mikel Agu- Victoria Setubal; This lad is making waves in the Portuguese Liga. A run of MOT game after game should be enough to convince his doubters, he is ready for the National team. He's my preferred choice behind Ndidi.

Anderson Esiti - Gent; This lad is playing regularly for his Belgium club and he is doing well in this position. He deserves to be looked into.

Sanusi Ryan - Sparta Rotterdam; Many have not heard about this lad but I can tell you, he was part of the team that brought back Rotterdam to the Eredivisie. He scored goals from his position which made him to known as the DMF with high numbers of goals.

If you know more please endeavor to share.

My front line up will be like this..

....... Victor (Lw)........ Aaron (CF)........ Isaac(RW)

................................ Iheanacho(Ss)/Iwobi depending on
the formation.

...................... Mikel Obi.......... Onazi

TheSuperNerd, TheGoodJoe, chrisooblog, Icon4s, Kog45, safarigirl, Tbaba1234, goldfish80, lakesidepapa, AIG07, Komekn, terzurum5, chai! Why I con dey forget some moniker na? My apologies to those not mentioned.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 12:37pm On Feb 10, 2017
actually that 1994 AFCON was part of what brought him to limelight. he was included in the team of the tournament.

it is rare for a world class player to want to remain in one club and be a big fish in a small pond. if a player chooses to remain with that small club he will win them trophies case in point maradona went to a modest napoli and almost single handedly won titles for them. any player can shine in any domestic league but it is your overall contribution in other competitions like world cups, euros, champions league etc that will show your standing in world football. if i go by your argument then jardel and kevin philips are world class because they were goal kings for porto and sunderland respectively.

aside batistuta not many will agree that the names you mentioned are world class except their team mates and fans.

goldfish80:

Here we have a log jam. Okocha winning the Afcon didn't make him the player he was. Most people who rate Okocha didn't even watch that Afcon. Winning the Afcon didn't make him the player he was.

This issue could drag on for days and the argument can be relative because there are so many legends in the Premier league for example who attained legendary status with their modest clubs just because they guided the club through the murky relegation waters. A player like Juninho Paulista identifies more with his Middlesbrough heroics than winning the world cup as a bench boy, playing second fiddle to Rivaldo.

You also have players like Canizarez, Reycoba, Mendieta, Riquelme, Ayala, Montella, Batistuta Etall who had respectable careers but little trophies to show for it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (546) (547) (548) (549) (550) (551) (552) ... (16251) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Giv3n, BankyGee(m) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.