Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,014 members, 7,817,987 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:01 AM

Condemned - Literature (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Condemned (32140 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Condemned by teamplayey: 8:23pm On Jun 13, 2016
Thanks for the explanation @ Tonye. God's grace remains forever sufficient

1 Like

Re: Condemned by TONYE001(m): 8:47pm On Jun 13, 2016
...Continued...

I got a piece of paper and carved it into a rectangular form just a bit larger than the size of the razor blade. With the permanent marker, I shaded a side of the paper until it was completely black. I made tiny dots with drops of glue at the edges of the shaded side of the paper and at its centre. I placed the paper on the inner surface of the left glass as I fixed it to the glass with the glue ensuring that it adhered firmly. With the chewed gum, I fixed the blade firmly to the other side of the paper so that it was perfectly concealed behind the dark glass. I supervised the setup to ensure that it was good. I placed it on the table as I returned to the window, the source of my inspiration, with my eyes cast again to the busy city as evening approached.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Wednesday, 1215 Hours, Tiger’s Mansion…

The sun hung in the bright skies emitting its radiant energy over the traditional city. The smell of smoke from automobiles saturated the atmosphere. The melodious sounds of cultural music in the Igbo tongue appealed to the ears of the guests as they danced to the rhythm the giant speakers that stood at the corners of Tiger’s mansion sent off.

With a brown wooden cane I got at the market, I made my way towards the gate probing through my path as a blind man would. I saw the armed security guards that manned the gate as they searched the guests before they were allowed to enter. I swallowed hard in fear as I hoped I would make a successful entry.

I joined the queue as I stood behind an old paraplegic sitting on a rusted wheelchair.

“Wetin be your name?”, a guard asked a young man in shabby clothes as he searched him.

The man gave him an awkward smile as he nodded repeatedly making an unusual sound.

I saw the guard make a frown as he granted the young man access almost pushing him by his shoulder.

The next person on the queue was an old woman that stood with the aid of a stick.

Mma, welcome.”, the guard said.

The woman paused as she turned her head towards him slowly with her hand visibly shaking on her stick.

“My pikin”, she said as she beckoned on him to approach her.

The confused guard obliged as he pushed his head close to hers in an attempt to pick the words she spoke. With her other hand, she held him at the back of his head as she gently gave him a kiss on his cheek.

“Una thank you for this good una dey do for us o..”, she said as she released him.

“Thank..thank..you mma.”, the guard said smiling sheepishly in embarrassment as he wiped his cheek with his handkerchief.

It soon got to my turn. I maintained my position.

“Nna, move biko”, a voice said from behind as I felt a hand tap my shoulder gently.

I stretched my hand forward beating the earth repeatedly as I walked in short strides towards the guard. Through my dark glasses, I saw the guard exhale heavily as his shoulder dropped; it was obvious that he was already tired of the job. I pretended as though I was unaware of his position as I continued in my walk.

I saw him stretch his hands as he stopped me just before the gate.

Nwa-nne, how far?”, he said to me as his hands probed through my clothe.

“I dey o my brother.”, I said.

“You get anything for body wey you want declare?”

“Uhmmm..yes..”

He ordered his eyes to settle on my face as he waited for me to reveal what I had on me.

“Wetin be that?”, he said.

“Na my snuff bottle wey dey my left pocket.”, I said as I fought hard to hide the looming smile that lurked my lips.

I heard him release a sigh of disappointment.

“Wey am?”, he said.

I dug my left hand into my pocket as I brought out the small bottle filled with snuff to its neck level.

“You can’t go in with that, my brother.”, he said.

“But na my own na, I dey use am put body and soul together.”, I said.

“If I allow you, my oga no go like am. Make I hold am, I go give you as you dey go out.”

“Ok Sir, no problem.”, I said as I handed the bottle to him.

“You fit enter now.”, he said.

As I made my way through the gate, I released a smile; my distraction tactic had worked; the security guard completely ignored the dark glasses I had on.

Tiger’s mansion is a giant building that stood proudly at the centre of a generously large compound bordered by multi-coloured, well-trimmed hedges. Its compound was occupied by canopies housing white plastic chairs. At the far right were three canopies reserved for the less-privileged, the beneficiaries of Tiger’s charity program.

I saw Tiger at the podium dressed in a white traditional robe. He was delivering a speech in the Igbo tongue. The crowd hailed at certain instances where he seemed to have made sensational points. At other instances, the crowd maintained silence as the guests listened intently to his words.

I needed to sneak into the building. I knew that if I was to have a one-on-one encounter with Tiger, it would have to be behind the scene; inside the building. How do I do this?

“Come this way, please.”, an usher said as she lead me by my hand towards the right end of the compound.

“Thank you very much.”, I said to her.

We soon arrived at a vacant seat at the rear of the third canopy for the less-privileged. The usher helped me sit safely before returning to her post.

I sat quietly, my body present in the event but my mind far away in a complex matrix in search of a foolproof plan of breaking into the edifice Tiger had erected.

1535 Hours, Tiger’s Mansion….

The event tapered slowly to an end. Tiger had since left the podium and retreated into the building. Gifts and food items were being distributed to the beneficiaries. Several kinds of executive vehicles drove off the compound as the other guests started leaving the occasion creating a fairly rowdy scene.

This was the opportunity I needed.

I stood to my feet as I made my way towards a narrow passage that led to the backyard. Still maintaining my blind pretense, I moved with the aid of the wooden stick I had. My ears were at alert as I expected to hear a guard order me to a halt. I proceeded towards the passage passing through the three canopies reserved for the less-privileged. The guard that manned the region was absent, perhaps busy with some other business elsewhere.

