Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,231 members, 7,818,781 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 02:55 AM

Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? (43398 Views)

Poll: Does the New Testament require us to tithe?

Yes: 38% (28 votes)
No: 61% (44 votes)
This poll has ended

Who Says God Can Not Change Your Story (photo) / Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant / The Truth Your Pastor Would Not Tell You About Tithes: Tithing Is Unscriptural U (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 12:39pm On Aug 22, 2009
@ Chukwudi44,

for the little time i have had to read ur comments on religion section, believe me am turned-off at the level of your knowledge, what you actually do is argue rather than oppose cleverly or discuss as it should be. I say it here time and time again that we should approach the scriptures with unbaised mindset and then can we both see the truth for ourselves. But it appears to me you just pick logics and intellect (sensual wisdom) and you pour it out maybe to win some battles i dont know like your mentor KunleOshod praised you for. cheesy

However i'll commend you for how you replied |Gentle me| for his harsh post at you.though you had the opportunity to insult him back but then you introduced a calm attribute for the 1st time and i hail you for that.God bless you my friend and brother!

Back to the topic:

I read your writing to Oladegbu that the issue of tenthing in titheing was borrowed from the Mosaic law.do you mean to tell me Abraham who tenthed (Gen.14:20)and Jacob who tenthed (Gen.28:22) all did so because Moses told them to?, didnt they exist b4 the Mosaic law was given?. The question nobody has been able to answer me here is this: "If Titheing began with the Law, why then did Abraham and Jacob both practised it even b4 the Mosaic law was given?" Do you mean to tell me that Moses appeared to them and told them to? na wa o! we both know that this men both existed b4 the Law, so why then did they tithe.

What we guys do here is to read passages in the bible and pick it anonymously without having an indepth knowledge of how the term or phrase or word or vocabulary originated. I have sincerely explained it here that Titheing(tenthing) was never a law, it was a practise that began b4 the law and was only borrowed by the mosaic dispensation to explain a point. The Law is a different thing altogether from standards(tenthing for example). Standards are trails that have always existed, while Law is a document that binds how this standards should be practised.Do you understand?Make research for yourself.ok!

You also said there wasnt any place that introduced money as a model for titheing, Yes you're right, but then you are very wrong because if you understand the full significance of tenthing beleive me you'd rather stick to just giving money. How i mean:, In Gen.14:20 - it said "and abram gave him a [size=13pt]tenth of ALL[/size]after he(abram) had returned with spoils from a great battle, now i ask , doesnt something ring a bell in your brain that amongst the spoils were GOLD, SILVER,DIAMONDS, GARMENTS, FINEWOODS and lots more, Chukwudi44 do you mean to tell me that you dont know that those things were the money or currency Men used back then? And again, Jacob in Gen.28:22 - Jacob said, if God would give him all that he asked for, then he would give back a [size=13pt]TENTH OF ALL[/size], hello? so becos Moses commanded the israelites in his era to give produce as tenths, do you mean to tell me that others never gave beyond that?

Now again let me explain a little about why it was all about crops and farm produces in The mosaic era as it appears you know little or nothing about what you're arguing about, When the Children of Israel came out of Egypt, God instructed Moses that the Israelites should not mingle themselves with any other nation as they belonged to Him(God) and Him alone lest they be defiled. Now the consequence of that instruction meant that no trading should be done by them with other nations (heathens) and as such, no essence for money, because he was to give them a portion each for every tribe of israel from the land of canaan. He knew there was no means of getting money as no trade-by-barter would exist, hence the flocks and produce would be the only means to still get them to maintain the ancestral but divine standard of tithing. this issue could create another topic if i go on and on.I wish you'll understand.

Now to the other question you asked of why titheing should be daily, weekly, monthly?, my answer to you is this, i cant find any portion of the scriptures that said i should give daily, weekly, monthly, what i find is that i should give mine from my INCREASE, now i ask my self, how often do i get increase of my seed(income) the answer is MONTHLY of course, so then i tithe monthly, now another person could decide to gather up all their increase and offer at a stipulated date.Why should it be anyone's bizness if they do so, afterall "whatever we do, we do unto God and not unto man" (scriptures says)

I'll stop here for you now
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 12:44pm On Aug 22, 2009
@OLAADEGBU,

My brother you made a point there, but beleive me humans are refusing to pay just a tenth how much then can wwe get them to give a whole aas the widow did, hmmmm na die dem go die finish b dat o! cheesy cheesy cheesy

Thanks for the contributions i learnt too!
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 12:58pm On Aug 22, 2009
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Recognise: 1:02pm On Aug 22, 2009
OLAADEGBU Today at 12:20:41 PM :

Re: #113 Is It Ok To Pay My Tithes To Different Churches?

