Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,081 members, 7,811,025 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:05 PM

Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? - Religion (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? (43329 Views)

Poll: Does the New Testament require us to tithe?

Yes: 38% (28 votes)
No: 61% (44 votes)
This poll has ended

Who Says God Can Not Change Your Story (photo) / Reasons Why Tithing Is Irrelevant Under The New Covenant / The Truth Your Pastor Would Not Tell You About Tithes: Tithing Is Unscriptural U (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (41) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 10:42am On Sep 21, 2009
JeSoul:

lol . . . because it is a simple lie. And no matter of spin or twist you apply to the scripture to make it bend to your personal convictions will work.

Tithing is optional. And the one who tithes is no better or worse than the one who doesn't.

Its so unfortunate to see people i think know the scriptures call the same scriptures fallasy i pray that God forgives you. Jesoul where did you find in the OT or NT that tithing should be optional, because you give money to your neighbor or little niece or friend as you put it somewhere hasnt made you more righteous, the problem i see is that you are easily convinced to either a truth or lie i can prove it with all due respect (your posts on several threads proves it too)

It appears that some people seem to think they know more than Jesus himself who preached this messages, but i will rather choose to accept what Jesus says whether be it to the pharisees or his disciples,the word of God is one irrespective of whom it is spoken of/to/about.

And again,when i explained my points did i use any twisting or bending?,rather i simply showed you from the scriptures as plain as it was, and because our minds are reffered to as corrupt maybe another person may choose to see it differently simply because it doesnt soothe their PERSONAL OPINION about God and his instructions.

Your giving to either a beggar or for all i care, has nothing to do with titheing, titheing is an injuction and not a suggestion!

God bless you my sister and friend!
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ttalks(m): 10:49am On Sep 21, 2009
^^^ And the delusion continues. grin grin
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 11:12am On Sep 21, 2009
when you read the OT, you'll find out that God specifically gave LAWS and he made them understand it was a LAW, hence it goes clearly stated

- Ex.12:49 - " The LAW of the 1st born"
- Lev.6:14 - " The LAW of the cereal offering"
- Lev. 6:25- " The LAW of the sin offering"
- Lev.7:7 - " The LAW of the sacrifice of peace offering"
- Lev.7:37- " The LAW of the burnt offering"

Law of jealousy, leprousy disease, law of fluid discharge and it goes on and on,

never was it mentioned enywhere of the LAW of TITHE/TITHEING as the case may be, rather the very first place you'll come across the word TITHE as regarding the israelites exodus from egypt was in Lev.27, reading from verse 1 it goes on like this

-1. And the Lord said,. . . vs. 30: it stated TITHE and on it goes

Now my case is that many xtians today really tend to approach the scriptures with biased mindset, and the scripture being dynamic for what it is, will sooth the rebellious/wicked motives (the heart of man is desperately wicked)of the wicked man, and likewise good and easy for the simple but prudent man.

There is a difference btw LAWS and STANDARDS (e.g. Precepts, Ordinances, Statutories,Commandments),

What then are LAWS?

Hint: its defined as a decree, principle,act or ruling guiding a thing/people/standard (u can also check it for yourself)

Take note of the word standard in a law, recall i said Titheing is a standard, therefore the role of the Law was to show how Tithes/Titheings should be administered, and not that it was in itself a LAW

- you guys keep saying LAW has been abolished, but do you know that there is the LAW OF CHRIST? also refered to as THE LAW OF GRACE (1cor.9:20,Col.2:9-10, and lots more)

what the LAW of Grace(CHRIST) did was not to abolish but fulfill the LAWS of MOSES (do you also want scriptures to back this?) and in doing so,become a NEW LAW where all the standards and ordinances as given in the OT was to be followed ritually.

I quoted Matt.23:23, and clearly showed you that Christ plainly stated that both standards of religious living should not be neglected for the other, and all you could say was that HE(Christ) said that before His death, now if am to hold you on that, didnt christ made mentions of Jusitce, Mercy and Faithfulness b4 His death in that scripture?, if yes, then we should as well forget them becos he has abolished the Law, hello?
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 11:18am On Sep 21, 2009
KunleOshod, pls read this and maybe it will stop you from criticising MOGs and the offerings they collect. . . because it appears that your own problem is that you seem jealous unsettled about their means of sustainence. Why do i keep having the impression that you may be a grudging giver? dont mind me, just mind's illusions  grin grin grin

1 Cor 9:1-18
1 Corinthians 9
9:1 Am I not free? Am I not an apostle? Have I not seen Jesus our Lord? Are you not the result of my work in the Lord?

2 Even though I may not be an apostle to others, surely I am to you! For you are the seal of my apostleship in the Lord.

3 This is my defense to those who sit in judgment on me.

4 Don't we have the right to food and drink?

5 Don't we have the right to take a believing wife along with us, as do the other apostles and the Lord's brothers and Cephas?

