Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,197 members, 7,811,516 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:29 PM

Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? - Business (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? (21647 Views)

Did The ATM In Computer Village Scam Me? / 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. / Are You In Lagos? Don't Visit The ATM On Friday !! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by LordVoldemort(m): 8:01am On Jun 08, 2016
PAnaceA7:
Not possible........Dats why I laff whenever I see Pple count money in front of d ATM....

Let's assume it shortchanged you, how do u even prove it to d bank.

Sometimes it's good to go through the money If you can't count. Their are some Evil Bankers that mix 500 notes with 1000 note In the same casset so when the machine is paying you he wil pay you 500naira instead of 1k

1 Like

Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by gonkraziiiiii: 8:04am On Jun 08, 2016
Yes ol....I asked for 20k and got 8k....Omor I wan mad....it took about 2 mths to get ma money back ooo...

1 Like

Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by TemiATM(m): 8:05am On Jun 08, 2016
Sure, it happens every now and then, even to me. It once counted 500 naira note as 1k .

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by ekorian: 8:05am On Jun 08, 2016
It happened to me in Ikorodu, I wanted to withdraw 5k, d machine dispensed 3k, alas! I got alert for 5k..!!!
I had to call GTconnect b/4 I got d reversal...
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by dahunsy(f): 8:06am On Jun 08, 2016
I was paid 16k instead of 8k in fcmb ilorin last year dec....so if it can overpay...surely can underpay

1 Like

Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by gonkraziiiiii: 8:06am On Jun 08, 2016
PAnaceA7:
Not possible........Dats why I laff whenever I see Pple count money in front of d ATM....

Very possible...it happened to me...I got 8k instead of 20k....dey returned my money after plenty noise and 2 months later

2 Likes

Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by hpk(m): 8:09am On Jun 08, 2016
YOUR FINANCIAL INSTITUTION IS UNAVAILABLE...
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by PAnaceA7(m): 8:12am On Jun 08, 2016
LordVoldemort:

Sometimes it's good to go through the money If you can't count. Their are some Evil Bankers that mix 500 notes with 1000 note In the same casset so when the machine is paying you he wil pay you 500naira instead of 1k

Noted.... I haven't encountered such before but thanks all d same.

1 Like

Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by PAnaceA7(m): 8:15am On Jun 08, 2016
gonkraziiiiii:

Very possible...it happened to me...I got 8k instead of 20k....dey returned my money after plenty noise and 2 months later

If TRUE... u must be very lucky then..How where you even able to convince them wen it's not that the security man/woman at d ATM was with you wen it happened
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by koboko69: 8:15am On Jun 08, 2016
PAnaceA7:

It is over possible. Former AfriBank near Wahum on Adeniyi Jones was over disbursing that it had to be shut down for weeks for it ti be rectified.

1 Like

Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by nellybadas: 8:16am On Jun 08, 2016
This is no joke. ATM paid me half way n I cldnt even remove the remaining. I snapped it to show d bank staff but was in a hurry n cldnt wait due to the long queue inside the bank. The money divided into two incomplete parts. This happened in Ph.

2 Likes

Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by BabaO2: 8:17am On Jun 08, 2016
dav8id:

that can't be true..maybe your money hang when you are trying to collect it from the machine
It is possible if the bank staff erroneously loaded combination of different denominations, the machine only counts, it doesn't know difference between N1000 or N500 etc

1 Like

Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by Winneygirl(f): 8:18am On Jun 08, 2016
This is known as partial dispense error.

Usually hard to work out from d back end, but if the custodians of d machine are diligent and manage d ATM as they should, they would detect fairly early that someone was short paid.
They should know by the next day.

My advice is: Lay your complaint early.
Some people wait till about 2 months before complaining about a dispense error. Do you know the volume of transactions an ATM processes daily? Imagine 2 months.

1 Like

Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by koboko69: 8:18am On Jun 08, 2016
spartan4christ:
ATM can never make mistake,except u forget to take ur complete cash from d machine...

