Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,200 members, 7,839,091 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:38 PM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (9807) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11801779 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9804) (9805) (9806) (9807) (9808) (9809) (9810) ... (16209) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by benji93: 9:38am On Oct 14, 2020
I dey boil right now. Make no body kon tell me say Okoye better pass Yakubu and Alampasu. Cos at different times all these goalkeepers have either not been playing consistently or have been completing in lowly rated leagues. On one hand Alampasu had not been playing consistently for Feirense, but he was playing for their reserves. On the other hand Maduka was competing in the German 4th tier. For some, playing for the reserve team of a team competing in the portuguese premier league is better than competing in the 4th level of German football. Besides i remember clearly that, Maduka wasn't always in goal at Dusseldorf. He warmed the bench some of the time. cheesy. I still wonder how he got his first call-up. Either Rohr's searchlights are more intensely beamed onto the German stage or Maduka advertised himself one way or another. I can see one Okatugba(verified twitter account), who claims he's a UEFA certified sports journalist wrote that he told him to create a twitter account, i suppose subsequent to an interview.In the tweet he touted him as Nigeria's next first choice goalkeeper. I suppose some of these posts, with pictures of course could have gotten several retweets until, well the Oyinbo coach couldn't resist it(close to home). cheesy. I will count on the latter to have been the major reason for his call-up, cos i don't know who looks beyond Bundesliga 2. Perhaps the perennial crisis in our goalkeeping department is a reason for casting a wider net. Yakubu, another one is the first goalkeeper for SKF Sered in the slovakian league. I would think this should count as something. At least try him. Meanwhile remember that Maduka was substituted in against Brazil, i mean if you can do that in such a high profile match, why not substitute these other goalkeepers in after about 60 minutes or so. It's not as if the goalkeeper would disrupt the game of play that much. Not that he has any plan anyway. cheesy grin. I do think Rohr made a mistake in this regard. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. The scenario that just played out over 2 games reeks of favouritism. Tactics aside, i am quite dissapointed in this singular action. He could easily polarize the team because of this. People talk. Chukwueze, Iheanacho and Alampasu are member of the same under 17 class. They'll probably sympathize with their brother, moreso Maduka is partly German. Hmmm. This guy is definitely inching towards an imminent sack, probably not because of tactics, cos his employers are as clueless as he is. cheesy

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elunico: 9:41am On Oct 14, 2020
smartsmith0907:

Okay fine no problem these are negatives and it will be sorted out in the subsequent match remember this is just a friendly and we've been out for months let's just hope for the best. With torun and tosin paring in the defense we should have a strong center halves and ehzibue is coming we have a strong midfield with ndidi and aribo and 80% of those that played yesterday are bench warmers so why you fusing

Tosin wouldn't be joining us anytime soon.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 9:42am On Oct 14, 2020
kentebemoney:

Clear ur mind and watch the both games again and u would see we played better.
When it comes to passing game, north africans will trump west africans. It's a DNA thing

You just bring up theories to defend cluelessness, what is passing game is in the DNA of North Africans, like they were born with ability to pass?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elunico: 9:47am On Oct 14, 2020
ChrisKels:

No be today I tire for the coach, he just doesn't have it.

I guess we're doomed to enjoy his cluelessness till his contract expires.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 9:51am On Oct 14, 2020
elunico:

Tosin wouldn't be joining us anytime soon.

He will be joining us very soon once he nail his spot in Fulham
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elunico: 9:55am On Oct 14, 2020
So much for our best defender at the last Afcon, Awaziem is preferred to him. When Ehizube joins the team, it's almost over for his international career.

He won't be missed.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elunico: 9:56am On Oct 14, 2020
smartsmith0907:

He will be joining us very soon once he nail his spot in Fulham

The soonest I can see is mid-next-year and that's not soon enough.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Nobody: 10:03am On Oct 14, 2020
Afobear in the building grin grin
I smell someone doing the lord's work grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by mostob(m): 10:15am On Oct 14, 2020
As it is now,Maduka will be between the pole in November qualifiers matches. Uzoho will be the second choice. These two friendly matches could have fully solved our GK crisis but Rohr knows best.
BTW,Ejuke is now the fans favourite.

5 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by benji93: 10:21am On Oct 14, 2020
He better not. He'll be creating problems for himself. I woudn't say Maduka is better than Uzoho. He's the goalkeeper to be displaced.
mostob:
As it is now,Maduka will be between the pole in November qualifiers matches. Uzoho will be the second choice. These two friendly matches could have fully solved our GK crisis but Rohr knows best.
BTW,Ejuke is now the fans favourite.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Tinneh: 10:35am On Oct 14, 2020
Truth is I had hopes that Oga rohr would come through if given time like westerhof, but it seems na lie o.
4 years into the job and we still play like amatures, no tactical inputs
We even play more maturely when using 3-5-2 than this 4-3-3
The way things are going rohr may not see Qatar world cup o

No pattern
Late sub's
No motivation
Just gather players and play
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:47am On Oct 14, 2020
ChrisKels:

Rohr is crap, same mofo kept using a Makeshift ineligible Shehu ahead of a natural RB in Ebuehi and almost cost us world cup qualifications in what was more or less an inconsequential match against Algeria

Some people we will still use the excuse that he qualified us for the AFCON after 2 years to blackmail us..