6 Or is it only I and Barnabas who must work for a living?

7 Who serves as a soldier at his own expense? Who plants a vineyard and does not eat of its grapes? Who tends a flock and does not drink of the milk?

8 Do I say this merely from a human point of view? Doesn't the Law say the same thing?

9 For it is written in the Law of Moses: "Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain." Is it about oxen that God is concerned?

10 Surely he says this for us, doesn't he? Yes, this was written for us, because when the plowman plows and the thresher threshes, they ought to do so in the hope of sharing in the harvest.

11 If we have sown spiritual seed among you, is it too much if we reap a material harvest from you?

12 If others have this right of support from you, shouldn't we have it all the more? But we did not use this right. On the contrary, we put up with anything rather than hinder the gospel of Christ.

13 [size=14pt]Don't you know that those who work in the temple get their food from the temple, and those who serve at the altar share in what is offered on the altar? [/size]

14 In the same way,[size=15pt] the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel. [/size]
15 But I have not used any of these rights. And I am not writing this in the hope that you will do such things for me. I would rather die than have anyone deprive me of this boast.

16 Yet when I preach the gospel, I cannot boast, for I am compelled to preach. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel!

17 If I preach voluntarily, I have a reward; if not voluntarily, I am simply discharging the trust committed to me.

18 What then is my reward? Just this: that in preaching the gospel I may offer it free of charge, and so not make use of my rights in preaching it.

19 Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible.

20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law.

21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law.

22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some.

23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.

24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.

25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.

26 Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air.

27 No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.
NIV

The problem here is that ,just because you guys see how bad shepherds fake and exploit the sheep you come out open and condemn a standard, i often say to folks that "JUST BECAUSE A THING HAS BEEN EXPLOITED AND ABUSED, DOESNT MEAN IT BAD" the bad there is how the MOGs use it. period!

Do you understand? God bless you
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 11:25am On Sep 21, 2009
chukwudi44:

Let all of us just a[b]ssume[/b] that tithing is still valid.

in tithing we have to follow the procedure laid down by the bible.

The Bible had 2 types of tithes

1.melchizesek tithe -paid once in a lifetime

2.levitical tithe -paid once in three years

To which of these 2 categories do modern tithing fall under ?

Flesh and blood has not revealed that to you my brother, now you are talking , atleast you have a base now, the next modules will come afterward. God bless you! and to correct you, there aint nothing as modern titheing! grin grin grin
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 11:30am On Sep 21, 2009
@BobbyAf,

Men you are simply great, thanks for those explanations. Just what i have been explaining to anti-tithers who feel everything but money should be used to worship God grin grin grin grin
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 11:33am On Sep 21, 2009
ttalks:

^^^ And the delusion continues. grin grin

A matured christian is expected to make statements and not sentence. wink wink

brgds.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 11:36am On Sep 21, 2009
tonye-t,

So you are back wit this your standard.After treating it before you ran away

The questons I asked u before is why dont we continue with the other standards like circumcision and burnt offering.

Why did st paul condemn one of the standard of circumcision.All these practices alongside tithing preceded moses ,so why are we not continuing with them ?

Even the circumcision done today has no religios undertone but purely  for medical reasons.

1 Cor 9:1-18
1 Corinthians 9
9:1 Am I not free? Am I not an apostle? Have I not seen Jesus our Lord? Are you not the result of my work in the Lord?

2 Even though I may not be an apostle to others, surely I am to you! For you are the seal of my apostleship in the Lord.

3 This is my defense to those who sit in judgment on me.

4 Don't we have the right to food and drink?

5 Don't we have the right to take a believing wife along with us, as do the other apostles and the Lord's brothers and Cephas?

6 Or is it only I and Barnabas who must work for a living?

7 Who serves as a soldier at his own expense? Who plants a vineyard and does not eat of its grapes? Who tends a flock and does not drink of the milk?

8 Do I say this merely from a human point of view? Doesn't the Law say the same thing?

9 For it is written in the Law of Moses: "Do not muzzle an ox while it is treading out the grain." Is it about oxen that God is concerned?

10 Surely he says this for us, doesn't he? Yes, this was written for us, because when the plowman plows and the thresher threshes, they ought to do so in the hope of sharing in the harvest.

11 If we have sown spiritual seed among you, is it too much if we reap a material harvest from you?

12 If others have this right of support from you, shouldn't we have it all the more? But we did not use this right. On the contrary, we put up with anything rather than hinder the gospel of Christ.

13 Don't you know that those who work in the temple get their food from the temple, and those who serve at the altar share in what is offered on the altar?

14 In the same way, the Lord has commanded that those who preach the gospel should receive their living from the gospel.

15 But I have not used any of these rights. And I am not writing this in the hope that you will do such things for me. I would rather die than have anyone deprive me of this boast.

16 Yet when I preach the gospel, I cannot boast, for I am compelled to preach. Woe to me if I do not preach the gospel!

17 If I preach voluntarily, I have a reward; if not voluntarily, I am simply discharging the trust committed to me.

18 What then is my reward? Just this: that in preaching the gospel I may offer it free of charge, and so not make use of my rights in preaching it.

