Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,037 members, 7,838,590 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:56 AM

"The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup - Sports (9808) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup (11800113 Views)

Cameroon's Douala Stadium Artificial Grassfield For AFCON 2019 Stolen / Super Eagles Arrive In Uyo, Train Ahead Of Their AFCON 2019 Qualifier (Pictures) / AFCON 2019: Nigeria To Battle South Africa For A Place (Full Draws) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9805) (9806) (9807) (9808) (9809) (9810) (9811) ... (16208) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elunico: 12:03pm On Oct 14, 2020
Oldboss:
Karim Onisiwo: Born in Vienna, Austria,
Karim Onisiwo qualifies to play for
Nigeria through his father, who is a
Nigerian. The 27-year-old started his
career with Favoritner AC Youth, but
currently plays for Bundesliga side, Mainz
He has scored four goals and provided
six assists in 24 appearances for Die
Nullfünfer this season. He plays as a
centre-forward with a height of 1.88m
Onisiwo is a married man and has a
child. Although he has spent all his life in
Austria, he has not featured for the
senior national team which makes him
still eligible for the Super Eagles.

How old is this post.

Dude even has a goal for his national team.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by oloriooko(m): 12:04pm On Oct 14, 2020
Nig vs Tun

1. Okoye showed glimpses of sharpness but needs to be tested with better teams
2. Our back 4 cannot stand the test of slightly above average teams but Balogun came tops of them even though they are all below average
3. Akpoguna is NOT qualified to be in the first team of our below average team so one can imagine how poor he is
4. Playing Semi as DM exposed the below average defence
5. Musa has had his run in the team he should be grounded
6. Alex does not have a commanding influence in the MF but can do damage
7. Chuks has reached his peak, very easily predictable and uneventful but can do better if he gets a better coach in his club
8. Simon showed a little flair on the flanks
9. Kel can be a very dangerous player but he's far from it now
10. Ejuke was all about showboating
Rhor has a whole lot to do for this team to make any meaningful impact in AFCON

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Oldboss(m): 12:05pm On Oct 14, 2020
[quote author=Subzero047 post=94930216]

He has featured for the Austrian National team
ok
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by benji93: 12:05pm On Oct 14, 2020
You probably didn't read my entire post. Alampasu may have featured occasionally for the Fereinse first team, but he featured regularly for their reserve side. Dusseldorf II is a 4th tier German league. That's equal at most equalt to the reserves team of Feirense. The Akatugba issue is not unfair.You definitely missed the context. I was explaining a possible scenario in the lead up to Okoye's call up. Most people barely look beyond the first tier of European football countries. 4th tier is definitely far down, that's not to say you cannot find talented people there. The favouritism point comes from the inconsistency in his decisions. Against Brazil, he brought in Maduka in place of Uzoho. At the time that was fair, even though Ezenwa wasn't brought in instead. You would think ooo, he must have wanted to test Maduka. Why not do the same for others? Nobody should bring up the 10 games in five years argument cos it's even worse for Maduka. He was competing in the 4th tier and he's currently warming the bench for Sparta.
chrisooblog:
Bro like you i agree that Alampasu and Lawal should have been fielded but at the end of the day it's the coaches discretion who he wants to use.

The point about Akatugba is little bit unfair. Oma like any other sports journalist from time immemorial highlighted a talented player it will then be left to the coaching crew to assess if he's good enough.

Alampasu should have been fielded if only for the main fact that he was invited and friendlies are meant to test new players. If Alampasu hadn't been invited i would not have had any issues but his call up is telling me they feel he has some qualities so why not let him showcase it? even if he messed up and we ended up losing isn't it a friendly? anyway what is done is done.