I saw the face of faith smile at me as I entered the passage unnoticed. Now away from the view of others, I threw my stick away as I hurried along the deserted zone in search of a means of entering the building. I could not find any as the two doors that stood at the backyard were locked.

It seemed like work was still in progress at the back of the building as I saw a scaffold connected by metallic rods fixed to the wall. With a deep breath, I reached for a ridge pulling myself upwards as I climbed up the metallic construction.

My muscles turned tenser in fear with each new height achieved. My acrophobic nature made my climbing more difficult than necessary. Beads of sweat formed on my forehead as they lead several streams down my face under the agonizing heat of the scorching sun in the hot afternoon. I consciously refused to look downwards as I tried to throw any thought of me falling off the scaffold away from my mind.

I arrived at the first floor. A glass window to an empty room was left ajar. I maneuvered my way through the window into the room.

The room reeked of the smell of cement and paint. The floor was coated in dust, the wooden door of the bathroom was wide open exposing the view of a white sink with specks of solidified cement scattered on its surface attached to the tiled wall.

I took off the dark glasses as I retrieved the razor blade and the chewing gum. I reached for the collar of my shirt and with the aid of the gum, I concealed the blade again beneath the collar. I cautiously exited the room as I walked towards a massive helix staircase.

I descended through the flight of stairs to the ground floor. I could hear some voices in a conversation as the smooth walls sent off echoes in the empty sitting room. I walked in the direction of the voices.

My trace on the voices led me to a passage connecting the large parlour to some rooms on the ground floor. As I passed through each door, I paused briefly to listen for activities in the room.

I detected none.

I proceeded in my stealth advancement as I crossed through the second door. Just then, I saw the handle of the fourth door turn downwards as it was pushed open. In a quick but silent manner, I opened the second door as I rushed in closing it gently behind.

“Ensure no one leaves empty handed, please.”, it was the coarse, throaty voice of Tiger accompanied by the sounds of heels of shoes striking on the tiled floor. I held my breath as they marched through my position.

I allowed about ten seconds to pass.

I returned to the passage as I hurried in the direction of Tiger’s voice on my toes. As I arrived at the edge of the passage and with my body pressed closely against the wall, I peeped through its corner. I saw Tiger standing at the middle of the sitting room in the midst of three other men as they discussed. I watched him shake hands with them as he led them to the door as they made their exits.

Tiger was finally alone; this was what I had always wanted. I was some few seconds away from having a one-on-one encounter with the Second-in-Command of our gang. I was unsure of how events would unfold; even with my concealed blade, I was no match for Tiger. I knew I had no option but to stick to my plan; after all, I had nothing to lose.

Tiger turned as he walked towards the stairs.

Great! I was completely sure there was no soul up there. It was a perfect place for our meeting. It was time to wrap things up with Tiger.

“Don’t move!”

The voice was unexpected. I jolted in fear almost collapsing at the instant. I felt a metallic object press hard against the back of my head.

I raised my hands in the air slowly as I hyperventilated in raw fear.

“Don’t...don't shoot…don’t shoot…please, don’t……shoot…”, I pleaded.

As I turned to meet the face of the man with the gun, a heavy blow landed on the side of my head sending me to a violent fall.

“Take him to the warehouse.”, a familiar voice said as I closed my eyes in unconsciousness.

...To Be Continued...

2 Likes

Re: Condemned by TONYE001(m): 9:01pm On Jun 13, 2016
Muhamadnur, Saxwizard, Lukman, Officialdokkey, Missmossy, Royalexcel2, Summerflame, Osaze20091, enduright, Kizzykeziah, Frankytof, Emmyk, Dera25, 9jaMalay, Queenxstar, Hartfriday, Tastemoney, Lexaydfg, SimpleBea, Kongru, and others too numerous to mention...Are you guys still here?

2 Likes

Re: Condemned by TONYE001(m): 9:06pm On Jun 13, 2016
teamplayey:
Thanks for the explanation @ Tonye. God's grace remains forever sufficient

Surely, brother..

Thanks..

1 Like

Re: Condemned by Queenxstar(f): 9:20pm On Jun 13, 2016
Hope Tiger doesn't torture him.
Re: Condemned by muhamadnur: 11:18pm On Jun 13, 2016
TONYE001:
Muhamadnur, Saxwizard, Lukman, Officialdokkey, Missmossy, Royalexcel2, Summerflame, Osaze20091, enduright, Kizzykeziah, Frankytof, Emmyk, Dera25, 9jaMalay, Queenxstar, Hartfriday, Tastemoney, Lexaydfg, SimpleBea, Kongru, and others too numerous to mention...Are you guys still here?
i guess i am very upset with you but since your back .......

1 Like

Re: Condemned by TONYE001(m): 6:29am On Jun 14, 2016
muhamadnur:
i guess i am very upset with you but since your back .......

Chei...coolu temper na..please..I'll make it up to you all..

Good morning...
Re: Condemned by TONYE001(m): 8:17am On Jun 14, 2016
...Continued...

“Hahahahaha!!!””

“”So, wetin come happen?”

“As him put him hand, the thing shock am, him land for ground!”

“Hahahahaha!!!”

“Na that time him come gree say Engineering student and electrician na two different things..”

“Hahahahaha!!!”