19 Though I am free and belong to no man, I make myself a slave to everyone, to win as many as possible.

20 To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law (though I myself am not under the law), so as to win those under the law.

21 To those not having the law I became like one not having the law (though I am not free from God's law but am under Christ's law), so as to win those not having the law.

22 To the weak I became weak, to win the weak. I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some.

23 I do all this for the sake of the gospel, that I may share in its blessings.

24 Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize.

25 Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever.

26 Therefore I do not run like a man running aimlessly; I do not fight like a man beating the air.

27 No, I beat my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.

For christ sake what has all these got to do with tithes,nobody has said that churches or pastors should not be supprted financially,al we are saying is that whatever is meant to be given must be of ones own freewill as stated in 2 cor 9 :7

These pasage has got nothing to do with tithes,stop twisting the scriptures
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 11:39am On Sep 21, 2009
@Chukwudi44,

dont you read b4 posting, whom did i refer that post to, and what did i say in that post to the refferal?
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 11:46am On Sep 21, 2009
Flesh and blood has not revealed that to you my brother, now you are talking , atleast you have a base now, the next modules will come afterward. God bless you! and to correct you, there aint nothing as modern titheing

young man you misundertood me I used the word "assume"

That does not ean I now agree that tihing is still valid.

by the way you did not answer my questions

in tithing we have to follow the procedure laid down by the bible.

The Bible had 2 types of tithes

1.melchizesek tithe -paid once in a lifetime

2.levitical tithe -paid once in three years

To which of these 2 categories do modern tithing fall under

there aint nothing as modern titheing!

by modern tithing I mean the unbiblical daily,weekly and monthly tithing
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 12:05pm On Sep 21, 2009
Bible clearly proved that tithe was part of the obsolete jewish law

"Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone." (Matthew 23:23
also

Hebrews 7:5 .
And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham

THE BOLDENED PART SAYS IT ALL

Tonnye -t's definition of standard

What we guys do here is to read passages in the bible and pick it anonymously without having an indepth knowledge of how the term or phrase or word or vocabulary originated. I have sincerely explained it here that Titheing(tenthing) was never a law, it was a practise that began b4 the law and was only borrowed by the mosaic dispensation to explain a point. The Law is a different thing altogether from standards(tenthing for example). Standards are trails that have always existed, bwhile Law is a document that binds how this standards should be practised.Do you understand?Make research for yourself.ok!

This is teaching from the very pit of hell

dont you read b4 posting, whom did i refer that post to, and what did i say in that post to the refferal

This was what I was refering to

Take note of the word standard in a law, recall i said Titheing is a standard, therefore the role of the Law was to show how Tithes/Titheings should be administered, and not that it was in itself a LAW
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ttalks(m): 12:08pm On Sep 21, 2009
Tonye-t:

A matured christian is expected to make statements and not sentence. wink wink

brgds.

Based on what "law" or "standard" ? undecided

@bobbyaf and Tonye-t,

the only referal I can give you guys is the same one I gave before: The Misunderstood Covenant.

If after careful(patient and unbiased) reading, it fails to help u understand the differences between the old covenant and the new covenant, then it is really pointless talking about tithes.

Tonye-t, u have no point to support tithes in the new testament.
The examples u give are of freewill offerings which nobody is against.

And besides, Paul(even if he had the right to accept these offerings) laid an example which he expected other shepherds of the Christian flock to follow;by refusing to live by those rights.
He worked for his living.

This does not in anyway support ur theory on tithes or justify it in anyway.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 12:27pm On Sep 21, 2009
These tithes scammers are back again! Since when did seun start allowing nairaland to be used to promote fraud
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Tonyet1(m): 1:10pm On Sep 21, 2009
@ttalks,

i will rather say you dont have any point to back your claim that titheing is no longer relevant today, that passage i quoted on offering was directed specifically to KunleOshod, because he seem to be against pastors who uses money from the church, and yeah it was not to butress any point on titheing, as for titheing i have taken my time to explain it as it appears folks just come around and make their own sentences and not knowing where this whole issue began in the first place. do you understand?

Now to your false opinion of the irrelevance of titheing,

the way things appears here is like folks just talk based on general opinion and they fail to actually go back to the scriptures and sort out things for themselves i use to bve like that too. I have taken my time to SHOW YOU GUYS directly from the bible you and I read from that the bible never even called tithe a LAW in the first place, i also took the time to plainly show you what Jesus himself had to say about tithing, yet you guys call it law. Now to the issues of law, i ask , what do you guys even understand/know as law, and do you really think Jesus even criticised the law or abolished it like some baby xtians say he did here.

was it not from the same law, Peter, Paul and even Jesus himself preached and based their sermons on?, incase peeps here dont know then i put it to you that wat was actually destroyed was the power of the law of moses (the punishement and consequences it came with) and not the law itself, because the law itself was given by God, so wouldnt it mean you guys are calling God double-standard?, and that is if you guys still falsely think titheing is a law in the first place. ask me and i'll show you the portion of the scriptures that butress my claim.