Alampasu himself should continue to improve and get more game time cos playing barely 10 ten games in 5 years for small clubs for that matter is not good enough

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by chuks404: 12:06pm On Oct 14, 2020
ChrisKels:

That is what is called playing to your strength, that shows they have a defined pattern of play and know how to execute it for results. What can you say of Rohr's team? No pattern, no nothing just go in there and expect miracles
. Nice point .nothing like understanding your strength and finding ways to explore your opponent's weakness. Algerians' patterns were clear to see. Same strategy use in afcon was still used to win us. Its quite painful. We ain't saying you win every game but let the tactics show you learnt some lessons . It made our wingers look useless because of wrong deployment. I was particularly pained by the Algeria match.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by IDENNAA(m): 12:07pm On Oct 14, 2020
Omeruo seem a little heavy , though , and the goal was his fault. Ekong is more defensively disciplined. Akpoguma is not quite ready mentally but I believe he can do better.

Omeruo's confidence grew as the game went on but his lack of complete awareness is still his weakness. Omeruo isn't defensively disciplined as Eking and Balogun. Any slick player can easily fool him....same thing happened at the world cup when he gifted Messi an easy goal.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elunico: 12:08pm On Oct 14, 2020
komekn:

Balderdash Aina has been playing for Fulham.

Double standard and favoritism, how many games has Tijani and Musa played this season Let's not even question the quality of the league.

Aina is on his way out of the team except he miraculously improves his game.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by BascoVanVeli(m): 12:25pm On Oct 14, 2020
IDENNAA:
Omeruo seem a little heavy , though , and the goal was his fault. Ekong is more defensively disciplined. Akpoguma is not quite ready mentally but I believe he can do better.

Omeruo's confidence grew as the game went on but his lack of complete awareness is still his weakness. Omeruo isn't defensively disciplined as Eking and Balogun. Any slick player can easily fool him....same thing happened at the world cup when he gifted Messi an easy goal.

So in your footballing mind the goal Messi scored and the one the Tunisian scored were the same type of goals?

Omeruo's performance was head and shoulders above that of Ekong. Simple and plain
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:25pm On Oct 14, 2020
smartsmith0907:

In his last match for Fulham he was a massive flop guess you didn't watch that
I hope you were not blind when musa scored a brace in his first day in training
Akpoguma was the best CB in camp and a makeshift RB he played as a Rb to cover up for semi in the middle thats why in the course of the match he dived to the middle
We need a defensive FB aina won't give us this rather he will expose our RB so what the hell are you talking about
If not for injury Colin won't have played sanusi was not replaced he was displaced as a result of injury.
Awaziem and akpo are the only two defensive fullback we have and awaziem has been awesome for boavista this season.

That's essentially a whole lot of Balderdash.

A limited training session can not and will not compensate or displace a whole season of consistent quality football in Seria A.

Aina played his first game for Fulham against Wolves. Aina had highest number of touches on the ball in the entire Fulham team. He also played the full 90 minutes plus. And yes l watched the match.

They lost narrowly to Wolves 1-0

The highest rated player was Ademola Lookman.

A match in which Aina has barely had time to get to know his team mates. Played the full 90 minutes hadthe most touches and had to deal with the small matter of Adama Traore. Yet you say he was MASSIVE FLOP.

Awaziem hasn't been impressive and or outstanding for Boavista he has played two games one in which he was very poor and another just about average.

Absolutely without a doubt Awaziem that cannot get near to Porto first team, will not make even the bench in Fulham.

So you are creating your own version of truth, but to what purpose. To justify the unjustifiable.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by AndSunGorilla: 12:32pm On Oct 14, 2020
ChrisKels:

Permit me to copy this verbatim and paste it on on the NFF twitter, this Rohr guy is clueless
Who am I to deny my oga permission, go and and use graffiti it on their Twitter page if possible sef.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:38pm On Oct 14, 2020
elunico:

I still haven't lost hope on him yet.

I saw that moment too, he showed some glimpse of what we should expect. Hopefully he gets back his form before next month games.

Komekn, do you know that Dessers has been opened about his desire to turn up for us even before the last world cup and he's only getting his debut about 3 years later?

Yes l do.

But in a position where you have Osimhen, Ighalo Maja, Onuachu and KC. And he is a bit unlucky because it's not clear if he is any better.

Again a double standard, he should have been given opportunity donkeys ago.

However, Akpoguma who has consistently declared I'm not interested, l want to play for Germany. Changes his mind and within weeks cleared and playing in the SE for 90 minutes.