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-311092.96.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@ Chukwudi44 & Ogajim,

Save your sermons for your Psalms 41:9 friends, as for me I still lay claim to Philippians.4:19.

@OLAADEGBU

- OLAADEGBU

Fellow lord an peer

grin Loved that Psalms 41:9 quote grin

grin Trust the Bible to already have a "song lyric" for back then and modern time Judas' grin

Brilliant 419 quote off the Bible - well spotted grin

Yup! as for I and my household we too are Philippians.4:19  wink

@Chukwudi44

Not exactly sure of this though . . .

Is Chukwudi44 a christian, christian RCC, RCC christian, or just RCC

"Christian RCC" means Christian first then RCC following and vice versa  grin

It'll be nice to know and could put things into perspective . . .
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 1:18pm On Aug 22, 2009
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:22pm On Aug 22, 2009
Recognise:

@OLAADEGBU

- OLAADEGBU

Fellow lord an peer

grin Loved that Psalms 41:9 quote grin

grin Trust the Bible to already have a "song lyric" for back then and modern time Judas' grin

Brilliant 419 quote off the Bible - well spotted grin

Yup! as for I and my household we too are Philippians.4:19 wink

My fellow soldier in Christ,

Well, the Bible, as you can see, is fresher than tomorrow's newspaper. Even back in the days of David, he had a time travel machine to tell him of that shady character, Judas. But what is more amazing is that it also portrays some peeps who pretend to be concerned about the poor and needy but would not want tithes and offering to be practised. Look at the story of Judas below.

"Then Jesus six days before the passover came to Bethany, where Lazarus was, which had been dead, whom he raised from the dead. There they made him a supper; and Martha served: but Lazarus was one of them that sat at the table with him. Then took Mary a pound of ointment of spikenard, very costly, and anointed the feet of Jesus, and wiped his feet with her hair: and the house was filled with the odour of the ointment. Then saith one of his disciples, [b]Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, which should betray him, [i]Why was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the poor? This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein[/i].[/b] Then said Jesus, Let her alone: against the day of my burying hath she kept this. For the poor always ye have with you; but me ye have not always."

Here you can see how the present day Psalms 41:9 friends cannot stand the giving to the work of God because they are "really concerned about the poor". undecided

-- [size=8pt]John 12:1-8
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:38pm On Aug 22, 2009
Tonye-t:

@OLAADEGBU,

My brother you made a point there, but beleive me humans are refusing to pay just a tenth how much then can wwe get them to give a whole aas the widow did, hmmmm na die dem go die finish b dat o! cheesy cheesy cheesy

Thanks for the contributions i learnt too!

You are welcome, anytime.  I also read your opening posts today and it was illuminating. May God richly bless you.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Recognise: 2:50pm On Aug 22, 2009
OLAADEGBU:

My fellow soldier in Christ,

Well, the Bible, as you can see, is fresher than tomorrow's newspaper.

Even back in the days of David, he had a time travel machine to tell him of that shady character, Judas.

But what is more amazing is that it also portrays some peeps who pretend to be concerned about the poor

and needy but would not want tithes and offering to be practised.

Look at the story of Judas below . . .

. . .  Then said Jesus,

"Let her alone: against the day of my burying hath she kept this.

For the poor always ye have with you; but me ye have not always
"

Here you can see how the present day Psalms 41:9 friends cannot stand the giving to the work of God

because they are "really concerned about the poor". undecided

-- John 12:1-8

OLAADEGBU

-OLAADEGBU

True talk, true talk fellow lord & peer . . .

Bet you already know why peeps especially "christians" are po grin

noticed its po even worse than poor grin

Its because they only follow the person of Jesus alone

and dont follow His principle(s) hence the po poor position

The irony is that unbelievers (i.e. the world) on the other hand follow the principle(s) of Jesus to prosper

but stops short at following the person of Jesus.

The person & principles of Jesus is a complete package, kinda like a coin, they go hand-in-hand together

The head & tail makes a coin a legal tender.

Without either on a coin, the coin is a dud, a fake

The person & principles of Jesus leads one to Salvation & Prosperity
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 2:58pm On Aug 22, 2009
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 7:28pm On Aug 22, 2009
@tonye-t,oladeegbu and co
I asked some simple questions instead of answering you keep posting irrelevant bible quotations that has nothing to do with tithing rather with freewill giving.I have nothing against freewill donation even if it is up mnto 100%.