Ttalks pls give me a tentative proof that tithing is irrelevant and not that titheing is a law and so has no basis for today practise. debate maturedly ok?
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ttalks(m): 5:46pm On Sep 21, 2009
It's all so simple Tonye-t.

Your prime verse of reference is the answer to your dilemna:

Matthew 23:23
(23)  Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

The above verse indicates that judgement,mercy and faith were matters of the law(the weightier matters) and so also were tithes matters of the law(but not as weighty as those earlier mentioned  grin )

The point being stressed by "these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone" is clearly expressed in :

James 2:10
(10)  For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.

In keeping the law of moses, one had to keep every aspect and not leave any aspect undone.  grin

Now, Tonye-t might like to say that tithes are not or is not a law.
But whose report should we believe?

Tonye-t's or Christ's and his apostles?

Christ pointed out in Matthew 23:23 that the tithe was a matter of the law; so that means without the law, there is no issue of tithes being paid.

Hebrews 7:5
(5)  And verily they that are of the sons of Levi, who receive the office of the priesthood, have a commandment to take tithes of the people according to the law, that is, of their brethren, though they come out of the loins of Abraham:

Now, the above states that the old covenant stated that tithes were to be collected of the people.The old covenant stated how these were to be carried out as can be seen in various books of the law.

Now, see the below:

Hebrews 7:11-12
(11)  If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood, (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchisedec, and not be called after the order of Aaron?
(12)  For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

The above states that with the change of the priesthood, there was also made necessary a change of the law.
That is; the Aaronic priesthood which had the law(old covenant) lock,stock and barrel with it, being changed to the priesthood of Jesus Christ which brought about the new dispensation;the new covenant,the new agreement.

Now, this new agreement contains all that is required of men towards God.

If we want to follow Tonye-t's analogy which says the law only showed how the tithes were to be handled in terms of collecting and administering(which is wrong by the way), this new agreement/covenant would define/explain/state in clear terms how the tithe is to be collected and administered if it should be in the first place; but - "ding,ding,ding"  grin - it doesn't.

Which leads to the very simple conclusion that tithes are not necessary or required to participate fully and productively in the new agreement.

All the issues of "law" and "standards" by Tonye-t are just mere hair-splitting and conjecture.

Tithes were an issue because the law made them so for the israelites, but the new covenant does not make tithes an issue for us Christians; plain and simple.

grin grin
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ttalks(m): 6:26pm On Sep 21, 2009
And now,Tonye-t, - you are not of the opinion that the law has been replaced by the new covenant right?

Hebrews 7:12
(12)  For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

Heb 8:1-13
(1)  Now of the things which we have spoken this is the sum: We have such an high priest, who is set on the right hand of the throne of the Majesty in the heavens;
(2)  A minister of the sanctuary, and of the true tabernacle, which the Lord pitched, and not man.
(3)  For every high priest is ordained to offer gifts and sacrifices: wherefore it is of necessity that this man have somewhat also to offer.
(4)  For if he were on earth, he should not be a priest, seeing that there are priests that offer gifts according to the law:
(5)  Who serve unto the example and shadow of heavenly things, as Moses was admonished of God when he was about to make the tabernacle: for, See, saith he, that thou make all things according to the pattern shewed to thee in the mount.
(6)  But now hath he obtained a more excellent ministry, by how much also he is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises.
(7)  For if that first covenant had been faultless, then should no place have been sought for the second.
[b](8 )  For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah:
(9)  Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day when I took them by the hand to lead them out of the land of Egypt; because they continued not in my covenant, and I regarded them not, saith the Lord.
(10)  For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people:
(11)  And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest.
(12)  For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more.
(13)  In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away.[/b]

2Co 3:6-11
(6)  Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.
(7)  But if the ministration of death, written and engraven in stones, was glorious, so that the children of Israel could not stedfastly behold the face of Moses for the glory of his countenance; which glory was to be done away:
(cool  How shall not the ministration of the spirit be rather glorious?
(9)  For if the ministration of condemnation be glory, much more doth the ministration of righteousness exceed in glory.
(10)  For even that which was made glorious had no glory in this respect, by reason of the glory that excelleth.
(11)  For if that which is done away was glorious, much more that which remaineth is glorious.

NB: The letter above is in reference to the law/old covenant while the Spirit is in reference to the new covenant.

Mat 5:18
(18)  For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Acts 15:5 to 32 is another interesting read.

