Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,467 members, 7,819,703 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 09:22 PM

Condemned - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Condemned (32149 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Condemned by TONYE001(m): 6:55am On May 17, 2016
Good morning my people..

I pledge to make at least two updates today...God willing..

Have a fruitful day..
Re: Condemned by Missmossy(f): 3:30pm On May 17, 2016
Ride ön,you are doing well. Kudos.

3 Likes

Re: Condemned by vickyfrancis1(m): 11:08pm On May 19, 2016
Bro I swear... U ve a 9ce story...I was even praying for smallie to escape...luckily he did...just feed us more abeg...

1 Like

Re: Condemned by DropShot: 6:35am On May 20, 2016
TONYE001:
It's time to drop your comments..

Let's read your thoughts...

...to be continued...
Good job.

Three small errors:
1. The padlock's brand is "Globe". So, it must begin with capital G.

2. I'm sure you meant to write goggle and not google.

3. "..... the gun he would handle me ......". Should be "hand to me".

3 Likes

Re: Condemned by Jubizy(m): 7:01am On May 20, 2016
More....

1 Like

Re: Condemned by missuniverse(f): 7:15am On May 20, 2016
Kip'em coming
tagging along...

1 Like

Re: Condemned by TONYE001(m): 7:34am On May 20, 2016
Wow. We are on the Front Page..haha..

Thanks @ DropShot for your observations..

What a way to start a day!.. smiley
Re: Condemned by danthamccoy(m): 8:06am On May 20, 2016
I normally don't read short stories on here but once I started this, I couldn't stop. Thumbs up. Following.

1 Like

Re: Condemned by belvic: 8:31am On May 20, 2016
Nice wright up dear. am following you big time!

1 Like

Re: Condemned by omoagbeke(m): 8:40am On May 20, 2016
following

1 Like

Re: Condemned by Mczigx(m): 8:55am On May 20, 2016
Tonye....am glued 2 ur story lyk aka gum

1 Like

Re: Condemned by laikas: 9:17am On May 20, 2016
keep it coming bro, nice one.

1 Like

Re: Condemned by Vaxt(m): 9:23am On May 20, 2016
Good story

1 Like

Re: Condemned by kalakuta100: 9:29am On May 20, 2016
Check out this awesome story "THE STORY ABOUT NOTHING" an official entry to wrtivism 2016 competition @naunaknow.. Nice read TONYE001 but i honestly think you lack true knowledge of the characters if you get what i mean. I believe you tushing them up too much. Be raw and liberal tell it as it is. It being fiction does not mean it has to be clear to evryone that it is fiction, you have to sell it to some one as a true story

4 Likes

Re: Condemned by MrBen10(m): 9:54am On May 20, 2016
Grab popcorn and take a sit.
Nice Job here Tonye

1 Like

Re: Condemned by Maydayy(m): 10:03am On May 20, 2016
Wow,one of the best stories I've read here which doesn't involve sex In it yet its enjoyable ...NYC story bro,keep it coming

1 Like

Re: Condemned by saxwizard(m): 10:07am On May 20, 2016
fire on nice job

1 Like

Re: Condemned by yusufibrahim(m): 10:57am On May 20, 2016
Wow nice work op......... And congrats on making the front page............ Keep it up more grace to ur elbow

1 Like

Re: Condemned by Emmyk(m): 12:23pm On May 20, 2016
This place looks full already, I think I'll manage that spot up there, yes!

Nice story, your descriptive dexterity is unrivalled.

While you were talking about a recorder to be placed on Mr Salami, I thought it would be an audio recorder alone, thinking that, Mr. Salami would just go to the army with a Placard or summat with the inscription "I have a recorder placed on me, I can't talk, lets communication on papers" grin cheesy

But Capon was really smart, he used a video recorder! grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Condemned by pgodson7(m): 1:06pm On May 20, 2016
Nice story!

1 Like

Re: Condemned by OfemiSmart: 1:07pm On May 20, 2016
Nice write up bro. smiley smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: Condemned by smartec: 3:18pm On May 20, 2016
Nice story, waiting for update

1 Like

Re: Condemned by hartfriday(m): 6:29pm On May 20, 2016
Wow what an interesting story
Whn I saw agree road on early part of the story, I knew it with be interesting
Nice one bro keep the good work going

1 Like

Re: Condemned by tfabu: 7:21pm On May 20, 2016
More updates plsssss

1 Like

Re: Condemned by TONYE001(m): 8:04pm On May 20, 2016
Hello All,

Thanks for all your nice comments..and criticisms. It was a pleasure reading through the thread... smiley

I've been working on an update for a while and thankfully, I just got done.