The hard laughter and the ride through a rough terrain restored my consciousness slowly. I tried to move my limbs but I met a resistance, they were apparently bound. The air felt hot and dry; a sensation of choking and suffocation ravaged my body. I opened my eyes to meet the view of a dark chamber – a dark mobile chamber. I tried to turn in exploration but I barely had enough space to move. A dart of panic pierced my heart sending a stream of chill down my spine. I was locked in a boot of a vehicle in motion; we were heading to the warehouse.

A pulse of pain radiated through my head. My breathing rate increased as my body struggled to take delivery of the little available oxygen. The heat in the boot was becoming unbearable. I felt dizzy, sore, and tired. I imagined myself lying between the jaws of danger and this time, there may be no escape for me. Torture, more torture, humiliation, and finally, death.

Is this the final bus-stop of my adventure? Would I die in an unknown warehouse in a strange land where my body would never be recovered by my people? Would Capon go with my share of the money? What would become of mama? No! This is not the end of the line for me. I must fight back, I must survive.

The car ran into another pothole on top speed flinging me off the floor of the boot. I hit my head on a hard surface as the throbbing of my head magnified. With my bound hands, I reached for my collar as I retrieved the concealed blade. I exposed one side of the blade by unwrapping its paper package. I locked the other side of the blade between my upper and lower teeth; with my head pushed forward, I cut through the rope used in binding my hands. In no time, my hands were free as I proceeded to untie my legs. With the blade in my hand, I laid back on the floor of the boot as I waited patiently for the right time to strike.

We took a left turn as we drove into a rough terrain. The ride turned bumpy as the sounds of the tires of the car rolling over gravels and stones confirmed my thought that we had left the tarred road.

“Wetin master say make we do with this guy?” the masculine voice that cracked the joke asked.

“Him no talk anything o,” the other voice replied.

“When we prepare am finish, we go call oga,” the first voice said.

The car slowed down to a stop. I listened to the exit of the man at the passenger’s seat. He walked farther as the sounds of his steps reduced with each stride. I heard the sound of a gate as it was rolled open. The driver engaged the gear of the car as we drove slowly in the direction the other man had gone.

I could hear my heart pound hard against my chest as an ice cold sensation travelled through my vasculature. A violent paroxysm of fear gripped my hands as I momentarily lost control over them. They turned spasmodic, generously bathed in sweat, as I battled to keep them steady. The thought that I was about terminating a life – or lives – tormented me. As I lay in the boot, I silently prayed for there to be another way out but deep in me, I knew the outcome was fairly certain: kill or be tortured and killed.

The sound of the tires of the car climbing over the metal ridge of the gate marked our entrance into the warehouse. I felt the car accelerate suddenly and in a moment, the driver stepped hard on the brake pedal causing the tires to protest in a screech. The abrupt stop of the car flung me forwards as I hit the rear of the backseat. This displacement was unexpected; the blade slipped through my sweaty fingers as it fell off my hands. I was alarmed. There was a momentary pause of the episode: I was lying on the floor of a dark boot where visibility was somewhere close to zero; my assailants were some few steps away from me, only a few seconds stood between us; my only weapon of defense lay somewhere on the floor of the boot; and I had limited space to maneuver in my search of this object.

I heard the driver unlock his door as he stepped out. The other man was closing the gate as I could hear the sounds of the rollers as they travelled through their rail. I heard the driver’s door release a bang as it was pushed close.

My breathing was on a sprint with my heart.

I heard the steps of the driver as he walked towards the boot whistling a famous hip-hop song.

With my hands, I started probing through the floor in search of the blade muttering incoherent words of prayers in undertones.

I heard the driver tap on the boot with tips of his fingers. As he did, I picked the rattling sound of a bunch of keys.

My search through the floor turned mechanical as I was almost completely lost in a state of shock.

I heard him slot the key into its hole as the lock system of the boot released a click.

I saw the light at the end of my tunnel diminish in intensity as all available hope of escaping vanished. With a last effort, I pushed my right hand to the edge of the boot as I probed along its corners.

“Guy, this gate dey worry o, e don reach when we go service am,” the other male voice shouted from the gate.

“Leave am, carry that iron hook am then come make we finish this work,” the driver responded.

I flinched as I sustained a cut on my right middle finger from a sharp object. It was the blade. Thank God! I tried to pick it but my fidgeting, sweaty – and bloodied – fingers made this task difficult.

I heard the creak of the boot hinges as it was slowly raised open.

I held on the blade firmly. I felt it tear through my flesh. Ignoring the pain, I held tighter on it as I lifted it off the floor. I steadied my right hand by holding it with the other hand by its wrist. I backed the boot as I adjusted myself so that the blood stain would be fairly concealed. I remained still.

The boot was fully opened. Rays of bright light invaded the chamber as I welcomed the sensation of cool breeze hitting my skin.

Tick-tock…tick-tock…tick-tock…

I felt a firm grip on my shoulder and trunk region as the driver tried to roll me over. As I turned, in a swift and precise motion, I stretched out my armed hand as I sliced through his throat drawing a white line along. He gasped in shock as he released his grip. He remained still in his position. I saw a network of veins form on his tensed facial skin. The white line that tore through his anterior neck region gradually turned red as small streams of bright red blood poured out of the opening of the cut. I pushed myself up and with my left hand, I held him at the back of his neck pulling him closer to me. With his neck locked in my grip, I made rapid series of similar cuts as blood gushed in warm streams painting the entire boot compartment in red. I heard him make deep sounds as he gasped for air.

“Sorry, sorry…I’m sorry..,” I muttered as tears gathered in my eyes. “Go to sleep…don’t fight it…go to sleep…please...,” I said.

He dropped on me and with a last deep wheeze, his body turned lifeless.