There are still a lot that shows that Christians are not bound to live by the laws of Moses/old covenant cos they have been done away with.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 8:38am On Sep 22, 2009
Tonye-t:

[font=trebuchet ms][color=#000099]@ttalks,

i will rather say you dont have any point to back your claim that titheing is no longer relevant today, that passage i quoted on offering was directed specifically to KunleOshod, because he seem to be against pastors who uses money from the church, and yeah it was not to butress any point on titheing, as for titheing i have taken my time to explain it as it appears folks just come around and make their own sentences and not knowing where this whole issue began in the first place. do you understand?
My brother i have absolutely nothing against pastors being catered for or benefitting from voluntary free will offerings given to the church. What i would always condenm is pastors twisting scriptures to extort money from the congrgation. The example of tithes is just a glaring case of instituitionalized twisted scripture that as gained acceptance in the church. I am very angry and ashamed that a obvious lie as been firmly established in some so called christian churches becos of the love their pastors have for filthy lucre and the charlatan pantescostal churhes who see church as a business are most guilty of this evil.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Gentleme1: 9:32am On Sep 22, 2009
ttalks:

It's all so simple Tonye-t.

Your prime verse of reference is the answer to your dilemna:

Matthew 23:23
(23)  Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

The above verse indicates that judgement,mercy and faith were matters of the law(the weightier matters) and so also were tithes matters of the law(but not as weighty as those earlier mentioned  grin )

The point being stressed by "these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone" is clearly expressed in :

James 2:10
(10)  For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all.
In keeping the law of moses, one had to keep every aspect and not leave any aspect undone.  grin

Ttalks, you rather seem confused, you know why?

- Fortuantely, You have finally agreed to what Tonye-T has always been trying to say here, that if you guys think or agree that tithing is a law, then justice, mercy and faithfulness are also the law. because Jesus called Justice, mercy and faithfulness the law too. Now from the scriptures you quoted it simply shows that "IF ONE WILL KEEP TO JUSTICE, MERCY AND FAITHFULNESS, THEREFORE HE SHOULD ALSO KEEP TO TITHING" -James 2:10 (or will u call this one twisting also?).

In my opinion, if you dont want to pay tithe (lightier law) then u should not also show Justice, Mercy nor faithfulness (weightier law), because why will you show justice, mercy and faithfulness and yet despise the other, isnt dat not an offence?

just accept, you seem confused!
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Bobbyaf(m): 10:09am On Sep 22, 2009
I need to start a thread explaining the New Covenant because much confusion exists concerning it, and if this is not understood properly many souls will indeed perish. People read the NT to their own spiritual downfall. They fail to read  betwen the lines.

God once said that He will not alter the word that has proceeded from His mouth. God's covenant is an everlasting one, but He alters the circumstances in which His people find themselves.

1. The first covenant was made with the first family after  they sinned.

2. The second  was made with Noah before the flood, and after the flood.

3. The third was made with Abraham concerning the Messiah.

4. The fourth was made with Moses and the children of Israel.

5. The fifth one had to do with a renewal of the covenant with Israel and Judah under better conditions. It is this covenant that has been introduced to the gentiles as well, who are grafted into the olive tree. This olive tree is God's true people that comprises both jews and gentiles which we call the church.

6. Paul in the book of Hebrews goes into details about what the better conditions were surrounding the same covenant or agreement. He made it clear that man's efforts and the sacrificial system were no more apart of this renewed covenant. The new focus was now to be placed on God's power to transform His people through what Jesus accomplished on calvary, and by the power of the Holy Spirit to help us maintain that sanctified lifestyle that is pleasing to God.

The Mosaic approach in the wilderness failed in the sense that the people were not spiritually mature to truly appreciate what God was willing to do for them as His chosen people.  They were still too worldly. They were like children. Hence their continued struggle to please God, and their ultimate captivity for 70 years in Babylon.

Well, God raised up the weeping prophet Jeremiah to remind them of the plan to place God's law in their hearts, rather than relying on them to obey. In other words if we allow God to take control of our lives, then all will go well. If we try to do it on our own we will fail, just as how ancient Israel failed due to unbelief.

Daniel also reminded them that God would have given them 490 more years after the captivity to prepare for the plan. Daniel laid out the birth of the Messiah, and His crucifixion, and what would happen if they failed to accept the Messiah. He also predicted the downfall of their temple which occured in AD70.

He also introduced the covenant and how it would have been confirmed for 1 prophetic week or 7 literal years by Christ first, and followed by His disciples until AD34. That period ended, as well as the confirmation in AD34 when Stephen was stoned by the Jewish leaders, and which marked the end of the Jewish people bearing the divine oracles of God. Now it was a mixture of nations that was predicted by Isaiah to form spiritual Israel. Hence Peter evangelised the Jews and Paul reached out to the gentiles.

The common misconception is that God put away or abolished His law, when He Himself said that He didn't come to do that, but to fulfil it. When does fulfilling something abolishes it? If I promise to fulfil my marriage vows, then by their arguments after a while there will be no vows left. After Jesus baptism He said "thus it fulfills all righteousness"
Did it mean that He abolished all righteousness because He was baptised?

