Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,889 members, 7,956,354 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 10:30 AM

Condemned - Literature (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Condemned (32687 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Condemned by pgodson7(m): 4:24pm On Jun 18, 2016
Each update is fascinating, can't wait for the next. Kudos

1 Like

Re: Condemned by muhamadnur: 4:51pm On Jun 18, 2016
TONYE001:
Muhamadnur, Saxwizard, Lukman, Officialdokkey, Missmossy, Royalexcel2, Summerflame, Osaze20091, enduright, Kizzykeziah, Frankytof, Emmyk, Dera25, 9jaMalay, Queenxstar, Hartfriday, Tastemoney, Lexaydfg, SimpleBea, Kongru, and others too numerous to mention.

Another update is here.
wow what a masterpiece, guys we all have to admit that Oga TONYE IS AN EXCELLENT WRITER. Kudos keep it up!

2 Likes

Re: Condemned by TONYE001(m): 4:58pm On Jun 18, 2016
pgodson7:
Each update is fascinating, can't wait for the next. Kudos

Thanks brother... God bless you..

1 Like

Re: Condemned by TONYE001(m): 5:01pm On Jun 18, 2016
muhamadnur:
wow what a masterpiece, guys we all have to admit that Oga TONYE IS AN EXCELLENT WRITER. Kudos keep it up!

This made me smile..thanks.. smiley cheesy
Re: Condemned by TONYE001(m): 6:07pm On Jun 18, 2016
More reviews would be appreciated, please..

1 Like

Re: Condemned by Emmyk(m): 8:31pm On Jun 18, 2016
Ahahahah! More of the same please!

1 Like

Re: Condemned by kongru(m): 2:00am On Jun 19, 2016
Great work tonye...Carry on

1 Like

Re: Condemned by TONYE001(m): 6:51am On Jun 19, 2016
Emmyk:
Ahahahah! More of the same please!

Lolz...more, you'll get!

Good morning....

Just to ask, what do you think would be the outcome of Smallie's encounter with Capon?

1 Like

Re: Condemned by TONYE001(m): 6:51am On Jun 19, 2016
kongru:
Great work tonye...Carry on

Thanks brother...thanks..

How do you do?

1 Like

Re: Condemned by Nobody: 7:13am On Jun 19, 2016
TONYE001:

Yes, I did. Why?
... wow... very creative!! keep it burning

1 Like

Re: Condemned by teamplayey: 9:10am On Jun 19, 2016
Concerning Smallies encounter with Capon: I think it will go better than expected.
Capon strikes me as having integrity especially when it comes to his inner cacus. He may be a little upset at the deaths of the other members but those can be regarded as circumstantial.
Killing smallie will not bring anyone back to life.
#my thoughtful assumption; whatever that means. Lol
I'm thinking fate/destiny would get smallie when its time to re-join with his family.
"Still I read" . . .

2 Likes

Re: Condemned by Emmyk(m): 10:31am On Jun 19, 2016
TONYE001:

Lolz...more, you'll get!

Good morning....

Just to ask, what do you think would be the outcome of Smallie's encounter with Capon?
I think it's about time he died - Smallie.

He can't be having it all easy, you know? cheesy
I see Smallie and Capon dying.
But again, what do I know? grin

2 Likes

Re: Condemned by TONYE001(m): 11:08am On Jun 19, 2016
teamplayey:
Concerning Smallies encounter with Capon: I think it will go better than expected.
Capon strikes me as having integrity especially when it comes to his inner cacus. He may be a little upset at the deaths of the other members but those can be regarded as circumstantial.
Killing smallie will not bring anyone back to life.
#my thoughtful assumption; whatever that means. Lol
I'm thinking fate/destiny would get smallie when its time to re-join with his family.
"Still I read" . . .

Hahahaha...well done brother! wink

1 Like

Re: Condemned by TONYE001(m): 11:10am On Jun 19, 2016
Emmyk:

I think it's about time he died - Smallie.

He can't be having it all easy, you know? cheesy
I see Smallie and Capon dying.
But again, what do I know? grin

Smallie is a fighter...him no go gree die o... grin
Re: Condemned by TONYE001(m): 11:11am On Jun 19, 2016
Double Post; sorry.
Re: Condemned by TONYE001(m): 11:11am On Jun 19, 2016
I just got back from church...would be going to the lab soon to do some work..hopefully, when I settle down this evening, I'll start putting the final scenes together...

Thanks to you all for sticking around..

1 Like

Re: Condemned by saxwizard(m): 1:12pm On Jun 19, 2016
TONYE001:
Muhamadnur, Saxwizard, Lukman, Officialdokkey, Missmossy, Royalexcel2, Summerflame, Osaze20091, enduright, Kizzykeziah, Frankytof, Emmyk, Dera25, 9jaMalay, Queenxstar, Hartfriday, Tastemoney, Lexaydfg, SimpleBea, Kongru, and others too numerous to mention.