A phase of sorrowful silence passed slowly.

I pushed the lifeless body off me as I jumped out of the boot. I sighted the other man as he was still battling with the gate. I searched through the jacket and trousers of the dead man; I needed a weapon and I needed it urgently. I found none. As I turned to move towards the driver’s side of the car, my leg hit a metallic object strapped to the left ankle of the driver. I quickly reached for it. It was a pistol.

I unhooked the pistol from its ankle holster. The magazine was absent. I pulled the slide backwards; the chamber was empty. A fresh wave of panic enveloped me. I quickly ran my hands through the body again in search of the magazine. It was absent.

I saw the other man turn as he started walking towards our position.

I crawled to the driver’s side of the car as I opened the door. I searched through the car impatiently. The magazine was nowhere to be found.

“Guy, how far?” the other man called as he approached us.

I was out of time, we were almost in the complete view of the other man.

“You don position the guy?” he asked as he got closer.

He was some five seconds away from having a complete view of the scene I had created.

First second.

I rushed back to the body as I made a quick decision of giving my search a last try. I pulled him off the car as he slumped on the floor so that he lay on his back.

Third second.

I dug my hands into his jacket as I ripped through his pockets. I reached for his tucked-in shirt. I pulled it off his waist breaking through the resistance of his belt. As I did, I saw the magazine fly off his trousers as it dropped just beside my foot.

Fifth second.

“O’boy, wetin…..,” the man paused in shock, unable to believe the sight before him. He turned to look at me, our gazes locked. His eyes dropped to the floor as he saw the magazine and the handgun lying just beside my foot, a few inches away from each other.

Tick-tock…tick-tock…tick-tock…

I saw him dig his hands into his black jacket as he brought out what looked like a revolver. I grabbed the pistol and the magazine as I sprang towards the front side of the car so that the car stood between us. The sound of the first shot assaulted my ears. I ducked using the car as a shield. I tried to lodge the magazine into its chamber but it dropped from my shaky hands. The man fired another shot as the car gave a loud thud. I heard him run towards my side of the car. I picked the magazine from the floor as I ran towards the other side of the car so that the vehicle remained between the man and I.

The man released a third shot shattering the windshield as pieces of glass poured over me and on the floor. With my left hand, I rammed the magazine into the mag-well as it made a click. I pulled the slide and disengaged the safety button. The man continued in his attempt to meet me at the side of the car I was as he released a fourth round. As I tried to run for the other side of the car, I slipped off the floor as I landed on my back. An agonizing pain travelled through my nerves as the pieces of the broken glass penetrated my back. Without waiting for another second, I rolled over the glass-littered floor as I sought for cover underneath the vehicle. The fifth shot of the man hit the floor barely missing my left leg. I aimed the muzzle of my pistol at the feet of the man as I released two quick shots. The man made a loud shout as the bullets tore through his left leg sweeping him off his feet with a violent force. He landed on the floor as his gun fell off his hand. I maintained my position as I aimed my gun at his trunk. The man held his bleeding leg in his hands as he cried and rolled in agony.

It was over. I had successfully neutralized my two immediate threats; one, dead, and the other, incapacitated. With my aim still locked on the man, I took deep breaths as I tried to regain my expended strength. I muttered some words of appreciation to God, thanking Him for allowing me to live to see another hour.

...To Be Continued...

4 Likes

Re: Condemned by TONYE001(m): 8:25am On Jun 14, 2016
Next update would come up much later in the evening.

Stay put.
Re: Condemned by Feyikemi12(f): 8:44am On Jun 14, 2016
thanks for the update

2 Likes

Re: Condemned by pgodson7(m): 8:55am On Jun 14, 2016
Nice updates, keep them coming.

1 Like

Re: Condemned by virtuedagirl(f): 10:14am On Jun 14, 2016
This piece is simply amazing,smallie is becoming more tough o.Tonye thanks for sharing this awesome piece keep the updates coming.

1 Like

Re: Condemned by Nobody: 11:04am On Jun 14, 2016
He has become a killer, soo many deaths.

1 Like

Re: Condemned by Officialdokkey(m): 9:17pm On Jun 14, 2016
TONYE001:
As for me, I'm very much around!

1 Like

Re: Condemned by Frankytof(m): 9:20pm On Jun 14, 2016
My humble and sincere gratitude Tonye 001. I had every hope that you must re-surface to continue with this story that encapsulated action, crime, suspense and what have you in one whole lot. Above all skillfully and beautifully packaged and presented to retain rapt attention. May prying plagiarists not bask on your sweat. Please churn out more........ Smallie already had four murder craps hanging on his loose head....Wahala

1 Like

Re: Condemned by Officialdokkey(m): 9:44pm On Jun 14, 2016
Frankytof:
My humble and sincere gratitude Tonye 001. I had every hope that you must re-surface to continue with this story that encapsulated action, crime, suspense and what have you in one whole lot. Above all skillfully and beautifully packaged and presented to retain rapt attention. May prying plagiarists not bask on your sweat. Please churn out more........ Smallie already had four murder craps hanging on his loose head....Wahala
Hon. Patrick is that you?
Re: Condemned by TONYE001(m): 8:01am On Jun 15, 2016
I thank you all for your kind words of encouragement.

@Officialdokkey, it feels great to know that you are still here. Well done.

@Frankytof, thanks for trusting me. Your sweet words sprinkle colourful crystals of excitement on my heart. You too much!

@All, find below an update to start your day with.