I will continue,
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 10:16am On Sep 22, 2009
@gentle me

The weightier matters of the law like Justice and mercy were incorporated into the new covenant,there were reiterated in the letters of the Aposrtles,but no where did they ask us to tithe.

The early christians never paid tithe.Paul had to work for his own living,he was a tenth maker,he even mentioned in his letter to the thesalonians that he never received money from anyone without paying for it.

Donations under christianity were well coverd in 1cor 8,9 and 2 cor 9.No where were christians asked to tithe and nowhere in the bible were tithe paid daily ,weekly or monthly ,not even in the OT
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ttalks(m): 10:30am On Sep 22, 2009
Gentle me:

Ttalks, you rather seem confused, you know why?

- Fortuantely, You have finally agreed to what Tonye-T has always been trying to say here, that if you guys think or agree that tithing is a law, then justice, mercy and faithfulness are also the law. because Jesus called Justice, mercy and faithfulness the law too. Now from the scriptures you quoted it simply shows that "IF ONE WILL KEEP TO JUSTICE, MERCY AND FAITHFULNESS, THEREFORE HE SHOULD ALSO KEEP TO TITHING" -James 2:10 (or will u call this one twisting also?).

In my opinion, if you dont want to pay tithe (lightier law) then u should not also show Justice, Mercy nor faithfulness (weightier law), because why will you show justice, mercy and faithfulness and yet despise the other, isnt dat not an offence?

just accept, you seem confused!

Gentle me,
Unfortunately, u are the one who is confused.
Upon all I and others have been posting in this threasd,u still can't decipher the points being made?

I and others have been trying to let u know that the law is no longer binding on us Christians.

The justice mercy and faith;and tithe according to the law are not binding on us.
What is binding on us is the Justice,mercy and faith which is communicated to us through the new covenant; not the law.
And according to the new covenant, we are not asked to tithe.

Go through the provisions of the new testament and see if there is no way justice,mercy and faith are communicated to us through them(that is apart from those highlighted by Matthew 23:23 which are of the law).

Chukwudi44 has given the proper explanation above.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Gentleme1: 10:36am On Sep 22, 2009
@chukwudi44,

chukwudi44:

@gentle me

The weightier matters of the law like Justice and mercy were incorporated into the new covenant,there were reiterated in the letters of the Aposrtles,but no where did they ask us to tithe.

The early christians never paid tithe.Paul had to work for his own living,he was a tenth maker,he even mentioned in his letter to the thesalonians that he never received money from anyone without paying for it.

Donations under christianity were well coverd in 1cor 8,9 and 2 cor 9.No where were christians asked to tithe and nowhere in the bible were tithe paid daily ,weekly or monthly ,not even in the OT

wooow, look who has shoot himself, so they took some and left the other, wouldnt that be an offence? look who seem confused and desperate to prove a proveless point grin grin

@ ttalks

ttalks:

Gentle me,
Unfortunately, u are the one who is confused.
Upon all I and others have been posting in this threasd,u still can't decipher the points being made?

I and others have been trying to let u know that the law is no longer binding on us Christians.

The justice mercy and faith;and tithe according to the law are not binding on us.
What is binding on us is the Justice,mercy and faith which is communicated to us through the new covenant; not the law.
And according to the new covenant, we are not asked to tithe.

Go through the provisions of the new testament and see if there is no way justice,mercy and faith are communicated to us through them(that is apart from those highlighted by Matthew 23:23 which are of the law).

Chukwudi44 has given the proper explanation above.

heresy, so u expect me to go back home and believe henceforth that justice, mercy and faith are not binding on we xtians, God have mercy on this desperate guys, na wa o, all for the sake of not wanting to pay tithe. you guys are just too greedy in my opinion, and i will rather choose to stick to boobyaf and Tonye-t's explanation because as it appears you people are raped off points grin grin grin grin
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 10:38am On Sep 22, 2009
1. The first covenant was made with the first family after  they sinned.

2. The second  was made with Noah before the flood, and after the flood.

3. The third was made with Abraham concerning the Messiah.

4. The fourth was made with Moses and the children of Israel.

This is heresy,the bible mentioned just 2 covenants bobyaff!!bobyaff!!bobyaff!!!

how many times did I call u ? better be careful

The common misconception is that God put away or abolished His law, when He Himself said that He didn't come to do that, but to fulfil it. When does fulfilling something abolishes it? If I promise to fulfil my marriage vows, then by their arguments after a while there will be no vows left. After Jesus baptism He said "thus it fulfills all righteousness"
Did it mean that He abolished all righteousness because He was baptised

why dont you continue with the other unlucrative but important parts of the law like the three jewish festivals of shelters,passover and unleaned bread.

Why didn't the apostles and other early christiuans practise tithing ,why on earth did paul write to the galatians.

You hypocrites had better be careful else you incure the curse of the law mentiones in gal 3 :10
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Gentleme1: 10:44am On Sep 22, 2009
chukwudi44:

the bible mentioned just 2 covenants

namely?

chukwudi, do you read the bible at all?