If you look at our midfield we are crying for new quality input. Yet Ovie who declared over three years ago interested as well as Eze ( abandoned) now he has blown suddenly remembered.

This is about having a level playing field and clear cut measurements and appraisal for selection of players. Not subjective perceptive based judgements.

Tijani was selected, when you look at his relationship with the NFF big wigs and pecuniary interests. It's SHOCKING. But add to that he has done nothing to justify selection beyond future speculation.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:45pm On Oct 14, 2020
ChrisKels:

One of those rare moments we on the same page. Props bro

Let me go an Kill goat in my garden.

I don't care of l am arrested for Animal cruelty by British police. grin grin grin grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:51pm On Oct 14, 2020
kentebemoney:

U realize say, na d coach and him assistants dey see these players for training and u only get snippets from unknown sources?

It doesn't matter AT ALL.

I have seen players in training who are almost rubbish. But on match day, it's a different TING.

In addition if you are rubbish in your team you cannot all of a sudden become Messi in training we are not FOOLS.

Awaziem will never be a better RB than Ebuehi or Aina training or no training. EOD
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:51pm On Oct 14, 2020
Philosopher1979:

I disagree. Any wide player should be able to cross or "bend it like beckham".

It should be BASIC REQUIREMENT.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by charlesemeka85(m): 12:53pm On Oct 14, 2020
the 2 games showed that balogun is our best CB till date and it seem the main reason rohr refused to give up on the pursuit of akpoguma,uduokhai and torunarigha.

ekong against algeria looked lost and shaky while omeruo was a disaster against the cartage eagles.

akpoguma looked comfortable on the ball so i think rohr should experiment combining him with balogun

saw aina in the colors of fulham a week ago and he was off it, dude needs to sit up if not the duo of ehizibue and fit again ebeuehi will drop him to the bench

chukwueze needs to change the dynamism of his game because he is becoming predictable and easy to shut out by the opposition. he should learn to play the simple pass and also put in crosses to the box often.

zaidu have locked down the leftback position because he is miles better than Collins. he joins the attack with ease and returns when needed to carry our his primary responsibility which is to defend. i noticed something in his game against algeria and tunisia which i love so much, he can easily switch play from his position to the right side of the pitch with lovely long passes

moses simon have improved a lot while alex iwobi remains the most classy player in our ranks currently. ademola lookman which i saw a week ago in the epl will be a great addition to the team.

maduka okoye was decent and more games both for club and country will equip him with the needed confidence and exposure to get better

in the case of semi ajayi i do not blame him for his bad outing in the games but rohr who had the luxury of a natural dm in mikel agu but instead preferred fielding ajayi who was a liability all through the games. since he doesn't fancy agu why invite him at the first place?

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:57pm On Oct 14, 2020
IDENNAA:

Awaziem and Omeruo understanding is top notch. Omeruo has added class to his quality. Nice movement with the ball and confidence. I will play him ahead of Eking for now.

Awaziem is beautiful to watch. He is good with the ball in his feet, give decisive passes and knows exactly when to track back. Right now , he is ahead of all the RB in the team including Ebuehi. It beats my imagination why Rohr started Akpoguma in that position ahead of Awaziem.

What a coach!

I was initially shocked that ANYBODY with eyes could make this deduction.

I looked up and saw it was you.

And l thought NO WONDER.

9 Likes 3 Shares

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by cc12(m): 12:57pm On Oct 14, 2020
I'm telling you, I watched the match just to see him play but Rohr being Rohr gave less Ejuke than 20 minutes to play. Rohr should have switched Moses Simon to RM
while Ejuke play the LM but he rather played Ejuke at RM.

chuks404:
. Seriously ooo. There is something special about how ejuke dribbles. He is quite unpredictable.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by komekn(m): 12:58pm On Oct 14, 2020
oloriooko:
Nig vs Tun

2. Our back 4 cannot stand the test of slightly above average teams but Balogun came tops of them even though they are all below average
3. Akpoguna is NOT qualified to be in the first team of our below average team so one can imagine how poor he is
7. Chuks has reached his peak, very easily predictable and uneventful but can do better if he gets a better coach in his club

Agreed without reservation

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by cc12(m): 1:02pm On Oct 14, 2020
He was very awful, he lost possession easily and wasn't able to shield or guard the ball when he possessed with his huge body frame. Ajayi should stick to the defence, he isn't a midfielder.

kentebemoney:

Wetin semi do wrong? I no understand mana!!!