Please kindly provide answers to questions below

1 where is it in the Bible that christians paid or were asked to pay tithes?

2.is there anywhere in the Bible that tithes was paid with money?

3.The tithe paid by Abraham was done just once in his lifetime while the levitical tithe was just once in 3 years(deut 14:28,deut 26:12),how come tithing (illegal) today is done daily,weekly or monthly?
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ttalks(m): 5:41pm On Aug 23, 2009
OLAADEGBU:

Let us list the examples of those who paid tithes in the Bible and see whether we have principles to follow and appreciate.

Abraham (Genesis 14:20; Heb.7:1-11)

Jacob (Gen.28:22)

Levi in Abraham (Heb.7:9)

Hezekiah and Israel (2 Chronicles 31)

Hypocrites (Matthew 23:23; Luke 11:42; 18:12)

Christians (1 Corinthians 9:7-14; 16:2; 2 Cor. 8:1-15; Gal. 6:6; 1 Tim. 5:17-18; Heb.7)

There is no where in the Bible that mentions a substitute programme for tithing in the New Testament.

Hmmm,,

@Olaadegbu,

majority of your posts on other issues pertaining to Christianity have been ok from my own point of view;and probably others' too.
But this issue of tithes is where I completely disagree with u.

The verses u indicated above as regards Christians were never indicated in the bible to be tithes. Anybody who is sincerely honest with himself/herself will know that those verses were referring to any form of freewill giving;which has no structure or stipulation.
They are offerings that people determined on their own as regards the amount or definition of what to give; which we all know is not in accordance to the rule of tithes.

You might read them to be tithes because u are partial to tithes;u're viewing them with a partial view, not an honest or impartial/objective view.

I wonder why people still use Jacob's scenario of tithes to promote tithe paying.
Jacob said he would pay the tithe only if God did some particular things for him; meaning that if God did not do those things, he wouldn't pay the tithe.
His promise to tithe was based on a condition being fulfilled.
That negates the rule of tithes which we know everywhere.
In the Christian world today, people don't pay tithes because of any condition they give to God; they pay because they feel they are under obligation to do so.

Hebrews 7 was not talking about tithes to validate them in Christian practice, rather it used the issue of tithes to show the superiority of Christ's priesthood to that of Melchizedek. It was never about the tithes.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by OLAADEGBU(m): 1:34pm On Aug 24, 2009
Let us consider what the biblical purposes and principles of tithing that can guide believers in Christ.

Bible Readings: Deut. 14:22-29 and Mark 12:41-44

"Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year. And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always.  And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the LORD thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the LORD thy God hath blessed thee: Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose: . . ." -- Deut.14:22-25

We can learn from the passage above that tithing is a clear way to demonstrate our priorities.  The Bible makes the purpose of tithing very clear, and this is to put God first in our lives.  We are to give God the first and best of what we earn.  For example, what we do first with our money shows what we value most.  Giving the first part of our wages to God immediately focuses our attention on Him.  It also reminds us that all we have belongs to Him.  A habit of regular tithing can keep God at the top of our priority list and give us a proper perspective on everything else we have.

"And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much.  And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which makes a farthing.  And He called unto Him His disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury; For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living." -- Mark 12:41-44

Tithing should remind us of God's desire that we should be generous.  In the Lord's eyes, this poor widow gave more than all the others put together, though her gift was by far the smallest.  The value of a gift is not determined by its amount, but by the spirit in which it is given.  A gift given grudgingly or for recognition loses its value.  When you give, remember that it doesn't matter how small or large your income is, your tithes can only be pleasing to God when it is given out of gratitude and a spirit of generosity.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 3:37pm On Aug 24, 2009
When would people spreading this demonic heresy and false teachings inspired by greed and love for filthy lucre popularly called tithes.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 3:45pm On Aug 24, 2009
@Chukwudi44,

i answered questions you asked on saturday but my post was attacked with a spam which seun sorted out for me this morning, so you could read my post.

thanks
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 5:24pm On Aug 24, 2009
OLAADEGBU:

Let us consider what the biblical purposes and principles of tithing that can guide believers in Christ.