- what happened to the covenant of rainbow with Noah in Gen.6:18, Gen9:12

- What happened to the covenant of inheritance with Abraham in Gen.15:18

- what happened to the covenant of circumcision with Abraham in Gen.17:10

- what happened to the covenant of posterity/partiachy with Abraham , Isaac and Jacob lev.26:42

i can go on and on, chukwudi you are so daft, with all apologise i read somewhere that you are even a Catholic you need to know God and study his word and not what one father joseph ot matteus grin grin teach to do to., now tell me

"what has nurses got to do when doctors are talking if not to stick to their syringes and needles"? grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 10:53am On Sep 22, 2009
@Gentleme
As you  are obviously on the the curse of the law of tithing i would only pray for you the see the light and receive true salvation which cannot be bought with tithes but is given to us freely through the grace of our lord and savious Jesus christ the son of the living God. However i cannot also stand by and allow fellow "christians" to continue to spread a lie using the name of christianity whilst continuosly dragging in into disrepute. It's no use trying to quote ttalks out of context as i believe we are not illeterates on this forum. He clearly said that it is glaring from scriptures that ustice, mercy and faith were incorporated in to the new covenant whilst tithes was not even contemplated beocs as the bible rightly told us in Hebrews 7: it is a weak, useless and unprofitable law.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Gentleme1: 10:58am On Sep 22, 2009
KunleOshob:

@Gentleme
As you  are obviously on the the curse of the law of tithing i would only pray for you the see the light and receive true salvation which cannot be bought with tithes but is given to us freely through the grace of our lord and savious Jesus christ the son of the living God. However i cannot also stand by and allow fellow "christians" to continue to spread a lie using the name of christianity whilst continuosly dragging in into disrepute. It's no use trying to quote ttalks out of context as i believe we are not illeterates on this forum. He clearly said that it is glaring from scriptures that ustice, mercy and faith were incorporated in to the new covenant whilst tithes was not even contemplated beocs as the bible rightly told us in Hebrews 7: it is a weak, useless and unprofitable law.

Kunle this day i stand under the gospel of Christ and the knowledge that comes from obedience to say that  [size=15pt]YOU ARE CURSED IN YOUR KNOWLEDGE OF GOD AND HIS INSTRUCTION[/size], how dare you say i am curse, simply because you guys chooses to be greedy and jealoous because Men of God are blessed for their services, you stand to curse anyone who doesnt believe your SATANIC LIES

Believe me,time will tell, God's blessing abounds with them who beleive and obey.(isaiah says so)
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ttalks(m): 11:08am On Sep 22, 2009
I just want to say something about a portion of Bobbyaf's post above which says:

Did it mean that He abolished all righteousness because He was baptised?

I guess we should all know that a word can imply/mean different things depending on the way they are used.

Fulfil can mean to carry out something on a continuous basis and also to carry out something once and for all.

The former is in reference to examples like the fulfilment of marriage vows while the latter is in reference to examples like fulfilling a promise to take your child to the park on a sunday.  grin

Now, looking at examples from the bible:

Mat 1:22
(22)  Now all this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying,
(23)  Behold, a virgin shall be with child, and shall bring forth a son, and they shall call his name Emmanuel, which being interpreted is, God with us.

This was a fulfilment of a prophecy;something being carried out once and for all.

Mat 2:15
(15)  And was there until the death of Herod: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying, Out of Egypt have I called my son.

Another once and for all fulfilment.

Mat 2:17-18
(17)  Then was fulfilled that which was spoken by Jeremy the prophet, saying,
(18)  In Rama was there a voice heard, lamentation, and weeping, and great mourning, Rachel weeping for her children, and would not be comforted, because they are not.

Yet another one.

Mat 26:52-56
(52)  Then said Jesus unto him, Put up again thy sword into his place: for all they that take the sword shall perish with the sword.
(53)  Thinkest thou that I cannot now pray to my Father, and he shall presently give me more than twelve legions of angels?
(54)  But how then shall the scriptures be fulfilled, that thus it must be?
(55)  In that same hour said Jesus to the multitudes, Are ye come out as against a thief with swords and staves for to take me? I sat daily with you teaching in the temple, and ye laid no hold on me.
(56)  But all this was done, that the scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled. Then all the disciples forsook him, and fled.

And still yet another one.

Now, if one can be sincere, it would be noticed that practically all Jesus came to do were fulfilments of prohesies of old.
When ever he fulfilled those prophesies, they were once and for all.he didn't have to repeat them all over again for them to be recognized as fulfilled;which is the case in Marriage vow fulfiment where the vows have to be constantly done to keep them in fulfilment.

Christ was fulfilling every prophecy about him once and for all.

So when we read Matthew 5:17-18:

Mat 5:17-18
(17)  Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
(18)  For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.

Christ is simply saying that :Until all that the law and prophets had said about him had been fulfilled, nothing would change the law or the prophets;meaning they would still be in force.
In other words, when they had been fulfilled, a change will take place;and the law will no longer be in force.