I'm updating the story in twenty minutes.

Nice read...

1 Like

Re: Condemned by TONYE001(m): 8:26pm On May 20, 2016
Chapter 8

2200 Hours, Dan’s Club

Dan’s Club was a landmark in the region. It was known for the caliber of people it attracted from the city and beyond. The colourful lights from its signboard sent flashy beams that tore through the darkness of the night announcing its presence in the vicinity. It was general knowledge that Dan’s was a place exclusively reserved for the elite. I was certain that if Mark was out partying, he was most likely to be in this club.

We arrived Dan’s Club after a brief ride. Our unmarked taxi drove in to the embrace of the high hip-hop music that floated on the cold, wet air that reeked of the alcohol and cigarette. We located a free parking space as our driver killed the engine of the car.

Where is Mark? He never missed his Friday night parties. I recalled the various stories, most of which were exaggerations, he often told us about his nightclub escapades. This was the climax of his life and he was pretty religious about it.

I scanned through the compound. All the parked cars were exotic; there was no way I could differentiate his from others’. I was careful about having him see me first; the success of my mission was tied to the preservation of his belief that I was not in the scene – dead or arrested.

The Mark I knew would want to stand out. He would want to be noticed. In a place like this, the use of money may not bring him out of the crowd as every other person in the club obviously had enough of it. I knew that he would not mind going to any extent to make sure he was seen.

Just then, a red-coloured Toyota Highlander drove past us as it searched for a free space to settle. As it drove through, my eyes stayed glued on it. There was something peculiar about it; it was not its beauty or massiveness, rather, it was the number plate. It had a customized gold plate; on it was written ABDUL001.

Eureka! I had found it. The number plates had the answer to our quest. Whatever Mark drove would be having his name – or some sort of signature – boldly written on his plates.

“Julie, would you mind stepping out with me?”, I said to Juliet.

“No, I don't.”, she said.

We exited the car and walked through the compound hand-in-hand. As we walked, we talked and laughed, a little bit too loudly some times, nudging each other in a romantic manner. She pulled me to her side as she placed her head on my right shoulder with her hand curled around my waist.

“What are we up to?”, she whispered.

“Just walk along…and keep loving.”, I said.

As we walked through, my gaze moved from one plate to the other in search of anything that would indicate the Mark’s presence: Mark. Mark-Man. Mark001.

“Excuse me, please”, a voice called from behind.

We turned.

“That’s a prohibited area. You may want to turn back now.”, a security agent said through a thick, masculine voice.

As we walked back to the car, my gaze met a plate bearing MK-01. It was a relieving sight to behold. Mark was in the building.

“What do we do now?”, Juliet asked.

“We go in.”.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The smells of smoke and sweat masked with perfume streamed into my nostrils as we entered the party hall. The atmosphere vibrated to the beats of the blazing music as people of different sizes and shapes danced in the crowded stage. Holding Juliet by the hand, we squeezed through the pulsating crowd as we searched for a free table to settle down.

We found a free spot just across the dance stage.

“At what point would you tell me exactly what I’m to do here?”, Juliet spoke on the top of her voice as she tried to beat the sound of the music.

“We are looking for a young man in his late twenties.”, I said. “He’s dark in complexion with prominent musculature.”

She gave a hard laugh.

“Why are you laughing?”, I queried.

“You mean you brought me here to look for a young man in his late twenties, dark in complexion with prominent musculature?”, she said.

“Yea, I still don’t get why you are laughing.”, I said.

“There are over fifty men here that suit your description!”, she said.

“Oh!”, I exclaimed.

“Are you serious or you are fooling around?”, she said.

“I’m dead serious.”, I assured her. “I understand that my description is loose but you must know that, my target would announce his presence at the appropriate time.”, I said.

She seemed dissatisfied.

“May I get you a drink?”, I tried to ease the building tension.

Her smile returned almost immediately.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I knew it would be a futile attempt if I decided to look for Mark in the crowd. I figured that the best way to get Mark was to monitor the bar. He was bound to get some drinks, at one point or the other.

We sat for about ten minutes as we discussed, laughed, and teased as any pair of lovers would. As we did all these, my eyes stayed fixed to the bar in expectation of Mark’s emergence.