Good morning.. smiley

1 Like

Re: Condemned by TONYE001(m): 8:25am On Jun 15, 2016
...Continued...

I got out from underneath the car. I was bloodied, several parts of my body reported pain, a ringing sensation ricocheted in my ears – a consequence of having explosive gunshots fired repeatedly few feet away in an enclosed environment. My attacker was still on the floor with his hands firmly gripping his wound. I kicked his handgun away from his reach as I settled on the bonnet of the bullet-ridden car.

“How do you do?”, I asked in genuine pity.

He ignored my question as he continued humming in pains.

“I’m so sorry for the shots, you made me do it,” I said.

“You are a dead man,” he muttered through clenched teeth.

“Yea, I know. That’s a familiar truth,” I said. “But I do hope you don’t end up sharing the same faith as me.”

“You no know who you dey play with,” he said.

“I was hoping you would tell me who, you know.”

“If my boss doesn’t hear from us in the next few minutes, he would send a battalion down here. He’ll have you for dinner!”

“Oh yeah.. That’s if he doesn’t end up skipping his dinner,” I said as I felt my courage climb a bar.

“Ahhhhhhh..!!!!” he screamed as he tried to sit up.

“You are bleeding to death, let me help you,” I genuinely intended to help afford him some ease. His survival, to a very large extent, was as important to me as it was to him.

I got off the bonnet of the car as I made for the dead driver. I loosened his tie as I returned to the injured man.

“Stay put, don’t try anything funny,” I said as I tied his hands behind with the dead man’s tie.

I loosened the injured man’s tie and I got his handkerchief from his pocket. With the handkerchief, I formed a pad as I placed it over the open wound. With the tie, I bound the pad to his leg forming a knot at the opposite side of the injury. As I did the procedure, he screamed in apparent pain. I returned to the bonnet.

“So, how do I get back to your boss?” I said.

“Why do you want to go to him?” he said.

“That’s none of your business.” I said.

“I’m not telling you anything....and...and don’t even think of forcing me to.” he said.

The man was not playing to my rules and I did not have the patience, or time, to toil with him. I needed to hurry back to Tiger before he noticed that his boys had taken longer time than necessary to perform the task he asked them to. In my chase after my money, the importance of the element of surprise could not be over-emphasized. It seemed to be my most efficient tool in battling these people that were high above my league of operation.

I stepped down from the bonnet as I paced around the injured man thinking of the right step to take. By my calculation, we spent about five minutes off the main road. From the nature of the terrain, I concluded that the area was a deserted place perhaps with no reference to aid location identification. I did not have the time of figuring out how to return to the road myself; I needed to get back to that mansion as quickly as I could and this man was not making things easy for me. I had no skill of torture but my desperation did a quick installation as dangerous ideas crawled into my mind.

Tiger’s mansion was fortified with several layers of security. Being the criminal he was, I expected him to be living in paranoia. This was not good for me. Going back to his mansion may not be the best idea. Why not have him come to me? This seemed to be a better option. He would leave most of his security agents back home, perhaps he would attach just a handful of guards to himself. After all, this was his village, not Port Harcourt, the theater of our operations where we had to look over our shoulders at every point in time.

I looked at my captive as I studied him closely. No doubt, he was not a professional in the business: his shooting skill was terrible. He was just a pawn Tiger used for less sensitive operations like this, I thought. A closer look at the man revealed that he was not as tough as he sounded, if I could press the right button, he would dance to the tone of my music. But what is the right button?

He was already under physiological and psychological stress, he had lost a considerable amount of blood. If I pushed him too far, I was certain that I would lose him. I ruled out the use of force. Maybe I should use his psychological weakness to my gain.

The Capon had always taught us that every human has a price. The key to having a person under the spell of your desire is the discovery of the right price to throw on the table. I needed to find out what the man’s price was. In doing this, the first step was almost always a constant: feed his fear.

I walked up to the man as I squatted right before him. I constructed my facial muscles into an intimidating look as my probing eyes travelled through his face, settling on his eyes a few times. I said nothing to him for the first minute or so. He was uneasy. I noticed how he struggled to avoid my hot gaze as he cast his eyes to the floor breathing heavily through his mouth. This was good.

“You know, death is a certain event for each and every one of us.” I said in a calm voice still maintaining my posture. “We all have appointments with it.” I released a brief hiss as I shook my head. “Too bad some people bring this appointment closer than it should be by making the wrong choice.”

His gaze remained fallen on the floor.

“Look at that man, that dead man”, I said as I pointed to the driver with the handgun. “He was alive a few minutes ago! I heard you guys joke and laugh as he drove.” I said as I stood up and continued my pace. “But the truth is, he died the very moment he decided to drive me down here. Wrong choice.”

I walked up to him again but this time standing behind him. “He had no idea that the rice he ate at the event would be his last meal. I mean, he never knew that he was cracking his last joke as both of you laughed your silly selves away.” I said. I bent down to the level of his head as I spoke in whispers inches away from his ears, “are you sure you are ready to ply that same route?” I maintained my posture as I allowed my warm breath to fall on the nape of his neck for a while.

The man remained quiet, his breathing rate was irregular. I returned to my feet as I walked back to his front. He was obviously scared.

“Are you sure?” I repeated my question. “I’m a very dangerous man; I have an intimidating record. You may not know me but your master knows me well; he’s scared that’s why he wants me locked up here…and killed. He knows the amount of damage I can cause him.” I allowed a phase of silence pass. “We’ve got a score to settle, your boss and I. That’s none of your business; are you willing to die – “ I allowed the word linger for a while, “ – for a course that does not concern you? Do you think he cares about you? I’m sure you are aware that he’d hire the next available person in the next second once you are gone?”