Jesus Christ's death on the cross was the complete fulfillment of the law and the prophets;fulfilment once and for all;the final fulfilment in addition to the past fulfilments; making all fulfilled;completed,satisfied,taken care of.

Looking back at Christ's statement in Matthew 5:17-18, all has been fulfilled as prescribed and stated by the law and the prophets; giving rise to a change; the end of the law and the beginning of the everlating and new(not renewed) covenant.

Somebody shout Hallelujah!   grin grin
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 11:11am On Sep 22, 2009
@Tonye-t
Seven pages of this thread as gone and you are still yet to produce a single shred of evidence that tithing is new testamental [meant for christians] bearing in mind that the matthew 23:23 which you tried to twist was not addressed to christians but to pharisees who were under the law and oblidge to keep it. I also note that uptill now you have blantantly refused to answer chukwudi44's questions which are mainly;

How did tithe become a weekly/ monthly affair contrary to the instructions given in scripture that it should once in three years?
How did tithing become money since it is obvious from scriptures tithes was produce from yearly harvest?
Also why does the church leadership not continue as instructed in the bible that people should eat of their tithes in the place of worship and share with the poor and needy?  
How come the early church NEVER practised this osolete act?
How come biblical tithing is so different [both in principle and act] from the mordern day version?

I know you would run away from asnwering the above questions, but the answer is very simple and glaring: Tithing today in the church is a mordern day distortion of an obsolete jewish law which was never intended for christians and being used to fleece the flock today based on the greed of a few using twisted doctrine to line their pockets tongue
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by ttalks(m): 11:17am On Sep 22, 2009
Gentle me:

@chukwudi44,

wooow, look who has shoot himself, so they took some and left the other, wouldnt that be an offence? look who seem confused and desperate to prove a proveless point grin grin

@ ttalks

heresy, so u expect me to go back home and believe henceforth that justice, mercy and faith are not binding on we xtians, God have mercy on this desperate guys, na wa o, all for the sake of not wanting to pay tithe. you guys are just too greedy in my opinion, and i will rather choose to stick to boobyaf and Tonye-t's explanation because as it appears you people are raped off points grin grin grin grin
Gentle me:

Kunle this day i stand under the gospel of Christ and the knowledge that comes from obedience to say that [size=15pt]YOU ARE CURSED IN YOUR KNOWLEDGE OF GOD AND HIS INSTRUCTION[/size], how dare you say i am curse, simply because you guys chooses to be greedy and jealoous because Men of God are blessed for their services, you stand to curse anyone who doesnt believe your SATANIC LIES

Believe me,time will tell, God's blessing abounds with them who beleive and obey.(isaiah says so)

Oh my! sad shocked

Somebody is in quite a state!
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by Nobody: 11:26am On Sep 22, 2009
@gentleme

kunle did not curse you,you did it urself.
gal 3 :10-13,5:4
says

anyone who wants to live by the law is under a curse,since you have chosen to live by the law you have equally chosen to live by the curse of the law.

If you want to live by the law better fulfil other requirements of the law or else!!!
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 11:31am On Sep 22, 2009
@Chukwudi44
Thanx for responding on my behalf wink i was just about to post the same thing however i would post the scriptures here so gentleme and other deludd folks would see how they are placing themselves under a curse.

Galatians 3:10:

10 But those who depend on the law to make them right with God are under his curse, for the Scriptures say, “Cursed is everyone who does not observe and obey all the commands that are written in God’s Book of the Law.”
Galatians 5:4:
4 For if you are trying to make yourselves right with God by keeping the law, you have been cut off from Christ! You have fallen away from God’s grace.
Re: Who Says Tithing Is Not New Testamental? by KunleOshob(m): 11:41am On Sep 22, 2009
Gentle me:

Kunle this day i stand under the gospel of Christ and the knowledge that comes from obedience to say that  [size=15pt]YOU ARE CURSED IN YOUR KNOWLEDGE OF GOD AND HIS INSTRUCTION[/size], how dare you say i am curse, simply because you guys chooses to be greedy and jealoous because Men of God are blessed for their services, you stand to curse anyone who doesnt believe your SATANIC LIES

Apart from the fact that you have placed yourself under a curse, it is you and your greedy men of god that are greedy. Your god of men is greedy becos he twists scriptures[tithes] for his own greed whilst equally deceiving the daft an deluded flock that they would receive supernatural blessings if they tithe in their churches. Obviously the gods of men appear blessed after all they are the ones receiving the tithes/offerings[whilst claiming it is God] I just wonder why these con men preach "divine blessings" whilst they lust after man made blessings[tithes]. Why can't they wait for God to bless them to rather than fleecing the flock.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (41) (Reply)

Juan Hugo's Testimony Of Heaven & Hell / Aba Church members welcoming pastor in Grand military style / Jigawa Government Demolishes RCCG And Lords Chosen Church

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 187
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.