Another update is here.

this story is getting hot..weldone sir

1 Like

Re: Condemned by Feyikemi12(f): 11:54pm On Jun 19, 2016
saxwizard:

this story is getting hot..weldone sir
yes it is!

1 Like

Re: Condemned by charlie42(m): 4:28am On Jun 20, 2016
TONYE001:
I just got back from church...would be going to the lab soon to do some work..hopefully, when I settle down this evening, I'll start putting the final scenes together...

Thanks to you all for sticking around..
nice one. more ink to ur biro.

1 Like

Re: Condemned by teamplayey: 6:27am On Jun 20, 2016
. . .Still I read: good morning, people

1 Like

Re: Condemned by saxwizard(m): 7:57am On Jun 20, 2016
Feyikemi12:
yes it is!
hello bae

Re: Condemned by Emmyk(m): 12:59pm On Jun 20, 2016
TONYE001:

Smallie is a fighter...him no go gree die o... grin

I know, but there needs to be twist in this story. Give the audience what they don't expect. grin cheesy

1 Like

Re: Condemned by TONYE001(m): 1:58pm On Jun 20, 2016
Hello All,

Greetings..

Hope you all are having a nice day...yes?

1 Like

Re: Condemned by Frankytof(m): 3:04pm On Jun 20, 2016
Tonye, candidly you've carved a niche for yourself as a literary guru to reckon with soonest. Really impressed with your work. Permit me to make some observations. The story line is limited to only Smallie and his crime escapade's. Little is known or read of, on the Smallie family reaction since he went missing from home, and police reactions on the various killings Smallie was involved in. Generally, a wonderful piece you had here, but variety and variation in the presentation would have added more spice. Looking out for the chapter 10 eeehhhhhh...I sleep, wake and dream your suspense in the story. Superbly designed and a huge plus to the work. Kudos man.....

2 Likes

Re: Condemned by TONYE001(m): 3:27pm On Jun 20, 2016
Edited. See actual post below.

My phone has a way of making me post the same thing twice...
Re: Condemned by TONYE001(m): 3:28pm On Jun 20, 2016
Frankytof:
Tonye, candidly you've carved a niche for yourself as a literary guru to reckon with soonest. Really impressed with your work. Permit me to make some observations. The story line is limited to only Smallie and his crime escapade's. Little is known or read of, on the Smallie family reaction since he went missing from home, and police reactions on the various killings Smallie was involved in. Generally, a wonderful piece you had here, but variety and variation in the presentation would have added more spice. Looking out for the chapter 10 eeehhhhhh...I sleep, wake and dream your suspense in the story. Superbly designed and a huge plus to the work. Kudos man.....

I thank you, my very brother, for your wonderful observation.

The omission is explainable.

As you already know, the story is in the form of a narrative from Smallie's point of view...there isn't a way Smallie would know his parents' reactions to his lifestyle since he isn't with them...the same is the case with the law enforcement folks..

The above is my reason for leaving other details...

Again, thanks...your kind is rare.. smiley

2 Likes

Re: Condemned by Officialdokkey(m): 7:10pm On Jun 20, 2016
TONYE001:

Another update is here.
Nna you too much!

1 Like

Re: Condemned by TONYE001(m): 10:54pm On Jun 20, 2016
Officialdokkey:

Nna you too much!

Thank you brother. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Condemned by TONYE001(m): 12:06am On Jun 21, 2016
...Continued...

Chapter 10

Thursday, 1340 Hours, Downtown Port Harcourt…

Port Harcourt was my most-loved city. A great part of my life was spent in the garden city; right from birth through the days of my schooling, I grew up knowing the capital of Rivers State, understanding its routes and lifestyle.

My return to the garden city was a source of relief. I was home. The familiar feeling of courage and ease welcomed me to my base. The characteristic busy nature of the roads confirmed that I had indeed entered the city.

As our bus drove through the Oyigbo axis towards the city centre, my mind wandered through the memories of my childhood. My uncle, Nimi, used to work in a private firm in this area. Our parents often sent us to Uncle Nimi to spend weekends. At the close of school on Fridays, dad’s driver would pick us up and drive us down to Uncle Nimi’s office. Uncle Nimi would entertain us with our favourite Tom and Jerry cartoon program and a pack of our favourite snack, coconut biscuits. His children – our cousins – enjoyed our company too. On Saturdays, Ibim and I used to play ball with bottle covers and chewed gum while my sisters and Quincy played swe. We used to spend the evenings telling stories and sharing fantasies. Ibim wanted to be a Pilot and his sister, Quincy, an Accountant.