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by daveP(m): 1:26pm On Oct 14, 2020
Danielnino00:

Like somebody said, Right is a manager,not a coach grin
grin grin

I pray the experiment of pegs in holes reduce to at least 20%

Haba.

Well we just gotta give the boys that applauding for ever pressing when not with the ball. That's a new team spirit there. Iwobi even dropped back to help Semi. Made a few defensive tackles.

The setpieces aspect is still pending though. That Omeruo solo run and Ejuke's solo superman drift too....
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elunico: 1:41pm On Oct 14, 2020
BascoVanVeli:

Aaron Samuel Emenike won the golden boot at the AFCON, who else would I name?

Martins was active at the time, Osaze too, Ike Uche as well, why weren't you calling for their return when Ighalo was misfiring.
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by elunico: 1:43pm On Oct 14, 2020
chrisooblog:
yeah i think Omeruo is almost past it. he shouldn't be starting matches for the national team again once the other German boys join. can still be part of the squad for his experience until the new guys are eased in.

Omuero, he good, but, we can do without him.

He can't improve beyond this, his time is past.

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Edopesin: 1:56pm On Oct 14, 2020
oloriooko:
Nig vs Tun

You seem to forget that these friendlies were not played with the first team

Our back 4 have played against way better teams including Brazil and average teams like Algeria, Cameroon and even Tunisia when it mattered with good performances. Two bad games with majority of the players not likely to play on a normal day doesn't change that

Akpoguma played more minutes in a makeshift position, give him a break

3 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by IDENNAA(m): 1:56pm On Oct 14, 2020
komekn:

And l thought NO WONDER.

And your opinion is supposed to bother me...run comot !
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Edopesin: 2:02pm On Oct 14, 2020
komekn:

And l thought NO WONDER.

While the rest of the post is devoid of sense, Asides Ebuehi I'm honestly more comfortable with Awaziem playing in RB than any other player. I'd rather even take a Full back Awaziem than a Center back Awaziem
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 2:06pm On Oct 14, 2020
IDENNAA:

Awaziem and Omeruo understanding is top notch. Omeruo has added class to his quality. Nice movement with the ball and confidence. I will play him ahead of Eking for now.

Awaziem is beautiful to watch. He is good with the ball in his feet, give decisive passes and knows exactly when to track back. Right now , he is ahead of all the RB in the team including Ebuehi. It beats my imagination why Rohr started Akpoguma in that position ahead of Awaziem.

What a coach!

Awaziem I watched was poor yesterday, almost got a red card despite playing less than 15 minutes

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 2:11pm On Oct 14, 2020
BascoVanVeli:

So in your footballing mind the goal Messi scored and the one the Tunisian scored were the same type of goals?

Omeruo's performance was head and shoulders above that of Ekong. Simple and plain

Omeruo is the worst one on one defender we have, remember his clownish performance against Percy Tau?
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by Subzero047: 2:14pm On Oct 14, 2020
charlesemeka85:
the 2 games showed that balogun is our best CB till date and it seem the main reason rohr refused to give up on the pursuit of akpoguma,uduokhai and torunarigha.

ekong against algeria looked lost and shaky while omeruo was a disaster against the cartage eagles.

akpoguma looked comfortable on the ball so i think rohr should experiment combining him with balogun

saw aina in the colors of fulham a week ago and he was off it, dude needs to sit up if not the duo of ehizibue and fit again ebeuehi will drop him to the bench

chukwueze needs to change the dynamism of his game because he is becoming predictable and easy to shut out by the opposition. he should learn to play the simple pass and also put in crosses to the box often.

zaidu have locked down the leftback position because he is miles better than Collins. he joins the attack with ease and returns when needed to carry our his primary responsibility which is to defend. i noticed something in his game against algeria and tunisia which i love so much, he can easily switch play from his position to the right side of the pitch with lovely long passes

moses simon have improved a lot while alex iwobi remains the most classy player in our ranks currently. ademola lookman which i saw a week ago in the epl will be a great addition to the team.

maduka okoye was decent and more games both for club and country will equip him with the needed confidence and exposure to get better

in the case of semi ajayi i do not blame him for his bad outing in the games but rohr who had the luxury of a natural dm in mikel agu but instead preferred fielding ajayi who was a liability all through the games. since he doesn't fancy agu why invite him at the first place?

