Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,081 members, 7,811,029 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 09:12 PM

Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? (21645 Views)

Did The ATM In Computer Village Scam Me? / 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. / Are You In Lagos? Don't Visit The ATM On Friday !! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by hassanvic(m): 12:03pm On Jun 08, 2016
There's nothing bad in counting your money because human error can happen while loading the cassettes. I witnessed one when my boss made a mistake in re-loading the machine and it's one of our security guys that alerted us after it short-paid one customer for 5k instead of 10k.
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by Nobody: 12:29pm On Jun 08, 2016
Heheeheheh ATM's can short pay you, that's also dispense error
If you think its safe to count your cash before leaving the ATM stand pls do count to be sure its correct and also check for fake notes. Report issues immediately to the bank before leaving
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by Phobia1: 12:50pm On Jun 08, 2016
okey4reel:
i have come across people who withdraw money from the ATM and stood there to count the money to be sure if its complete, hmmmm i dont understand this, has ATM ever short-paid anybody b4 because for me when i use the atm, i just collect the money and leave i dont count cos i believe the money is complete and i just leave, but i just thought of this and decided to bring it up here.

So i would like to hear from nairalanders, if anyone has experienced it before, maybe you withdrew 10k and it wasnt complete?
Nope it has only overpaid twice. 1k xtra
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by mynduu44: 12:52pm On Jun 08, 2016
There are two scenarios were an ATM can short pay or over pay you....

1.. Custodian Error: In this case the custodian slots 500 notes in the cash canisters of 1000 nd reverse, it will short pay some and over pay some since the machines software only detects the cannisters.
Also if the custodian fails to do due diligence on money given to him to load by not checking if there are other denomination e.g checking if there is a 500 note in a pack of 1000's nd reverse.

2.Partial dispense: A very rare occurrence but it happens, the machine counts ur total money but a failure to pick either one or two of the notes as it goes to the dispense mechanism. 90% is usually a note and this can be easily rectified by the custodian if he regularly balances his "till" account.

in otherwards, these are the types of Nigerians that count ATM dispensed cash:
* The Poor
*Those with trust issues
*The Stingy aka "Aka Gum"
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by topeontop(m): 1:01pm On Jun 08, 2016
OlowoB:
Well I only know of overpaid. Back then in LUTH, a friend of mine went to the machine and wanted to withdraw 10k (this machine is opposite FOODIE, a very popular restaurant in LUTH) after slotting in the card to withdraw the money, he discovered the machine paid him an extra 1k.

He slot in his card again and tried to withdraw another amount and the same thing happened. My guy who can think so fast grin just quickly ran to the cyber cafe and printed a flyer (COMPSSSA) saying DO NOT USE this machine cos it is out of order. He later went to go and pay more money into his account and also went to go and collect people's cards from them, using theirs also.

Infact, he made close to like 200k back then. He only told me after the deal had been done. I felt like slapping him. This was like 2008 when guys were so bad gan.

Special shout out to all Medilag students here 2005-2010.
I know you're lying but kwantinue.

1 Like

Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by Stoical: 1:07pm On Jun 08, 2016
pattyphil:
Never. Machines don't cheat na. gabbage in gabbage out. wat u type is wat u get. D only exception is wen ur village pple is at work.

It has happened to me o. This was Sterling's bank operated ATM besides a popular lounge called TUSCANI, along Obi Wale road, Rivers State.

We saw 2 guys complaining of being short paid, instead of 20k, it was 17k. I felt maybe theirs was much, that's why it short-paid them. I wanted to withdraw 5k and whoollaa, it was 3k5. I tried to call their customer care line but to no avail...well, it wasn't my cash, so the owner just say we should forget it, as it was on a Sunday, in December...so, never say never in Nigeria.
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by Stoical: 1:08pm On Jun 08, 2016
pattyphil:
Never. Machines don't cheat na. gabbage in gabbage out. wat u type is wat u get. D only exception is wen ur village pple is at work.

It has happened to me o. This was Sterling's bank operated ATM besides a popular lounge called TUSCANI, along Obi Wale road, Rivers State.