You are incorrect sir. I am aware of obe that eas over disbursing in former Africa Bank, Adeniyi Jones near Wahum. Some times it under dispense, sometimes debits u and nithi comes out. It was shut down for weeks to be corrected. That was 2008

1 Like

Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by fognext: 8:19am On Jun 08, 2016
It's just shows that Nigerians don't truth an ATM just like we don't truth the people who are in government or were in government.
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by cmpunk: 8:20am On Jun 08, 2016
It happened to me around 2010 / 2011.

i was at first bank mobile bank infront of Ogudu police station at Kosofe LG in lag. It was around 7AM cos i was already on my way to work. I withdrew 10K but i observed it was to handy when i took it from the machine. i counted and discovered it was only 5k but i was actually debited 10K. i was puzzled.

so i tried to withdraw another 20k but it dispensed 10K. Then i knew something was wrong.It also happened to other customers that tried to withdraw. I had to wait till 8AM when they resumed to lodge a complain and they told me to fill a form which i did and left for work.

Around 10 AM, I got a call from their customer care apologizing and begging me seriously that the mistake is from them and shortly my account was credited with what was debited and never dispensed.

in my mind, i knew some of their I.T guys might get a querry for making such a silly mistake inputing wrong amount to dispense in that branch.

1 Like

Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by frisky2good(m): 8:20am On Jun 08, 2016
Sterling bank ATM in idimu, Lagos gave me 7500 instead of 10k. I'm sure it was the handwork of whoever loaded cash in the machine. Instead of 10 1000 Naira notes, I got 5 1000 Naira notes and 5 500 Naira notes. I complained but till today, I have not been refunded.

1 Like

Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by PAnaceA7(m): 8:22am On Jun 08, 2016
koboko69:

It is over possible. Former AfriBank near Wahum on Adeniyi Jones was over disbursing that it had to be shut down for weeks for it ti be rectified.

hmm....the ATM was obviously malfunctioning and it would have involved many pple
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by frisky2good(m): 8:22am On Jun 08, 2016
They probably loaded wrong denomination in wrong cassettes.

cmpunk:

i was at first bank mobile bank infront of Ogudu police station at Kosofe LG in lag. It was around 7AM cos i was already on my way to work. I withdrew 10K but i observed it was to handy when i took it from the machine. i counted and discovered it was only 5k but i was actually debited 10K. i was puzzled.

so i tried to withdraw another 20k but it dispensed 10K. Then i knew something was wrong.It also happened to other customers that tried to withdraw. I had to wait till 8AM when they resumed to lodge a complain and they told me to fill a form which i did and left for work.

Around 10 AM, I got a call from their customer care apologizing and begging me seriously that the mistake is from them and shortly my account was credited with what was debited and never dispensed.

in my mind, i knew some of their I.T guys might get a querry for making such a silly mistake inputing wrong amount to dispense in that branch.
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by MrImole: 8:22am On Jun 08, 2016
It once overpaid me when I was in oau.

It paid me 7k when I demanded for 5k, and I had only that 5k in my account

1 Like

Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by PAnaceA7(m): 8:23am On Jun 08, 2016
cmpunk:

Good for you.... Because u were not the only complainant
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by segzy0i(m): 8:33am On Jun 08, 2016
Yes union bank ATM in oju ore sango ota. I was about to withdraw money that day so I just press d amt a lady worker of the bank was standing behind asking me to count the money at first I refuse but later wen i counted I was short paid of 5k but the good thing was dt theamount paid was the corresponding sms received bt not the amount i wanted to collect initially
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by adisa204(m): 8:33am On Jun 08, 2016
pattyphil:
Never. Machines don't cheat na. gabbage in gabbage out. wat u type is wat u get. D only exception is wen ur village pple is at work.
ose so machines can't malfunction abi, I know of someone that was shortchanged at the Atm and nigga wanted to bring down the banking hall that day!

1 Like

Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by cityAdventures: 8:35am On Jun 08, 2016
OlowoB:
Well I only know of overpaid. Back then in LUTH, a friend of mine went to the machine and wanted to withdraw 10k (this machine is opposite FOODIE, a very popular restaurant in LUTH) after slotting in the card to withdraw the money, he discovered the machine paid him an extra 1k.

He slot in his card again and tried to withdraw another amount and the same thing happened. My guy who can think so fast grin just quickly ran to the cyber cafe and printed a flyer (COMPSSSA) saying DO NOT USE this machine cos it is out of order. He later went to go and pay more money into his account and also went to go and collect people's cards from them, using theirs also.

Infact, he made close to like 200k back then. He only told me after the deal had been done. I felt like slapping him. This was like 2008 when guys were so bad gan.

Special shout out to all Medilag students here 2005-2010.