4 years with the team and there is now clear pattern,style, identify or whatever for the team ..
It's no wonder he hasn't won anything in his career..... If it was a local coach that got all the support Rohr is getting from the NFF,he would have been fired!
Late Keshi and Amodu qualified us for the world cup and AFCON despite all their indifference with the NFF and they were still fired!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 10:47am On Oct 14, 2020
elunico:

grin grin

Maduka run leave post come join fight.

He should be calming down grin .

If na Cameroon or our bredas we play,Dem for change am for him grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Icon4s(m): 10:50am On Oct 14, 2020
Icon4s:
NAIRALAND NIGERIAN FOOTBALL FANS AWARDS, 2020.

The year is gradually winding down, and as it has been our tradition, we roll out awards to our best performaning players in various categories within the calendar year.

However, COVID-19 has affected football matches the world over. Nigeria therefore has only 4 matches this year: The two international friendlies (Played already) and the AFCON qualifiers double header against Sierra Leone in November.

Now, the question is will these 4 games be enough to assess the team for us to make good enough judgement of how these players performed in the National team in 2020?

IF WE THINK WE CAN GO AHEAD WITH THIS YEAR'S AWARDS, PLEASE CLICK "LIKE ", AND IF NOT CLICK "SHARE".

VOTING CLOSES @ 7AM 16TH OCTOBER, 2020.

Thanks.

Please let's go to the original post and click "Like" or "Share" if you have not done so.

Thanks.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by forgiveness: 10:51am On Oct 14, 2020
smartsmith0907:

Okay fine no problem these are negatives and it will be sorted out in the subsequent match remember this is just a friendly and we've been out for months let's just hope for the best. With torun and tosin paring in the defense we should have a strong center halves and ehzibue is coming we have a strong midfield with ndidi and aribo and 80% of those that played yesterday are bench warmers so why you fusing

This is just friendly but Rohr and his cohorts refused to let us see other goalkeepers and players.

Tell him his sack and all his coaching crew is near.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kentebemoney: 10:51am On Oct 14, 2020
Subzero047:

You just bring up theories to defend cluelessness, what is passing game is in the DNA of North Africans, like they were born with ability to pass?
No matter how the english and germans try, the spanish would be better at the passing game.
Have u ever wondered why in the glory days of the "no10's" there were few west africans holding their own, but defenders, dmf's, fwd's were making their marks? Think am bros.
Passing game will work against weak oppositions, but against top oppositions, quick 1-2s and direct play is our strenght.
4-4-2, 4-1-4-1 and me favourite 4-3-3 would be very help full.

Iwobi played CM yesterday and was good, Victor along side kelechi would have killed that game off

Can we play better than what we played? YES!!!
Under rohr, have we played better than what we played? YES!!!
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by COOL10(m): 11:04am On Oct 14, 2020
AIG07:
Average showing overall!

On cyriel Dessers, happy for him @ last his dream came through. But he is not ready for African football(Jam body football). I saw him taking cover on several occasions. Dude looks scared like hell. He alongside apkpoguma need to up their game. Fitness wise.

I hope he is given another chance.

Ejuke was entertaining. He gave Nigerians just what they like- sharp guy. I see him getting another call up.

Papa Rohr as usual didn't disappoint. Not surprised though. You can't offer what you don't have. Makeshif LB, RB, ST. One day he'll give us a Makeshift GK. Anyway, We'll keep managing him.

Dessers is a very physical player ooo. Don't let his skin tone deceive you. He's just a bit out of form.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 11:07am On Oct 14, 2020
Bro like you i agree that Alampasu and Lawal should have been fielded but at the end of the day it's the coaches discretion who he wants to use.

The point about Akatugba is little bit unfair. Oma like any other sports journalist from time immemorial highlighted a talented player it will then be left to the coaching crew to assess if he's good enough.

Alampasu should have been fielded if only for the main fact that he was invited and friendlies are meant to test new players. If Alampasu hadn't been invited i would not have had any issues but his call up is telling me they feel he has some qualities so why not let him showcase it? even if he messed up and we ended up losing isn't it a friendly? anyway what is done is done.