We saw 2 guys complaining of being short paid, instead of 20k, it was 17k. I felt maybe theirs was much, that's why it short-paid them. I wanted to withdraw 5k and whoollaa, it was 3k5. I tried to call their customer care line but to no avail...well, it wasn't my cash, so the owner just say we should forget it, as it was on a Sunday, in December 2015...so, never say never in Nigeria.
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by dazzler16(f): 2:07pm On Jun 08, 2016
I was underpaid just last week at UBA charity road, new oko oba. I typed in 17k and it paid me 15k. I was livid. No way to complain na. Crooks in that bank.
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by PAnaceA7(m): 2:08pm On Jun 08, 2016
age2richee:

I have experienced it... Back when access was intercontinental bank, it paid me 1k less. I went into the bank and complained, it was resolved and I was credited under 24hrs.

So it does happen.... haven't witnessed it yet and I pray I don't.
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by PAnaceA7(m): 2:11pm On Jun 08, 2016
emafa:

It happened to me bro. I used a Wema bank ATM in calabar and was short - payed. For each transaction I did, I was short - payed 1k. I reported the matter to the bank but they claimed it's not possible. so to avoid stories that touch again, I confirm the money before leaving the premises. I don't care who is watching or waiting. ATM can't scammed me again!!!!

Ehyah... sorry bro... some banks might be aware and do the needful while some others feign ignorance

It's only d lucky few that got their money back at least from d info on this thread
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by okangisaiah(f): 2:12pm On Jun 08, 2016
I was not short paid but a fake currency of one thousand was among the #20000 I withdrew from uba ATM. I only found out after 3 days bcoz I went kept the money in the house. I couldn't go back to the bank because they won't believe me.
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by PAnaceA7(m): 2:14pm On Jun 08, 2016
Kachisbarbie:

It is very possible. A human being like you and I loads the ATM and ensures it works "24hrs" not the Holy Spirit, so mistakes are bound to happen.
If the clamp is bad, a wrong denomination is put in a cassette_ it would definitely under/over pay you. It is just a machine, programmed to do the bidding of the operator.

That being said, the onus isn't on you to prove it_ you report, that's all. After their reconciliation, an overage of the said amount you (and probably other customers) were short paid is meant to reflect, CASH. It's up to the ATM custodian to declare it (the good) or suppress it (the bad).

Noted.... Before this thread I thought it's not possible now I know otherwise.
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by PAnaceA7(m): 2:16pm On Jun 08, 2016
mclaaro:
it does. It once happenedt to my sis, she sent ha frnd to use ha card,n ha frnd withdrew frm ha own acct as well, she put the money separately and started spending from hers, she gave my sis ha own money which was 500naira short,my sis told ha it wasn't complete, they both agreed she was short paid I said it wasn't possible, my sis sent a mail to ha back, they acknowledge it,apologize and refund d 500naira to ha acct. Wen she sent the mail I was still sayin is not possible I had to keep shut smiley when she showed me the mail n d 500naira crdt alert. SO IT HAPPENS

Did she just send d mail first before going back to the bank?
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by enjoy1100: 2:21pm On Jun 08, 2016
yes i requested for 20k and got nothing but was debited
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by westim(m): 2:22pm On Jun 08, 2016
Yeah, it happened while I was in school(FUTA), i helped a friend withdraw 3k n it gave me a 5k@ futa enterprise bank
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by bigerboy200: 2:30pm On Jun 08, 2016
lalaboi:
Nah..

But i have heard stories of how it did for some close friends. . .

I also find it weird counting money just withdrawn from the ATM at the ATM but my thinking of that has changed over the years. If its small amounts below 20K. . .omo i must count am right there to make sure its darn complete.
Lol..The question I keep asking myself n pple is..."if the money withdrawn isn't complete,who will u complain to? Cos u n I knows d bank will reject such complaints outrightly
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by Lushka(m): 2:56pm On Jun 08, 2016
OlowoB:
Well I only know of overpaid. Back then in LUTH, a friend of mine went to the machine and wanted to withdraw 10k (this machine is opposite FOODIE, a very popular restaurant in LUTH) after slotting in the card to withdraw the money, he discovered the machine paid him an extra 1k.

He slot in his card again and tried to withdraw another amount and the same thing happened. My guy who can think so fast grin just quickly ran to the cyber cafe and printed a flyer (COMPSSSA) saying DO NOT USE this machine cos it is out of order. He later went to go and pay more money into his account and also went to go and collect people's cards from them, using theirs also.