So as recently as 2008, people were loaning out their cards with passwords abi? If i hear. And no one was seeing him withdraw cos it was hidden, abi?

You can lie for africa.

Anyway, my atm used to pay me 19k every midnight. Thats everyday. This was 2002 or 2003. Then it was ATMC that had d most machines- atm consortium n their machines wrre always down. And u couldnt use an interswitch machine on atmc anyway.

So i was always all over school n lagos looking for a blinking machine. So i got 19k(which was my final balance before it started overpaying me) for more than a month.

Then i got greedy and paid in 60k, so i would be getting the maximum allowable balance everyday.

Then...it ended. Talk about killing the goose that lays the golden egg.

We werr d early adopters of technology and as it is with any such technologies, you either lose or gain wen u r an early adopter.
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by Abeyjide: 8:37am On Jun 08, 2016
atm onced overpaid me.have to returned the excess cash.
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by pattyphil(f): 8:37am On Jun 08, 2016
adisa204:
ose so machines can't malfunction abi, I know of someone that was shortchanged at the Atm and nigga wanted to bring down the banking hall that day!

u didn't read d end of my post. There is alwz an exception.
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by dave4rella(m): 8:37am On Jun 08, 2016
Yes,that day I was withdrawng 20k,in the multiples of 1000 naira note,but I found 200 inside it,I went iniside the bank to complain and the guy said it was a mistake and gave me 1000 note,it happened in lagos

1 Like

Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by mclaaro(f): 8:41am On Jun 08, 2016
PAnaceA7:

it does. It once happenedt to my sis, she sent ha frnd to use ha card,n ha frnd withdrew frm ha own acct as well, she put the money separately and started spending from hers, she gave my sis ha own money which was 500naira short,my sis told ha it wasn't complete, they both agreed she was short paid I said it wasn't possible, my sis sent a mail to ha back, they acknowledge it,apologize and refund d 500naira to ha acct. Wen she sent the mail I was still sayin is not possible I had to keep shut smiley when she showed me the mail n d 500naira crdt alert. SO IT HAPPENS

1 Like

Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by Bookiemart01(f): 8:41am On Jun 08, 2016
Ehn ehn.....are you sure or you are just giving us bobo undecided

OlowoB:
Well I only know of overpaid. Back then in LUTH, a friend of mine went to the machine and wanted to withdraw 10k (this machine is opposite FOODIE, a very popular restaurant in LUTH) after slotting in the card to withdraw the money, he discovered the machine paid him an extra 1k.

He slot in his card again and tried to withdraw another amount and the same thing happened. My guy who can think so fast grin just quickly ran to the cyber cafe and printed a flyer (COMPSSSA) saying DO NOT USE this machine cos it is out of order. He later went to go and pay more money into his account and also went to go and collect people's cards from them, using theirs also.

Infact, he made close to like 200k back then. He only told me after the deal had been done. I felt like slapping him. This was like 2008 when guys were so bad gan.

Special shout out to all Medilag students here 2005-2010.
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by Armstrong34(m): 8:42am On Jun 08, 2016
I wuld Neva forget d day...ATM gv me excess DAT...as I was redrawing ma account was getting credited ...I got an excess of 40k DAT day....as foolish as I wascheesy I declared free drinks for friends not knwin dat d mistake was frm my company....I had to work for like 3 months free to pay bakcheesy
....na dat day I knw say ATM knw Maths...ma account cum dey show -#40000 as balance meaning say I dey owe..

1 Like

Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by Weah96: 8:45am On Jun 08, 2016
In the US, it's a blessing in disguise. U can recover all of your money by calling the owner. Just tell them that your money got stuck in the dispenser. Usually only a small portion gets stuck, but that's their problem not yours.
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by ifenadi(m): 8:50am On Jun 08, 2016
Yes, ATM has short paid me once. I withdrew 10k and I was paid in 500 naira bills. When I counted the money, it was just 10 pieces of 500 naira bills- 5k less the actual amount. I know it was a fault of the ATM custodian. He loaded 500 naira notes into 1000 note carrister. When I contacted my bank, the balance was paid back to my account within few minutes.

Ever since I count my notes especially whenever I am paid 500 naira notes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

OIL PRICE CRASH: Nigeria In Top 5 At-Risk Countries - Global Risk Insights / CBN Cash Withdrawal Limits May Hinder Economic Growth As It Happened In India / Venturing Into Perfume Business:advice Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.