“Killing you isn’t a problem. The job is even easier and neater with a gun.” I said as I slowly turned to the driver again. “But I’m compassionate; I only kill when it is necessary and unavoidable. The good news is, from the look of things, your death by me is avoidable.”

“Now, start talking!!” I shouted at the top of my voice driving a jolt of fear through his spine as he gasped in shock with his eyes wide open. I watched as he struggled to bring his breathing under control. Bingo!

“How...how am I sure that you won’t kill me after getting what you want from me?” he said in a rather low voice.

“You can’t be sure. You just have to trust me.” I replied.

He raised his face as he looked at me for the first time since I started my act. I maintained an expressionless face as I looked right back at him.

“What…what do you want?”

I smiled.

“I want your boss here.”

“He would kill me when he sees the situation of things.”

“He won’t have the chance to do that.”

“Promise me you’ll let me go if I do as you want.”

“I promise.”

“OK.” he said.

I stood up as I walked back to the bonnet. I applauded myself in my mind, I had just acquired a new skill. Things were becoming interesting.

1 Like

Re: Condemned by TONYE001(m): 8:26am On Jun 15, 2016
Have a nice day! smiley
Re: Condemned by saxwizard(m): 10:00am On Jun 15, 2016
wow...he don dey gather liver for the wahala him put himsef.......
nice one op....hv a nice day as well

1 Like

Re: Condemned by kodimoore(m): 10:00am On Jun 15, 2016
Very short episode Oga Tonye.

FEED ME MORE.

MORE GRACE TO YOUR BRAIN CELLS.

1 Like

Re: Condemned by TONYE001(m): 3:56pm On Jun 15, 2016
saxwizard:
wow...he don dey gather liver for the wahala him put himsef.......

nice one op....hv a nice day as well

The guy liver don dey big...hahaha..

I hope your day went wella..
Re: Condemned by TONYE001(m): 3:58pm On Jun 15, 2016
kodimoore:
Very short episode Oga Tonye.

FEED ME MORE.

MORE GRACE TO YOUR BRAIN CELLS.

My brother, time no allow me do more than this o.. I needed to stop right there...you know say na morning..Make I see how this evening go go..I fit drop something..

By the way, "amen" to your prayer, Sir...thanks..

May God bless you abundantly.. cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Condemned by Frankytof(m): 3:29am On Jun 18, 2016
Tonye, no shaking.....I hear say when actor die, film don finish. For this our story, Smallie na the actor, and so far him never die, so story berekete. I dey wait .

1 Like

Re: Condemned by TONYE001(m): 6:23am On Jun 18, 2016
Frankytof:
Tonye, no shaking.....I hear say when actor die, film don finish. For this our story, Smallie na the actor, and so far him never die, so story berekete. I dey wait .

My brother, me sef hear say actor no dey die o..haha..make we see if Smallie go fit keep up to this popular belief..

Meanwhile, how the story dey go? Storyline...presentation....etc..still making sense? Truth is, sometimes, I get discouraged like say I no dey make better sense..talk truth enter my ears my brother..

I hope to update sometime today..

1 Like

Re: Condemned by TONYE001(m): 1:19pm On Jun 18, 2016
...Continued...

Wednesday, 1925 Hours, The Warehouse....

As my captive had mentioned, Tiger’s call came in to confirm if all was well. My captive told him that all was ready, that I had been strapped to a chair and beaten mercilessly. He added that he was not sure if I would make it through the night.

Ordinarily, Tiger was unlikely to come to the warehouse tonight; I suspected that he would be exhausted due to the day’s event. The Tiger I knew was inquisitive and proud. I reasoned that these tools may be handy. As I sat, I pictured him pondering in his mansion, wondering what I was doing there and how I located him. It would not take long for Tiger to discover that I got to him through Mark; from there, he would further figure that I was after something, maybe my share of the cash. I was certain he was already aware that Mark was gone and that I was responsible for his death. Surely, he would know that I was ready to get what I wanted via any means necessary. The implication of this was that, I was no longer the ally he used to know, I had become an enemy – his enemy. Would he inform the Capon or decide to handle things his way? I was the Smallie, an infinitesimal factor. I was the boy that ran errands for the gang. Unskilled. Unexposed. Inexperienced. Small. I banked my hope on the fact that he would want to handle me himself.

Tiger would be intoxicated with his pride. The fact that I broke into his house successfully was a big insult to him. In his logic, I think, dying by his hands was the best way for me to pay for the embarrassment I had caused him. The Tiger I knew would want to be the direct cause of my death, nothing else would be satisfactory.

It happened as I had imagined. On hearing the state of my health, he passed a direct order refraining them from hitting me any further. He mentioned that he would be at the warehouse shortly.

I rolled the car backwards so that the body of the driver was hidden underneath it. With the driver’s jacket, I mopped off as much blood stains as I could. I swapped my clothing with the injured man. I had him sit on an armless wooden chair I found at a corner with his back facing the warehouse gate. I tied his hands behind the backrest of the chair. I pushed his cotton socks into his mouth as I wrapped up his mouth with a duct tape I found in the car.

The penetration of beams of light through the crevices of the gate preceded the honk of the car. I rushed to the gate as I rolled it open ensuring that my face remained hidden in its shadow. Tiger came in a black Toyota Tundra. I took a quick peek as they drove past me as I counted the number of its occupants. There were three men in the car: Tiger, at the backseat, his driver, and a guard that sat in the passenger’s seat. I assumed all men were armed.