We ran into luck after another ten minutes. I saw him walk towards the bar as he picked a free stool and sat. He wore a nicely tailored blue jacket over a white shirt and a pair of black jean trousers. His fingers and wrists were decorated with rings and chains of gold, his beards left the pool of his perfectly-trimmed hair as they stretched through the sides of his face along a narrow path. I saw him throw his head backwards in laughter as he conversed with the bartender.

I suddenly became tensed as I felt a tight sensation in my chest. The time had finally come, I was about executing the first step of my plan to get to Capon. I wondered if I would be able to go on with the plan; I was inexperienced and unfit to stand Mark, an experienced and powerful man. The only advantage I had over him, at the moment, was the element of surprise. I needed to make good use of this.

It was at this instant that I realized that I had no true plan of getting to Mark. What was I to do when Juliet eventually draws him away from the crowd? I had no weapon – and I hoped he had none too. If the situation degenerated to a physical brawl, I had no chance of defeating him.

I had already gone too far into this mission of mine; I actually had nothing to lose in the case of the worst case scenario. I was dead already.

“It’s…it’s time, Jullie.”, I had mysteriously lost my voice.

“OK.”, she said as she looked around in search of the target.

“Look there,”, I said. “That man in a blue jacket.”, I explained as I nodded towards Mark’s position.

“Yea, I can see him”, she confirmed.

“That’s our target. I want to be alone with him.”, I said as I tried to hide my fear.

“OK. It’s done. Watch me.”, she said as she stood to her feet.

...to be continued...

1 Like

Re: Condemned by Emmyk(m): 8:42pm On May 20, 2016
More updates please!! I keep reading each line, slowly, making sure my peripheral vision doesn't see the next line. Hahaha!

1 Like

Re: Condemned by 9jaMalay: 9:38pm On May 20, 2016
Waiting for your updates like alert o. Captivating story. Nice 1. Abeg do quick lol

2 Likes

Re: Condemned by ebudera(f): 11:07pm On May 20, 2016
Nice piece,d whole pix seems real. Kip it up

1 Like

Re: Condemned by TONYE001(m): 1:06am On May 21, 2016
....continued...

I watched as Juliet threw conscious, feminine strides as she walked to the bar. She had a tight, red gown on whose length did not make it to the mid-line of her thigh region. Her gown gripped her rich curves as her hips swayed from side to side as she made for the bar in a slow, confident gait in her pair of black heels. As she walked through, her aura pulled worshiping eyes that traced her path from behind.

I watched her arrive at the bar as she chose an idle spot within Mark’s field of vision. I saw her order for a drink; her attention seemed fixed to her phone as she operated it with her painted artificial nails. The bait has been set.

I knew it was only a matter of time before Mark initiates a conversation. He would want to please her; perhaps, he would offer to pay for her drink after which he would initiate some discussion and of course, he was most likely to offer to drop her eventually.

Juliet, on the other hand, was out on a mission. She had no time to play the game by the book. She would be precise but tactical. She would not want to portray herself as too cheap – nor too strict. She knew she needed to make him ask her to accompany him to a private place, perhaps a room. In doing this, she had to be careful, the thought that she was a sex worker may repel him as that would make her appear common. The rich do not want that which is common. They always go after classy things.

The hour of my encounter with Mark drew closer with every extra second Juliet and Mark stayed close to each other. The knowledge of this displaced my heart from its normal rhythm. The odds were not at my side.

I caught Mark taking series of quick stares at Juliet. She had obviously gotten his attention. She remained busy with her phone taking small gulps of whatever beverage she drank.

Mark had long emptied his glass but he remained there. This was an indication that he was preparing to strike. I saw him reach for his pocket as he brought out a wallet. He was going to pay for his drink – and hers, I was sure.

I felt some tight sensation in my abdominal region, the clothe I wore was becoming discomforting as it was almost completely soaked in my sweat. I lost control over my hands as I failed, repeatedly, to keep them from fidgeting. The nape of my neck pricked as its hairs stood erect.

He spoke to her. What was it he said? Hello? Hi? Would you mind if I paid for that, please? Whatever it was he said seemed to work as I saw Juliet respond in angelic smiles. They continued in their conversation making gentle gesticulations with their hands and heads releasing brief smiles to each other.

