Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,905 members, 7,814,064 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:55 AM

Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly (62052 Views)

Man Wrongly Arrested For Murder Discharged After Spending 6 Years In Jail. PICS / SARS Operatives Shoot Man Wrongly Labeled A Fraudster In Ojota - Pictures / Benjamin Adefemi Ogunbodede Jailed For 40 Years For N177 Million Fraud (PICS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by Nobody: 4:34pm On May 10, 2016
An African American man who spent nearly 40 years behind bars in the US state of Ohio for a murder he did not commit will receive $1 million from the state for his wrongful imprisonment.
On Thursday, an Ohio Court of Claims judge ordered that just more than $1 million be paid to Ricky Jackson.
Jackson said he learnt about the payment from a reporter who had called him on Thursday afternoon to get his reaction over the court order.
“Wow, I didn’t know that,” Jackson said. “Wow wow wow, that’s fantastic, man. I don’t even know what to say. This is going to mean so much.”
Michele Berry, his attorney from the Innocence Project, said a financial advisor will help Jackson to handle the money in the wisest way.
After hearing the news of the court order, Berry became emotional and expressed her appreciation for all that the innocent black man went through.
“It’s been an honor to work for and with Ricky,” she said. “He’s probably the wisest person I’ve ever met.”
In November, Jackson, 57, and Wiley Bridgeman, 60, were both exonerated in a 1975 murder after a key witness against them, who was 13 years old at the time, admitted in 2013 that he lied during his testimony.
Eddie Vernon, now 53, told a minister who visited him at a hospital in 2013 that he had never actually witnessed the crime. He said Cleveland police detectives coerced him into testifying that the men killed businessman Harry Franks on May 19, 1975.
The Ohio Innocence Project, which took up their case, said Jackson and Bridgeman’s 39 years imprisonment mark them as the longest-serving exonerees in US history.
According to a study released in April, one in every 25 death row inmates in the United States is innocent. Approximately 3,000 US prisoners are waiting to be put to death.
African Americans are also far more likely to be arrested and imprisoned by police than any other racial group, according to a recent analysis by USA TODAY.
Experts say the dramatic gap in arrest and prison rates reflects biased policing as well as the vast economic and educational inequalities that plague much of the US.

http://saharareportersrescue.com/2016/05/05/for-spending-40-years-in-jail-wrongly-us-court-awards-african-man-1-million/

14 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by GloriaNinja(f): 4:50pm On May 10, 2016
Such thing will never happen in Nigeria.

66 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by Luckylife(m): 5:10pm On May 10, 2016
Ok

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by Adesiji77: 5:11pm On May 10, 2016
40 years? shocked

18 Likes

Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by Nobody: 5:50pm On May 10, 2016
More than 200 million naira. grin Baba God ooo. grin

7 Likes

Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by Nobody: 7:06pm On May 10, 2016
Baba God oooo!!
People that drives range Rover, Build Duplex, marry wife, born children, have 17 shops in alaba, buy car for their parents, travels around the world, .....My Question is oooo ,

She dem no come out from woman T*TO??

Abeg Baba God Just pick my call .... incase you are seeing my call and you don't know who is calling...
MY NAME IS : CHUKWUDIEZIGBOTEGWU CHUKWUKADIBIA ..
ADDRESS: ORILE IGANMU LAGOS

249 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by Isoni(m): 7:06pm On May 10, 2016
This can only happen in a country with a sound judiciary system.

Here in Burkina Faso we all envy this man grin grin grin

27 Likes

Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by Akshow: 7:06pm On May 10, 2016
Bullsheet! Just one million dollars for forty years? The compensation is very shabby. Forty years of his youthful life was taken for crying out loud! I'm pissed. angry

420 Likes 26 Shares

Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by marsoden: 7:06pm On May 10, 2016
Blood of Jesus! 40 what? 1 million dollars? That's too poor.