Infact, he made close to like 200k back then. He only told me after the deal had been done. I felt like slapping him. This was like 2008 when guys were so bad gan.

Special shout out to all Medilag students here 2005-2010.
[color=#990000][/color]
You can lie. Are you Lai Mohammed child?

1 Like

Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by banio: 3:05pm On Jun 08, 2016
I have met #1K hanging on an ATM.
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by Afritop(m): 3:20pm On Jun 08, 2016
zeyheed:
It gave me 11k instead of 12 @ ado
HOPE YOU RETURNED IT BBACK
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by lalaboi(m): 3:52pm On Jun 08, 2016
bigerboy200:

Lol..The question I keep asking myself n pple is..."if the money withdrawn isn't complete,who will u complain to? Cos u n I knows d bank will reject such complaints outrightly

How is the bank going to reject the claim? an investigation will be done and the ATM will be inspected. If you count the money there, there is a CCTV watching you. if an ATM under dispenses, they will know.

ATMs are not perfect.
http://www.bankrate.com/finance/banking/atms-mistake.aspx

1 Like

Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by destiny25(m): 6:28pm On Jun 08, 2016
YES OH, A GTB MACHINE PAID ME N14,500 INSTEAD OF 15K.

I FELT LIKE BREAKING THE MACHINE

IT WAS LIKE LOSING N5 MILLION NAIRA.

1 Like

Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by mecussey(m): 6:44pm On Jun 08, 2016
efficacy16:

You don't have to fight but lodge complain immediately if you are close to the bank.

sure...but why would someone block the ATM in the name of counting money, that's my concern.
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by mclaaro(f): 7:32pm On Jun 08, 2016
PAnaceA7:

Did she just send d mail first before going back to the bank?
she never went to the bank,just the email n next day It was reversed.
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by amanikondo: 10:12pm On Jun 08, 2016
The issue here is trust. Nigerians do not trust not to talk of trusting ATM.
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by PAnaceA7(m): 10:44pm On Jun 08, 2016
mclaaro:
she never went to the bank,just the email n next day It was reversed.

She must be very lucky... just like dat... what's d name of the bank if I may ask
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by mclaaro(f): 9:00am On Jun 09, 2016
PAnaceA7:

She must be very lucky... just like dat... what's d name of the bank if I may ask
this is free advert for GTB even though I don't v an acct. With them.
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by zeyheed(m): 11:50am On Jun 09, 2016
dav8id:

that can't be true..maybe your money hang when you are trying to collect it from the machine
Its true sir. 1k came out folded like 2 and it counted it as 2. 11 came out instead of 12 @ ado(oja oba area)
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by okey4reel(m): 12:12pm On Jun 09, 2016
destiny25:
YES OH, A GTB MACHINE PAID ME N14,500 INSTEAD OF 15K.

I FELT LIKE BREAKING THE MACHINE

IT WAS LIKE LOSING N5 MILLION NAIRA.
Lolzz, funny u
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by jpphilips(m): 4:12pm On Jun 09, 2016
A man who counts funds from an ATM machine have serious trust issues.

1 Like

Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by pyx: 4:16pm On Jun 09, 2016
I once experienced it in Ibadan FBN Mokola round about short of 1k , I later discovered one of the note came out folded into two
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by PAnaceA7(m): 4:22pm On Jun 09, 2016
mclaaro:
this is free advert for GTB even though I don't v an acct. With them.

lol.... don't worry about d advert, I already have an acct with them... Thanks

1 Like

Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by gonkraziiiiii: 9:40pm On Jun 09, 2016
PAnaceA7:

If TRUE... u must be very lucky then..How where you even able to convince them wen it's not that the security man/woman at d ATM was with you wen it happened
D dier security officer happened to be passing by when it happened and I am kinda friendly with everyone at diamond bank so I made plenty noise oooo,and dey also saw in d system dat d ATM ddnt pay me....infact dey returned 20k sef....so me I quietly chop d balance of 8k

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

OIL PRICE CRASH: Nigeria In Top 5 At-Risk Countries - Global Risk Insights / CBN Cash Withdrawal Limits May Hinder Economic Growth As It Happened In India / Venturing Into Perfume Business:advice Needed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.