Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,054 members, 7,810,939 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 06:52 PM

Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? (21644 Views)

Did The ATM In Computer Village Scam Me? / 9 Reasons Why The ATM Swallows An ATM Card. / Are You In Lagos? Don't Visit The ATM On Friday !! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by samnijazz: 8:51am On Jun 08, 2016
The place no longer function for ATM use again, it is now used for printing. I guess these are the things that crumpled the business
OlowoB:
Well I only know of overpaid. Back then in LUTH, a friend of mine went to the machine and wanted to withdraw 10k (this machine is opposite FOODIE, a very popular restaurant in LUTH) after slotting in the card to withdraw the money, he discovered the machine paid him an extra 1k.

He slot in his card again and tried to withdraw another amount and the same thing happened. My guy who can think so fast grin just quickly ran to the cyber cafe and printed a flyer (COMPSSSA) saying DO NOT USE this machine cos it is out of order. He later went to go and pay more money into his account and also went to go and collect people's cards from them, using theirs also.

Infact, he made close to like 200k back then. He only told me after the deal had been done. I felt like slapping him. This was like 2008 when guys were so bad gan.

Special shout out to all Medilag students here 2005-2010.
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by Jigah(m): 8:57am On Jun 08, 2016
Yes o... it has twice not even once in abuja wuse II. Even the security guy was advising me what to do next time to avoid such short payment... that is it happens... and i a friend of mine had same expirience 4k instead of 5k.
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by Nobody: 8:59am On Jun 08, 2016
PAnaceA7:
Not possible........Dats why I laff whenever I see Pple count money in front of d ATM....

Let's assume it shortchanged you, how do u even prove it to d bank.

It is very possible. A human being like you and I loads the ATM and ensures it works "24hrs" not the Holy Spirit, so mistakes are bound to happen.
If the clamp is bad, a wrong denomination is put in a cassette_ it would definitely under/over pay you. It is just a machine, programmed to do the bidding of the operator.

That being said, the onus isn't on you to prove it_ you report, that's all. After their reconciliation, an overage of the said amount you (and probably other customers) were short paid is meant to reflect, CASH. It's up to the ATM custodian to declare it (the good) or suppress it (the bad).
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by Amplitron: 9:03am On Jun 08, 2016
My experience was a funny but puzzling one. The machine brought out the right amount but a N1,000 note was not aligned with the the rest of the notes. I took the other notes and then tried taking the N1,000 note but the machine was already pulling it back in. So, it was a tug of war between the ATM and I. Of course the machine won. Still wandering what just happened I stood there telling the security man and some other people around including a few friends who were also there. I stood there and was hoping that the next person will be overpaid by the machine and I can convince him that the excess 1k was mine. What the machine did next surprised me even more. It didn't overpay the person ooo but it refused to let go of his card after paying him the exact amount he requested for. It then brought out another single 1k note. He was confused. I just said "bros, that's my money" . Other people who knew what happened corroborated my claims and he gave it to me.

1 Like

Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by Mom007(f): 9:04am On Jun 08, 2016
Some times the currency is mixed up. This may lead to shortage or it will exceed depending on your luck. Those are human error though, made by the staff of the operating bank that loaded the machine.
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by okonja(m): 9:05am On Jun 08, 2016
dav8id:

that can't be true..maybe your money hang when you are trying to collect it from the machine

I am a victim. The first bank ATM @ ABM plaza in Utako Abuja paid me 9k instead of 10k, I counted it in front of the people on queue and everyone was surprised as well. I went in to lodge complaint but I was told the money in compartment inside the ATM for such error is more than 1k, so my complain wasn't disregarded and since there was receipt to prove it, I left honorably.

So, for the manager to admit a compartment for such error is available, then it is very possible l. cool
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by Mom007(f): 9:06am On Jun 08, 2016
Amplitron:
My experience was a funny but puzzling one. The machine brought out the right amount but a N1,000 note was not aligned with the the rest of the notes. I took the other notes and then tried taking the N1,000 note but the machine was already pushing it back in. So, it was a tug of war between the ATM and I. Of course the machine won. Still wandering what just happened I stood there telling the security man and some other people around including a few friends who were also there. I stood there and was hoping that the next person will be overpaid by the machine and I can convince him that the excess 1k was mine. What the machine did next surprised me even more. It didn't overpay the person ooo but it refused to let go of his card after paying him the exact amount he requested for. It then brought out another single 1k note. He was confused. I just said "bros, that's my money" . Other people who knew what happened corroborated my claims and he gave it to me.

grin crazy machine!
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by sirusX(m): 9:12am On Jun 08, 2016
dav8id:

that can't be true..maybe your money hang when you are trying to collect it from the machine