98 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by Nobody: 7:06pm On May 10, 2016
S
Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by Sunnycliff(m): 7:06pm On May 10, 2016
Tears of Joy! But how on earth should America of All nation Wrongly incarcerate someone for 40 good years!

In fact that money too small o!

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by Peacetemi: 7:07pm On May 10, 2016
Luckylife:
God blessing in disguise!
I disagree with you sir. 40years?? If Bill Gates had spent 40 years in jail, and after his release got paid 1million dollars, would he be the billionaire that he is?? They already killed the man's destiny, God save us from such things. Amen!!

246 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by lifestyle1(m): 7:07pm On May 10, 2016
hmmmmm
Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by henrydadon(m): 7:07pm On May 10, 2016
1millon dollar that money too small abeg..well he can only be cheated like this because he is a black man.no white man will settle for 1millon dollar after 40 year behind bars...and beside lawyer will still collects their own pay which is almost half the money..

28 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by amnestylaw1(m): 7:08pm On May 10, 2016
With that money, hecould go to school, get the best education and invest in a business that will take care of him and his children (if he will have any).
Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by gozi542: 7:08pm On May 10, 2016
Oboy... see money.
Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by Nobody: 7:08pm On May 10, 2016
Absolute rubbish!!! angry Spending that amount of years in prison doesn't mean sleeping and eating all day. What if he was sexually harrased there? Its very common. This can never happen to a white person. All those racist fuuls! angry

45 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by ClintonNzedimma(m): 7:08pm On May 10, 2016
Sunnycliff:
Tears of Joy! But how on earth should America of All nation Wrongly incarcerate someone for 40 good years!

In fact that money too small o!
can dis be done in nigeria?
this is a good justice system

1 Like

Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by Nobody: 7:08pm On May 10, 2016
GloriaNinja:
Such thing will never happen in Nigeria.
people are wrongly accused of doing what they didn't do, and are being sentenced to prison here in Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by GboyegaD(m): 7:08pm On May 10, 2016
They successfully wasted him and no compensation can account for the freedom he lost while behind bars.

38 Likes 3 Shares

EIYA!!! I BLAME BUHARI.

2 Likes

Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by FlatheadCoward: 7:08pm On May 10, 2016
Not enough at all.
Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by slimpoppa(m): 7:08pm On May 10, 2016
will that buy him the years he wasted in jail?

3 Likes

Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by kokoye(m): 7:08pm On May 10, 2016
I doubt this validity of this story - that amount is ridiculously small. Even people who were wrongly jailed for 5 years got like 5 million at least.

6 Likes

Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by laprince(m): 7:09pm On May 10, 2016
oops!

Too small, too little.

However, his innocence will be remembered for life.
Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by ikdiaro(m): 7:09pm On May 10, 2016
This can happen in my mother's country oh* niger we hail theee
Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by elbaraj001(m): 7:09pm On May 10, 2016
Ah...dats nice to hear...he is finally going to be rich after long tym of suffering...
Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by Amberon: 7:10pm On May 10, 2016
oo
Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by myners007: 7:10pm On May 10, 2016
God don answer him call

1 Like

Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by nextstep(m): 7:10pm On May 10, 2016
40 years wasted for a crime he did not commit. shocked The best and most productive years of one's life, just taken away because somebody gave false testimony. May we never be visited with such bad luck, AMEN!!!

The scary part is that (according to the article) 1 in 25 people in jail are being held for something they didn't do. Na wah!

14 Likes

Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by cold(m): 7:10pm On May 10, 2016
Too little

2 Likes

Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by VickyRotex(f): 7:10pm On May 10, 2016
No amount of money can replace the wasted years.

Oga o. 40 years is a lot. Long before I was even born. embarassed

And I already feel like I've lived for 100 years. undecided

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

FRSC Official Collects N10,000 Bribe From A Man, Forgets His IPhone 7 In His Car / Uduak Emmanuel Arrested For Drugs In Cyprus, Again / Four US Embassy Staff Killed In Anambra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.