Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,040 members, 7,818,085 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:21 AM

How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? (249920 Views)

Electricity Workers Protest Over Non-Payment Of Salary In Lagos (Photos) / Osun Lecturer Faints In Bank After Finding N150 As February Salary In Account / Salary In The Nigerian Army? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by viviansam(f): 4:00pm On Dec 23, 2005
Seun, Ok a good salary in naija... no answer abeg.... some pple are well paid some just work to be busy.... I think the nat assembly shld make a law dat Govt pays all naijans a minimum wage for the dividends of the fuel price increase ... instead of this jamboree they are doing in the name of governance.
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by Seun(m): 8:26pm On Dec 25, 2005
Minimum wage legislation increases unemployment because affected companies will have to sack some workers in order to be able to afford the higher salaries. Is that what we need in Nigeria? So let's be careful what you we wish for.
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by Pampi(m): 3:51pm On Dec 31, 2005
A lot of things said, but here is the reality.

One man businesses such as yours usually don't pay the dream salaries but they make up for it in excellent training. Whatever u pay a fresh graduate the most important thing you can give him or her is a solid beginning. But I recommend a minimum salary of 25K for freshers if you can afford it and if you can afford more then raise it.

Take me for instance, my first job in 1999 was for a small consulting firm (engineers/project managers) and my salary was 10K. I spent 5 years in that firm and my last salary there was 45K. But i had bought a car, could take up any engineering design job, became a registered engineer and finished a masters degree and got married. I left the consulting for a FCMG and I'm now in a bank.

So over the training not the salary.
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by niniowo(f): 6:00pm On Jan 03, 2006
Average companies/firms employ average people and pay them average salary. The converse is also true of good company. There is no universal index of good salary. Top law firms in Nigeria pay about N100,000 per month. The same thing applies for other good companies like the new generation banks. Above them are the Consulting firms, IT and Oil companies; they pay between 120-250. Below them are average companies that pay 50,000.This is also the category of public( government service). At the basement, you have private one man firms; if you are lucky, you can go home( hope it will take you home) with 10-15,000 in a month.
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by PrepaidNG(m): 3:30am On Jan 05, 2006
Personally, and considering the high cost of living in the major cities in Nigeria,
I will recommend a minimum N100k per month for fresh graduates.

One will be amazed how little N100k can do for a grad who has no financial
assistance from parents

www.prepaidnigeria.com - A better way to recharge!

Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by Littleone(m): 12:35pm On Jan 05, 2006
A good salary is on that makes you meet up with your responsibility. For more fresher in establishments other than banks and oil industry, the entry income is between 40k - 50k. The question should be : In the Nigerian setting, what is an adequate salary? grin
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by gabuu(m): 4:55pm On Jan 05, 2006
Hello seun.
If Understand you correctlly, you want to know "how much is a good salary in Nigeri'? This is my answer.
1. calculate what it will cost you to commute to work daily (Either public or own car-private)
2. the cost of lunch
3. Accomodation
4. health (that is if the organization place a ceiling on the amount it intends to spend in a given month)
5. Family/friends\
6. Miscellaneous (trust the family, they can drop without notice)
7. 10% of total salary as savings
it is only after deducting all these that you arrive at your salary. If it takes you home fine and good, if it finish before you climb the 3rd mainland bridge I am sorry, you are not earning good salary. even if your pay cheque reads 4M.
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by gabuu(m): 5:05pm On Jan 05, 2006
P.S
most graduates get carried away by what their payslips read and they go spending without proper budgeting not realizing that YOU MAKE THE SALARY COUNTS and not the other way round.
My first boss after graduation gave me this advice 'Never accept a job because of the pay but the oppurtunity it offers'. most graduates would prefer to earn fat salary while neglecting to develop themselves in their relevant fields. gradually they grow to accomodate their salary and the rat race begings again looking for a new place to work etc.

Presently I personally earn less than 1m per annum working for a telecoms company as a sales person. but the commision I get from the sales is to say the least SWEET.
salesmen rule
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by vizion: 1:09pm On Jan 06, 2006
Pampi:

A lot of things said, but here is the reality.

One man businesses such as yours usually don't pay the dream salaries but they make up for it in excellent training. Whatever u pay a fresh graduate the most important thing you can give him or her is a solid beginning. But I recommend a minimum salary of 25K for freshers if you can afford it and if you can afford more then raise it.

Take me for instance, my first job in 1999 was for a small consulting firm (engineers/project managers) and my salary was 10K. I spent 5 years in that firm and my last salary there was 45K. But i had bought a car, could take up any engineering design job, became a registered engineer and finished a masters degree and got married. I left the consulting for a FCMG and I'm now in a bank.