Bible Readings: Deut. 14:22-29 and Mark 12:41-44

"Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year. And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always. And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the LORD thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the LORD thy God hath blessed thee: Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose: . . ." -- Deut.14:22-25

We can learn from the passage above that tithing is a clear way to demonstrate our priorities. The Bible makes the purpose of tithing very clear, and this is to put God first in our lives. We are to give God the first and best of what we earn. For example, what we do first with our money shows what we value most. Giving the first part of our wages to God immediately focuses our attention on Him. It also reminds us that all we have belongs to Him. A habit of regular tithing can keep God at the top of our priority list and give us a proper perspective on everything else we have.

"And Jesus sat over against the treasury, and beheld how the people cast money into the treasury: and many that were rich cast in much. And there came a certain poor widow, and she threw in two mites, which makes a farthing. And He called unto Him His disciples, and saith unto them, Verily I say unto you, That this poor widow hath cast more in, than all they which have cast into the treasury; For all they did cast in of their abundance; but she of her want did cast in all that she had, even all her living." -- Mark 12:41-44

Tithing should remind us of God's desire that we should be generous. In the Lord's eyes, this poor widow gave more than all the others put together, though her gift was by far the smallest. The value of a gift is not determined by its amount, but by the spirit in which it is given. A gift given grudgingly or for recognition loses its value. When you give, remember that it doesn't matter how small or large your income is, your tithes can only be pleasing to God when it is given out of gratitude and a spirit of generosity.

Oladeegbu please complete that quotation from deut14:22-29 what should te tither do withthe money on getting to the place the LORD has chosen to be worshipped ?

And to the other highighted text do you think burnt offerings were instituted to make them not be afraid of the Lord their God ?

Oladeegbu I suspect somehow you are benefitting from this scam
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:59pm On Aug 24, 2009
Weighty Matters

"Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone." (Matthew 23:23)

This particular "woe" among the eight in Matthew 23 is often only partially proclaimed. Usually, sermons are delivered about the "judgment, mercy, and faith" that are indeed the "weightier matters of the law"--but Christ’s somewhat offhand remark on the responsibility to tithe is either ignored or downplayed.

Surely the legalistic and public display of "obedience" to the law is condemned by Jesus. He rebuked these same men for their desire to show their spirituality. "Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men" (Matthew 6:2). But Jesus also said in our text that they "ought . . . to have done" the tithing of their wealth.

The condemnation is that this kind of hypocrite seeks only his name in a bulletin, or a plaque on a wall, or a brick in a walkway, or a wing in a hospital or museum, and is indifferent to the quiet, background work of ministry that doles out judgment, mercy, and faith.

Jesus measures "weightier matters" this way: "I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me" (Matthew 25:35-36). "Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me" (Matthew 25:40).

If we wish to honour and please our Lord, He expects us to do both: faithful tithes and offerings, and judgment, mercy, and faith. HMM III
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 9:38am On Aug 25, 2009
This is what i have been sounding repeatedly all thru' this thread:

Matt.23:23 -
23 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, [size=13pt]without leaving the others undone[/size].
NKJV

what is the "other" that should not be left undone?

Answer: TITHE

dont you guys see it for yourselves? Titheing remains much relevant today in our christian faith, It is used to edify the body of Christ

@Jesoul,

I really took my time to explain certain things to you on saturday , but my mail was attacked with a spam that seun removed, it appears to me that you really dont understand or rather mistake LIBERALITY for LIBERTY, as your post from Rom.14 appears my affirmative, Jesoul go back and read that passage better , you are getting yourself and everyother person who cares to, confused!

Becos you give money to your little neighbor, or whomsoever you willeth, doesnt mean you have obeyed what was instructed you, titheing is an instruction not a suggestion. "OBEDIENCE IS BETTER THAN SACRIFICE".

How i wish i could get that post i tried posting because i really used all passion in me to explain it, well i wish you go back to that scriptures and see that what it was saying was plainly about food and season (which are doctrines, and we know that doctrines was accepted in 2tim.3:16) while titheing remains a spiritual standard(titheing is not a doctrine and thus it not an option for some to give while others refrain, we are to give our tithes, Jesus said practice faithfulness, justice and righteousness and also dont leave titheing undone).

The problem is that alot of us use words and terms without knowing their original significance:

- Doctrines are not to be mistaken for standards,

How?

Faithfulness is a standard, Love is a standard, Holiness is a standard,

Food is a doctrine, dressing is a doctrine,

This the reason why some members of deeper life church for example will go to heaven and hell also, because clothing does not affect your relationship with God, it only does with man, A vegetarian who believes in Jesus christ can go to heaven while he can still go to hell if he lives in sin. One who celebrates xmas or easter can still go to heaven or hell.