Na so I enter one chance with one ATM...as money dispense na so the collection kpali no gree open well. undecided
o boy, na tug of war get me oh...see dragging of my money with ATM. angry
Na wetin cause me to count my money...and I see say the amount short, so I gats raise the kpali again...low and behold, my money dey rest easy for under there. E mean say I wan bless the next user of the ATM
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by patostation(m): 9:15am On Jun 08, 2016
If you are familiar with the counting machine, you will realise that anything is possible. Since the ATM dispensing technique is similar to that of the counting machine, occasionally, a faulty machine can seize money, tear money, jump-count money, even debit you without dispensing any cash. It is not due to any Nigerian corruption but because of failure to service the machines on due dates
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by OlowoB(m): 9:25am On Jun 08, 2016
cityAdventures:

So as recently as 2008, people were loaning out their cards with passwords abi? If i hear. And no one was seeing him withdraw cos it was hidden, abi?

You can lie for africa.

Anyway, my atm used to pay me 19k every midnight. Thats everyday. This was 2002 or 2003. Then it was ATMC that had d most machines- atm consortium n their machines wrre always down. And u couldnt use an interswitch machine on atmc anyway.

So i was always all over school n lagos looking for a blinking machine. So i got 19k(which was my final balance before it started overpaying me) for more than a month.

Then i got greedy and paid in 60k, so i would be getting the maximum allowable balance everyday.

Then...it ended. Talk about killing the goose that lays the golden egg.

We werr d early adopters of technology and as it is with any such technologies, you either lose or gain wen u r an early adopter.

You are very slow..... It was MEDILAG (students environment) The guy went to withdraw the money around 11pm -12am according to him. He would remove the flyer and replace it. He did it continuously for about a week.

For people that have him their cards, he gave them 5k each as compensation and they later changed their passwords. It will aslo interest you to know that the guy was YAHOO boy then so he also had multiple bank accounts.

I have no reason to lie. Finally, if you doubt anything, always ask politely instead of calling someone names. Have a nice day sir.
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by Ejanla11(m): 9:28am On Jun 08, 2016
dav8id:

it happens very well.
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by invectives(m): 9:36am On Jun 08, 2016
Yes!! I erroneously loaded N1000 notes in N500 compartment. first person to withdraw was my internal control officer.he was paid N10000 for a N5000 withdrawal.
He brought it to me and it was immediately corrected.
So if they erroneously load N500 in N1000 compartment!!! Hmmmmm.
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by bolliejay(m): 9:40am On Jun 08, 2016
YES.......it happened to me...i wanted to collect 10k but 9k came out at UBA Arida-Ikotun branch in 2009. unfortunately nobody believed the story even the bank officials too
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by casmir378: 9:43am On Jun 08, 2016
Diamond bank paid me 14k instead of 30k....back in month of March 2014....den maximum withdrawal exceed 20k....venue; diamond bank along north bank road (old bridge ) makurdi ....d security man was my witness den...and it happened on a Saturday morning
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by muyibaba222(m): 9:43am On Jun 08, 2016
yea...... it short-paid me back den in school. it dispensed #4500 instead of 5k. They didnt bliv me when i went inside the bank to complain cos the machine was loaded with #1000 note (for dere side), but the camera help to convince them as d #500 was the last note, so it was able capture it as i was about puttin it in my wallet (meself no count am). The #500 was what brought my attention to it cos i knew the machine to be dispensing #1000 note. mehn! i collected my #500 the day by hand cos i've been debited already.
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by savanto: 10:02am On Jun 08, 2016
Patented:
I don't understand why people count money in front of the ATM. I don't know anyone who has been short payed but even if that happens counting in front of d machine won't help. If it's short are u gonna drag d machine or what?

I used to think so before but no no. Though I find it awkward counting money in front of a computer but i know someone who had a bad experience with the ATM in Benin City. After the transaction, he counted the money right there and discovered he as short-payed by N5k. Guess what he did?

Still standing in front of the machine, he raised his hands and said loudly "I received so and so amount instead of so and so amount from so and so branch ATM) He then left and reported to the bank the next day because it as already late. An argument ensued between him and the bank staff in charge of the ATM. It as his word against theirs, so he left that branch and went to their head office and reported the matter. The Head of Operations demanded for the footage and when it was played in his presence, they summoned the staff who was arguing with the young man and asked him if there as excess fund in that ATM a day before. He banker denied having excess cash with him. His branch manager was called to talk to him and he finally admitted to keeping the excess money at the end of the day.

To cut the story short, the customer as refunded right there from the account of the banker. He was instructed to fill a withdrawal slip. So i think one can be short-payed by the ATM and get a refund if you have proof.
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by Situation001(m): 10:21am On Jun 08, 2016
sometimes the machine dispense fake notes.. That is why some people count to discover if dere's any fake note there..

I've seen some people complain..