So over the training not the salary.

are u sure u did all this stuff only on ur salary?
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by Proffesor(m): 3:34pm On Jan 07, 2006
N30 000 is ok
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by prettyH(f): 12:11am On Jan 08, 2006
Proffesor:

N30 000 is ok

Okay for what??

gabuu:

Hello seun.
If Understand you correctlly, you want to know "how much is a good salary in Nigeri'? This is my answer.
1. calculate what it will cost you to commute to work daily (Either public or own car-private)
2. the cost of lunch
3. Accomodation
4. health (that is if the organization place a ceiling on the amount it intends to spend in a given month)
5. Family/friends\
6. Miscellaneous (trust the family, they can drop without notice)
7. 10% of total salary as savings
it is only after deducting all these that you arrive at your salary. If it takes you home fine and good, if it finish before you climb the 3rd mainland bridge I am sorry, you are not earning good salary. even if your pay cheque reads 4M.

True... U've got a point there.
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by Pampi(m): 4:30pm On Jan 08, 2006
U bet all that happened with that salary, but its not easy. The trusth is that well over 70% of graduates earn less than 100k per month even with 10years experience. those that don't are a mere <5% of graduates.

Like I said use the oppurtunity u get not the salary.
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by larger20(m): 1:00am On Jan 23, 2006
Some private companies pay more than oil companies. I know this for sure....People that control funds of private investors ain the highest rate per month, Dangote, clemco rice, etc
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by Nobody: 11:22am On Jan 23, 2006
For entry level u can get up to 100k and above in nigerian naira. i started with 125k, move to 156k then 216k all under two years in the banking sector!
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by yemupz(m): 1:04pm On Jan 31, 2006
i must confess most of u guys aint really facing reality. I read most of the post about 'good salary' in naija and i just can't help laughing. the truth is that there is not single answer as the gap between the well paid and the poorly paid can be really agonising. I have a friend with a B.Sc Microbiology from Unilag that earns 15k a month. I know someone with B.Sc marketing from UNN that earns 20k monthly. I was working almost 13hrs daily for my former boss and he won't pay more than 25k monthly. i had to resign out of annoyance and just 'sit at home' and wait instead of rot away in such a job.
Although, i also have a freind in GTbank that earns 90k (after tax) monthly. You see, the word salary means different things in different industries. Some IT firms pay as low as 20k monthly, i know abt two in Ikeja.
The best paying jobs seems to be oil & Gas, Telecoms (the big ones) and Banks. the worst paying are Pharmaceutical companies, medical labs and esentially most one-man-business.
I can go on and on recounting experiences...
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by kenflavor(m): 1:17pm On Jan 31, 2006
@yemupz

I will advice you go see the first page and you will see that I had already spelt it out for you
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by larger20(m): 1:09am On Feb 01, 2006
yemupz:

i must confess most of u guys aint really facing reality. I read most of the post about 'good salary' in naija and i just can't help laughing. the truth is that there is not single answer as the gap between the well paid and the poorly paid can be really agonising. I have a friend with a B.Sc Microbiology from Unilag that earns 15k a month. I know someone with B.Sc marketing from UNN that earns 20k monthly. I was working almost 13hrs daily for my former boss and he won't pay more than 25k monthly. i had to resign out of annoyance and just 'sit at home' and wait instead of rot away in such a job.
Although, i also have a freind in GTbank that earns 90k (after tax) monthly. You see, the word salary means different things in different industries. Some IT firms pay as low as 20k monthly, i know about two in Ikeja.
The best paying jobs seems to be oil & Gas, Telecoms (the big ones) and Banks. the worst paying are Pharmaceutical companies, medical labs and esentially most one-man-business.
I can go on and on recounting experiences...

Why not continue with your job until u get a new one..thats annoying...
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by phoneman(m): 12:14am On Feb 12, 2006
I make N.6million a month after tax, and I was complaining b4 i saw this post. That is horrible that these companies pay so low. I truly am surprised. Well the only advice i can give is do what makes you happy cos I certainly hate my job.
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by Hotstepper(f): 5:22am On Feb 13, 2006
@phoneman, 6 million Niara, gurl, r u based in Nigeria or outside and wat do u do as ur job? tongue
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by Hotstepper(f): 5:30am On Feb 13, 2006
if i may ask my good people here, how much will sum who skooled abroad with a pols. science degree be paid in Nigeria? tongue
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by Seun(m): 6:51am On Feb 13, 2006
Political science? Well you will be paid the same as what a graduate of Yoruba will be paid. grin