Alampasu himself should continue to improve and get more game time cos playing barely 10 ten games in 5 years for small clubs for that matter is not good enough

benji93:
I dey boil right now. Make no body kon tell me say Okoye better pass Yakubu and Alampasu. Cos at different times all these goalkeepers have either not been playing consistently or have been completing in lowly rated leagues. On one hand Alampasu had not been playing consistently for Feirense, but he was playing for their reserves. On the other hand Maduka was competing in the German 4th tier. For some, playing for the reserve team of a team competing in the portuguese premier league is better than competing in the 4th level of German football. Besides i remember clearly that, Maduka wasn't always in goal at Dusseldorf. He warmed the bench some of the time. cheesy. I still wonder how he got his first call-up. Either Rohr's searchlights are more intensely beamed onto the German stage or Maduka advertised himself one way or another. I can see one Okatugba(verified twitter account), who claims he's a UEFA certified sports journalist wrote that he told him to create a twitter account, i suppose subsequent to an interview.In the tweet he touted him as Nigeria's next first choice goalkeeper. I suppose some of these posts, with pictures of course could have gotten several retweets until, well the Oyinbo coach couldn't resist it(close to home). cheesy. I will count on the latter to have been the major reason for his call-up, cos i don't know who looks beyond Bundesliga 2. Perhaps the perennial crisis in our goalkeeping department is a reason for casting a wider net. Yakubu, another one is the first goalkeeper for SKF Sered in the slovakian league. I would think this should count as something. At least try him. Meanwhile remember that Maduka was substituted in against Brazil, i mean if you can do that in such a high profile match, why not substitute these other goalkeepers in after about 60 minutes or so. It's not as if the goalkeeper would disrupt the game of play that much. Not that he has any plan anyway. cheesy grin. I do think Rohr made a mistake in this regard. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. The scenario that just played out over 2 games reeks of favouritism. Tactics aside, i am quite dissapointed in this singular action. He could easily polarize the team because of this. People talk. Chukwueze, Iheanacho and Alampasu are member of the same under 17 class. They'll probably sympathize with their brother, moreso Maduka is partly German. Hmmm. This guy is definitely inching towards an imminent sack, probably not because of tactics, cos his employers are as clueless as he is. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kentebemoney: 11:07am On Oct 14, 2020
Subzero047:

Btw Dribbling, passing, defending , scoring all na inborn. If u think say na lie, go field wey dey ur area
Get 30 boys, give them passing drills for 2weeks, u go confirm am.
U can only develop what is inborn.
That's why many pupils passed through the same La Masia academy(with all the drills, conditioning, positional play, tactis, scoring drills) many still no sabi play ball
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kentebemoney: 11:11am On Oct 14, 2020
Tinneh:
Truth is I had hopes that Oga rohr would come through if given time like westerhof, but it seems na lie o.
4 years into the job and we still play like amatures, no tactical inputs
We even play more maturely when using 3-5-2 than this 4-3-3
The way things are going rohr may not see Qatar world cup o

No pattern
Late sub's
No motivation
Just gather players and play
Na 4-4-2 we play yesterday
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chrisooblog: 11:14am On Oct 14, 2020
yeah i think Omeruo is almost past it. he shouldn't be starting matches for the national team again once the other German boys join. can still be part of the squad for his experience until the new guys are eased in.

elunico:
So much for our best defender at the last Afcon, Awaziem is preferred to him. When Ehizube joins the team, it's almost over for his international career.

He won't be missed.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by kentebemoney: 11:22am On Oct 14, 2020
Danielnino00:

Some people we will still use the excuse that he qualified us for the AFCON after 2 years to blackmail us..

4 years with the team and there is now clear pattern,style, identify or whatever for the team ..
It's no wonder he hasn't won anything in his career..... If it was a local coach that got all the support Rohr is getting from the NFF,he would have been fired!
Late Keshi and Amodu qualified us for the world cup and AFCON despite all their indifference with the NFF and they were still fired!
Except for injuries, this team go move mountains for AFCON, na only luck go stop us.

Amodu's case na waaa. Two times? Monkey hand dey inside. Suppose follow him God relate
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 11:24am On Oct 14, 2020
elunico:

Emenike was the only predecessor you could call right? At that period, was Ighalo an upgrade on Emenike?

Aaron Samuel Emenike won the golden boot at the AFCON, who else would I name?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Karlovich: 11:33am On Oct 14, 2020
I noticed from yesterday's game that most of our players like showboating, in situations where a simple pass to someone in a better position could lead to a goal, they just mess things up. I doubt Ejuke would have tried that nonsense he did yesterday at his clubside, they were times when Dessers was through on goal but Iheanacho tried to take defenders on his own or attempt to take the shot himself. Rohr needs to hammer in these player's head that they are not 11 year olds.