They drove towards the centre of the large warehouse as the headlamp of the car shot bright beams of light that cast the shadow of my captive on the wall. I pushed the gate deliberately slowly as I closed it ensuring that I gave them the impression that I was busy struggling with the faulty metal gate.

My hands felt unusually cold as they turned numb. My heart was back to its sprint as it pumped adrenaline-saturated blood through my vessels. My breathing turned shallow and rapid as the claws of fear gripped me. Death was imminent. Souls were bound to vacate bodies. Uncertainty hung in the air as the knowledge of who was to die and who wasn’t remained a mystery to me.

The guard was the first to exit the car. I watched as he reached for Tiger’s door pulling it open as Tiger stepped out. He wore a T-shirt and a pair of jean trousers. The driver killed the engine of the giant car as he stepped out. I retrieved my handgun as I tried to aim with the fleshy part of my right first finger resting on the trigger guard. My hand shook uncontrollably. I supported my armed hand with the other as I placed the palm of my left hand underneath the base of the handle of the gun. I watched in the darkness behind the car as all three men walked towards the position of my captive. Tiger and the guard were already in the line of my fire. As they approached my captive, the driver caught up with them as he paired up with the guard a step behind Tiger.

The time was perfect for my attack but I hesitated. I was not sure if I was ready to sniff life out of my unsuspecting victims. It was going to be my first conscious kill. I had been fighting the guilt that came with the deaths of my victims in the past with the fact that none of such deaths was deliberate. One was impulsive and the other was in defense. This was not the case in tonight’s scenario; I was about to kill at least two persons – unprovoked.

Tiger and his men got to a considerable distance away from their car. They were right at the middle of the field of my attack. Where I wanted them to be. I moved my finger from the guard as I rested it on the trigger. My hands shook with each beat of my heart. My aim was unsteady.

In a fluid motion, I moved the nozzle of my gun rightwards so that my target was locked on the guard. A bout of the jitters shot through my spine as my gun felt heavier in my grip. With a deep breath, I pulled the trigger as my gun roared a deafening bang with the light of its spark illuminating the darkness in a split second. The recoil force pushed my hands backwards as the guard dropped to the floor.

Within the second of my shot, Tiger dashed for cover as he ran towards the bullet-ridden car forcefully pushing his driver off his way. The alarmed driver staggered a few feet in the direction of Tiger’s run. I moved my gun towards him as I re-aimed. As the driver found his balance, he threw running strides behind Tiger. I pulled the trigger in three quick successions as flashes of white light took away the darkness momentarily as an irritating ringing sensation infiltrated my ears. The driver stumbled to a fall as he rolled to his side and remained still.

The bright sparks of my shots stole my vision briefly. The smell of burnt gunpowder saturated the air. I squeezed my eyes as I struggled to regain my sight. At that instant, I felt a burning sensation as sweat made its way into my eyes. I panicked. I could not see clearly. I was oblivious of Tiger’s position. As I struggled to regain orientation, I felt a sharp flare of pain on my left shoulder followed by the piercing sound of Tiger’s fire. I spun off balance as I fell to the floor. I scrambled for cover as Tiger kept shooting in my direction shattering the objects that stood around me.

I took cover behind a giant wall that stood at the edge of the warehouse. An excruciating pain travelled through my body as I fought hard to keep myself from screaming. I had been shot. I sat on the floor as I rested my back on the wall. I placed my gun on the floor between my legs as I allowed my injured hand to rest on the floor. I felt hot streams of blood flow through the hand as they descended to the call of gravity.

“Smallie, you are hit, isn’t it?” Tiger called from his end.

“Yeah….yes, I am.” I said as I breathed heavily through my mouth.

“It’s a 9mm boy. If I got you at the right place, you shouldn’t last another five minutes.” he said.

“Oh yeah?” I said as I probed the sight of injury to assess the level of damage caused.

“You should be saying your last prayers…it’s time to go make a place for your mama and papa…and siblings….because I’ll make sure they don’t miss you for long.” he said.

A bout of fear and panic attacked me. The thought of my family being in danger scared me. For a very long while, I had not felt the way I felt the instant Tiger mentioned my family. He just told me in clear terms that he was going to kill them all after he was done with me. I could not let this happen. For the sake of mama, at least. I felt an infusion of rage flow through my body. I decided that I was going to do everything possible to stop him; even though everything entailed me drawing my last breath, as long as Tiger would go with me, I was OK with it.

Thankfully, my injury was a flesh wound. A graze through the edge of my left shoulder. The bullet tore my flesh open.

“I’m afraid I may not be going so soon.” I said as I thanked my stars.

“Really?” he said.

“You may need to aim better next time.” I said.

“Lucky boy. I just wonder where you gather your morale from.”

“I wonder too, Tiger. I find it strange myself.”

“Too bad you are about to run out of luck!” He said as he released three quick shots. The bullets were stopped by the giant wall as they sent off vibrations through the wall that hit my back. I shot my eyes close as I pushed my head between my hands.

“I am Tiger, the terror of the day!” he shouted. “Smallie, you’ve bitten more than you can chew. You are going down!”

“I knew that was a possibility before I came for you.” I said. “I hope to put up a great fight!” I shouted as I pushed my hand out of my hiding and released three shots in his direction. I heard the thuds and the smashing sounds of the glasses of the car shielding Tiger.

“Hahahaha..hahaha..” he laughed in his hiding. “You are a terrible shooter.” He shouted from his end.

“I know…but what does that make your fallen guards?”