Ok, ok, I guess it depends entirely on the job. However, the better your qualification the more you will be paid for the same job (I wonder why!)
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by larger20(m): 6:53am On Feb 13, 2006
phoneman:

I make N.6million a month after tax, and I was complaining before i saw this post. That is horrible that these companies pay so low. I truly am surprised. Well the only advice i can give is do what makes you happy because I certainly hate my job.

hey do u mean 0.6 millon or 6 millon naira per month
Nigeria??
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by Hotstepper(f): 2:55pm On Feb 13, 2006
@Seun, why da same as a yoruba person? does it mean yorubaz get paid higher dan anyother tribe in Nigeria? but still, u haven't answered ma question. Wat is it dat they r likely 2 pay sum1 4 a month and ui heard ppl dat skooled abraod alwayz get paid higher dan those dat skooled in nigeria and 2ndly, i fu gat connections 2? so am waiting, 10x

1 Like

Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by yemupz(m): 6:50pm On Feb 13, 2006
larger_20:

Why not continue with your job until u get a new one, thats annoying,
Maybe u shouldn't always think like nigerians. Life will go on, whatever d situation, you know, abi?
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by larger20(m): 7:03pm On Feb 13, 2006
yemupz:

Maybe u shouldn't always think like nigerians. Life will go on, whatever d situation, you know, abi?

Well in a situation like nigerian case, u have no choice but to think like that , maybe u r full of ur self and have enough doh to keep u while u last.
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by yemupz(m): 7:19pm On Feb 13, 2006
larger_20:

Well in a situation like nigerian case, u have no choice but to think like that , maybe you're full of your self and have enough doh to keep u while u last.
I Think the problem is dt, we nigerians accepted our fate without moving a finger, why should we always beleive 'there is no choice'. If i shld tell u d truth, when i resigned, it was d craziest thing on earth to do, i was completely broke, i just spent my last bucks renting a new apartment and was even still striving to do d furnishings. But since then, i have been surviving and even getting on. I am a strong beleiver in fate. I beleive, we will all get to where we are bound, no matter what. Maybe u shld share my beleif. There is never a time in life when dr is no other choice, things don't happen like dt.
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by larger20(m): 7:50pm On Feb 13, 2006
yemupz:

I Think the problem is dt, we nigerians accepted our fate without moving a finger, why should we always beleive 'there is no choice'. If i shld tell u d truth, when i resigned, it was d craziest thing on earth to do, i was completely broke, i just spent my last bucks renting a new apartment and was even still striving to do d furnishings. But since then, i have been surviving and even getting on. I am a strong beleiver in fate. I beleive, we will all get to where we are bound, no matter what. Maybe u shld share my beleif. There is never a time in life when dr is no other choice, things don't happen like dt.

We dont have a lot of such "chances"in nigeria and things are not that transparent as you wish. iN america someone can get fired today and get another job tomorrow, nigeria hmm it might take connection even if u qualify, that is my point. good luck anyways.
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by teefah(f): 11:34am On Feb 14, 2006
Salaries for a fresh graduate ranges btw 15k-150k. If u are lucky to get a job that pays above 40k you are one of the lucky few and the envy of ur peers.

After service year, i got a job that paid 15k, this means that as a corper i was better paid, i earned 17.5k as a corper (fed govt+organisation). From this i got another job that pays 40k and i had a long list of graduates begging to take my place at the 15k job. Note that the 15k job does not come with any benefit.

I have a friend that earns 10k a month as a graduate but will never leave the job cos in a good month she makes over 250k as 1% commission on sales and in a bad month, she goes home with just 10k.
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by larger20(m): 11:19pm On Feb 15, 2006
@teefat

40K that is $330 per month in the US. Still I can see why 40K is a good pay for someone living in nigeria cos with that money, u ca n buy everything u need unlike in the US which is why they pay more here. My first job offer starting this summer is $45K per year and that is entry level. I dont know if i will take it but i will let u know where i end up if u r intrested.

Elo
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by nikinash(f): 10:17am On Feb 20, 2006
A good salary should be one that caters to your housing, transport, feeding, clothing, entertainment, and miscellaneous needs according to your taste

a good salary will be something that you can conveniently live with, without being a spend-thrift, but besides that i think working for yourself is still the ultimate.
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by qleyo(f): 4:14pm On Feb 20, 2006
lol, I love this post!
Re: How Much is a Good Salary in Nigeria? by dappy777(m): 11:36am On Feb 22, 2006
A good salary will start from 5m
Consulting pays 1.5m average for starters.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Pharmacists, Pharmacy Students And Interns. At Home Or Abroad, Let's Meet Here. / Medical Laboratory Scientists Forum / Nigerian Prospective Medical Interns 2017

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.