But if you dont practice faithfulness, love, holiness and other standards you will go to hell, believe it or not! do you understand

we should understand the significance of all passages in the bible and not mistake one for the other.

God bless you!
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 10:15am On Aug 25, 2009
I pray that God would have mercy on the souls of all these charlatans using his word and his name to defraud millions of innocent believers all over the world of their hard earned money by twisting of the scriptures, can you imagine someone now saying tithing is a standard What is the scriptural" basis for this evil,demonic and oppressive heresy? The length some people would go to twist scripture for the sake of filthy lucre.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by petres007(m): 12:00pm On Aug 25, 2009
Jagoon:

I pray that God would have mercy on the souls of all these charlatans using his word and his name to defraud millions of innocent believers all over the world of their hard earned money by twisting of the scriptures, can you imagine someone now saying tithing is a standard What is the scriptural" basis for this evil,demonic and oppressive heresy? The length some people would go to twist scripture for the sake of filthy lucre.

Jagoon,

I don tire sef. Its like rightly handling the word of truth is no longer fashionable. I refuse to join the trend sha! grin
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 12:23pm On Aug 25, 2009
Matt.23:23 -
23 "Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have neglected the weightier matters of the law: justice and mercy and faith. These you ought to have done, without leaving the others undone.
NKJV

I have addressed this issue over and over again yet it keeps on comming up,the boldened part says it all that titithing was part of the law,mind you while Jesus made that statement the law was still valid so was tithing and burnt ofering.

When Jesus was presented to the synaggogue on the eight day Joseph and Mary sacrificed 2 pigeons to God are you saying we should continue with this practise today?

Simple questions

show me where christians practised tithing in the Bible

Also Biblically show me how the tithing frequency was increased from once in 3 yeears(deut 14:28,deut 26:12) to daily weekly and monthly tithing practised today?

Show me where vi the Bible it was stated that Money could be tithed ?

Go straight to te point and stop beating around the bush

. "OBEDIENCE IS BETTER THAN SACRIFICE".
[\quote]

That is why you should simply obey the biblical injunction that the jewish law has been abolished and should be stopped instead of trying to bribe God withMoney he never requested for.

Mr Tonye-t could you please explain what you mean by standard and where is that in the Bible
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 1:36pm On Aug 25, 2009
@Chukwudi44,

The problem here is that you dont read the other's post because if you do then all the questions u are asking u'd have seen dem even right from the inception of the thread, i have taken my time to explain standards for you, i have taken my time to explain why they are made money,i have taken the time to explain why it could be weekly, daily, monthly, yearly or centurily(for all we care), i have taken the time to explain what laws are from standards and principles, and also dont tell me u did not read the post i sent on saturday, it explained it all, and you're still coming up here and asking the same questions, aint that strange? maybe u r still finding it hard to digest the truth, hmm i could give you water u know cheesy cheesy !

refer back to the post dated saturday and read b4 u post.

thank u
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 7:46am On Aug 26, 2009
Tonye-t:

@Chukwudi44,

The problem here is that you dont read the other's post because if you do then all the questions u are asking u'd have seen dem even right from the inception of the thread, i have taken my time to explain standards for you, i have taken my time to explain why they are made money,i have taken the time to explain why it could be weekly, daily, monthly, yearly or centurily(for all we care), i have taken the time to explain what laws are from standards and principles, and also dont tell me u did not read the post i sent on saturday, it explained it all, and you're still coming up here and asking the same questions, aint that strange? maybe u r still finding it hard to digest the truth, hmm i could give you water u know cheesy cheesy !

refer back to the post dated saturday and read b4 u post.

thank u

MY MAN STOP RANTING AND SHOW ME WHRE THE WORD STANDARD IS IN THEBIBLE AND WHERE IT IS USED TO DESCRIBE TITHING.

ALSO SHOW ME HOW THIS DEBASED STANDARD INCREASED TITHING FREQUENCY TO NOW DAILY,WEEKLY AND MONTHLY.