A sad feeling of shame enveloped my heart. In truth, I was the only one that had veered off the course of rightful living. The last time I heard of Ibim, he was in South Africa chasing his dream of being a Pilot and his sister, Quincy, was a student of the prestigious Covenant University. Why is my case always different? My mates were at the right places doing something meaningful with their lives but here I was, in a bus, heading to a rendezvous that was likely to turn fatal. I had gradually moved deeper into the abyss of crime. For what? Money. Fame. Influence.

In a span of a week, I had lost my innocence which had been my only companion for a very long while. I was a fugitive in my state; I was wanted in my city for very serious crimes. I had abandoned my family and the gang – my gang – did not only leave me to my terrible fate but it stole from me.

It was time to right certain wrongs. I knew I had already lost the battle but I was determined to enjoy whatever little win there was for me. My freedom was permanently gone, so was my innocence. Even if I went back to my family, things would never be the same. My situation was like an insect caught in a web; the more it tries to escape, the more entangled it would become. Too bad.

I had pushed my body too far. The pains it cried of had become familiar. I had gotten used to the discomfort. My entire back felt sore, my left shoulder was swollen and it hurt badly but the bleeding had since stopped. My head was a crowd of pains with each presenting its own nature and intensity. Sleep had since escaped my reach. The physical, emotional, and psychological trauma was too much on me. Refuge was a mirage – I only saw it in my imaginations; in reality, I was damned, condemned by the law and by nature. Even death had rejected me a couple of times.

We arrived at the park three hours before my appointment with the Capon. My plan was to get to the venue of our meeting before he did; this would grant me the advantage of sighting him first. Capon was very calculative; I was willing to pay whatever it would cost to know the game he was bringing on. He surely did not ask me to meet him at the club for the purpose of giving me the cash. I knew he would want to play smart on me. He would want to be the boss he truly was.

I exited the park as I walked through the busy Aba Road. I needed a ride. I entered an idle street as I continued in my walk. I had watched Mark hotwire cars a couple of times. I never had an opportunity to practice the skill. I knew the job was easy with older cars as newer products are equipped with complex security systems.

As I walked on, I saw a blue, 1999 VW Passat wagon parked at a corner between two other cars. It looked functional and in good shape. I scanned through the area. There was no one in sight. I hurried to the car as I squatted in the little space between the driver’s door and the other car at its side. The glass was not completely wound up. An inch of space was allowed for ventilation, I thought. I loosened the laces of my shoes as I joined them by making a tight knot. I swiftly made a loop at the centre of the elongated lace. Holding both ends of the lace with my hands, I dropped it into the car through the little gap the glass made. With the string, I located the lock of the car as I pulled gently so that the loop tightened on the lock. Once perfectly secured, I pulled the lace as the lock released a click. I opened the door and got in.

I pulled the plastic covering concealing a network of wires at the driver's side as I went to work. After a series of repeated trials of about two minutes or so, I successfully brought the car to life as the engine vibrated to a start. A check on the fuel gauge revealed that the fuel in the tank was above average. I put my seat-belt on as I drove off.

By the club, Capon meant the joint he always went to for relaxation. It was a small fun house located in Jaja Street close to the coastline of the garden city. Most evenings, he went alone but in some few occasions, he would invite any interested person to accompany him.

I arrived at the club a few minutes short of 3 O’clock. I located an ideal parking space at the side of the road as I pulled the car over. I killed the engine as I settled down for the long wait.

I scanned through the street. The view was familiar. The fair, fat lady that sold roasted plantain and fish just beside the entrance of the club was still there. I recalled patronizing her a couple of times in the past. Men and women walked through the street at different paces, alone and in groups. I saw the workers of the club busy with their various roles as they prepared for the evening’s business.

Everything seemed normal and perfect. Too perfect. I scanned through the street again, this time, in search of tiny details that may be significant. I did not find anything out of place. My heart was alarmed but I could not place my fingers on a cause. I felt like I had driven into a trap, a setup. I looked into the rear mirror, about three cars were lined up behind me. This was normal. People often park their cars beside the road. What then is it?

As the Capon would always say, let your guts lead the way, I decided to heed to the inkling tormenting my heart. I brought the car back to life as I turned the wheel to the road. I engaged the first gear as I stepped hard on the throttle while releasing the clutch pedal. The car jumped to motion with the screech of its front tires. My eyes monitored the vehicles behind through the rear mirror. Almost immediately, I saw two cars pull out into the road, an SUV and an unidentified red car. I was right. These were Capon’s dogs. They were sent to attack me. Capon had made his first move: bring me to the open in the pretext of having a rendezvous; when I show up, attack me. His order was an easy guess: kill via any means necessary. The Capon knew that I would not make it to Port Harcourt early enough. He must have sent his guys to the club as early as possible ensuring that they got there before I did. They had the advantage of proximity.