I suffered an exponential increase in the degree of fear in me. My nostrils suddenly became incapable of discharging the gas from my lungs as I supported my breathing with my slightly-agape mouth. My skin hairs stood erect instigating an invasion of goose-pimples. I knew I needed to calm down; this, surely, was not the way to my money. What could be worse than standing on the path of a bullet – or bullets? I reached for the glass of water that stood before me on the table. In three gulps, I emptied the glass.

Somehow, Mark and Juliet adjusted their sitting positions so that they were now within an arm’s length from each other. The rate of their giggles had increased and in some few occasions, Mark touched her shoulder making microscopic rubs as he did so. Juliet seemed not to mind, her silence, of course, encouraged him to be more daring.

I saw Mark push himself to Juliet as he whispered into her ear. As he withdrew, she appeared to be thinking with her eyes fixed to the thin air. After some few seconds, I saw her shrug and nod. He stood as he offered to help her up as they both left the bar.

I remained seated, confused on what action to take. Juliet and I did not establish a plan with which she would alert me. How could I be this careless? They were probably in a room already, I needed to be there as soon as I could. I imagined him pouring himself all over her in romance and her hoping that I showed up soon before they went too far. I tapped the surface of the table rapidly with my fingers as I was lost in thoughts.

Then I felt something vibrate in my pocket. I jumped to my feet in fear crashing the rubber seat to the floor. The vibration continued. My breathing became shallow and rapid. I reached for my pocket in search of what was vibrating in it. Then I remembered the mobile phone I stole from the guard. It was the phone I used in calling Juliet when I went to pick her for the night’s trip.

Who is calling? The police? How did they get this number? I had destroyed the guard’s SIM card after withdrawing the money from the ATM. I replaced it with another that I found lying on the floor in the headquarters. Juliet was the only person I had called with this line.

I stared at the unregistered number that displayed on the screen of the ringing phone as the vibration continued. I picked the call.

I pressed the phone against my ear with a finger of my other hand covering the orifice of the other ear blocking the invading sounds of the music in the background.

I heard nothing from the other side of the line.

I waited for some ten seconds hoping that the caller would speak up.

I still could not hear anything from the other side of the call.

As I made to cut the call, I picked a faint sound. It was not a word exactly but it appeared to be an act. I pressed the phone harder to my ear ignoring the pain. I listened intently.

Nothing.

What is going on there? Could the call be accidental?

As I pulled the phone away from my ear, I picked the sound again, this time, audibly.

I heard clicks of kisses and some related sounds at the background. Juliet! She must have called me clandestinely. With her ear piece inserted, they were not likely to hear any sound from my end.

It was the signal I had been waiting for. She had figured it out herself. Smart!

I started to make for the door they used in their exit. The sound of the music in the club hall seemed to have been magnified as though the speakers were pushed close to my ears. My weight seemed to have tripled in the past few seconds as walking became an unusually difficult task. My heart hammered hard against my chest-wall as a cold chill of fear shot through my spine subjecting me to a state of minute convulsions.

I walked in unsure steps towards the door. I reached for the metallic handle, turned it in a clockwise direction as I pushed the door inwards. The door opened into a quiet passage that lead to about five other doors. I moved in and closed the main door behind.

I paused briefly to take some deep breaths inflating my lungs with courage. I walked through the passage as I tried to trace the room where they were.

I located the room using Juliet’s loud voice as a clue. I figured she deliberately made her voice loud so as to help me trace her location.

I stood in front of the door, my fidgeting hand a few inches away from the handle. My entire body system appeared to be in a massive protest as I lost control over my body. My heart seemed to be sprinting away from the incoming danger; my shoulders rose and fell rapidly as I conducted gaseous exchange at a breakneck speed.

Now or never!, my mind spoke to me.

I swallowed hard through my already dry throat.

Open in three!...1…..2…..3……

I could not move my hand.

Now, open in five! 1….2….3….4….5..

I was under a momentary spell of paralysis.

For the last time, open in seven!! 1…2…3…4…5…6……6……6……..7!

I pushed the door open and rushed in.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Condemned by TONYE001(m): 7:32am On May 21, 2016
Una good morning oooo..

I hope you all slept well...

It's a busy weekend for me..but I'll try and do an update, at least..

Don't forget to drop your comments as you read through...support my growing ministry, please..

Je vous souhaite une bonne journee.. (have a nice day)..
Re: Condemned by pgodson7(m): 8:45am On May 21, 2016
Carry go

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Chimamanda Adichie Celebrates Her 41st Birthday Today / Life The Way I See It ( Family Drama Series) / The Governor's Son And I

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.