SHOW ME WHERE IN THE BIBLE CHRISTIANS APPLIED THIS SO CALLED STANDARD
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 8:50am On Aug 26, 2009
@chukwudi
Tithing was described as a standard in tttv [tonye-t's twisted version] of the bible.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Gentleme1: 9:19am On Aug 26, 2009
chukwudi44:

MY MAN STOP RANTING AND SHOW ME WHRE THE WORD STANDARD IS IN THEBIBLE AND WHERE IT IS USED TO DESCRIBE TITHING.

ths guy u are really pathetic i swear, now i am convinced beyond every reasonable doubt who you are,  how could you be asking him to show you where the word STANDARD is in the bible, gooosh, ok let me ask you, where in the bible was chukwudi mentioned , yet you know how the bible describes us. Men u r pathetic. just give up, you aint worth it. Tonye-t has explained what standards are , yet you come up now to ask him to show you where the word STANDARD is in the bible. again whre in the bible was the word bible mentioned yet dont u and me know what it means,na wa o

chukwudi44:

ALSO SHOW ME HOW THIS DEBASED STANDARD INCREASED TITHING FREQUENCY TO NOW DAILY,WEEKLY AND MONTHLY.

O boy, at least i have seen how Tonye-t explained it in the post he refered you to on saturday.

chukwudi44:
SHOW ME WHERE IN THE BIBLE CHRISTIANS APPLIED THIS SO CALLED STANDARD

asking asking asking stupid questions all the way,men u are just immatured, or better still a lil baby in the scriptures.sorry for my comments, u are just so much like those guys in my street, who will see white and yet would prefer arguing it as black grin grin
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Gentleme1: 9:34am On Aug 26, 2009
i decided to quote Tonye'e reply maybe you did not see it

Tonye-t:

[font=trebuchet ms][color=#000099]@ Chukwudi44,

I read your writing to Oladegbu that the issue of tenthing in titheing was borrowed from the Mosaic law.do you mean to tell me Abraham who tenthed (Gen.14:20)and Jacob who tenthed (Gen.28:22) all did so because Moses told them to?, didnt they exist b4 the Mosaic law was given?. The question nobody has been able to answer me here is this: "If Titheing began with the Law, why then did Abraham and Jacob both practised it even b4 the Mosaic law was given?" Do you mean to tell me that Moses appeared to them and told them to? na wa o! we both know that this men both existed b4 the Law, so why then did they tithe.

did you read this?

Tonye-t:
What we guys do here is to read passages in the bible and pick it anonymously without having an indepth knowledge of how the term or phrase or word or vocabulary originated. I have sincerely explained it here that Titheing(tenthing) was never a law, it was a practise that began b4 the law and was only borrowed by the mosaic dispensation to explain a point. The Law is a different thing altogether from standards(tenthing for example). Standards are trails that have always existed, while Law is a document that binds how this standards should be practised.Do you understand?Make research for yourself.ok!

did you read this chukwudi?

Tonye-t:
You also said there wasnt any place that introduced money as a model for titheing, Yes you're right, but then you are very wrong because if you understand the full significance of tenthing beleive me you'd rather stick to just giving money. How i mean:, In Gen.14:20 - it said "and abram gave him a [size=13pt]tenth of ALL[/size]after he(abram) had returned with spoils from a great battle, now i ask , doesnt something ring a bell in your brain that amongst the spoils were GOLD, SILVER,DIAMONDS, GARMENTS, FINEWOODS and lots more, Chukwudi44 do you mean to tell me that you dont know that those things were the money or currency Men used back then? And again, Jacob in Gen.28:22 - Jacob said, if God would give him all that he asked for, then he would give back a [size=13pt]TENTH OF ALL[/size], hello? so becos Moses commanded the israelites in his era to give produce as tenths, do you mean to tell me that others never gave beyond that?

did you read this?,why titheing could be payed in money

Tonye-t:
now again let me explain a little about why it was all about crops and farm produces in The mosaic era as it appears you know little or nothing about what you're arguing about, When the Children of Israel came out of Egypt, God instructed Moses that the Israelites should not mingle themselves with any other nation as they belonged to Him(God) and Him alone lest they be defiled. Now the consequence of that instruction meant that no trading should be done by them with other nations (heathens) and as such, no essence for money, because he was to give them a portion each for every tribe of israel from the land of canaan. He knew there was no means of getting money as no trade-by-barter would exist, hence the flocks and produce would be the only means to still get them to maintain the ancestral but divine standard of tithing. this issue could create another topic if i go on and on.I wish you'll understand.

did you also read this? why Israelite gave tithe in food produce

Tonye-t:
Now to the other question you asked of why titheing should be daily, weekly, monthly?, my answer to you is this, i cant find any portion of the scriptures that said i should give daily, weekly, monthly, what i find is that i should give mine from my INCREASE, now i ask my self, how often do i get increase of my seed(income) the answer is MONTHLY of course, so then i tithe monthly, now another person could decide to gather up all their increase and offer at a stipulated date.Why should it be anyone's bizness if they do so, afterall "whatever we do, we do unto God and not unto man" (scriptures says)

Chukwudi even a little toddler who reads will understand this replies, even if you still insist on arguing more.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 10:56am On Aug 26, 2009
Honestly if you were the only nairalander readingthis I would have just ignored you since it is obvious you have chosen to remain in bondage,but because so many other misinformed people have access to this site I would never stop educating people on the real meaning of the word tithe.