The Balogun that should retire grin
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 2:17pm On Oct 14, 2020
mostob:
Azeez

there is also one Alhassan. .leicester is monitoring him,

Also, all those MFs in championship,we can still find 2 decent CMs there.
Azeez is already part of the team, forget this Alhassan Abeg we don't have any quality midfielder

2 Likes

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by andrewbaba44: 2:23pm On Oct 14, 2020
oloriooko:
Nig vs Tun

Akpoguma is not qualified to be in first team then please who is qualified ?

U go just watch 1 game then the next thing una go write the player off

1 Like

Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by jihday(m): 2:40pm On Oct 14, 2020
benji93:
I dey boil right now. Make no body kon tell me say Okoye better pass Yakubu and Alampasu. Cos at different times all these goalkeepers have either not been playing consistently or have been completing in lowly rated leagues. On one hand Alampasu had not been playing consistently for Feirense, but he was playing for their reserves. On the other hand Maduka was competing in the German 4th tier. For some, playing for the reserve team of a team competing in the portuguese premier league is better than competing in the 4th level of German football. Besides i remember clearly that, Maduka wasn't always in goal at Dusseldorf. He warmed the bench some of the time. cheesy. I still wonder how he got his first call-up. Either Rohr's searchlights are more intensely beamed onto the German stage or Maduka advertised himself one way or another. I can see one Okatugba(verified twitter account), who claims he's a UEFA certified sports journalist wrote that he told him to create a twitter account, i suppose subsequent to an interview.In the tweet he touted him as Nigeria's next first choice goalkeeper. I suppose some of these posts, with pictures of course could have gotten several retweets until, well the Oyinbo coach couldn't resist it(close to home). cheesy. I will count on the latter to have been the major reason for his call-up, cos i don't know who looks beyond Bundesliga 2. Perhaps the perennial crisis in our goalkeeping department is a reason for casting a wider net. Yakubu, another one is the first goalkeeper for SKF Sered in the slovakian league. I would think this should count as something. At least try him. Meanwhile remember that Maduka was substituted in against Brazil, i mean if you can do that in such a high profile match, why not substitute these other goalkeepers in after about 60 minutes or so. It's not as if the goalkeeper would disrupt the game of play that much. Not that he has any plan anyway. cheesy grin. I do think Rohr made a mistake in this regard. What is good for the goose is good for the gander. The scenario that just played out over 2 games reeks of favouritism. Tactics aside, i am quite dissapointed in this singular action. He could easily polarize the team because of this. People talk. Chukwueze, Iheanacho and Alampasu are member of the same under 17 class. They'll probably sympathize with their brother, moreso Maduka is partly German. Hmmm. This guy is definitely inching towards an imminent sack, probably not because of tactics, cos his employers are as clueless as he is. cheesy
You can say whatever you want to say without twisting narrative, if Uzoho didn't get injured Maduka wouldn't have tasted action that day
Re: "The Super Eagles Thread: The Road To AFCON 2023, 2025 And 2026 World Cup by IDENNAA(m): 2:50pm On Oct 14, 2020
Subzero047:

Awaziem I watched was poor yesterday, almost got a red card despite playing less than 15 minutes

No, he wasn't poor. Very lively and composed rarely put a feet wrong. Immediately he joined the game our right wing became very dangerous. I am more impressed with his 15 minutes than anything Akpoguma and Ebuehi played

(1) (2) (3) ... (9805) (9806) (9807) (9808) (9809) (9810) (9811) ... (16208) (Reply)

Viewing this topic: typicalgamer(m), Datakey and 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.