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oldboss(m): 11:46am On Oct 14, 2020
Karim Onisiwo: Born in Vienna, Austria, Karim Onisiwo qualifies to play for Nigeria through his father, who is a Nigerian. The 27-year-old started his career with Favoritner AC Youth, but currently plays for Bundesliga side, Mainz 05. He has scored four goals and provided six assists in 24 appearances for Die Nullfünfer this season. He plays as a centre-forward with a height of 1.88m Onisiwo is a married man and has a child. Although he has spent all his life in Austria, he has not featured for the senior national team which makes him still eligible for the Super Eagles.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:50am On Oct 14, 2020
Toylove:

Tijani is a rookie, onyeka is new to the team, balance it up with someone who has experience and used to the team.
QED

I don't really listen to rap, but that notorious song by Eminem, about " seizing the moment"

Comes to mind, Aribo came without pedigree from essentially English league one. Onr game and claimed position.

Joseph Yobo played RB in one Afcon game and claimed jersey. Amunike the same.

If you are not good enough you should not be invited. You don't need experience in the SE to prove you can play.

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Starboytwo(m): 11:55am On Oct 14, 2020
Meself no enjoy yesterday match at all, maybe gernot rohr cannot perform more than what he is currently giving us.... Abeg when him contract dey expire self?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 11:56am On Oct 14, 2020
Oldboss:
Karim Onisiwo: Born in Vienna, Austria,
Karim Onisiwo qualifies to play for
Nigeria through his father, who is a
Nigerian. The 27-year-old started his
career with Favoritner AC Youth, but
currently plays for Bundesliga side, Mainz
He has scored four goals and provided
six assists in 24 appearances for Die
Nullfünfer this season. He plays as a
centre-forward with a height of 1.88m
Onisiwo is a married man and has a
child. Although he has spent all his life in
Austria, he has not featured for the
senior national team which makes him
still eligible for the Super Eagles.

He has featured for the Austrian National team
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 11:56am On Oct 14, 2020
smartsmith0907:

Aina is match rusty he would have pull up ekong like performance yet you guys go still critize rohr grin

Balderdash Aina has been playing for Fulham.

Double standard and favoritism, how many games has Tijani and Musa played this season Let's not even question the quality of the league.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Danielnino00(m): 12:00pm On Oct 14, 2020
I hope the list for November will include players who have been active at club level..
We don't want too many match rusty players in the team abeg...
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by IDENNAA(m): 12:00pm On Oct 14, 2020
forgiveness:
I don't understand why this coach didn't play Agu instead of Ajayi. Ajayi not good enough for the DMF.

Akpoguma is no good on the RB position. He should fight for the CB but seeing Omeruo and Balogun perform well in that position, I don't think he can start games.

He has to compete with Awaziem, Ajayi etc for that position.

Awaziem is good at passing the ball but not good enough for the RB position, he should bring Aina back. He is far better.

Aina, Ebuehi and Ezihubue should slog it out for the RB position.

Zaibu is not better than Collins. Dude looks ordinary for now.

Omeruo and Balogun na boss. I really enjoyed both yesterday. I think they should be starters.

Wow! Ejuke na baller. We need that kind of player in the national team but how can Rohr bring him in just 19 minutes to the end of the match when some players are obviously tired? We wouldn't have known he add something to the team if Rohr didn't play him. The same way he didn't play the goalkeepers.

Iheanacho has improved. I love almost all he did yesterday. Pressing, defending, joining the mildfield etc. Like I said before, I will use him behind the striker.

He should have passed the ball to Desser instead of shooting the ball.

Moses has improved greatly. Obviously the best winger we have now.

Chuks!? I think that coach in Villarreal has brainwashed his brain from taking a shoot. I think Rohr should advise him to try score sometimes when he has the opportunity.

Okoye is a good addition to the team but I don't believe he's better than Alampasu and Yakubu. All I see here is favouritism.

Iwobi was good yesterday. Love the way he tried to protect his mate and make the Tunisian got a yellow.

I don't know why Rohr refused to entrust the DM position to Agu instead of Ajayi. Is Rohr insinuating Ajayi is better in that position? I disagree. Rohr is just biased and prejudice.

Musa. Hmmm

Dessers showed an instinct of a striker with the way he turned and created goal scoring chance out of nothing.

Bring Azeez back to the team.

Awaziem and Omeruo understanding is top notch. Omeruo has added class to his quality. Nice movement with the ball and confidence. I will play him ahead of Eking for now.

Awaziem is beautiful to watch. He is good with the ball in his feet, give decisive passes and knows exactly when to track back. Right now , he is ahead of all the RB in the team including Ebuehi. It beats my imagination why Rohr started Akpoguma in that position ahead of Awaziem.

What a coach!

(1) (2) (3) ... (9804) (9805) (9806) (9807) (9808) (9809) (9810) ... (16209) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: Sugarboyy(m), Famocious(m), zuchyblink(m), TheGoodJoe(m) and 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.