Was it only tithing that preceded moses what about burnt offering that preceded moeven tithing,Cain,Abel,Noah,Abraham,Jacob e.t.c all practised burnt offering long before Moses was born Why don't you continue with burnt offerings since it preced Moses.
Even Circumcision that Paul vehemently condemmed in most of his writings actualy preceded Mose yet Paul included it among the abolished mosaic law,If I want to go by this your perverse logic I would say Paul was wrong and We ourselves who dont offer burnt offerings are also wrong.

Mind you the circumcision we do today have no religious undertone,it is simply a medical precaution.If you have decided on your own to give 10% of your income to your pastor fine,it is okay but it should have nothing to do with the law and you should not forcce it on anyone or set it as a condition for prosperity or salvation.

What we guys do here is to read passages in the bible and pick it anonymously without having an indepth knowledge of how the term or phrase or word or vocabulary originated. I have sincerely explained it here that Titheing(tenthing) was never a law, it was a practise that began b4 the law and was only borrowed by the mosaic dispensation to explain a point. The Law is a different thing altogether from standards(tenthing for example). Standards are trails that have always existed, [color=#990000]bwhile Law is a document that binds how this standards should be practised.Do you understand?Make research for yourself.ok![/color]

If I were to go by the boldened part it means that circumcision and burnt offerings have always existed and are therefore standards.

where on earth did you get this delvilish teaching from? This is a dotrine st raight from the pit of hell.Why dont you continue with burnt offerings since it is a standard.Why chose one lucrative standard and discard the other unlucrative one? what hypocrisy is that ?

You also said there wasnt any place that introduced money as a model for titheing, Yes you're right, but then you are very wrong because if you understand the full significance of tenthing beleive me you'd rather stick to just giving money. How i mean:, In Gen.14:20 - it said "and abram gave him a tenth of ALLafter he(abram) had returned with spoils from a great battle, now i ask , doesnt something ring a bell in your brain that amongst the spoils were GOLD, SILVER,DIAMONDS, GARMENTS, FINEWOODS and lots more, Chukwudi44 do you mean to tell me that you dont know that those things were the money or currency Men used back then? And again, Jacob in Gen.28:22 - Jacob said, if God would give him all that he asked for, then he would give back a TENTH OF ALL, hello? so becos Moses commanded the israelites in his era to give produce as tenths, do you mean to tell me that others never gave beyond that?

While I agree that all might have included money though it was not s[pecified .The book of deut 14;22-29 was sppecific and clearly itemises what could be tithed

"Thou shalt truly tithe all the increase of thy seed, that the field bringeth forth year by year. And thou shalt eat before the LORD thy God, in the place which he shall choose to place his name there, the tithe of thy corn, of thy wine, and of thine oil, and the firstlings of thy herds and of thy flocks; that thou mayest learn to fear the LORD thy God always. And if the way be too long for thee, so that thou art not able to carry it; or if the place be too far from thee, which the LORD thy God shall choose to set his name there, when the LORD thy God hath blessed thee: Then shalt thou turn it into money, and bind up the money in thine hand, and shalt go unto the place which the LORD thy God shall choose: . . ." -- Deut.14:22-25

If You claim to rely on the melchizedek tithe.the frequency was specific ,IT WAS PAID JUST ONCE WITH NO INSTRUCTION FOR IT TO CONTINUE.

The Bible was specific ,God wanted the levitical tithe paid once every three years(deut 14:28,deut 26:12) and the melchizedek tithe just once .Abi you know better than God?

Mr man If you have decided to be giving to your pastor 10% of your profit every second,that is your own business but please don't call it tithe and don't try to impose it on anyone.

GOD did not ask christians to pay tithes ,jews did.The Apostles did not ask or receive tithes ,St Paul earned his living by building tenths (acts 18:3) and not from tithes.

There is no where in the Bible christian[/b]s were asked to pay tithes.

2 cor 9:7 clearly states that christians should make up their mind as of how much they should give and should not give out of pressure .

