Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,282 members, 7,836,257 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 12:51 AM

Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly - Crime (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly (62094 Views)

Man Wrongly Arrested For Murder Discharged After Spending 6 Years In Jail. PICS / SARS Operatives Shoot Man Wrongly Labeled A Fraudster In Ojota - Pictures / Benjamin Adefemi Ogunbodede Jailed For 40 Years For N177 Million Fraud (PICS) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by lawrenzooo: 11:02pm On May 10, 2016
Localamos:

The smart pants praised America's 'sound' judicial system. Not me. So he has to define what sound means.

True, the gesture is touching (in a positive way), but it is because their system isn't sound, that's why an innocent man was made to spend all of his productive years in jail. Except there is a new definition to 'sound'.

And I think the word you meant to use is erred, not aired. wink
Tell me one nation where there is no possibility of an innocent man going to jail? Judicial systems rely on witnesses and If a witness can tell a lie and defend it then I don't think we should blame the judicial system as there no place where such cannot happen.

All the same thanks for the correction.

1 Like

Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by shugaboy6102(m): 11:18pm On May 10, 2016
I cried within wen i read this.After 40yrs u give a man u wrongfully imprisoned $1m this is satanic and cruel.even bill gates money is too small for that wasted years.am sure he has no wife no children no nothing.That guy shud have been idolised and given all right and priviledges by the state to have and own watever he wants because even if he commited the crime 40yrs is so much talk more of an innocent dude.what a wicked world
Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by shugaboy6102(m): 11:21pm On May 10, 2016
That guy that gave that false information for so long really had no conscience despite even if he was coerced.ppl are heartless.this is really an indictment fot the American police n judicial system.
Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by AreaFada2: 11:26pm On May 10, 2016
stevecantrell:

Rodney King got 2 Million and was found dead in his swimming pool years later...foul play ?

You see, 2m around 10 to 15 years ago is approaching 3m to 4m in value today.

I hope he did not succumb to drugs.

Sudden "free" money can be hard to control.

Though foul play is possible.

2 Likes

Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by sinola(m): 11:35pm On May 10, 2016
Dharniel:
An African American man who spent nearly 40 years behind bars in the US state of Ohio for a murder he did not commit will receive $1 million from the state for his wrongful imprisonment.
On Thursday, an Ohio Court of Claims judge ordered that just more than $1 million be paid to Ricky Jackson.
Jackson said he learnt about the payment from a reporter who had called him on Thursday afternoon to get his reaction over the court order.
“Wow, I didn’t know that,” Jackson said. “Wow wow wow, that’s fantastic, man. I don’t even know what to say. This is going to mean so much.”
Michele Berry, his attorney from the Innocence Project, said a financial advisor will help Jackson to handle the money in the wisest way.
After hearing the news of the court order, Berry became emotional and expressed her appreciation for all that the innocent black man went through.
“It’s been an honor to work for and with Ricky,” she said. “He’s probably the wisest person I’ve ever met.”
In November, Jackson, 57, and Wiley Bridgeman, 60, were both exonerated in a 1975 murder after a key witness against them, who was 13 years old at the time, admitted in 2013 that he lied during his testimony.
Eddie Vernon, now 53, told a minister who visited him at a hospital in 2013 that he had never actually witnessed the crime. He said Cleveland police detectives coerced him into testifying that the men killed businessman Harry Franks on May 19, 1975.
The Ohio Innocence Project, which took up their case, said Jackson and Bridgeman’s 39 years imprisonment mark them as the longest-serving exonerees in US history.
According to a study released in April, one in every 25 death row inmates in the United States is innocent. Approximately 3,000 US prisoners are waiting to be put to death.
African Americans are also far more likely to be arrested and imprisoned by police than any other racial group, according to a recent analysis by USA TODAY.
Experts say the dramatic gap in arrest and prison rates reflects biased policing as well as the vast economic and educational inequalities that plague much of the US.

http://saharareportersrescue.com/2016/05/05/for-spending-40-years-in-jail-wrongly-us-court-awards-african-man-1-million/

Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by cassyrooy(m): 11:36pm On May 10, 2016
Dharniel:
An African American man who spent nearly 40 years behind bars in the US state of Ohio for a murder he did not commit will receive $1 million from the state for his wrongful imprisonment.
On Thursday, an Ohio Court of Claims judge ordered that just more than $1 million be paid to Ricky Jackson.
Jackson said he learnt about the payment from a reporter who had called him on Thursday afternoon to get his reaction over the court order.
“Wow, I didn’t know that,” Jackson said. “Wow wow wow, that’s fantastic, man. I don’t even know what to say. This is going to mean so much.”
Michele Berry, his attorney from the Innocence Project, said a financial advisor will help Jackson to handle the money in the wisest way.
After hearing the news of the court order, Berry became emotional and expressed her appreciation for all that the innocent black man went through.
“It’s been an honor to work for and with Ricky,” she said. “He’s probably the wisest person I’ve ever met.”
In November, Jackson, 57, and Wiley Bridgeman, 60, were both exonerated in a 1975 murder after a key witness against them, who was 13 years old at the time, admitted in 2013 that he lied during his testimony.
Eddie Vernon, now 53, told a minister who visited him at a hospital in 2013 that he had never actually witnessed the crime. He said Cleveland police detectives coerced him into testifying that the men killed businessman Harry Franks on May 19, 1975.
The Ohio Innocence Project, which took up their case, said Jackson and Bridgeman’s 39 years imprisonment mark them as the longest-serving exonerees in US history.
According to a study released in April, one in every 25 death row inmates in the United States is innocent. Approximately 3,000 US prisoners are waiting to be put to death.
African Americans are also far more likely to be arrested and imprisoned by police than any other racial group, according to a recent analysis by USA TODAY.
Experts say the dramatic gap in arrest and prison rates reflects biased policing as well as the vast economic and educational inequalities that plague much of the US.

http://saharareportersrescue.com/2016/05/05/for-spending-40-years-in-jail-wrongly-us-court-awards-african-man-1-million/

I reported this story last year
https://www.nairaland.com/2009255/man-wrongly-convicted-murder-release
Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by THYRAIN(m): 11:39pm On May 10, 2016
dovelike:
Absolute rubbish!!! angry Spending that amount of years in prison doesn't mean sleeping and eating all day. What if he was sexually harrased there? Its very common. This can never happen to a white person. All those racist fuuls! angry
dovelike:
Absolute rubbish!!! angry Spending that amount of years in prison doesn't mean sleeping and eating all day. What if he was sexually harrased there? Its very common. This can never happen to a white person. All those racist fuuls! angry
dovelike:

1 Like

Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by Localamos(m): 11:55pm On May 10, 2016
lawrenzooo:

Tell me one nation where there is no possibility of an innocent man going to jail? Judicial systems rely on witnesses and If a witness can tell a lie and defend it then I don't think we should blame the judicial system as there no place where such cannot happen.

All the same thanks for the correction.

Judicial system goes beyond the walls of the court room. In this story, you can see the staggering figures of innocent convicts that would die. More worrisome is the racial profiling and discrimination that occurs within the American judicial system.

If you want to praise the courage of a few people to put hope in their judicial system, then that's fine. But if you tell me that theirs is 'sound' (syn: accurate, without blemish, perfect), then I think that would be going over the line.

No human system is perfect. That's why people exploit the systems unfairly.
Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by kalu01(m): 12:03am On May 11, 2016
GloriaNinja:
What's FTC?
i think it means front page.
Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by stchinedu: 12:07am On May 11, 2016
Akshow:
Bullsheet! Just one million dollars for forty years? The compensation is very shabby. Forty years of his youthful life was taken for crying out loud! I'm pissed. angry
my thought too...40yrs of his youthful life taken away! angry
Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by GloriaNinja(f): 12:17am On May 11, 2016
Stallione:
oooh my gosh,ua so pretty!!!
Thank u

1 Like

Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by GloriaNinja(f): 12:19am On May 11, 2016
kalu01:
i think it means front page.
oh cool
Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by blahcknproud: 12:30am On May 11, 2016
it's rather unfortunate that someone will consider 40 years in jail a blessing because of a million dollars. when will Nigerians place value on life
Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by Kingkamal(m): 12:30am On May 11, 2016
Sunnycliff:
Tears of Joy! But how on earth should America of All nation Wrongly incarcerate someone for 40 good years!

In fact that money too small o!
guy those things you see in the movies about America is just a propaganda.. They hate blacks they try to show you that all black men are drug pushers while all black women are prostitutes. And many innocent blacks have been sentenced to death..
Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by gotousa2013: 12:44am On May 11, 2016
some people who has never counted 100 thousand in their entire life will come and say this is a miracle! At 40 the man could have achieved greater feat , more legendary than 1miillion dollars.
Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by Nobody: 12:59am On May 11, 2016
THYRAIN:
[color=#770077][/color]
Oga why you dey quote me 3 times na?
Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by Churchillumoren: 1:11am On May 11, 2016
Sunnycliff:
Tears of Joy! But how on earth should America of All nation Wrongly incarcerate someone for 40 good years!