I shifted to the second gear as I accelerated. My car was no match for theirs. They had all the advantages hanging at their side of the divide. The odds stood against me, once more. I got to a T-junction. I made a sharp left turn as I drove into a short lane connecting Jaja Street to a major road. They were right behind me, catching up. I got to the end of the lane as I made another left turn into the major road. I stepped on the throttle to the floor level as I climbed my way through the gears monitoring the positions of the pursuers with the rear mirror. They were still on my tail, closing in on me at top speed.

My speed got to a hundred kilometers per hour. I felt my adrenaline level climb rapidly as fear clouded my eyes. Down the road, I saw an evening traffic build up. Catastrophe was a few seconds away. I identified an alternate route that usually had less traffic. It was a right branch of the major road. With my left leg on the clutch, I took my right foot off the gas pedal as I made a sharp right turn with the handbrake pulled up and my thumb on the safety button. My car made a right skid into the route. I returned to the accelerator as I straightened the hardened wheel and released the handbrake. That was close! The SUV burst in narrowly missing an electric pole that stood at a side. The smaller car was not as lucky. I saw it ram into the pole. One down, one to go.

I made a hard right turn as I exited the lane. I was blank. I had run out of ideas. I had driven into an unfamiliar terrain and I was on top speed. I felt my courage evaporate. Just then, the SUV hit the rear of my car. The shock jolted me to the reality of the situation. The effect of the force pushed me backwards violently. I lost control of my car as it swayed from side to side. I was alarmed and scared. I held tightly on the wheel with both hands as I tried to steady the car. The SUV was closing in for another crash. I could not stand it any longer. A right turn a few feet away seemed to be a momentary escape plan. I pulled the car into the turn. At that instant, a cab was parked at the side, just after the junction. Its back door pushed open as an old man prepared to alight. It was too late. I smashed the door as a loud bang exploded followed by the sound of metal scraping on tar. Jesus! My heart rate skyrocketed as I felt a familiar chill flow through my body.

The SUV was right behind me. This road was a long stretch. I was already above a hundred and twenty. My car felt light as the sound of its engine peaked. The SUV maintained its distance behind. Why was it not hitting me? It was a great opportunity for the driver to ram me from behind. His car could stomach the speed but he did not. Instead, he maintained a fair gap between his car and mine. In the middle of my thought process, a sound jolted me like a bolt of lightning. Puff! And another, puff! I looked into the rear mirror. I saw an armed hand aimed at my car through the passenger window. God! Those were bullets from a silenced handgun. I was under fire. I pulled my car to the left lane as I tried to frustrate the shooter's aiming. Kpass! It was my right side mirror. What was left of it was a dangling plastic carcass held in place by a black wire. Take it easy! You would kill me at this rate!

I needed to find my way behind the SUV. Ahead was a petrol tanker. An opportunity at last. It was driving slowly on the right lane. There was a narrow space between the tanker and the pedestrian walk. I stepped on the brake mildly as I turned my car into the space. I returned to the accelerator as I fired. The SUV took the left lane. I monitored its position through the space between the giant tanker and the road. As we approached the front of the tanker, I stepped on my brake and clutch as I decelerated. The SUV noticed my move but it was too late, I was already far behind it. The driver had to choose between stepping hard on his brake and tumbling and fighting back via any other means. He chose the latter.

I returned to the left lane. I was now behind the SUV. We were approaching the end of the road; there was no room for speed. I stepped hard on the accelerator as I launched a PIT maneuver from the driver’s side of the SUV. The driver did not see it coming. He lost control of his vehicle and in his struggle to regain control, the SUV somersaulted as its parts broke off in fragments with each flip. The trailer engaged his brake as its tires made a dull screech. I stepped on my brake as I brought my car to a stop.

I unhooked my seat-belt as I stepped out of the car and hurried to the wrecked SUV. It rested upside-down as a thick white smoke rose from its engine and elsewhere. The rear tires were still spinning. Its inhabitants – the driver and the shooter – were soaked in their blood. The shooter smashed his head into the windshield and the driver had a big cut on his forehead. They were both motionless.

I went to the passenger’s side of the vehicle. I reached for the shooter through the open window. I searched through his pockets. I found a wallet and a phone. I picked them as I returned to my car, made a U-turn, and sped off as a crowd of sympathizers gathered around the crashed SUV.

...To Be Continued...

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Condemned by TONYE001(m): 12:15am On Jun 21, 2016

A midnight update for you guys..

4 Likes

Re: Condemned by TONYE001(m): 6:29am On Jun 21, 2016
Good morning folks...

How una dey?
Re: Condemned by summerflame(m): 6:51am On Jun 21, 2016
Do u really reside in ibadan feyikemi?

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Love Is A Game By Onyeneke Abel / Ade Son Of Thunder( A Tale About Love, Destiny And Betrayal) / Free E-books Download!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.