[b]YOUR PAS TORS SAYS NON-TITHERS WOULD BE UNDER A CURSE BUT ON THE REVERSE,THE FIRST 50 RICHEST PEOPLE INTHE WORLD TODAY ARE NON-TITHERS,THIS CLEARLY PROVES THE CHRISTIAN TITHE HERESY WRONG.

A WORD IS ENOUGH FOR THE WISE.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 11:03am On Aug 26, 2009
@gentle
We would appreciate it if you stop spamming this thread with the twisted false and evil heretical responses that lack soubd scriptural basis earlier spewed out by tonye-t. They anti christ like and designed to cut off christians from the grace of christ. It is also inpired by greed and covetouness.why don't you explain why sacrificial offerings and circumcision ceased to be a standard since it also pre-dates the law? Is it because they can not be twisted to line the pockets of thieving pastors.
P.s all thieving pastors and their cohorts who twist God's word to collect tithes would surely have VIP positions in the eternal lake of fire as God's word makes it clear it is a very big sin to twist his word.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by nuraabi: 5:37pm On Aug 26, 2009
TITHES IS NOT IN THE NEW TESTAMENT

PEOPLE WHO TITHE [ ARE CONNED BY OTHERS COLLECTING THEIR MONIES IN THE NAME OF GOD]

TITHES DO NOT GET TO GOD THEY ARE COLLECTED BY MEN AND USED BY MEN FOR THEIR OWN GRATIFICATION AND EGO TRIPS.

THEY BUILD A MANSION THEY LIVE IN
WHILE THEY FOLLOWERS MARVEL FROM A DISTANCE
THEY BOAST THAT THEY CANNOT BE POOR WHILE THEY DAILY COLLECT MONIES FROM FOOLISH FOLLOWERS WHO DO NOT HAVE A POOL TO COLLECT FROM AS THE PASTOR

THEY USE THE MONIES COLLECTED TO BUY FANCY CARS AND IN THE NAME OF GOD AND THEY LORD IT OVER THE MANY THEY COLLECTED FROM WHO IN IGNORANCE WORSHIP MEN WHO ACTUALLY ARE CROOKS.

NATIVE DOCTORS ENJOYS THE SACRIFICES [E.G GOAT] HE GETS NOT THE gods
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 6:52pm On Aug 26, 2009
I am shocked that despite all the exposition we have done on tithes and how it as been established several times on this forum that tithing as absolutely no basis in christianity some deluded freaks are still coming here to introduce unscriptural rantings and calling them standards all in the name of defending this 419 business callied tithes. One must euither be really brain dead or 100% possesed by the devil to still be defending this crime against christianity despite all the weight of evidence against it.

PS: I am back on nairaland and i am actually dismayed that despite all the truth that as been revealed on this forum about the fraudulent doctrine of tithes some quacks are still twisting the bible further and inventing and selecting "standards" in the bible, when would this 419 stop angry. Hence forth i would rededicate myself to exposing all the evil reminiscent with the preaching of tithing in christianity today, i would be using the harshest words to condenm it as the bible makes it clear to me that the preaching of the hersy is not only evil but it is demonis and it is designed to keep christians captive. It is totally against the teachings of christ and i would certainly make sure i expose the fraud as lots of christian are being led astray from the faith and being made to believe man made doctrines instead of holding on to the true faith.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by PastorAIO: 6:55pm On Aug 26, 2009
@kunleoshob
Welcome back!
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by OLAADEGBU(m): 7:21pm On Aug 26, 2009
chukwudi44:

why dont you wait till God asks me to pay 100% to see what Iwill do before you comment.
mind you God did not say christians should pay tithes

Look at these Psalms 41:9 gangs. You find it convenient to pay 100% of your income as offering and you strain at just paying 10% tithes! Do you recall what name Jesus called the Far-to-see and the Sad-u-sees when He said that they strain at a gnat and yet can swallow a carmel?
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 7:56am On Aug 27, 2009
@Oladeegbu

Please stop twisting the scriptures there is nowhre God says christians must pay 105or 100% ofn their incomes to their church rather he tells us in 2 cor 9:7 "as one purposes in his heart".

This could mean 1,2,3, 100% of your income,you determine how much you pay.

Please dont try to introduce another heresy by incfreasing yout tithe heresy to 100%

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (41) (Reply)

Aerial Footage Of Experience In Lagos Last Night (Photos ) / Pastor Performing Deliverance In A Strange Way (video) / Ten Years After Biodun Kumuyi: How Time Flies!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 187
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.