SOME STATES DONT PAY A KOBO HERE IN THE US ...U RELEASED JUST GO HOME
Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by bora1(m): 2:27am On May 11, 2016
Ridiculous in a continent like US. Laudable and worthy of emulation for Africa Judicial system. cool
Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by Exxit(m): 2:41am On May 11, 2016
SillyeRabbit:
More than 200 million naira. grin Baba God ooo. grin
the mans life was legit wasted. 40 years gone for 1 million dollars? in the usa, he'll need to still get a job or some investment to maintain such amount or....
Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by flyken: 3:08am On May 11, 2016
GloriaNinja:
Such thing will never happen in Nigeria.

Don't tell me you're glorifying this injustice because of one million dollars. Poverty sucks.

Years he will never get back
Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by GloriaNinja(f): 3:15am On May 11, 2016
flyken:

Don't tell me you're glorifying this injustice because of one million dollars. Poverty sucks.

Years he will never get back
but a million dollars is much.
Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by VickyRotex(f): 4:37am On May 11, 2016
GANJAFARMER:
But a typical Black man will suck it up and and bear the brunt.

He should get guj and a shoot somebody in charge of the justice system of where he was convicted and jailed , drop the cheque or whatever document that was attached to the one million dollar and kill himself to pass a message to the biased justice system that has constantly and wrongly in a systemic way jailed innocent black boys over a crime they know nothing about.

lol.

shocked
Haba Bros, na that killing I no support o. embarassed
Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by VickyRotex(f): 4:40am On May 11, 2016
Explorers:

Abi o, a million dollars that some people will make in months.

I just tire. Not worth all that he went through at all. No amount is worth it.
Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by thexzy(m): 4:45am On May 11, 2016
chidozieikeji2:
u think money is everything so u don't know that this guy didn't marry and also he don't have children where will he start now an even if he has children don't u know the children have been deprived of fatherly care wich is very important
Guy cool down, I didn't say money is everything joor, I only said for the fact that @least He has been compensated, that alone is better than none. There are a lot of people out there that theirs might have been peanuts. Imagine this kind thing happened in Naija, you know it all na.....that cash is enough to start HIM from a Zero Point.....@least he has something to hold on to for the main time. $1million no be BEANS... This Guy now is much better than a roadside mallam that has been selling petty stuffs for over 40yrs of his Life (for eg. Say, kola nut only). Money isn't everything yeah we know, but this will go a long way in helping start up something. Let'§ just be realistic for once.
Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by riczy(m): 5:11am On May 11, 2016
Peacetemi:
I disagree with you sir. 40years?? If Bill Gates had spent 40 years in jail, and after his release got paid 1million dollars, would he be the billionaire that he is?? They already killed the man's destiny, God save us from such things. Amen!!
Thanks to God it didn't happen to him in Naija,he would av known d difference BTW six and half a dozen
Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by Leiman100(m): 5:29am On May 11, 2016
Isoni:
This can only happen in a country with a sound judiciary system.

Here in Burkina Faso we all envy this man grin grin grin

which man?
Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by Lucasbalo(m): 5:38am On May 11, 2016
Sunnycliff:

It's a common occurrence here. Sad but true.
Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by Akshow: 5:53am On May 11, 2016
DICKtator:

Can't you read?

Please read and digest every words written before commenting.

Thank you!!

grin grin grin grin
I think you lack comprehension skills except you are just being mischievous.
Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by Taku555(m): 6:31am On May 11, 2016
GloriaNinja:
can Nigeria offer an innocent released inmate one million naira? hell no!
yes they (Nigeria) can but it depends on the nature of the case.
Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by Taku555(m): 6:34am On May 11, 2016
otiigba1:

Because nigeria is a Zoo. Some politician will proberbly divert the money in his own pocket and keep the innocent man in prison indefinitely perharps even murdered so as to cover the injustice/corruption/divertion of the money up
join us to pray for a better Nigeria. A land free of corruption
Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by Isoni(m): 6:44am On May 11, 2016
Roch Marc Christian Kaboré

Leiman100:
which man?
Re: Court Awards $1Million To Ricky Jackson For Spending 40 Years In Jail Wrongly by LOVEGINO(m): 6:50am On May 11, 2016
My guy don collect gratuity grin if na me, I go jst come back to Africa. Lodge for 7star hotel for 3months, enjoy my self like say no tomorrow. Before I begin think of wetin I go do with my life.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Nigerian Man Imprisoned For Attempting To Meet With 14-Year-Old Girl In UK (Pix) / Nigerian Rotimi Olaleye Found Dead After Night With "Trans" Prostitute in Texas / Uduak Emmanuel Arrested For Drugs In Cyprus, Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.