1 Like

Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by Ayus4u(m): 10:27am On Jun 08, 2016
my own is additional pay of N500
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by slye(m): 10:38am On Jun 08, 2016
Yes it happened to me at skye bank @Marina .. I intended to withdraw 5k, only for N500 to be included in the 1000 naira notes. .so i ended up getting 4500 instead.
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by efficacy16: 10:48am On Jun 08, 2016
ATM can pay less due to the error from the person that counted the money before slotting into the machine.

The mistake is usually by adding #500 notes in between #1000 notes.

So, the machine will see the #500 note as a #1000 note and thereby short-pay the user.

Anything apart from that, it's not possible.
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by Resilience: 11:08am On Jun 08, 2016
OlowoB:
Well I only know of overpaid. Back then in LUTH, a friend of mine went to the machine and wanted to withdraw 10k (this machine is opposite FOODIE, a very popular restaurant in LUTH) after slotting in the card to withdraw the money, he discovered the machine paid him an extra 1k.

He slot in his card again and tried to withdraw another amount and the same thing happened. My guy who can think so fast grin just quickly ran to the cyber cafe and printed a flyer (COMPSSSA) saying DO NOT USE this machine cos it is out of order. He later went to go and pay more money into his account and also went to go and collect people's cards from them, using theirs also.

Infact, he made close to like 200k back then. He only told me after the deal had been done. I felt like slapping him. This was like 2008 when guys were so bad gan.

Special shout out to all Medilag students here 2005-2010.
Bros this ur story get as e be sha o, e get k-leg o

1 Like

Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by emafa(m): 11:12am On Jun 08, 2016
PAnaceA7:
Not possible........Dats why I laff whenever I see Pple count money in front of d ATM....

It happened to me bro. I used a Wema bank ATM in calabar and was short - payed. For each transaction I did, I was short - payed 1k. I reported the matter to the bank but they claimed it's not possible. so to avoid stories that touch again, I confirm the money before leaving the premises. I don't care who is watching or waiting. ATM can't scammed me again!!!!
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by mikaael(m): 11:15am On Jun 08, 2016
lollystiver:
it gave me 10k instead of 1k it was around 10:11pm at night I don't kw where to return the money so I took it home

lie mohammed offspring spotted...u shud ve informed d security guys
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by ghostofsparta(m): 11:18am On Jun 08, 2016
Emmatdayo:
OP correct urself, its ATM and nt ATM Machine
Correct yourself as it is 'yourself' not urself, 'not' rather than nt

1 Like

Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by age2richee: 11:24am On Jun 08, 2016
PAnaceA7:

I have experienced it... Back when access was intercontinental bank, it paid me 1k less. I went into the bank and complained, it was resolved and I was credited under 24hrs.
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by mecussey(m): 11:34am On Jun 08, 2016
okey4reel:
i have come across people who withdraw money from the ATM and stood there to count the money to be sure if its complete, hmmmm i dont understand this, has ATM ever short-paid anybody b4 because for me when i use the atm, i just collect the money and leave i dont count cos i believe the money is complete and i just leave, but i just thought of this and decided to bring it up here.

So i would like to hear from nairalanders, if anyone has experienced it before, maybe you withdrew 10k and it wasnt complete?

I wonder, and even if it shortpaid, who u wan fight at that point?
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by AlanSugar(m): 11:41am On Jun 08, 2016
seunny4lif:

MOD pls do the meanful grin grin
Abeg Ban all this people angry angry
They just wasted all the space grin

Space na tomatoes? grin grin grin
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by seunny4lif(m): 11:43am On Jun 08, 2016
grin grin
Una dey waste FP grin grin grin
AlanSugar:

Space na tomatoes? grin grin grin
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by heritage2009(m): 11:44am On Jun 08, 2016
okey4reel:

thanks

ATM is ATM = Automated Teller Machine
Not ATM Machine. That tautology Of the word machine
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by efficacy16: 11:44am On Jun 08, 2016
mecussey:

I wonder, and even if it shortpaid, who u wan fight at that point?

You don't have to fight but lodge complain immediately if you are close to the bank.
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by heritage2009(m): 11:44am On Jun 08, 2016
okey4reel:

thanks

ATM is ATM = Automated Teller Machine
Not ATM Machine. That is tautology Of the word machine
Re: Has The ATM Ever Short-paid Anyone Before? by Qudbell(m): 12:02pm On Jun 08, 2016
pattyphil:
Never. Machines don't cheat na. gabbage in gabbage out. wat u type is wat u get. D only exception is wen ur village pple is at work.
who told u?? like machines are not susceptible to error..

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Fire Outbreak At Main Market, Onitsha, Anambra State (Pics, Video) / OIL PRICE CRASH: Nigeria In Top 5 At-Risk Countries - Global Risk Insights / CBN Cash Withdrawal Limits May Hinder Economic Growth As It Happened In India

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.