“We’ll soon know who would laugh last.” He said.

“Oh yes, that’s right.” I said.

“But I’ve got a question to ask before I kill you.”

“What’s it?”

“Why? Why are you doing this?”

“You mean why I want my money?”

“Your money?! Did you give me any cash to keep for you? Eh?” he retorted.

“The gang used me and left me to die in the hands of the police! You, Tiger, and Mark ran away with my share of the loot! Why did you do that?” I said as I took a quick peek at his direction through the corner of the wall.

“We thought you were dead!”

“You thought wrongly then.”

“We never intended to betray you. You are our boy, you know? We brought you up in the game.”

“Only to steal from me afterwards.” I said.

Tiger was a marksman. It was almost impossible defeating him in the game of shooting. I needed to be smart. As I looked through the corner again, an idea occurred in my head.

“Steal from you? How dare you insult us?!”

“The truth is insulting sometimes, I’m afraid.”

I aimed at the fuel tank of the car.

“You were with us for a while. You know we can’t do that.”

“I don’t.” I said.

I rested my finger on the trigger as I got ready to shoot.

“What do you mean – “

The blast of my gun interrupted him. I pulled the trigger the second time as my gun spat another bullet. Without giving him chance to return fire, I shot the third round and an immediate fourth. I saw a spark of fire ignite in the car. I stood up and ran towards the gate of the warehouse as I tried to escape the inbound explosion. Midway into my escape, I saw Tiger emerge from his hiding as he aimed his gun at me. I was completely exposed. I was vulnerable. In a quick motion, I raised my gun in his direction as I fired haphazardly. Tiger ducked again. At this time, the fire had increased in magnitude illuminating the entire warehouse. I made it to the gate as I exited the building. Without looking back, I continued in my run into the darkness.

The blast of the explosion was massive and deafening. It shot debris and pellets of objects into the air. I dived to the bare ground as I remained in the position. After about twenty seconds, I returned to my feet. With my gun still in my hand, I cautiously walked back to the warehouse. It oozed of black smoke and heat.

I saw Tiger crawl out of the ruins. He sustained significant burn injuries. His entire back was burnt beyond recognition as smoke rose from his body. His right leg was bent in an impossible angle and the other was painted in blood. In his right hand was his phone, he was struggling to operate it as he crawled.

“Ahhhhhh!.....ahhhhh…!!!..God!” he groaned as he coughed.

I walked up to him and squatted few feet away from him.

“Help me…please, help me…” I felt no pity for him.

“I’ll give you whatever you want…just name it…Smallie…..please…”

You shouldn’t last another five minutes.” I said.

“No…no…don’t let me die…please..”

I retrieved his phone from him. He had successfully dialed the Capon’s number.

“Hello T,” it was the Capon’s voice.

“Hello Capon,” I spoke into the phone.

“Who’s this? Smallie?”

“You guessed it right Sir.” I said.

“You’re alive? Are you OK? Where’s Tiger?”

“He’s going.”

“Going? Where?”

“He’s going to die.”

“What do you mean? What’s happening there? Put him on the phone now!”

“I’m sorry; even if I did, he wouldn't be able to take the call. His hands are burnt.”

“Smallie, what have you done to him?”

"Nothing much, I took down his guards and I'm roasting him alive."

"What!"

"Yea. Where's my money?"

“Oh! Your money? Is that what this is about?”

“My money, I need it.” I said.

“You want your cash? Meet me at the club, downtown Port Harcourt, tomorrow at five.” He said.

“See you soon.” I said as I ended the call.

I stood up as I took a last look at the burning warehouse and Tiger. His breathing had turned irregular.

“What are you doing? Don’t leave me here!”

“Goodbye Tiger," I said. "It was nice meeting you.”

I stood up as I walked into the darkness of the night.

....To Be Continued...

3 Likes

Re: Condemned by TONYE001(m): 1:21pm On Jun 18, 2016
My next update, the tenth chapter, would be the last. I hope to wrap this up soon.

Stay tuned; if you are reading this, kindly evaluate the piece. Your opinion would help me get better in writing. Thanks.

Have a nice weekend. smiley

3 Likes

Re: Condemned by TONYE001(m): 1:22pm On Jun 18, 2016
Muhamadnur, Saxwizard, Lukman, Officialdokkey, Missmossy, Royalexcel2, Summerflame, Osaze20091, enduright, Kizzykeziah, Frankytof, Emmyk, Dera25, 9jaMalay, Queenxstar, Hartfriday, Tastemoney, Lexaydfg, SimpleBea, Kongru, and others too numerous to mention.

Another update is here.

2 Likes

Re: Condemned by teamplayey: 2:07pm On Jun 18, 2016
TONYE001:
My next update, the tenth chapter, is the last. I hope to wrap this up soon.

Stay tuned; if you are reading this, kindly evaluate the piece. Your opinion would help me get better in writing. Thanks.

Have a nice weekend. smiley

# Loving this. Wow!

1 Like

Re: Condemned by Nobody: 3:11pm On Jun 18, 2016
bro..you wrote this

1 Like

Re: Condemned by TONYE001(m): 3:19pm On Jun 18, 2016
clintonopah:
bro..you wrote this

Yes, I did. Why?

1 Like

Re: Condemned by TONYE001(m): 3:21pm On Jun 18, 2016
teamplayey:

# Loving this. Wow!

Thanks brother.. smiley

3 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Life The Way I See It ( Family Drama Series) / Chimamanda Adichie Celebrates Her 41st Birthday Today / The Governor's Son And I

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 123
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.